PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Choppiness, Lag, Stuttering & Slow Performance on PC

doolezah
26th Feb 2014, 02:53
Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, and Hitman: Absolution work beautifully on my machine with near maxed out graphics settings and resolutions. Thief, however, even on Very Low settings stutters, has nearly 0 FPS at times, and is almost impossible to start in Steam (i.e., I get a blank screen for several minutes).

While I understand my machine may be due for an upgrade, it's not THAT bad given the performance of other games listed above. Is Thief another Nocturne, Doom III, and even Thief II: The Metal Age jump ahead in required computer specs? All of those games caused similar problems requiring upgrades years and years ago.

Here's the run down. Maybe I need Cutty to help me get better equipment if this game is so needy.

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R 1.1
bios: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 3.16 GHz
memory: 8 GB
graphics card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
display driver: 334.89
sound: Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard)

directx: DirectX 11
page file: 2577MB used, 6829MB available (managed by Windows)
resolution: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

steam overlay: disabled

Any suggestions? Help? Recommendations? Lamentations? Alms for the CPU poor? ;)

Mik James
26th Feb 2014, 04:09
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=141657

Might be a poorly optimized game. But it does indeed look like a cpu bottleneck.

doolezah
26th Feb 2014, 14:47
Thanks, Mik. I believe you and the others in that thread you shared are on to something. I tested the game out at work with a similar model graphics card, older OS (Win 7), and better CPU with better results on "Normal" setting--making the game playable there. The specs for the work machine are below for comparison.

computer: Dell OptiPlex 390
motherboard: (unknown)
bios: (unknown) Default System BIOS
processor: Intel Core 2 i5-2400 3.10 GHz
memory: 8 GB
graphics card: GeForce GTX 560 (4GB)
display driver: 306.23
sound: Conexant HD Audio (onboard)

directx: DirectX 11
page file: 2787MB used, 13541MB available (managed by Windows)
resolution: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

steam overlay: enabled

Mik James
26th Feb 2014, 18:28
I just decided to play through anyways, after the prologue the framerate seems slightly better for some reason. I get an average 20 frames per second in out door areas with momentary drops to 15 and maybe 30 frames in smaller areas of the game.

The benchmark seems like a bad way to judge overall fps, especially for the cpu. It has a lot of npc's on screen.

Funny thing is some console gamers don't appear to be fairing all that much better. I've seen complaint's of frame drops.

Lucky for us pc gamers, all we have to do is drop in better cpu's :D

beyondthesun
27th Feb 2014, 09:55
Here is a nice and informative PC performance analysis, which very much shows how the game doesn't handle 4 cores and it has some serious and very bad stuttering. This is not the first time for Nixxes, I don't understand why they can't do something about this annoying issue. I hope they will fix it in a patch.

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/thief-pc-performance-analysis/

NIB
27th Feb 2014, 11:39
Here is a nice and informative PC performance analysis, which very much shows how the game doesn't handle 4 cores and it has some serious and very bad stuttering. This is not the first time for Nixxes, I don't understand why they can't do something about this annoying issue. I hope they will fix it in a patch.

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/thief-pc-performance-analysis/

They "only" got an average of 70-85fps with a GTX690? No wonder so many people complain about low fps

DTlaw
27th Feb 2014, 22:02
They "only" got an average of 70-85fps with a GTX690? No wonder so many people complain about low fps

Yep next gen is here. I have 2 680 classifieds and both are sitting at a pretty constant 99% which I didnt see much last gen. Let the upgrades begin. Lucky im getting 2x 780 ti ghz editions next week ;)