PDA

View Full Version : Books too small and Gold color is missing

BridgetFisher
21st Nov 2013, 08:11
Hi I love this game I played it maybe 3-4 times and love the people who made Deus Ex.

Problem: I play on a HUGE 50 inch screen at 1920x1080 and those blue book things you pick up their so tiny on the screen I cant read that, I can tell who ever coded that part was on a little screen right in front of their face at a desk, but on a HUGE TV its tiny, can someone message them to fix that so its bigger?

thanks for the great remake guys, starting my first run on it now.

Good luck!!

(P.S.- Mary is credited with writing the story, tell her shes awesome, I really liked it, someone should buy her lunch for me sometime to make her day as a surprise. xD)

P.S.- I started playing it and felt something is off, the gold hue is missing! awww can we get an option to turn that on? For me it really made the game so iconic and stand out for me. On steam there is a HUGE thread I found from fans of Deus Ex who also liked the gold filter: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238010/?snr=1_7_15__13

CyberP
21st Nov 2013, 08:19
So they did actually remove the filter? I didn't believe it at first. Good move! Not the priority, certain gameplay systems are, but I'll strongly consider a purchase of the Directors Cut now, new of course.

Welcome to the forums!

There is more Deus Ex out there if you really want it.

As for your problem, use a smaller TV and sit closer, or just sit closer. Big TV's for gaming has many downsides, I noticed this almost immediately after playing on a friend's excessively giant TV.

Edit: oh, not a new member. Oh well, you're new to me....I think.

BridgetFisher
21st Nov 2013, 11:25
So they did actually remove the filter? I didn't believe it at first. Good move! Not the priority, certain gameplay systems are, but I'll strongly consider a purchase of the Directors Cut now, new of course.

Welcome to the forums!

As for your problem, use a smaller TV and sit closer, or just sit closer. Big TV's for gaming has many downsides, I noticed this almost immediately after playing on a friend's excessively giant TV.

Edit: oh, not a new member. Oh well, you're new to me....I think.

Hi thanks for the welcome! Im new to this part of the forums, xD. nice to meet you.

well I play on a big screen because Im on a couch, I mean I cant rearrange my whole room for one game. That said, its such a great game, I think maybe this is some weird UI thing that happens at 1920x1080 where its resizing it to be small I see that in other games, so should be easy to fix. I wanna read those ebooks, someone took time to write them give them love, and I want to take the time to read them.

Hmmm if you were more interested about gameplay from replaying id say check it out, much of that is revamped, I dont see much visually except the missing filter, am I the only person that liked it? I mean that was the whole aesthetic of the game, at first yea I hated it but now I realize it just feels like any other game and I dont like that because Deus Ex is a special game, though an option to turn it off would make everyone happy I think cuz I think eveeryone hated it at first but playing the game without it, its just missing that special touch ya know? You will see if you get it now and compare when playing the atmosphere it feels so plain now.

Ashpolt
21st Nov 2013, 14:44
I thought they said throughout development that the gold hue wasn't simply a filter and as such couldn't be "turned off"? Interesting. Would definitely like to see some screenshot comparisons highlighting the difference, if anyone has both versions of the game easily to hand?

Ilves
21st Nov 2013, 15:23
I thought they said throughout development that the gold hue wasn't simply a filter and as such couldn't be "turned off"? Interesting. Would definitely like to see some screenshot comparisons highlighting the difference, if anyone has both versions of the game easily to hand?

In the original version, when transitioning back and forth between the lecture hall where you confront the whatshisname anti aug activist, there's a very obvious sudden switch from a warm to cold palette. Seemed more like a matter of colored lighting than a post processing filter, but either way, its noticeably there, and you can catch a glimpse of the geomtery in different ambient hues.

Jerion
21st Nov 2013, 17:22
I asked about this. The lighting has been altered for the DC to be more uniform with The Missing Link's color palette- in other words somewhat less emphasis on "plain" gold and green, somewhat more emphasis on blues, reds and yellows. :)

Darthassin
21st Nov 2013, 18:05
But still... gold filter could successfully hide some graphical shortcomings and now game looks far worse than original (except missing link - it looks the same), not to mention preformance problems.

BridgetFisher
21st Nov 2013, 18:44
Hmmm looking back I think for missing link I didnt mind the gold missing, I mean its in a separate location on a boat, and was all enclosed indoors with nothing really high tech was the impression I got, the rest of the game its atmosphere is an open world where missing link is inside a boat after he woke up so I think no need to change the missing link part, or to make the rest of the game match it, the stylistic change would actually fit together quite nicely identifying the more claustrophobic nature of the ship.

From what Jerion said it sounds like the golden hue or affects were all custom added by the game designers. Awww, thats so sad, they removed all those late night where they stayed up tears in their eyes carnking code replaying the same parts over and over to get the look just right. That is so sad, think of all those pizza, all that caffeine, from the people who made that magic happen, I hate thinking that their not appreciated, all that work was gutted. Even if we dont get the gold filter thing back, I appreciated it, for gamers like me it made a difference, little things like that, are what other developers overlook, because they dont have style, all those people who helped make that gold look work in game from the programmers to the management have #SWAG since they got style. T_T

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The book issue:

I just watched a gameplay video and it shows the ebook going from top to bottom most of the screen, mine is stuck in the middle small, its as if I crank up the resolution the ebook got smaller and didnt scale with it, that is the bug making it so I cant enjoy reading all those fun books that someone took the time to write out for me to read, and I do want to read them :D

Cyberhuman
22nd Nov 2013, 04:02
Hmmm looking back I think for missing link I didnt mind the gold missing, I mean its in a separate location on a boat, and was all enclosed indoors with nothing really high tech was the impression I got, the rest of the game its atmosphere is an open world where missing link is inside a boat after he woke up so I think no need to change the missing link part, or to make the rest of the game match it, the stylistic change would actually fit together quite nicely identifying the more claustrophobic nature of the ship.

From what Jerion said it sounds like the golden hue or affects were all custom added by the game designers. Awww, thats so sad, they removed all those late night where they stayed up tears in their eyes carnking code replaying the same parts over and over to get the look just right. That is so sad, think of all those pizza, all that caffeine, from the people who made that magic happen, I hate thinking that their not appreciated, all that work was gutted. Even if we dont get the gold filter thing back, I appreciated it, for gamers like me it made a difference, little things like that, are what other developers overlook, because they dont have style, all those people who helped make that gold look work in game from the programmers to the management have #SWAG since they got style.

Take a look at this thread if you're interested: What would you like to see in a new Deus Ex game?

Somewhere on page 2 and 3 there are more thoughts on this particular issue, concerning the yellow haze/filter.

pirate1802
22nd Nov 2013, 04:27
Can someone post some screenshots of un-gold hazed areas where the difference is significant? I saw some with-without comparison but there was virtually no difference.

Darthassin
22nd Nov 2013, 09:18
Missing Link looks great without golden filter because it was designed that way. HR was clearly design with gold filter in mind and when they removed it looks terrible and it loses some of its atmosphere.

gulina
28th Nov 2013, 12:57

BridgetFisher
3rd Dec 2013, 11:29
Missing Link looks great without golden filter because it was designed that way. HR was clearly design with gold filter in mind and when they removed it looks terrible and it loses some of its atmosphere.

Good point, I always felt the absence of a gold filter in missing link fit the atmosphere to match its closed in claustrophobic feel. Its in a plane or ship where your being transported outside of the world so its a good contrast visually. Though when the whole game is like that I feel like the world is missing something, sorta bland maybe, the artisic and technical reasons behind the use of golden haze I think worked out nicely.

Triangletooth
3rd Dec 2013, 13:27
Gold filter should be selectively applied to the areas it looks best I'd say. Tai Yong, sewers and other places definitely benefitted from it.

ZakKa89
6th Dec 2013, 08:16
DC really looks worse imo.

BridgetFisher
30th Dec 2013, 20:27
Those books, they must belong in that library built for Ben Stiller..

Ba-Dum-Bum