PDA

View Full Version : 47's movement mechanics...

S3R6i0
23rd Feb 2014, 22:02
I keep reading that people want Blood Money 2, but how does everyone feel about the way 47 moves and interacts with his environment. Part of the challenge of the old Hitman games is that a lot of basic but critical movements are complex and require multiple button presses. For example, in Blood Money, sneaking up on someone, strangling them and then dragging them to a hiding spot added a lot of tension because 47 had to work harder to perform basic tasks. As an example, the first Resident Evil game, in order to navigate a corner, you had to march in a straight path until you got there, stop, turn and continue marching. On top of that aiming, running away and managing your inventory was difficult also so you ended up with tense but fun experience.

In Absolution, 47's movement was a lot more fluid - the tap of a button would have you strangle someone and automatically go into drag mode. The result was a more fluid, aggressive 47 that looked cooler and more realistic but may have removed the tension and made the game somewhat easier.

I, personally, prefer the way 47 looked and moved in Absolution. His strangle animation was more bad ass, the way he pounced towards his pray and kicked them in the spine before choking them out. But it was way easier than in Blood Money, which wasn't visually as appealing but more challenging.

I just don't think the way 47 moved in the old games would look good in HD.

So how do you feel about this? Should 47 move quicker and more fluidly or robotic without the ability to multi-task?

gkkiller
24th Feb 2014, 11:50
Surely next-gen power can help us with more dynamic animations. I believe I've given an example of 47's fibrewire animation. Like all games, 47 equips fibrewire. To enter 'strangle mode', which older games but not Absolution had, hold RT - 47 crouches and tightens fibrewire. When you get within 'strangle range' of an NPC (maybe around six inches to a foot away), the animation changes, like 47 raises his fibrewire to the right level. When you release RT within 'strangle range', 47 automatically runs to the target and the more polished Absolution-style animation plays out. Voila! The best of both worlds :)

Splinter Cell Conviction had a similar mechanic. When Fisher was crouched and close enough to stealth-kill an enemy, he'd raise his hands as though he was ready to pounce. When you clicked the melee button, the stealth-kill animation played out.

AdrianShephard
24th Feb 2014, 19:17
Surely next-gen power can help us with more dynamic animations. I believe I've given an example of 47's fibrewire animation. Like all games, 47 equips fibrewire. To enter 'strangle mode', which older games but not Absolution had, hold RT - 47 crouches and tightens fibrewire. When you get within 'strangle range' of an NPC (maybe around six inches to a foot away), the animation changes, like 47 raises his fibrewire to the right level. When you release RT within 'strangle range', 47 automatically runs to the target and the more polished Absolution-style animation plays out. Voila! The best of both worlds :)

Splinter Cell Conviction had a similar mechanic. When Fisher was crouched and close enough to stealth-kill an enemy, he'd raise his hands as though he was ready to pounce. When you clicked the melee button, the stealth-kill animation played out.

Also happened in the older SC games where Fisher would walk funnier (trying to make the least noise as possible) when near someone. We would also slowly reach for his knife -- when you were in range, his hand would be practically at his knife holster.

S3R6i0
24th Feb 2014, 21:31

I was thinking of something like that. What if instead of slowing him down again, add challenge from a different direction. To strangle and sneak up on people, make the NPC's more wiry and paranoid. That way 47 will have to rely more on cover and distraction techniques, or the NPC's should look over their shoulder, and you have to veer slightly in the opposite direction and the line yourself up again. That way he won't seem so overpowering.

Derangedxzombie
28th Feb 2014, 12:12
I admit being able the drag someone immediately after strangling in absolution was great, even if there weren't different animations anymore and the wire was invisible. But the shooting mechanics were horrible and inaccurate along with a awkward sneaking (left analogue stick) I want blood money and original hitman controls and mechanics back with some tweaks. Maybe addition of going prone and crawling. No more arcade style big buttons on screen, but actions allocated at the top to the buttons, and scrolling through the options.