PDA

View Full Version : My idea for immersive action combat with regenerative health (CD can use for free!)

Bokoblin23
21st Nov 2013, 03:44
I make games as a hobby (2D platformers mostly) and I came up with an accessible damage/combat system for immersive and, yet, accessible combat in games where over-the-top action sequences are common.

Please note, it's not supposed to be "realistic", but it is designed to suspend disbelief in the most effective way possible.

So, we know regenerative health is a staple in todays games because it means gameplay is accessible, yet still intense in short bursts. It also means players won't ever find themselves overwhelmed or quick saved into a corner.

However, there is something very immersion breaking about having a game where you get shot 100 times and then take cover to heal up gunshot wounds...

So here is my idea, CD you can have this idea for free because I want TR to be the best it can be, don't feel bad for taking it :D

Metalrocks
21st Nov 2013, 06:28
interesting idea but i still think that having medpacks or at least finding one or having med stations (like in HL) is more intense when you know your life is very low and there is no way get your health back until you find a med pack/station.

we will see what CD will do about it.

Jurre
21st Nov 2013, 10:00
This is what I thought that the first Assassins Creed was going for when they said that in swordfights Altaïr would go down very quickly after a hit and so did his enemies. Turned out it was just the traditional way of him absorbing hit after hit with a sword...

A good idea, although I don't think that disbelief has ever been a major issue in action games, what with every protagonist taking down entire platoons by their lonesome...

Psychomorph
21st Nov 2013, 11:22
"CD can use for free!" was my favourite part.

Idea is good actually. If they start firing at you they don't hit right away, you have a slight chance, an open and closing window. If you do nothing about it you get hit eventually and die, but if you move, the closing window remains open a bit longer, resulting in them not hitting you (which they'd have done already if you were not moving) and since you better move behind cover, you'd be safe behind it, having time to think what to do next.

Not gonna really happen, but a nice thought.

Edit: CD can use for free, too!

:p

larafan25
2nd Dec 2013, 03:33
You're literally a genius.

I like this idea a lot. Perhaps instead of calculating "deathiness" as the player is hit by each bullet, each bullet that "hits" works as an indicator fo tha game to know "gorl u need da cover before u DO actually get hit".

I think it's a cool idea, though I don't want regen in TR.... well I'll have it, but leik. it aint good for dat platforming, ya know?

AdobeArtist
2nd Dec 2013, 06:50
This is basically the Halo Formula. More specifically in the original game, it was the shields that regenerated, not the health. Health had to be recovered with med packs. So it was essentially two layers of damage, where the outer layer (shields) was self sustaining.

Bokoblin23
6th Dec 2013, 03:10
This is basically the Halo Formula. More specifically in the original game, it was the shields that regenerated, not the health. Health had to be recovered with med packs. So it was essentially two layers of damage, where the outer layer (shields) was self sustaining.

Except, I think that healthpacks don't make sense either. I think if you get shot, you are either injured for days at least, bar a short burst of adrenaline or you are fatally/critically wounded bringing you down.

In terms of immersion, I usually restart from a checkpoint if I am hit by even one bullet, personally, but I wish I could dodge more - I understand dodging gunfire is unrealistic in itself, but it gives you a bit more leeway for suspension of disbelief. :D

Bokoblin23
6th Dec 2013, 03:11
You're literally a genius.

I like this idea a lot. Perhaps instead of calculating "deathiness" as the player is hit by each bullet, each bullet that "hits" works as an indicator fo tha game to know "gorl u need da cover before u DO actually get hit".

I think it's a cool idea, though I don't want regen in TR.... well I'll have it, but leik. it aint good for dat platforming, ya know?

Thanks! This feature will also be in a future game I make, so look out for it :D

TPoppaPuff
10th Dec 2013, 05:16
I was coming in here ready to roll my eyes and laugh at what was about to come but much to my surprise this was something I had thought of as well a long while ago. Even the yellow around the screen to convey danger without meaning damage (red) was exactly what I had thought. It's the same exact thing as what we have ow just with one speck closer to gameplay-narrative continuity.

_Ninja_
10th Dec 2013, 21:10
Don't all shooters already do this all the time? The AI does not shoot with consistent machine like precision, which would be perfect. If you keep to cover and keep moving when out of cover the enemies will miss frequently and hit if you stand or move incorrectly (directly at or away). Thus forcing you into cover or active evasion and keeping you in that mode by having bullets whiz past you.

Take this too far and it will look silly however if the enemies can't hit what they logically should.

CakeLuv
10th Dec 2013, 21:33
What about... the bullets cutting your skin but not gettin in ya body o:

Jurre
10th Dec 2013, 21:40
Ninja's got a point; if the realism is what it's all about then a shot from, say: 6 meters or less should always be a one-hit kill...

BridgetFisher
18th Dec 2013, 05:06
I like med packs which work in the adventure games like TR, although being an adventure game its time to upgrade that mechanic, food should be useable with eating animations, also drink, fallout did a good job of this, it fits a little better I think than just rinse repeat med packs, if that is the only option then might as well regenerate instead of making the whole game one long med pack fetch quest.

Yansazonov
18th Dec 2013, 13:06
This idea was already used in SYPHON FILTER!
CMON