PDA

View Full Version : One weird detail in BO2

Paradoks
24th Oct 2013, 01:49
Recently I've been catching some screenshots from BO2, and I noticed something really strange and I don't remember this being discussed before (at least not during my presence on this forum).

So, do you see anything peculiar on this picture?

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5457/vuq1.png

RainaAudron
24th Oct 2013, 10:11
Haha, they all have four fingers? Nice find, Paradoks :D Must have been a model limitation or something.

Paradoks
24th Oct 2013, 12:18
Exactly. We are discussing how many fingers vampires should have in Nosgorh, but it turns out that a much more serious mistake concerning finger count has already been made. I actually like the design of four claws in Nosgoth but I think it's centuries to late for that stage.

As for BO2 - I don't think it's a model limitation. That one finger is meaningless when it comes to polygon count and vampires have five fingers (I'm not yet sure if all of them). I honestly can't figure out why they did this. At least it's better than the "mittens" in Prince of Persia: T2T.

Maybe all humans are actually undercover vampires? Or whole BO2 is just a bad dream? :D

RainaAudron
24th Oct 2013, 12:25
Hm, I think it´s just the way the model was built as a default. Better ask Steve Ross about this :D

Lord_Aevum
24th Oct 2013, 20:37
Nice find. I'd say it's entirely appropriate (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourFingeredHands), given that Blood Omen 2 has always been a god damn cartoon to begin with.

The_Hylden
25th Oct 2013, 21:40
You know, the Hylden have four fingers in the game, too, and on the consoles, the heads that are chopped off of anything human, or Hylden, are all a male human head... I wonder if they started off with the same base models and if humans were only added later, or something.

diuqSehT
25th Oct 2013, 23:03
Um, I've always looked away during closeups and just assumed that humans have hands and vampires have hands (because 3 fingers for them is silly too). Cloven feet on the really old ones, maybe that's okay. But any vampire who evolved hands they couldn't use would be removed from the pack by Darwin. So the leading vampires have full kung fu grip, and the truth is that 3 fingers was easier to draw than 5. Also, I don't like how everyone got cartoonish in their faces on the PS2. Betrayed by tech advances.

Paradoks
26th Oct 2013, 00:01
Here are the statistics. All vampires (except Janos and Vorador of course) and the Seer have 5 fingers. Janos, Vorador, and the Sarafan Knights on their left hand (but that's probably just the gauntlet design) have 3. Hylden Warriors have one finger and a blade. All other characters in game have 4. If they all started from the same model (and I think that some models, like Sarafan Knights for example, look a little to distinct for that) then I'd expect no-name Cabal vampires to inherit this as well.

I think I'll start using this as evidence that BO2 is not canonical :p.

However on the concept art humans have 5 fingers.