PDA

View Full Version : Parkour and hand to hand combat

Murphdawg1
2nd Feb 2014, 01:43
I would love to see Lara have more free running/parkour skills in the sequel with a faster default running speed. Also do you think she should be given some kind of hand to hand combat skills?

Rai
2nd Feb 2014, 01:58
I'm not sure about parkour skills, but I wouldn't mind a bit more hand-to-hand combat. Maybe combine the dirty tricks with other moves. For example, throwing dirt at an enemy and kicking him/her down to finish or pushing them to make distance.

NSW_pride
2nd Feb 2014, 03:07
Definitely would like to see something like this in TR10.

iZxNbAwY_rk

Murphdawg1
2nd Feb 2014, 03:23
Definitely would like to see something like this in TR10.

iZxNbAwY_rk

Reminds me of a chase sequence in Assassin's Creed.

pirate1802
2nd Feb 2014, 05:52
If they make hand-to-hand combat more like Sleeping dogs I'd be a happy panda. That game had a system good enough to actually make me not want to use guns at all. As for parkour, I'm all for more options but they need to keep it simple and intuitive. I've always liked parkour when its simple and freeflowing and I don't have to press multiple buttons to determine where I land and such. One of the reason I love assassin's creed's systems so damn much even though its easy as hell.

Jurre
2nd Feb 2014, 08:59
Parkour I think would fundamentally change the way the platforming works and the level design would also have to change completely. I think it would be a too drastical shift from the traditional Tomb Raider platforming for my taste - and I am usually one of the most progressive people here...

If by hand to hand combat you mean fistfights - well I am not opposed to it, but I would prefer the use of melee weapons, like dual wielding the pickaxe and a machete. TR9 was rather simple in that way - just whack them untill they are dead: they could expand on that a little with enemies blocking attacks. Of course Batman Arkham is always considered to be the golden standard to which all other melee combat is to be judged, so maybe they can imitate that a little. Let's hope there are enough buttons on the controller left to do all of that...

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
3rd Feb 2014, 14:25
If anything, I'd love it if Crystal focused less on combat skills and more on exploration and puzzles, but if they were to create a hand-to-hand combat system, it'd be great if it wasn't a bunch of QTEs, like those stupid insta-kill finishers in TR2013. Ugh.

CakeLuv
3rd Feb 2014, 18:22
Parkour? As long as it's not like the latest AC games i'll be fiinee, but gurl, the combat needs more options, like batman's combat system, but more natural, slower, and less easy.

BridgetFisher
3rd Feb 2014, 18:30
I think the sleeping dogs suggestion is a good one for hand to hand combat :D
While other parts of the game I didnt like, like driving on the wrong side of the street, I found the hand to hand combat very well done!!! <--- three exclamation points!

larafan25
3rd Feb 2014, 20:09
I don't want parkour, at all really.

I want jumping...

and I want it good.

I don't want a ton of crazy moves that I can do here but not there or there but not here.

Give me consistency and give me strategic jumps.

Hand to hand would be cool though.

a_big_house
4th Feb 2014, 11:04
Parkour, yes if it's gritty and she doesn't look like a pro. I would want to see areas where trying to perform a wall run (or other move) will result in her falling on her jacksy.

Hand to hand, no - not if we're going to have an arsenal of weapons. Perhaps if she were to not have guns, but she's Lara - She has guns. :D

dark7angel
4th Feb 2014, 15:05
Hand to hand, no - not if we're going to have an arsenal of weapons. Perhaps if she were to not have guns, but she's Lara - She has guns. :D

But you could get out of ammo!

Yes to hand to hand combat. Nothing too complex, but some moves would be great!

As for parkour, nope. I prefer the good old platforming! And like larafan said, some strategic jumps would be appreciated! :)

missLWayne1
7th Feb 2014, 11:15
I don't think Lara should be able to do such things. At least not like a professional traceur or a Kung Fu master.

Parkour, yes if it's gritty and she doesn't look like a pro. I would want to see areas where trying to perform a wall run (or other move) will result in her falling on her jacksy.
This.

Hand to hand combat should also look like that. I really loved the knife fight scene in Far Cry 3 when you fight against Hoyt. It looked like "survival fighting", no real technique (at least not deliberated) yet still successful.

J.Maverick
17th Feb 2014, 22:17
I think Lara's intelligence answers these questions.

(that would be a yes to both)

After all the hell she went through on that god forsaken island, and her survival was many times attributed to luck, given time, she would absolutely study professions such as Parkour and defensive tactics (Krav Maga would be pretty perfect for her, I think).

As far as mechanics go, I loved the gameplay in TR2013; the fighting/counters were simple but super fun--animations were great too--and the climbing/jumping was superb. So no so much about change, but about growth. Like, y'know how Lara squeezes through those Z gaps in the rock, well being able to evade and such through tiny gaps without breaking pace would be super useful and make the world more or your playground when the action takes off.

I don't want anything from Assassin's Creed... no hold button to watch character run gauntlet. Just more options within the existing gameplay.