PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 4 for DX Universe

Lucifer
30th Oct 2013, 10:55
So I watched UE 4 on youtube and doesnt look so bad .Its powerful tool ,real time lighitng and refelction.Eidos An SE you have rights for UE4 so you can use for DX Universe.We are all waiting for announcement .Crystal dynamics from HR is outdated and any improvments wont help.I vote for UE4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxFxfpNhvbY
-PsyXx6rkGg
kYPX-RQjm3U

Smoke43
30th Oct 2013, 15:16
From what i heard Unreal Engine 4 is still in testing any games released with the current version of Unreal Engine 4 will maybe be buggy. Well Square enix has license but not access to the engine But Thief 4 uses Unreal Engine 3 maybe they can start there. Or they use the Cryengine 3 which for me is a amazing engine maybe better than unreal. Cryengine is mod friendly also

Lucifer
30th Oct 2013, 16:03
How they can get CryEngine 3?Its German game engine.

Tverdyj
30th Oct 2013, 16:52

They can buy a license to use if from Crytek.

That being said (and i'm basically tossing out ideas here), didn't IO (the guys behind Hitman) write their own engine? any clue on how that handles?

CyberP
30th Oct 2013, 17:02
DX4 has been in development for a while now, decision of engine would be finalized. You're too late.
Hmm, you did say "Deus Ex: Universe" though, however I'm not sure why you are looking forward to a collective of spin offs, merchandise and what not.

Tverdyj
30th Oct 2013, 17:11
DX4 has been in development for a while now, decision of engine would be finalized. You're too late.
Hmm, you did say "Deus Ex: Universe" though, however I'm not sure why you are looking forward to a collective of spin offs, merchandise and what not.

do we actually know which engine they are using?

CyberP
30th Oct 2013, 17:12
No. UED4 is a likely candidate though, but we'll have to wait and see. I hope they stay on Crystal, an engine they are familiar with and assets already in place that could be recycled, to an acceptable degree. Design trumps all, DX1 shows this.

Lucifer
30th Oct 2013, 18:59

I hope and pray that is UE4 not Crystal.What I've seen In HR that's enough.The words "Next Generation" smells its gonna be UE4.

Smoke43
30th Oct 2013, 20:15
They can buy a license to use if from Crytek.

That being said (and i'm basically tossing out ideas here), didn't IO (the guys behind Hitman) write their own engine? any clue on how that handles?

Well the name of the engine is Glacier 2 which is worst than Crystal Dynamics engine. Crystal Dynamics engine used file compression for the files the same as Glacier 2 from what i seem Glacier 2 engine is based on the Crystal Dynamics engine. Unreal Engine 4 or Cryengine 4 (which is development ) Should be a good candidate. They can also use the Final Fantasy XV engine which seems amazing from videos and in inhouse engine.

Jet v4.3.5
30th Oct 2013, 21:16
I have a bit of a bias towards the Unreal Engine. I've been playing and modding games built on at least two versions of the engine, so that's probably why.

Now one of my biggest disappointments -and please correct me if I seem misinformed- is that many innovative large-scale titles have neglected to include a developer kit of some sort with their games for modders to use.

One issue I've heard thrown around is the need for the development team to fine-tune any included dev. kit, which takes time and ultimately money to do. I have also heard some people refer to the oft misunderstood notion that having a development kit means that users can change the entire game via the source code and in turn opens up a venue for pirates to copy not only their game but the technology behind them.

Since its first iteration, however, Unreal Engine and the included Unreal Editor (the only major tools included with the moddable games using it), there has been a separation between the engine source code and the game code. For instance, the player character's in-engine entity has a special sort of source code (UScript in Unreal Engines 1-3) where the functions of the character are defined in relation to the interpreter of the engine. Anything, from weapons to enemies to specialized event objects can be created outside of the game's base source code, allowing for a high degree of creative freedom without surrendering any of the gutsy code that the whole game relies on.

I have heard that some engines have their engine code and their game object code closely intertwined. In the old Dark Engine for System Shock 2 and the first two Thief games, AI behavior was a component of the engine code. However, in engines like the Unreal Engine, these tend to sit inside game code exclusively, but communicate with a custom set of AI libraries complied into the engine. The most important calls can be controlled within the open game code, but the closed engine code is still inaccessible. In all of the Thief games, Light and Shadow systems were a part of the engine. Undoubtedly it will be no different in the new Thief game. On the other hand, if you wanted to make a new AI type, or build new mechanics that utilize the detection functionality in a new way, you could still do this, and the engine source code of which it is composed would again remain under-the-hood.

Now I haven't addressed the issue of a development team including an editor with their game, nor have I really touched on why Unreal Engine # would be a good choice. Honestly, I don't know quite as much about how an editor works in conjunction to the main game code, nor do I know enough about other engines to pose a fantastic argument, but I'll try to impress what I do know.

I would like to know, firstly, just what is stopping a developer from including the version of the editor they used in building the game in the first place. With Unreal Engine games, the engine source code is not compiled through the editor in the first place. The only things I could see being a problem are the custom in-built tools/plugins that a developer might have implemented into the dev. kit. I'd like to be illuminated on this subject in case I'm as off as I sense I am.

Another big misconception about engines, namely those of the next generation variety, is that their advancements occur overwhelmingly on the graphical side of things. This is a big part of a generation jump, but what's most important to content creators is the ease of developing their game/product in the first place. Unreal Editor has had a reputation for having a generally great interface, and while it's gotten better over time, Unreal Engine 4 has the most obvious change not only to UI but to the workflow of development in general. Many procedural processes are now largely facilitated through the engine, such as material generation. Several changes to the code can be made as the simulation is running, including the player character. Compiling is a non-issue, as is light baking (all realtime). It's all about developer and modder usability, and I have seen plenty of past evidence that leads me to believe that Unreal Engine would be a good one to go for (even if they don't want to make their game moddable *grumble*).

So hopefully I've added to the discussion, and have prompted some others. Let me know what I'm completely missing and where I gaffed. Done with my babbling.

CyberP
30th Oct 2013, 21:29
Unreal Engine is very good. And yeah, can do a lot of things from the editor now, Kismet and all that.
But even if it is on UED4 we probably still won't see a SDK unless it's in Square Enix's interests.

WildcatPhoenix
30th Oct 2013, 23:27
Unreal Engine is very good. And yeah, can do a lot of things from the editor now, Kismet and all that.
But even if it is on UED4 we probably still won't see a SDK unless it's in Square Enix's interests.

And why would greater longevity, free community-based troubleshooting/patches, and the potential for more sales (through people who buy the main game just to play a community-built mod) not be in Square's interests?

CyberP
30th Oct 2013, 23:32
And why would greater longevity, free community-based troubleshooting/patches, and the potential for more sales (through people who buy the main game just to play a community-built mod) not be in Square's interests?

I would think it would be in their interests.

Active community, it grows. People always talking, attracts more customers. Community-made work and fixes for the devs to take note of as has happened in other communities....I just don't know. Seems like a win/win for everybody.

If there was a SDK released for DX:HR this place would be bustling right now and there would be no negativity as almost any issue we'd ideally be able to resolve ourselves.

I just don't know.

PC only I guess, DX:HR sold more on consoles. However it would still grow PC community significantly and both console and PC gamers would hear about the game on the net etc from the game always being talked about. Everyone knew what Minecraft was when it was still PC exclusive. **** knows why on that one either, it's more than overrated unfortunately.

Shralla
31st Oct 2013, 00:22
UE3 didn't look bad in development either then it had a ton of issues that still exist to this day. UE4 seems like it might be fixing all that but I'd wait and see on our side before I start hoping for the team to use it.

Dishonored developer Arkane just picked up CryEngine 3.

Marik Bentusi
20th Nov 2013, 19:45
Engine isn't something that automatically sprinkles your game in high res textures and particle effects. It sets the boundaries for how much you can do with the tech under the hood, which is why modular and highly moddable engines like UE3.5 can still make games like Bioshock Infinite look just as good as any other contemporary title with a decent art style slapped on it.

So really, don't trust engine showcase videos as much as their makers want you to. It's about how much you can bend it before it breaks.

It's why Thief's AI is currently struggling so much for example.

Tverdyj
20th Nov 2013, 21:43
because it'd cut into DLC sales.

HERESY
20th Nov 2013, 23:44
Not if the DLC offers content the mods don't have. Example? Story driven content. ETA and I am talking real story driven content with good voice acting etc.

Lucifer
21st Nov 2013, 08:14
Just look what can you do with this baby.This is the engine that new Deus Ex need.No doubt.

acR4n6lJEdQ

Shralla
21st Nov 2013, 08:57
You only have to put the letter/number combination at the end of the video URL in it.

3rdmillhouse
21st Nov 2013, 21:34

What's your point?

Fest1984
4th Jan 2014, 18:58
that unreal 4 engine looks awesome :)

hybridex
5th Mar 2014, 22:01
Seems I am a bit late for the game on this one.. so, what the h is DX universe? Is it out yet? What is it like an online world of warcraft thing?

Shralla
5th Mar 2014, 23:47
Deus Ex Universe is just a blanket term for every bit of Deus Ex media that is going to be coming out. It's a stupid name that I knew was going to confuse people when they announced it, so they really should have just kept calling it the Deus Ex franchise.

hybridex
7th Mar 2014, 18:31
Got it, Shralla. Thanks for the clarification.