PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Universe - Lots of Deus Ex games!

Berr
2nd Oct 2013, 14:35
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex?theme=deusex

Finally official confirmation of what I already knew ... the guys at Eidos Montreal who made DXHR are hard at work on DX4, and have been for ages :D

And lots and lots more DX as well - more core games, more mobile games, comics, novels etc. I enjoyed the novel, comics (and even the iPad game) last time around, I cannot wait for this time around! And they are planning for them all upfront so they'll probably inter-relate even better :D

Friggin sweet concept art too, that's going on my desktop for sure :D

Thanks for the announcement David Anfossi and Eidos Montreal team :thumb:

pirate1802
2nd Oct 2013, 14:38
*dances madly around the room*

Darthassin
2nd Oct 2013, 14:43
Yes! Yeees! YEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Erection confirmed.

-Neon-
2nd Oct 2013, 14:51
You guys ninja'd my post from the other Universe thread. Repostin'.

So. It's finally been announced officially (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex?theme=deusex).

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles.
Sounds like a line-up of games. Sort of like how the Kingdom Hearts franchise produced those 3 games for the DS, Vita/PSP, and mobile around the same time (reminder that Square Enix owns both the rights to DX and KH).
While it sounds really neat and is a great way to reach a broader audience, PLEASE don't go down the exact same road, where we can't experience the entire franchise because we don't own a certain platform (books/graphic novels are fine, though). You've seen the backlash from the Fall having been announced as iOS only, don't make the same mistake.

Darthassin
2nd Oct 2013, 14:54
You guys ninja'd my post from the other Universe thread. Repostin'.

So. It's finally been announced officially (http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Future-Vision-for-Deus-Ex?theme=deusex).

Sounds like a line-up of games. Sort of like how the Kingdom Hearts franchise produced those 3 games for the DS, Vita/PSP, and mobile around the same time (reminder that Square Enix owns both the rights to DX and KH).
While it sounds really neat and is a great way to reach a broader audience, PLEASE don't go down the exact same road, where we can't experience the entire franchise because we don't own a certain platform (books/graphic novels are fine, though). You've seen the backlash from the Fall having been announced as iOS only, don't make the same mistake.

Just the reminder: NEVER ALIENATE THE CORE FANBASE!!!!!!!

Finally. Deus Ex 4 on the way. This news made my day.

Pillowman
2nd Oct 2013, 15:25
As long as there's not a MMO on the way, I'm totally down. Love the art - glad to see a shift towards a blue color palette (with touches of the gold for HR). It's closer to the original - makes it look like they're genuinely trying to bridge the gap with this new set of games.

Shaikh
2nd Oct 2013, 15:27
Great news. Can't wait to see more in-game screens and trailers. :D

HERESY
2nd Oct 2013, 15:55
So this basically confirms they're going the transmedia route and "polymorphic" business model Square outlined over ten years ago. In many classic posts I talked about such things, how this franchise would benefit from it, etc. Now they confirm it. It's great when everything you say, on all fronts, becomes reality.

Thanks for this. :)

CodenameD
2nd Oct 2013, 16:26
The emerging tint of blue gets me excited. But with this DXU path, will this lead to a different continuity from that of JC Dentons?

Karpaw
2nd Oct 2013, 17:00
Meh. More books/comics? Video game tie-in products are more often than not notoriously bad because they're so transparently made to cash in on popular brands. Human Revolution was no exception - The Icarus Effect novel was mediocre and that comic book prequel series was the worst piece of **** to ever bear the DX name. This transmedia stuff just reeks of that in a flashier package.

More tablet/mobile stuff? Yeah, no thanks. So the only thing really newsworthy is the making of a new core game, which everyone who paid attention suspected already, but they can't say anything solid about it yet. Great, get back to us when you can, not with more "we have a new marketing strategy!" non-stories.

JCpies
2nd Oct 2013, 17:13
What about the figures?

C'mon, give us Paul and JC figures, and a Tracer Tong & Hooker barbies.

Lucifer
2nd Oct 2013, 17:29
Great news. I like this new concept.I am waiting for more .
http://s.cdaction.pl/obrazki/deus-ex-universe-zapowiedz_175bi.jpg

JCpies
2nd Oct 2013, 17:42
So it begins.

The second great ****storm of our time.

DZU6XyFxCA0

ZakKa89
2nd Oct 2013, 18:16
This and half life 3 confirmation (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688711) on the same day?
Whut?
Happy times

Shralla
2nd Oct 2013, 18:18
I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex.

So it's exactly the same as the backdrop for Human Revolution? This is already a red flag. Where's the surveillance backdrop? It's more pertinent than ever and you could actually turn Deus Ex into a piece of socially relevant art again. Surveillance should ABSOLUTELY be at the heart of the next game, not more pseudo-futurist analogs for racism. We already had that. It was called District 9, and it was better than Eidos Montreal is ever going to do with the same concept.

And based on that concept art, the art design is going to be almost identical too. Still got all that yellow. Sure there's blue now too but the lights are still all golden (even on the blue street). Still a bunch of random triangles all around for no reason. And even the "dirty" part of the street is cleaner than my kitchen floor.

JCpies
2nd Oct 2013, 18:28
They're thematically evolving from gold to blue.

ZakKa89
2nd Oct 2013, 18:31
comment on kotaku. Prepare to RAGE

I really enjoyed Deus Ex at first and then stopped playing once I got outside and realized that the game was nothing more than a puzzle game where I had to figure out how to best walk my dude to get to where I wanted to go. It lost me at that point.

The first part of the game was awesome.

I also think I'd rather see a Deus Ex movie than play the the game

He should be shot :D

Ilves
2nd Oct 2013, 18:34
Where's the surveillance backdrop? It's more pertinent than ever and you could actually turn Deus Ex into a piece of socially relevant art again. Surveillance should ABSOLUTELY be at the heart of the next game, not more pseudo-futurist analogs for racism.

Hear, hear.

But EM's appeal goes a long way in terms of looks & presentation alone.

Lucifer
2nd Oct 2013, 18:38
http://www.grgzone.com/games/deusex/bob_page.jpgWith this news "Soon I will leave this body and death will have no meaning!!"

EricaLeeV
2nd Oct 2013, 18:39
comment on kotaku. Prepare to RAGE

I think the big question is...why were you on Kotaku?

I kid, I kid.

I'm glad there is going to be another big DX game as we all knew there would be, but I must say I do agree with some of the others in thinking the tie-in products already given were not the best. Especially that comic series, goodness. Covers were great on it though.

Edit: And, thanks to Pirpintine, I also see they are still going pretty hard with that Grecian metaphor business.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/84bc74e2fbd34edc36551de93b518088/tumblr_mu1ux9GvnE1qcqz6uo1_500.png

68_pie
2nd Oct 2013, 18:56
Evokes no excitement from me in the least. Finding it really hard to give a ****.

This

Just the reminder: NEVER ALIENATE THE CORE FANBASE!!!!!!!

Too late, DXHR already did that.

Meh. More books/comics? Video game tie-in products are more often than not notoriously bad because they're so transparently made to cash in on popular brands. Human Revolution was no exception - The Icarus Effect novel was mediocre and that comic book prequel series was the worst piece of **** to ever bear the DX name. This transmedia stuff just reeks of that in a flashier package.

More tablet/mobile stuff? Yeah, no thanks. So the only thing really newsworthy is the making of a new core game, which everyone who paid attention suspected already, but they can't say anything solid about it yet. Great, get back to us when you can, not with more "we have a new marketing strategy!" non-stories.

Also this. I can't wait for all the inevitable DLC. I wonder what they will chop out of the game as a preorder bonus?

So it's exactly the same as the backdrop for Human Revolution? This is already a red flag. Where's the surveillance backdrop? It's more pertinent than ever and you could actually turn Deus Ex into a piece of socially relevant art again. Surveillance should ABSOLUTELY be at the heart of the next game, not more pseudo-futurist analogs for racism. We already had that. It was called District 9, and it was better than Eidos Montreal is ever going to do with the same concept.

And based on that concept art, the art design is going to be almost identical too. Still got all that yellow. Sure there's blue now too but the lights are still all golden (even on the blue street). Still a bunch of random triangles all around for no reason. And even the "dirty" part of the street is cleaner than my kitchen floor.

And this.

I think the big question is...why were you on Kotaku?

A valid question.

Wizd3m
2nd Oct 2013, 19:12
Not interested either to be honest. Highly disliked HR, and in all likelihood will detest their Thief re-imagining even more. I'd rather see what EM can do creatively with their own, original IP.

HERESY
2nd Oct 2013, 19:15
PLEASE don't go down the exact same road, where we can't experience the entire franchise because we don't own a certain platform (books/graphic novels are fine, though). You've seen the backlash from the Fall having been announced as iOS only, don't make the same mistake.

They should have looked at the entire mobile market, not just iOS, and released it that way. The bulk of the story should be told in the format/platform that has the largest installed base. So if they were to port The Fall to pc or console, what does it do to their mobile numbers? They should probably make a different type of game for mobile devices, like a point and click or an audio novel game, but they should definitely offer different experiences for those markets and this goes back to the business model Square outlined like ten years ago.

The key here, and you don't even know it, is that if they're using this route as a marketing strategy then they've already failed. Transmedia should NEVER be a marketing strategy. It should simply be content creation that spans multiple mediums to tell a a compelling and cohesive story.

So, if they're doing it the right way, like how The Walking Dead is being done, they'll be able to see a return on investment. If not, well...

IDAFT
2nd Oct 2013, 19:24
Very excited at the news of Deus Ex 4, not so about the comics and books, would rather have had **** loads of single player DLC in it's place.

JCpies
2nd Oct 2013, 19:28
Evokes no excitement from me in the least. Finding it really hard to give a ****.

I sort of feel the same.

I want at least a teaser trailer for Deus Ex 4.

Call me out of the loop, but I really don't care about anything that's going on in the Iphone or Wii U department. If they release the game on multiple platforms, great! But that's what they should do, release a Deus Ex game not an arcade of assorted Human Revolution experiences.

Just give me a once-every-five-years epic game and release an art book with it. That's all I need.

Edit: Maybe that sounded self centred and cynical. Bah, who cares. People here are like that all the time. Not naming any names. :naughty:

68_pie
2nd Oct 2013, 19:33
I sort of feel the same.

I want at least a teaser trailer for Deus Ex 4.

Call me out of the loop, but I really don't care about anything that's going on in the Iphone or Wii U department. If they release the game on multiple platforms, great! But that's what they should do, release a Deus Ex game not an arcade of assorted Human Revolution experiences.

Just give me a once-every-five-years epic game and release an art book with it. That's all I need.

Edit: Maybe that sounded self centred and cynical. Bah, who cares. People here are like that all the time. Not naming any names. :naughty:

No, I mean, I don't even care about the new proper DX game being announced - this is what DXHR has done to me.

JCpies
2nd Oct 2013, 19:36
I don't care either, but that's because we knew it was coming.

I want something to satisfy my senses or something to speculate about.

-Neon-
2nd Oct 2013, 19:37
So it begins.

Wow, that orchestral version is really good. I've never heard it before now. What a shame.

THC 303
2nd Oct 2013, 19:43
Not interested either to be honest. Highly disliked HR, and in all likelihood will detest their Thief re-imagining even more. I'd rather see what EM can do creatively with their own, original IP.

wait a second
you hated the first deus ex eidos montreal put out
you don't like their new thief

why are you excited for their original ip if the only project they released sucked (according to your opinion) and their next one also looks like trash (according to your opinion)?

why are you even posting on the deus ex human revolution forum if you highly disliked human revolution? okay perhaps you want to discuss your dissapointment about it with people here, but why posting this in the announcement thread for the next deus ex game? why? i really wanna know, let me into your world! :scratch::scratch::scratch:

HERESY
2nd Oct 2013, 19:50
wait a second

why are you excited for their original ip if the only project they released sucked (according to your opinion) and their next one also looks like trash (according to your opinion)?

why are you even posting on the deus ex human revolution forum if you highly disliked human revolution? okay perhaps you want to discuss your dissapointment about it with people here, but why posting this in the announcement thread for the next deus ex game? why? i really wanna know, let me into your world! :scratch::scratch::scratch:

Because a lot of people here have an entitlement mentality and are so emotionally attached to the past that they think anything new is not "Deus Ex." These people believe if it isn't confined to the pc, isn't exactly as the original and if makes attempts to branch out into other markets, that it's bad. Well, it isn't. EM and Sqaure are for profit, so if they own the IP and want to exploit it for revenue no one should complain.

THC 303
2nd Oct 2013, 19:57
Because a lot of people here have an entitlement mentality and are so emotionally attached to the past that they think anything new is not "Deus Ex." These people believe if it isn't confined to the pc, isn't exactly as the original and if makes attempts to branch out into other markets, that it's bad. Well, it isn't. EM and Sqaure are for profit, so if they own the IP and want to exploit it for revenue no one should complain.

well in my opinion square and eidos have treated the IP pretty well so far (way better then the original creators with that abdomination called invisible war) and i'm really excited by this news

i also liked the novel and the ios game
i will also buy the directors cut full price

i think i will really enjoy my time on this forum

HERESY
2nd Oct 2013, 20:01
well in my opinion square and eidos have treated the IP pretty well so far (way better then the original creators with that abdomination called invisible war) and i'm really excited by this news

i also liked the novel and the ios game
i will also buy the directors cut full price

i think i will really enjoy my time on this forum

In the eyes of many people here, with the exception of your comment about IW, you're treading on the grounds of trolling. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here when I tell you this because I feel the same way as you do and it is what I was called for being outspoken and making classic posts. Human Revolution was my intro to the franchise, I liked the novel, I've played The Fall for a bit on a friends iOS device (I have an android device) and I'm placing my preorder for the DC as we speak.

Enjoy your stay, friend.

68_pie
2nd Oct 2013, 20:08
wait a second

I can't speak for him but from my point of view, DXHR would have been a good game if it wasn't branded as a DX game. By putting "Deus Ex" on the game we have to judge it against the other games of the franchise and it doesn't compare favourably. E.g. for me DXHR is a 5/10 game. If it was an original IP I would have given it 7/10.

It's the same reason I didn't like the new Tomb Raider and why I am so negative about the new Thief. They could be good games if they weren't saddled with the IPs they are marketed as belonging to.

THC 303
2nd Oct 2013, 20:21
I can't speak for him but from my point of view, DXHR would have been a good game if it wasn't branded as a DX game. By putting "Deus Ex" on the game we have to judge it against the other games of the franchise and it doesn't compare favourably. E.g. for me DXHR is a 5/10 game. If it was an original IP I would have given it 7/10.

It's the same reason I didn't like the new Tomb Raider and why I am so negative about the new Thief. They could be good games if they weren't saddled with the IPs they are marketed as belonging to.

well judged against the pos that was invisible war i think HR does compare favourably and it comes pretty close to the greatness of the original game

but i'm still curious, if you give human revolution a 5/10, how would you rate the first deus ex and IW?

oh and it still doesn't explain why this guy ****posts his negative opinion of HR in this thread which is about the announcement of the sequel

Enjoy your stay, friend.

thank you!

68_pie
2nd Oct 2013, 20:25
well judged against the pos that was invisible war i think HR does compare favourably and it comes pretty close to the greatness of the original game

but i'm still curious, if you give human revolution a 5/10, how would you rate the first deus ex and IW?

DX as a DX game: 10/10 (obviously)
DX as a game: 10/10

DXIW as a DX game: 6/10
DXIW as a game: 6/10

DXHR as a DX game: 5/10
DXHR as a game: 7/10

oh and it still doesn't explain why this guy ****posts his negative opinion of HR in this thread which is about the announcement of the sequel

because he's allowed to express his opinion and it's 100% relevant.

WildcatPhoenix
2nd Oct 2013, 20:25
Can't help but be excited about this news. All issues with EM aside, more games in the DX universe means more chances to get it right (and push the envelope further for FPS/RPG game design).

I'll go ahead and start beating the "give us an SDK" drum right now on DX4, if you guys don't mind...

--EDIT--
This, however, concerns me a bit:

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

It still sounds like they're focusing a bit too much on the "augs vs. no-augs" debate. There's a lot more going on in Deus Ex than transhumanism, EM.

Zerim
2nd Oct 2013, 20:34
If the devs will actually read this; here's what I've to say:

Please please PLEASE include a difficulty option that's SUPER hard.

DXHR is one of my top 10 games of all time, I love pretty much everything about it except the lack of difficulty.

That's all I have for you guys. You're an amazing team and I'm sure you'll produce something great once again. I respect your creative vision. As a fan of the original DX, I did have my doubts back when you were working on DXHR; I felt like my favorite franchise was in danger of being violated - thankfully that didn't happen, and now I know you're "on our side". I know you do listen to your fanbase, and this is why I'm writing this.

Again, please consider adding a difficulty mod that will make players use every little bit of their gaming skills to win and still struggle. Sort of like Dark Souls. Make items scarce. Make enemies more deadly. Make health lower and slower to regain. Lower the XP we get from performing actions. Make augs more expensive. Whatever you need to do, do it please. The only thing I dislike about Human Revolution is that it is WAAAAAY too easy even on the highest difficulty option. On my first playthrough ever, I played on Give Me Deus Ex and I beat the entire game ghosting every level while barely using ANY augs or items.

One of the biggest points of that game's story was; "How do augs change you? Are you willing to sacrifice more of your flesh and "humanity" to accomplish more"? And I didn't need ANY augs to accomplish pretty much everything in the game. That should still be possible to do, but it should be really difficult. Sort of beats the whole point otherwise.

Thank you.

EricaLeeV
2nd Oct 2013, 20:35
I actually find my own scores pretty similar to yours Pie. Crazy.

This, however, concerns me a bit:

It still sounds like they're focusing a bit too much on the "augs vs. no-augs" debate. There's a lot more going on in Deus Ex than transhumanism, EM.

Yeah, most definitely. The original game explored all kinds of themes.

Let's not focus on one thing again AND even more let's not just expand on a concept from the last game. Yes, I would like to see a continuation of it in some capacity but I don't want DX4 and related media to be centered around it.

THC 303
2nd Oct 2013, 20:37
because he's allowed to express his opinion and it's 100% relevant.

yeah he's not allowed to post off topic **** just to get a reaction out of the people who are excited for the next deus ex game

his opinion is also 0% relevant
1. because every thread on this board is pretty much already about how bad human revolution supposedly is
2. because deus ex human revolution is a critically and commercially acclaimed game and loved by critics and fans alike (aside from the "fans" who post here)

68_pie
2nd Oct 2013, 20:59
I actually find my own scores pretty similar to yours Pie. Crazy.

:eek:

yeah he's not allowed to post off topic **** just to get a reaction out of the people who are excited for the next deus ex game

If anything like that were true then Heresy would have been booted a long time ago. ;)

1. because every thread on this board is pretty much already about how bad human revolution supposedly is
2. because deus ex human revolution is a critically and commercially acclaimed game and loved by critics and fans alike (aside from the "fans" who post here)

Even if either of those things were true, neither of them make his opinion irrelevant.

A new DX game is announced --> people express interest or disinterest based on past experience.

Nothing wrong with that. Should we only express positivity at all times? We already have MyImmortal for that and one is enough.

HERESY
2nd Oct 2013, 21:06

/thread.

If anything like that were true then Heresy would have been booted a long time ago. ;)

I've never made an off topic post. Classic? Absolutely. Every single post. Off topic? Nope. See, you guys have to realize that this is a case of out with the old and in with the new. You need vision and you must understand that in order for Deus Ex to become a household name, a respected franchise and the rubric for all cyberpunk franchises or even just a measuring stick in gaming, it's going to have to branch out and tell its story in multiple ways and over multiple platforms. You CAN'T get around this. It's not EM's fault, it isn't Squares fault, it isn't anyone's fault and can be attributed to societal/cultural changes in the way we consume entertainment, what we demand from entertainment and how we use technology.

Wizd3m
2nd Oct 2013, 21:52
Wow, tough crowd! Oh well, I don't really mind the hate, and I know that I'm going against the grain in this forum. Since my opinion is apparently 0% relevant around here, guess it won't hurt if I add that I greatly disliked DX:HR and likely will the new Thief partly because of what 68_pie stated below.

It is also why I said I'd like to see EM do an original IP, so I can judge it as so. I'd explain specifically why I believe Deus Ex Human Revolution to be a weak "Deus Ex" game, but I don't think anyone here really cares. Guess I'm just sad to see these great franchises go in the direction that they are.

Karpaw
2nd Oct 2013, 22:04
And then brand dilution sets in, people get sick of the series due to overexposure and lack of quality control, publishers dig up another old property to "reboot for modern audiences, while respecting the DNA of the franchise" and the AAA business model gets one step closer to inevitable collapse.

Shralla
2nd Oct 2013, 22:25

Or plenty of fans posting on any number of other websites including YouTube, IGN, and facebook. You're just plugging your ears and covering your eyes if you seriously think that this forum holds the only dissatisfied fans.

MasterTaffer
2nd Oct 2013, 23:45
Everyone has a right to post here as long as they treat each other with respect and follow the ToU. This infighting amounts to nothing constructive, so discuss the game and not each other.

thenext0
2nd Oct 2013, 23:47
Didn't see this mentioned in this thread so far, so does anyone else think the two license plates are alluding to city hubs? Czech Republic and Quebec.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Military_Arms_of_Ostrava
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Montreal

Now I'm spending too much time analyzing everything else...but why would they give such a high res image if they didn't want us to?

I am pumped!

Shralla
2nd Oct 2013, 23:51
I imagine some Canadian location will be prominent in the next game since they had to cut the idea of the Montreal hub from Human Revolution.

Berr
3rd Oct 2013, 00:20
Make that 4.

Welcome aboard Fitzchiv :)

"true DXHR fan"
I'm not trying to elitist here! I'm just talking about the classic definition of a fan - someone who actually likes something.

I'd also like to call out CyperP and FrankCSIS as two regulars here who while they have criticisms of DXHR, are constructive about it and while I disagree with them often, I appreciate discussions with you guys. :wave:

Hi Master Taffer! Sorry, I went overboard. I'm not trying to say people shouldn't be allowed to post here. Just I can't understand why they'd want to. And when I saw the recent 'Praise Thread' get hijacked by some nasty abuse of DXHR and the Eidos Montreal team, kinda made me mad. Criticism is one thing, but overwhelming negativity pervading every part of the forum is another :(

68_pie
3rd Oct 2013, 00:29
I'm not trying to say people shouldn't be allowed to post here.

You sure about that?

To all the people who are openly expressing a broad/general dislike of DXHR: This ENTIRE FORUM is for DXHR fans. PLEASE LEAVE. Your continued presence here is just sad. DXHR haters - you're like squatters here. You don't belong. Go away and let the real DXHR fans enjoy themselves here.

Right...

Just I can't understand why they'd want to.

Because we are fans of Deus Ex and we want future Deus Ex games to be better. It's rather simple.

EricaLeeV
3rd Oct 2013, 00:41
Sorry, I went overboard. I'm not trying to say people shouldn't be allowed to post here. Just I can't understand why they'd want to. And when I saw the recent 'Praise Thread' get hijacked by some nasty abuse of DXHR and the Eidos Montreal team, kinda made me mad. Criticism is one thing, but overwhelming negativity pervading every part of the forum is another :(

Just because there are negative comments from posters here and there, it doesn't mean they hate the game. Go back and read some reviews by those forumites waaaay back when DXHR came out and see that many found a lot of good in that game.

I'm pretty sure the reason why many can say negative things about the game is because they know this is an outlet where their concerns might actually be read by people who actually have a hand at creating the next game(s).

Besides that, a lot of people here are fans of the original game and it's kind of a hang out spot for those fans specifically too. S'cool.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 00:54
Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This forum is supposed to be about DXHR not the relics.

You want to talk about the relics go to Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Deus Ex Series.

We shouldn't have to be blasted day in and day out about how HR, The Fall and the new game (which isn't even released yet) don't stack up to the originals. Constructive criticism is cool, opinions are encouraged, but the bashing and "Oh it doesn't live up to my expectations" stuff is old now. The problem is, people can't properly discuss the new game(s) because of the elitist attitude and the emotional attachment people have with the originals. Some of the same people requesting a new game are the same people bashing the announcement of a new game! HR has been out for what two years now? And a thread devoted to it's praise, which should have been made a long time ago (especially when you base it on reception and units sold) went south real quick. Why? Because of the elitist crowd and the mentality that games aren't **** unless they're some "immersive sim" that was pissed into the world by Warren Spector himself.

In closing, I'm not trying to be the mod here, but this forum isn't the place to crap on HR and sing praises to the relic. The following link will take you where you need to be. Enjoy: http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

EricaLeeV
3rd Oct 2013, 01:01
The people will congregate where they will and there is not much anyone can do about it.

Shralla
3rd Oct 2013, 01:20
Until there's a forum for discussion of Deus Ex 4, that discussion falls here. Regardless of whether or not we like Human Revolution, its merits and flaws are just as much a part of the discussion of the future of the series as the old ones are. We're not just standing around yapping about how great Deus Ex is. We're making comparisons and contrasts with Human Revolution in hopes of benefiting the series.

Personally, I have plenty of complaints about Human Revolution from a design standpoint that have absolutely nothing to do with comparisons to the original. Technical issues and bugs that were never fixed, etc. Yes I have the same issues everybody else does with comparisons to the original, and maybe we sound like broken records, but until we receive some sort of confirmation that our thoughts have been heard, understood, and taken into consideration, we're not really off-base in our repetition.

Snake04
3rd Oct 2013, 01:22
Yes what I was hoping for as long as this isn't that "you must play the ipad game to get the full story" crap then I'm happy. Thank you eidos montreal for listening to the fans well sort of but thanks look forward to new info.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 02:27
The people will congregate where they will and there is not much anyone can do about it.

There is a lot that can be done about it. Now if something is done about it remains to be seen but there is a lot that can be done. And it is only in THIS forum where people who claim to be fans are taking a **** on the game. Go read ign and all the other forums and you'll see people are excited. Here? Madness.

nomotog
3rd Oct 2013, 02:30
Is it too early to start arguing about third person cover again? :P It's nice we are getting a new DX game, but I can't get excited/angry or anything till we actually know something about it.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 03:06
There is a lot that can be done about it. Now if something is done about it remains to be seen but there is a lot that can be done. And it is only in THIS forum where people who claim to be fans are taking a **** on the game. Go read ign and all the other forums and you'll see people are excited. Here? Madness.

False. I'm seeing a mixed response to this news everywhere.
Myself, as long as DX4 itself is truly amazing I can ignore all the transmedia without getting upset. I am a little excited but am not yet convinced DX4 will be the Deus Ex game I desperately want, though if it is just a Human Revolution 2 I'd still play and enjoy it, then offer constructive criticism with a touch of moaning here afterward ;)

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 03:52
False. I'm seeing a mixed response to this news everywhere.
Myself, as long as DX4 itself is truly amazing I can ignore all the transmedia without getting upset. I am a little excited but am not yet convinced DX4 will be the Deus Ex game I desperately want, though if it is just a Human Revolution 2 I'd still play and enjoy it, then offer constructive criticism with a touch of moaning here afterward ;)

Actually what I said is 100% correct. You need to read what I said again and properly understand it.

You, and others like you, place yourselves in bondage because you desperately want something to be a carbon copy of the original. It simply isn't going to happen. Thats like saying you want music today to sound like music from the 50's to 70's. It ain't gonna happen. Different times, different gear, different communities, different takes on life, etc. This is what I try to get you people (and those in the Thief forum) to understand. Content creation is NOT as simple as you think it is. It never has been and never will be, so you pretty much have to do what I've said in many of my classic posts.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 03:56
Actually what I said is 100% correct. You need to read what I said again and properly understand it.

You, and others like you, place yourselves in bondage because you desperately want something to be a carbon copy of the original. It simply isn't going to happen. Thats like saying you want music today to sound like music from the 50's to 70's. It ain't gonna happen. Different times, different gear, different communities, different takes on life, etc. This is what I try to get you people (and those in the Thief forum) to understand. Content creation is NOT as simple as you think it is. It never has been and never will be, so you pretty much have to do what I've said in many of my classic posts.

Sigh, quit the trolling routine now, nobody wants a carbon copy. We want "Deus Ex on a whole new level". I have plenty of ideas, but I don't have the manpower nor the budget :(

Who said content creation was easy? Game development is a very demanding process.

And your take on life sucks. Shouldn't you be chasing paper, not preaching to the choir anyway?

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 04:03
Sigh, quit the trolling routine now, nobody wants a carbon copy. We want "Deus Ex on a whole new level". I have half the ideas, but I don't have the manpower nor the budget :(

Who said content creation was easy? Game development is a very demanding process.

Cyber, what exactly is "Deus Ex on a whole new level?"

If you don't have the manpower or budget you need to do what I told you to do in a couple of classics. Start your own team, man. You are NOT going to have ANY peace or be content as long as you see people making money from what you feel you should be making money from and releasing product that you feel is inferior to yours or what you're capable of. Trust me, you will NEVER have peace unless you go all out. If I were you, I'd assemble a team of like minded individuals, get the paperwork in order and start a small team developing for mobile markets. From there you guys should take any and all monies and pour them back into the company. Eat beans and crackers if you must, work 20 hours a day, forsake your kids and family (but not your pets) and go all out.

What do you think the creators of ED did? What do you think EM is doing? Game development is a demeaning process but the problem is the fans are only concerned about the demands they have and the end result. The road to get there? Not so much.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 04:08
If you don't have the manpower or budget you need to do what I told you to do in a couple of classics. Start your own team, man. You are NOT going to have ANY peace or be content as long as you see people making money from what you feel you should be making money from and releasing product that you feel is inferior to yours or what you're capable of. Trust me, you will NEVER have peace unless you go all out. If I were you, I'd assemble a team of like minded individuals, get the paperwork in order and start a small team developing for mobile markets. From there you guys should take any and all monies and pour them back into the company. Eat beans and crackers if you must, work 20 hours a day, forsake your kids and family (but not your pets) and go all out.

What do you think the creators of ED did? What do you think EM is doing? Game development is a demeaning process but the problem is the fans are only concerned about the demands they have and the end result. The road to get there? Not so much.

That's solid advice there, HERESY. I may or may not already be one step ahead of you :thumb:

Cyber, what exactly is "Deus Ex on a whole new level?"

A Deus Ex game built on the same principles as the first but all content fine-tuned & expanded on, new worthy gameplay innovations and expanded storytelling. More immersive and in-depth than ever before. Highly believable & reactive AI and decent enough graphical fidelity (2006's standards would be fine by me tbh)... a project for insane people.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 04:14
That's solid advice there, HERESY. I may or may not already be one step ahead of you :thumb:

Know this, that no matter the disagreements or difference in opinions, I REALLY do want people to succeed in their goals, aspirations, dreams etc. That goes for you and everyone else here. You have to make an impact some way, some how or no one will remember your name. So do what you want, make the sacrifice, gather the right team (I can't stress this enough) and the hard work will pay off.

A Deus Ex game built on the same principles as the first but all content fine-tuned & expanded on, new worthy gameplay innovations and expanded storytelling. More immersive and in-depth than ever before. Everything refined, a project for insane people.

Take heed to the bold. That is why you guys won't get what you're asking for. I keep pointing this out and you guys really need to look into it because it all impacts your final product. Society, need/desire to see a change, company culture and team synergy. All of these are the reason you have ED. Why did the original teams make the games in the first place? Aside from money, they saw something they didn't like (or saw something the industry lacked) and took the steps to change it. They understood the culture of the world they lived in, how consumers consumed media, and relied on the expertise of knowing their tools so inside an out that you could probably wake them from sleep and they could rattle of whatever they need to rattle off.

Different times man. Different era. Different team. This is why you won't see a game like ED. Not because they don't care or because they aren't listening, it's because the playing field is different now.

pirate1802
3rd Oct 2013, 04:16
Or plenty of fans posting on any number of other websites including YouTube, IGN, and facebook. You're just plugging your ears and covering your eyes if you seriously think that this forum holds the only dissatisfied fans.

Funny that you mention these sites. Yes there are recurring complaints regarding boss battles and the ending sequence. But only after coming to these parts did I know that the game was a terrible disservice to the franchise! A horrible game etc etc. That level of dissatisfaction I'm only seeing here mostly.

Make that 4. Couldn't care less who comes, goes, posts or not however. Each to their own.

Add me in there. :D

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 04:38
Different times man. Different era. Different team. This is why you won't see a game like ED. Not because they don't care or because they aren't listening, it's because the playing field is different now.

That's not true, false beliefs! Again, DX:HR itself is still very similar to DX1, streamlined some, yes, but it's still way more in-depth than the average game and offers a fair challenge. Fallout: New Vegas is an old school-style hardcore PC RPG (that also sold well on consoles). Dark Souls is an old school hardcore console RPG (that also sold well on PC's).
Yes, things have changed, but for the worse. Most players on the field are doing it wrong. Make good games, they WILL sell. Seriously, of the few good AA or AAA games in recent years, have any not sold well? Many people have internet now and word of mouth is even more effective than ever before.
Far Cry 3 did very well, and even I enjoyed that one (7.8/10)

Why is GTAV so popular? Primarily, I'd say it is it's depth. It promises a huge world that offers a lot of freedom, as well as the past games in the series have mostly all been good gave it all it's hype. Square Enix have the latter, they are all over many already established IP's, they just need to make good games.

Take heed to the bold.

I meant insane only because it would be a lot of work.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 05:04
That's not true, false beliefs! Again, DX:HR itself is still very similar to DX1, streamlined some, yes, but it's still way more in-depth than the average game and offers a fair challenge. Fallout: New Vegas is a old school-style hardcore PC RPG (that also sold well on consoles). Dark Souls is an old school hardcore console RPG (that also sold well on PC's).
Yes, things have changed, but for the worse. Most players on the field are doing it wrong. Make good games, they WILL sell. Seriously, of the few good AA or AAA games in recent years, have any not sold well?
Far Cry 3 did very well, and even I enjoyed that one (7.8/10)

Why is GTAV so popular? Primarily, I'd say it is it's depth. It promises a huge world that offers a lot of freedom.

No, it's true. What you guys want is the vibe and feel of the original. This can't be replicated because you're dealing with a different team, in a different time, with a different set of tools. What they did was more "organic" due to the things I previously mentioned it. The vibe, the synergy, is what allows a group of people to work and create something unique. Mot to say that what EM did wasn't unique, it is, but it can't compare to the original because there are too many nuances and things that simply can't be replicated. As far as good games selling, there are a lot of titles that should have sold well but didn't. I'll always go back to this but the most underrated masterpiece of the modern era probably goes to Okami. In fact, it is actually in The Guiness World Records for being "least commercially successful winner of a game of the year award." As for selling well, I don't think Gears: Judgement sold well. I think they just cracked one million.

Why is GTAV popular? Because it's a modern day spin on cops and robbers and people identify with that. That's it.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 05:15
No, it's true. What you guys want is the vibe and feel of the original

You are way off the mark, silly. The original is clunky at times due to the dated engine (feel) and other things, atmosphere is good (vibe), but so is Human Revolution's and hundreds of other games out there.

I'll always go back to this but the most underrated masterpiece of the modern era probably goes to Okami.

2006. The industry hadn't grown to what it is now, nor the internet. Furthermore It was a Playstation 2-only release and didn't reach Europe or NA until after the Xbox 360 & PS3's release.

Is it even any good? I will judge for myself one day. I hear ravings from time to time, but never from any credible sources ;)
I will be judging gameplay first and foremost, since it is a game.

As for selling well, I don't think Gears: Judgement sold well. I think they just cracked one million.

That's way more than it deserved. I asked for good games that didn't sell well. Besides, it still certainly turned a profit.

Why is GTAV popular? Because it's a modern day spin on cops and robbers and people identify with that. That's it.

That would be one reason, but yes, it could be the primary reason if we look at PAYDAY 2, which also did very well whilst merely being cookie-cutter.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 05:36
You are way off the mark, silly. The original is clunky at times due to the dated engine (feel), atmosphere is good (vibe), but so is Human Revolution's.

Nope. You don't get it. The feel and vibe is the WOW factor that makes YOU, the player, get goose bumps and believe this is the greatest game ever created. This CANNOT be replicated by the press of a button or a combination of buttons. For that "magic" to happen everything has to feel right. Everything has to be right. The original team had a reason to make the game(s) they made. This team?

Take one song from your favorite music artist or band. Listen to it once. Now go and listen to covers of that same song. Notice anything different? The small things aren't there, the nuances aren't there, the mistakes aren't there, the driving force that created that record in the first place is simply not there. And guess what? Technically, the cover could be "better" in that it is better recorded, better playing techniques, etc. Does it make it better? How does it make you feel?

2006. The industry hadn't grown to what it is now, nor the internet. Furthermore It was a Playstation 2-only release and didn't reach Europe or NA until after the Xbox 360 & PS3's release.

Even though it was released in 06 it wasn't hampered by the next gen cycle as the next gen consoles hand't taken root yet and PS2 was still bringing in money. Also, the art style was unique so it didn't have the last gen look like one would come to expect.

Is it even any good? I will judge for mysellf one day. I hear ravinbgs from time to time, but never from any credible sources ;)

If I say a game is good it is good. If I say it is great it is great. If I say it is "can, dust or garbage" it is as I said it. This can never be disputed. Okami is great. End of discussion.

That's way more than it deserved. I asked for good games that didn't sell well. Besides, it still probably turned a profit.

Well the reviews were good. I don't think it turned a profit. Even though they recycled assets they had marketing, advertising, licensing, voice work and payroll for however long it took to make the game. I think they were in the red with this one.

That would be one reason, but yes, it could be the primary reason if we look at PAYDAY 2, which also did very well whilst being merely cookie-cutter.

I can't speak on PD2 as I did not play it and it didn't pop up on my radar until recently.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 05:42
Nope. You don't get it. The feel and vibe is the WOW factor that makes YOU, the player, get goose bumps and believe this is the greatest game ever created. This CANNOT be replicated by the press of a button or a combination of buttons. For that "magic" to happen everything has to feel right. Everything has to be right. The original team had a reason to make the game(s) they made. This team?

There is no "magic", it's not witchcraft. It's a combination of great design ideas, gameplay, level design, storytelling and writing, music etc. This combination can and has been recreated before in all the best immersive sims. Sure, they are all different, have a different vibe, wow you in different ways, but they all share those similar genius design principles. I want that design taken to the next level.

If I say a game is good it is good. If I say it is great it is great. If I say it is "can, dust or garbage" it is as I said it. This can never be disputed. Okami is great. End of discussion.

Not a credible source :p

SpecX
3rd Oct 2013, 06:03
An ongoing, expanding, and connected game world built across a generation of core games.

I think it will have all the three protagonists playable with the game longer than all the previous three games and divided into different years for it.

HERESY
3rd Oct 2013, 06:43
There is no "magic", it's not witchcraft. It's a combination of great design ideas, gameplay, level design, storytelling and writing, music etc.

If you want to make any money in the entertainment industry you better become familiar with the lingo and understand when and why it is used. Everything you just listed is NOTHING unless the vibe is there. Those design principals? Nothing unless the right team with the right vision and the talent to execute comes together. You're feeding off each other, creatively, mentally/emotionally, etc. You're driving each other, pushing each other and you're coming up with a lot of "AH HA" moments. How do you get "great" this or "great" that? You think these things simply fall out of the sky? Content creation and creativity does NOT work like this.

This combination can and has been recreated before in all the best immersive sims.

The end result is NOT the same. It isn't a matter of looking at a chart and crossing off things from the list. A company can do everything you just listed but that doesn't mean the game will be good, accepted, etc. It could be all of that but fail because it was released at the wrong time. What I mean by that is at a time society is moving towards something else in regards to culture, fads and trends. Those other immersive sims? LOL@the word, but those other ones? They don't offer the same experience, just like ED doesn't offer the same experience as they do. They can't and they never will. It's really no different from addiction really. You want a certain thing and you'll do everything you can to relive that moment again. Sadly, you'll never experience that feeling of euphoria again. No matter how long you wait, how much money you spend, how much you do whatever, you WON'T relive that moment. It's gone.

Sure, they are all different, have a different vibe, wow you in different ways, but they all share those similar genius design principles. I want that design taken to the next level.

See above. In order to get to those things the first components need to be there.

Not a credible source :p

The ONLY source.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 06:50
Everything you just listed is NOTHING unless the vibe is there.

HERESY, buddy, the design is everything and of course teamwork plays a part in that, I never said it did not. I have no idea why you went off on some strange lecture. Sure, most of it was accurate but you wasted your time, why would I not know these things?

It isn't a matter of looking at a chart and crossing off things from the list.

When did I imply that this is what game development entails? Are you OK? And I thought "ED" was merely a "relic", not worthy of your time?

The ONLY source.

Right.

DXeXodus
3rd Oct 2013, 07:34
This is very exciting news! I for one am very intrigued to see where they go with this...

JCpies
3rd Oct 2013, 08:12
Is it time to start ranting about regen health yet?

THC 303
3rd Oct 2013, 09:25
it was perfectly fine how they did it in HR

Shralla
3rd Oct 2013, 09:27
See, there's already a disagreement. I think that the "bubble" system they used for the energy would have been put to much better use as a health system, if they had to get rid of localized damage and have some form of regen.

Lucifer
3rd Oct 2013, 10:14
http://www.grgzone.com/games/deusex/bob_page.jpgPeople what do you want money?I can give you the entire company just forget about that last reactor.

CyberP
3rd Oct 2013, 14:11
it was perfectly fine how they did it in HR

It was OK, still some depth and challenge considering, but localized health is just plain better as it open ups more tactical options, more resource consumption choices, and crippled limbs result in cool and realistic effects...more thought required and more gameplay depth....and DX1's localized health system could do with a makeover, advancements.

http://www.grgzone.com/games/deusex/bob_page.jpgPeople what do you want money?I can give you the entire company just forget about that last reactor.

If I had your power, Bob.....

Snake04
3rd Oct 2013, 15:26
My take on the health regen in HR is that it sucked.. localised damage or if not at least something like shralla said. The energy meter was also crap, I would prefer something like deus ex you know a bar that depletes and you have to recharge the thing. Keypads if you are given the code via pocket secretary it should not! Display the code on the keypad, make the player memorise it from the pocket secretary before entering it. Finally remove ALL! The third person stuff keep it first person and remove the cover system put in the ability to lean or at least a first person cover system.

nomotog
3rd Oct 2013, 15:38
See, there's already a disagreement. I think that the "bubble" system they used for the energy would have been put to much better use as a health system, if they had to get rid of localized damage and have some form of regen.

What if we just add in localized damage? Maybe localized armor. I think I have a system framed out somewhere.

Ashpolt
3rd Oct 2013, 16:09
So, good news and bad news here.

The good: More Deus Ex! And not just one game, several! David Anfossi actually told me at E3 that there were several new Deus Ex games in the works (at least at the planning stage, some further along), but I kind of thought he was winding me up. It's nice to not have to bite my tongue any more! It's also good to hear them reaffirm their commitment to PC and the next-gen of consoles, and blimmin' great to hear that this isn't an MMO.

Oh also: blue! Hooray! I hope the blue isn't as all-encompassing as gold was in DXHR though: a more varied colour palette would be very welcome, please.

The bad: Unfortunately, I probably won't care about a fair chunk of the new content. I've played The Fall, and (as I've said elsewhere) while it's a very admirable attempt to bring Deus Ex to phones / tablets, I don't want to play Deus Ex on phones / tablets: the style of game simply doesn't suit those platforms. I might read some of the tie in comics / novels, and if they decide to make a full DX game on Vita I'll be there like a shot, but the phone / tablet side of this "universe" holds very little interest for me.

And an additional point...

The potential: EM want to bring Deus Ex to a wider market: we know that, it's established. But now they've got a new avenue to do that, with the mobile games. Bearing that in mind, can was please see the core game(s) swing further back towards the (inverted commas a go-go) "hardcore", please? Unfortunately though, Jean-Francois Dugas already confirmed to me that they won't be moving back away from regenerating health* but maybe lean keys? A better XP system? Proper melee? Far, far less reliance on third person? Having an entirely separate "casual" branch of Deus Ex games could really liberate the design for the core games, so let's hope EM make the best of this opportunity.

*Of course, this was a few months ago, and said during a personal conversation rather than a formal one: this may have changed, so don't take it as an official announcement until EM officially announce it, but more than likely it won't change.

68_pie
3rd Oct 2013, 16:14
Unfortunately though, Jean-Francois Dugas already confirmed to me that they won't be moving back away from regenerating health

Ash, everytime you dole out these tidbits you kill me a little more. I'd rather get all the bad news in one go.

Did he at least give you a non-bull**** reason?

El_Bel
3rd Oct 2013, 16:54
Lets not forget this time that Deus Ex needs actual cool conspirecy theories and NOT another romance plot?

Like FEMA camp: Good.
Save Megan: Bad.

Maybe hire deadeye as a consultant?

Lucifer
3rd Oct 2013, 17:17
I would like too see Knights Templars in next Deus Ex ,cool groups for cool conspirecy theories .The Omar from DX 2 were cool too.

Snake04
3rd Oct 2013, 18:53
Yes! None of that love story "got to save my ex crap" to be honest when I played HR I choose the negative options when it came to talking about megan.

Lucifer
3rd Oct 2013, 19:14
I agree that was embarrassing for players.

JCpies
3rd Oct 2013, 19:20
I didn't mind the "saving megan" plot, I thought she was alive but being used as one of the living drones so it would be tragedy. Turns out it wasn't so much a tragedy, but still not the "lovey dovey" ending people expected. It was sort of rushed and alienating.

I still can't figure out the HR ending. Barring the ending cinematic I thought it was all rather unsatisfying and detached from the rest of the game, at least, beyond Singapore.

Shralla
3rd Oct 2013, 19:48
I remember Mary DeMarle hyping up a scene from The Darkness where you're just sitting on the couch and watching tv with your girlfriend. She said she liked it because it showed the player why they should care about her. Interestingly enough, nothing like this made it into Human Revolution. We were just told why we should care throughout the whole game.

WildcatPhoenix
3rd Oct 2013, 20:04
I think EM made a conscious and deliberate decision to "go small" with the story of DXHR. This was the origin story of Adam Jensen, and the Megan Reed plot device was really thrown in to give shape to EM's new hero. It was thinly-written, thinly-conceived, and cliche beyond all belief (seriously, does every single protagonist have to be on some "they took everything from me" quest for vengeance/answers these days?).

This time around, I would expect EM to open up the story a bit. They showed only brief glimpses of the Illuminati in DXHR. The big MJ12 coup and schism within the Illuminati should be coming up fairly soon in the timeline. Those could be some very exciting events to experience, even if in the beginning they are largely taking place in the background. Not to mention all the natural (or are they?) disasters, plague epidemics, and wars that turn the bright n' shiny world of DXHR into the grungy, decaying, edge-of-the-apocalypse mess of DX1.

Ashpolt
3rd Oct 2013, 21:21
Did he at least give you a non-bull**** reason?

His reason is, quite simply, that he believes health regen was the correct move. We can disagree as much as we like, but he genuinely sticks by his design decision, and that's why we won't be seeing a change.

As much as I dislike this - and I do! - I've got to (begrudgingly) respect JFD for staying true to what he believes. It takes a strong will to do so in the face of such vocal dissent.

And you don't have to worry about any more bad news, at least not that I know about. Save one little tidbit regarding the name(s) for upcoming game(s) which is neither good nor bad (and I probably shouldn't talk about anyway) this announcement pretty much covers all of what little info I was able to tease out of them.

68_pie
3rd Oct 2013, 21:44
His reason is, quite simply, that he believes health regen was the correct move. We can disagree as much as we like, but he genuinely sticks by his design decision, and that's why we won't be seeing a change.

So he still believes that without health regen we would all be "backtracking for medkits"? Wonderful.

As much as I dislike this - and I do! - I've got to (begrudgingly) respect JFD for staying true to what he believes. It takes a strong will to do so in the face of such vocal dissent.

He supposedly believed in highlighting too...

And you don't have to worry about any more bad news, at least not that I know about. Save one little tidbit regarding the name(s) for upcoming game(s) which is neither good nor bad (and I probably shouldn't talk about anyway) this announcement pretty much covers all of what little info I was able to tease out of them.

In terms of the name, it can't be worse than "Human Revolution" [he writes, hopefully].

Tverdyj
3rd Oct 2013, 21:51
Can we please get a good physics engine this time?

And have less generic NPCs, but have them all saying something interesting? Like not having 2 identical girls on each exit of the Detroit subway complaining that when they get home their boyfriend will be mad at them?

Oh, and please give us a player character who’s not a complete, lovesick moron. For the love of god.

Also: balance XP and bring back melee combat.

DO keep hacking. and conversation battles. And the good level design of places like “the rooftop district” in Hengsha (I think it was actually called Yuzhao, but I’ve spent most of my time hopping on rooftop with ILS to make sure I don’t die, so I’m not sure).

oh, and please don’t outsource your boss battles to people whose idea of “different approaches” amounts to “We have to make sure this boss could be defeated in different ways. It must be fun to do with a shotgun OR with an assault rifle!”

kthanksbai

Spades
3rd Oct 2013, 22:55
I hope they find a way to make every aug useful this time. Most of the Stealth Enhancer tree in HR was useless imo.

I mean all I really needed for a stealth run with augs was cloaking, fully upgraded hacking, typhoon and smart vision.

FrankCSIS
3rd Oct 2013, 23:45
Problem: I'm worried such a large span of platforms makes it significantly harder to ensure no important content is lost for those who cannot/will not follow all platforms. It's one thing to experiment with a tie-in novel and mobile game. But this, this is a whole universe they're building, so to speak, and all coming from the same source. The balance between exclusive and redundant will be very difficult to achieve, even for the most skilled franchiser.

Speculation: Czech Republic is almost definitely a go. The license plate is a good hint (haven't made sense of the numbers yet), but it's the beggars that are a dead giveaway. Their pose is very distinctive. I've seen tons of them in Prague, and I'm guessing a Montrealer on the team was impressed by a similar sight either on a personal trip, or during HR's promotion.

But now they've got a new avenue to do that, with the mobile games. Bearing that in mind, can was please see the core game(s) swing further back towards the (inverted commas a go-go) "hardcore", please?

This makes perfect, genuine sense. The segregation we have begun to see between mobile and "traditional" gaming is a perfect excuse to establish a stronger identity for pc and console games. It would be a mistake, I think, to attempt to bridge mobile with pc/console, by leveling the design to somewhat of a common ground. This will be yet another immense challenge for this whole Universe endeavor.

Berr
3rd Oct 2013, 23:53
I remember Mary DeMarle hyping up a scene from The Darkness where you're just sitting on the couch and watching tv with your girlfriend. She said she liked it because it showed the player why they should care about her. Interestingly enough, nothing like this made it into Human Revolution. We were just told why we should care throughout the whole game.

What about Adam's apartment? I thought it was a masterpiece of show-not-tell and I know they put a lot of effort into it.

Shralla
4th Oct 2013, 01:03
I meant just as far as the relationship between Adam and Megan went. With her talking so highly about that particular scene, I figured we'd get something similar for the relationship in Human Revolution, but we didn't get any such thing.

Berr
4th Oct 2013, 02:51
I meant just as far as the relationship between Adam and Megan went. With her talking so highly about that particular scene, I figured we'd get something similar for the relationship in Human Revolution, but we didn't get any such thing.

Yeah fair call. The opening sequence gave us a bit of Adam and Megan's relationship, with the memorabilia in his office and the awkward elevator sequence. But yeah, it was all too brief.

Spades
4th Oct 2013, 04:42
The Megan-Adam part of HR's story was the worst.

Shralla
4th Oct 2013, 04:56
It certainly seems to be the general consensus that the Megan part of the story was the weakest part. I see JC Denton kinda like Agent Mulder. Sure he may or may not have feelings for some of the women around him, but his only personal quest is for the Truth.

Berr
4th Oct 2013, 07:49
Yeah I agree the storyline relating to Megan wasn't great. At the start more history and/or interaction between them would have been great. And by the time you catch up with Megan later, would have been nice for some options to play as Adam reacting more strongly, because she is seriously messed up.

WildcatPhoenix
4th Oct 2013, 14:20
If we'd been given enough time to care about Megan, see her demonstrate some attachment to Adam, show some emotions beyond general annoyance, then her "death" and subsequent return at the end of the game would've had much more impact.

Imagine if she'd been around as long as Paul in DX1. Imagine if she was hanging around Sarif Industries in between missions, giving you instructions over the infolink, etc. She could've visibly been conflicted by the secrets she was keeping and her continued concern for Adam.

And then BOOM, Sarif Industries gets attacked. Not only would you have cared more about Megan's fate, you would've seen the damage done to your "home base" and all the people working there. You would've wanted to know what she was hiding, wanted to know who killed her and why, instead of just being told by the game designers "you really loved this person so you should care about her."

JCpies
4th Oct 2013, 14:27
I still feel bad for the guys that did the boss battles.

I liked the boss battles, but their biggest problem was still the fact that they were compulsory and too straightforward.

Snake04
4th Oct 2013, 16:12
Deus ex 4 = Deus Ex Human Evolution....
I hope that's not the name. Anyway they really need to make the story stronger cause HR seriously had a lot of weak points.... I still don't get the ending or anything after singapore. What I've noticed is I've played HR on ps3 and pc and the games third person crap and regen etc etc seems to fit the console more then pc. All I hope is DX4's pc version is better.

EricaLeeV
4th Oct 2013, 16:22

You've got me curious. Time to guess the next title based on these feelings.

Deus Ex: Identity
Deus Ex: Uprising
Deus Ex: Revolt
Deus Ex: Coup d'├ętat
Deus Ex: Division
Deus Ex: End

Deus Ex: The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
Deus Ex: Secret Happenings
Deus Ex: Hot Tub Time Machine
Deus Ex: Electric Boogaloo
Deus Ex: Full Life Consequences

Deus ex 4 = Deus Ex Human Evolution....
I hope that's not the name.

That's a good guess too!

Shaikh
4th Oct 2013, 16:45
This and half life 3 confirmation (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688711) on the same day?
Whut?
Happy times
Half Life 3 may come in 03-03-3333, you may never know Gabe. ;)

Snake04
4th Oct 2013, 17:14
You've got me curious. Time to guess the next title based on these feelings.

Deus Ex: Identity
Deus Ex: Uprising
Deus Ex: Revolt
Deus Ex: Coup d'├ętat
Deus Ex: Division
Deus Ex: End

Deus Ex: The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
Deus Ex: Secret Happenings
Deus Ex: Hot Tub Time Machine
Deus Ex: Electric Boogaloo

That's a good guess too!

All names I hope DX4 isn't called.

EricaLeeV
4th Oct 2013, 17:19
All names I hope DX4 isn't called.

Same here, but would I really say no to Deus Ex: Hot Tub Time Machine?

Shralla
4th Oct 2013, 17:41
I'm down for Electric Boogaloo.

68_pie
4th Oct 2013, 17:56
I'm down for Electric Boogaloo.

I thought that was only for the second game in a series?

I thought it always went like this:

Deus Ex

Deus Ex 2: Electric Boogaloo

Deus Ex 3: With a Vengeance

Deus Ex 4: Ghost Protocol

:scratch:

Shaikh
5th Oct 2013, 05:06
I find this Universe title awkward. Is it confirmed that Deus Ex 4 is called 'Universe'? :scratch:

Whut?
Happy times
And to update the news, Half Life 3 trademark was fake (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691085). ;)

ZakKa89
5th Oct 2013, 11:10
And to update the news, Half Life 3 trademark was fake (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691085). ;)

the jira lsiting was real though

Cyberhuman
5th Oct 2013, 16:38
Amazing!

The Deus Ex franchise has a future!

I love it :D

Shralla
5th Oct 2013, 19:51
Was that ever in question? The only question in my mind was to the quality of said future.

Doom972
5th Oct 2013, 22:47
Deus Ex Universe just sounds like them selling out and milking this franchise to death. Too early to tell though. Hopefully I'm wrong.

IDAFT
5th Oct 2013, 23:07
I can't see vehicles fitting in, even in cinematic gameplay elements, while they work in other games, it'll make DE4 look like a douchey hollywood movie. It'll be good, if the next game is Open World, but it should be discovered by foot, like AC2.

As for the technical stuff, that will come naturally, so I wouldn't worry guys.

I find this Universe title awkward. Is it confirmed that Deus Ex 4 is called 'Universe'? :scratch:

Nah, mate! Universe is the name for the whole collection, they still haven't decided a name for DE4.

Shralla
6th Oct 2013, 02:10

It's really like nobody knows how to read anymore. They all just read the title of the articles saying "Deus Ex Universe Announced" and assume it's the name of a new game. I've seen similar posts on the comments sections of said articles. I mean sure, EM could have picked a better title for this "project" but if you actually read the announcement or any of the articles, it spells out what it is.

Cyberhuman
6th Oct 2013, 02:17
Was that ever in question? The only question in my mind was to the quality of said future.

I'm with you on that one. This all reminds me of Star Wars and the original trilogy vs the prequel trilogy. Many people could never embrace the new Star Wars, while others welcomed it.

I just hope they don't trivialise it, which has a tendency to happen when you want to appeal to an ever wider audience.

Shralla
6th Oct 2013, 02:19
This all reminds me of Star Wars

I don't wanna talk about it.

Cyberhuman
6th Oct 2013, 02:22
I don't wanna talk about it.

Lol, I understand ;)

WildcatPhoenix
6th Oct 2013, 15:53
I just hope they don't trivialise it, which has a tendency to happen when you want to appeal to an ever wider audience.

I think this is a major source of conflict within the gaming industry in general. Higher levels of investment carry with them expectations of greater returns, and to achieve those kinds of blockbuster, CoD/Halo/GTA levels of returns the developers must make games appealing to as wide a customer base as possible. Risk goes out the window, familiarity and "proven formulas" become the norm.

And that's how you wind up with a Deus Ex game with third-person cover/waist-high walls, objective markers, cinematic takedowns, mid-mission cutscenes, no skill system, and bullet-sponge boss battles.

Ashpolt
6th Oct 2013, 23:38

Damn, you guessed it! Oh well, know the cat's out of the bag, I may as well reveal that Deus Ex 5 will be called Deus Ex: Repercussions of Evil. Spoilers: Adam is a zombie.

(Seriously though, your list made me chuckle. Good job!)

[EDIT] Also, I am ~90% sure Deus Ex Universe is the title for the collective upcoming Deus Ex "experience", and not for any particular game, novel, comic etc.

JCpies
7th Oct 2013, 13:07
That's actually wrong Ashpolt, didn't you see the cover art?