PDA

View Full Version : What vehicles do we want to see?

Jurre
6th Dec 2013, 15:04
Vehicles were gloriously absent in TR9 (unless you count that rusty old boat), but if there were to be driveable vehicles in future games, what kinds would we want to see?

Me, I would want a motorcycle, a quad, a hang glider:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Hyener_PA2006.jpg/220px-Hyener_PA2006.jpg

A cloudhopper:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Cloudhoppers.jpg/220px-Cloudhoppers.jpg

A submarine: (doesn't it look cute?)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDpDoP1yAynaus-0t9qFWF_3cM1PIZBOEkDk_OMS_WjoXBaTYDZA

And if it were up to me I would give Lara a private spaceship like SpaceShipOne: :D

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD2SG06BVjyRKA_lDa1REgJsersnJ4eNVM_Rq315Sxwt-kGy_1yA

Metalrocks
6th Dec 2013, 15:11
jetpack :D

VaBanes
6th Dec 2013, 15:32
I must say, I don't really care about vehicles at all. ^^

Hotsam1
6th Dec 2013, 16:06
Speedboat/yacht

Chocolate_shake
6th Dec 2013, 16:17
A sports bicycle / bike that we can drive around a huge hub at our own will

Like that section in Underworld where we are in a jungle and you can drive around...

pirate1802
6th Dec 2013, 16:43
Horses, do they count as vehicles? Other than that her own yacht or a chopper.

VaBanes
6th Dec 2013, 16:48
Horses, do they count as vehicles? Other than that her own yacht or a chopper.
Thus she doesn't use her parents fortune, I doubt she has things like a yacht. ^^

Although I would like to drive with a military boat through the jungle like in Bad Company 2. :D

pirate1802
6th Dec 2013, 16:52
I actually thought right after she boarded that PT boat there'll be a sequence like this, where we'll have to drive through a river/swampy area with people attacking you left and right, and you'll see the whole team fighting. I know there was a cut scene but I had something more.. on the move.. in mind.

Jurre
6th Dec 2013, 16:54
I actually thought right after she boarded that PT boat there'll be a sequence like this, where we'll have to drive through a river/swampy area with people attacking you left and right, and you'll see the whole team fighting. I know there was a cut scene but I had something more.. on the move.. in mind.

I had the same idea when they were setting up the machine guns on board of the pt boat - you know Sam accadently firing one of them. I suspected a deleted scene like that. Turned out that my imagination was a little sweeter than reality as the deleted scene turned out to be an ordinary turret section... :o

jetpack
or a chopper.

Does this count? skip to 0:50 to see him flying:

OM7HHB51WX8

Already commercially produced in Japan :D

a_big_house
6th Dec 2013, 17:13
Just that damn sexy motorbike she had in Underworld.

Although, if at any point she's in a mineshaft, I want her to ride a minecart, Indy J style!

MissBrandy
6th Dec 2013, 19:45
Don't really care...but maybe I'll like to ride a horse in the game or a bicycle :lol:

AdobeArtist
6th Dec 2013, 21:48
jetpack :D

Damn, you beat me to it!! :p

Rai
6th Dec 2013, 23:57
Although, if at any point she's in a mineshaft, I want her to ride a minecart, Indy J style!

A mine cart a la TR3? Lordy that thing was a nightmare to handle...yet strangely fun.

I'm not that keen on vehicles, except maybe a Jeep, as long as it handles well.

Not really a vehicle, but we saw Lara parachute, what about if she skis down a mountain next time? We'd have to avoid obstacles.

a_big_house
7th Dec 2013, 00:46
A mine cart a la TR3? Lordy that thing was a nightmare to handle...yet strangely fun.
---
Not really a vehicle, but we saw Lara parachute, what about if she skis down a mountain next time? We'd have to avoid obstacles.

I may, or may not have gotten that far... :D

Really? Did all the sliding and throat impaling not bore you in TR9? :lol:
I mean, I can see it working better if were not limited to a single tiny, narrow, sharp cornered path, but damn, there is only so much Lara's arse can handle XD

Rai
7th Dec 2013, 01:12
I may, or may not have gotten that far... :D

Really? Did all the sliding and throat impaling not bore you in TR9? :lol:
I mean, I can see it working better if were not limited to a single tiny, narrow, sharp cornered path, but damn, there is only so much Lara's arse can handle XD

How bad were you at the parachute? :whistle: :vlol:. Lara was impaled on a fair few branches with me in control, I can tell you :p.

We could have a choice of difficulty slopes. Don't they do that in real skiing? Each run could also have different paths. As long as it's not a QTE fest, I think it could be fun. And of course Lara could get thrown about a bit http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif. Make it a a sort of fun interlude between all the raiding we'll be getting this time.

a_big_house
7th Dec 2013, 01:16
Well aren't you optimistic :lol:

And no, I think I was fairly good at the parachute, I however am bad at reading and misread what you wrote. I guess my response still applies somewhat, but I would like to see some skiing actually... I just want the next game to be overflowing with random stuff to do.

larafan25
7th Dec 2013, 03:54
A jeep to drive through open jungles with long, thick grass.

And/ or a raft to paddle through lakes between land hubs, or a speedboat.

Land hubs like AC4. LANDHUBZ.

Metalrocks
7th Dec 2013, 05:03
Damn, you beat me to it!! :p

:D
everything is better with jetpacks. sort of. :p

VaBanes
7th Dec 2013, 11:57
GTA San Andreas is. That's for sure. :D

Metalrocks
7th Dec 2013, 12:37
GTA San Andreas is. That's for sure. :D

lol, i actually never got the jetpack. i know it was in there but never really bothered at that time to find it. to busy killing things on the street :D

VaBanes
7th Dec 2013, 12:45
lol, i actually never got the jetpack. i know it was in there but never really bothered at that time to find it. to busy killing things on the street :D
I'm not sure anymore but I think this was even part of a main misson. ^^

Driber
7th Dec 2013, 14:24
Depends entirely on the kind of game TR10 is. If another survival game, then vehicles are obviously going to be gloriously absent again, as that kind of makes sense for the setting.

If more like the classic games, then I'd love to see the quad make its return. I had loads of fun with that little car, heh.

jLn3ylR9Ako&start=341

As said, Lara already did mine carts, heh. It was fun, but at the same time can be frustrating, too!

How bad were you at the parachute? :whistle: :vlol:.

The river rapids and parachute sequence was the most frustrating part of the entire game! http://driber.net/os/shakes_fist_dark.gif

Lara was impaled on a fair few branches with me in control, I can tell you :p.

Luck plays a big role in that part :p

Jetpacks can be damn fun, but I think we should keep the usage of those *very* limited, or else the term "hand-holding" doesn't even come close to describe the new TR games anymore :D

Metalrocks
7th Dec 2013, 16:21
lol, yaeh, i wasnt really that serious that there should be jetpacks in the next title. just a jeep would do fine to reach far away places.

@vabanes
i have no idea at all. has been years now since i have played it.

Jurre
7th Dec 2013, 17:23

Jetpack with miniguns and Elvis Presley!:

QojwI174vQg

VaBanes
7th Dec 2013, 18:01
Jetpack with miniguns and Elvis Presley!:

QojwI174vQg

Say hello to my little friend! :lol:

Andy64
12th Dec 2013, 16:24
I don't mind about too many vehicles but would be nice to see Lara's motorbike again

Jurre
12th Dec 2013, 20:12
I would love to see a motorcycle chase a la Legend to Shania Twains 'I'm Gonna Getcha Good' :)

XylophoneDealers
14th Dec 2013, 14:27
Ooh if there was a city scene, then I would like Lara to have a motorbike.
If it was a survival scene again, then maybe a bicycle or a horse or a camel. (or... A Sam :D)

BridgetFisher
16th Dec 2013, 14:05
snowmobile
yellow river raft
other fun adventure vehicles :D

PallasAthene
18th Dec 2013, 20:32
Motorbike. I'd love a kayak too. With modern graphics and controls it would be amazing.

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
9th Jan 2014, 23:34
definitely a motorbike or quad. maybe even include firearms attached to the machinery? but if it is a survival type of setting again, it'd be cool to ride some horses

NSW_pride
1st Feb 2014, 13:37
How about something like these in TR10.

tHRLX8jRjq8

yy-MKdRwhHs

lrkerh77MYY

uYGopujFYls

ZNIZWXzyYGc

Jurre
1st Feb 2014, 13:52
Motorcycle is something I think almost everybody would like to see and it's let's say: 'semi-iconic' to Tomb Raider.

If they are going open world then a motorcycle would be a good way to quickly cover large distances and if enemies come on motorcycles as well then you can easily take one over when you need one: then there will be no: 'damnit where did I park that motorcycle again'... just shoot an enemy from his bike and take it over...

I don't know if the second clip is referring to the bulldozer or the freerunning: bulldozer would be fun to pick up enemies in a jeep and throw them over a cliff :D but freerunning I think is something that should be left to Assassins Creed...

I don't see the connection between vehicles and Judy Dench in a courtroom...

NSW_pride
2nd Feb 2014, 03:43
I've edited my above post with more relevant videos.

Jurre
2nd Feb 2014, 09:05
No tank for me, I don't think that's Lara's style...

airetam2342
3rd Feb 2014, 04:40
If they brought back a speedboat or kayak there would be many a nostalgic tear shed.

I guess it really depends on the environment and context.

urban
vespa scooter (which prompts Lara to remark on the need for a motorcycle for next time)

water
canoe all those canoe jokes for the laraxsam people :whistle:
but all kidding aside, I think Lara piloting a seaplane would be amazing. so. many. possibilities....

snow
ski bike
dog sled it's been done in the movies, why not in a game?

land
panzercycle I've never played Mercenaries 2 but this seems really fun and crazy. very batman-esque and that's what Lara's all about :cool:
wheelchair Lara is recovering from her injuries and needs to make a "run" for it . now that I think about it an action game protagonist who uses a wheelchair would be a phenomenal character....hmmm :scratch:

But seriously any vehicle is good. It would be a welcome addition so long as it improves on the Legend motorcycle segments which I did not care for. I think the more unconventional the vehicle, the better. How about roller skates :lol:

BridgetFisher
3rd Feb 2014, 18:32
The jetpack would be very fun and fitting for an adventurer. Also didnt anyone mention a quad or some kind of inflatable raft which is very iconic.

I dunno I thought the whole adventurer idea was ditched in favor of a more COD like approach. So if that is the case I think drones should be in the game, or military vehicles, like a jeep should work?

Jurre
6th Mar 2014, 17:52
Seeing how many people here would want to see the motorcycle again brings up another question: how should the motorcycle be implemented in the game? What kind of gameplay should it be?

The bike sections in Legend were kinda primitive and simplistic, I know, but I appreciate the speed and spectacle, that makes those sections very thrilling. The bike in Underworld could preform cool powerslides and it had a role in some of the platforming and puzzeling, but what annoyed me was that Lara always had to dismount from the bike to pick up a collectable. And that gets rather tedious when you've just driven 4 meters and then see another collectable. It would have been better if she could just pick them up by driving over them.

If Tomb Raider was to go open world than that would definitely justify the presence of a motorcycle... in fact it would become a necessity.

a_big_house
7th Mar 2014, 08:58
^ If you can think of a way in which Lara could possibly pick up an item whilst riding a bike, then I'm on board, otherwise I'd rather just have to get on and off the bike

Jurre
7th Mar 2014, 09:49
I can think of one: by using a grappling gun to pick up the collectable while driving.

BridgetFisher
7th Mar 2014, 14:05
^ If you can think of a way in which Lara could possibly pick up an item whilst riding a bike, then I'm on board, otherwise I'd rather just have to get on and off the bike

I like the motorcycle idea, couldnt she just drive over them to collect them? That is how most driving games work so just do that I guess? Id really like some great jumps! and for the camera on some jumps to zoom out to take awesome screenshots, like her jumping over buddhas or maybe a chase on a castle where she flies along castle walls and also upside down. Id like it to be very fun, not boring, Lara is an adventurer, so id like to avoid the brown bag no frills approach seen in most games.

(For underwater how about a mini sub, a half sub so laras body is visible while she uses it, but I dont know if the game has any reason to be underwater unless teir doing an atlantis thing which would be fun! Egypt to atlantis that would be awesome!

Jurre
7th Mar 2014, 19:02
^ Well it better not be one of these things: they look soooo awkward!:

It would be inhumane to embarrass Lara with a thing like that :D Better to give her a DPV or sea scooter like this then:

And she could also ride the turtle! :)

dark7angel
7th Mar 2014, 20:29
Or something like what they used on the second film:

http://www.scuba-newengland.com/images/57fe_12.jpg

Thetford
8th Mar 2014, 14:09
With regards to a motorbike chase sequence, would you guys rather have a more direct conventional approach like previous games, like the kind of gameplay you get in racing games, or this is what I was thinking, do you guys remember that bit in the new Tomb Raider where she is sliding down river rapids and you have to move her left and right to avoid her being impaled, and use the shotgun to shoot debris out of the way. What about a system like that, where the game deals with acceleration and corners, while you have to avoid hitting obstacles (cars, fruit market stalls, mothers with prams etc) by going left and right, while using her weapons to shoot at enemies chasing her.

Also, a trans-continental European passenger train, not to pilot, but have a level on (like in Last Revelation), plus there can be a bit where she kicks an enemy out of an open carriage door, who gets trapped under the wheels, and Lara can quip "Murder under the Orient Express", though I think that might be a bit too much old Lara.

Jurre
8th Mar 2014, 14:50
I think there's three possibilities for motorcycle: scripted chase sequences with obstacles like Legend, using the cycle in platforming and getting somewhere faster in time based puzzles like Underworld, or as a means of transportation in an open world. I would be happy with any one of them.

Combat on a motorcycle I think would be a really though nut to crack: it should be possible to have free aim as I've seen it being done in Saints Row: but that was very difficult and chaotic. In a perfectly smooth game like TR9 I think it would really stand out as messy, for lack of a better word. Perhaps they should make autoaim available, even though autoaim always begs the question why there is gunplay to begin with...

By the way, I think Lara should definitely encounter enemies on motorcycles while being on foot herself, and rather than shooting they could charge her with machetes; I think of that as one of my better ideas :D

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4025/motorjw.jpg

A level on a moving train is not terribly original; I've seen it in at least three other games, but it's not really overdone either... It would be fine with me...

I am constantly thinking of post-kill oneliners for Lara to say: for example, after setting a guy on fire she could sing: 'Burn baby burn! Disco inferno!' or 'Fire! To destroy all you've done!' :D But I am not sure that would fit the current incarnation of Lara...

Britney
8th Mar 2014, 19:10
motorcycle :thumb:

pirate1802
16th Mar 2014, 05:39
Combat on a motorcycle I think would be a really though nut to crack: it should be possible to have free aim as I've seen it being done in Saints Row: but that was very difficult and chaotic. In a perfectly smooth game like TR9 I think it would really stand out as messy, for lack of a better word. Perhaps they should make autoaim available, even though autoaim always begs the question why there is gunplay to begin with...

For that they need to take "inspiration" from another recent SE game: Sleeping Dogs. I thought vehicular combat in that game was spectacular, both visually and gameplaywise satisfying. In that game basically when you hit a target on another car/bike, the game enters slowmo time for a while which allows you to shoot other enemies without losing control of your bikes much.

Driber
17th Mar 2014, 09:14
For that they need to take "inspiration" from another recent SE game: Sleeping Dogs. I thought vehicular combat in that game was spectacular, both visually and gameplaywise satisfying. In that game basically when you hit a target on another car/bike, the game enters slowmo time for a while which allows you to shoot other enemies without losing control of your bikes much.

:thumb:

SD really nailed vehicle combat with manual aim. It was so much fun!

Benovine
20th Mar 2014, 11:43
I'm very hesitant about vehicles, I hated them so much in every TR apart from Underworld where the motorbike was kinda fun.

A helicopter or something similar would have been fun in Treboot to transport ourselves around the island, so maybe something like that?

Gemma_Darkmoon_
18th Apr 2014, 14:19
Maybe the bike could be used as a kind of hub connection system or some kind of pursuit sequence for a gang of enemies who just stole an artefact off Lara.

Jen_Raider
22nd Apr 2014, 11:30
MOTORBIKE

Jurre
6th Sep 2014, 15:35
Seeing how the developers stated on multible occasions that they loved to read fans input (I guess they meant the ones that aren't related to the Xbone exclusivity debacle, but anyway...) here's another one of my brilliant ideas that are loved and admired the world over :D

What about Lara having an airship as a mobile command centre?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Zeppellin_NT_amk.JPG/300px-Zeppellin_NT_amk.JPG

You know: like a big zeppelin with a large gondola in which there is a room were you can do everything like upgrading stuff and select weapons and all that and were all the loot she drags out of the tombs is stored. And in the cockpit there is the pilot who would be kinda like this game's Joker (from Mass Effect, not Batman, big difference).
He would fly the airship to wherever Lara has to go and while she's on the ground Tomb Raiding and all that the airship can be seen circling around when you look up. Adventuring in Teddy Ruxpin style :D "Come dream with me toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...."

And perhaps the the name of the airship would be the Conrad Roth.

Wouldn't you know? Somebody has already made fanart of that :D

CroftManiac
7th Sep 2014, 10:16
Horse - riding!!

yamatai_veteran
18th Sep 2014, 13:22
The return of the snowmobile. I loved driving that and the big tune it played when you got it.

Lara_Fan_84
19th Sep 2014, 18:45
I don't like using vehicles that much in the TR games. I prefer going on foot, because you can explore more. If there was a vehicle level I'd like her to use a motorcycle.

Triangle3
6th Oct 2014, 11:27
The return of the snowmobile. I loved driving that and the big tune it played when you got it.

I am saying that too. I loved the Snowmobile with it's classic rock soundtrack and poor stability.

TSUSMC9
7th Nov 2014, 16:29
I loved the Ducati. Wouldn't mind having it in future games. But I do prefer to play on foot. So maybe a vehicle to just get from point A to point B with no pick ups or exploration needed. Kind of like the part in TR9 when Lara glided to the forest.

_IMPORT_Kanteanar
7th Nov 2014, 23:29
I dont really want to see any vehicles in TR10, I would rather they focus on improving or adding other gameplay elements. From what knowledge I have of the game industry, making a vehicles be able to navigate a part of a level is a whole separate chunk of work. I really liked the QTEs of TR9 where she would glide with a parachute. I would rather have this kind of game element with a vehicle (which is just as fun I think, and less work for the developpers)

TSUSMC9
7th Nov 2014, 23:39
I agree. I don't think that vehicles are a necessities whatsoever for ROtTR.

WinterSoldierLTE
17th Nov 2014, 23:03
I'll cast a vote for the snowmobile. It was clunky as Hellheim, hard to handle sometimes, but loads of fun. Especially when enemies happened to be standing in the path...

BluenoseGames
23rd Nov 2014, 11:53
Motorbike and possibly Snowmobile

Error96_
2nd Dec 2014, 22:19
Sorry to be predictable to choose bike and snowmobile but I did like mine cart too.

Chaugmar
13th Feb 2015, 14:14
I did like mine cart too.

Mine cart is lots of fun trying to guess where it will send you next which mostly was into a wall of snow at high speed.

Charlie_T_Raider
14th Feb 2015, 14:25
The motorbike is the most iconic so has to be that.

KManX89
18th Feb 2015, 19:52
Would like to see the motorcycle return for sure (if the level terrains allow it, of course), other than that, I'm not sure.

Tecstar70
18th Feb 2015, 20:45
I don't like using vehicles that much in the TR games. I prefer going on foot, because you can explore more. If there was a vehicle level I'd like her to use a motorcycle.

I agree. Vehicles can be limiting. If it couldn't be a decent part of the game play I would be happy not to see any.

Lara_Fan_84
19th Feb 2015, 01:44
I agree. Vehicles can be limiting. If it couldn't be a decent part of the game play I would be happy not to see any.

I also like to take in the scenery and enjoy the graphics, and you can't do that while it's going past you in a vehicle. I just wanted to add to my original statement.

47oldie
22nd Feb 2015, 18:40
Seeing as the Russians built the T34 tank in Siberia during WW2 and it looks like an old factory in the art. Maybe she can find an old tank or jeep. Probably wont happen but it would be neat.

Phasetastic
24th Feb 2015, 14:31
Maybe a helicopter or a Jeep more like Just Cause style so you can get between hubs quickly