PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Achievements and Trophies for those interested.

merrick97
23rd Oct 2013, 13:28
A common question being asked is if you can re-earn achievements or trophies?

Here is the answer:

On the PS3 version you CAN get a whole new platinum even if you have gotten the platinum for the original version.

For the 360 version you CANNOT.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/719088-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/67577198

Just something to consider for trophy/achievements hunters.

I realize that we have members of this forum who are "elitist" and claim that achievements/trophies ruin games, please do me a favor and keep your condescending attitude out of this thread.

CyberP
23rd Oct 2013, 14:41
[B]I realize that we have members of this forum who are "elitist" and claim that achievements/trophies ruin games

That is not the claim.

i) Achievements, if implemented well, can be very beneficial and welcome. Problem is they are rarely implemented well and often substitute rewarding actual in-game content as well as influencing tedious play at times.
ii) Achievement hunters, these people are a blight on the industry, who buy any trash (supporting cookie-cutter) just for the achievements. It's rather sad. And yes, this doesn't apply to all obsessive achievement hunters, as few do only hunt the ones for games they actually like, but then I wouldn't consider them the obsessive hunters.

This is the theme of the hunters (and many other groups, mainly most publishers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswfLcROs-0
Sucking the good out of the industry day after day.
Even sadder is the hunters have no idea. :rolleyes:

Shralla
23rd Oct 2013, 18:51
But woo you can get platinum, even less meaningful than your huge gamerscore.

Berr
23rd Oct 2013, 22:04
Thanks for the info :)

Tverdyj
24th Oct 2013, 00:14
That is not the claim.

i) Achievements, if implemented well, can be very beneficial and welcome. Problem is they are rarely implemented well and often substitute rewarding actual in-game content as well as influencing tedious play at times.
ii) Achievement hunters, these people are a blight on the industry, who buy any trash (supporting cookie-cutter) just for the achievements. It's rather sad. And yes, this doesn't apply to all obsessive achievement hunters, as few do only hunt the ones for games they actually like, but then I wouldn't consider them the obsessive hunters.

This is the theme of the hunters (and many other groups, mainly most publishers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswfLcROs-0
Sucking the good out of the industry day after day.
Even sadder is the hunters have no idea. :rolleyes:

QFT. There are games that do achievements very right. off the top of my head are two examples that actually incorporate them into gameplay

1) Alpha Protocol--"achievements" give your character in-game stat boosts and affect how your game plays out.

2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Prypyat: the in-game "achievements" are results of things you do in-game and reflect how the game world treats you.

HERESY
25th Oct 2013, 19:11
I don't pay attention to gamerscores, trophies and achievements but I don't think they ruin games.