PDA

View Full Version : Would You Like To See Lara Age?

DamianGraham
3rd Oct 2013, 03:47
I'm assuming a sequel means that the time frame from the previous game is going to have advanced. How much is yet to be known, my question is would you prefer to see Lara age throughout the series' reboot, or do we like 21 year old/young Lara?

pirate1802
3rd Oct 2013, 03:49
Yes please. And after say 5-6 games I'd like to see her as a badass grandma.

DamianGraham
3rd Oct 2013, 03:59
Yes please. And after say 5-6 games I'd like to see her as a badass grandma.

Hahaha could you imagine? Maybe by then they could create a complete spin-off series or something with a daughter! :O Personally I don't want to see her get old, I just like the idea of her being around forever :p

pirate1802
3rd Oct 2013, 04:49
Hahaha could you imagine? Maybe by then they could create a complete spin-off series or something with a daughter! :O Personally I don't want to see her get old, I just like the idea of her being around forever :p

:p Actually that was my inspiration for one of my outfits in the custom outfit competition xD

ptjnkd_larapngold3.png

/blatantselfpromotion

But yeah, I'd prefer her to age realistically and die at a certain point. As much as I'd like to see Tomb Raider forever, like one wise man said.. you either die a heroine or live long enough to see yourself become a Call of Duty. :D

Metalrocks
3rd Oct 2013, 06:55
sure, why not. would be nice to see how she actually gets older and therefor learns from every adventure.
and most of all, it would be even more amusing how she would say one day:" im to old for this ****" :lol:

VaBanes
3rd Oct 2013, 11:13
If she's something like 3 months older in the next game, I wouldn't have any problem with this. ^^

Metalrocks
3rd Oct 2013, 12:50
If she's something like 3 months older in the next game, I wouldn't have any problem with this. ^^

like 3 months really make a huge difference. :p :lol:
3 years on the other hand, there you might expect some changes with her appearance.

Jurre
3rd Oct 2013, 12:52
Seeing how an adventure like TR9 takes only a few days she can have over 50 or 70 adventures while still being 21. Aging would not be visible unless there's like 5 years between two games. Why would there be 5 years between?

MissBrandy
3rd Oct 2013, 15:21
since she ends this adventure in some days and at the end she sais 'I'm not going home' ..it makes me believe that she will start the next adventure in few days after leaving Yamatai ...so maybe we will have 3 adventures of Lara before her 22 bday :D:D (and maybe other 3 or 4 adventures before 23 ...hope :D)

I prefer her like this : Young and wild and free :D

Rai
3rd Oct 2013, 15:41
Hmm, While I think it would add realism if Lara's look changes subtly to indicate she's older, I'm not bothered to know her age and I do not think it wise to keep her aging each year. Take her current look and make it so she looks more hardened, world weary but not age specific. In TR'13 she was made to look younger and we knew her age for the purpose of the story. This is not necessary again. Didn't Crystal D say Lara would remain ageless from now on? I prefer that.

dark7angel
3rd Oct 2013, 15:45
Hmm, While I think it would add realism if Lara's look changes subtly to indicate she's older, I'm not bothered to know her age and I do not think it wise to keep her aging each year. Take her current look and make it so she looks more hardened, world weary but not age specific. In TR'13 she was made to look younger and we knew her age for the purpose of the story. This is not necessary again. Didn't Crystal D say Lara would remain ageless from now on? I prefer that.

Completely agree! :thumb:

VaBanes
3rd Oct 2013, 16:24
Didn't Crystal D say Lara would remain ageless from now on? I prefer that.
When did they say that? Link? (I'm just wondering.)

As far as I know the story in the comics will be set a few weeks after Yamatai, so they probably won't let her age in real-time (like 2013 she's 21 and 2017 she's 25 or something like that). It's better if the story kinda stops while the games are in development and continues "ingame", in my opinion.

In general I wouldn't like it if the story continues years later with every game, that would be too long of "not knowing what Lara is doing" :D.

pirate1802
3rd Oct 2013, 17:32
I kinda like to see old people being old and still kicking ass you know, like young people. There's something graceful. Like Geralt in Vabanes's profile pic. Like Ezio in AC: Revelations.

MissBrandy
3rd Oct 2013, 18:25
In general I wouldn't like it if the story continues years later with every game, that would be too long of "not knowing what Lara is doing" :D.

I agree :worship:

Rai
3rd Oct 2013, 19:35
When did they say that? Link? (I'm just wondering.)

As far as I can remember, it has been said elsewhere too, but this is what I could find to a question about Lara's birthday in the Q&A thread (http://eidosforums.com/showthread.php?t=124504):
KS: ‘Does she need to have a birthday? Is it something that we need to bring to her personality?’ And I think that the answer is no. Really, from our perspective, we don't want to date Lara. But we still keep her in our hearts.”

*the bit in bold was my emphasis. I couldn't find anything else, but I think it has been said Lara won't age in future games.

Tyrannosaurus
4th Oct 2013, 02:10
Of course Lara should age. Is she not human, and mortal? She seemed much more real to me when she had an actual birthdate. I wish TR2013 hadn't been set in the present day, because that forces us to imagine an alternate reality that approximates our own, but in which Lara Croft doesn't exist in cultural consciousness. This is like rebooting Superman or Batman in the modern era; it's just awkward if you set in today's world. You're better off setting in the past.

Core's Lara would be 45 now, and I would have absolutely no problem playing as a 45 year old Lara Croft in a game. Indiana Jones is still an ass-kicker into his late 50's, so why not Lara?

Furthermore, imagine how the TR series would mature as a consequence of Lara's maturation. Would the gameplay itself be more cerebral and puzzle-based with an aging Lara? Would the game adopt a more somber tone as we feel the weight of her past exploits and adventures garner into a mythology that she can't quite rid herself of? I've always felt that Tomb Raider needed a Grand Finale (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandFinale) of sorts to answer these questions. Angel of Darkness seemed to to be veering toward them. If the AOD trilogy had been completed according to Core's original vision, we might have ended up with a brilliant deconstruction of the original series.

But it was for naught. Lara is a victim of her own success, so she is doomed to be a valkyrie in a poor man's Valhalla where she must continuously die and be resurrected to fight the endless battles her fans demand of her. Perhaps Core's Lara was freed from her own fans, given that her series was subsequently orphaned. Sometimes I wonder how she's doing. I hope she found Kurtis. And a light at the end of that tunnel, but literally and figuratively.

Metalrocks
4th Oct 2013, 07:42
i have added a new wish about lara aging. ;)

sanriela
4th Oct 2013, 07:57
I like the idea to see Lara grow old with the time... Every character die one day. Good things must have they own end.

pirate1802
4th Oct 2013, 09:43
I like the idea to see Lara grow old with the time... Every character die one day. Good things must have they own end.

QFT. And hey its a videogame, Old Lara can still kick ass as much as a young Lara anyway. :p

Gemma_Darkmoon_
5th Oct 2013, 19:07
I would like to see her older in the next instalment as that fits with the context. I am not so bothered about seeing age between each game beyond that as there would be a prime age where she would be going on many adventures quite quickly after each other.

a_big_house
5th Oct 2013, 21:15
I voted yes, just 'cause I expect they'd want a new VA :D

DamianGraham
5th Oct 2013, 21:34
Maybe they could do a thing like in Chronicles when they showed young Lara, except the opposite. Haha, we'll have flash-forwards of her in a rocker knitting a gun holster for her next adventure... The Grand Buffet!

CakeLuv
5th Oct 2013, 23:36
I want her to grow to.... um let's say about 26, so she'll know a bit more :3

Metalrocks
6th Oct 2013, 04:43
Maybe they could do a thing like in Chronicles when they showed young Lara, except the opposite. Haha, we'll have flash-forwards of her in a rocker knitting a gun holster for her next adventure... The Grand Buffet!

that would be really cool. then the title could be:
Tomb Raider: Age of Time
:p

DamianGraham
7th Oct 2013, 01:30
that would be really cool. then the title could be:
Tomb Raider: Age of Time
:p

:lol: That could work... Remember this conversation one day as you're playing Tomb Raider: Age of Time. The devs know what's up in these forums xD haha

Metalrocks
7th Oct 2013, 06:24
:lol: That could work... Remember this conversation one day as you're playing Tomb Raider: Age of Time. The devs know what's up in these forums xD haha

i think they know very well whats going on here. our beautiful meagan keeps her eyes open :)

MissBrandy
7th Oct 2013, 12:00
I don't think an old Lara will still be loved and accepted by most of players ... I mean, when I play I like seeing young girl and say 'Come on, you can do this' instead seeing an old girl and say 'you can't do this cuz your ass is too old' ....
Do you really think when players will see a grandma in PS4/PS5 cover for Tomb Raider they will want to buy it??
I have two male friends that bought TR because of this young and beauty new Lara Croft and they said 'this is what i need to see in Lara: young, beauty, boobs and bad ass girl' ...
I asked one of them yesterday about what he thinks about Lara getting old again and he said 'oh, not TRU again please' ...
So the devs must think what the players want and like to get benefits ...we can't forget that TR game is business ... The devs won't survive doing games with grandmas

pirate1802
7th Oct 2013, 12:28
Or they could do a an AU/spinoff kind of thing where we play as a young girl/guy whose mentor is the old Lara. That way we'd see aged Lara but don't have to play as an old woman. Hmm?

MissBrandy
7th Oct 2013, 13:25
Or they could do a an AU/spinoff kind of thing where we play as a young girl/guy whose mentor is the old Lara. That way we'd see aged Lara but don't have to play as an old woman. Hmm?

I want Lara ...not any other girl, even if she's her doughter.
Playing TR means Lara Croft.

pirate1802
7th Oct 2013, 13:45
I want Lara ...not any other girl, even if she's her doughter.
Playing TR means Lara Croft.

What if you're not playing TR but another franchise which features Lara as an NPC? ;)

With normal TR featuring normal Lara?

Metalrocks
7th Oct 2013, 14:34
lol, so a 30 year old lara is already too old?? she doenst look old to me in underworld :lol:
anyway, i dont think they will let her age that quickly. and i highly doubt that we will end up playing a 70 year old lara who start complaining about everything :p

just look at the expendables movies. pretty much most of them are over 50 and still kick ass. so lara can do it as well if they should go in to this direction.
just saying.

MissBrandy
7th Oct 2013, 17:32
What if you're not playing TR but another franchise which features Lara as an NPC? ;)

I can't expect Lara as NPC ... :scratch:

MissBrandy
7th Oct 2013, 17:44
lol, so a 30 year old lara is already too old?? she doenst look old to me in underworld :lol:
anyway, i dont think they will let her age that quickly. and i highly doubt that we will end up playing a 70 year old lara who start complaining about everything :p

TRU was my favorite before TR9 and I think Lara looks pretty good at 30 years but all pleople don't think the same ... Some agree she looks sexy and gorgeous and some think she looks too old ..
I saw many opinions in TR Spanish forum where people said she look like 40 years old :| ... But most of them accept this new Lara (2013) without confrontation if she is too young or not ... It seem young Lara is what most people like ...

I'm sure they won't let her age that fast as well. :o

pomeranianpuppy
12th Oct 2013, 10:39
I'd like her to age slowly like in 3 games time she should look a couple years older.
She would be more capable and mature and her appearance should reflect that
Like her cheeks would be less full.

Maybe she'll get her wisdom teeth come through :D

Lara_Fan_84
22nd Oct 2013, 12:55
I feel like there should be a limit. In Underworld I think Lara was technically in her 40's but I could be wrong about that. I'd say if Lara ages there should be a limit as to how old she gets. I'd say maybe mid to late 20's but I would personally rather see her stay the way she is.

MissBrandy
22nd Oct 2013, 15:04
if Lara ages there should be a limit as to how old she gets

Agree ...
From Legend to Underworld , Lara seem to grow 10 years....
Ohhh man !! Too much ...It's toooo much !
If devs didn't decide to ''reborn'' the franchise what would be next? another 5 years later adventure? OMG ... thinkin about lara TRU +5 years it's creepy :thud:

DrCroft
5th Nov 2013, 15:07
I always thought TRU Lara was 35ish, Classics and Legend from 27-31ish and Anniversary 19.

I'd like to see her age slowly throughout the upcoming games, but probably stop around 30/35 mark.

a_big_house
6th Nov 2013, 01:06
^ Woah, I had never thought Ani Lara was 19 :lol: Legend flashback maybe...
I agree with Legend being around the late 20s but Under Lara looked like 45 to me, she had them cougar eyes XD

Heidi_W
28th Apr 2014, 10:17
I don't expect she'll age by TR10, which will likely take place weeks or months after the events on Yamatai - long term, it's possible she'll age a few years in the course of the franchise, but I doubt she'll look significantly different; she wouldn't look much different at 30 than she did at 21 (well, aside from the scars anyway :D ).

So, yeah - keep Lara forever young :)