PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 10 - Skyrim? Open World? Scot Amos...

VaBanes
26th Jan 2014, 22:58
Article... (http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/tomb_raider/news/crystal_dynamics_considered_creating_new_story_content_for_tomb_raider_definitive_edition.html)

Rai
27th Jan 2014, 00:03
It certainly seems they're looking to TR 10/2 to having bigger environments. Though I'm guessing he simply plucked Skyrim out as an example. Personally, I'm not too sure about full open world, but I'd like to see bigger more complex hub spaces.

larafan25
27th Jan 2014, 00:07
Open spaces are nice and the eventual evolution of Tomb Raider.

Though Tomb Raider 2013 didn't satisfy when it comes to complex level design, which is something that needs to be approached before adding the wider spaces, I guess.

MissBrandy
27th Jan 2014, 00:19
Oh ...OH ...OHHH

YES !! :D:D

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Jan 2014, 01:54
praise the video game gods!!! :D
i really hope this article is authentic. because
if it is, i'm even more ecstatic for TR10 :nut:

Caesum
27th Jan 2014, 09:45
I hope they'll make some proper climbing system first. Who cares if there's an open world if you don't have much freedom in movements. Though hopefully this way they'll be unable to come up with another heavily-scripted gameplay. But I guess the whole open world idea means just more hubs.

Though Tomb Raider 2013 didn't satisfy when it comes to complex level design, which is something that needs to be approached before adding the wider spaces, I guess.
True. TR2013 had some great looking locations, but only in terms of graphics. I remember one fabulous cave with a great Himiko statue. It was some catacomb alike chamber if I'm not mistaken. In good ol' days that'd mean a lot of climbing to get to every possible corner(and to dance ontop of Himiko's head). In TR2013 you just bypass that statue and exit the cave. How disappointing.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
27th Jan 2014, 13:50
I realize that Skyrim sold approximately 20 million copies, so it's tempting for every developer out there to use it as an example of their ambitions and future design goals, but it's getting tiring... It's an overrated hiking sim, your baby's first quasi-rpg and it's not even that impressive as an example of open world building (Ultima, Gothic 2 did it miles better ages ago). The only thing Skyrim's got going for it is its big, and admittedly pretty, landmass (it's not even worth exploring it, because apart from countless similar looking caves/dungeons, you won't find any interesting rewards, unique locations, no new paths will open up for you, this is a static world you have no influence on). But I digress, none cares about this stuff, just like none cares how poorly designed CoD games are. The power of marketing will make things sell.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like what I'm reading here... A lot will depend on actual level design. If what they have in mind is pushing the idea of "the radio tower in TR2013" further (you see it in the distance and eventually reach that destination), then I guess it's not that bad, it helps establish a sense of place.
When I think of TOMB Raider, I think of "tombs". Long forgotten, well designed "dungeons" or locations with plenty of obstacles, puzzles and dangers keeping you busy while trying to progress through a level as opposed to huge open areas with nothing to do apart from whacking occasional monsters (hi, Oblivion & Skyrim). There's a risk Crystal will go down the "easy" route and give us more... shooting encounters, like: there's a long way from point A to point B, we ran out of ideas, so here, more guys for you to shoot at. TR2013 in a nutshell...

larafan25
27th Jan 2014, 17:59
In a dream, we'd have the tombs and the landscapes. Tomb Raider 3 was very environmental, and Tomb Raider 4 brought a nice, expansive outdoor world to explore.

What I want from Tomb Raider is a real, immersive experience of not just raiding the tombs, but finding them as well. Which is why, as important as the tombs and their complex design may be, I think it's important to have a journey outdoors as well.

nevillet
27th Jan 2014, 19:18
In a dream, we'd have the tombs and the landscapes. Tomb Raider 3 was very environmental, and Tomb Raider 4 brought a nice, expansive outdoor world to explore.

What I want from Tomb Raider is a real, immersive experience of not just raiding the tombs, but finding them as well. Which is why, as important as the tombs and their complex design may be, I think it's important to have a journey outdoors as well.

Yes. Absolutely.

Jurre
29th Jan 2014, 12:31
Article... (http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/tomb_raider/news/crystal_dynamics_considered_creating_new_story_content_for_tomb_raider_definitive_edition.html)

I hope someone else didn't post this before...

As usual: no conclusive info, but promising nonetheless...

BridgetFisher
30th Jan 2014, 17:30
Open world would be nice, my question is has Square Enix ever made an open world game? I cant think of any off the top of my head. Usually Square Enix is known for very tiny areas as seen in TR and Hitman Absolution.

_Ninja_
30th Jan 2014, 19:35
Open world would be nice, my question is has Square Enix ever made an open world game?

Sleeping Dogs.

BridgetFisher
30th Jan 2014, 19:50
Sleeping Dogs.

That was a diff company of developers, their very nice though. I liked how much they participated in the community, I bet they would help with a TR open world game since they have a good relationship with SE and their super nice :D

_Ninja_
30th Jan 2014, 20:08
SE did not make Tomb Raider either. Since you asked about Square Enix and not Crystal Dynamics I assumed you were asking about one of their published games being open world.

Heidi_W
28th Apr 2014, 10:40
Yeah, TR10 will definitely not be similar in scope to Skyrim - they're simply differnt types of games. I can't really see a scenario where a Skyrim-type open concept would work in the Tomb Raider franchise.

We'll likely see an expanded game world in TR10 (at least compared to Yamatai), but I expect we'll see just a few major locations where gameplay will occur - much more than that would be jarring, I think.

It certainly seems they're looking to TR 10/2 to having bigger environments. Though I'm guessing he simply plucked Skyrim out as an example. Personally, I'm not too sure about full open world, but I'd like to see bigger more complex hub spaces.

BridgetFisher
4th May 2014, 17:41

The guy in the article Amos, doesnt sound like a gamer, probably more of a game maker just a 9-5er who makes games but doesnt seem to know much about them. When people refer to open world games usually they say like GTA which is the norm. This guy probably looks more at game design being outside the loop of gamers, but I hope he can pull off his idea whereever it comes from making it for for the rest of us. Like most gamers I think Skyrim is great, while also knowing their empty open world is actually boring and noone walks around it because its so hated everyone fast travels everywhere since its just so empty. I hope tomb raider isnt an empty world like Skyrim.

Maybe this time they should hire some beta testers to make sure because it felt like the last TR game didnt have any testers at all that were not inhouse, I cant imagine any game tester playing it and not asking where are the tombs? Or where are her guns? Why does the camera shake so much it makes me sick? haha

Tihocan
9th Jun 2014, 09:57
... Maybe this time they should hire some beta testers to make sure because it felt like the last TR game didnt have any testers at all that were not inhouse...

Are you saying in-house testers are poor testers?

namitokiwa
9th Jun 2014, 18:14
Holiday 2015, it means that next year, on Christmas Holiday?
BTW, I hope they would show more about gameplay. I am very excited about this. The CGI graphic show a lot of things I want to discover. <3

Weemanply109
9th Jun 2014, 18:34
Open spaces are nice and the eventual evolution of Tomb Raider.

Agree. Though, LaraStan, you should be excited for Globe trotting. I seen your post on TRF. ;)

larafan25
9th Jun 2014, 20:19
I am not excited for globe flopping.

d1n0_xD
9th Jun 2014, 20:28
I feel there should be more of the same - not open world, but GIANT levels, or hubs like in 2013. For example, if we are moving around the globe, and we're in Ghana, we'll have a massive Ghana level with caves and tombs that need no loading screen, and we could have multiple paths and whatnot :3

Weemanply109
9th Jun 2014, 20:38
I am not excited for globe flopping.

Why? It only adds more variety to the game. Imagine LARGE scale enviroments in different countries. Each equal to the scale of the island in TReboot, with hubs and such. That > one boring location.

larafan25
9th Jun 2014, 20:58
No.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/Emoticons/yeeyee_zpsf29f9d9e.png (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/randomperson_2008/media/Emoticons/yeeyee_zpsf29f9d9e.png.html)

Weemanply109
9th Jun 2014, 21:47
No.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/Emoticons/yeeyee_zpsf29f9d9e.png (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/randomperson_2008/media/Emoticons/yeeyee_zpsf29f9d9e.png.html)

L for loser. :rasp:

CakeLuv
9th Jun 2014, 21:49
L for loser. :rasp:

yaas werk that shade hunty

Weemanply109
9th Jun 2014, 22:22
yaas werk that shade hunty

All dem gurls b jel wen I scalp wigs, sis. <3 xo

Murphdawg1
12th Aug 2014, 03:37
The more I think about it the more I would not mind at all if Tomb Raider was open world. Open world games are some of my favorite and definitely seem to offer up the most content and time put into them. Only thing is the side missions would have to be valuable and worth playing otherwise the player would just mostly skip them and just do the story.

Tihocan
12th Aug 2014, 04:32
I would love to see a game that plays like Tomb Raider, but is as big as Skyrim. Imagine the Tombs!
It will not happen though - Skyrim relies heavily on many story threads happening at once (IMO) and TR currently feels more like a direct, linear story approach.

d1n0_xD
12th Aug 2014, 10:20
Like I said, huge levels that have no loading screen between tombs, caves, houses and stuff (we've already seen it in TR2013) but imagine finding a path to a place, and then you find a shortcut cave to that place, but the cave has history and even a tomb :D Lots of stuff can be done :D