PDA

View Full Version : Bug? Sounds missing?

nabbed
25th Feb 2014, 17:53
Problems:

1) I don't hear my own footsteps, even when running or jumping. I can hear the floor boards creak and ladders give the pipe-hitting noise, but not my own footsteps.

2) During pre-rendered cutscenes, there are no voices. I can hear music and environmental sound effects, like people's footsteps, or their interactions with environment. But those sound kind of muted.

Sound Blaster Z configured for headphones audio with surround sound enabled.
Windows Audio is configured for 5.1 speakers.

All other games work just fine and produce fine emulated 3d-surround sound through headphones.

nabbed
25th Feb 2014, 19:12
I was able to fix it.

I'm not sure what helped exactly.

I checked my windows speaker configuration

- right click on the audio tray icon, choose Playback devices, click on Speakers, click on Configure,

, and it was set to 5.1 as usual, but the Test was not playing the surrond sounds.

So I went through the entire Configure setup routine. After that, the surround sounds were working again.

At this point, the game sounds were workng fine - I went again through the entire Prologue to make sure.

Perhaps, when you install and run this game, it messes up speaker configuration in windows for some setups.

SCBTripWire
25th Feb 2014, 22:16
I have the same problem, tried this solution without success. :(

Note however I use onboard sound, not a sound blaster card.

Also, the subtitles don't work, leading to a rather lifeless world.

th3muf1nman
25th Feb 2014, 23:48
I have the same problem, tried this solution without success. :(

Note however I use onboard sound, not a sound blaster card.

Also, the subtitles don't work, leading to a rather lifeless world.

No voices, subtitles, or any sounds other than environmental noises and constant muted city background. It's like everyone in the world is mute and somehow communicates through lip-reading. Very lifeless world indeed, and reconfiguring my headset didnt work.

Does anyone have any other solutions to this problem?

SCBTripWire
26th Feb 2014, 00:30
I noticed I didn't have the latest Nvidia drivers so I updated them, still no luck.

xDarknessFallsx
26th Feb 2014, 00:46
I don't hear any thunder associated with the lightning in Lockdown. Pretty sure it did for a couple minutes when I first started the level, but not the past like 10-15 minutes, at least. Makes me wonder if I'm missing other ambient sounds, too.

The same thing happened in the Lockdown gameplay footage Freyja posted, but she said it was their recording equipment. Perhaps it was more than that; seems like some sort of bug, as Freyja said there is definitely thunder sounds that should have been playing in their footage.

I checked my RealTek audio manager, and 5.1 works fine there.

EDIT: My 5.1 audio is working in-game, too, as I can hear the pitter-patter of raindrops in the surround speakers... so something seems amiss with the thunder, itself.

DaWhiteManBro
26th Feb 2014, 01:01
No voices, subtitles, or any sounds other than environmental noises and constant muted city background. It's like everyone in the world is mute and somehow communicates through lip-reading. Very lifeless world indeed, and reconfiguring my headset didnt work.

Does anyone have any other solutions to this problem?
I'm having the same problem. It's like the world is dead. I really wanna play the game, but not without the subtitles and voices. It just ruins the whole experience for me.

Meesterjojo
26th Feb 2014, 02:18
Happening to me, and many other people, as well. Even console people are missing sound on cutscenes, and most reviewers are ripping into the game due to the sound issues.

Since it'll be a month, at least, before it's fixed, you'll have to decide if you want to press for a refund. After all a stealth game without sound= no game at all.

nabbed
26th Feb 2014, 03:58
Do you hear your own footsteps?
My problem with with misconfigured 5.1 speaker setup, which game itself was responsible for ( or so I think because I was just playing Bioshock before installing the game, and everything was working fine.)
The first symptom was missing own footsteps. If you have them, then your issue is different.

SCBTripWire
26th Feb 2014, 20:16
I can hear my footsteps, just nobody speaking and no subtitles appear.

Meesterjojo
27th Feb 2014, 07:14
I got a response from Square Enix support.

They said I need to delete some folder in my Final Fantasy XIV folder.

I don't have FFXIV.

Brilliant.

mokaiba
27th Feb 2014, 07:17
have you updated the sound drivers?

marshb63
27th Feb 2014, 12:59
Since there seems to be few threads about sound I'll link this conversation about quirks in sound mixing and propagation here. Some people are hearing conversations as tho there character is standing right next to the npc even tho there actually in other parts of the map.

So far I haven't had this issue on my 5.1 speakers (the npc's sound muffled and distant as they should be) but the others seem to have it when using headphones. I'll update if I run into it on my rig.

Heres the convo: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1989469#post1989469

I hope this helps the devs in troubleshooting. :thumb:

ClashWho
27th Feb 2014, 16:34
I'm playing the PS3 version. Sometimes I hear very loud conversations when there is no one nearby that I can see. Another time I was standing right in front of two homeless types by a fire and they were engaged in coversation but sounded like they were half a football field away. Sometimes Garrett speaks at the start of a new level and you can't tell what he's saying because the music is so loud. Adjusting the sound level in Options didn't seem to help. The sound balance just seems way off in many places, and that's a particularly bad thing for a stealth game.

Sharezjek
27th Feb 2014, 21:16
Here's a solution I found on the Steam forums that might help you guys, it helped me.
If you have the game installed on an external drive, move it to an internal one.
There's a program call Steam Mover that will do it for you.

Good Luck.

SCBTripWire
27th Feb 2014, 23:51
Here's a solution I found on the Steam forums that might help you guys, it helped me.
If you have the game installed on an external drive, move it to an internal one.
There's a program call Steam Mover that will do it for you.

Good Luck.I actually do have it installed on an external drive, but I don't have enough storage capacity remaining on my SSDs to put Thief's 20+GB download there. :| I'd appreciate a more permanent solution on Eidos' end as I can't test this one.

Teagle
28th Feb 2014, 08:41
Anyone else getting missing sounds in Chapter 2? Without spoilers, I'm talking about the runners the hooks are attached to. No sound there at all. Just getting the CLANG when they stop, but not the steady whir of machinery you're meant to hear as they slide along (looked up a let's play on youtube, and the sound effects were there- was on a console I think).

On PC. Latest drivers, etc. Very immersion breaking. Would love an easy fix but I can't think of one.

Oh and no lightning sound effects in Chapter 1 after the first few minutes, of course. What the heck. Makes you wonder what OTHER sounds might be missing.

EDIT: haha, wait, now I'm not even getting that CLANG. Seems sound deteriorates the further you get in a chapter. Or something. Blarg.

Bukary
1st Mar 2014, 08:21
Oh and no lightning sound effects in Chapter 1 after the first few minutes, of course. What the heck. Makes you wonder what OTHER sounds might be missing.
There are supposed to be lightning sounds in Lockdown? :eek:

Well, I don't hear them either.

(And voices are completely off-sync with lips and subtitles in cutscenes. It's the same in performance test: the sounds do not match some events on the screen)

sirtaff
1st Mar 2014, 11:13
I have footsteps in the benchmark... that's it. Are there supposed to be other sounds?

NIB
1st Mar 2014, 11:37
There are supposed to be lightning sounds in Lockdown? :eek:

Well, I don't hear them either.

Yah that was bugging me too. There's definitely thunder (and footsteps, and a bunch of other incidental noises) in the game, but they're not getting picked up by our recording setup. We considered reshooting, but time was of the essence!

Good news is that EMs recording setup seems to be working properly.

It's just a bug in the game, no need to worry or fix anything. :lol:

Teagle
1st Mar 2014, 12:19
Ha. So, it looks like certain sounds drop out whenever you reload a save. It happened in my limited experiments with both the thunder sound effects in Chapter 1, and the sound the hooks make as they run along in Chapter 2. In both cases, these sounds played correctly right up until the point I reloaded a save, for whatever reason: then, thunder sounds dropped out in Chapter 1, and metallic running hook sounds dropped out in Chapter 2. I could not get them back. In Chapter 1, restarting the chapter didn't bring the thunder back; in Chapter 2, reloading a game NEAR the start of the chapter forced the hook runner sounds to restart correctly.

This was a repeatable problem, not a one off. I have a bog standard Gigabyte motherboard with Realtek drivers. Sound set to stereo in both Windows and in the game. Toggling to headphones does nothing, nor does, say, forcing 5.1 and disabling rear speakers. It's not a mixing problem.

Makes you wonder what other sounds are dropping off whenever you reload. I'm going to stop playing until this is fixed. The sound's too well done and too important to the experience to be not playing correctly.

SCBTripWire
1st Mar 2014, 22:01
I got the sound working (relatively speaking, considering the audio balance is all over the place). I had to reinstall the game onto my SSD where it was previously on a removable drive.

Lageron
2nd Mar 2014, 13:09
My problem with the sound exactly the same as you wrote. I use 2.1 speaker. Soundcard: audigy 2, drivers are the newest. I checked with headset, but there is no change. I tried the realtek motheboard integrated sound card, but it has the same issue. After reload a save, the sounds are missing, and after some load, sound missing much more.
We need those sounds!!!!!
I am enjoying this game, I think this is a pretty good successor, the custom difficulty is awesome. Please write us some hopeful words about this Eidos members .

xDarknessFallsx
4th Mar 2014, 17:22
The worlds feel pretty dead in Thief a lot of times because of a significant lack of sounds and ambient music. And whenever ambient music does happen, they are very short pieces (a few seconds) and they. seem to often be rehashed ambient music snippets we've heard a number of times before in the game.

Is a shame that another wonderful element of the past games (audio) was ditched and its replacement leaves the world feeling empty and lifeless. There are never any lengthy droning ambients or anything. What ever happened to GRAMPS anyways? All that work on it and a GDC presentation for naught. My hopes built up and then dashed. Sorry, Paul Weir, I wish EM would have listened to your sage words of wisdom: "If it ain't broke...". Game could have been so much better and more Thiefy with actual Thief-like ambient music.

Burbles
4th Mar 2014, 17:38
DarknessFalls--it sounds like you think this was deliberate? That the developers actually intended for lighting and rain to be silent?

I find that hard to believe. I think that it's a bug. At least I hope it is a bug. Because that way at least, we may hold out some hope that it will be fixed ...

xDarknessFallsx
4th Mar 2014, 20:52
No, silent thunder and rain is likely a bug; as are a few other missing sounds. I was commenting in general terms, in case there's another bug that is omitting ambient music and other miscellaneous sounds, too. As environments feel pretty lifeless at times; and I'm not sure how intentional that was.

In one of the areas, it was pretty lifeless audio-wise. Then I re-loaded and all the sudden there were crickets and such.