PDA

View Full Version : Camilla Luddington returning and face scanned?

Bokoblin23
12th Jan 2014, 04:14
First of all, I hope all the devs know I understand they are working very hard to make a great game and I appreciate that - I don't want to put down any hard work they've already done.

Ok to my post:

I noticed that in TR2013:DE they have changed Lara's face, but it looks a lot less like Camilla Luddington than before. I really liked the idea of a next-gen lara using Camilla's face because she does such a great dialogue and mocap performance as Lara it would be more cinematic and cohesive to use her look aswell.

Obviously old-gen TR2013 didn't look exactly like Camilla, but I like the idea of trying to make Lara have similar facial features.

SO my question is, will Camilla be returning? Will they be using a new set of facial scans of Camilla for the sequel - instead of the next gen-re-release look?

I just think the more individual and less generic Lara looks the better, it might be subjective but I think it adds to the cohesion of the realistic art design of the game.

Again, great work everyone involved I don't mean to diminish any work you have done on the series so far, ultimately I'm undoubtedly going to love the next game you're all VERY talented devs.

TL:DR

Will Camilla Luddington return as Lara and will you be scanning her face into TR2 to achieve the best cohesion of her acting talents? Instead of, say, what we see in TR:DE?

XylophoneDealers
12th Jan 2014, 08:40
Well personally I think Camilla did an excellent job and I think the devs were really taken with her performance. So I think she will stay but who's to know?

RybatGrimes
12th Jan 2014, 09:19
It's been implied a lot that Camilla is in it for the long haul, so I think it's easy to confirm that yes Camilla will be returning to voice Lara again. And according to a podcast that was posted a while ago they didn't purposefully (so they say) make Lara look like Camilla, they chalked it up to Camilla's mannerisms shining through and that was the reason for the resemblance. So with that being said I think it's doubtful that they would actually scan Camilla's face in and use it for Lara's face for the sequel.

Driber
12th Jan 2014, 10:37
Bokoblin23, for your first question we'll just have to wait and see, heh.

As for the second, I sincerely hope the devs will not be scanning Camilla's face to use as Lara; Camilla looks nothing like her!

Not that I think they would do that anyway, though.

Rai
12th Jan 2014, 11:31
I very much hope they use Camilla to voice Lara again. It was hinted way back before we knew Camilla was the VA that they'd be using the same one or the foreseeable future.

I doubt CD will scan Camilla's face for Lara to look like her. They'll likely use her again for mo-cap, so, like in TR'13, Lara's facial expressions will be hers, which is where the likeness came in.

Bokoblin23
12th Jan 2014, 13:16
I very much hope they use Camilla to voice Lara again. It was hinted way back before we knew Camilla was the VA that they'd be using the same one or the foreseeable future.

I doubt CD will scan Camilla's face for Lara to look like her. They'll likely use her again for mo-cap, so, like in TR'13, Lara's facial expressions will be hers, which is where the likeness came in.

Really? I always thought they had based her on Camilla in some way. She has similar facial features. If not, then I guess it's okay for them to change Lara's face. I kinda liked her old face though :| oh well, minor issue :)

Rai
12th Jan 2014, 13:19
Really? I always thought they had based her on Camilla in some way. She has similar facial features. If not, then I guess it's okay for them to change Lara's face. I kinda liked her old face though :| oh well, minor issue :)

CD based Lara's face off of a model. I'll try and find the name. :)

Metalrocks
12th Jan 2014, 14:51
or you get your self "the final hours" on steam. there you will see the models face and you can slide laras face over the model and vise versa. only i think the model dint look anything like laras face. she really looks more like camilla but that could be just me.

also , i dont think they will change camilla with someone else to VA lara. in several interviews they have stated that she was the one they have looked for.

XylophoneDealers
12th Jan 2014, 16:06
CD based Lara's face off of a model. I'll try and find the name. :)

Megan Farquhar!

Rai
12th Jan 2014, 21:43
^That's the one, thank you!

dark7angel
12th Jan 2014, 22:03
I'm still holding on to hope that Camilla won't return... It's a fool's hope, but it's all I have...

a_big_house
13th Jan 2014, 18:13
I'm still holding on to hope that Camilla won't return... It's a fool's hope, but it's all I have...

I'm with you there...

Lenimph
16th Jan 2014, 05:05
Camilla isn't my favorite Lara voice but I would rather her come back then reintroduce a new actress.

The only reason I would want for Camilla to be replaced is for the return of Keeley Hawes.

Chocolate_shake
17th Jan 2014, 13:39
My favourite voice for lara was Jonell ( especially in AOD ) . But I don't mind Camilla at all .

Bokoblin23
19th Jan 2014, 04:18
I think Camilla is a pretty rad Lara Croft, the only reason I liked the older face was because it looked more like her - but if laras face wasn't designed to look like her in the first place, that's totally cool, my mistake.

Camilla does great mocap voice work though

XylophoneDealers
19th Jan 2014, 10:48
I think Camilla is a pretty rad Lara Croft, the only reason I liked the older face was because it looked more like her - but if laras face wasn't designed to look like her in the first place, that's totally cool, my mistake.

Camilla does great mocap voice work though

Camilla did a really solid job. I really thought she did brilliantly and she made Lara what we know her as. She is THE reboot Lara.

Metalrocks
19th Jan 2014, 12:31
agreed.
even when im not familiar with her previous acting she did a very solid job and she can get only better the more she keeps playing lara.

XylophoneDealers
19th Jan 2014, 12:44
Plus, I know this can be disputed, but considering her "normal" accent is a weird mesh of American and English, she did an excellent job sounding purely English (with the exception of a few words #blurry #supplies :D ). I know that some people might say that I'm talking CRAZAYYY but that's just IMO.

Metalrocks
19th Jan 2014, 13:57
Plus, I know this can be disputed, but considering her "normal" accent is a weird mesh of American and English, she did an excellent job sounding purely English (with the exception of a few words #blurry #supplies :D ). I know that some people might say that I'm talking CRAZAYYY but that's just IMO.

i think many actors these days do get training as well to sound believable in a different language.
like the VA of ezio. the actors name doesnt sound italien at all.

Woogiemush
25th Jan 2014, 06:38
Camilla was hired to scan body motion (animations) and voice. Her face was remodeled and meshed in a different program, and was inspired by a bunch of different models.

I do agree, Camilla did an amazing job at this performance. I am 99% sure she is coming back, they wouldn't openly publicize her and such, then just let her go. That would make fans angry, and they would have complications of who could sound like her and act, and all this bizarre stuff. :nut:

Woogiemush
25th Jan 2014, 06:43

I totally agree with you on this one.

In a few parts of the game, I could notice she sounds a bit Swedish, and it's obvious that she's acting, and, she doesn't actually have a real English accent. (She does, but it's not as thick as others, it's a mix, as you said).

Heidi_W
28th Apr 2014, 10:20
Ditto. Camilla's got an absolutely beautiful voice and I do expect her to continue to portray Lara for the foreseeable future. Her narration of the opening cinematic instantly drew me in - she absolutely nailed it :)

Her little descriptions of the various artifacts was spot on, too - PLUS she did a good job in the motion capture area too. I never got the impression that Lara's face was based on Camilla's though.

Camilla did a really solid job. I really thought she did brilliantly and she made Lara what we know her as. She is THE reboot Lara.

BridgetFisher
4th May 2014, 17:47
I noticed that in TR2013:DE they have changed Lara's face, but it looks a lot less like Camilla Luddington than before. I really liked the idea of a next-gen lara using Camilla's face because she does such a great dialogue and mocap performance as Lara it would be more cinematic and cohesive to use her look aswell.

Im hoping she does not return but as a gamer like others I guess it comes down to weather lara croft is present like before as an Icon, probably why it didnt sell to well was due to the icon being removed mostly I think. I thought the Lara Croft in the last TR2013 didnt sound well educated, like she smoked alot and drank alot of whiskey or something her voice was kind of rocky sounding. They didnt say lara croft was really rich, but maybe that is where Im conflicted. If shes a regular person raised normally with normal schools I think the voice works. But if she is supposed to be well educated like a famous explorer who attended the best schools her voice would be more distinct, clear, and eloquent as the original lara croft was or see Angelina Jolie who brought the icon to the big screen bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Murphdawg1
4th May 2014, 19:58
Im hoping she does not return but as a gamer like others I guess it comes down to weather lara croft is present like before as an Icon, probably why it didnt sell to well was due to the icon being removed mostly I think. I thought the Lara Croft in the last TR2013 didnt sound well educated, like she smoked alot and drank alot of whiskey or something her voice was kind of rocky sounding. They didnt say lara croft was really rich, but maybe that is where Im conflicted. If shes a regular person raised normally with normal schools I think the voice works. But if she is supposed to be well educated like a famous explorer who attended the best schools her voice would be more distinct, clear, and eloquent as the original lara croft was or see Angelina Jolie who brought the icon to the big screen bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Yeah because selling 6+million copies qualifies as "not selling well".

Rai
4th May 2014, 20:59

Wait...you're saying that Lara sounds like a regular person whose been raised 'normally' and attended 'normal' schools, that her voice fits...but you're likening that to someone who is uneducated and smokes a lot and drank a lot of whiskey? Do you even realise what you're insinuating? Is this a thinly veiled attempt to belittle Camilla? Lara in the reboot is well educated but she's also spent a lot of time around 'regular' people, going to a [slightly less] prestigious university in London than the one picked out for her by her parents and also working for a living in a bar. How does she sound uneducated? She talks coherently and articulately and she's clearly knowledgeable about the relics she finds (even if she apparently mispronounced one of the Japanese words) and reads the journals. Presumably the ones written by the Samurai General would technically be in Japanese as well. She doesn't sound upper class like Keeley, but a little more down to earth. I felt Shelley Blond also had this quality. And she isn't a famous explorer yet , this is her first real adventure.

IvanaKC
4th May 2014, 21:52
I truly hope that Lara won't look like Camilla. It's already too much that she'll be her voice for some time because her performance isn't all that good (with so many people complaining about her irritating voice, I don't understand how is she still in the role, but that's just my opinion).

Uh, oh! Despite me being a hater of Camilla's performance, you can't say things like this. Read your post again - it's like you're saying that me, as a simple mortal who attends a public school and doesn't have a rich family, cannot be eloquent and intelligent, that I'm basically condemned to being the worst of society.

BridgetFisher
5th May 2014, 17:25
Uh, oh! Despite me being a hater of Camilla's performance, you can't say things like this. Read your post again - it's like you're saying that me, as a simple mortal who attends a public school and doesn't have a rich family, cannot be eloquent and intelligent, that I'm basically condemned to being the worst of society.

Haha, well I also attended public school so dont feel its in any way a bad thing. Its more about how that whole, hmmmmm, well you know Lara Croft sounding sort of like a mix of a Disney Princess combined with Chuck Norris. I know I dont sound like that, but they do because they do all those fun word games while were finger painting when younger that give their voice that kind of royal sound if that makes sense. I do like playing as a super rich and super kick but kind of royal princess. If I played as me that would be boring, pretty sure my adventure of going to the corner store for milk, or attending a pub crawl isnt the kind of adventure people want to live out in their alter ego gaming worlds. When the character is something I always wanted to be like, I like it very much, same way I enjoy Deus Ex, where I get to be a half cyborg, half human, but 100% rebel detective vigilante.

Rai
5th May 2014, 18:50
So having a 'rich girl' sounding voice makes you a different person? We know this is Lara Croft, even if she seems different in character (so far) to previous iterations, she's gonna be going on adventures in the games. She was on one in TR'13, it's just that it turned out way more dangerous than she could ever have envisioned. Having a more down to earth voice doesn't change that and neither will having a 'royal' posh voice.

Tbh, the only times I felt Lara sound plumb posh was when Keeley was the VA.

Metalrocks
6th May 2014, 06:50
camilla did a good job and i would welcome her back to be the voice of lara again. her voice is sweet and calm and it fitted lara pretty well and still believable under harsh conflicts.

Heidi_W
6th May 2014, 08:43
camilla did a good job and i would welcome her back to be the voice of lara again. her voice is sweet and calm and it fitted lara pretty well and still believable under harsh conflicts.

I LOVED Camilla's voice as Lara. Far from reading about how "so many people" complain about her "irritating" voice, I've found that the majority of folks loved it as I did. And you'd figure if there was such an overwhelming backlash (as the dislikers allege) that they wouldn't be bringing Camilla back for another go-around. But they are, and so obviously most gamers view Camilla's portrayal positively.

As for her "posh" voice, I don't think it reflects an upper-crust persona at all - when we grow up we tend to adopt the accents of our parents, as Lara has, but Lara's pretty much a self-made girl - it doesn't reflect a pampered upbringing, any more than an accent from the bayou means its speaker is a hillbilly.

I thought Camilla's voice was spot on - in some scenes it has a slightly raspy quality (like in moments of exhaustion or stress) while in others it has a sweet innocence to it (like when she's examining artifacts). I'm thrilled she's going to be back as Lara. :)

Rai
6th May 2014, 08:53
^Do we know for sure she is? Has it been confirmed? I remember CD saying the VA they have will stay for a while, this was before Camilla was revealed. So I assume she's back, but it hasn't been confirmed. I tweeted her asking her if she's taken up her Lara boots again, but she didn't reply. Meany :(.

Heidi_W
6th May 2014, 09:25
^Do we know for sure she is? Has it been confirmed? I remember CD saying the VA they have will stay for a while, this was before Camilla was revealed. So I assume she's back, but it hasn't been confirmed. I tweeted her asking her if she's taken up her Lara boots again, but she didn't reply. Meany :(.

Officially, no, but then virtually nothing has been "officially" confirmed about TR10, yet we know its well into development at this stage.

But since CD were very taken with camilla's performance you'd figure she'll be brought back - as for Camilla herself, well she so badly wanted to voice Lara that she showed up for her initial audition in full Lara Croft Cosplay regalia, so you know she'd love to return :)

And don't take her lack of response on twitter too badly - just imagine the amount of tweets she must get on a daily basis. I'm surprised when Rhianna Prachett replies to me, lol, never mind an actress :)

IvanaKC
6th May 2014, 12:44
Haha, well I also attended public school so dont feel its in any way a bad thing. Its more about how that whole, hmmmmm, well you know Lara Croft sounding sort of like a mix of a Disney Princess combined with Chuck Norris. I know I dont sound like that, but they do because they do all those fun word games while were finger painting when younger that give their voice that kind of royal sound if that makes sense. I do like playing as a super rich and super kick but kind of royal princess. If I played as me that would be boring, pretty sure my adventure of going to the corner store for milk, or attending a pub crawl isnt the kind of adventure people want to live out in their alter ego gaming worlds. When the character is something I always wanted to be like, I like it very much, same way I enjoy Deus Ex, where I get to be a half cyborg, half human, but 100% rebel detective vigilante.

I do get what you're saying, but I don't agree with you. Just because someone is overwhelmed with education (because of being rich), doesn't mean he's intelligent and it certainly doesn't give them different sound of a voice. That 'royal sound' you're talking about comes from people who had to fight for education and they had time to learn how to talk to people and get what they want. Others who had everything on silver plate didn't have to learn that, now did they? Since we're talking about about Lara, of course she is idealized. But let's look at the real world and take prince Harry for example - he isn't all so royal. Actually, who knows what kind of people royalties really are behind the cameras.