PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: The Fall is comng to PC

Berr
25th Feb 2014, 23:11
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Deus-Ex-The-Fall-PC

I did not expect this! But a welcome move.

As one (of the few?) who has an iPad AND likes core games, I have already played The Fall and can recommend it.

It's light-weight compared to DXHR and relatively small, but its got that DX feel, worth playing for a DX 'snack' while we wait for the next AAA release. And for people who have read The Icarus Effect (novel), it's cool to find out what happens next for Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso.

CyberP
26th Feb 2014, 14:07
This is Eidos Montreal/Square Enix with the release of Thi4f, Directors Cut, The Fall and now this port, and all the other abused IPs:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqlk6uWgCh1r1rvcno1_500.gif

Meanwhile in Activision's corner of the industry: http://imgur.com/AhUiTYv

Shralla
26th Feb 2014, 17:26
Meh.

Spyhopping
26th Feb 2014, 17:29
A new DX-style city hub for me to explore? Yes please. I never got to finish it on a tablet, so I rather wanted to see The Fall come to more accessible platforms :whistle:

JCpies
26th Feb 2014, 20:36
There's a new hub?

Spyhopping
26th Feb 2014, 20:48
In The Fall, yes. It's new to me anyway ;)

THC 303
26th Feb 2014, 23:55
bought
of course

ThePreciseClimber
27th Feb 2014, 06:39
No XBLA/PSN versions? Kind of weird since both HR and HRDC came out on those consoles. Are they hiding something? Is the port just not very good or something? I have a feeling it's not gonna get the AC3 Liberation treatment where they massively updated the graphics, sound quality and everything.

DarkForge
1st Mar 2014, 10:49
Can't say I'm surprised, I always had a feeling a PC release would happen sooner or later. Happy to hear it though; I didn't like the idea of a Deus Ex instalment being kept from my reach. Will certainly be picking this up, perhaps when I finally get around to checking out The Missing Link.

Thanks EM! :)

Shralla
1st Mar 2014, 18:23
Anybody want to take any bets on whether it will be the same price it is on mobile devices or if they'll hike the price up to $10 or $15 like they've been doing with all the mobile ports on Steam?

Oppopji
1st Mar 2014, 21:59
Anybody want to take any bets on whether it will be the same price it is on mobile devices or if they'll hike the price up to $10 or $15 like they've been doing with all the mobile ports on Steam?

No need: http://store.steampowered.com/app/258180/

It's $9.99 / £7.99 / €9.99

Shralla
1st Mar 2014, 22:55
Because old mobile games are worth more when they're ported to PC. Or something.

Jito463
2nd Mar 2014, 07:09
Just out of curiosity, how much is it on the phones? To an extent, I get it, because there was some work involved in porting it over (at least, I hope they put some effort into it), but I'm curious to see how much they raised the price.

68_pie
2nd Mar 2014, 08:20
Just out of curiosity, how much is it on the phones? To an extent, I get it, because there was some work involved in porting it over (at least, I hope they put some effort into it), but I'm curious to see how much they raised the price.

It's £4.99 on the Play store.

-Neon-
2nd Mar 2014, 15:38
I, for one, can't wait. I'm on the verge of finishing Icarus Effect, so I'd love a wrap up to Ben and Anna's stories.

Spyhopping
2nd Mar 2014, 20:00
Just know that Anna might not be quite the character you've been visualising in the book. Other than that, what I've played so far has been fun.

hybridex
5th Mar 2014, 21:57
I still don't understand.. how do you guys enjoy the games on PC? Oh, I'm not knocking it. To each his own, but still hard to enjoy the game in such a small screen and the keyboard control is not so user friendly.

-Neon-
5th Mar 2014, 22:10
For me, playing on a small screen is all I've ever known. Maybe when I get my own place, I'll hook my desktop up to a nice big TV.

JCpies
5th Mar 2014, 23:14
Just know that Anna might not be quite the character you've been visualising in the book. Other than that, what I've played so far has been fun.

I thought she dyed her hair 'n stuff at the end of the novel.

Or does The Fall mess that up the continuity-wise?

Shralla
5th Mar 2014, 23:45
I still don't understand.. how do you guys enjoy the games on PC? Oh, I'm not knocking it. To each his own, but still hard to enjoy the game in such a small screen and the keyboard control is not so user friendly.

22-24 inches isn't really that small when you're only a couple feet away at most. I find the keyboard to be much more user friendly than gamepads as I use it every day in my normal life, and find the accessibility of a higher number of keys to be much more convenient than the limited buttons on a gamepad, which forces you to take your thumb off one of the sticks in order to use any buttons other than L3 and R3. I can hit any button around WASD on my keyboard and still have complete freedom of movement, as well as hit five buttons on my mouse without sacrificing my ability to aim for even a fraction of a second. Since this is a forum for an FPS, I assume we're talking about first-person controls.

I don't find gamepads to be user friendly at all, at least not for shooters.

Unstoppable
6th Mar 2014, 07:32
Saw this it's 9.99 here and free deus ex original GOTY edition..

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-deus-ex-the-fall/5007716?mediaType=1&mediaId=24015438

Jito463
6th Mar 2014, 14:55

My PC is hooked up to a 32" LCD TV for its monitor. As for keyboard/trackball (I don't use a mouse, I prefer the finer control a trackball provides), as Shralla pointed out, they're far better for shooters than gamepads; even though I don't actually classify DX as a shooter. That's why consoles have to include aim assist, because the gamepad doesn't provide as fine of control as a mouse. It's not a knock on consoles, just a statement of fact.

Shralla
6th Mar 2014, 19:21
Saw this it's 9.99 here and free deus ex original GOTY edition..

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-deus-ex-the-fall/5007716?mediaType=1&mediaId=24015438

That's exactly the same deal that's on Steam, and you need a Steam account regardless.

BridgetFisher
6th Mar 2014, 21:51
Hmmmm....
Isnt this like not a full game? What is the point of buying it wasnt this game cancelled? I thought it was supposed to be episodic so this is one part and it has on conclusion Im guessing? Can anyone who played this comment how it felt as a game, was it a whole story or like not I guess haha, not sure how to put that question :P

Shralla
6th Mar 2014, 23:45
Whatever it is, it's on sale for a dollar on phones right now.

CyberP
7th Mar 2014, 01:31
Stop knocking console pads! I love my console pads :p I would tell you both where you are wrong also, but meh. There are benefits to both pads and M+K. I know this because I use both on the regular.

BridgetFisher
7th Mar 2014, 14:00
They should change the name to "Deus Ex: The Fail", as in the game was a failure episodically because no other episodes were made. Were the sales really that bad for this game? Id buy this since I like Deus ex if it had more episodes. Buying just like one chapter for 10$ that doesnt interest me very much without knowing if the others will be made. Sadly I dont think the others will be made, pretty sure if there were gonna be more episodes the devs would have said so, and they havent, so I dont get the high price, it should be like 5$ not 10$.

hybridex
7th Mar 2014, 18:02
Hey, it's what you're comfortable with. I find it a much better experience with the sight and sound that comes with larger screen and surround sound system. Also, I'm sure by the time The Fall comes out on console, it should be about 10 bucks..

Berr
9th Mar 2014, 22:48
We don't really know anything about how DXTF has gone, other than the near universal hatred of mobile DX here on the forums.

We don't know how well it sold. We don't know if more episodes are being made. The silence doesn't necessarily mean more episodes aren't being made. After all, the Android release was sudden without any prior announcements (other than that it would come to Android one day), and the PC version release had no warning at all.

I've got my fingers crossed for more. It was a bit of fun, and I like Ben and Anna. Also, we need a next chapter so we can get a section where we play as Anna!

singularity
10th Mar 2014, 10:48
They should change the name to "Deus Ex: The Fail", as in the game was a failure episodically because no other episodes were made. Were the sales really that bad for this game? Id buy this since I like Deus ex if it had more episodes. Buying just like one chapter for 10$ that doesnt interest me very much without knowing if the others will be made. Sadly I dont think the others will be made, pretty sure if there were gonna be more episodes the devs would have said so, and they havent, so I dont get the high price, it should be like 5$ not 10$.

When was it ever said the game was supposed to be episodic? I thought from the begining it was said that this would simply be a DX release on mobile platforms. It's not titled "episode 1" or anything similar, and no other DX game names are trademarked (or have been for a very long time now). Also, from what I understand, the characters and pieces of the plot tie directly into DXHR and the novel Icarus Effect. Why would they need episodes - it's not like the story and setting are completely new?

As far as mobile games go, it got decent ratings. But not a single DX fan I know bought the game - many simply to spite Eidos for releasing something on the mobile platform. The message many fans tried to send with their wallets was "give us a DXHR expansion or get to work on a full PC sequel - stop wasting time and resources with a cell phone game". That's where most of the negativity comes from.

Since I don't own a smart phone or pad (and likely won't for years to come), this will be my first chance to play it. Definitely going to wait for a price drop though - 1 dollar for the mobile version, 10 dollars for the PC version? Please... I waited this long, I can wait a few more months for Steam's summer sale and pick this up for a fraction of the price.

Ashpolt
10th Mar 2014, 11:05
I don't have the press release link to hand, but The Fall was definitely intended to be the first episode of a larger story - I think it was going to be 5 parts, IIRC? I don't know if that's still the case or not though: it got a seemingly lukewarm reaction on iOS (the gameplay statistics posted by the CM following its release suggested not many players at all) and there's been such a long gap without any more news on the following chapters that I wouldn't be at all surprised (or, to be honest, disappointed) if they've been canned. The Fall is / was an admirable attempt at bringing Deus Ex to the mobile market, but the fact is that it's just not what the audience wanted, and anyone with an ounce of understanding of the market could have told them that (and, indeed, did.) It certainly wasn't the shameless cheap cash in we feared it might be - instead it was a decent game that simply should never have existed in the first place.

Arkose
11th Mar 2014, 20:39
The Deus Ex: Universe announcement (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/future-vision-for-deus-ex?theme=deusex) mentioned mobile games so a new one will probably be revealed some time this year to help build hype for the main new Deus Ex game.

FrankCSIS
11th Mar 2014, 23:31
It certainly wasn't the shameless cheap cash in we feared it might be - instead it was a decent game that simply should never have existed in the first place.

The funny bit is, the fake 8-bit game featuring Jensen and JC would have most likely sold more :p

BridgetFisher
12th Mar 2014, 18:28
I don't have the press release link to hand, but The Fall was definitely intended to be the first episode of a larger story - I think it was going to be 5 parts, IIRC? I don't know if that's still the case or not though: it got a seemingly lukewarm reaction on iOS (the gameplay statistics posted by the CM following its release suggested not many players at all) and there's been such a long gap without any more news on the following chapters that I wouldn't be at all surprised (or, to be honest, disappointed) if they've been canned. The Fall is / was an admirable attempt at bringing Deus Ex to the mobile market, but the fact is that it's just not what the audience wanted, and anyone with an ounce of understanding of the market could have told them that (and, indeed, did.) It certainly wasn't the shameless cheap cash in we feared it might be - instead it was a decent game that simply should never have existed in the first place.

I bet if alot of suckers buy it on PC, then they will make the rest of the episodes, that would be very good.
Maybe that is why their putting it on PC, to get more money so they can afford to make the rest of the episodes?

Shralla
12th Mar 2014, 21:55
The funny bit is, the fake 8-bit game featuring Jensen and JC would have most likely sold more :p

See: Gunpoint (http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/), Dex (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg)

FrankCSIS
13th Mar 2014, 00:06
See: Gunpoint (http://store.steampowered.com/app/206190/), Dex (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/dex-cyberpunk-2d-rpg)

Take my money!

Beyond what has already been said, I think the most embarrassing part of this project is the strange timing. DX is not a franchise. At least, not in the sense commonly used, and certainly not the kind which could explain what is essentially a companion game, released two looooooooooooong years after the game it's meant to accompany. So many titles were released between those two, you might as well try to sell a companion game to the Alf tv show franchise. (Cue Milhouse saying "Hey Bart! Remember Jensen! He's back! On iOs!")

For Cthulhu's sake, release it 1-2 months after the first game, or make a tie-in companion game 1-2 months prior to the next title release. Still wouldn't be my choice of format, but at least some people may actually think it's worth spending a few bucks and an hour on it, while DX is on their mind. You can't possibly act as if the franchise existed in a bubble, and the rest of the world played absolutely no games in between DX releases, anxiously awaiting the next format launch!

I s'pose the point was to try something in the tablet market, all the while keeping the talented guys from the core team occupied between actual projects. The outcome was so utterly predictable though, I really hope no one really believed things would have turned out any other way.

Wulfgar
18th Mar 2014, 09:04
Now this sucks. I was about to play The Fall on PC but there is NO option to change the controls. Only default settings. Wtf?!

Sense/Net
18th Mar 2014, 09:30
Now this sucks. I was about to play The Fall on PC but there is NO option to change the controls. Only default settings. Wtf?!

Completely ******* absurd. If i'd had any idea that this lacked the most basic of PC features I never would have bought it. The default WSAD are way to cramped for my large hands and I didn't think for a second the Eidos would pull something so mind-shatteringly ******* stupid after the excellence of DXHR.

Deus Ex: The Fail indeed :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

UJH
18th Mar 2014, 10:45
Really? They did remove the "golden filter" in their **** up "DC" edition.. and they did bring it back in "The Fall"? They gotta be **** kidding me. A broken game.

Silver Ivan
18th Mar 2014, 12:49
I was about to play The Fall on PC but there is NO option to change the controls.
I didn't remember, how it was in Human Revolution (last time played Mission Link previous year), but i was surprised, that "x" used for applying something in menu instead "a". Well, after hour in-game it isn't looks so unusual:)

Galnospoke
18th Mar 2014, 13:33
Not interested. DX HR DC is still unfinished and I vote with my wallet.

Shralla
18th Mar 2014, 16:11
Half-assed port no wai

Oppopji
18th Mar 2014, 16:50
After the poor state that DXHR DC was released in (and is still in) I decided to hold off buying this & wait for user reviews first, as I did with Thief... looks like I made the right decision. I'll wait & see if the issues get fixed.

Shralla
18th Mar 2014, 22:50
Yikes.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/258180/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated

besyuziki
19th Mar 2014, 05:10
Like a great protagonist once said, what a shame. I was planning to give this a try on PC, knowing it would be a cheap mobile port with lackluster features, but no keymapping is a dealbreaker for me because I'm left handed and I have to change bindings in every game.

Between the sales of the mobile version and the huge negative response to the PC port, I guess we shouldn't expect a resolution to the cliffhanger ending anytime soon.

(and no I haven't played the mobile version either, all I know is that there's a cliffhanger ending)

SageSavage
19th Mar 2014, 06:04
Ugh... what's up with the downward spiral, EM?

DXHR
DXHR: The Missing Link
DXHR DC
DX: The Fall
Thief
DX: The Fall for PC

Six releases - (the first) two well received, four ranging from "unnecessary" and "underwhelming" to "catastrophic" (the latest one).

Edit: I forgot The Missing Link, of course!

Spyhopping
19th Mar 2014, 08:17
Hmm oh dear. I have the PC version of The Fall now so I'll have a play later this week to make my own mind up.

CyberP
19th Mar 2014, 14:41
Meanwhile Dark Souls II is top of the charts in Japan and 2nd in the UK. A "hardcore" game surely with a budget of just a few million. Are you paying attention, Square-Enix?

I am enjoying getting my ass handed to me, it's harder than the first. I prefer the first so far for it's level design and that the challenge was a perfect balance aside from some easy exploits but the game is pretty faithful and the level design in 2 aint bad so far..

Spyhopping
19th Mar 2014, 19:58
Spent a bit of spare time on the PC version of The Fall this evening. Have only just glanced past the point that I got to on a tablet a few months back, so I don't have too much more to say on the story/missions.

It's more or less exactly the same- in-fact, so far for me it's been better. The biggest problem I had with this game was that I couldn't aim or shoot well at all on the tablet and now that problem is solved.

The negative reviews are probably more down to this game sticking out as different a lot more on the PC, rather than it being a bad port. It was originally made for a more casual platform than PC, but it's still the same game. There's city exploration, the new tracks are great, the environments look nice and there's a generous amount of datacubes, ebooks and emails scattered around. Aside from some awkward voice acting (oh dear Anna), the lack of multiple save files and some minor conversation stutters, I'm honestly enjoying playing it for what it is.

JCpies
19th Mar 2014, 21:21
Started playing it, but I'm a bit disappointed. I think it was a poor decision to develop it for handhelds, really. Not that I know how good sales were.

I think my audio is glitched too.

Update: Played more, finished the prologue and still not really impressed. The formula is fine, I'm just put off by the the character models and handheld level animation. There's some good dialogue in the audio recordings, but the dialogue intended for people to catch up on the story is pretty weak. UI is odd, and the sound keeps glitching. It makes me want to read the book again, and play Human Revolution.

I remember back before it was announced that I though about how cool a Ben Saxon DLC or game would be, I do wish it was DLC. Maybe things will get more interesting as the game progresses.

I think I had my hopes up too high.

Another update: I think this may be a bad sign for things to come, with "Deus Ex Universe". I don't mind them expanding the setting and narrative through multiple mediums, but if those mediums are going to be splintered between a bunch of handheld and regular releases, I don't know if it will turn out decent. The original Deus Ex is like one large novel. If you split it up into different parts, it just wouldn't work as well as it does.

Shralla
19th Mar 2014, 23:28
The negative reviews are probably more down to this game sticking out as different a lot more on the PC, rather than it being a bad port.

You can't even rebind your controls!

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2014, 08:40
As I'm not truly PC gamer material I guess I fail to see the significance of that. I have become more of a console type person over the years.

As an aside I'm now little bit surprised as to what my old laptop can handle with it's integrated card. I had signed it off as not a gaming PC, but I think I may have made an error there.

OdanUrr
20th Mar 2014, 10:36
TB's impressions:

http://youtu.be/rEpfTfgzWp0

pirate1802
20th Mar 2014, 10:52
TB's impressions:

A lot of BSN folks are here as well :O

I like TB's impressions. Should be a fun watch, either way.

68_pie
20th Mar 2014, 12:43
You can't even rebind your controls!

As I'm not truly PC gamer material I guess I fail to see the significance of that.

You really can't see the common situation where people might want to rebind their controls? Say, 11% of the population? Or even just people with different keyboards?

Sometimes you do come up with the most awful rot.

pirate1802
20th Mar 2014, 12:46
Yeah, like my F2 is broken so I suppose I can't use whatever aug is mapped to it.

-Neon-
20th Mar 2014, 14:58
TB's impressions:

Not really a fan of TotalBiscuit, but he has convinced me not to buy The Fall and to watch a playthrough instead.

CyberP
20th Mar 2014, 15:14
As I'm not truly PC gamer material I guess I fail to see the significance of that. I have become more of a console type person over the years.

As an aside I'm now little bit surprised as to what my old laptop can handle with it's integrated card. I had signed it off as not a gaming PC, but I think I may have made an error there.

Eh? Rebinding controls on consoles is quite common as well, or used to be rather. Most of the time devs get the layout perfect anyhow on console and PC, but some people have problems that require rebinding, others have optimal layouts they have come accustomed to over the years for a certain genre, and other times developers just implement really...questionable layouts, but that's rare thankfully.

Yeah, like my F2 is broken so I suppose I can't use whatever aug is mapped to it.

Yeah, and this. Though if I remember correctly you cannot actually rebind augs in Deus Ex, which is one exception. Oh, you're probably talking about Human Rev. Yeah I haven't played that on PC.

Sometimes you do come up with the most awful rot.

:lol: 68pie over here, ladies and gents; one mean cold sono'va *****.

Spyhopping
20th Mar 2014, 16:25
Oh my. More rot coming your way. Perhaps I'm just betraying the fact that I'm not much of a proper gamer at all right now. Excusing the time I have spent on Xcom and The Fall this week, the last year has been almost entirely game free.

Although, I don't think I've changed anything apart from the function of the y axis in game controls. With my console controller, if a button is broke, I get a new one. If the game controls are different, so far, I just end up learning the new layout (apart from the y axis on a stick- it has to be inverted or it confuses the hell out of me).

Edit: I seem to have drafted my previous post poorly- I wasn't intending to dismiss Shralla's point- I can quite see why it might be a deal breaker for some. I was simply expressing my lack of understanding of how significant key binding was when I shared my reactions to the PC version of The Fall.

Shralla
20th Mar 2014, 17:36

Even console games let you remap your controls. Not rebind individual keys, but they at least offer you multiple control schemes to pick from. Most FPS games have four or more options. Personally, on PC my grenade button is Mouse 5 and my melee (takedown) button is Mouse 4, and I'm likely to rebind something from the keyboard to Mouse 3 as well. This is true across all PC games for over five years.

OdanUrr
20th Mar 2014, 22:59
A lot of BSN folks are here as well :O

I don't know what you're talking about. My name is Iñigo Montoya.

CyberP
21st Mar 2014, 00:43
Even console games let you remap your controls. Not rebind individual keys, but they at least offer you multiple control schemes to pick from.

False again, Shrally. A console game can do almost anything a PC game can. I Love both consoles and PC, there isn't really much of a difference, just depends on the games you play. It's mods that truly make PC superior for gaming :)

Shralla
21st Mar 2014, 00:56
I was talking in general. I can't remember the last console game I played that let you rebind individual buttons.

CyberP
21st Mar 2014, 01:01
I was talking in general. I can't remember the last console game I played that let you rebind individual buttons.

Recent: Fallout 3, Fallout: New vegas. There really isn't many these days. Modern console gaming sucks, as I've said before, barring a few great games. There are plenty of old console games however that let you rebind.

-Neon-
21st Mar 2014, 01:31
I'm really not liking the fact that they changed stuff from the book. No Gunther Hermann, no standoff in the briefing/Killing Floor room, no fighting the other Tyrants to escape the jetliner.

Ashpolt
21st Mar 2014, 01:42
I'm really not liking the fact that they changed stuff from the book. No Gunther Hermann, no standoff in the briefing/Killing Floor room, no fighting the other Tyrants to escape the jetliner.

It's been a while since I played, but The Fall is a sequel to the book, isn't it? Not meant to be an adaptation.

[EDIT] Barring the tutorial mission, which is a flashback to a sequence which would take place some point during the book's timespan.

IHaveReturned
21st Mar 2014, 22:17
Man, after watching TB's review, I'm beginning to wonder when Square is gonna get a clue and stop desecrating lofty PC franchises by catering to console and tablet users first, and letting PC gamers suffer for it. If they keep this up it won't be long until I start hoping EM goes under, as a message to the suits calling the shots. Sad for the innocent underlings, but the alternative of rewarding this stuff can't go on!

InGroove2
23rd Mar 2014, 04:49
I really cannot understand all the complaining about The Fall. What are the expectations here?

Yes there are some problems operating the game... control-wise. But is that really all that important? Total Biscuts take on the game is ridiculous and completely off base. This isn't a game that was in development for years and years, it has the obvious limitations that come with how it was designed. Really, what did people expect? They were NEVER going to REMAKE the game for PC so that it matched a fully fleshed title... its clear to me that they created teh PC version simple just to offer it in another platform, to people who perhaps did not have a device that could play the game. It's a side story, a side game. Something additional to expand the world. How can anyone critique it as if the game claims anything more than that.

Frankly, i'm having a great time with it... i mean... it's 100 times better than Thief (god that was awful). It feels like Deus Ex and has some good level design and some challenging areas. Honestly.. the fact that the visuals are not to modern standards is giving me a bit of an old school feel... sometimes it looks a bit to me like the original.

CrazyEyesDave
23rd Mar 2014, 10:24
I really cannot understand all the complaining about The Fall. What are the expectations here?

Yes there are some problems operating the game... control-wise. But is that really all that important?

Control is one of the most important parts of a game, because if users can't play the game then the fan-base decreases.

InGroove2
23rd Mar 2014, 13:00
Control is one of the most important parts of a game, because if users can't play the game then the fan-base decreases.

please. "whats important" in a game changes to whatever is convienient for people who just want to diss a game.
plus... like any game... you get used to it as you play. i'll accept that the game needs a patch for some control issues, but they're not insurmountable. it's stilla good game.

WildcatPhoenix
23rd Mar 2014, 15:41

Yes there are some problems operating the game... control-wise. But is that really all that important? Total Biscuts take on the game is ridiculous and completely off base. This isn't a game that was in development for years and years, it has the obvious limitations that come with how it was designed. Really, what did people expect? They were NEVER going to REMAKE the game for PC so that it matched a fully fleshed title... its clear to me that they created teh PC version simple just to offer it in another platform, to people who perhaps did not have a device that could play the game. It's a side story, a side game. Something additional to expand the world. How can anyone critique it as if the game claims anything more than that.

Frankly, i'm having a great time with it... i mean... it's 100 times better than Thief (god that was awful). It feels like Deus Ex and has some good level design and some challenging areas. Honestly.. the fact that the visuals are not to modern standards is giving me a bit of an old school feel... sometimes it looks a bit to me like the original.

If this were a free download for PC maybe you'd have an argument. As it stands, you're asking PC gamers to pay money for a game which is severely hamstrung by the limitations of its native platform.

There was never a point to making Deus Ex: The Fall in the first place. All of the simplifications, all of the "streamlining" and corner-cutting which some of us complained about in regards to DXHR were magnified ten-fold in a game designed primarily for iPads and tablets. Bringing this poorly-conceived, poorly-executed idea to PC only serves to highlight its limitations (see what I did there?) and further aggravate those of us who would rather see EM dedicate its time and effort toward development of a true DX sequel.

Spyhopping
23rd Mar 2014, 17:09
Don't speak for everyone. I'd much rather see EM dedicate time and effort toward a full DX sequel, but I'm not feeling aggravated.

If they want to explore other avenues, then I don't feel particularly precious about the DX IP, that's their decision. I just might choose to not be part of the areas that they explore. For example, the comics: I started with the first few, didn't like them and just left them alone.

As for this, I've been quite enjoying playing The Fall. So far I have had 5 hours of a DXy experience that is keeping me interested whilst I wait for the full sequel. Sure it's flawed- it's simplified, it's not particularly deep, you can't change the control scheme and there's some problems with audio, but it's not preventing me from enjoying it. The main frustration with it so far is that I appear to have to exit the current game to the main menu before I can double check the control scheme (which I admit, I don't particularly like, I would like to be able to change it). I came in expecting a casual tablet game, and I'm experiencing something that is actually rather better than I expected.

This isn't a game which is made for the PC. It's as plain as day, and I'm really happy they have ported it because I can't play the thing otherwise.

Darthassin
23rd Mar 2014, 19:05

+1

InGroove2
23rd Mar 2014, 19:43
If this were a free download for PC maybe you'd have an argument. As it stands, you're asking PC gamers to pay money for a game which is severely hamstrung by the limitations of its native platform.

There was never a point to making Deus Ex: The Fall in the first place. All of the simplifications, all of the "streamlining" and corner-cutting which some of us complained about in regards to DXHR were magnified ten-fold in a game designed primarily for iPads and tablets. Bringing this poorly-conceived, poorly-executed idea to PC only serves to highlight its limitations (see what I did there?) and further aggravate those of us who would rather see EM dedicate its time and effort toward development of a true DX sequel.

... so you really can't see why they'd want to try a mobile platform game? They are trying to create a DX "universe"... which is flat out awesome for us DX fans. Why wouldn't they want to dip into a mobile market? frankly, the fact that they did that while not interfereing with the main story line or characters is great and to me means they understand very well what their core experience is and what the peripheral experience is, too.

I'm sure the PC port didn't take too many resources (frankly, seeing as how exact it is to the mobile version... its clear they didn't put too much time into it). Why they chose to sell it for 10 bucks? i dunno, i agree it could have been cheaper... is that REALLY a big deal here?

and if you're just ragging on it because of the "all of the "streamlining" and corner-cutting " as you put it... i can't get into that... because for its few faults... DXHR was a stellar game. I'm someone who has played the original all the way though probably... 35 or 40 times and still am thrilled to replay it.

DXHR was modernized, sure and it had somethings that are less that amazing (the main one for me being that you cannot complete side missions before you are asked to do so... that always bugged me. that all the sudden a door would be accessible only AFTER you were asked to go through it... not very deus ex....) (i should then mention that The Fall has many areas you can go though and access before you are asked to do so... which is refreshing)

To expect anything more from The Fall than what it was clearly intended to be... is being waaayyy unfair and also blatantly ignoring all that it provides.

to say it has "no point" is vacuous considering few games have a point. The Fall tells a story that fleshes out the universe they are building. and as i said, it has a great mood, good levels and some good easter egg type things.
there's really very little ground to stand on when ragging on it.... especially if they patch it... (here's to hoping for one)

WildcatPhoenix
23rd Mar 2014, 20:56
To expect anything more from The Fall than what it was clearly intended to be... is being waaayyy unfair and also blatantly ignoring all that it provides.

I agree with you on this point, especially in regards to TotalBiscuit's review. No one ever claimed that the port of The Fall was going to be fully optimized for PC, at least not to my knowledge. Expecting it to play like Human Revolution is setting yourself up for disappointment from the beginning.

But I go back to the initial decision to make this game in the first place. You call it "expanding into the mobile market," but I say this is nothing short of a crass and calculated money grab. It's simply a fact: current generation mobile phones and tablets do not have the hardware capability to handle the game mechanics of Human Revolution (which was already a "streamlined" Deus Ex experience, for better and worse, in comparison to DX1). So why are you going backward? Why aren't you spending your time and development resources trying to push the envelope, expand upon/improve the gameplay, or (gasp!) innovate entirely new gameplay mechanics?

After years of hindsight, I've finally come to agree with the assessment of DXHR as a good game but mediocre Deus Ex experience. I expect future releases from EM to fall into the same category. So the bar is already set low. Why set it any lower by wasting time on a limited engine with only the most basic mechanics of a Deus Ex game? Are you guys really that desperate for more story about The Tyrants and Ben Saxon? So desperate that you're willing to shell out $10 for a watered-down, buggy, bare minimum shell of what Deus Ex can achieve?

I just don't get it.

CyberP
24th Mar 2014, 00:21
So why are you going backward? Why aren't you spending your time and development resources trying to push the envelope, expand upon/improve the gameplay, or (gasp!) innovate entirely new gameplay mechanics?

Money..

Never mind Wildcat, you have me, the mug who is attempting to raise the Deus Ex bar and not earning any money in the process :/
I encourage you to check out v5 when it's released, it has been a year since v4 was released, there's quite a lot more content and polish.
Perhaps you'd even like to join the team? Anyone can join the team as long as they have the skills and are prepared to follow my command when it comes to certain many things (i.e no sex with flying pig QTE's, has to be inline with DX's design).

Are you guys really that desperate for more story about The Tyrants and Ben Saxon? So desperate that you're willing to shell out $10 for a watered-down, buggy, bare minimum shell of what Deus Ex can achieve?

I just don't get it.

+1

However, have some faith for DX4. They just may surprise us. Chances are low, but it will still be a great game at least.
Remember all these spin-offs etc are getting outsourced, and the core team working on DX4 may really have things nailed down, but it ultimately depends on who is at the top unfortunately.
Lead designer/s, Producers, publisher, the board of conspiracy, there's a lot of people that need to have the "right" mindset. The little guys just follow orders (exaggeration, to some extent).

FrankCSIS
24th Mar 2014, 03:19
Once again, my main concern here is if anyone in the leadership truly believed they had something in their hands with The Fall.

If it was treated as a fun little experiment to pass the time and keep some people active during a hiatus, all is good. If they figured they were mining a golden opportunity for the "franchise", then it's high time someone challenges the captain as mentally unfit for command!

I'm glad HR received a critical acclaim and was a surprise hit, because everything else is somewhat worrisome. The communication strategy has remained consistently confused since day one (all the way to Thief, which fulfilled the improbable feat of being actually worse and more confused than HR by a large margin), no one anticipated the predictable backlash of the Wii U exclusive Director's Cut, resulting in an emergency port for containment purposes, the fantasies of D'Astous and his cross-platform empire, and finally the complete disregard for the tablet market gaming habits, resulting in abysmal sales and a strange PC port that can't possibly be explained by anything else than poor tablet sales. I don't know who bankrolls all those initiatives, but surely they can't have pockets deep enough not to care about any of this.

Arkose
24th Mar 2014, 09:50
Deus Ex: The Fall helps expand the Deus Ex universe, much like the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect novel; it's not meant to be the next main entry in the series. The PC version was released very close to the Human Revolution fan film (due tomorrow) which probably isn't a coincidence; it looks like Square Enix may be building up to a bigger reveal in the near future.

SageSavage
24th Mar 2014, 11:38
To reiterate: so far Eidos Montreal's track record is a muddled mess with a tendency towards failed business experiments. For a studio that mustered up to be Looking Glass 2.0 this is very disappointing.

Overall quality of releases: very inconsistent, trend indicates a decline
Marketing: strong but chaotic
Communication with fanbase: very poor, chaotic
Technical support of products: not good (from what I hear)
Use of unfair business practices: quite a lot
Future projects: unknown

InGroove2
24th Mar 2014, 18:22
Once again, my main concern here is if anyone in the leadership truly believed they had something in their hands with The Fall.

If it was treated as a fun little experiment to pass the time and keep some people active during a hiatus, all is good. If they figured they were mining a golden opportunity for the "franchise", then it's high time someone challenges the captain as mentally unfit for command!

I'm glad HR received a critical acclaim and was a surprise hit, because everything else is somewhat worrisome. The communication strategy has remained consistently confused since day one (all the way to Thief, which fulfilled the improbable feat of being actually worse and more confused than HR by a large margin), no one anticipated the predictable backlash of the Wii U exclusive Director's Cut, resulting in an emergency port for containment purposes, the fantasies of D'Astous and his cross-platform empire, and finally the complete disregard for the tablet market gaming habits, resulting in abysmal sales and a strange PC port that can't possibly be explained by anything else than poor tablet sales. I don't know who bankrolls all those initiatives, but surely they can't have pockets deep enough not to care about any of this.

Well first, i think it seems clear that they didn't treat 'the fall' even remotely like a fully functional/fully significant title. Their main DX guys weren't leading the project and technically it clearly has issues. Money realities being what they are, we can't expect EM to be as altruistic and fan-fluffing as we might want them to be. If they want to make a little game in the DX world that gives me a fun DX experience at 10bucks to help them keep the doors open i'm more than happy, as a fan of the franchise and their work in the franchise (again... thief... ugh), to shell out a few dollars and support their efforts to continue entertaining me.

and with the WiiU thing. I imagine they knew the backlash was coming but also knew they had an opportunity to make more money doing it this way. and what's wrong with that? again... the companies that made our beloved originals (Looking Glass and the old Eidos) folded for financial reasons... so frankly, i have no problem with these guys trying to make money. Which is, ultimately what its all about for the company.

I'll never be convinced that DXHR had all the problems and negatives that you and wildcat claim. I get the complaints, but i just love the game in much the same way I love the original.

CyberP
24th Mar 2014, 20:02
again... the companies that made our beloved originals (Looking Glass and the old Eidos) folded for financial reasons... so frankly, i have no problem with these guys trying to make money. Which is, ultimately what its all about for the company.

Looking Glass, yep folded, but it could have been for any number of reasons.
Ion Storm folded primarily because of it's founder, John Romero (of Doom fame). Deus Ex turned a good profit back then, and did good for the company.

To make money they have to make good products first and foremost, and very few are finding Square-Enix's recent products to be "good".

GamerX51
25th Mar 2014, 13:12
I've been trying to buy DX:TF on steam for over an hour now, and it won't load the steam store page! What gives! :scratch:

Shralla
25th Mar 2014, 22:25
The game is too bad for you to be allowed to purchase.

Even IGN hates it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/24/deus-ex-the-fall-pc-review

CyberP
26th Mar 2014, 03:30
******* hell. Facebook to aquire Occulus (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html)

FrankCSIS
26th Mar 2014, 05:00
I'll never be convinced that DXHR had all the problems and negatives that you and wildcat claim. I get the complaints, but i just love the game in much the same way I love the original.

I never actually issued an opinion on the game, post-release. I like what I thought I'd like and pretty much dislike what I knew I'd dislike. The complete content of my post is on the managerial aspect of things. I frankly don't think the Wii U exclusive generated that much more revenues, unless Nintendo bankrolled good chunks of it. And it's obvious they did not anticipate the clash, because the port to other consoles and pc can't possibly have been in their initial plans. If it was in their plans, it's an even worse technical catastrophe I'd rather not imagine.

As for the Fall, it's all fine and dandy to encourage the bit of entertainment you get from a favorite franchise, but it's a delirious attempt from a business perspective. Besides the obvious idea that tablet gaming habits are incompatible with what they proposed, DX is simply not a franchise, and the public does not care. You can't artificially create a franchise by publishing books and companion tablet games, and yet they seem to genuinely believe this plan actually has a future. If (or when) this all crashes and burns, you think Square is going to put money into another DX game? That's what scares me the most. So let's recenter time, effort and money on a terrific new entry, and then we'll talk about franchise goodies.

Facebook to aquire Occulus

Isn't that just fabulous

WildcatPhoenix
26th Mar 2014, 14:37
As for the Fall, it's all fine and dandy to encourage the bit of entertainment you get from a favorite franchise, but it's a delirious attempt from a business perspective. Besides the obvious idea that tablet gaming habits are incompatible with what they proposed, DX is simply not a franchise, and the public does not care. You can't artificially create a franchise by publishing books and companion tablet games, and yet they seem to genuinely believe this plan actually has a future. If (or when) this all crashes and burns, you think Square is going to put money into another DX game? That's what scares me the most. So let's recenter time, effort and money on a terrific new entry, and then we'll talk about franchise goodies.

Precisely. I worry the failure of these cross-platform titles will lead the execs at Square to blame the property and not their own idiotic business model. I don't think a Deus Ex game will ever bring in the profits of a Call of Duty/Halo/Gears of War/etc, but they seem to be compensating for this by trying to make it available on all sorts of platforms with which the design philosophy and fundamental principles of the game are simply incompatible.

David Holy
27th Mar 2014, 05:41
I did finished deus Ex: The Fall some hours ago. And i am really disappointed. XNG was regarding the design quiet cool, but to finish with to be continued, without delivering a closed storyline is a real bad move. Not everything was bad, but in the end, the game was the small ugly brother of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I paid definetly too much for this kind of content.

FreakRob
28th Mar 2014, 20:32
The best thing is how apparently no play-testing was done whatsoever. How else can you explain that the toilets in the XNG building are switched? Or when was the last time you saw a women's bathroom with urinals?

SageSavage
28th Mar 2014, 21:26
The best thing is how apparently no play-testing was done whatsoever. How else can you explain that the toilets in the XNG building are switched? Or when was the last time you saw a women's bathroom with urinals?

Equal opportunities for women. Human revolution / the missing link / mankind divided - it all makes sense now!

BridgetFisher
29th Mar 2014, 03:49
Id like an episode with a female adam jensen but not adam.... Eve... Gotta mix it up sometimes, keep it fresh and poppin.

CyberP
29th Mar 2014, 09:33

Perhaps it's another women's bathroom joke?

hybridex
8th Apr 2014, 05:10
EM.. when are you going to release this as a DLC to PS3 and XBOX??

CyberP
8th Apr 2014, 06:11
EM.. when are you going to release this as a DLC to PS3 and XBOX??

Stop. If you want more Deus Ex then play MY MOD, or any other Deus Ex mod out there, or heck just go play Invisible War on Xbox if you have no PC. Seriously, do your research on the PC version of the Fall.

zwanzig_zwoelf
10th Apr 2014, 21:06
bro deus ex the fall is a good game yeah graphics arent as good as in human revolution but overall the game is amazing first of all it has deus ex vibe second it has nice music third it plays almost exactly like human revolution which is the best game of all series

Shralla
10th Apr 2014, 22:00
bro deus ex the fall is a good game yeah graphics arent as good as in human revolution but overall the game is amazing first of all it has deus ex vibe second it has nice music third

Great reasoning, clearly. The game itself sucks but it has a Deus Ex "vibe" and nice music so it's okay!

it plays almost exactly like human revolution which is the best game of all series

:|

zwanzig_zwoelf
10th Apr 2014, 22:08
bro i didnt say that the game sucks its not as good as human revolution, but plays far better than invisible war and especially first deus ex honestly i hated shooting in first deus ex in second it was okay and in human revolution it is awesome and the fall stands between invisible war and human revolution for me i also like the small tight locations where there is a lot of room to explore but at the same time i never get lost in this game

FrankCSIS
11th Apr 2014, 01:26
I must admit. I feel the urge to rearrange the letters in your username to form new words.

So far I haven't been extremely successful.

zwanzig_zwoelf
11th Apr 2014, 01:30
bro do tell me about your successes

FrankCSIS
11th Apr 2014, 01:34
Not on an empty stomach. We ought to discuss them over gingerbread and tea.

zwanzig_zwoelf
11th Apr 2014, 02:10
bro alright you got it but still id like to know what type of stuff you are doing with my username also whats your favourite deus ex game

FrankCSIS
11th Apr 2014, 02:26
bro alright you got it but still id like to know what type of stuff you are doing with my username also whats your favourite deus ex game

I'm doing all kinds of stuff with your username. wink wink nudge nudge

My favourite DX is Human Defiance.

68_pie
11th Apr 2014, 02:58
bro

SageSavage
11th Apr 2014, 07:33
I must admit. I feel the urge to rearrange the letters in your username to form new words.

So far I haven't been extremely successful.

Oi! Let me help out with some inside information here, bruv: it's the numbers 20 (zwanzig/twenty) and 12 (zwölf / twelve) as written out in German. Might stand for the year 2012 and/or the 20th of December. Or the letters "T" and "L", innit.