PDA

View Full Version : Lara's new face is perfect!

Marylinfill
8th Dec 2013, 15:21
Dear guys, I try to make my own thread as well. In my opinion, the DE face of Lara is perfect, now I can tell she is really back! :wave:
AND please keep her new face in the sequel! It's fresh, pretty, charming and alive. Her eyes are brown and beautiful once again. Her features remind me Lara from the very first Tomb Raider game. And now she looks like a real human, at long last!! I was celebrating this the whole day! And I am so thankful for this new look! Crystal Dynamics, I LOVE YOU! :flowers: And I want you to know it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Starseeker/NotLara2_zps11a1be2b.jpg

Please support me if you feel the same way. For those who are disagree - please, just try and adjust to her new look a bit. Maybe it's just your habit.

Marylinfill
8th Dec 2013, 15:30
Guys, there is another topic for those who is disagree with me. Please don't post your negative opinion here. Thank you for understanding.

Metalrocks
8th Dec 2013, 15:36
Guys, there is another topic for those who is disagree with me. Please don't post your negative opinion here. Thank you for understanding.

sorry. my bad. i have deleted it :)

larafan25
8th Dec 2013, 16:00
Woops. I didn't realize there was a positive thread. I like her new head. It looks fleshy, like it's a face. And she gives me Lara vibes. She doesn't seem so.... much like a different girl. Bring on Tomb Raider teeeen yaaaas.

Jurre
8th Dec 2013, 16:11
Well I wouldn't say I am dancing in the streets for Lara's look on the PS4 and Xbox One, but I'll be happy to add some positivity as I think this uproar against it is utterly ridiculous.

Tecstar70
8th Dec 2013, 16:20
I like the pic in the OP!

I think I prefer the new face - here's a comparison with the PC version:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb430/tecstar/forum%20pics/laranewpc_zps3a0fabd3.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb430/tecstar/forum%20pics/laranewpc2_zps47a53322.jpg

Jurre
8th Dec 2013, 16:41
She's got a more healthy looking skin colour, although on an Island like this it doesn't matter if she were to look a little sickly... I suppose if I got a metal rod piercing my kidney I would look a little pale... So maybe not the best decision for this game, but for the next one it's alright.

The mouth and nose look more photo-like and less gamy polygon-like in my opinion...

They put some hair over her earrings? Maybe that's just the snapshot...

And hey, her eyes are darker - remember everybody moaning about her eyes not being brown enough?

I will say it looks a lot better in the lower pics than in the upper, but like I said before: it's all snapshots from moving images, it may look a little funny: she's not posing for a photoshoot of some gent's magazine...

Marylinfill
8th Dec 2013, 16:51
Metalrocks, no problem, I respect your point of view =) Of course it's hard to say goodbye to the thing you are used to =) I felt this way after the Underworld. So now I'm happy to see something that looks like old Lara... and maybe she is a doll, but that again... I am a pro dollmaker! :lol:

Rai
8th Dec 2013, 16:56
I think Lara looked great before, but the 'new' look is an improvement, I think. In her eyes, they're browner and more alive, if that makes sense. Her mouth looks more fleshy. As for her skin tone, it looks pinker in those images posted, from the tower, but you know, it's freezing up there and windy, her face is flushed due to the conditions :whistle:. My only concern is, in a couple of shots it looks like she;'s wearing false eyelashes. Maybe she's trying to emulate her AoD self :p. Overall though, going by the video, the changes do make her look better. She looks more like the renders now.

In saying that, maybe now CD have had a go at the next gen, they'll tweek her look but it won't change much from now for TR10. I'd like some consistency.

Tecstar70
8th Dec 2013, 16:58
I always thought there was something not quite right about her eyes, and in these shots I prefer her new eyes. It could be the lighting in the pic's, but I would prefer her not to be too tanned.

Rai
8th Dec 2013, 17:01
^and yet, I've seen people say they'd prefer it if she was less pale. Now they've got their wish...CD cannot win :p.

Jurre
8th Dec 2013, 17:05
It would be alright if she was on the Bahamas instead of Yamatai and not suffering from a major wound. Let's take this as a sign that the next Tomb Raider is gonna take place in a tropical location as I am hoping for :)

Rai
8th Dec 2013, 17:08
^He skin tone doesn't look that tanned/red elsewhere in the trailer though. As I suggested, maybe it's red from the freezing wind and temperatures. Or it's the lighting for that particular segment?.

Tecstar70
8th Dec 2013, 17:26
^and yet, I've seen people say they'd prefer it if she was less pale. Now they've got their wish...CD cannot win :p.

Not being too tanned was a general observation, and I have seen her looking paler too so it must be that particular shot even though she looks paler in the original PC version.

_Love2Raid_
8th Dec 2013, 18:03
She looks a lot nicer, if you ask me, but I don't think the shape of the face has changed as drastically as some people claim (if it has changed at all). There are just new light and shading effects going on, that make the shadows softer and the skin look more translucent and realistic. It also brings out the shape of her face more. So she hasn't changed that much, I think. Anyway, did TR win anything last night? :scratch:

Rai
8th Dec 2013, 19:34
She looks a lot nicer, if you ask me, but I don't think the shape of the face has changed as drastically as some people claim (if it has changed at all). There are just new light and shading effects going on, that make the shadows softer and the skin look more translucent and realistic. It also brings out the shape of her face more. So she hasn't changed that much, I think. Anyway, did TR win anything last night? :scratch:

Nothing at all. Though Camilla would have won the 'most clueless presenter' award (had there been one) when it came to her presenting Lara's nomination for best character. Bless http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif . To be fair the VGX presenters failed to tell her she'd be doing it.

dark7angel
8th Dec 2013, 19:48
I am also of the opinion that this new look is an improvement! Specially the eyes!!! It was one of the things that bothered me the most about Lara's model in TR9, her eyes were so lifeless! Now they look more alive!

Marylinfill
8th Dec 2013, 20:34
And her face is not so symmetrical anymore, it is great and real, cannot wait for DE. bTW, does anyone know... Is there a digital version of DE for PS Store?

Ivanovskiy Ivan
8th Dec 2013, 20:45
Yes, the new face of Lara super. I wonder whether this version of the game in Russia. We would like to play a Lara))) I only know that in North America will release on January 28 and in Europe on January 31. And in Russia will, and if so, when? And will the Russian voice?

blackrook
8th Dec 2013, 21:10
Nothing at all. Though Camilla would have won the 'most clueless presenter' award (had there been one) when it came to her presenting Lara's nomination for best character. Bless http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/hug.gif . To be fair the VGX presenters failed to tell her she'd be doing it.I only caught the interview for the Definitive Edition, but the entire time I was just thinking (aside from how CD's Scott Amos said "Laura" over and over) was how awkward it must have been to show up for something she didn't really have a hand in. There's no new content or anything.

GLA
8th Dec 2013, 21:28
I really like the way Lara looks in the trailer :)

I mean, I was happy with how she looked in the ps3 version, even though there were times when her eyes and lips seemed a bit... glassy/weird to me. When I saw the trailer last night... wow :cool: The eyes are expressive and not glassy. I rewatched the trailer quite a few times [:o] and there is a part where it shows her draw her bow to fire an arrow, and her expression had subtle changes that were just... oh!

So, in summary, I am a fan :flowers:

XylophoneDealers
8th Dec 2013, 22:14
I quite like this new Lara look. Especially in the comparison pictures - the trailer is a bit odd since she looks different in nearly every scene she was in. My favourite face of hers was the full face/head render that CD did.

kiadaw
8th Dec 2013, 22:15
^
Yes, facial animation have improved, eyes & skin are more realistic...but that's not the point of this hot topic.

Its the change of her facial features that divide the community.

kiadaw
8th Dec 2013, 22:16
I quite like this new Lara look. Especially in the comparison pictures - the trailer is a bit odd since she looks different in nearly every scene she was in. My favourite face of hers was the full face/head render that CD did.

Which one? They did a lot of renders.

dark7angel
8th Dec 2013, 22:31
Its the change of her facial features that divide the community.

Personally, I really like the changes of her facial features.

I always thought in-game Lara's face was a little too... how can I put it... round (?). So I like how this new model has somewhat more pronounced cheekbones.

I actually prefer her bigger eyes and her brows look way better now.

Her lips look pretty much the same, except they are smoother now.

So yeah, I really think this was an improvement!

And I'll add, she kinda reminds me of Gemma Arterton, which is definitely not a bad thing!

Now all I can hope for is that they cast a new voice actress! When I was watching the DE trailer I literally cringed the moment Camilla started talking...

Jurre
8th Dec 2013, 22:43
I don't think her eyes are bigger by the way; she's got eyeliner now - or mascara or whatever it is called... But then in real life that is used to accentuate the eyes and make them look bigger so that is well done.

And that also makes her more of a typical girl as I talked about before so I like that...

Murphdawg1
8th Dec 2013, 23:05
I will with hold my opinion until I actually get to see the game being played on my PS 4 in glorious 1080p.

Jurre
9th Dec 2013, 01:49
^ If only more people were as wise as you! (no sarcasm)

blackrook
9th Dec 2013, 07:38
I quite like this new Lara look. Especially in the comparison pictures - the trailer is a bit odd since she looks different in nearly every scene she was in. My favourite face of hers was the full face/head render that CD did.Which render? Was it used in TR9?

Metalrocks
9th Dec 2013, 09:32
Metalrocks, no problem, I respect your point of view =) Of course it's hard to say goodbye to the thing you are used to =) I felt this way after the Underworld. So now I'm happy to see something that looks like old Lara... and maybe she is a doll, but that again... I am a pro dollmaker! :lol:

i also had a little problem with laras face in underworld looking like a doll. her face just looked so unreal compared to legend and anni. ok, not that they were that realistic but better looking in my opinion.

and yes, that could explain why you like the doll looking face more since you are a doll maker. :lol:

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 09:47
Metalrocks, what if they made a new face "on and off" option in the next game? That could be original =)
I remember I saw her face in the store for the first time, back in 1997. It was an instant bond. And it was lost when Legend came out. Now, for the very long time, I can feel this bond again. Please, don't ruin my dream!

Chocolate_shake
9th Dec 2013, 11:03
The hair look fantastic . I am actually curious to see how the face looks during the emotional and intense scenes .

The main drawback of the standard face was poor facial animations . I reckon the more detailed next gen face will do those scenes more justice .

Still iffy on the eyes though .

Now all the hair and 3D nails and boot buckle freaks can rest in peace . :lol:

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 11:48
My friend who played DE said she also has very detailed teeth =)

Metalrocks
9th Dec 2013, 12:28
Metalrocks, what if they made a new face "on and off" option in the next game? That could be original =)
I remember I saw her face in the store for the first time, back in 1997. It was an instant bond. And it was lost when Legend came out. Now, for the very long time, I can feel this bond again. Please, don't ruin my dream!

i suggested that in different topic already. ;)
well, they are still pretty early developing the next title. if they would really give us this option between the original face and this DE face, i think everyone will be happy.
as long they dont take things out like in legend that when you enable the next gen, lara wasnt wet anymore.

larafan25
9th Dec 2013, 16:11
She looks SOOOO GOOD here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/picture.php?albumid=328&pictureid=8143

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 16:15

oops, cannot see the picture :scratch:

larafan25
9th Dec 2013, 16:18
Hm. It's a gif, but maybe it doesn't work outside the other forum.

Here is a screengrab of it:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/omgpetty_zps5c754f10.png (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/randomperson_2008/media/omgpetty_zps5c754f10.png.html)

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 16:30
Wow! Where did you get this? Really cool, thanks!

larafan25
9th Dec 2013, 16:32
It's a from a gif from another forum. CD made some gifs of the trailer, but this one happens to be new, I think.

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 16:43
I see, I'll look for it! Thanks =)

dark7angel
9th Dec 2013, 16:46

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/omgpetty_zps5c754f10.png (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/randomperson_2008/media/omgpetty_zps5c754f10.png.html)

I really can't get over how GOOD her eyes look!!!!! They are so alive and full of expression!

Chocolate_shake
9th Dec 2013, 17:03
Now that looks like Lara I know from TR9 ! ( With expressive eyes too ! )

I admit I stupidly jumped the gun and overreacted :o .

MissBrandy
9th Dec 2013, 17:35

omg ..and how did he played DE if it's still unreleased??:D

I don't think this new face it's perfect ... She has lost the feelings..
It's cute, but I really prefer her fear feelings in her face than fairy eyes and fairy look ....If CD add to this new face all those feelings they removed from this new face I'll accept it :)

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 18:00
omg ..and how did he played DE if it's still unreleased??:D

I don't think this new face it's perfect ... She has lost the feelings..
It's cute, but I really prefer her fear feelings in her face than fairy eyes and fairy look ....If CD add to this new face all those feelings they removed from this new face I'll accept it :)
My friend is official Russian TR community "missionary" and he meets with CD every year. He was at VGX, and don't worry - everything is fine with feelings, he says her emotions are stunning! :naughty:

Yansazonov
9th Dec 2013, 19:15

After my own research - i really liked her new face.
Can you SHOW US gif please?
Ive tried to find it-nothing.:wave:

P.S. Also Hello,Marylinfill - fellow forum pal :)

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 20:12
After my own research - i really liked her new face.
Can you SHOW US gif please?
Ive tried to find it-nothing.:wave:

P.S. Also Hello,Marylinfill - fellow forum pal :)
Hi, comrade!!:D Good to see you here!
I know where those gifs are, mail me i'll give you a link :thumb:
filljob@yandex.ru

kiadaw
9th Dec 2013, 20:22

Eyes is too slanted, too big. This fit into Korean MMO, FF, Barbie games, but not Lara, my opinion.

Remember that KEEP Lara as TR9 is one of the most request wishlists for TR10!

They should not keep changing her face, now that we are used to her realistic (not the texture, but the feature) look of TR9

Marylinfill
9th Dec 2013, 20:35
Eyes is too slanted, too big. This fit into Korean MMO, FF, Barbie games, but not Lara, my opinion.

They should not keep changing her face, now that we are used to her realistic (not the texture, but the feature) look of TR9
Her eyes are even too small for a real person =)
In Russia many girls look like this new Lara even without a plastic surgery :naughty: I think she is way more realistic than that Chinese baby they've made for TR9 =)

Murphdawg1
9th Dec 2013, 20:36
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=6958123&posted=1#post6958123

Comparison of PS 4/Xbox One to PC and PS 3/Xbox 360.

MissBrandy
9th Dec 2013, 20:55
her emotions are stunning! :naughty:

HOPE so :(

RybatGrimes
9th Dec 2013, 21:30

WOW. Lara looks so amazing here! She looks like a next gen version of TR4 young Lara! totally fierce! I'm in love with her new face. *o*

larafan25
9th Dec 2013, 21:34
She does, doesn't she?

No longer a creature of the night, a beautiful TR4 young Lara.

Crap. She really does. I can see her, and Father Patrick is on the other side of the camera, warning her, and she's so innocent, fierce and mischievous.

She gone go swimmin with the lil mermaid witch, who would look so creepy in NG graphics.

MeaganMarie
9th Dec 2013, 21:54
It's a from a gif from another forum. CD made some gifs of the trailer, but this one happens to be new, I think.

Yeah, I made this gif from some footage we didn't use! I thought Lara looked awesome and you guys would like to see it. :)

larafan25
9th Dec 2013, 22:02
How. Your taste is exquisite! D:

Yall got some good gif-making stuff at CD. That moment is so perfect. And her new face really gives the perfect expression for that idle animation (I think that's the animation where she holds her arm). :D

edit: Hm. She kinda reminds me of the leaked concept from 2009.

RybatGrimes
^Is there any way we could get a bigger size screen of that part in good quality?

CakeLuv
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/Tha%20Horse%20Gorl/user7_pic8143_1386589064_zpsa8a5ca07.gif

OH MY GODS I CANT I AM NOT EVEN; I CANT EVEN I AM NOT ABLE TO EVEN MY EVEN EVEN IS NOT EVEN HER FACE IS JUST SO EVEN I CAN'T EVEN

LERAFAN AND MEAGAN YOU FLAWLESS YOU

VaBanes
9th Dec 2013, 22:03
I would be fine with that face if they bring back her scars and remove that damn overdose of make-up...

RybatGrimes
9th Dec 2013, 22:04
I would be fine with that face if they bring back her scars and remove that damn overdose of make-up...

All she has on is eyeliner. :I

CakeLuv
9th Dec 2013, 22:04
^I think she has scars on her face doe.

VaBanes
9th Dec 2013, 22:07
All she has on is eyeliner. :I
Every girl I know who looks like that has more on than just eyeliner.

RybatGrimes
9th Dec 2013, 22:09
Every girl I know who looks like that has more on than just eyeliner.

Well this is a video game, just because she has a pretty face doesn't mean she has 20 pounds of makeup on, that goes for real life too. That's why she's called a natural beauty. Natural Beauties don't need a lot of makeup to look stunning.

CakeLuv
9th Dec 2013, 22:09
Eyeliner is everything.

VaBanes
9th Dec 2013, 22:11
Well this is a video game, just because she has a pretty face doesn't mean she has 20 pounds of makeup on, that goes for real life too. That's why she's called a natural beauty. Natural Beauties don't need a lot of makeup to look stunning.
And that's why I liked her much more in the standard TR9 version. Anyway, a matter of taste... I don't think this looks natural, even for a "natural beauty".

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
Don't know what you're talking about guys/gals, she still looks like a Barbie doll to me (awful, fake-looking lips and nose).

No idea what prompted the return to the plasticky face in the first place.

P.S. I'm willing to stomach that thing provided the sequel has actual puzzles, less shooting and writing that isn't cringe-worthy, however...

RybatGrimes
^This thread is for positive feedback?

I just can't get over her in that gif, she looks phenomenal! She looks kind of odd from different angles, but in that gif she looks almost exactly like the CGI renders face. CD pls don't change a thing. ;_;

CakeLuv
9th Dec 2013, 22:13
Don't know what you're talking about guys/gals, she still looks like a Barbie doll to me (awful, fake-looking lips and nose).

No idea what prompted the return to the plasticky face in the first place.

P.S. I'm willing to stomach that thing provided the sequel has actual puzzles, less shooting and writing that isn't cringe-worthy, however...

then play the ps3/Xbox/pc version and when the sequel comes out just put a finger on her face on cutscenes. :)

XylophoneDealers
9th Dec 2013, 22:40
Whoops - in my first post I said how I liked the head render they did and forgot to put the image. Well, here is the one I was talking about. I really am starting to like Lara's new new look XD

pwwzre_tomb_raider___official_cgi_renders_du_visage_lara_by_tombraider_survivor-d5ulhun.png

kiadaw
9th Dec 2013, 22:56
The 'new' Lara does not look like the Lara Croft Generation head model posted. If she does I would have know. I have spend the last 2 month working on the XNA Lara model. The in game Lara actually looks 75-80% like the face reference posted.

If she new face does, most of the complains would not have existed.

Sam_kain
9th Dec 2013, 23:08
I like the pic in the OP!

I think I prefer the new face - here's a comparison with the PC version:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb430/tecstar/forum%20pics/laranewpc_zps3a0fabd3.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb430/tecstar/forum%20pics/laranewpc2_zps47a53322.jpg

Seriously I don't know, I mean I just love both versions :D

Ask me which is better and I won't be able to answer.

Her new face seems more, realistic (?), but her older face model also looks distinctive.

I really love both versions.

RybatGrimes
9th Dec 2013, 23:37
^I feel the same, and her eyebrows, in the DE they seem more arched, and more stiff which will take away from emotion. D:

CakeLuv
9th Dec 2013, 23:43
^I feel the same, and her eyebrows, in the DE they seem more arched, and more stiff which will take away from emotion. D:

But in the right moment they look classic-ish D:

Murphdawg1
10th Dec 2013, 01:08
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/Tha%20Horse%20Gorl/user7_pic8143_1386589064_zpsa8a5ca07.gif

OH MY GODS I CANT I AM NOT EVEN; I CANT EVEN I AM NOT ABLE TO EVEN MY EVEN EVEN IS NOT EVEN HER FACE IS JUST SO EVEN I CAN'T EVEN

LERAFAN AND MEAGAN YOU FLAWLESS YOU

Definitely looks alot like the young woman see saw at the beginning of the game who is relaxing in her room on the Endurance listening to music on her smart phone.

Marylinfill
10th Dec 2013, 12:24
VOTE FOR THE PERFECT FACE!
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=137435

LaraxSam
10th Dec 2013, 13:47
I am really confused right now. Did they release pictures of the sequel yet? Or where do you guys get the new Lara pics?
Btw, I must say I am a little disappointed, because I think the new Lara looks too young and the old face was prettier, cuz there she looked more like the lone beauty.
But well, the new one finally looks like Lara Croft and has got the brown beautiful eyes! So I must say I prefer the new one since she looks like Lara, only a little too young.
I just prefer the old Lara over the new Lara Croft, cause I like that face more in general, it's just not fitting for Lara, so she's perfect now with her new face. (: Well done Crystal!

Yansazonov
10th Dec 2013, 16:17

It was Acid,wasn't it?;)

Marylinfill
10th Dec 2013, 17:52
Oh yeah =) He loved the remake =)

PallasAthene
11th Dec 2013, 03:46
I love the new look! It looks just like the promotional renders and Visual Works intro Lara, which is what they must have wanted her to look like in-game from the beginning. I do actually think her face is quite similar to the current gen one, but with the definition around her eye sockets and mouth and the detailed textures that they couldn't achieve on the current gen graphics.

I think the people objecting to this new model miss her old eyebrows more than anything, since they gave her that vulnerable expression, always being high up and sad looking. She also used to have more of a 'smizing' look, making her appear friendlier. However, when you actually look at how high up her eyebrows were, it kind of looked strange.

CD cant win though, because people were complaining that she looked too vulnerable and sad before. But thanks CD, United Front Games and Nixxes for making such a great character model. I think it's awesome! :thumb:

kiadaw
11th Dec 2013, 21:00
I love the new look! It looks just like the promotional renders and Visual Works intro Lara, which is what they must have wanted her to look like in-game from the beginning. I do actually think her face is quite similar to the current gen one, but with the definition around her eye sockets and mouth and the detailed textures that they couldn't achieve on the current gen graphics.

I think the people objecting to this new model miss her old eyebrows more than anything, since they gave her that vulnerable expression, always being high up and sad looking. She also used to have more of a 'smizing' look, making her appear friendlier. However, when you actually look at how high up her eyebrows were, it kind of looked strange.

CD cant win though, because people were complaining that she looked too vulnerable and sad before. But thanks CD, United Front Games and Nixxes for making such a great character model. I think it's awesome! :thumb:

We are not talking about better textures & more detail models, but facial features. I lost track how many times I have to repeat this.

Anyway,

There are some people that complain about her looking sad, & vulnerable, never mind that one of the theme of the game...but they do not start a thread, let alone like 4-5 threads just talking about that, as oppose to the new look, did they.

Lets be clear, since the DE trailer is reveal, most of the talk about the game is her face. This should tell you something.

I have been here, since TR9 is release, admittedly not that long, & haven't really massive responses to her TR9 look. If anything, its overwhelmingly positive, with 'Keep Lara' face as one of the top Wishlist for TR10!

RybatGrimes
12th Dec 2013, 03:06
We are not talking about better textures & more detail models, but facial features. I lost track how many times I have to repeat this.

You do realize you're not the only one in this thread? This thread isn't solely devoted to Lara's facial features, or what subject you're focusing on, but Lara's face as a whole. All that guy did was post his opinion, which is what the thread is for, there's no need to be snide or try and dictate the thread.

Lets be clear, since the DE trailer is reveal, most of the talk about the game is her face. This should tell you something.

I don't know if you're trying to imply that that's a bad thing, but her face being changed was a pretty major focal point for the reveal, in the trailer, and in general, so of course people are going to be talking about it, whether the talk about it is good or bad.

pirate1802
12th Dec 2013, 03:17
I think criticism of the new face should be taken to the criticism threads, this one is for positivity! :D

PallasAthene
12th Dec 2013, 08:18
Thank you 220 volts.

@Kiadaw, this is a thread about people who like the next gen face and I gave my opinion. Anyway, how do you distinguish between improved details and 'new facial features'? To me they are often one and the same. Of course if you improve the definition (and by definition I mean that in a 3d modelling sense, so the fineness of contour) of a face it is going to look significantly different. If you change even minor details like the depth of her eye sockets, the way her eyelids behave in facial animation, the arch, shape and positions of her eyebrows, the contours of her cheekbones etc, and of course her expression, it's going to make Lara look like she has quite different facial features. But all this adds up to improving the texture, detail and realism of her face. The only features they seem to have changed significantly about her face, as far as I can see, are her nose and the position/shape of her eyebrows.

And as a fan since 1996, please don't tell people what they can and can't talk about on forums.

kiadaw
12th Dec 2013, 10:11
They eyes shapes have changed. They eye brows of course. I have work on the XNA in game model for the past month so the change of her eyes are more obvious to me than maybe others. Anyway.

Hi guys, I think you misunderstand my intention. Maybe its the wrong choice of words or misunderstanding,

I try to say it clearer. I am not saying we cannot speak about other features, (ok, I can see the poor choice of words in my original post). The improved skin & eyes technically, is clear to me, maybe also slightly higher polygon count on the face.

Most people do not have a problem with these. These are clearly improvements.

Obviously also, when people mention they wanted the old face back, they do not mean they wanted the basic plastic skin texture back again.

Ok, yeah, its ok to voice out what you like, say about improved skin, more lively eyes, new eye shapes. My bad. Apology to everyone, & PallsaAthene.

But I just want to clarify, because there might be people that are confuse about the reasons people are divided about the new face.

A sentence like this
I like the New Lara, her skin & facial animation are fantastic. That would be a fair point.

A sentence like this would be misunderstanding of the point of the discussion about the tropic on her face.
Why would anyone go back to old Lara with her plastic looking skin, & unrealistic eyes. the new one look so much more realistic.

The above is a misunderstanding because that's not why some people are upset about the new face.

I keep hearing sentence like this from also the other threads (the ones that want her old look back), & have to explain to them many times, that people are not upset due to Lara(or resist) having more details, with better skins, more realistic eyes.

Cheers.

kiadaw
12th Dec 2013, 10:21
You do realize you're not the only one in this thread? This thread isn't solely devoted to Lara's facial features, or what subject you're focusing on, but Lara's face as a whole. All that guy did was post his opinion, which is what the thread is for, there's no need to be snide or try and dictate the thread.

I don't know if you're trying to imply that that's a bad thing, but her face being changed was a pretty major focal point for the reveal, in the trailer, and in general, so of course people are going to be talking about it, whether the talk about it is good or bad.

>First point.Ok, my bad, but I clarify my point in my above post.

>"2nd point. My point exactly. Her face is a hot topic, good or bad, like you mention,
Some of the complains for TR9, (you can never satisfy everyone, this is clear), like Lara have too dark hair, or green eyes (actually the eyes critic is justify as there is no good reason to change her eyes color) have been discussed, but not as hot topic as her face that people have to create multiple threads on them.

Andy64
12th Dec 2013, 16:39
The new look for Lara's face is closer to her look from TRU and is way more in tune with an updated version of Lara's face from the Core era.

Her eyes look an amazing shade of brown and the greeness there tthat never fit with traditional Lara is gone. The jawline curve is smoother and the change in cheek definition has brought some real attitude back. The new look for me is a winner.

Marylinfill
12th Dec 2013, 17:43
Guys, with all respect - we haven't seen anything yet =) Let's wait foe some clean screenshots or gameplay for a change =)

TranceTrouble
12th Dec 2013, 17:59
Guys, with all respect - we haven't seen anything yet =) Let's wait foe some clean screenshots or gameplay for a change =)

here you go, TRDE trailer HQ screengrabs: http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/TRDE_trailer_screens/

and below a few of my favorites ;)

VaBanes
12th Dec 2013, 18:13
Does anyone know from what scene this picture is?

I must admit, it does at least look better in HD, yet her skin is way too clean, imo... And I still prefer the old one.

Jurre
12th Dec 2013, 18:18
Yeah it's when she arrives in the 'arena' for the bossfight with the giant samourai zombie: she's looking at the solarii being killed by this creature...

Marylinfill
12th Dec 2013, 19:14
here you go, TRDE trailer HQ screengrabs: http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/TRDE_trailer_screens/

and below a few of my favorites ;)

Thank you very much, @TranceTrouble, I've seen all that days ago :wave: Still, it is not real gameplay video of something we can play, just a little glimpse of the game. I guess we have to play it to clear things out. Still, I love her face.
@VaBanes, I guess it's Ziggurat scene, right?

Marylinfill
13th Dec 2013, 11:43
http://s6.uploads.ru/Zy9AG.jpg

Driber
13th Dec 2013, 15:11
Dear guys, I try to make my own thread as well. In my opinion, the DE face of Lara is perfect, now I can tell she is really back! :wave:
AND please keep her new face in the sequel! It's fresh, pretty, charming and alive. Her eyes are brown and beautiful once again. Her features remind me Lara from the very first Tomb Raider game. And now she looks like a real human, at long last!! I was celebrating this the whole day! And I am so thankful for this new look! Crystal Dynamics, I LOVE YOU! :flowers: And I want you to know it.

width='200'

Please support me if you feel the same way. For those who are disagree - please, just try and adjust to her new look a bit. Maybe it's just your habit.

I haven't made up my mind about the latest Lara's looks yet, because the material we've seen so far is still too inconsistant.

But I can't help but feel like this image would be much more suitable in the OP:

width='720'

The image currently in the OP has bad lighting and it's making Lara look different than how she actually looks like in TRDE, I think. The one above seems to be more consistent to most of scenes in the trailer :)

This is by far my favourite screengrab and I think Lara looks gorgeous here :thumb:

I think Lara looked great before, but the 'new' look is an improvement, I think. In her eyes, they're browner and more alive, if that makes sense.

Lara's eyes definitely look more alive in TRDE, that's for sure.

I only caught the interview for the Definitive Edition, but the entire time I was just thinking (aside from how CD's Scott Amos said "Laura" over and over) was how awkward it must have been to show up for something she didn't really have a hand in. There's no new content or anything.

Being the voice actress and mocap performer for the game isn't enough involvement? :scratch:

Personally, I really like the changes of her facial features.

I always thought in-game Lara's face was a little too... how can I put it... round (?). So I like how this new model has somewhat more pronounced cheekbones.

I think I agree with you there. The roundish face of TR9 Lara may have made her more cute, but I it didn't really fit Lara, because her cheekbones have always been more pronounced.

I will with hold my opinion until I actually get to see the game being played on my PS 4 in glorious 1080p.

:thumb:

Here are GIFs who aren't hotlink protected: http://driber.net/os/tr9/gif/

Courtesy of Meagan :)

(Please don't embed those, folks. Direct link only!)

Not true. The wish states "keep Lara's looks". That doesn't necessarily mean "keep TR9 looks".

WOW. Lara looks so amazing here! She looks like a next gen version of TR4 young Lara! totally fierce! I'm in love with her new face. *o*

Wow, you're right, she kind of does! Didn't think of that before until you pointed it out :)

I think you nailed it!

What it says is that Lara's looks have always and will always be one of the main concerns of TR fans.

They eyes shapes have changed. They eye brows of course. I have work on the XNA in game model for the past month so the change of her eyes are more obvious to me than maybe others. Anyway.

Hi guys, I think you misunderstand my intention. Maybe its the wrong choice of words or misunderstanding,

I try to say it clearer. I am not saying we cannot speak about other features, (ok, I can see the poor choice of words in my original post). The improved skin & eyes technically, is clear to me, maybe also slightly higher polygon count on the face.

Most people do not have a problem with these. These are clearly improvements.

Obviously also, when people mention they wanted the old face back, they do not mean they wanted the basic plastic skin texture back again.

Ok, yeah, its ok to voice out what you like, say about improved skin, more lively eyes, new eye shapes. My bad. Apology to everyone, & PallsaAthene.

But I just want to clarify, because there might be people that are confuse about the reasons people are divided about the new face.

A sentence like this
I like the New Lara, her skin & facial animation are fantastic. That would be a fair point.

A sentence like this would be misunderstanding of the point of the discussion about the tropic on her face.
Why would anyone go back to old Lara with her plastic looking skin, & unrealistic eyes. the new one look so much more realistic.

The above is a misunderstanding because that's not why some people are upset about the new face.

I keep hearing sentence like this from also the other threads (the ones that want her old look back), & have to explain to them many times, that people are not upset due to Lara(or resist) having more details, with better skins, more realistic eyes.

Cheers.

Thanks for explaining :thumb:

Maybe to help avoid misunderstandings, you guys could also be more clear with what you mean by "old Lara". You see, for some people "old Lara" could mean classic Lara (TR1-5), while for others old Lara could mean "pre-TR9 Lara", while yet for others old Lara means "TR9 Lara" :nut:

http://s6.uploads.ru/Zy9AG.jpg

Ha!

Whether you like the new version or not, it is indeed truly amazing how far we've come since TR1 :worship:

blackrook
13th Dec 2013, 20:48
Being the voice actress and mocap performer for the game isn't enough involvement? :scratch:Well, she didn't record any new lines or anything for the DE. It's solely a visual upgrade.

Driber
13th Dec 2013, 21:02
Well, she didn't record any new lines or anything for the DE. It's solely a visual upgrade.

She's obviously there to promote the game, not just the next gen enhancements.

a_big_house
13th Dec 2013, 21:34
Well, she didn't record any new lines or anything for the DE. It's solely a visual upgrade.

You don't know that, they could have easily re-recorded her voice :)

Driber
13th Dec 2013, 22:37
Big official TRDE FAQ update, guys: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=140634

Scroll down to the second post.

RybatGrimes
14th Dec 2013, 06:36
You don't know that, they could have easily re-recorded her voice :)

Nope, someone asked Camilla on twitter if she had to redo any mo-cap, additional lines, or re record anything and she said no.

Here's the tweet. (https://twitter.com/camilluddington/status/409484463383388160)

Mick2412
14th Dec 2013, 10:16
The DE model for Lara's face is so cool. The redefining of her cheek bones and eye colour make her look so much more like Lara. The cuteness has kind of gone which I'm really pleased with. Hope they use this basis for her face in future games as it sums up that 'familiarity' that CD wanted to find with the new Lara.

RybatGrimes
15th Dec 2013, 03:28
^I agree, it's so refined, it just has so much of a Lara feel. ;_;

Her eye makeup slays me. CD better use this for the sequel.

Heidi_W
5th May 2014, 06:54
I'm kinda torn between the two versions, actually.

I lean slightly towards the DE version of Lara's face, but I prefer her eyes in the original version. I think she tends to have oddly non-expressive eyes in the DE, but maybe if they combined the best of both worlds in TR10 that would give the best result :D

Gitb97
24th May 2014, 14:36
I am really confused right now. Did they release pictures of the sequel yet? Or where do you guys get the new Lara pics?
Btw, I must say I am a little disappointed, because I think the new Lara looks too young and the old face was prettier, cuz there she looked more like the lone beauty.
But well, the new one finally looks like Lara Croft and has got the brown beautiful eyes! So I must say I prefer the new one since she looks like Lara, only a little too young.
I just prefer the old Lara over the new Lara Croft, cause I like that face more in general, it's just not fitting for Lara, so she's perfect now with her new face. (: Well done Crystal!

They're talking about the Ps4 and XBOX One Lara :)

kiadaw
9th Jun 2014, 22:09
If the trailer is any indication, Lara will looks closer to the original TR9. :)

DamianGraham
9th Jun 2014, 22:12
pgipzh_Screen-Shot-2014-06-09-at-6.10.04-PM.png

So I was watching the trailer again, and around the 0:35 mark I noticed that she has TWO pistol holsters on her legs.. Please tell me I'm not crazy lol does this mean dual pistols are back?!

CakeLuv
9th Jun 2014, 22:16
I saw a guy who said they were just materials to clench her fat thighs.

but srsly, they look more like a harness. c:

Weemanply109
9th Jun 2014, 22:20
I saw a guy who said they were just materials to clench her fat thighs.

:lol:

I hope the pistols are back. I want to use bow for stealth takedowns and the pistols for full on gunfights. I'd also love if they got rid of use of any other weaponry and let us use our enviroment as a weapon (setting traps for enemies, shooting down weak structures, etc).