PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Sequel is ‘Next chapter of Lara’s development’ - Brian Horton

Shaikh
20th Nov 2013, 15:31
Earlier this year Square Enix launched the critically acclaimed reboot of the Lara Croft story, Tomb Raider (http://electronictheatre.co.uk/pc/pc-in-depth-reviews/34056/electronic-theatre-in-depth-review-tomb-raider). The first chapter in a new series, it’s no surprise that work has already begun on the sequel, though it seems as though development is moving at a swifter pace than some may be expecting.

At last week’s Bradford Animation Festival (BAF), Brian Horton, Senior Art Director at Crystal Dynamics, gave a presentation discussing the history of Lara Croft and the development of this reboot. Covering everything from the redesign of the character to the processes went through in order to make her a more believable heroine, Horton was clearly proud of what he and his team had created. Following the talk Horton was open to questions from the floor, and the inevitable suggestion of a sequel didn’t take too long to come around.

“We’ve announced the sequel… I’m glad I can finally talk about!” Stated Horton. “The Tomb Raider sequel is the next chapter of [Lara’s] development… her life is changing. She can’t go back to the way she was.”

Horton stated that the team at Crystal Dynamics had worked hard to create techniques and tools that would exist beyond a single videogame, notably stating the development of TressFX with AMD. Horton keenly stated that TressFX was still being worked on and that it was most certainly a ‘next-gen’ technology. Of course, Tomb Raider was infamous suggested to be a disappointment for Square Enix despite remarkable sales, and so when Horton was pressed about the budget for the sequel he was noticeably uncomfortable.

“We don’t talk about our budgets… it’s a well financed game,” stated Horton before admitting: “We’re not spending any more on a sequel than on the original game.”

No release date, platforms or plot details have yet been revealed for the next title in the Tomb Raider franchise, though Horton’s willingness to discuss the project suggest that it is further in development than many might expect. Electronic Theatre (http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/) will keep you updated with all the latest details on the Tomb Raider videogame franchise.Source (http://electronictheatre.co.uk/pc/pc-news/43392/tomb-raider-sequel-next-chapter-laras-development)

Jurre
20th Nov 2013, 15:38
"Next chapter of Lara’s development"... uh... figures. What, did anyone think it was gonna be about the life story of her goldfish?

Sorry, that's the cynical me coming out. Thank you very much for sharing, Shaikh.

pirate1802
20th Nov 2013, 15:44
Nice, keep her character evolving. That was the core attraction of the first game for me.

Shaikh
20th Nov 2013, 15:46
"Next chapter of Lara’s development"... uh... figures. What, did anyone think it was gonna be about the life story of her goldfish?

:p

Sorry, that's the cynical me coming out. Thank you very much for sharing, Shaikh.
The pleasure was all mine. :D

VaBanes
20th Nov 2013, 15:51

I guess he said that because some people might think TR9 was just a prequel and the further games will be like the old ones with a fully evolved Lara Croft or sth like that. ^^

pirate1802
20th Nov 2013, 16:12
I guess he said that because some people might think TR9 was just a prequel and the further games will be like the old ones with a fully evolved Lara Croft or sth like that. ^^

Good god, hopefully they won't do anything like that..

Metalrocks
20th Nov 2013, 16:35
good. if they would make her just like the older lara in the sequel, it would be really awkward and way to fast. rather take it slowly.

VaBanes
20th Nov 2013, 16:53
I'm wondering about the budget. It kinda sounds like it is "bad". Hope this doesn't affect the game in a negative way.
But I like the fact that it seems to be further in development than many might expect. ^^ Maybe we will already see a short teaser-trailer at the VGX? :D

Jurre
20th Nov 2013, 16:54
Bwah... It could be that the journalist was just trying to make it sound more dramatic than it was...

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 17:23
The budget can be just 'enough' to produce the sequel...and hope the profits later will be more than good enough for keep on working to next and next games...

I don't wanna think it's bad ... please don't make me think it's bad :(

pirate1802
20th Nov 2013, 17:37
Its not bad even if the budget allotted for the sequel is less than the original. They'd have had to set up a lot of things for the first time, develop new engine, tech etc, think up the whole story arc and stuff. None of them is required to be done for the sequel. So makes sense fo the sequel budget to be less than the first one's. It is why you see in most franchises the first game takes the longest to develop and then sequels come up like baby rabbits.

Jurre
20th Nov 2013, 17:39
Yes indeed, with that in mind an equal budget may even be very plentiful...

Rai
20th Nov 2013, 17:57
This is pretty much what I was expecting/hoping for. It would seem such a disconnect to go from TR'13 Lara to how she was before in the Core games. Which is what I think a few people are expecting: that they've tolerated TR'13 Lara as it's an origin, but now it's time to get back to being bad ass. Thing is, TR'13 Lara is already bad ass! :p

Looking forward to hearing more.

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 18:17
This silence of CD makes me sad :( ... hope everything it's going to be ok and they aren't really having that kind of problems ...

Rai
20th Nov 2013, 18:20
^Who said they're having problems? :confused:

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 18:29
^Who said they're having problems? :confused:

Nope ...I was just hoping that they don't have budget problems ...didn't say they have that probl... :):)

Rai
20th Nov 2013, 18:43
Nope ...I was just hoping that they don't have budget problems ...didn't say they have that probl... :):)

Ah, maybe it's just the way you phrased what you said then. It seemed lie you thought they have problems.

MissBrandy
20th Nov 2013, 18:46
Ah, maybe it's just the way you phrased what you said then. It seemed lie you thought they have problems.

My 'basic' english :lol:

Metalrocks
21st Nov 2013, 06:01
well, as long SE doesnt go all cry baby again like a spoiled 8 year old, expecting that it should sell this amount they have expected (was it 5 mill?), we should be fine that CD still can do something beautiful as they did before. especially since they intend to use the tress fx, which i think they try to use now for the next gen consoles. but the pc will win again in this field :D

BridgetFisher
21st Nov 2013, 08:27
Is she going to have dual pistols and be a tomb raider in this one? Or is it more origin story? Just wondering because as a fan I really dont care about this origin stuff, that should be like backstory, I want to be an adventurer so skipping TR10 until we get some kind of confirmation she is back to being a Tomb Raider. That backstory stuff could be done in journals, videos, or something. Although it would be fun having missions from like Lara croft being a teen going on adventures like the cartoon did with her gunning down anything in her way, that was fun. the game should be fun :P

Horton said that lara has changed and they cant go back there, good I dont wanna be stuck running around with a bow again not being an adventurer. I felt jipped personally.

Jurre
21st Nov 2013, 08:59
Is she going to have dual pistols and be a tomb raider in this one? Or is it more origin story?
I am 99% sure that she will have dual pistols and that it is origin story part 2.

pirate1802
21st Nov 2013, 09:01
Dual pistols are overrated. Bows ftw!

There, I said it :D *hides behind a large flameshield*

Jurre
21st Nov 2013, 09:04
Hey! Double the gun is double the fun! :)

Driber
21st Nov 2013, 09:30
Dual pistols are overrated. Bows ftw!

There, I said it :D *hides behind a large flameshield*

No need to choose, we can have both :)

*Burns pirate and his itty bitty shield to a crisp anyway* :p

pirate1802
21st Nov 2013, 10:07
B..b..but it was an expensive shield! D:

Seriously though, yes we can have and we will most probably have both but I somehow can't get excited to see the dual pistols, probably because the nostalgia of a longterm fan is missing in me. And gameplaywise, without autoaim I can't see them being much interesting, just two pistols instead of one so.. higher firing rate? It would be brilliant if they somehow manage to have the two guns aim separately (which is the point of using two guns afterall) while still maintaining free aim. That would be awesome and make it distinct from other games using dual wielding but currently I'm drawing a blank. I can see separate aiming in special modes like a concentration mode or something where Lara's position is static and the two analog sticks are used to control the two guns but in normal gameplay, can't. Thing with the bow was, it was more fun to use than other bow-oriented games. So unless they make the dual pistols similarly fun to use, I'd be bowing out again. :p

Jurre
21st Nov 2013, 10:16
Two weapons aiming separately is usually not the best option in my opinion... But two guns aiming at the same point is of course a little different than one gun: double the amount of bullets in the magazines, and double the firepower. Also twice as much reloading time of course...

In Hitman Absolution the player has the choice between a single gun, used mostly for precision shots, and dual action. In dual action the player can keep the trigger pushed down and agent 47 will keep firing untill he needs to reload. So the two pistols act as an automatic weapon together.

Honestly I do look forward to the twin guns, because I do have some nostalgia as a middle-long fan, and because I just love dual action :) Boring single pistols are for boring single people like Nathan D... oh, snap

Metalrocks
22nd Nov 2013, 07:30
loved that you can finally aim at different targets in underworld. but i have to agree that the bow was sure more fun then the pistol. i hardly used it in TR9 because the bow was more then enough and later on the MP and shotgun were more useful against the horde of enemies.
i can understand that many people want the dual guns back but its not really realistic to wield 2 guns like she does in previous titles (and the "its a game, doesnt have to be realistic" comment will not work on me. haha :p ).
anyway, if its back, i wont have a problem. as long we have the choice to select if we want 1 or 2 pistols, thats more then fine.

pirate1802
22nd Nov 2013, 07:45
yeah, I like to use one pistol rather than two. Sam Fisher has taught me that a guy (or gal) holding a pistol in the right way can look incredibly sexy. :p

Metalrocks
22nd Nov 2013, 07:58
yeah, I like to use one pistol rather than two. Sam Fisher has taught me that a guy (or gal) holding a pistol in the right way can look incredibly sexy. :p

lol, if you say so.
was it in blacklist or in part 4 or 5? havent played them.
unless lara puts on a double D bra as in "machete kills" what a crazy movie. :nut:

pirate1802
22nd Nov 2013, 08:12
lol, if you say so.
was it in blacklist or in part 4 or 5? havent played them.
unless lara puts on a double D bra as in "machete kills" what a crazy movie. :nut:

No I meant I find the image of a man (or woman) stylishly holding the pistol just below his eyes or on his side. Or like this:

http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/beautybecks/3916331/6993/6993_900.jpg

http://splashpage.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/splash/2013/09/GCentral_Renee.jpg

I don't know how to describe it better lol. Much better that holding two pistols at each arm pointing in opposite directions. That is why i'd just have Lara pull out her pistol and watch, but to my disappointment she'd put it back after a while :( I guess in my mind NewLara is stuck being a precise huntress rather than the badass gunslinger OldLara was. That's why I'd very much want a choice between 1 and 2 pistols. Is there a wish like this in the wishlist yet? Might add it if it isn't. :p

Metalrocks
22nd Nov 2013, 08:18
sounds like an option. and i dont think its in the wishlist. so you can post it and i will add it later on. ;)

Driber
22nd Nov 2013, 10:46
B..b..but it was an expensive shield! D:

Seriously though, yes we can have and we will most probably have both but I somehow can't get excited to see the dual pistols, probably because the nostalgia of a longterm fan is missing in me.

That's probably it, yeah.

And gameplaywise, without autoaim I can't see them being much interesting,

There is auto aim in TR9 when you dodge an enemy's close attack.

just two pistols instead of one so.. higher firing rate?

That, plus it just looks bad-ass :D

It would be brilliant if they somehow manage to have the two guns aim separately (which is the point of using two guns afterall) while still maintaining free aim.

While I disagree with you that "that is the point of using two guns, after all", it would be an interesting concept to see Lara firing at two different enemies at the same time :)

That would be awesome and make it distinct from other games using dual wielding but currently I'm drawing a blank. I can see separate aiming in special modes like a concentration mode or something where Lara's position is static and the two analog sticks are used to control the two guns but in normal gameplay, can't.

Interesting ideas!

How about combining those and have Lara be static in a super slow motion move a la TRL where she has to fire at two enemies with the guns while controlling said guns with left and right analogue stick. Dayum...

Thing with the bow was, it was more fun to use than other bow-oriented games. So unless they make the dual pistols similarly fun to use, I'd be bowing out again. :p

That's okay, dual guns won't stop your bowing-fun, heh.

I think the bow is damn cool, too, and I loved the stealth head shots in TR9 from a distance :naughty:

But more fun is always better :D

Two weapons aiming separately is usually not the best option in my opinion...

Are you implying that you have played other games which already implemented what Pirate suggested?

But two guns aiming at the same point is of course a little different than one gun: double the amount of bullets in the magazines, and double the firepower. Also twice as much reloading time of course...

Not necessarily. Lara is capable of replacing her dual gun magazine clips at the same time, so reloading time can stay the same as with a single gun.

pKQOmIRFdW8&start=107

i can understand that many people want the dual guns back but its not really realistic to wield 2 guns like she does in previous titles

There's nothing unrealistic about dual wielding.

And the feats Lara pulls off with the bow in TR9 is more unrealistic than dual wielding.

So there :rasp:

No I meant I find the image of a man (or woman) stylishly holding the pistol just below his eyes or on his side. Or like this:

width='200'

width='200'

Psshhhh, you call that sexy? Please.

Watch the entire video of Lara kicking ass with her dual guns in my response to Jurre above. Now that is sexy :naughty:

BridgetFisher
22nd Nov 2013, 11:19
I hope they get rid of that dumb bow, she has two guns, how about using them :P this is 2013 and that game may not get made until what 2014 it looks like since SE will be pushing them to rush the game out to get some moneh. They should bury that bow because that was a horrible idea, sure its unique, its unique cuz noone liked it :P just like that shaky camera... I could post more about the shaky camera at length and in detail if so desired xD

I hope it has two guns and tombs, I hope its a tomb raider game, not more origin story, if its just another origin game missing everything from tomb raider Im going to pass.

Haha yea right Ill buy it, but I bet most people wont just like last time if its not a real tomb raider game.

VaBanes
22nd Nov 2013, 12:49
They should bury that bow because that was a horrible idea, sure its unique, its unique cuz noone liked it :P just like that shaky camera... I could post more about the shaky camera at length and in detail if so desired xD

Yeah, tell us more about your excellent skills as a director and cinematographer! :)

dark7angel
22nd Nov 2013, 13:11
@BridgetFisher: Again, I have to ask you: where did you get the idea that no one liked the bow??? It's something you've stated before and me and others have asked you about it but you didn't answer...

As far as I can tell, most people actually liked the bow and enjoyed using it a lot! Sounds to me you're doing a huge generalization based on your personal opinion.

Driber
22nd Nov 2013, 13:30
I hope they get rid of that dumb bow, she has two guns, how about using them :P this is 2013 and that game may not get made until what 2014 it looks like since SE will be pushing them to rush the game out to get some moneh. They should bury that bow because that was a horrible idea, sure its unique, its unique cuz noone liked it :P just like that shaky camera... I could post more about the shaky camera at length and in detail if so desired xD

I hope it has two guns and tombs, I hope its a tomb raider game, not more origin story, if its just another origin game missing everything from tomb raider Im going to pass.

Haha yea right Ill buy it, but I bet most people wont just like last time if its not a real tomb raider game.

There's no such thing as a "real" TR game. What makes TR, TR is highly subjective and can greatly vary from person to person.

As for the bow and shaky cam supposedly being hated by most players - I think you've got that backwards ;)

a_big_house
22nd Nov 2013, 13:34
Bow > Crossbow
Pistol > Dual Pistols
Lara Upgrade Complete
:D

Driber
22nd Nov 2013, 13:38
Blegh, no crossbow.

The regular bow is way better for stealth kill goodness :cool:

pirate1802
22nd Nov 2013, 13:56
yeah, crossbows are crap. :|

a_big_house
22nd Nov 2013, 14:58
WHATEVS! I DO WAT I WUNT INIT! :D

Driber
22nd Nov 2013, 15:30
Shu up, ya

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/content/images/2007/09/17/mattlucas6_396x222.jpg

Metalrocks
23rd Nov 2013, 01:09
whats wrong with the crossbow? still stealthy and if its a modern one, you can have a mag in it. i like it in shadow harvest and in half life.

@driber
i had handgun training. and wielding 2 guns is really not that simple as it looks. even my instructor, who trains police and military forces, said that its not possible to aim properly at something (but i guess you and many others know that already).
thats what i generally meant by not too realistic. its of course possible to hold 2 guns but firing them is a different thing.

and yes, what lara does with the bow is not 100% realistic either. there were few moments i had to chuckle a bit :D

pirate1802
23rd Nov 2013, 03:22
Nothing wrong, its just that a crossbow doesn't feel that different than a gun. Think about it, as you said.. it can have mags, firing through a trigger etc. A bow feels different. You have to hold the trigger button to pull back the arrow and you can cancel the shots too. Something very different than conventional guns. A crossbow would just look like a gun shooting arrows. :/

Metalrocks
23rd Nov 2013, 04:47
i see your meaning. if CD decides to put in a crossbow, it can have its useful purpose like eliminating 2 or 3 enemies faster which a bow cant do.
but i personally also prefer a bow. had really lots of fun with it. :D

VaBanes
23rd Nov 2013, 11:18
A crossbow is more of a manly weapon. A woman uses a bow.
I approve this! And black people use machine guns, gays use assult rifles, hobbits use sniper rifles, elephants use tanks and cats use nuclear bombs.

pirate1802
23rd Nov 2013, 11:34
Well I think the bow is a more "graceful" weapon, if that makes any sense.

Driber
23rd Nov 2013, 11:48
whats wrong with the crossbow? still stealthy and if its a modern one, you can have a mag in it. i like it in shadow harvest and in half life.

Nothing wrong with a crossbow, but as Pirate mentioned, it's more like an automatic weapon than a hand weapon. It's not as satisfying killing people with crossbows as it is with bows. At least for me, heh.

@driber
i had handgun training. and wielding 2 guns is really not that simple as it looks. even my instructor, who trains police and military forces, said that its not possible to aim properly at something (but i guess you and many others know that already).
thats what i generally meant by not too realistic. its of course possible to hold 2 guns but firing them is a different thing.

I didn't say that dual wielding is easy, I said it's not unrealistic. There's a difference ;)

and yes, what lara does with the bow is not 100% realistic either. there were few moments i had to chuckle a bit :D

Glad you agree. Then we can put this "unrealistic" argumentation aside in the debate on single vs dual guns :p

Nothing wrong, its just that a crossbow doesn't feel that different than a gun. Think about it, as you said.. it can have mags, firing through a trigger etc. A bow feels different. You have to hold the trigger button to pull back the arrow and you can cancel the shots too. Something very different than conventional guns. A crossbow would just look like a gun shooting arrows. :/

I don't see the "cancelling the shot" with a bow as an advantage over a crossbow. You can also start to aim with a crossbow with the intention to kill someone and then deciding not to pull the trigger after all and putting the crossbow down again.

Same thing with a hand gun. You can u.n.c.o.c.k it if you decide you don't want to take the shot after all.

i see your meaning. if CD decides to put in a crossbow, it can have its useful purpose like eliminating 2 or 3 enemies faster which a bow cant do.

I had no problem mowing enemies down with the bow :D

I approve this! And black people use machine guns, gays use assult rifles, hobbits use sniper rifles, elephants use tanks and cats use nuclear bombs.

Oh snap :lol:

Well I think the bow is a more "graceful" weapon, if that makes any sense.

That's it, yeah. While I completely disagree with xzx's stereotyping comment, it does bring up a good point - bows are more elegant weapons than crossbows. So that probably plays a large role in the appeal of that weapon.

pirate1802
23rd Nov 2013, 12:05
No advantage probably, but it sure makes it 'feel' different than a normal gun. like you actually have a bow in your hands instead of a reskinned gun. One of the reason I loved the bow. It actually felt like a bow, unlike bows in some other games.

Metalrocks
25th Nov 2013, 04:06
@driber
i had no problem moving enemies down with the bow either.

what i was trying to say is, when you try to be stealthy and you have 2 or 3 enemies close together, they will be alarmed when you shoot one down because they see it. like this section were you have 3 guys (the one lara slides down and get called by sam over the radio that she is scared). one was close to the edge wile the other 2 were talking with each other. you can kill the one at the edge easily but the other cant be kill quietly because they face each other. by the time lara has her arrow ready to aim, he can go behind cover and shoot back.

pirate1802
25th Nov 2013, 05:42
^I could kill both of em silently by distracting them O.o

TalRaider
25th Nov 2013, 09:19
We all need to trust what crystal is doing...
The next game is going to be awsome I can feel it!
It could be very cool to see Amanda and Lara origin story in the next game!
*Sorry about my English*

Jurre
25th Nov 2013, 09:27
Hmmm... What would Amanda be like in the reboot universe?

I would make her an astronaut :D

Driber
25th Nov 2013, 10:42
@driber
i had no problem moving enemies down with the bow either.

what i was trying to say is, when you try to be stealthy and you have 2 or 3 enemies close together, they will be alarmed when you shoot one down because they see it. like this section were you have 3 guys (the one lara slides down and get called by sam over the radio that she is scared). one was close to the edge wile the other 2 were talking with each other. you can kill the one at the edge easily but the other cant be kill quietly because they face each other. by the time lara has her arrow ready to aim, he can go behind cover and shoot back.

And how is a crossbow going to help you there, exactly? You'd still have to re-aim onto the other 2 guys to kill them, same thing with a regular bow.

Unless you're trying to say that you would like to "go in guns blazing", in which case you could just simply use the machine gun. You don't need a crossbow for that.

And yeah, like Pirate said, if you've got 2 enemies that are talking to each other and you want to stealth kill them both, all you need to do is shoot an arrow somewhere behind them and one of them will go check out what the commotion is, then you shoot that guy once he's away from the other guy so that said guy won't notice you killed him. Then you off the last guy to collect your Solid Snake Trophy :D

pirate1802
25th Nov 2013, 10:46
yeah and put the silencer on a rifle and you have exactly the same thing :p

Metalrocks
25th Nov 2013, 13:58
And how is a crossbow going to help you there, exactly? You'd still have to re-aim onto the other 2 guys to kill them, same thing with a regular bow.

Unless you're trying to say that you would like to "go in guns blazing", in which case you could just simply use the machine gun. You don't need a crossbow for that.

And yeah, like Pirate said, if you've got 2 enemies that are talking to each other and you want to stealth kill them both, all you need to do is shoot an arrow somewhere behind them and one of them will go check out what the commotion is, then you shoot that guy once he's away from the other guy so that said guy won't notice you killed him. Then you off the last guy to collect your Solid Snake Trophy :D

i never said killing 3 guys at once or coming in gun blazing. and the machine gun makes obviously to much noise and dont have a silencer at this stage to attache to the rifle. at least i dont have enough resources at that stage. so a crossbow would be nice there.
killing that guy at the edge is easy because no one looks there. and this re aiming is not hard. just a quick aim to the other side works just fine. worked pretty well for me in shadow harvest since you have 3 bolts and you can shoot them quickly by just pressing the trigger.

maybe im just really ok with the crossbow because of this game. it was the main weapon of the second character who is only used for stealth.
jrhfgb_show-gamepix,28028.jpeg.jpg
it was really cool to use it.

and i did shoot an arrow to distract one of them (at several locations), but the guy who checked it out (his back clearly turned towards his friend and was good several meters away) still realized immediately i shot his friend behind him and yells out "there she is" and shoots in my direction.
i know how to be stealthy and what to do. just this distraction stuff doesnt seam to work for me in TR but works pretty well in splinter cell and DE:HR.

Jurre
25th Nov 2013, 14:41
I could talk for an hour about the crossbow in medieval times and what impact it had on the relationship between the peasants and the nobility, but I guess you all are about as interested in that as I am in who Justin Biebers new boyfriend is or what Lady Gaga was wearing during the latest rich people party... So I just have to resist that urge... :)

Let's just say that I wouldn't mind a crossbow in TR10 (or what about a spear gun?) but she might as well stick to the bow and maybe they can even think up one more way to use it creatively besides adding fire, rope and explosives?

pirate1802
25th Nov 2013, 15:05
You must use that abomination called survival instinct and shoot the guys when they are flashing white. then they won't turn around. Or even if they would, they won't notice you.

Driber
25th Nov 2013, 15:10
No one is interested in that, no. If you'd like to talk about the latest person or object that has been moistened by the tongue of former Hanna Montana, though...

i never said killing 3 guys at once or coming in gun blazing. and the machine gun makes obviously to much noise and dont have a silencer at this stage to attache to the rifle. at least i dont have enough resources at that stage. so a crossbow would be nice there.
killing that guy at the edge is easy because no one looks there. and this re aiming is not hard. just a quick aim to the other side works just fine. worked pretty well for me in shadow harvest since you have 3 bolts and you can shoot them quickly by just pressing the trigger.

maybe im just really ok with the crossbow because of this game. it was the main weapon of the second character who is only used for stealth.
jrhfgb_show-gamepix,28028.jpeg.jpg
it was really cool to use it.

and i did shoot an arrow to distract one of them (at several locations), but the guy who checked it out (his back clearly turned towards his friend and was good several meters away) still realized immediately i shot his friend behind him and yells out "there she is" and shoots in my direction.
i know how to be stealthy and what to do. just this distraction stuff doesnt seam to work for me in TR but works pretty well in splinter cell and DE:HR.

It was Pirate who mentioned silencers on rifles, not me, so I'll leave that part aside, but as for stealth not working for you - I guess you either did it wrong or it was programmed differently at that specific location you are referring to than how it was in other areas. I was successful many times with distracting one of the guards and then taking him out, to get around the problem of the guards alerting each other.

And the "no resources" argument I don't get, either. Just like you can run out of machine gun clips, so can you run out of arrows. So I'm not really sure what your point is there :scratch:

Yes, re-aiming is easy, and my point was that it seems to me that whether you re-aim with a bow or re-aim with a crossbow, it's exactly the same thing. So again, I fail to see why a crossbow would be an advantage in that regard.

I haven't played that game you're referencing, so I can't comment on it, so let's use TR4 as an example - I assume you've played that game by now? In TR4, Lara had a crossbow, and she could fire approx 1 arrow per second. That's about the same firing rate as Lara can do with a regular bow in TR9. So if we use those 2 as examples, I don't see what the advantage a crossbow would have over a regular bow... other than personal taste, that is :)

Metalrocks
25th Nov 2013, 17:13
No one is interested in that, no. If you'd like to talk about the latest person or object that has been moistened by the tongue of former Hanna Montana, though...

It was Pirate who mentioned silencers on rifles, not me, so I'll leave that part aside, but as for stealth not working for you - I guess you either did it wrong or it was programmed differently at that specific location you are referring to than how it was in other areas. I was successful many times with distracting one of the guards and then taking him out, to get around the problem of the guards alerting each other.

And the "no resources" argument I don't get, either. Just like you can run out of machine gun clips, so can you run out of arrows. So I'm not really sure what your point is there :scratch:

Yes, re-aiming is easy, and my point was that it seems to me that whether you re-aim with a bow or re-aim with a crossbow, it's exactly the same thing. So again, I fail to see why a crossbow would be an advantage in that regard.

I haven't played that game you're referencing, so I can't comment on it, so let's use TR4 as an example - I assume you've played that game by now? In TR4, Lara had a crossbow, and she could fire approx 1 arrow per second. That's about the same firing rate as Lara can do with a regular bow in TR9. So if we use those 2 as examples, I don't see what the advantage a crossbow would have over a regular bow... other than personal taste, that is :)

yes, that was actually directed to pirate. should have made it clearer. my bad.

with the resources was more or less referring to the silencer part as well. because you can upgrade your rifle and add later on a silencer. just you will have enough resources much later on in the game to actually attach a silencer. and at this place (if my memory is serves me right) you dont have enough.

now to the crossbow bit.
but first; no i havent played TR4 or any TR title from core made TR games since the controls are still horrible to play on pc and no, i will not a controller for it either.

anyway, i see that you think of always reloading one bolt at a time or pulling back the string as in half life 1.
now look at the crossbow in that pic i have posted. you will clearly see that she has 3 strings. so she can fire 3 bolts quickly without pulling a string back or inserting a bolt. which means faster shooting. ;)
you see now what i mean?

oh and you should play this game. its not perfect and has is issues like some performance problems but its unforgettable, has a really good story and a surprising ending.
here a trailer (oddly the only trailer that shows both characters and not really the official one that showed both equally):
AehEWwuKEws

available on steam and its only available on pc.
sure it doesnt look great but you have to consider that its black lions very first game and they dint had a huge budget.

Driber
25th Nov 2013, 19:32
now to the crossbow bit.
but first; no i havent played TR4 or any TR title from core made TR games since the controls are still horrible to play on pc and no, i will not a controller for it either.

Not that it matters in this discussion, but the controls are actually better with a keyboard than with a controller.

And geez, you could've just said "no" without throwing the games under the bus...

anyway, i see that you think of always reloading one bolt at a time or pulling back the string as in half life 1.
now look at the crossbow in that pic i have posted. you will clearly see that she has 3 strings. so she can fire 3 bolts quickly without pulling a string back or inserting a bolt. which means faster shooting. ;)
you see now what i mean?

lol, I already understood what you meant many posts ago.

What I am trying to tell you is that it doesn't matter how fast the crossbow is, because you still need to take time to re-aim anyway. That's what I mean that crossbow or normal bow - it's all the same in the end if you're not looking to just aimlessly shoot into the wild (aka "going in guns blazing" (which, ironically, the narrator in the video you just posted said :D)).

Look, maybe a video will explain it better than just text:

3Pub1ri7mjs&start=340

See how Lara can take out 3 enemies quickly in a row with the normal bow, but not super-quickly, because she still needs time to re-aim the subsequent shots? It would be exactly the same if she had a crossbow in that situation. Even a fancy one with 3 arrows on stand-by.

pirate1802
25th Nov 2013, 19:35
And geez, you could've just said "no" without throwing the games under the bus...

LOL exactly what I was thinking.

Metalrocks
26th Nov 2013, 05:49
if i would have said just "no", then some or you will ask "why?". ;)

just to clarify, i never had trouble with killing lots of enemies with the bow either, even in that part you showed me in the video. but they still were able to alert the whole gang and thats what i would like to avoid when you try to be stealthy.
and you dont need much time to re aim. if you have good control over your weapon (which lara clearly has), re aiming is not necessary. but this works better if you are close to the enemy, which you can do at most parts in the game.
so going in gun blazing or not. what i want to avoid is alerting others nearby.

well, i guess we cleared this one up now. lets leave it at that and we will see what weapons we will have in the next game.

Metalrocks
26th Nov 2013, 09:05
You're going to kick me but this seems like an awfully lot of hype for a game that just basically just exploits a female anatomy. LOL

its called excitement. we want to know what happens to her. :p
but i do get your meaning. the next title could be a failure and everyone will be heartbroken.

Jurre
26th Nov 2013, 13:41
Hmmm... What would Amanda be like in the reboot universe?

I would make her an astronaut :D

Wait, I got a better idea: Amanda is the daughter of the leader of Trinity, and after his demise she'll become the new boss.

Come on, genious eh? :D

pirate1802
26th Nov 2013, 15:12
Metalrocks, my comment about silenced rifle was to show that such a scenario is possible without having crossbows, I didn't mean you can use silenced guns specifically at that point. :)

But even then, I think the silencer for pistol unlocks pretty early?

Metalrocks
26th Nov 2013, 15:53
Metalrocks, my comment about silenced rifle was to show that such a scenario is possible without having crossbows, I didn't mean you can use silenced guns specifically at that point. :)

But even then, I think the silencer for pistol unlocks pretty early?

i see. i clearly misunderstood you there. sorry.
with the pistol i have no idea since i practically never used it.

Driber
30th Nov 2013, 11:03
if i would have said just "no", then some or you will ask "why?". ;)

It seems you missed the point (or you're just trying to be funny :p). My point was that you don't have to throw the games under the bus just make a point. You can do it in a respectful manner.

just to clarify, i never had trouble with killing lots of enemies with the bow either, even in that part you showed me in the video. but they still were able to alert the whole gang and thats what i would like to avoid when you try to be stealthy.
and you dont need much time to re aim. if you have good control over your weapon (which lara clearly has), re aiming is not necessary. but this works better if you are close to the enemy, which you can do at most parts in the game.
so going in gun blazing or not. what i want to avoid is alerting others nearby.

Hmm, maybe we're not understanding each other because of terminology. By re-aiming I mean "to move the reticle from one target to another target". That is something inevitable and it *does* take time. Even more so when you're trying to do stealth kills via a *zoomed* weapon.

It's impossible to kill those baddies you speak of without any kind of re-aiming. Well, unless they magically all go stand on the exact same spot where the previous person was killed, like Lemmings :lol:

Anyway, you really don't need a crossbow to take prevent baddies from alerting each other. The regular bow will do just fine, because Lara has a remarkable fast firing rate. Unrealistic, even, I'd say. If you're unable to, then it's likely either due to the time it takes to re-aim or it's simply scripted that way and they *will* alert each other, no matter what.

That said, I'm not advocating *against* crossbows. Who knows... could be fun :)

Metalrocks
30th Nov 2013, 13:53
It seems you missed the point (or you're just trying to be funny :p). My point was that you don't have to throw the games under the bus just make a point. You can do it in a respectful manner.

i see. then i apologize that i sounded so negative. i was just being honest. i just care about controls, and if it has bad once, the game automatically looks very bad to me and im not afraid to hide it.
but the next time i make sure i will not sound that negative anymore.
so again, my apologies.

Hmm, maybe we're not understanding each other because of terminology. By re-aiming I mean "to move the reticle from one target to another target". That is something inevitable and it *does* take time. Even more so when you're trying to do stealth kills via a *zoomed* weapon.

It's impossible to kill those baddies you speak of without any kind of re-aiming. Well, unless they magically all go stand on the exact same spot where the previous person was killed, like Lemmings :lol:

Anyway, you really don't need a crossbow to take prevent baddies from alerting each other. The regular bow will do just fine, because Lara has a remarkable fast firing rate. Unrealistic, even, I'd say. If you're unable to, then it's likely either due to the time it takes to re-aim or it's simply scripted that way and they *will* alert each other, no matter what.

That said, I'm not advocating *against* crossbows. Who knows... could be fun :)

lol, i see what you mean now.
i dint really had this problem with aiming quickly and eliminating 2 targets if they are close by. at times i am so quick that the other guy has no time to react.
if they are far apart, then its obvious i have to re-aim.
at least playing with a mouse it was no problem. what i mostly did is aim at one target and move quickly to the other one without shooting. once i have this feeling, then i shoot them both quickly. of course it doesnt work every single time that the second bullets hits it target.
but i have to mention that i did this with pistols in SC or deus ex HR. the crossbow was then in shadow harvest.

and true, lara can get the next arrow ready very quickly. that is sure unrealistic.

ok,. i think we cleared this one up now.

Sam_kain
30th Nov 2013, 15:38
The anticipation for the next TR is pretty high, I am glad they are going to continue with the whole character development, it would be interesting to see what Lara goes through, cause in TR they went through alot, all sorts of things, I hope they can top that, and make a huge story.

Also the whole weapons thing will be interesting, I wouldn't mind having both the Bow and the Duel Pistols, the Bow was the perfect tool for stealth, though I hope they give us a knife/machete instead of the climbing axe. :D

Jurre
30th Nov 2013, 15:42
though I hope they give us a knife/machete instead of the climbing axe. :D

I am also for giving Lara a machete; it can be used to clear vines that hide the entrance to a cave, but no climbing axe? Don't you think it would be awesome to dual wield a machete and axe in melee combat?

Sam_kain
30th Nov 2013, 15:44
I am also for giving Lara a machete; it can be used to clear vines that hide the entrance to a cave, but no climbing axe? Don't you think it would be awesome to dual wield a machete and axe in melee combat?

Darn, that indeed would be cool :mad2:, truth be told I quite liked TR9 combat, I hope they give us more melee options, all the finishers were quite cool as well.

dark7angel
30th Nov 2013, 16:35

I am all for this!!! I loved the climbing axe and I hope it does return, but a machete with be pretty awesome as well!!! :cool:

VaBanes
30th Nov 2013, 16:53
I am all for this!!! I loved the climbing axe and I hope it does return, but a machete with be pretty awesome as well!!! :cool:

I think they should give her a combat knife rather than a machete additional to the climbing axe. The knife is smaller and I think it fits better for stealth and cutting ropes etc.
Using that axe for combat is possible but I think (in real life) a knife (or a machete) is much more usefull.
It would also look a bit strange if Lara is carrying so much huge objects with her.

Axe for climbing and knife for combat and stealth would be great, imo.

Metalrocks
30th Nov 2013, 16:57
lol, lara with a machete.
"this is the boss".
that would make some brutal finishing moves. lara chopping heads and other limbs off :nut: :p
might as well call it "machete the game featuring lara croft".

ok, to a serious not. yes, this would be an interesting tool and weapon. more exploration to find hidden tombs or treasures.

Jurre
30th Nov 2013, 17:54
I think they should give her a combat knife rather than a machete additional to the climbing axe. The knife is smaller and I think it fits better for stealth and cutting ropes etc.

A machete is also a tool; you know how in TR9 blockades could removed with a shotgun blast: I can picture how in a jungle enviroment she could use the machete to clear vegetation that blocks the entrance to a cave or tomb or some other passage.

lol, lara with a machete.
"this is the boss".
that would make some brutal finishing moves. lara chopping heads and other limbs off :nut: :p
might as well call it "machete the game featuring lara croft".

That would be one hell of a badass Lara :D Though despite the more mature tone of the game I think decapitations and dismemberments would go too far...

dark7angel
30th Nov 2013, 18:18
A machete is also a tool; you know how in TR9 blockades could removed with a shotgun blast: I can picture how in a jungle enviroment she could use the machete to clear vegetation that blocks the entrance to a cave or tomb or some other passage.

I would LOVE if they made something like this! In TR9 I did try to open my way through those bushes using fire but it wasn't meant to be... :nut:

Jurre
30th Nov 2013, 18:28
No that is were new boar and bunnies and other animals are spawned :)

dark7angel
30th Nov 2013, 19:12
No that is were new boar and bunnies and other animals are spawned :)

I know! But when I first played the game, my first thought was "A hidden path! I must burn the bushes!!!" :p

Rai
1st Dec 2013, 01:47
I thought they were hidden paths too at first. How cool would it be to have hidden paths like that and we have to figure out the best way to open them up. :D

pirate1802
1st Dec 2013, 03:49

I just mentally imagined that. Cap'n Kenway's moves but with a machete and an axe instead. Badassedness oveload

Metalrocks
1st Dec 2013, 04:33
discovering secret paths to avoid enemies or even shortcuts would make the machete a useful tool. and you get rewarded like in deus ex HR or in blacklist for exploring.

Woogiemush
9th Jan 2014, 16:09
Yes!

They wouldn't just show the dual pistols at the end of the game for NO reason.

Woogiemush
9th Jan 2014, 16:21

A lot of your statements are unfair... This game was a reboot, she didn't have dual pistols and an LED light. She was young and adventurous. She began with the bow because she needed something to protect herself with. You can't just find two pistols lay on the ground in the middle of a forest.

As for the "tomb" part of your little speech, she wasn't in tombs in TR9 because she wasn't a TOMB RAIDER yet. As I said it was a reboot and not a continuation from Tomb Raider: Underworld. :mad2:

XylophoneDealers
9th Jan 2014, 22:17
A lot of your statements are unfair... This game was a reboot, she didn't have dual pistols and an LED light. She was young and adventurous. She began with the bow because she needed something to protect herself with. You can't just find two pistols lay on the ground in the middle of a forest.

As for the "tomb" part of your little speech, she wasn't in tombs in TR9 because she wasn't a TOMB RAIDER yet. As I said it was a reboot and not a continuation from Tomb Raider: Underworld. :mad2:

I can understand Bridget's frustration for someone who didn't like the idea of the reboot, and of course I respect her opinion - but personally I loved the bow, would love to see it return (along with the dual pistols) and yes, she has to raid some tombs, but we saw how solely raiding tombs with guns went for Lara before :/

And as for the shaky camera, I loved it. I can understand if someone maybe felt somewhat nauseous but I certainly didn't.