PDA

View Full Version : Similiar games to Deus EX?

Smoke43
21st Dec 2013, 23:12
Hello everyone.
I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a new cyberpunk FPS. I've played the original Deus Ex games and enjoyed them alot, also a fan of the old Half-life games and of course the classic games. I have found some cyberpunk games and found them to be ok but not exactly mind boggling or what i been looking for.

Things I'm hoping to find in another game:
-upgradable character/weapons, found this to be interesting and a nice change of pace
-a cover system different than the usual pop out and shoot or squat behind a box
-urban setting preferably, and not something like Fallout where you spend most of your time just running around
-the ability to change the environment, Deus Ex you can move boxes/smash through walls and in Red Faction you can take out pretty much any wall.

I know it's alot to ask but if there's even a game that has 2-3 of those with a compelling storyline I'd be interested

Thanks

Please don't tell me Alpha Protocol or Dishonored they are not like deus ex only the gameplay like sneaking is And don't tell me about system shock i know that also

xaduha2
22nd Dec 2013, 00:52
I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a new cyberpunk FPS.

There's a list (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21787303/Release/BGL.xhtml) of games that this forum rated back in 2011 from this thread (http://eidosforums.com/showthread.php?t=116665), before HR came out.

Other than that I don't really know what to recommend, maybe some mods either for DX (like The Nameless Mod) or maybe even for Fallout 3/NV (like the one from this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=128343))

Shralla
22nd Dec 2013, 03:49
I'd say wait for Cyberpunk 2077 but that probably won't be first-person.

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 04:04
I'd say wait for Cyberpunk 2077 but that probably won't be first-person.

I would say that is maybe the best choice i bet its coming out like 2016 still long way to wait

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 04:08
There's a list (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21787303/Release/BGL.xhtml) of games that this forum rated back in 2011 from this thread (http://eidosforums.com/showthread.php?t=116665), before HR came out.

Other than that I don't really know what to recommend, maybe some mods either for DX (like The Nameless Mod) or maybe even for Fallout 3/NV (like the one from this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=128343))

Well i know that list so its nothing new friend thanks for the answer

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 04:17
If anyone wonders the closes game similar to Deus Ex but not exactly like Deus Ex would be syndicate 2012 it has all elements that i like but minus the sneaking and the exploring it

Another game will the click and point adventure game called Alternativa that game was amazing but the massive cliffhanger that it left at the end probably will never have a sequel

if these game where exactly like Deus Ex it will have been nice

xaduha2
22nd Dec 2013, 04:21
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy (http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700) is a cyberpunk game, but the similarity ends there.

CyberP
22nd Dec 2013, 04:39
The type of game you want, games like Deus Ex, are extremely rare. Most are by Looking Glass Studios and it's offspring. I'm surprised nobody has recommended System Shock 2. Grab it on GOG real cheap. One of the greatest games of all time imo and has a lot more to offer than most.

-upgradable character/weapons, found this to be interesting and a nice change of pace
-a cover system different than the usual pop out and shoot or squat behind a box
-urban setting preferably, and not something like Fallout where you spend most of your time just running around
-the ability to change the environment, Deus Ex you can move boxes/smash through walls and in Red Faction you can take out pretty much any wall.

1. SS2 has plenty of this.
2. Has leaning, like Deus Ex.
3. Set on a spaceship in the year 2124 or so.
4. Has interaction with the environment aplenty.

[QUOTE]I know it's alot to ask but if there's even a game that has 2-3 of those with a compelling storyline I'd be interested

Lol, if that's all you seek then you are not even 1/10 as expectant as I am. And yes, SS2 has a great narrative also.

Please don't tell me Alpha Protocol or Dishonored they are not like deus ex only the gameplay like sneaking is

Actually Dishonored shares many similarities with Deus Ex, it just feels like a watered down and very easy version, especially in gameplay.

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 04:44
The type of game you want, games like Deus Ex, are extremely rare. Most are by Looking Glass Studios and it's offspring. I'm surprised nobody has recommended System Shock 2. Grab it on GOG real cheap. One of the greatest games of all time imo.

I own system shock 1 and 2 original release of dos yeah i am also surprised no one said it though i never played the gog version it seems to save time and they were made by Warren Spector and Ken Levine thats the best part

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 04:54
The type of game you want, games like Deus Ex, are extremely rare. Most are by Looking Glass Studios and it's offspring. I'm surprised nobody has recommended System Shock 2. Grab it on GOG real cheap. One of the greatest games of all time imo and has a lot more to offer than most.

[QUOTE=Smoke43;1969051]

1. SS2 has plenty of this.
2. Has leaning, like Deus Ex.
3. Set on a spaceship in the year 2124 or so.
4. Has interaction with the environment aplenty.

Lol, if that's all you seek then you are not even 1/10 as expectant as I am. And yes, SS2 has a great narrative also.

Actually Dishonored shares many similarities with Deus Ex, it just feels like a watered down and very easy version, especially in gameplay.

Its maybe also similar to Deus Ex becuase it was Warren Spector who was around it has been stated by Mr Spector him self that he has passed some concepts and ideas from System Shock to Deus Ex thats why they feel the same almost

System Shock its maybe the best choice

CyberP
22nd Dec 2013, 05:03
I own system shock 1 and 2 original release of dos yeah i am also surprised no one said it though i never played the gog version it seems to save time and they were made by Warren Spector and Ken Levine thats the best part

Ok then, your options are running out. Just play all the Immersive Sims. Those games have been discussed to death here.

Its maybe also similar to Deus Ex becuase it was Warren Spector who was around it has been stated by Mr Spector him self that he has passed some concepts and ideas from System Shock to Deus Ex thats why they feel the same almost

System Shock 1 and Deus Ex were both produced by Spector. But the concept for that style of game ("Immersive Sim") was not his imagining originally, he and his team/s just took it to the next level....twice.

Smoke43
22nd Dec 2013, 05:07
Ok then, your options are running out. Just play all the Immersive Sims. Those games have been discussed to death here.

Hey there has to be a game similar to Deus Ex that is not System Shock i personally want a answer i bet also anyone who ever asked this also want a answer. lets see who can give us a surprise answer

Jito463
22nd Dec 2013, 05:11
If we're talking old-school games, and you enjoy stealth, there's always Thief and Thief 2. I like Thief: Deadly Shadows as well, for it's inclusion of the city hub (I never liked the mission-to-mission aspect of 1 & 2).

CyberP
22nd Dec 2013, 05:11
Hey there has to be a game similar to Deus Ex that is not System Shock i personally want a answer i bet also anyone who ever asked this also want a answer. lets see who can give us a surprise answer

Like I said, play all the classic Immersive Sims. They are all like Deus Ex, each with their own unique beauty and genius. When I said your options were running out I meant so in regards to your listed requirements.

System Shock 1 & 2
Arx fatalis + Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Thief 1-3
VTM:B
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
STALKER 1 or 3
The more recent Fallouts.

And that's about it. All highly recommended.

Zenithtb
25th Dec 2013, 01:32
I must add this as it gave me a very similar 'feeling' when playing.

Dishonored!

Tverdyj
26th Dec 2013, 20:24
Try mods for Deus Ex.

really, there aren't many similar games, and the ones that are have been discussed to death. CyberP provides a good list. He left out Miasmata though--it's more of an exploration than combat game, but it's very much an "immersive simulation". There's also the upcoming "Sir, you are Being Hunted"--a kickstarted title, currently in beta, I believe. that's British tweedpunk more than cyberpunk, though.

If you're looking for straight-up shooters with a "Cyberpunk" feel try these:

Syndicate, the 2012 EA shooter--it's got "cyber-powers', but it's a shooter through and through.

Mirror's edge--this is more of a parkour game, with limited shooting, and some solid first-person combat, but it's very dystopian cyberpunk in its (woefully short) story.

Tron 2.0--this one is often overlooked. It's an FPS-RPG game, set inside a computer. shooter mostly, with fetch quests, optional collectibles and improved stats. has some rudimentary stealth and can be pretty fun. May be hard to buy. personally, would be my favourite answer to the question "has there been anything similar to DX and SS2", despite being much more linear.

Chaser-it's a story-driven FPS, in a cyberpunk setting. has bullet-time. Budget title, I haven't gotten around to playing it (got it off GoG). but it's a dystopian sci-fi, so "cyberpunk".

for something a little different:

Cryostasis-short, single-player shooter, more horror than cyberpunk, where you are stuck on a shipwreck in the arctic, and your main goal is not to freeze to death, while figuring out what happened on the ship.

NecroVisioN- WW1-shooter with "vampire powers". once again, this is if you want a "shooter with something extra". if that's the case, see also original Prey.

xaduha2
27th Dec 2013, 19:24
Tron 2.0 gets my vote too

Jito463
27th Dec 2013, 19:39
Eh, Tron 2.0 was enjoyable enough, but i can't say I'd put it on the same level as Deus Ex.

Tverdyj
29th Dec 2013, 07:54
Eh, Tron 2.0 was enjoyable enough, but i can't say I'd put it on the same level as Deus Ex.

neither would I, but OP wasn't asking for DX. OP was asking for "cyberpunk FPS" games. since we take "more like DX" all too literally, we've been listing FP games with at least some RPG elements. As far as "shooters in a cyberpunk setting with any RPG elements" go, Tron 2.0 fits the bill best after DX, System shock and the new Syndicate (which was apparently a pretty bad game overall, so it's not mentioned as often, and with any such degree of positivity)

vb4
29th Dec 2013, 19:22
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy (http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700) is a cyberpunk game, but the similarity ends there.

It's also about as polished as the DX games, just in different areas.
The weapons are incredibly well done, for example and the augmentation system isn't worse than what the DX games gave us.
Stealth is utterly broken, though, because the enemies have human-like vision cones and can hear properly... And the cloak makes a sound when cloaking/uncloaking, for whatever weird reason.

It does, however, give you a really good impression of being absolutely superhuman, especially when you augment your legs, while not making you an immortal demigod.

Tverdyj
30th Dec 2013, 04:35
It's also about as polished as the DX games, just in different areas.
The weapons are incredibly well done, for example and the augmentation system isn't worse than what the DX games gave us.
Stealth is utterly broken, though, because the enemies have human-like vision cones and can hear properly... And the cloak makes a sound when cloaking/uncloaking, for whatever weird reason.

It does, however, give you a really good impression of being absolutely superhuman, especially when you augment your legs, while not making you an immortal demigod.

the patch fixed cloaking and stealth somewhat

Also, you can use a power-katana... to block bullets. And you can dual-wield pistols, or replace one pistol with said Katana.

You can hack 75% of all enemies to make them friendly. if you fail, they will hack YOU.

If you upgrade leg augs, you can literally jump up to a low-altitude gunship and destroy it with a melee weapon.

Oh, and did I mention the psy powers?

E.Y.E. is brilliant. terribly broken story, but the gunplay is sheer brilliance.

Kill0byte
22nd Jan 2014, 21:59
I know this is an old thread, but I noticed one game that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's Hard Reset. It's by the same developers that did the Shadow Warrior reboot (flying wild hog, I think?). Anyway, it's a Cyberpunk FPS so you might be interested in checking that one out.

Smoke43
24th Jan 2014, 23:24
I know this is an old thread, but I noticed one game that hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's Hard Reset. It's by the same developers that did the Shadow Warrior reboot (flying wild hog, I think?). Anyway, it's a Cyberpunk FPS so you might be interested in checking that one out.

Thanks for the reply i already own that game i personally own Hard Reset Extended Edition its never to old to get know new stuff

DarkForge
25th Jan 2014, 10:31
Would Project Snowblind be worth a consideration? I've only played it once so far and that was quite a while ago so I can't really remember whether it meets a lot of the requirements in the first post, but seeing as how it was originally intended to be a Deus Ex game...

CyberP
25th Jan 2014, 13:31
Would Project Snowblind be worth a consideration? I've only played it once so far and that was quite a while ago so I can't really remember whether it meets a lot of the requirements in the first post, but seeing as how it was originally intended to be a Deus Ex game...

No. It's bad.

vb4
12th Feb 2014, 12:32
Oh, and did I mention the psy powers?

E.Y.E. is brilliant. terribly broken story, but the gunplay is sheer brilliance.

THe PSY powers are a farce. You literally cannot play a PSY character, because you don't get EXP from your clones killing stuff and most of the offensive PSY powers depend on that.
There's a melee attack that scales with your PSY, but you can't use it at will.

The balance is horribly broken. But yes, awesome gunplay.

CodenameD
21st Feb 2014, 11:34
I can only think of The Nameless Mod (http://thenamelessmod.com/real/) that not only comes close but actually surpasses Deus Ex in the storyline "choice" department.

It's a mod for Deus Ex and not a standalone game. But it should have been one.

CyberP
21st Feb 2014, 14:13
I can only think of The Nameless Mod (http://thenamelessmod.com/real/) that not only comes close but actually surpasses Deus Ex in the storyline "choice" department.

Unfortunately it has lesser level design though, and it's story and simulation design aren't as strong either.

It's a fantastic mod that indeed deserved to make a few bucks but it's primary selling point (aside from it being more free DX), that it allows you to side with the enemy, is the only thing it did better than DX in my opinion.

Still, don't let anything I just said dissuade anyone from playing it, it is a must-play. And it's ******* free. I love mods.
Seriously, don't think, just download, follow the instructions and play. Forget that mediocre and generic 'AAA' title you have queued to play on Steam or console.
It wont take too long before it grips you enough and you enjoy it more than most modern titles.

CyberP
21st Feb 2014, 16:44
It's a fantastic mod that indeed deserved to make a few bucks but it's primary selling point (aside from it being more free DX), that it allows you to side with the enemy, is the only thing it did better than DX in my opinion.

Well, that's a bit unfair. It had greater use for credits which were under-utilized in DX and it did something nice with hacking, I don't remember what exactly, but it was an improvement, I remember that much.