PDA

View Full Version : Square-Enix Collective, future of Deus Ex?

Shralla
8th Oct 2013, 19:24
http://collective.square-enix.com/

Collective is a curated platform that enables creators to post ideas, and gamers to judge whether those ideas should become reality or not. Every idea that's successful with the community is checked and helped by Square Enix, while a partnership with world-leading crowdfunding platform Indiegogo enables gamers to then back the ideas they love the most.

Plus - you could have the chance to work with some of the older Eidos IP from our back-catalogue. More information on submission parameters and IP selection will be made available at GDC Next, November 5-7 at the LA Convention Center. If you have any questions or feedback, let us know.

Hmmmmmmm.......................

CyberP
8th Oct 2013, 19:34
Finally, Square-Enix is doing something that doesn't make me shake my head. Good job. Some great things can come out of this.

Jerion
8th Oct 2013, 19:38
I don't think this necessarily pertains to the DX games, but it's a great initiative.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Oct 2013, 19:42
Woah, thanks for posting.
I think this is fantastic news. Its awesome that the community gets the opportunity to really get involved.. :cool: :thumb:

HERESY
8th Oct 2013, 19:42
If you guys think they are going to let you touch the ED franchise you're crazy. They already have HR, The Fall and a new game based on the franchise, so chances of them doing something with ED are unlikely. Now some of the older franchises? Yeah. ED? Nope. Why? They're going in a new direction.

Remember, this is still going to be crowd funded and has to align with what their team is capable of doing or have the resources to do (which I've explained countless times in many classic posts) but hopefully, now, this allows the more passionate members of the ED community to understand the business aspect and not blame EM or SE for tarnishing the franchises they've become emotionally attached to.

Good job SE, once again it's great seeing you guys endorsing what I've said all along.

Shralla
8th Oct 2013, 19:44
Deus Ex is definitely among the "older Eidos IPs"

They probably realized that most of the old fans are not even remotely satisfied with what they're doing with the modern properties, and figured they could make a buck off of helping indie developers create "proper sequels."

HERESY
8th Oct 2013, 19:48
Deus Ex is definitely among the "older Eidos IPs"

They probably realized that most of the old fans are not even remotely satisfied with what they're doing with the modern properties, and figured they could make a buck off of helping indie developers create "proper sequels."

The problem with that is it has to coincide with whatever vision or business model they have in place as it pertains to the current direction of the IP. In short, a remake must be in line with the current games/IP/Brand and must not take precedent over the current brand and IP or even come close to changing it.

Old fans = small in number.

Sales figures and awards = the game was well recieved (I'm talking HR here not other games.)

Shralla
8th Oct 2013, 19:51
The problem with that is it has to coincide with whatever vision or business model they have in place as it pertains to the current direction of the IP.

Not really. There's literally no reason to assume that would be true.

HERESY
8th Oct 2013, 19:55
Not really. There's literally no reason to assume that would be true.

It's business 101. Think about why licensing is very detailed when it comes to what you can and can't do when you're a licensee. It's no different.

Jerion
8th Oct 2013, 20:11
Think I agree with HERESY here. In the example case of EM's adopted franchises, a game involving the Deus Ex IP would most likely have to align with the current plan in place (i.e. Deus Ex Universe). It wouldn't necessarily have to be identical to HR though.

Karpaw
8th Oct 2013, 23:03
So SE's role is basically to provide some financial management consulting for the developer. And for this they no doubt expect to pocket most of the profits and rights to the IP, if it's an original one. Considering how that offer is phrased, there's no way it applies to DX or any other of their currently active franchises. It's just a carrot offered to give SE a free opportunity to potentially cash in on their dormant properties.

I guess it was just a matter of time before publishers tried to co-opt crowdfunding. Smart developers are better off on their own.

CyberP
8th Oct 2013, 23:48
So SE's role is basically to provide some financial management consulting for the developer. And for this they no doubt expect to pocket most of the profits and rights to the IP, if it's an original one. Considering how that offer is phrased, there's no way it applies to DX or any other of their currently active franchises. It's just a carrot offered to give SE a free opportunity to potentially cash in on their dormant properties.

Standard stuff for a publisher, then.

I guess it was just a matter of time before publishers tried to co-opt crowdfunding. Smart developers are better off on their own.

Perhaps...

Shralla
9th Oct 2013, 00:38
Think I agree with HERESY here. In the example case of EM's adopted franchises, a game involving the Deus Ex IP would most likely have to align with the current plan in place (i.e. Deus Ex Universe). It wouldn't necessarily have to be identical to HR though.

I don't see any reason it couldn't encompass something like a glorified mod for the original that creates some kind of new story with full voice acting and everything. Nobody's going to confuse any game releases through this program with the AAA mainline stuff. It's a brilliant way to get all the "forum naysayers" to shut up and be happy while also making a buck off it.

WildcatPhoenix
9th Oct 2013, 03:15
I don't see any reason it couldn't encompass something like a glorified mod for the original that creates some kind of new story with full voice acting and everything. Nobody's going to confuse any game releases through this program with the AAA mainline stuff. It's a brilliant way to get all the "forum naysayers" to shut up and be happy while also making a buck off it.

Indeed. My own mod project draws extensively from the original DX1 IP (characters, plot, setting, etc), to the point where it could be considered a pseudo-sequel. I see no reason why EM/Square wouldn't want to promote similar projects... with the added bonus of profit.

AlexOfSpades
9th Oct 2013, 13:08
If the community collectively decides that an idea is great, Square Enix will then utilize a new partnership with crowdfunding website Indiegogo

Square Enix

Indie

HAHAHAAH