PDA

View Full Version : Crawling through vents unrealistic??

mcescher1
5th Feb 2014, 22:19
Thinking about this a little....

characters crawling through vents in video games has become really quite accepted...

but...

does anyone really crawl through vents???

i would imagine these opportunities are few and far between

i know 47 has done it a few times... Absolution comes to mind (yikes)

realistically i don't see vents big enough for even a toddler to crawl through let alone a grown adult

i guess the only instances vents would be big enough to crawl through are in very very large industrial size buildings

any thoughts??

mikom
5th Feb 2014, 22:27
Well, it's mainly that way just for gameplay. I havent really though about it much. I havent come across many vents and when I have I havent checked to see if I could fit in them. They used such cramped enviroments in Absolution sometimes that I think they thought that was the best way to go.

AdrianShephard
6th Feb 2014, 01:47
Vents are included in maps at the last stage of development when the level designers realize that they screwed up but are under pressure to fix the level in a timely manner; at least that's how I see them.

BridgetFisher
6th Feb 2014, 09:04
hitman now has vents I think because their introduction in gaming was considered revolutionary, many gamers it seems will not purchase games that do not include vents in levels. Vents as a feature it seems are a staple of modern gaming. I think the notion of vents was created by Call of Duty, all companies want a slice of the COD pie so copy ideas from there which is normal. The last hitman for example focused on alot of gun dlc specific to online play only so noone who played single player would buy it, this is also similar to COD, but I think COD did it first, its a good technique and maybe a sign of good things to come if hitman becomes more of a multiplayer team based death match battle online with different modes like capture the flag.

mikom
6th Feb 2014, 09:50
"if hitman becomes more of a multiplayer team based death match battle online with different modes like capture the flag."

God, I hope not. There are games who focus stricly on multiplayer, games which Hitman wont be able to even go up against unless they get a completely different studio to focus on the multiplayer. I want all focus to be on the singleplayer to make that great. They got contracts now, thats enough. Everything should be spent on the singleplayer, otherwise instead of one great thing you end up with two barely okay things.

When it comes to the vents, obviously we can only speculate why they put them in, but one thing about them is that they made you feel less badass. Going around calmly like a sheep in wolf clothing is far more badass than crawling around in vents.

AdrianShephard
6th Feb 2014, 15:58
hitman now has vents I think beccause their introduction in gaming was considered revolutionary, many gamers it seems will not purchase games that do not include vents in levels. Vents as a feature it seems are a staple of modern gaming. I think the notion of vents was created by Call of Duty, all companies want a slice of the COD pie so copy ideas from there which is normal.

I can tell you this right now, Call of Duty did not invent vents in gaming. Just one example is Half-Life --- a lot of levels utilize vents (though the game is very linear and you're actually meant to go through them) and the game came out in the late 1990s. Call of Duty did not make anything revolutionary except popularizing the switch from WWII to modern era combat. Call of Duty simply (and smartly) took cues from other successful games (Counterstrike, etc.). Now COD is digging itself into a hole, people are beginning to realize that it is the same game year after year.

COD has ruined the FPS genre. Any FPS game that comes out is compared to COD (good and bad) and so the developers must tailor to the COD crowd --- killing their own creative power. In essence, all FPS games are trying to emulate COD (there are some exceptions). That's exactly the reason why I stay far away from the FPS genre and if Hitman 6 becomes all out action, that's another franchise wasted.

Honestly, Hitman (with the exception of Absolution), GTA, and Max Payne are some of the only games that haven't bent to accommodate the COD crowd. All of these games kept to their roots as they should.

S3R6i0
6th Feb 2014, 16:02
To tell the truth, this is not something I've given much thought, nor is it something that will detract from the quality of the game. Regardless of whether vents are big enough to crawl in, they've been a staple of the espionage genre and lots of vent crawling has been seen in movies. I've never really thought about the size of real life vents until you brought it up.

mcescher1
7th Feb 2014, 01:49
even in movies, im usually a bit skeptic about it...

but its kind of a necessary evil... cause at times you kind of need a unobstructed pathway

i do think that its always better if the creators (of whatever it is movies or games) get a little more creative... there are still laundry chutes or trash chutes even food elevators...maybe a secret entrance or 2 - even a window to climb through or break through

BridgetFisher
7th Feb 2014, 15:22
"if hitman becomes more of a multiplayer team based death match battle online with different modes like capture the flag."

God, I hope not. There are games who focus stricly on multiplayer, games which Hitman wont be able to even go up against unless they get a completely different studio to focus on the multiplayer. I want all focus to be on the singleplayer to make that great. They got contracts now, thats enough. Everything should be spent on the singleplayer, otherwise instead of one great thing you end up with two barely okay things.

I dunno, Tomb Raider went for the multiplayer angle to get the COD crowd. So far the recent tomb raider is the most succesful one due to its multiplayer. Maybe hitman needs to be FPS to really work online with deathmatch, and capture the flag type objectives.

mikom
7th Feb 2014, 16:54
The COD crowd are going to play COD. Simple as that. Trying to please everyone is a good way toward not pleasing anyone. All of Hitmans budget should be used to perfect the singleplayer experience, especially since H:A missed the mark so much.

Regardless if they have a ton of money to spend on the game, spending a chunk of it on multiplayer just to try to get people on board who otherwise wouldnt have bought Hitman is not a good idea.

Like I've written in a lot of threads, I dont understand this obsession to get Hitman to be more like other games. Games with deathmatch and capture the flag already exist in the dozens. When it comes to Hitman, it's the only one truly trying to give the Hitman experience. Those other games aren't going away. You want what COD has? Buy COD. And then buy Hitman and you got both.

mcescher1
7th Feb 2014, 20:42
i do like the idea of having a hitman multiplayer... i imagine a clone army versus - policiaaaa

the shooting would have to be manual - because not everyone would be able to use 'auto-aim'

idk about things like 'capture the flag'... there's really no scenarios that have 47 'capturing flags'

but things like hide and seek maybe - or protecting the 'vip' (counter strike style)

just a straight up deathmatch

lets make it easy....

create a multiplayer as close to counter strike version 1.6 as you can

its an easy make - and never gets old

i also think it should be a bonus to the game... the single player aspect is the most important thing.. but i would for sure pay an extra 10-15$ for a hitman multiplayer like that

Quajek
18th Feb 2014, 16:19
Vents as a feature it seems are a staple of modern gaming. I think the notion of vents was created by Call of Duty

The first Call of Duty game was released in 2003.

GoldenEye started a mission with infiltrating a Russian base via the air vents in 1997.

Duke Nukem 3D had Duke moving through air vents in 1996.

System Shock did it all the way back in 1994.

And Metroid had Samus rolling around in those air vents as a Morph ball back in 1986.

Vents have been a staple of level-design for almost 20 years before Call of Duty.

Don't talk about video games if you've never played any.