PDA

View Full Version : Director's Cut movies lower quality?

unconditional
27th Oct 2013, 20:09
Many of us were hoping that we will finally get higher quality cinematics with the director's cut version of the game. It seems the quality of the movies has actually gotten worse. Here is a comparison shot from the intro. It's clearly visible especially on the smaller text (like the words "director"), or in the center, on the spinal cord segment outlines (smooth in the original, jagged in the DC).

The selected resolution in the game was 1920x1200 in both versions.

(Ingore the tooltip on mouse over, it says "Original version", but actually that's the DC).

DXHR intro DC/non-DC screenshot comparison (http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/46595)

Franubis
27th Oct 2013, 20:19
God da****... Does it seriously look that bad?

Gonna have to try it out before stating my opinion, but judging by those screenshots....

Smoke43
28th Oct 2013, 21:48
I can agree on that of the cut movies but the graphics of the game for pc have improved because i noticed that system requirements for pc have been lowered and the game can run at max setting even on low powered pcs

Deu sex
28th Oct 2013, 22:00
some people here are definitely sucking baobabs.

URGENTLY NEED PATCH.

Pinky_Powers
28th Oct 2013, 23:54
I actually think they are a bit crisper than before. They will always look terrible, because they're FMVs, but the resolution seems a bit higher.

Could just be me. Maybe they're the same. Certainly doesn't look worse in my opinion.

Franubis
29th Oct 2013, 20:13
I'm going to have to retract myself from my previous statement here.
After playing the Director's Cut, I also say they do look crisper than the original cutscenes.

I'd guess they are still rendered at 720p; but have been compressed in a different way, and certainly retain more definition in most cases. The only cutscene that may have looked worse than vanilla's was the intro credits, but I'd say it was just because of the gamma in that scene.

Pretty damn happy with these small improvements so far.

GeekMom
5th Nov 2013, 01:10
When I first started the DC it looked BAD! I had to set my video to tri-linear to get it to look proper.

Darthassin
5th Nov 2013, 15:11
When I first started the DC it looked BAD! I had to set my video to tri-linear to get it to look proper.

But I thought video settings don't effect quality of pre-rendered cutscenes. :scratch:

BTW. The DC intro looks terrible indeed in comparation to original HR. The rest of the cutscenes doesn't look worse or better in any noticible way. At least I didn't spot any diffrence.