PDA

View Full Version : Hit Damage

mcescher1
5th Feb 2014, 18:51
this is an old post i had for before Absolution Came out - it holds true and i cant wait for a game to implement these kind of effects

how will 47 take damage?? and does it matter where on the body he gets shot ?? such as a HS compared to an arm or leg shot??

and vice versa for enemies... like if i shoot someone in their foot (or balls)- do they react to it- or continue to shoot until they die??? cauuse if i got shot in my balls... i don't even think i would be worried about retaliation ... i would probably only be thinking if i could stop the incredible pain or be trying find my testicles and the closest glass of milk to put them in so doctors could reattach them (i realize milk is only supposed to work with broken teeth - but it's a joke )

but sometimes when creeping up behind enemies i would try and shoot them in their hand or knee or somewhere hilariously inconvenient - but from what i can remember i think most of the reactions were similar - and not specific to their shot location and always followed a shootout - sometimes wouldn't a person just surrender or give up while convulsing in pain??

d0toAUUHD4g

http://youtu.be/d0toAUUHD4g

^^ like this

or this

k5reDsSIiAk

and then 'Sadistic_Sandbox_Player' commented with

Lol... But I agree with the point, localized wounds would be welcome, I hate dull bullet sponges that don't react unless they die.

mikom
5th Feb 2014, 19:07
Yeah, a head shot should kill and a shot in the leg should cripple. But I'm more concerned about getting back what we had in BM than getting all new crazy additions. Even though this isnt one of those crazy ideas, I think Dstyles said it good in another thread that we should make it clear to the devs what we want. Basically BM 2-

mcescher1
5th Feb 2014, 19:21
i agree, BM2 is the most important thing for sure

sometimes i get carried away hah

S3R6i0
5th Feb 2014, 21:00
I agree with you. At the very least it should be possible to disarm enemies by shooting their hand. But from the looks of things, damage has never and will never be a critical component to the game, as the whole objective is to not get discovered in the first place.

mcescher1
5th Feb 2014, 21:16
it would be hilarious to be able to shoot someone in their knee cap... or ankle... or balls

maybe in one level your mission could be to disable someone - but keep them alive

you could still be 'unseen' - by shooting from a vent - or a window across the street - or by wearing a mask and using a baseball bat

might not exactly be 47's style with a bat, but fun none the less

shooting someone in their knee cap would basically immobilize someone for sure...

maybe its a jockey - or a fighter - or a pro-sports player and the contract buyer is a big gambler

it would be cool if they could add a 'head shot' like area where a person would drop and become an extremely lowered threat

S3R6i0
5th Feb 2014, 21:38
it would be hilarious to be able to shoot someone in their knee cap... or ankle... or balls

maybe in one level your mission could be to disable someone - but keep them alive

you could still be 'unseen' - by shooting from a vent - or a window across the street - or by wearing a mask and using a baseball bat

might not exactly be 47's style with a bat, but fun none the less

shooting someone in their knee cap would basically immobilize someone for sure...

maybe its a jockey - or a fighter - or a pro-sports player and the contract buyer is a big gambler

it would be cool if they could add a 'head shot' like area where a person would drop and become an extremely lowered threat

Yeah. I agree. I think certain places on the body should be a critical hit, like the neck or the organ cavity, and the enemy should react appropriately, like dying on the floor and shooting back; a leg wound, crawling around but still combative; an arm wound, fully active. But I think we may be asking for a little too much.

gkkiller
6th Feb 2014, 11:27
Headshots to 47 shouldn't kill him, but they should take out a good enough chunk of his health that you'd be forced to run like hell, like about 90%.

mikom
6th Feb 2014, 11:37
Majority of players play the game as silently as possible, not shooting anyone but perhaps the target so I think too much focus on this are unnecessary. When things turn into a full on fire fight I mostly just reload.

GEXL47
23rd Feb 2014, 20:53
In Hitman Absolution at least, 47 is able to take too much damage on expert difficulty (don't know about the rest). Health should be about 2/3 of what it was in Absolution. It's ridiculous that you can watch an enemy shoot you 5-6 times while slowly backing into cover, and you still end up with half you health, while the guy is hiding behind a rock. Having enemy AI be able to score "critical" hits on 47 is a good idea, along with the ability for the AI to miss shots, making firefights more of a gamble. This should end up discouraging players from using gun battles as a solution, and with the larger levels, make the option of retreat more appealing.

On top of this, there should be more effects, besides red flashes on the screen, when 47 is taking damage. He should flinch slightly when he takes pistol fire (because he's badass), and maybe stunned momentarily on a critical hit. It makes sense to implement things like this as production values for the game goes up.

S3R6i0
23rd Feb 2014, 21:11
I think damage should be realistic, as the goal of the game is not get caught.

mcescher1
24th Feb 2014, 02:31
Yeah. I agree. I think certain places on the body should be a critical hit, like the neck or the organ cavity, and the enemy should react appropriately, like dying on the floor and shooting back; a leg wound, crawling around but still combative; an arm wound, fully active. But I think we may be asking for a little too much.

"I've had worse - YA' ARMS OFF!! - no it isn't - WHATS THAT THEN?? - it's just a flesh wound"

http://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4?t=1m44s

gkkiller
24th Feb 2014, 11:34
In Hitman Absolution at least, 47 is able to take too much damage on expert difficulty (don't know about the rest). Health should be about 2/3 of what it was in Absolution. It's ridiculous that you can watch an enemy shoot you 5-6 times while slowly backing into cover, and you still end up with half you health, while the guy is hiding behind a rock. Having enemy AI be able to score "critical" hits on 47 is a good idea, along with the ability for the AI to miss shots, making firefights more of a gamble. This should end up discouraging players from using gun battles as a solution, and with the larger levels, make the option of retreat more appealing.

On top of this, there should be more effects, besides red flashes on the screen, when 47 is taking damage. He should flinch slightly when he takes pistol fire (because he's badass), and maybe stunned momentarily on a critical hit. It makes sense to implement things like this as production values for the game goes up.

I think damage should be realistic, as the goal of the game is not get caught.

Agreed. 47 should not last for more than 3-4 regular shots even on normal difficulty. Being shot in the hand could make him drop his gun, and in the leg could make him drop to the floor, and require the player to manually get back up (click crouch button) or continue moving prone (move). The 'headshot cam' from Absolution should work both ways, i.e. if an enemy's shot is about to hit 47 in the head, time slows for a second or two and the direction of the enemy's shot is highlighted, giving 47 a chance to duck out of the way.

mcescher1
24th Feb 2014, 22:46
Agreed. 47 should not last for more than 3-4 regular shots even on normal difficulty. Being shot in the hand could make him drop his gun, and in the leg could make him drop to the floor, and require the player to manually get back up (click crouch button) or continue moving prone (move). The 'headshot cam' from Absolution should work both ways, i.e. if an enemy's shot is about to hit 47 in the head, time slows for a second or two and the direction of the enemy's shot is highlighted, giving 47 a chance to duck out of the way.

I thiiiink i may disagree with this...

i have a strong feeling that these types of things would really take away from the fun

having to bend over to pick up a dropped weapon, i imagine, would be extremely frustrating, as well as having to 'dive' slow motion head shots...

even being shot 3-4 times by an enemy can suck the fun out of something... especially when its a computer player shooting you...

its one thing when your playing a game (online multiplayer for example) against other real players who have the same advantages and disadvantages you do... but when playing a computer it can really be crappy - sometimes you just want to play the damn game!

there should only be a few hints as to when your in danger of getting headshot'd, such as only certain types of enemies have the ability to hs you... (high ranking police officers, fbi, secret service etc) or enemies holding certain weapons - custom mp3s, desert eagles, - certain hints that you can recognize to know when your in trouble of getting 'headshotted'

if we are going to impose hit area damage to 47 the only thing i can imagine is that there is a body model on the screen... highlighting areas that 47 has been hit... the more red the more damage to that area... so if he gets shot in the chest alot ... maybe he runs slower - if he gets shot in the right arm maybe he reloads slower... left arm, maybe he can't dual wield... either leg, maybe he limps and runs slower - the only thing a headshot should do to you in my opinion is take a big chunk of damage from you - unless you want to go crazy and maybe knock out half the screen so you can only see so much... it would be wild for sure

these are possibly major adjustments to the game, originally i was really just thinking of keeping the way 47 takes damage the same, but imposing different hit damage on computer players... but if we are going to go all out that's how i would do it :thumb:

mcescher1
26th Feb 2014, 22:47
drops mic

AdrianShephard
26th Feb 2014, 23:41

i have a strong feeling that these types of things would really take away from the fun

having to bend over to pick up a dropped weapon, i imagine, would be extremely frustrating, as well as having to 'dive' slow motion head shots...

even being shot 3-4 times by an enemy can suck the fun out of something... especially when its a computer player shooting you...

its one thing when your playing a game (online multiplayer for example) against other real players who have the same advantages and disadvantages you do... but when playing a computer it can really be crappy - sometimes you just want to play the damn game!

there should only be a few hints as to when your in danger of getting headshot'd, such as only certain types of enemies have the ability to hs you... (high ranking police officers, fbi, secret service etc) or enemies holding certain weapons - custom mp3s, desert eagles, - certain hints that you can recognize to know when your in trouble of getting 'headshotted'

if we are going to impose hit area damage to 47 the only thing i can imagine is that there is a body model on the screen... highlighting areas that 47 has been hit... the more red the more damage to that area... so if he gets shot in the chest alot ... maybe he runs slower - if he gets shot in the right arm maybe he reloads slower... left arm, maybe he can't dual wield... either leg, maybe he limps and runs slower - the only thing a headshot should do to you in my opinion is take a big chunk of damage from you - unless you want to go crazy and maybe knock out half the screen so you can only see so much... it would be wild for sure

these are possibly major adjustments to the game, originally i was really just thinking of keeping the way 47 takes damage the same, but imposing different hit damage on computer players... but if we are going to go all out that's how i would do it :thumb:

I agree, sometimes it's just fun to go around a level shooting to see where you need to go, etc. before you attempt it for real. I believe in the first Japan mission in Hitman 2, the snipers could kill you in one hit but you could see their lasers and you heard an audio cue before you got hit --> this goes back to your idea.

agent047
27th Feb 2014, 16:07
i agree, BM2 is the most important thing for sure

sometimes i get carried away hah

:thumb: I AGREE

S3R6i0
27th Feb 2014, 18:29

What you said about the body analyzer I liked. I think first aid packs should be scattered through the level to give you a chance to crawl to before you die. I would have 47's wounds leave a trail of blood for NPC's to discover but maybe that's a little too ambitious.

I think the amount of damage 47 takes should be in relation to the shooting system. It it's full on free aim 47 should take more damage. But if it's auto or semi-auto 47 should die quicker. This is a stealth game, anyway, so it's rare that 47 will ever be in a shootout with the police department.

mcescher1
28th Feb 2014, 05:36
i thought of an idea to know when your in danger of a hs... a red target could appear on 47's head (or if in 1st person view just have it in the middle of the screen)

it could be like a 3-5 second count down for you to dodge or run or duck or cover

edit: or shoot threat!

S3R6i0
28th Feb 2014, 06:56
i thought of an idea to know when your in danger of a hs... a red target could appear on 47's head (or if in 1st person view just have it in the middle of the screen)

it could be like a 3-5 second count down for you to dodge or run or duck or cover

edit: or shoot threat!

For the amount of rare moments where you'll actually be engaged in gun battle I think that would be a bit of a stretch.

Lower the enemy AI a bit so that not every NPC is Quick Draw McGraw with his gun. Something I've never seen in games is the enemy draw his weapon, remove the safety and line up his cross hairs. They just whip out their gun and shoot you. And the player has to manually shoot back with those stupid analog sticks. The enemy shooting AI needs to be brought down to match the players. If they were both even the idea of realistic damage would be more ideal.

Derangedxzombie
28th Feb 2014, 12:04
Realistic reactions to bullets is less common nowadays, I'd love that top be in hitman 6. If you shoot someone in the knee or foot, should fall over, unless armoured swat etc. Shoot their arm they have trouble shooting etc. In the stomach they hold their belly like hitman BM.

mcescher1
28th Feb 2014, 17:43
For the amount of rare moments where you'll actually be engaged in gun battle I think that would be a bit of a stretch.

Lower the enemy AI a bit so that not every NPC is Quick Draw McGraw with his gun. Something I've never seen in games is the enemy draw his weapon, remove the safety and line up his cross hairs. They just whip out their gun and shoot you. And the player has to manually shoot back with those stupid analog sticks. The enemy shooting AI needs to be brought down to match the players. If they were both even the idea of realistic damage would be more ideal.

Originally Posted by mcescher1 View Post

Realistic reactions to bullets is less common nowadays, I'd love that top be in hitman 6. If you shoot someone in the knee or foot, should fall over, unless armoured swat etc. Shoot their arm they have trouble shooting etc. In the stomach they hold their belly like hitman BM.

for sure, if it doesn't make it into hitman 6, i think there should be a game based around this style of play :flowers:

AdrianShephard
1st Mar 2014, 01:18
Originally Posted by mcescher1 View Post

for sure, if it doesn't make it into hitman 6, i think there should be a game based around this style of play :flowers:

Ever heard of Soldier of Fortune and No One Lives Forever? Granted, these are older games but a game that focuses/shows off only one mechanic usually turns out to be crap.

mcescher1
1st Mar 2014, 06:07
i think it would be a good starting point for a game

obviously i wouldn't expect it to be a one trick pony

but i see what your getting at

AdrianShephard
1st Mar 2014, 18:22
i think it would be a good starting point for a game

obviously i wouldn't expect it to be a one trick pony

but i see what your getting at

Maybe the inclusion of gore could spice things up. There isn't that much blood in any of the Hitman games.

mcescher1
1st Mar 2014, 19:28
Maybe the inclusion of gore could spice things up. There isn't that much blood in any of the Hitman games.

Im not a big supporter of increasing the gore - sorry shephard

AdrianShephard
1st Mar 2014, 21:49
Im not a big supporter of increasing the gore - sorry shephard

Doesn't have to be Soldier of Fortune style. Max Payne 3 was alright.

agent047
1st Mar 2014, 21:56
Hit damage system only on enemies not on 47

mcescher1
10th Mar 2014, 22:43
'second son' is utilizing a 'disable' option where you shoot the persons leg instead of killing them, and the more you do the more you charge your 'special' move

i think its a cool add