PDA

View Full Version : TOMB RAIDER possible future: platform exclusive???

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 18:10
Hi there people.
My mind is quite lost by now after reading a thread in TR spanish forum ...

Some fans are coming up with some (┬┐conspiracy?) ideas about the future of Tomb Raider. I'm going to write them right below (and sory if my english it's heavy to understand)

1. They expect that TR game rights will be finally sold by Square Enix because they aren't happy with the Reborn results. And that new company who's going to own TR can change Crystal Dynamics to another game studio. ...My oppinion about: OMG !! CD means a lot for me so I hope this wont happen even if SE will decide to sell TR :( . With this first 'idea' they've axposed, we can expect TR to continue as multi-platform game. But caution with the second :

2. If SE finally sell TR, the game rights can be bought by Microsoft and being delivered to a game studio owned by MS and turn into a XBox exclusive game. .... My oppinion about: I'm heaving headache just to imagine that. This second it's not just excluding Crystal Dynamics it's expecting TR as xBox game exclusive :eek::eek::eek: Bad!! BAD !! BAAAAD !!!:mad2::mad2:
I guess they got this idea because of 'relationship' with XBox with that exclusive dlc fo this console and because the game was introduced in Microsoft XBox game category at E3.

Ok ...now I'm going to take an aspirin for my headache and trying to breath normally.

Somebody wants to say something about this?? :rolleyes:

Jurre
20th Nov 2013, 18:16
Humbug, nothing but sensationalism and fearmongering.

Who believes conspiracy theories anyway? There all nonsens. If you hear a conspiracy theory just relax, take a deep breath, and don't take aspirins because according to a website they're full of radioactive material...

That was a joke :D

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 18:25
yes...for me it's a conspiracy ...anyway, how could fans think about that ??

I mean, I'm not God and don't see the future, so I don't know if this can happen in a future ... but how you can be born with a mother (Crystal Dynamics) and then think ''What if I change my mother?'' ..

Core Desing aside, CD has given Lara birth. (personal oppinion)

VaBanes
20th Nov 2013, 18:49
I doubt they will ever do something like that. ^^

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 19:02

I doubt as well ...

maybe spanish people is having too much free time, so they can sit and think about ''what if..'' :lol: :D

Driber
20th Nov 2013, 19:05
Heh, don't worry about this even for one minute, MissBrandy.

There's nothing that would indicate such a thing would happen in the near future. CD's partnership with Xbox is just that - a partnership. That in no way should be connected to theories about TR going Xbox exclusive. CD also partners with AMD. Doesn't mean they exclude nVidia players, does it?

The TR franchise being sold by SE? They'd be crazy to do such a thing - it's one of the best western franchises they own.

Oh and it was Core who gave birth to Lara, not CD.

maybe spanish people is having too much free time, so they can sit and think about ''what if..'' :lol: :D

Was thinking the same, but decided not to write that :p :D

VaBanes
20th Nov 2013, 19:54
Oh and it was Core who gave birth to Lara, not CD.

I guess she meant they gave her "real birth" with the reboot. Like "the previous games were ok but TR9 was amazing". ^^

pirate1802
20th Nov 2013, 20:32
Take a deep breath and relax... :D

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 21:06
@Driber: I agree with what you said. SE should be more happy with TR franchise and stop complaining about loosing money with ... :mad2: they didn't lose nothing :whistle:

I guess she meant they gave her "real birth" with the reboot. Like "the previous games were ok but TR9 was amazing". ^^

Yep ...that's what I meant. That's why I said Core aside. CD created that ''A Survivor is born'' reboot :p

Driber
20th Nov 2013, 21:35

I know how she meant it. I was voicing my opinion that I disagree with it. TR9 was amazing, but not the best in the series ;)

@Driber: I agree with what you said. SE should be more happy with TR franchise and stop complaining about loosing money with ... :mad2: they didn't lose nothing :whistle:

SE never said that.

From what I know, they pretty much broke even with TR9.

Metalrocks
21st Nov 2013, 06:20
SE are just spoiled little brats who cry if they dont get what they want and have huge expectations. just like capcom who also said the same thing about a title (i think it was RE6) that dint sell that many copies as they expected, but for everyone else it was a success.
so you can relax. just like the others stated, its very unlikely that this will happen.

thanks for sharing this crazy conspiracy anyway. always amusing to read stuff like that. :D

Driber
21st Nov 2013, 09:17
Wait just a darn minute here!

Capcom...

Backwards that's mocpac. Move the a one place forward and that's mocapc. Remove the c and you've got mocap. That's the same technique that SE had CD use in their latest game....

Could that mean... they are secretly one and the same company?!

http://driber.net/os/jesse-ventura.jpg

I think you're onto something there, Metal.

Metalrocks
22nd Nov 2013, 09:02
:nut:
well, crapcom and SE are both stationed in japan. maybe its just a japanese mentality ave high expectations and behave like a spoiled 8 year old brat. :p

i have to sound stupid now but what did i miss with this technique that CD and SE used?

pirate1802
22nd Nov 2013, 09:07
Mocap xD

Telekill
23rd Nov 2013, 15:54
I'm guessing this is wishful thinking from an Xbox fan. I highly doubt this would ever happen. Even if they did sell it to Square, they are third party and not on Microsoft's team. They're on their own team.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
23rd Nov 2013, 18:25
TR(2013) was coming off the back of a few mixed TR games that hadn't gained vast amounts of impact. It wasn't a just prior to Christmas release either. It did really well and next game TR is going to have a lot more momentum behind it. There was a lot of development needed for a reboot but hopefully a sequel will cost less to make as a lot is already in place.

The results weren't bad for TR and it is a big series so I can't see SE giving it up. With the percentages of TR games sold on the different consoles exclusivity would be terrible for TR.

When I played the first TR back on the Sega Saturn it was so far beyond any game I'd seen before. It still amazes me that Core/Eidos managed that level back then. It was a 'real birth' of an icon and projected Lara to become the biggest female video games character to the point with people all around the world knowing who she was. I do agree though that CD produced the best TR game in many years with TR(2013) and that has really had an impact. Fingers crossed it will draw a lot more people to play the sequels and maybe a 'real rebirth' is more accurate.

Samara
28th Nov 2013, 16:16

Well, Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow were both exclusive to the Xbox 360. :rasp:

Hotsam1
28th Nov 2013, 20:21
Well, Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow were both exclusive to the Xbox 360. :rasp:

Yeah I had to watch this on YouTube :eek:

I hate the fact that some games fail to get released across different platforms.

Klona13
28th Nov 2013, 21:10
I actually can imagine people rebelling and burning themselves in front of their HQ.

Jurre
28th Nov 2013, 21:15

That was during the Eidos era, it's a different company now. Tomb Raider is still made for Xbox and then converted to other platforms, but who knows - maybe Square Enix didn't continue this exclusiveness agreement with Microsoft at all?

pomeranianpuppy
28th Nov 2013, 21:16
2. If SE finally sell TR, the game rights can be bought by Microsoft and being delivered to a game studio owned by MS and turn into a XBox exclusive game.

Not unless they want a riot on their hands!

MissBrandy
28th Nov 2013, 21:54
Tomb Raider is still made for Xbox and then converted to other platforms, but who knows - maybe Square Enix didn't continue this exclusiveness agreement with Microsoft at all?

I don't pretty much care if TR is made first for Xbox if then it's converted to the other plataforms. And if agreement with Microsoft reduces internal cost of the game it's pretty good for CD ... It's still a 3 platform game. I'll start worrying about when they will exclude one of that 3 platform ...:nut:

Yep .. I think they finally realize that. But still don't believe too much in Square Enix ...I don't know why.:whistle::whistle:

Samara
28th Nov 2013, 23:07
I hate the fact that some games fail to get released across different platforms.

The only times when you can be happy about an "exclusive platform game" is when you own that platform. :o

(In my case: Uncharted / The Last of Us....) :whistle: :gamer:

Murphdawg1
28th Nov 2013, 23:28

Agreed. At least judging from this forum there is still a strong Tomb Raider fanbase on the Sony brand of console so while it's been a very long time since Tomb Raider was exclusive to a Playstation console I think even Sony realizes how huge of a loss that would be if Tomb Raider suddenly became exclusive to Xbox/PC.

Driber
29th Nov 2013, 15:58

Add-ons are different than entire games.

That was during the Eidos era, it's a different company now. Tomb Raider is still made for Xbox and then converted to other platforms, but who knows - maybe Square Enix didn't continue this exclusiveness agreement with Microsoft at all?

I doubt it's an Eidos vs SE thing and I'm not sure if the dev kit of choice (TR is not "made for xbox") has much to do with the DLC contracts, if anything at all.

The only times when you can be happy about an "exclusive platform game" is when you own that platform. :o

"Happy" wouldn't be the correct word.

I wouldn't feel all that happy knowing that a good chunk of TR fans wouldn't get the play the game.

Agreed. At least judging from this forum there is still a strong Tomb Raider fanbase on the Sony brand of console so while it's been a very long time since Tomb Raider was exclusive to a Playstation console I think even Sony realizes how huge of a loss that would be if Tomb Raider suddenly became exclusive to Xbox/PC.

Actually, TR was never exclusive to PlayStation.

Samara
29th Nov 2013, 16:51
"Happy" wouldn't be the correct word.
I wouldn't feel all that happy knowing that a good chunk of TR fans wouldn't get the play the game.

Sorry Driber, didn't mean to offend. :rasp:

Hotsam1
29th Nov 2013, 21:57

I don't think add-ons are different from entire games. That is like saying that story dlcs/expansions are irrelevant to the main game. For example I am currently playing Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea and this continues the story arc.

On another note I remember the following to be exclusive to PC/Mac:

Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business
Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask
Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artifact (Full game)
The Times bonus level released for The Last Revelation

I had played these myself with the exception of the Times bonus level. I've found these expansions staggering, for example finding out that Sophia from Tomb Raider III London level survived and returned to wreck vengeance. :worship:

Driber
29th Nov 2013, 23:03
Sorry Driber, didn't mean to offend. :rasp:

lol, I wasn't offended :)

I don't think add-ons are different from entire games.

Ah, so you wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for a DLC then...

that is like saying that story dlcs/expansions are irrelevant to the main game.

Uhmm... no it's not saying that :scratch:

On another note I remember the following to be exclusive to PC/Mac:

Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business
Tomb Raider II: Golden Mask
Tomb Raider III: The Lost Artifact (Full game)
The Times bonus level released for The Last Revelation

I had played these myself with the exception of the Times bonus level. I've found these expansions staggering, for example finding out that Sophia from Tomb Raider III London level survived and returned to wreck vengeance. :worship:

Those add-ons have even less to do with the point of this thread. Those were all released in the 90'ies. Console DLC was pretty much non-existant in those days. And Xbox didn't even exist until after TR3 or 4.

Murphdawg1
29th Nov 2013, 23:18
Actually, TR was never exclusive to PlayStation.

If you're just talking about consoles Tomb Raider II and III were exclusive to Playstation while also being available on PC.

Driber
29th Nov 2013, 23:33
If you're just talking about consoles Tomb Raider II and III were exclusive to Playstation while also being available on PC.

And Mac. So that's 3 platforms those games were released on. That's not an example of "exclusive".

a_big_house
29th Nov 2013, 23:54
Is it fair to point out that the 360 is easier to develop games on than the PS3, but that the PS4 is easier to develop on than the Xbone?

CD could have just chosen the easiest route, that or at the time of the E3 showcase, Nixxes were still working on the PS3 version, thus meaning they couldn't show it...

Murphdawg1
30th Nov 2013, 00:07
Is it fair to point out that the 360 is easier to develop games on than the PS3, but that the PS4 is easier to develop on than the Xbone?

CD could have just chosen the easiest route, that or at the time of the E3 showcase, Nixxes were still working on the PS3 version, thus meaning they couldn't show it...

Sure although in side by side comparisons I think the PS 3 version of Tomb Raider looks better than the 360 so maybe Crystal Dynamics used the PS 3 as the lead platform?

Hotsam1
30th Nov 2013, 00:22
Ah, so you wouldn't mind paying 60 bucks for a DLC then...

I wouldn't dream of paying that much:poke:

Uhmm... no it's not saying that :scratch:

Ok I took your wording out of context

Those add-ons have even less to do with the point of this thread. Those were all released in the 90'ies. Console DLC was pretty much non-existant in those days. And Xbox didn't even exist until after TR3 or 4.

Yes just a little fun history lesson for the fans.

Driber
30th Nov 2013, 09:42
Sure although in side by side comparisons I think the PS 3 version of Tomb Raider looks better than the 360 so maybe Crystal Dynamics used the PS 3 as the lead platform?

360 is (was) CD's dev platform of choice. The fact that the game looked better on PS3 is probably to do either with the hardware differences between the two consoles, or Nixxes optimizing the code for the PS3 better. Or both.

I wouldn't dream of paying that much:poke:

So there is a difference then :)

Yes just a little fun history lesson for the fans.

Heh, no. I was making the point that we can't take the gold levels of the classic games as an example of "platform exclusives". Things were a lot different in those days and there was no level playing field.

In my view, TR only ever had one truly platform exclusive and that was the bonus contents of TRU. The playing field was level at the time of TRU release and CD could have released the bonus contents for PC and PS3 if they wanted to, but purposely decided not to and (presumably) had an exclusiveness contract with Microsoft.

The gold levels were released on multiple platforms, so there was no exclusiveness contract behind it.

Woogiemush
7th Feb 2014, 05:34
And Mac. So that's 3 platforms those games were released on. That's not an example of "exclusive".

Yes.

It's on 3 platforms, but it's exclusive to 1 gaming console, the PS1.

CakeLuv
7th Feb 2014, 14:15
It's not an exclusive then goddamnit, and wasn't TR 1 on Sega or something?

Driber
8th Feb 2014, 10:44
Woogie, did you just bump a 2+ months old thread just to correct me? :D ;)

It's not an exclusive then goddamnit, and wasn't TR 1 on Sega or something?

Yes, that still doesn't make it an exclusive.

And yes, TR1 was released on Sega Saturn + PS1 from the get-go, so it wasn't even exclusive to 1 console.

(And now we can even count N-Gage, iOs, PS3 and PS4 :whistle:)

VaBanes
16th Aug 2014, 19:41
This thread... O_o

Murphdawg1
16th Aug 2014, 19:57
This thread... O_o

Rises from the dead.

Jurre
16th Aug 2014, 20:01

Ah, what an innocent time that was; the days of pearly spencer...

Elliot Kane
16th Aug 2014, 20:46
^ Too right. TR has always been available on PC, too, right from the start.

Like Gemma, I was blown away by TR1. I hadn't imagined computer graphics could be that good. It was huge and awesome and I loved every minute I spent playing it. It was a truly seminal game, and in terms of impact it is one of a select few games that truly changed the industry.

As for the purpose of this thread: we do not know for sure that the next game will be released on any platform except for XBox. We hope it will, but all SE/Crystal have said is that it MAY be ported to other platforms.

Weemanply109
16th Aug 2014, 21:51

Nooooooooooo! :lol:

Sorry, VaBanes, but this post and the recent situation. :(

VaBanes
16th Aug 2014, 23:56
Heh, don't worry about this even for one minute, MissBrandy.

C'mon, everyone was thinking that. xD

It's kinda funny and sad at the same time reading through this thread.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 00:00
After the S****T storm that this whole ordeal has created CD would be INSANE to make it console exclusive, even if they got offered the money. I hope CD and SE aren't stupid enough to do that. CD is still the developer of TR, they have the power to tell Square Enix to back off with this crap and to stop trying to get a quick cash-out. Big business pisses me off to no end (especially when it affects something that has high sentimental value to me such as Tomb Raider) :mad2:

Driber
17th Aug 2014, 00:07
C'mon, everyone was thinking that. xD

Wut? No they weren't.

It's kinda funny and sad at the same time reading through this thread.

Oh and that's why you decided to bump the thread, so more people can feel sad? Gee, thanks so much, man :p

VaBanes
17th Aug 2014, 00:16
Wut? No they weren't.

That was not a reply to your quote actually but to the post before. Because quite ALL people never expected TR to become in any way exclusive, not just me... :p

Didn't try to make people feel sad, just remembered this thread and thought it was kinda strange..

Driber
17th Aug 2014, 01:05
That was not a reply to your quote actually but to the post before.

Oh I see. Well, you quoting my post from last year doesn't make any sense then, because I still don't believe the conspiracy theories as laid out by the thread author.

Because quite ALL people never expected TR to become in any way exclusive, not just me... :p

Uhm, no, that is a misrepresentation of this thread (before you bumped it, that is :p).

No one said that they never expected TR to become in any way exclusive. The 'conspiracy theory' as mentioned in the OP was about SE selling the TR franchise to a different company and that company making the franchise an XBOX exclusive.

Neither of those things happened. SE still owns TR, and the series has not become an XBOX exclusive. One game is a timed exclusive.

So in that regard, nothing really has changed, apart from the fact that obviously some people will now be less hesitant to believe those conspiracy theories as laid out by the thread author than when this thread started.

DamianGraham
17th Aug 2014, 01:07
Uhm, no, that is a misrepresentation of this thread (before you bumped it, that is :p).

No one said that they never expected TR to become in any way exclusive. The 'conspiracy theory' as mentioned in the OP was about SE selling the TR franchise to a different company and that company making the franchise an XBOX exclusive.

Neither of those things happened. SE still owns TR, and the series has not become an XBOX exclusive.

So in that regard, nothing really has changed, apart from the fact that obviously some people will now be less hesitant to believe those theories than when this thread started.

Wait... So it's not exclusive to Xbox?!

Hehe just kidding

VaBanes
17th Aug 2014, 01:15
Yeah, obviously not all people. I was not really exact. And just talking about that exclusive thing, not about the "SE sells TR".

Just tried to say that first most people were like "TR an exclusive for xbox? never!" and now it actually happened in some way.
I mean, at the moment it IS exclusive or not? They did not confirm anything yet that it definitely will come for other platforms, did they? (although I think so, would be a waste if they wouldnt).

Driber
17th Aug 2014, 01:30
Yeah, obviously not all people. I was not really exact. And just talking about that exclusive thing, not about the "SE sells TR".

When you have to backpaddle your argument this much, you know it wasn't a good one to begin with :D

Just tried to say that first most people were like "TR an exclusive for xbox? never!"

Still a misrepresentation. You cannot just separate the 'exclusive for xbox' part from the selling of the franchise part, when the latter part was obviously was a reason for most people to go "never!"

and now it actually happened in some way.

Emphasis on in some way.

I mean, at the moment it IS exclusive or not? They did not confirm anything yet that it definitely will come for other platforms, did they? (although I think so, would be a waste if they wouldnt).

Ugh, this has been discussed at length (and to some, ad nauseam) in the main thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=153449), and several spin-offs. Let's not boot up that whole discussion again also in this thread :/

Weemanply109
17th Aug 2014, 02:19
This thread is sad, indeed. :lol: Even Driber tried to re-assure the poor folk of the inevitabl- oh wait. :whistle: :p

I never knew people expected TR to get any exclusivities this big prior to recently. Well done to the OP for calling it, though. :lol:

Tihocan
17th Aug 2014, 06:51
I'd say it was far fetched, but after what Microsoft did to Nokia nothing would surprise me.

Tecstar70
17th Aug 2014, 08:31
I would never say that it could never happen, but blimey people do like to think about these things to much.

Metalrocks
17th Aug 2014, 14:01
after this disaster, it would honestly not surprise me. they did this crap already with halo 3. first 2 titles on pc, then part 3 no pc release, nothing. great, we are left in the dark hoe the game ends.
thanks M$.

but i really do hope this will never happen.