PDA

View Full Version : Handling higher difficulties

gkkiller
5th Feb 2014, 13:00
Alright, so Purist difficulty was pretty bad. Leaving out the HUD was a terrible idea to say the least.

My question is, now how do we handle higher difficulties? We already know the HUD is needed - keeping it minimalist and uncluttered like BM would be good. Leaving everyone off the map except for targets and VIPs would be fine too. Detection should be handled differently, and I think BM did a nice job of implementing that. Make the AI's line of sight a little wider on higher difficulties; if you alert them, they should take more time to settle down, and on Professional or Purist or whatever the highest difficulty is, they should retain a memory of the last place 47 was seen and hunt there.

When it comes to combat, make it realistic and challenging, not unforgiving and poorly thought out. Bullet sponges should be minimised and done in a way that's interesting. If the map has a good number of police, make them call in for backup if you're seen. Make some of them armour-wearing SWAT. DO NOT make them all seem to have Kevlar uniform. Add snipers where it would make sense to have them. Make enemies behave more cautiously. If you're firing at them, they should be in cover, and waiting for you to reload or something. They shouldn't go charging in by the dozen either, they should behave realistically. It's ok to bulk up their damage a little bit; force the player to plan for the best and prepare for the worst by wearing armour themselves. And they should be able to land headshots that won't one-hit you, but will easily leave you vulnerable.

Additional objectives also adds an extra challenge. Add another target if need be. Give the player a 'recover so-and-so' or 'plant so-and-so' objective. Tell them to find a particular weapon (e.g. if you're playing Til Death Do Us Part, steal a shotgun) and retrieve it. And, if you want extra replayability, make the additional target unknown, so that you'll have to ID him visually.

These are my thoughts, I'd love to hear yours too :)

mikom
5th Feb 2014, 13:04
Additional objectives sound like a great idea, I think the additional objectives should always be there, but on lower difficulty the can be optional.

gkkiller
5th Feb 2014, 13:49
Additional objectives sound like a great idea, I think the additional objectives should always be there, but on lower difficulty the can be optional.

That would work fine, I think, with the exception of additional targets. Also, optional objectives shouldn't be displayed in the objectives screen: Diana could mention in her briefing that, for example, 'our client is prepared to offer a bonus payment if a particular room could be bugged', and this would only show up as an objective on the map or in the objectives screen if you were on higher difficulties.

Also, some missions should give you a bonus for making it look like an accident.

mikom
5th Feb 2014, 14:12
optional targets or optional objectives as they were in BM worked good I think, and I do think the briefing menu should clearly state the optional targets.

I dont know if it's a good idea to give bonus money for any special kind of execution as it would favor a way of killing above the other. Hitman was always great just because you were free to take out the target any way you wanted. Giving extra money for one execution above the other feels like it's trying to force you into a certain way. Optional targets are the best way I think as it still gives you the freedom to do what you want, and also gives you more people to take out in fun ways.

mcescher1
5th Feb 2014, 18:06
i did like the optional objectives that involved carrying things to the end with you...

sometimes it was money... or a weapon... or diamonds.. or documents

i liked those... it was just like a possible bonus that made sneaking around a little more important

AdrianShephard
6th Feb 2014, 04:11
Seeing how this is an assassination game, I think that higher difficulties should stress precise timing i.e. instead of the target walking in a large circle, you only have one chance to kill him/her a certain way. I believe the older Hitman games incorporated this, such as Lee Hong Assassination. Giving you multiple chances to perform the same special assassination is much too easy.

I like the idea of having extra enemies in meaningful places --- again, in The Lee Hong Assassination, when you alerted the guards, they seal off Hong in his house/mansion/dojo (whatever). Extra protection of the target is a must.

Nate021388
8th Feb 2014, 02:46

yeah I like that idea too

mikom
8th Feb 2014, 10:50
"Giving you multiple chances to perform the same special assassination is much too easy."
But it's much more fun to have a choice in what you do. There's plenty of other ways they can make the game harder on higher difficulty without forcing you into one particular execution.