PDA

View Full Version : DEHR:DC -- NG+, where is my gear?

DarkUncleBoh
27th Oct 2013, 08:20
So one of the things that most excited me about the idea of having NG+, was the ability to play the early parts of the game with a tricked out laser rifle - wanting to do a play through where I try to avoid projectile weapons as much as possible in favor of energy weapons and takedowns.

...so I completed the game... started a new game plus... got all of my augments, but where is my gear?

Didn't have it for the pre-surgery-Adam, but with no inventory management I expected that. Didn't have it when I went on the opening lab mission, so figured they wanted you to still do the first mission with limited gear... so maybe it is waiting for me in my office at Sarif afterwards? Nope. Maybe it is waiting in my apartment for me? Nope

So did I miss something?

Also: While I appreciate taking point of taking consumables away during MissingLink and only giving them back at the end, I was extremely disappointed to see that only what was in the inventory was given back and NOT the ammo that was taken out of the weapons in the first place. With upgrades, that was 900 laser battery down the drain - not to mention all ammo in the grenade launcher. :(

JCpies
27th Oct 2013, 08:30
Haha, legendary.

Count D
27th Oct 2013, 09:03
I guess you did, considering nobody promised you will retain your gear in NG+. From the Steam Store page:

use the Newgame+ feature to replay the story with your previously acquired augmentationsNot a word about the gear.

singularity
27th Oct 2013, 10:08
I guess you did, considering nobody promised you will retain your gear in NG+. From the Steam Store page:
Not a word about the gear.

Considering the only way to actually modify Adam and make your Adam unique from everyone else's was through gear selection and gear upgrades (because everyone fully maxed out Adam's augments by the end, especially with the extra praxis in the Missing Link), this is extremely disappointing.

I didn't care about maxing my augments. That's easy, and can be done in a single playthrough. Considering you can only max out one or two weapons per-playthrough however, and that is where the real fun would lie -- each round, upgrading 2 more weapons, experimenting with ones you liked.

Count D
27th Oct 2013, 10:19
Considering the only way to actually modify Adam and make your Adam unique from everyone else's was through gear selection and gear upgrades (because everyone fully maxed out Adam's augments by the end, especially with the extra praxis in the Missing Link), this is extremely disappointing.

I didn't care about maxing my augments. That's easy, and can be done in a single playthrough. Considering you can only max out one or two weapons per-playthrough however, and that is where the real fun would lie -- each round, upgrading 2 more weapons, experimenting with ones you liked.

It's not about maxing the augments out, it's about playing as an unstoppable augmented death machine from the start.

singularity
27th Oct 2013, 10:28
It's not about maxing the augments out, it's about playing as an unstoppable augmented death machine from the start.

... because you weren't already?

Well, let me rephrase - Adam, from the start, could go through the whole game just solving problems with his fists - and still can, even with the re balanced difficulty and AI.

What made him a whirlwind of death was his access to a minigun that never over-heated, a pistol that was dead-silent, fired as fast as an automatic and neglected armor, a revolver that was actually a small missile launcher, a laser that cut through walls and killed in one hit and an assault rifle that spewed 50 rounds of bullet-curving, hip-fired, whisper-quiet destruction and reloaded faster than the eye could see...

And you don't get access to any of that until... much, much later.

In fact, wasn't a key argument about the really interesting weapons originally that you got them so late and there was so little ammo, they were useless? The ability to save gear across rounds negates that without even trying.

Count D
27th Oct 2013, 10:36
... because you weren't already?

Well, let me rephrase - Adam, from the start, could go through the whole game just solving problems with his fists - and still can, even with the re balanced difficulty and AI.

What made him a whirlwind of death was his access to a minigun that never over-heated, a pistol that was dead-silent, fired as fast as an automatic and neglected armor, a revolver that was actually a small missile launcher, a laser that cut through walls and killed in one hit and an assault rifle that spewed 50 rounds of bullet-curving, hip-fired, whisper-quiet destruction and reloaded faster than the eye could see...

And you don't get access to any of that until... much, much later.

In fact, wasn't a key argument about the really interesting weapons originally that you got them so late and there was so little ammo, they were useless? The ability to save gear across rounds negates that without even trying.
It's not really easy to go and meet every enemy with blade to the face in plain sight without ever using cover. You either run out of energy or get shot.

Triangletooth
27th Oct 2013, 12:11
I would point out that prior to new game+ at least Adam wouldn't be maxed out til late game, meaning for the most part you had to specialize.

Grimoire_efImp
27th Oct 2013, 16:52
I was ticked.

The only reason I bought this game again was because of NG+ only to have everything I saved up for my second playthrough be taken away.

I already had a save on the base game with maxed out Augs at the beginning thanks to Adams computer exploit.

I feel ripped off and misled.

Shralla
27th Oct 2013, 19:11
You feel ripped off and misled for not being given something you were never told you were being given?

DarkUncleBoh
27th Oct 2013, 21:25
You feel ripped off and misled for not being given something you were never told you were being given?

Speaking only for myself, I have seen multiple places where gear was mentioned as part of NG+ --- it is only now in hindsight that I realize I wasn't looking at actual words put out by Eidos, but rather the interpretations of others (game previews, blogs, wikis, etc) on what the information given by Eidos actually meant.

While I don't necessarily feel "ripped off", I am extremely disappointed. Even if it wasn't something I was promised by Eidos, it a) wasn't that big of a leap of logic that a NG+ would include gear, and b) is something I've been far more interested in than carrying over augmentations.

I did enjoy playing through the game again - did enjoy a number of the changes that were made with the DC. However the lack of gear carry over in NG+ means that instead of diving into the multiple different runs through the entire game, I'm instead putting it down after just one.

WildcatPhoenix
27th Oct 2013, 22:46
Going a bit "get off my lawn" here, but I've never understood the appeal of NG+ features. Developers go through painstaking efforts to balance the number of enemies, items, and obstacles according to a progressive scale of available resources to the player (no lvl50 enemies in the opening mission, for example).

Why is it considered fun to plow through a bunch of low-scale enemies and breeze through early levels without any tension or difficulty whatsoever? :scratch:

P4NCH0theD0G
27th Oct 2013, 22:53
I understand the disappointment, and would hope that this finds its way onto the DC Patch list. Because, as it seems, pretty much every platform needs a patch.

Whether or not it was promised, the weapons are a huge part of your customization and playstyle, and the whole NG+ thing to me was always about starting the game how you ended the game. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if people want it and nobody gets "hurt" by it, why not?

So, Jerion and Emile, please take note of this, okay?

CyberP
27th Oct 2013, 23:23
Why is it considered fun to plow through a bunch of low-scale enemies and breeze through early levels without any tension or difficulty whatsoever? :scratch:

Indeed. However, NG+ can be good when it scales the difficulty and adds new content, but even so it's not suitable for Deus Ex. Deus Ex 1 still has the greatest replayability and it has no NG+. If it did have NG+ it would be less replayable. There's so much choice in DX1 and you cannot even experience 1/3 of it in one playthrough, this encourages playing through again with completely different builds. NG+ as it stands eliminates much choice & challenge. Repeating myself again but the NG+ noobs need it drilled home.
Besides allowing the means to actually use the plasma gun and upgrade it on consoles (can just summon with the burger mod on PC, no?), NG+ served no real purpose.

Unless of course you wanted to "plow through a bunch of low-scale enemies and breeze through early levels without any tension or difficulty whatsoever", which get's boring real quick.

As was said before though, if it were designed similar to Dark Souls or older games that used NG+ then it could have actually worked well for DX:HR. Instead it's the standard modern tacked on NG+ that doesn't change a damn thing, basically just a cheat code or a few console commands.

Berr
27th Oct 2013, 23:52
I think fun can be had Role-playing as an unstoppable killing machine in a NG+ that doesn't scale difficulty. It's basically an alternate version where story didn't have to make concessions to gameplay.

You're an elite agent kitted out with the very best augmentations in the world, and now you are unleashed on the fools that messed with your company. The carnage that ensues is the natural result. Kinda like an interactive version of watching a movie like 'Taken' where the bad guys have no idea what they were messing with and now they pay.

And yeah yeah I know its 'not DX', its a bland power fantasy. Shush. You've said it enough already :P

WildcatPhoenix
27th Oct 2013, 23:58
You're an elite agent kitted out with the very best augmentations in the world, and now you are unleashed on the fools that messed with your company.

Honestly it makes more sense in DXHR than DX1. JC Denton is a rookie agent on his first day of the job. It doesn't really seem logical for him to be outfitted with maxed out augmentations from the very start.

On the other hand, Adam (according to the lore) has all of these augs already installed at maximum functionality. He just has to learn how to use them more effectively, which is simulated by the Praxis system. So it's feasible that he is simply a fast learner.

Still doesn't sound all that fun to me, but...to each his/her own.

Berr
28th Oct 2013, 00:05
@WildcatPhoenix Yeah I know what you mean there is going to be no challenge so its going to really impact on the length of time fun can be had with it.

I certainly wouldn't want it instead of the main game, but I think it can be the 'dessert' to the 'main course' that is the game normal playthrough.

DarkUncleBoh
28th Oct 2013, 00:52
@WildcatPhoenix Yeah I know what you mean there is going to be no challenge so its going to really impact on the length of time fun can be had with it.

I certainly wouldn't want it instead of the main game, but I think it can be the 'dessert' to the 'main course' that is the game normal playthrough.

Pretty much, yeah. I wouldn't want it in replacement of the main game -- but I have already gone through the entirety of the main game 9 times now (8 before DC, one with DC). I personally think it would be fun, to do things like a run through using only energy weapons - or being able to hoard enough PEPS ammo on one play through to be able to do the next with just PEPS, etc.

In the end it is really more about this though: Adding NG+ support to the game is a very trivial thing to do (yes it would be "better" IMO if it were rebalanced, but that would be a massive increase in the amount of work). While I understand that NG+ doesn't appeal to a large number of players, it does appeal to a large number of other players. Since it doesn't take much work to implement, and is strictly optional, why not put in such a feature? IMO the games that truly have the best longevity, are those that give the widest player base the ability to play the game the way they prefer. Often giving more options is expensive and time intensive, so developers need to look at the bang-to-buck ratio... but when something is this simple to implement, it seems like it should be a no-brainer. *shrug*

Grimoire_efImp
28th Oct 2013, 02:27
They never went into detail about New Game + at all. It was all about Wii U features, Boss Fights, and Graphics.

In a game that's all about player choice they shouldn't go out of there way to limite those choices.

I spent 20+ hours collecting rare ammo and credits for the sole purpose of playing the game in a new way, only to find that I was forced back into the old options.

We can already kill or knock out any enemy in 1 shot, why should my weapon of choice make a difforence?

Thanks to an exploit we already had the ability to max out our augs from the start, this "New Game +" is not a new feature, they just intugrated a known exploit into the game and advertised it as a new feature.

Martokeen
18th Nov 2013, 22:51
Hi, Could someone explain - does new game + only apply once you have completed The Directors Cut once? I assumed from the phrasing that you could take your character from the original game and play through The Directors Cut with that in order to make the experience of playing through the game different. I don't want to complete the game a second time, just so I can play it a third time!?

If that is the case any way to import / copy over a character at all?

Thanks

M

Shralla
18th Nov 2013, 23:45
Nope, you're SOL. No way to transfer saves between regular edition and Director's Cut because of the changes they made to the engine and stuff.

Marik Bentusi
20th Nov 2013, 12:30
Well, that kinda sucks to hear about. Here I was hoping to use the Laser and Plasma rifles for more than five minutes in the lategame.

Guess it's back to trainer-ing it up to get there.