PDA

View Full Version : Bioborgs vs Cyborgs? (Bioaugmentation vs Cyberaugmentation)?

DanteofGriffball
12th Feb 2014, 20:49
Say JC Denton, Master Chief, Hulk, and Neo vs. The Terminator, Adam Jensen, Raiden, and Motoko Kusanagi

Bioaugmentation on the cellular level that mean to improve the cells of the human body without using artificial parts like a cyborg. Examples: Bulletproof skin, night vision, thermal vision, super strength, super speed, super intelligence, walking EMP device that can shoot down tech with his mind, and can hack computers by activating his Bioaugs. Yes, Nanoaugmentation is in the category of Bioaugmentation since it enhances the cells of the body via nanomachines. And the first Deus Ex gave me this idea. Basically peak human performance, JC Denton is basically Master Chief without the suit.

Risks: Their probably aren't enough people that would be compatible for Bioaugmentation. If the experiment goes wrong you could be permanently handicapped or worse, dead. You still feel the pain of getting shot or stabbed before nanomachines come to regenerate your body

Cyborgs can do everything a Bioborg (my word for Bioaugmented humans) can do, they just need a certain amount of cyberaugmentation to the body via artificial organs or prosthetic limbs. Though risks aren't as great as Bioaugmentation. And they don't feel the pain of getting hurt in a general area like a Bioborg. They're crude like mechanical augmentation, but they're effective enough.

Risk: Well, they have to be maintained mechanically otherwise they fail in any combat situation. They can be expensive to maintain. It gets cold in the winter and that crap will give you frostbite easily.

Who do you think will win and would be worth the fight? And speaking of it. Which tech do you think we'll be closer to in the future? I'm probably thinking Cyborgs within short timespan of about 20-30 years.

CyberP
13th Feb 2014, 04:42
Which tech do you think we'll be closer to in the future? I'm probably thinking Cyborgs within short timespan of about 20-30 years.

Cyborgs already exist. Them being common place in society? Yes 20-30 years. Advanced Bioaugs will probably be emerging around that time also, Deus Ex is quite accurate with these things, it's impressive. Hopefully it's not truly accurate; no Gray Death! Unfortunately there will be something like it, but hopefully it is not unleashed on the world.

The day Snowden blew the whistle I was sure to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_73vDgBjU

More interesting DX lore:

NEWSPAPER

Page Unveils "Aquinas"
APR - Washington, D.C.

At a lavish press conference today attended by mainstream and technical media
alike, Bob Page unveiled Page Industries (NASDAQ: PAGI) newest technological
achievement, "Aquinas." Rumored to have been in development for almost five
years at a cost of over billion credits, Aquinas is a seamless, transparent
replacement for the current patchwork of Net protocols that promises to
radically expand bandwidth without the need for new hardware.
"Aquinas is the result of over five hundred man-years of effort on the part of
some of the most talented and driven people in the industry," Page said at the
conference. "We're grateful to the NSA and the Hague Commission on Secure
Communications for trusting Page Industries with the responsibilities for this
technological milestone. As of noon today you can expect nearly all of the
world's net traffic to be carried by Aquinas. Bandwidth is now, for all intents
and purposes, free."
The remainder of the press conference involved presentations by the leaders of
the carriers allied with Page Industries, and a technical discussion of the
Aquinas Protocol -- named after the titular Thomas Aquinas, whose philosophy is
a well-known passion for Bob Page.

Where is HERESY, this is what I meant when I said Deus Ex is meta, not his idea of it, that it should have a companion app or any other transmedia nonsense.

DanteofGriffball
13th Feb 2014, 18:16
I understand what you mean since we are much closer to cyborgs then tech such as that. But what I meant was what exactly made nanoaugs (bioborgs) more superior than mech augs (cyborgs). I see how they can be superior, but who would have the upper hand in a fight?

CyberP
13th Feb 2014, 20:02
The decider of a battle also depends on whom is wielding the sword, as well as the type of sword itself. But disregarding that, and focusing solely on the tech of mech vs Bio, it would be down to the more advanced model. Naturally we assume this will be Bioaugs, if they actually become a reality and are anything like those in DX. Silly question isn't it?
We cannot say for sure, but I'll just say look at Deus Ex, where the Mechs are made redundant by JC and Paul.
Ultimately it depends on the tech at the time and who is using it. mechs when the tech is at it's peak may be superior to Nano Augs when they are just emerging. Who knows?

I understand what you mean since we are much closer to cyborgs then tech such as that.

There exists a man with a mechanical arm, he is a cyborg by definition.
I know what you mean though, you mean heavily augmented Cyborgs like those depicted in plenty of Sci-Fi.

DanteofGriffball
13th Feb 2014, 20:54
The decider of a battle also depends on whom is wielding the sword, as well as the type of sword itself. But disregarding that, and focusing solely on the tech of mech vs Bio, it would be down to the more advanced model. Naturally we assume this will be Bioaugs, if they actually become a reality and are anything like those in DX. Silly question isn't it?
We cannot say for sure, but I'll just say look at Deus Ex, where the Mechs are made redundant by JC and Paul.
Ultimately it depends on the tech at the time and who is using it. mechs when the tech is at it's peak may be superior to Nano Augs when they are just emerging. Who knows?

There exists a man with a mechanical arm, he is a cyborg by definition.
I know what you mean though, you mean heavily augmented Cyborgs like those depicted in plenty of Sci-Fi. Good point. Besides that there's also the social stigma that arised against Mechanically augmented people. With nano augs that just wasn't the case. But the issue with Bioaugmentation is finding someone who has a body that won't reject the drugs, precedures, or the nanomachines. So I could see why Mech augs were still around in the 2050's. Just not the 2070's? DXIW

Golden Method
14th Feb 2014, 01:41
I really don't see bioaugmentation happening until metagenomics is fully understood and certain diseases, bacteria and viruses are eliminated. You're looking at a hundred years at least.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Feb 2014, 13:04
It doesn't matter what we become so long as the soul of humanity lives on.
Omar can help you with this. :cool:

DanteofGriffball
14th Feb 2014, 15:57
Unless you think nano-machines and Bio-augmentation are two separate things. Considering Bio-augmentation is akin to Genetic engineering and Genetic enhancement. While I feel Nano-machines are some form of Bio-augmentation, it's not exactly genetic though because I remember in DXHR Bob Page had a basic form of nano-augmentation in 2027, and he wasn't cloned nor did he receive Gene therapy. If we're talking Bio-augmentation on the level of genetics, then yes I believe we're far off. As for nano-machines, we might just be a bit more closer to that than for something on the level of genetics.

dogsolitude_uk
15th Feb 2014, 17:36
This may be of interest:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/02/science-is-slowly-building-towards-real-life-bioshock-like-plasmids/

It's going to be a while before we have lightning flying out of our fingers, but it's an interesting development nonetheless.

DanteofGriffball
18th Feb 2014, 03:24
Recently me and my friend came up with a thesis. He said that nano-machines would only be good for the maintenance of the body and to ensure that it lives a longer and healthier life. I feel I'm caught between lines on this. But I don't see how nano-machines can make you superhuman like Steven Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising. Care to expand on this?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Feb 2014, 20:21
All I know is nanomachines already exist inside us.

CyberP
19th Feb 2014, 22:02
Recently me and my friend came up with a thesis. He said that nano-machines would only be good for the maintenance of the body and to ensure that it lives a longer and healthier life. I feel I'm caught between lines on this. But I don't see how nano-machines can make you superhuman like Steven Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising. Care to expand on this?

Your friend is probably right. With nano machines in the bloodstream regeneration augs will likely be possible, but no cloaking and super strength (uneducated guess). The most efficient augmented subjects will probably be those with both nano and mech augs.

DanteofGriffball
20th Feb 2014, 03:09
Well yeah. Though I feel the most major drawback on mech augs were maintenance issues. It must've been expensive. I would imagine cyborgs in the future to be more like Raiden, artificial blood that flows through the prosthetics and has some form of nerve reception in the prosthetic. But I kinda imagined for nano-machines to synthesize a drug that could temporarily make you run faster or be stronger. But the risks outweigh the benefits.

hybridex
7th Mar 2014, 18:20
All I know is nanomachines already exist inside us.

What the heck are you talking about? Already inside us.. heck no.. "Get it out.. get it out of me!" :eek: