PDA

View Full Version : The next Deus Ex, engine

bni
7th Oct 2013, 11:33
So what engine do you think they will use for the next DX game?

I hope they stick with the DX: HR engine, and improve some of its less impressive parts, like characters and their body/face animation.

The Missing Link DLC on PC/DX11 was quite an improvement, and, looking at it from the outside it sure looks like it can be used to good effect on the next gen consoles.

I hope they dont go the Unreal route like so many other games. I think a lot of the special feel that DX:HR has is due to it using its own uniqe engine.

68_pie
7th Oct 2013, 12:34
Basically any other engine. The TRU engine, even modified, was pretty horrible for what they were trying to do.

CyberP
7th Oct 2013, 12:49
Basically any other engine. The TRU engine, even modified, was pretty horrible for what they were trying to do.

What's that then? I cannot be certain as I have spent no time with the engine except when playing DX:HR, but the issues I saw with the game was down to design decisions, not the engine.

I would be perfectly fine with the game being on the same engine, unless a decent argument is put forward why the engine sucks.
Since DX4 is intended to be a next-gen game Crystal will almost certainly be further modified anyway.

Darthassin
7th Oct 2013, 14:39
SE bought rights to use Unreal Engine couple months ago so.... We'll see.

THC 303
7th Oct 2013, 15:08
dx4 will probably be running on unreal engine 4

AlexOfSpades
7th Oct 2013, 15:27
UE4 pls Eidos pls

Jerion
7th Oct 2013, 16:12
UE4 maybe. Luminous is also a possibility.

xaduha2
7th Oct 2013, 16:15
Apparently Thief 4 uses UE3, not UE4.

Tverdyj
7th Oct 2013, 17:28
What's that then? I cannot be certain as I have spent no time with the engine except when playing DX:HR, but the issues I saw with the game was down to design decisions, not the engine.

I would be perfectly fine with the game being on the same engine, unless a decent argument is put forward why the engine sucks.
Since DX4 is intended to be a next-gen game Crystal will almost certainly be further modified anyway.Physics.

I've spent over half an hour in lower levels of Pangu trying to throw up crates onto a catwalk and then stack them so that I could toss a small crate up the ladder and use it to jump into a vent and get a book that was hidden there, :)

But seriously, good physics engine will make the game much more immersive by offering more creative solutions.

Also, please get rid of invisible walls.

CyberP
7th Oct 2013, 17:38
Physics.

I've spent over half an hour in lower levels of Pangu trying to throw up crates onto a catwalk and then stack them so that I could toss a small crate up the ladder and use it to jump into a vent and get a book that was hidden there, :)

But seriously, good physics engine will make the game much more immersive by offering more creative solutions.

The physics were fine. I did a lot of box throwing too, Immersive box throwing. It's a box throwing simulator ;)

Also, please get rid of invisible walls.

Not physics engine (or engine in general) related, but I am sure you know this already.

Tverdyj
7th Oct 2013, 18:33
Box throwing was fine. Box stacking otoh, was terrible.

The reason I've spent more than half hour throwing boxes was because the boxes I stacked would collapse the second i tried jumping on them, falling off the catwalk, requiring me to start over.

Shralla
7th Oct 2013, 19:23
The physics were not fine. Not even close. No more crappy Crystal engine. Plenty of things were a result of the engine limitation and I've already talked about them before so I'm not going to repeat myself.

I don't know why somebody would want a next-gen game to use such a painfully weak engine anyway. I realize it's not all about graphics, but since they're clearly selling this to "everybody else" as well as Deus Ex fans, nobody outside of the fanbase is going to give a next-gen game the time of day unless it looks way better than the Crystal engine is ever going to make it. Engines don't last forever. It's six years old and wasn't impressive when it came out. Time for a new one.

Everybody's saying UE4 but realistically we don't know anything about it and UE3 was terrible. I'll wait to see some of the UE4 games that come out before jumping on top of that.

Lucifer
8th Oct 2013, 10:07
I am worried abut DX 4 engine .I would like to see Tom Clancys The Division engine In DX Universe.

Very realistic amazing lighting I want this in new DX
http://beefjack.com/files/2013/08/The-Division-August.jpg

Darthassin
8th Oct 2013, 10:50
Why are people so hyped about The Division?

I can't see anything special from what they have already showed.

Lucifer
8th Oct 2013, 11:08
Maybe you haven't seen the game?

Darthassin
8th Oct 2013, 12:27
Maybe you haven't seen the game?

I saw lengthy gameplay and it wasn't impressive.

Shralla
8th Oct 2013, 19:39
I don't care how many games are doing it right now, seemlessly mixing dynamic PVP with open-world co-op gameplay is still impressive.

Jerion
8th Oct 2013, 19:42
There are too few ambitious AAA co-op games out there. I'll always welcome one more.

ishiki
12th Oct 2013, 04:08
while the physics in deus ex sucks... The physics in the last tomb raider was a lot better.

That used crystal too correct?

Cannon
22nd Oct 2013, 20:59
I thought the DE:HR engine looked dated as heck. I never understood the reviews praising its graphics. Art style? Great. But graphical prowess? No way. It was stiff, not that sharp, and rather flat looking. Not a cinematic graphics engine at all.