PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore/Realistic Damage Mode?

Bokoblin23
21st Nov 2013, 03:31
I would love a mode in TR10 where if you get hit by 1-2 bullets you are dead, which would be likely if you are out of cover and not scrambling or dodging during a fight while someone is shooting.

That doesn't mean I want enemies that are bullet sponges - difficulty shouldn't mean you get stronger enemies and weaker protagonist - it should mean the tension is higher, I think it's more fun having everyone including the player at the same level of high stakes risk.

Metalrocks
21st Nov 2013, 06:41
sounds like rainbow six vegas or splinter cell. at least in blacklist i had no armor since i was full on stealth and i died instantly. and i played it on realistic mode.
but TR is still more a adventure game. even when it has action you should not worry about dieing so quickly when its more about exploring. yes, we sure killed a lot of guys in TR9 but i dont want it to be a tactical shooter and call it then challenging.

but i agree that having bullet sponges as enemies on harder setting is not the best solution for calling it "hard mode". or even having more enemies.
rather suit the AI for each difficulty like "easy" they behave like in BF3 campaign, "normal" they stay behind cover, offering already a challenge and "hard" they try to flank you by working together.

just a ruff idea i had now wile typing this.

Psychomorph
21st Nov 2013, 11:12
I'd love it. I'm a bit of a realism fan and always choose a realism mode if available, don't even care about any other option.

The other side of the coin is that if you die fast, you kill fast. Just stay out of the line of fire and make accurate shots. Especially with the bow realistic mechanics would be great.

In fact, when I played TR2013, I cleared rooms a bit SWAT style. Stacking up at one side of the door, looking into the room to the opposite side, then running in while raising gun and turning to the other side, than staying close to the wall scanning the room.
This behaviour was not really necessary, but I did it to immerse myself. I hate to play games with a "playing just a game mentality".
In the older TR games I always loved to hit the sneak button when moving up the corners and then walked out slowly to see what is behind, also often pulled the pistols while stepping out. Of course this was also never really necessary because the TR games were not designed around realistic world/situation interaction.

I also hate to always run in games, freaks the living hell out of me. I love to walk and feel the environment and did this often in TR, to breath the atmosphere of the temples I explore. Also reason why I love the oldschool backward walk and side stepping in TR, feels so darn right to make few steps backward and then run forward to jump across a gap, instead to see the character turn around, run back, stop, turn around, run, jump.

I'm a strange gamer.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
23rd Nov 2013, 17:28
I like having a harder mode in games like with the latest TR on my first playthrough I put it on hard mode and didn't spend any upgrade points until near the end of the game.

I don't like the idea of having a hard difficulty level just based on the combat as TR is a series that has so much more than a shooter. If there is a harder mode I would like to see some tougher puzzles and platforming sections with plenty more deadly traps. A lot more animal/mythical enemies including bosses would be a good thing.

pirate1802
23rd Nov 2013, 17:51
^So how much difference is there between a hard mode with full upgrade Lara and weapons and a hard mode with no Lara upgrade and weapon upgrades? I'm planning on such a playthough to see how harder it gets..

Gemma_Darkmoon_
23rd Nov 2013, 18:02
Most of the time I used bow and arrow and had to be sneaky as enemies with machine guns can kill Lara really quickly. I still found it rather easy until shanty town where the lack of health without the upgrades makes it very tough. It took me a lot of tries to beat some of the battles there.

pirate1802
23rd Nov 2013, 18:20
Hmm, this excites me :D the machine gun, is it very accurate without the upgrades? I remember the WW2 machine gun being wildly recoiling without the upgrades..

VaBanes
23rd Nov 2013, 18:44
I like that idea! :thumb: I also think it would fit Lara's character much better than killing a thousand of enemies and act like it's nothing.

Just like in Max Payne 3 on Hardcore mode. There is even the possibility to get "one hit killed" by an accidentally headshot.

_Ninja_
24th Nov 2013, 09:52
TR2013 level design does not accommodate that damage model very well. IMO.

Level design needs to be more open with multiple options. Stealth needs to work better, like being able to hide after you've been spotted, and enemies should not automatically know where you are if just one sees you.

Chocolate_shake
24th Nov 2013, 12:43
I agree . I hope stealth mechanics become more robust in the future.

pirate1802
24th Nov 2013, 15:11
I'm trying to visualize the situation: Lara hiding behind a wall while guys are firing at you with rifles. How would the situation play out in your scenario as opposed to the standard situation?

Also I agree with the others. Stealth needs to be better in future games. And also the level design to accommodate it. You should be able to bypass enemies without engaging them, enemies should move around rather than stand in a place. And nonlethal ways of disposing with them would be nice too.

Psychomorph
24th Nov 2013, 16:24
I vote for good stealth implementation.

Bokoblin23
6th Dec 2013, 03:13
TR2013 level design does not accommodate that damage model very well. IMO.

Level design needs to be more open with multiple options. Stealth needs to work better, like being able to hide after you've been spotted, and enemies should not automatically know where you are if just one sees you.

It's nothing a few accuracy variables couldn't fix. I literally played TR2013 this way by restarting from a checkpoint every time I was hit by a bullet.

Metalrocks
6th Dec 2013, 10:15
It's nothing a few accuracy variables couldn't fix. I literally played TR2013 this way by restarting from a checkpoint every time I was hit by a bullet.

wow. seriously???
its not like you fail the game if you get hit. must take you ages to finish of a section. not saying its a bad thing the way you play, just a very odd play stile.
do you do this with every game or only games you have the option to use stealth? otherwise if you play action games like painkiller, half life, etc, you will be stuck pretty much in the first level :p

i did this in splinter cell thoufgh when i tried to be stealthy. sure had some moments were i had go back to the resent checkpoint. but not in TR. specialy at the end when you have to fight off the huge enemy wave.

pirate1802
6th Dec 2013, 11:35
Well I'm doing it in AC4 since this unlike past ACs give you opportunities to stealth your way through. So I restart from last checkpoint whenever I get detected :p

Woogiemush
25th Jan 2014, 06:09
This would be fun, yet challenging. I think it would be really amazing for a hardcore realism person, or someone who just wants a challenge.

But, I prefer it stays as is. Tomb Raider's new direction could include options like this, but it's perfect right now. It wouldn't work with the others, like Tomb Raider: Legend, and Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Heidi_W
28th Apr 2014, 10:35
I would like fewer enemies in TR20, but those that are there should be more challenging to overcome. Although TR9 was a great game, the Solarii were only really threatening when attacking in a large group with sheer weight of numbers. In small groups they were pretty easily dispatched.

I think the harder difficulty levels would have your enemy harder to hit (quicker and more agile) as opposed to being able to absorb a greater amount of bullets. Let's face it, some of the Solarii were kind of idiots (slowly advancing on your position out in the open), having them sprint from cover to cover would make it much tougher to knock them off (and also ratchet up the tension level as they close the distance).