PDA

View Full Version : Two years and a directors cut later

Diceyy
20th Nov 2013, 10:20
And the tranquilizer rifle STILL kills people for no reason :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Alarikun
20th Nov 2013, 15:15
Unfortunately, one cannot predict 100% how the human body will react to a dose of tranquilizer. Often, they have an allergic reaction that ultimately kills them.

CyberP
20th Nov 2013, 15:42
Unfortunately, one cannot predict 100% how the human body will react to a dose of tranquilizer. Often, they have an allergic reaction that ultimately kills them.

:thumb:

Ultimately though, gameplay is much more important than realism, and people's stealth playthroughs being screwed over by such behaviour is not good.

Also, it's a tranq rifle from 2027, so the tranquilizer solution could be risk-free by then? :)

That's the great thing about simulation design for Deus Ex and System Shock et al: great game mechanic that is a little questionable? Can usually be explained away convincingly by future tech.

Alarikun
20th Nov 2013, 15:47
:thumb:

Ultimately though, gameplay is much more important than realism, and people's stealth playthroughs being screwed over by such behaviour is not good.

Also, it's a tranq rifle from 2027, so the tranquilizer solution could be risk-free by then? :)

That's the great thing about simulation design for Deus Ex and System Shock et al: great game mechanic that is a little questionable? Can usually be explained away convincingly by future tech.

Yup, it's a horrible glitch. Thankfully haven't gone through for a Pacifist playthrough yet... and until this is fixed, I might not bother.

Spyhopping
20th Nov 2013, 18:29
Games have never been about trophies or achievements for me, so I'm quite happy to tally this up as a little dose of positive realism, even if it is a glitch. Someone tumbling down after being knocked out by a tranq dart could quite easily crack their head open too.

Whilst we're talking about realism in terms of the tranq rifle, I never understood why people couldn't detect the darts going into them when they were hit in HR. In DX, the wild running was occasionally quite funny, but more of a realistic reaction to having a dart hit you in the butt than just continuing to casually stroll around.

Spades
21st Nov 2013, 02:53

:rolleyes:

BridgetFisher
21st Nov 2013, 11:29
Games have never been about trophies or achievements for me, so I'm quite happy to tally this up as a little dose of positive realism, even if it is a glitch. Someone tumbling down after being knocked out by a tranq dart could quite easily crack their head open too.

Whilst we're talking about realism in terms of the tranq rifle, I never understood why people couldn't detect the darts going into them when they were hit in HR. In DX, the wild running was occasionally quite funny, but more of a realistic reaction to having a dart hit you in the butt than just continuing to casually stroll around.

Ha totally agree!
Is it to late to add more of them wildly running around before collapsing? Like their on fire? because that is how people would react, its realistic, but more importantly also fun!

As gamers we all have that one friend who is a nutso achevo hunter, those people will be going nuts :P
Although its a small group of people who play for achevos, Id like everyone who plays Deus Ex too be happy about their experience and not mad, its such a fun game! I like chuckin boxes at people, it would be nice to see them get mad at the box and like shoot it or stomp it.

vb4
11th Dec 2013, 13:48

How can you make that comment with a straight face, while talking about a game where no one cares if you murder the entire Detroit Police Department?

JCpies
11th Dec 2013, 21:24
Yes, but nobody murdered the entire Detroit PD.

At least not any of us here.

Or maybe someone did...

CyberP
11th Dec 2013, 21:35
Yes, but nobody murdered the entire Detroit PD.

At least not any of us here.

Or maybe someone did...

I shoot em up every time. One highlight of the game for me, since the shooting is one of HR's finer aspects (as opposed to it's absolutely ****ty stealth).

But the game has simulation/realism in mind somewhat, so Spy can keep that straight face. There will always be oversights in any game, though this one is a pretty darn big one, i'll give you that vb4....aside from the newspaper report on it, there's that at least.
original Deus Ex was the same. The first half of the game may be highly reactive to the player but they failed to maintain such a high level of reactivity so much for the second half (though it's still adequate). Though HR is not on DX's level of reactivity at all mind you, but there was still some effort there.