PDA

View Full Version : Wich control settup do you prefer and why?

Sneakypoison
20th Feb 2014, 16:52
Since their are no poll options on the forum I guess I will just have to ask, and maybe Eidos will take notice, and take it into consideration when they are making the new game :)

But anyways, this is a question to all who have played the first 3 console games, silent assassin, contracts and blood money.

What game had the best controls and button layout?

I myself thought at first that I would prefer blood money since i remeberd it as such a good game, but after playing through a few levels on each game from the HD trilogy I actualy prefer the controls on silent assassin.
Why?
Because of the move sensitivity and because you walk by default and have to hold down left triger/L2 to run, that way you dont have to be ultra sensitive when you just want to walk calmly, and you dont get the walk-run-walk jittery controls.

I allso prefer the music in silent assassin :)

So my vote goes to:
Silent assassin

AdrianShephard
20th Feb 2014, 22:58
I played a little bit of Blood Money on console but mostly on PC. Absolution is the only other game I played on console.

Blood Money was ok for console but it took me awhile to memorize which buttons did what (so I can press them without looking in the top left corner). Blood Money controls for the PC were awful in my opinion. From the PC standpoint, I always loved the Hitman 1/2/3 control setup, where you would left click on an object and select from a list (don't know if that's the case with the console version). I didn't have any problems with Absolution though I prefer the "list" mechanic.

I never play any games on the PC except Hitman games (save for Deus Ex 1 and Half-Life). I cannot stand the camera/character rotation on the console i.e. where the left stick decides the direction and speed of movement and the right stick controls the camera. I really miss side-stepping/strafing. If IOI could include strafing in the next Hitman that would be great.

gkkiller
21st Feb 2014, 12:24
BM had a cool controls setup, except for the scrollwheel bug while selecting options from the list, but I'm sure that's easily fixed. I think it was just liked for the novelty of having contextual actions, like the first two Assassin's Creed games had the puppeteer setup. Absolution's controls on the other hand were just ok but the TPS-y style worked well for the game. I think personally aim-and-shoot should stay, and we should have the option of toggling/holding crouch (on PC at least). ALL attacks should be on the same button, like BM, so that frees up one face button for 'drop item'. Another for cover, one for actions (or hold to pickup), and one for reload. And, done. So, a mix of both would be great.

S3R6i0
21st Feb 2014, 15:12
They all have their own advantages.

I like the fast walk in Absolution.

Overall, I think Blood Money had the best setup but they neglected to include the precision aiming from Contracts.

mcescher1
21st Feb 2014, 17:21
speaking of fast walk... i hope they have a slow walk in the new one

its a style preference

AdrianShephard
21st Feb 2014, 17:30

its a style preference

Definitely. I deliberately didn't push the thumbstick (controller) all the way forward so 47 didn't walk that fast. I love the slow elegant walk. I actually hate how 47 marches forward like in BM and Absolution. Go back to Hitman 2 for the walk --- including the head tilt (yes I'm obsessed with the head-tilt, I don't know why).

S3R6i0
21st Feb 2014, 21:33

its a style preference

Definitely. I deliberately didn't push the thumbstick (controller) all the way forward so 47 didn't walk that fast. I love the slow elegant walk. I actually hate how 47 marches forward like in BM and Absolution. Go back to Hitman 2 for the walk --- including the head tilt (yes I'm obsessed with the head-tilt, I don't know why).

The fast walk is there for advancement and time purposes :rolleyes:, not aesthetic. The beauty about Absolution is that you have the option to do both. The slow walk should be there, too, to give the player a sense of immersion. Both should be easy to control.

AdrianShephard
22nd Feb 2014, 02:28
The fast walk is there for advancement and time purposes :rolleyes:, not aesthetic. The beauty about Absolution is that you have the option to do both. The slow walk should be there, too, to give the player a sense of immersion. Both should be easy to control.

The only way to complete Absolution in a timely manner is by crouching (on the harder difficulties). I don't think fast walk vs slow walk will really save that much time. This is a Hitman game i.e. you're supposed to take your time.

mcescher1
22nd Feb 2014, 03:17
i'm not against a fast walk...

but there should definitely be a slow walk

i think sometimes it's needed to walk fast and sometimes to walk slow

i like using either one depending on my mood

S3R6i0
22nd Feb 2014, 11:29
The only way to complete Absolution in a timely manner is by crouching (on the harder difficulties). I don't think fast walk vs slow walk will really save that much time. This is a Hitman game i.e. you're supposed to take your time.

We'll, being that we're all in agreement that we want Hitman to return to it's roots, with the overview map and the 7 saves, let's talk about how the fast walk affects a game like Blood Money, and not Absolution. After having to restart a level or checkpoint after several times, it really gets tedious having to move at a snail's pace. Certain points in the game you can run, but in areas where there are security guards where running may alert suspicion, I definitely would like the ability to navigate through those hot zones with a little more urgency.

AdrianShephard
22nd Feb 2014, 16:40
We'll, being that we're all in agreement that we want Hitman to return to it's roots, with the overview map and the 7 saves, let's talk about how the fast walk affects a game like Blood Money, and not Absolution. After having to restart a level or checkpoint after several times, it really gets tedious having to move at a snail's pace. Certain points in the game you can run, but in areas where there are security guards where running may alert suspicion, I definitely would like the ability to navigate through those hot zones with a little more urgency.

When I played BM, as long as I had on an OK disguise, I could run anywhere I wanted to. Perhaps it was a glitch, but I could even run circles around a guard and they didn't care.

S3R6i0
22nd Feb 2014, 17:04
When I played BM, as long as I had on an OK disguise, I could run anywhere I wanted to. Perhaps it was a glitch, but I could even run circles around a guard and they didn't care.

The stress bar would rise up so, theoretically, there was the possibility of affecting the gameplay through an indirect circumstance. I'm not sure what your point is, but I think there should be a fast walk as a way to move quickly whist still leaving the player immersed. After all, Hitman levels at times require numerous play throughs in the same session, having to walk realistically all the time would be tedious to some people and kill pacing and be more time consuming. While the amount of time saved may not be as much to impress, the fast walk is still imperative.

Think about this: what if 3 guards walked into a room where you were hiding in a closet and just sat on the couch and started shooting the $hit with each other for 30 minutes, and killing all of them would've been a non-option. It's realistic, but to wait in the closet until they leave would seriously kill any entertainment value the game has.

This is why you need to have advancement mechanisms.

AdrianShephard
22nd Feb 2014, 17:27
Think about this: what if 3 guards walked into a room where you were hiding in a closet and just sat on the couch and started shooting the $hit with each other for 30 minutes, and killing all of them would've been a non-option. It's realistic, but to wait in the closet until they leave would seriously kill any entertainment value the game has.

This is why you need to have advancement mechanisms.

Are we talking about walking fast or time dilation?

Anyway, I can't really gauge how fast the walking speed is in Absolution compared to the other Hitman games because the levels were so tiny. When I think of a big Hitman level, I think of St. Petersburg from Hitman 2 or the jungle levels from Hitman 1. I don't know if you've ever played these games, but essentially the only time you would walk was when you were in a guard's line of sight. As soon as you were out of range, you would run.

Whatever it's all preference, but I don't think a faster walking animation will save you a measurable amount of time.

S3R6i0
22nd Feb 2014, 17:37
Are we talking about walking fast or time dilation?

Anyway, I can't really gauge how fast the walking speed is in Absolution compared to the other Hitman games because the levels were so tiny. When I think of a big Hitman level, I think of St. Petersburg from Hitman 2 or the jungle levels from Hitman 1. I don't know if you've ever played these games, but essentially the only time you would walk was when you were in a guard's line of sight. As soon as you were out of range, you would run.

Whatever it's all preference, but I don't think a faster walking animation will save you a measurable amount of time.

Regardless of how much time you save, a little faster is always better than a little slower. Just because the difference isn't dramatic doesn't mean you should refrain from making life easier on yourself. Anyway, your wrong, walking at 5 MPH as opposed to 2.5 is not only considerable, it's actually half the time. And it's not like you'll be forced to do it with a gun to your head, if you want to walk slow, walk slow. But I'm willing to bet a number of people feel the way I do. Assassins Creed 2 introduced the fast walk because navigating the streets was long and tedious in the first game. Idk if you've played either, but it was actually quite a relief. Plus, he looks cooler. He moves with a purpose.

It's interesting that you brought up the St. Petersburg mission. By your argument, they should've removed running as well, as a man running through the snow towards a political figure's location might have aroused suspicion. Forget about the guards line of sight, there could've been a sniper anywhere at any time, not just the one the game notified you of. In real life 47 would have walked to the location like a normal human being. Don't tell me you walked the whole time, including through checkpoint replays. Or is it you're okay with running but not fast walk? Either way some people really want it so it should be included.

AdrianShephard
22nd Feb 2014, 19:25
Regardless of how much time you save, a little faster is always better than a little slower. Just because the difference isn't dramatic doesn't mean you should refrain from making life easier on yourself. Anyway, your wrong, walking at 5 MPH as opposed to 2.5 is not only considerable, it's actually half the time. And it's not like you'll be forced to do it with a gun to your head, if you want to walk slow, walk slow. But I'm willing to bet a number of people feel the way I do. Assassins Creed 2 introduced the fast walk because navigating the streets was long and tedious in the first game. Idk if you've played either, but it was actually quite a relief. Plus, he looks cooler. He moves with a purpose.

It's interesting that you brought up the St. Petersburg mission. By your argument, they should've removed running as well, as a man running through the snow towards a political figure's location might have aroused suspicion. Forget about the guards line of sight, there could've been a sniper anywhere at any time, not just the one the game notified you of. In real life 47 would have walked to the location like a normal human being. Don't tell me you walked the whole time, including through checkpoint replays. Or is it you're okay with running but not fast walk? Either way some people really want it so it should be included.

First, how do you know the walking speed is double what it was in the older games? And putting numerical values is just wrong.

Second, I played all of the old school Hitman games on the PC so there was no "checkpoints". You got 5-7 saves a mission. I don't know if it was like that in the console version.

Third, my argument is that you don't need to rely on the fast walk mechanic as there is already a running option; my point being that you are probably going to run through a bigger level than fast walk through it. I also said I ran when I was out of the LOS of the guards. And the fact of the matter is that I only had to worry about the guards, not some hypothetical sniper/enemy you always bring up. If there were others watching at all times, then I would adapt my play style. How people play the game, for the most part, is the result of how the game is designed--if it is safe to run without arousing suspicion, then you run.

I don't think anybody (except you) cares that much about what 47 (if he was real, which he is not) would do if this was real life. There is something called "suspension of disbelief" which I strongly encourage you to look up.

Quite frankly, I think this topic on the walking speed of a video game character has carried on to far. I honestly don't care anymore.

S3R6i0
22nd Feb 2014, 19:42
First, how do you know the walking speed is double what it was in the older games? And putting numerical values is just wrong.

Okay, how do you know the difference in time isn't much?

Second, I played all of the old school Hitman games on the PC so there was no "checkpoints". You got 5-7 saves a mission. I don't know if it was like that in the console version.

Custom checkpoints then, or save points.

I don't think anybody (except you) cares that much about what 47 (if he was real, which he is not) would do if this was real life. There is something called "suspension of disbelief" which I strongly encourage you to look up.

I understand what suspension of disbelief is, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy Hitman or action movies for that matter.

Quite frankly, I think this topic on the walking speed of a video game character has carried on to far. I honestly don't care anymore.

Too bad, too summarize, you want the slow walk for aesthetic purposes. I want the fast walk for the same combined with functionality.

Let's just have both.

mcescher1
22nd Feb 2014, 20:49

yea, i liked this...

just a weird guy running, whats suspicious about that??

kinda funny :)

Derangedxzombie
28th Feb 2014, 12:17
Bloodmoneys was best, and original games (left triggers top sneak) and first person out natural hip for, Absolutions zoom shooting was horrible along with left analogue sneaking