PDA

View Full Version : Is FINAL FANTASY VII your first game in the series?

Popcicle
28th Aug 2012, 18:31
A lot of people I've spoken to have said that FINAL FANTASY VII is the first game that got them interested in the series. Coming from someone who was introduced to the series with the first entry, I've always found the generational differences between players of FINAL FANTASY pretty fascinating! I'd love to hear your opinions of FINAL FANTASY VII and what it has meant to you as the first game that got you into the series.

member_10024934
28th Aug 2012, 20:25
Final Fantasy VII actually changed my life. I was introduced to it after my grandfather passed away eight years ago and it was my first Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy VII made me a happy person again! The story of my first time playing it is pretty hilarious and my oldest sister horribly regrets it now. :D

Eight years and many Final Fantasys later... Everyone knows which one is still my favorite. :)

member_10525333
28th Aug 2012, 21:46
FFVII was my first introduction to the series as well. My brother and I got the original PC version in 98 and were hooked from the first fmv. He would play and I would watch, it was awesome! And then my Mom threw it away because thats all we were doing LOL.. we were pissssseddd

Timmei
28th Aug 2012, 22:18
VII was my first Final Fantasy, and probably the first video game I ever had any urge to beat! I was a mere 4 years old when my dad came home with a PlayStation and this unusual game called Final Fantasy VII. I was more interested in the original Nintendo at the time, which my dad had given to me so I could Super Mario Bros. I quickly forgot about that system though and loved watching my dad play VII, even though a lot of the story was over my head. The first time I got to play it wasn't much; my older sister and I walked around Aerith's house, and loved the fact of how cute the inside and outside were.

My dad eventually sold the system because he didn't play it. (And my sister and I erased the data he had which was saved in the Northern Crater... Opps.) When I was 7, I finally got a PlayStation of my own with FF VII and was so excited to play it, and to say the least, the game surprised me at every turn. It has forever become one of my favorite video games, and possibly my favorite FF. What can I say, I grew up with it! :)

member_10239333
28th Aug 2012, 22:41
My first Final Fantasy was Mystic Quest, but then I jumped to VII and imagine how amazed I was when I first played it (enjoyed Mystic Quest a lot and its considered subpar by many, still its one of my favorites).

I still treasure my FFVII PC disks even if they are worthless now, wish I had the psx version instead.

amberfire365
28th Aug 2012, 22:59
I would have to say the first time I was introduced to the Final Fantasy series was the Game Boy Advance version of Final Fantasy VI because a friend of mine was playing it on the school bus on the way home from high school, but it was VII that made me fall in love with the series and I finally got to play it when I got my PS3 and a PSN account and pretty much downloaded it from the PSN the next day. From then on I have been a really big fan of Final Fantasy and I have the goal to play everyone of the games that have been made.

Quadocky
29th Aug 2012, 10:08
Kinda, I knew about the others. I saw FF3 on the SNES first.

Though this is probably the first Final Fantasy I have played. (the PC version that is)

I love it so much because it got me interested in the world of Digital Music and MIDI synth. Without this game I probably wouldn't have been interested in it at all.

The S-YXG70 was a godsend.

I never liked the Playstation version, the PC version of any Final Fantasy is my favorite.

LennethLionK3
29th Aug 2012, 10:27
I've been playing games since nintendo was popular, but FF7 was my 1st experience in the series. I got it, not knowing what it was or what to expect. I didn't even know what a rpg was. I can't remember my reaction to the game, but I remember playing it nonstop over summer break. It definatly led me to FF8, which led me to my love for the series in general.

xianhatesyou
29th Aug 2012, 21:10
Final Fantasy (1) for NES. Bessssst ever.

Saria3
29th Aug 2012, 21:45
Final Fantasy VII was my first exposure to the series, I watched my brother play through most of it in our living room. I myself didn't play until he bought Final Fantasy VIII - I started that almost instantly and found myself upset that it wasn't Cloud and the gang (not understanding that the next number didn't mean a direct sequal). I then played through the series in order of release 'til about X-2 and finally got a copy of VII and played it on my own. I have never played any of the titles before 7, but am greatly interested - if only I had more time for games :)

Dolmen10
29th Aug 2012, 22:47
A lot of people I've spoken to have said that FINAL FANTASY VII is the first game that got them interested in the series. Coming from someone who was introduced to the series with the first entry, I've always found the generational differences between players of FINAL FANTASY pretty fascinating! I'd love to hear your opinions of FINAL FANTASY VII and what it has meant to you as the first game that got you into the series.

I play in first time The Final Fantasy VI but the one who catch me was Final Fantasy IX.

bhearing
30th Aug 2012, 01:11
I have played them all from the original all the way up. I have not finished all of them though. Only 1,2, Mystic quest 6,7 and 8. I actually played FF6 on the SNES and it is my favorite of all time. I mean seriously Sabin can suplex a damn train! Although I like the story of 7 better than 8 I think 7 would have been mind blowing had the graphics been on par with 8.

GETTUM
30th Aug 2012, 02:06
Yup, Final Fantasy VII was my first game in the series. I was six years old when I watched my brother play it on our PSX hooked up to the television. Ever since, I've been a fan of the RPG genre of the video game world. It was one of the first games that introduced me to the gaming world...and it was an epic introduction. It was able to envoke so many emotions within me at such a young age that it has played an integral part in my childhood and made me the person I am today. It's one of my favorite games of all time and has influenced my growth and development as a person. I usually play the game once every few years for its nostalgic feeling along with a sense of how much I've grown since the last time I've played it. I'm absolutely in love with this game and will be probably be its fan for the rest of my lifetime.

As for the other installments of the series, I've only played the ones released before FFVII like I, II, III and bits of V/VI, so I haven't played any of the more recent releases. ;P It's always interesting to see how the series evolved into the amazing piece of work which is FFVII. Hopefully, I'll have more time in the future to play the more recent releases soon. ^^ For now, I'm only interested in downloading the re-release so I can do my yearly, re-living of my childhood. :] This is actually my first post here on the forum, so heyyy to all of you and hopefully we'll see alot more of each other after I get my hands on this re-release. :D

I actually haven't watched Advent Children or played any of the spin off versions/cameo appearances of FF7 like Crisis Core or Kingdom of Hearts since I unfortunately don't own any Sony game systems past the PSX. ;( Sooo my knowledge of the FF7 universe is limited to the original PSX game. ;P After beating the re-release of FF7 I'll probably get to seeing how the story progressed in the last decade and why Cloud doesn't have an arm anymore. O_O So yeah, wish you guys luck on your own gaming endeavors! >;D

itoikenza
31st Aug 2012, 14:07
i first played ff7 in 99 from a highschool friend. it was my first rpg experience. loved it. only got to play the 1st disk, took 1 week, all during a week long vacation, probably spring break.

member_10108856
31st Aug 2012, 14:45
I got into the series with the original game on the NES, back when I was 9. But I didn't have a NES at home and could only play at one of my friend's. Not until a few years later, right before IV (then named II in North America) came out did I finally get to finish it. My friend lent me his NES and I could finally play it to the end. I thought the gameplay was cool, and I liked how the battle system would let you think of what you want to do in a relaxed manner. How strategy and party management was involved.

But the game that actually sold the series to me is IV. To this day, I still think it's one of the finest game ever produced. Beaten only by VI.

When VII came out in 1997, I played like crazy for like a year and a half. And I got into countless debates about the story and its many plotholes.

Those are great memories. Over time, I tried to get into the game again, but the lack of analog controls, mostly, prevented me from really appreciating the game. Sure, there's also the graphics, but to me, the main problem was the way the D pad controls worked based on the camera angles (sometimes pressing up would make the character go diagonal left-up... x_X

And of course, there's the plot holes and the bad translation of the PSX version that doesn't help.

Still, it's a truly great and epic game that has defined its era like no other games.

osgZach
31st Aug 2012, 15:24
I honestly can't remember back that far.. Since it has been 15 years since the game was released.. I may have seen other final fantasies at some point, but I don't think I ever played one..

It was one of the most memorable experiences I had as a gamer, to be honest. Because let's face it; even if you don't like FF7 that much, or like it but don't consider it a favorite / gets more praise than it deserves, then consider this... Final Fantasy VII was the first really big step up in the series, on pretty much ever level of presentation. It was also a stepping stone and gateway, really, truly opening up the RPG genre to the public as a great way to play games. RPG's have been a dime a dozen since FF7 had its popular effect on North America; I don't think we would have as many RPG's as we have been exposed to, if it were not for FF7's huge commercial success.

Rumor had it, it was originally planned for the Nintendo 64 or something like that - can you IMAGINE what utter **** it would have looked like? And no FMVs, at least nothing near the quality we got on the Playstation. Yes, the fact the game was 3 Discs WAS overhyped, because the game actually fit on one CD, and it was just the FMV's that necessitated 2 more discs, but still, as a whole product it really was revolutionary.

I had tried RPG's before, but couldn't really get into them. Even though I liked the style they were still presented in (2D, or a mix of 2D/3D ala Wild Arms). The game looked beautiful for its time, even if in some respects some of the graphics were not top notch. The graphics were hand-drawn, the backgrounds were pre-rendered, and there was seamless integration of in-game action with CG cutscenes - a lot of this had never been done before (that I can recall) and they really did break into new territory with the level of presentation as a whole.

I got a Playstation for my Birthday, and I had planned on getting FF7 with it as my first game. But for some reason I saw Rebel Assault II and decided I had to have that instead.. I was still bitten pretty bad, I played my PSX Demo Disc and Rebel Assault II every chance I could get. I can't imagine what effect it would have been had I gotten FF7 because I was having trouble getting to bed early enough for school as it was.. In some ways I am glad I waited to play it, but the evening I got it was the perfect setup..

I did not buy it at first, for lack of money. But I rented it from Block Buster. It was winter, I had just cleaned up my room, I had a nice little ambience going with christmas lights hung around my walls. It gave a nice soft, even lighting to the room as opposed to harsh central light sources (I hate it, I prefer diffuse / dim lighting).

I got a box of Mike & Ikes, and some mountain dew. I stayed up all night playing, and it was Friday so that meant I had the whole weekend.. I had a copy of Game Informer, with their brief walkthrough that was several pages. I revelled in every second of this game, I just coudn't put it down, I would fall asleep playing it from exhaustion. My brother didn't really get it (he would later become an FF / RPG convert after finally playing it when he bought a copy after trying it).

It was one of the best weekends of my teenage life.. I was 15 at the time. I'll be 30 this year :(

I have never been able to repeat my first experience with FF7.. I've come close, played some awesome games, but nothing has captivated me quite like it did.

Anamlaqayin
31st Aug 2012, 18:22
FF4 (localized as FF2) was actually my first, but I think FF6 (localized as FF3) is what got me hooked. This series has been in my life since I was maybe seven years old and it probably means a lot more to me than it should; I annually replay 7 through 10 if I have the time (as all I have is a PS2) :P

Veritas
1st Sep 2012, 00:06
Final Fantasy III was the first FF i ever booted. But i did not finish it. FFVII was the first FF i finished. Which inspired me to check out FF1 and FF2 :P Eventually ended up getting a copy of FF Origins for PSX, FFVII was originally purchase for PSX as well, just bought the re-release digital download that is a carbon copy of that release back in 1997 minus a few very very minor updates.

I'll be releasing a tutorial and prepacked ENB Series mod (For FFVII) when it working just right for us deprived PC users.

Malmern
2nd Sep 2012, 13:07
Yeah, my first FF was VII,
my friend had just got his PSX and FFVII at the same time,
we used to play it everyday,
even though he didn't have a memory card,
and we couldn't even escape from the first reactor after setting the bomb and defeating the boss,
because we didn't know that you had to free a certain person in order to escape. :P

But since then I've beaten VII atleast 6-7 times,
and have done the same with VIII, IX, X and X-2,
but I've never beaten XII (My 3rd party memcard got corrupted,
but somehow it was back to normal with all the saves intact after laying dormant on a bench for a year,
and it's been working perfectly to this date.),
XIII (Don't care much for it) or XIII-2 (Haven't tried it after the huge dissapointment that XIII was for me).

osgZach
4th Sep 2012, 08:18
Sounds like there may have been a moisture issue with the electronics in your third party card, and it finally started working again because it dried out.

Back in the day I bought a stick of cheap 512MB ram for my PC, and one common solution to getting them working was blowing a hot air dryer on them for a minute or so to get rid of any potential moisture causing short circuits.

CocaineCowboy777
4th Sep 2012, 10:49
VII was my fourth FF but it's still my favourite. I was eight when my brother handed me VIII. That was my first one.

vitornavarrete
4th Sep 2012, 12:17
No it was VI (III on SNES) but I didn't finish it as a kid. At the time that didn't really grabbed my attention since I thought Chrono Trigger was the real deal. But the first time I saw VII was the CGI were Cloud and Co. are escaping from Midgar. Man, I went crazy, so awesome. I didn't own a psx back than so I played it on a friend's house.

Crow
5th Sep 2012, 22:39
Final Fantasy VIII was my first, and it creams FF VII in every way.

cloud4u2
6th Sep 2012, 20:08

I actually had the original FF1 f rom NES when i was like 5. It came with books and a fat box full of stuff. It was ep ic. but i was 5 and didn't get the game or the mechanics and i sold it.... trust me i've kicked myself in the balls for that plenty of times. only if i could go back in time thats my first big regret.

anyways ff7 was not my technical first rpg or ff game but i had friends that got it and kids at school said it was cool and i went and bought it and since I was older, I was able to fully understand the game how to play what not. Fell in love right away. Loved ff8 just as much and hav played em all since. I went back and played 1 and 2. Love FF1 but not 2 so much but still classic. This game got me into rpgs and waking up at 5 in the morning at the age of 15 to grind and level my in RPGs b4 i go to bed so when i get home from school, i can continue in the story and beat bosses easily. Plus I watched dragon ball z at 6 so i needed an hour b4 that. My parents never had to wake me up for school i was never late for the bus, all thanx to you guys so on behalf of my parents they say THANK YOU!!! :)

JakeVII25
9th Sep 2012, 02:47
I got the game the year it was releaed and I loved ever since. It really shaped me on what kind of gamer I was... which was an RPGamer. And since I was just a teenager at the time, it really made a big impact in my life.

JakeVII25
9th Sep 2012, 02:48
Final Fantasy VIII was my first, and it creams FF VII in every way.

LOL, no it doesn't.

JakeVII25
9th Sep 2012, 02:55
VII was my first Final Fantasy, and probably the first video game I ever had any urge to beat! I was a mere 4 years old when my dad came home with a PlayStation and this unusual game called Final Fantasy VII. I was more interested in the original Nintendo at the time, which my dad had given to me so I could Super Mario Bros. I quickly forgot about that system though and loved watching my dad play VII, even though a lot of the story was over my head. The first time I got to play it wasn't much; my older sister and I walked around Aerith's house, and loved the fact of how cute the inside and outside were.

My dad eventually sold the system because he didn't play it. (And my sister and I erased the data he had which was saved in the Northern Crater... Opps.) When I was 7, I finally got a PlayStation of my own with FF VII and was so excited to play it, and to say the least, the game surprised me at every turn. It has forever become one of my favorite video games, and possibly my favorite FF. What can I say, I grew up with it! :)

LOL @ the "unusual" comment because it was same for me. I actually didn't quite get the whole 7 part too until I found out there were 6 other games for the series.

meridithhatter
10th Sep 2012, 16:44
FFVII was the first game I ever owned on PS1 (whatever year PS1 dropped in price is when I got the console and game). It was my first taste into the series and while I have had a chance to play other parts of the series on DS and PS2/3, I reside heavily with FFVII and VIII. So many hours devoted to VII, late nights and mornings, squeezing that hour before school and pausing the game and praying power didn't go out, having to pass my memory card to a more experienced player to get past a boss, hour long boss fights cause I lacked knowledge and materia... Still own my original disks for VII and pc disks for VIII... my little tokens of my childhood.

alanman178
13th Sep 2012, 21:33
FF1 was the 1st FF game I had played. Then came FF4, 6, and 7. Of all the FF games I've played over the last 22 years, FF7 scores the most points with me. I really cared about all of the characters, and what they were going through. The overall FEEL of the game really pulled me in. I had played almost 10 hrs into the game by the time I had escaped Midgar. lol FF7 is the only game of the franchise I had ZERO complaints about throughout the entire play-through.

I hate to admit it, but I haven't really enjoyed the games as much since 7. The games since then HAVE had more Pros than Cons, but there was always something missing. They just didn't have that FEEL anymore. Personally, I think Square-Enix should go back to that open-world and free-roaming style with the bird's-eye-view and 3rd-person camera setup. Maybe bring back random battles, but allow players to adjust the encounter rate. SOMETHING to bring the franchise back to life. Build around the winners, Square-Enix. I'm all for adding new things, but there's no need to take a wrecking-ball to what works for the fans.

I'm going to stop here. I could go on and on. lol I have a passion for the FF franchise. Anyway, FF7 is my favorite due to the overall great quality of the game.

chsam
14th Oct 2012, 23:00
Hi. I'm playing FFVII for the first time ever right now. I bought it when it came out, and never got around to playing it.
And my impressions of it now? IT IS THE GREATEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. (imo better than VI)... In any case, that's
just my sentiment about the game. I'm just happy that I'm finally playing this game after so many years of delaying...

HOWEVER, I've been reading a lot about what's going on the recent "re-release" that's all glitched up etc. Add to that my
impression that the game is unfinished, even if it's just a rumour.. Square-Enix, why don't you do yourselves a HUGE favour
and do the remake or make a sequel ? We all know the recent releases have been inferior. When your big boss comes out and
tells the world that there is no remake until they can top FFVII, that's just admitting that what they've been putting out has been
pretty bad. I don't think it'd be the death of the franchise, it would give it new life.

I for one would buy the remake AND accompanying console... I could see myself buying a new FF release after that if said remake is great.
You want to know how many FF games I've bought since PS2 came out? Zero. Cause they look terrible. (sorry)... and linear no-open-world-map games? what are you guys thinking?

And the rumour about releasing the game because of the deadline way back then? Well, I think Square couldn't have known how
popular the game would be- but now I hope they realize they shot themselves in the foot. Just a bit more time in production would
have made a difference I bet, even if VII is a CLASSIC MASTERPIECE.

I work in the theatre world.. and let me say this about rushed jobs. At the end of the day, when the show opens, there is a certain quality about it that says "unfinished" or "unrefined".... and I'm sorry to say that VII has this "unfinished" feel to it. Anyone else get this when playing VII ?

Anyways. Long live Square and FF.

peace

ckobbe
16th Oct 2012, 02:16
There is much to agree with here!

To start off... Yes, this Final Fantasy VII PC version is very unfinished. I along with many other forum users have had problems with this game. Not all these problems are just minor glitches/bugs either! Customer support & server failures.
-Ungiven serial #'s upon purchase!
-CONNECTION ERROR - 10-13% Freeze
-Synching errors
-Unable to open the game
-Minor bugs & glitches throughout

Believe it or not...Those are just the few I know off the top of my head. I personally had the Connection Error, & I debated demanding a refund... 24 hours later though it was fixed!

Now I can't be so harsh... I find the experience to replay this game in a minor new perspective great! Though a few pros & cons do exist. The music change is nice in my opinion, it really does fit the HD feel & bring a new experience to the game. The HD improvements are somewhat appealing. But don't get me started on the cons...Starting with the GOD AWEFUL mouth designs.

None the less. Great game!

Now on another topic... Yes Final Fantasy VII remastered could be a huge risk. The expectations of the fan base would be off the charts! One wrong animation, one bad text insert, one bug/glitch could ruin this games reputation with the remaster. BUT if they did nail it! They would reborn the expectations for the future of Final Fantasy. As well as have a personal purchase of the game + console from me as well :)

cloud_strife
19th Oct 2012, 01:04
Final Fantasy III/VI was my first FF game (I was quite young) but I remember Final Fantasy VII being my first love, as strange as that sounds. XD

Locke255
11th Nov 2012, 01:13

Dragon Warrior for the NES was my first real RPG unless you count Phantasie on the Commodore 64. So I was definitely gaming when the first FF came out. I somehow missed it though. It wouldn't be until this year that I would finally play and beat FF1. Instead I picked up Mystic Quest and FFIV(2 at the time) when I was going to be laid up for a week after some minor surgery back in early 92 and between the love of the game and the painkillers I was on I was hooked :)

When FF7 came out I was living with a good friend who was also a huge fan of the series and he bought a playstation and I bought FF7. We took turns playing it, sharing the same file and we would watch the other when we weren't playing. We weren't allowed to play it unless we were both there! I can't describe the feeling to people who started with this as their first game. From NES to SNES to Playstation and FF7 - it was like a dream. We were amazed at everything. The characters, the story, the grahics! Man the graphics were unbelievable. WHen they got on the train after destroying the first reactor and the land hand holds swayed back and forth - that was incredible. That must sound like something small to be amazed at but you need to remember gaming before then. At the end of 97 I moved into my own place and picked up my own Playstation, and I plaued FF7 many many times after that. Countless times over the years. Playing it again now with the new PC release, and enjoying the small changes they have made.

Hope_Estheim96
25th Nov 2012, 17:18
i remeber final fantasy being the first final fantasy i played because i always played with my one friend and we would literally spend hours in front of the tv playing and replaying the game and wouldnt play until i was at his house. then one time last sumemr we did that again but didnt take a brake and beat ff7 in less the 3 days i think like 2 and a half. and it was probably one of the greatest moments of my life http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Catsitta
26th Nov 2012, 08:51
Final Fantasy 7 isn't my first game in the series, but it is the first I came to enjoy. When I was about...thirteen I recieved FF10 for PS2. I HATED it. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get past the intro before getting bored out of my mind. A few years later, I heard about FF7 and did some reading and research. Last year, sometime in the Winter I believe, I at last got my hands on FF7 for the PC and found myself loving it despite the awful graphics. Then, I moved to another state, found myself with a new computer and no access to my old one...which meant I could no longer play FF7 and I was so ticked off. I had played that game for hours on end. Then, I rediscovered it and jumped for joy. Yeah, it was a pain to download, but once all was said and done, I was happy with my purchase...as long as I ignore my annoyance with the save/continue syncing.

Scoggins-650099
9th Dec 2012, 10:25
My first time playing FF7 I only played for a few minutes and |I was like what is this nonsense and went back to Crash Bandicoot 2. A few months later my little brother stuck this disk into the VCR because he want to play... (he was a bout 3 at the time). So I decided to give 7 another chance. I have now had at least 17 full play throughs and I honestly don't think there is a secret I didn't uncover. All with out the aid of the interwebs too because Those were the days of dial up internet when AOL was king.

ANyway I joined this site so I could download and play FF7 again but I can't get it to work right so now I am gonna mess around in the forums until I hear back from tech support.

Scoggins-650099
9th Dec 2012, 10:26
Final Fantasy 7 isn't my first game in the series, but it is the first I came to enjoy. When I was about...thirteen I recieved FF10 for PS2. I HATED it. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get past the intro before getting bored out of my mind. A few years later, I heard about FF7 and did some reading and research. Last year, sometime in the Winter I believe, I at last got my hands on FF7 for the PC and found myself loving it despite the awful graphics. Then, I moved to another state, found myself with a new computer and no access to my old one...which meant I could no longer play FF7 and I was so ticked off. I had played that game for hours on end. Then, I rediscovered it and jumped for joy. Yeah, it was a pain to download, but once all was said and done, I was happy with my purchase...as long as I ignore my annoyance with the save/continue syncing.

FFX gets better with age, X-2 as well. Compare it to the newer ones its much better. Blitz was the saving factor I think.

werefire100
9th Dec 2012, 10:46
final fantasy 7 was simply the first game square released that was so beyond advanced for it's time it gained support oh so very quickly. the amazing storyline, characters, and active time combat made this to me the first great final fantasy. though 1-6 were all good titles.

member_10247755
24th Dec 2012, 08:31
7 wasn't my first. I actually was introduced with 1 on the NES when I was 11 years old. However, FF7 was the first in the series that really captivated me with the story and characters. I can't tell you how many times I've played through it. In fact, I just bought the new PC version and have started grinding through it yet again. While a remake would be nice, I'd much rather see Before Crisis come to the US on smart phones.

SREPCfg-363537
7th Jan 2013, 10:33
How about a Sephiroth's Story game, where we can use his immense power, mixed to a futuristic gameplay and graphics.

I think that could be amazing!

Just to not be forgotten.

moooka
7th Jan 2013, 10:53
Yes, it was my first FF, but it wasn't the first that I finished.

soll
7th Jan 2013, 10:55
Hi, My first Final Fantasy was FF8, i love the characters specially squal, i love the story i love all of it. I never played ff7 because the graphics, i dont like it.

Kzar5678
10th Jan 2013, 17:43
Technically, the first Final Fantasy game that I played was Final Fantasy 8. It was on one of those old Pizza hut demo disks for the PS1 (Long time ago, huh). Time passes until about...say 4 years ago. When I see Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7 at a gamestop. It was an RPG, I liked RPGs and I had no idea what Final Fantasy was (at this point I had pretty much forgotten about FF8 demo) So I played it and liked it. I learned quite a bit later that fans were sad when they played this game since they knew how the game HAD to end (I never spoil things, but those who played it know) I was unaware of this and caught me TOTALLY off guard. I cried.....a lot. But after Crisis Core, I began playing the rest of the series and have so far played all but 10 and have beaten 1,5,8 and Crisis Core...and Dissidia 013 and 012 if you wanna count those =3

COMMIExxSTAR
11th Jan 2013, 13:33
I actually started playing the Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross at my buddies house in Middle School. Until then I was either playing Racing or Wrestling games. I really didn't like those games at first, then my buddy whipped out his copy of Final Fantasy 9. I had to borrow it and ended up playing it for at least 30 hours straight over the weekend. I went back to school on Monday and told him how much I loved that game and he told me I should check out FF8 and FF7. I picked up copies of those games and still play them (along with Final Fantasy 1-9) to this day. I've only beaten Final Fantasy 7-9, but I'm slowly working on the others. I will play other games like Fable or Call of Duty, but they get boring and I always end up hooking up my old PSX and mashing on those games. I'm glad to see they finally put FF7 on the Square Enix store!

Kurusonkai
15th Jan 2013, 11:32
Final Fantasy 7 was my first and favorite one. Although I've played 1, 2, tactics, and others older ones. Been hocked on the series ever sense then. Stopped playing after 10 for a while. Once I got my ps3 I rebought 7 and started playing it again. It's funny not bein' bored playing a game again I would beat over and over again and max out all the characters on lol. Only game series I've ever been able to make a statement like that on.

Edit: Of course on the PS3 downloadable version of FF7 I've noticed a lot of typo's... Not sure if those were there the first time on the PlayStation or if my memory is just very bad... Probably the latter.

Zanthalas
19th Jan 2013, 19:46
Final Fantasy 7 wasnt my first Final Fantasy. My first Final Fantasy was... well the first Final Fantasy on the NES. I enjoyed it, but the one that really got me into the series was Final Fantasy VI (FFIII in the US way back at the time on the SNES). Then it was a sure fire love when Final Fantasy 7 was released on the PS1. Since then i've been a fan of the series.

FantasyFinale12
21st Jan 2013, 17:45
The first time I ever played Final Fantasy was while in BC at a friend's house. They have a PSP system and a bunch of games, selecting one that looked interesting I began to play Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. It was really good! http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif I'm sad that I couldn't finish it, but it was very enjoyable.

dickymoon
22nd Jan 2013, 05:12
My first RPG was Chrono Trigger and I loved that game and also loved the idea of RPG's at that time. Just my luck FF VII was slated to be released a few months after I beat my first RPG and for my second time playing a game like this I was blown away by the story and the in-depth detail and the massive scope of the game. My first time I played FF VII I think I logged some 100+ hours, I know I had all my peoples at lvl99 and had beaten the weapons. After all that there was still a few parts of the story I missed and also a few challenges I missed, so I played it again as a faster play through, but I haven't played it since then until now. Just bought the PC v1.0.6 and it is working great with the new res graphics and ect. pumped up!

Kairikku
22nd Jan 2013, 05:30
I actually played Final Fantasy X first, that was my introduction to the series. I bought it the day it came out in the UK and i remember how excited I was; I had never played a proper RPG besides Pokemon up until then. I then went on to buy Final Fantasy VII and VIII and played through both of them back to back. From then on for about two years, I spent all the money i saved up on the other Final Fantasy titles for Playstation (Origins, Anthology, VI & IX) and even managed to delve into FFXI online for a few months. FFX will probably always be my own personal favourite as it was my introduction to the wonderful series. But VII, IX, VI and especially VIII are all very special and dear to me =) of course, i have recently enjoyed XIII and XII (which i never got around to playing when it first came out!) and the two DS remakes of III and IV. Looking forward to more from the XIII universe (both LRFFXIII and FFvXIII) and finally delving into XIV =D

Muscle_Nerd
22nd Jan 2013, 11:13
best. game. ever........

apumakoman
25th Jan 2013, 19:05
Yes and no.

When I was little I played Dragon Quest (NES), and a game just like it but I didn't know what it was. I got FFVII in '99, and after that found out that the game was FF1. :-p

plaidpanther
31st Jan 2013, 22:32
FF7 was my first Final Fantasy and none have lived up to it yet!

Firestarter
5th Feb 2013, 17:35
Yes! I went from the Mega Drive to the Psone and a copy of Final Fantasy VII, loved it from then on and I wish they would reboot the game or something!

Anime-Red
12th Feb 2013, 02:44
the 1st time i sat down to play ff7 i was still in the beginning just after going down the elevator. i ran around doing a few more battles. and thought. this game is stupid. i shut it off and didn't play it for a few years.

soon ff8 came out i thought wow great graphics, i likes playing it. about 1/2 thru 8 i fired up 7 again, and wow i really really got into the story and characters, i loved the materia the most. any way since then ive play ff7 through to the end 3 or 4 times, i mastered every mini game it had and just grew to luv the game the best out of them all. ive played 8,9,10,10-2,11 << still play it,12,13, even 14 waiting for realm reborn to open

but over all FF7 is my greatest game love, if they wont remake it for us please consider continuing the game with the characters we all love so much, and materia like it was grown and used. maybe from shortly after Advent Children. use 12 or 13's engine and go from there

Ripax5
12th Feb 2013, 04:05
No, my first FF was the III Japanese, I was trying some games of a friend and few years later I played a bit of FFX and the first game of the series I finished the story was the Type-0. Started to play VII last week.

OCDFIGHTER
12th Feb 2013, 14:18
YES! I was a big Nentendo gamer back then (being so young), and a friend who had been playing FFVII started telling me about this game's elaborate and engaging story. Shortly therafter, I myself began to sacrafice sleep for what had quickly become an obsession. To date, every other game in the series has failed to live up to the quality and style of that instalment, but I've found a way to apprecaite most of them as a gem in their own right.

amieleon18
18th Feb 2013, 09:39
Technially my first Final Fantasy game that I played was the KH series. I didn't really get into Final Fantasy series until after I played KH, so I guess my first Final Fantasy game I've ever played was Crisis Core.

awesomemandude
21st Feb 2013, 22:38
youtu.be/GJhlBiSX3BY (http://youtu.be/GJhlBiSX3BY)<iframe width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJhlBiSX3BY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Anime-Red
22nd Feb 2013, 00:12
youtu.be/GJhlBiSX3BY (http://youtu.be/GJhlBiSX3BY)<iframe width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJhlBiSX3BY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

nice vid luis. ive felt the same. made me lol some

kellsws6
22nd Feb 2013, 17:11
not only my first final fantasy but my first JRPG

pvm1989
25th Feb 2013, 02:09
I first played Final Fantasy in 1998 hardly knowing anything about the series or RPG's in general, then i fell in love. It was introduced to me when my father was playing it, he used to play the original FF on the NES. Over a short time I became a natural and now an enthusiast far moreso than my father. I've beaten the whole line of games and mastered a few. Final Fantasy VII is my favorite and most fond game of all time!

WorstBirthdayEver
18th Mar 2013, 14:48
Guilty as charged.

First RPG and thus first Final Fantasy. A friend of mine over the internet back in 98 (I think) suggested that I get it, and I loved it. Seeing that I obviously didn't have many friends who played RPGs, I wound up recommending the game to other people who inevitably fell beneath the love spell this game had. I loved the music and more than anything, the character artwork. Kinda wished Nomura stuck with the style in FF8, but I can't be upset because he returned with it in Kingdom Hearts, more or less. I still find his anime style more charming than his realistic style, but seeing that my favorite character of his is Aya Brea (and after that, probably Rikku from X), I can't say that he's ever let me down.

VII was really the biggest video game adventure I had. It might be my favorite FF game that I've played, but a part of me wants to say that I felt IX was better overall, granted I didn't get the most out of IX. I look forward to one day experience the older titles (I've played VI, but did not finish it) such as IV (HD version) and possibly III.

The last game that I played was XIII and if I had to make one glaring comparison about the new and the old... it's that the newer games aren't all that humorous anymore. They're as serious as their overall appearance is polished.

Oh, and I don't care if 7 is remade. It would be nice as some way to sort of cement its legacy, but it would have to be really special... and I honestly don't have the faith in Square Enix as I did with Squaresoft.

tussokyweevil21
6th Apr 2013, 15:38

It was 2001 and I was "too old enough for video games" so I was no expecting to play any. My shcool's best friend was surprised that I havent know about Final Fantasy VII, and told me that I was losing myself for one of the best video games ever. He described the story and the game play to me so insistently that I borrow it from him.

I was trapped since the presentation video! the beauty of Aerith, the Midgar view, the train, the music, and the sound is marvelous! It was my first RPG ever, so EVERYTHING, was a fresh new world for me. I have played it till the end twice and now I downloaded the pc's re-release to play it a third time.

By the time I was 17 years old, and I was on a personal search for my own identity. I started liking new attributes in people, so I was looking for new friends. Before that age I was a very material person, and bad experiences made me change my ways on thinking about people and life.

Final Fantasy VII's story and game play helped me on that renovation. I enjoyed friends, family, school and myself better thanks to FF7. With FF7 I found happiness and personl growing on an age I really needed to.

member_10634684
12th Apr 2013, 11:51
My first Final Fantasy game was actually Final Fantasy II. Or it was actually called Final Fantasy IV. But it was called Final Fantasy II in the United States then.

It is the game that made me fall in love with Japanese RPGs as a type of video game. I was really young and it was a good game. I also kind of missed the medieval fantasy type of settings I wouldn't see in later games. Which is a part of what I like about Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV. I like all of the old looking buildings and cute races and forests and things. In new Final Fantasy games I don't get too many castles and wizards and cute creatures and things. I also kind of miss exploring a world on an airship. In Final Fantasy IV, I explored the world on an airship and went to Eblan castle and found a really difficult group of foes in a treasure chest.

It really caught me by surprise to explore the world and find Eblan Castle, and then find tough monsters in a treasure chest. I miss things like that. Which is why I'm hoping Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn turns out to be really amazing. I spent a lot of hard work and effort learning how to build a gaming PC hoping I could experience something magical and wonderful like that again.

Now I have three gaming PCs... two desktops and a laptop... and not many good Japanese RPGs to go with them...

DHENMAN25
14th Apr 2013, 01:27
yep!,

final fantasy vii was my first game from the series.

i was still in grade 5 when i first got this game and i fell inlove with it.

actually ffvii is the reason why i'm so addicted to role playing games now

and i'm proud of it :)

member_10715560
15th Apr 2013, 02:18
FF7 was my first rpg I've ever played, and it was when I was in second grade. It actually introduced me to anything that is related to RPGs in general. It is also my favorite game till today, great storyline.

alanman178
15th Apr 2013, 21:01
FF7 was my first rpg I've ever played, and it was when I was in second grade. It actually introduced me to anything that is related to RPGs in general. It is also my favorite game till today, great storyline.

Hey! That game has a "Teen" rating! You were too yo... Bah never mind. lol I was 20-yrs-old when FF7 was released. Well, I turned 21 in the same month the game was released in NA. Great game right there. It's my favorite in the series.

member_10177565
23rd May 2013, 16:57
FFVII was the first in the series for me :)

I wasn't allowed to play videogames growing up, but my parents finally caved and bought me a PS when I was 10. And my first games were Parappa the Rapper and FFVII :D

treyvan
23rd May 2013, 17:16
Final Fantasy was my very first game . It was the door that I walked through that got me hooked on RPGs.

Sadly Diablo / Diablo 2 was my first MMO but my first truely good MMO was FFXI and to this day have yet to find anything that has lived up to the love and enjoyment that game gave me. Now its time to wait for FFXIV: ARR and lets hope it lives up to the standard FFXI set in my eyes for MMOs.

timeofglory
28th May 2013, 11:15
My father passed away when I was 12; back in 2000. We had just moved from the suburbs of Northern California to a dust bowl in New Mexico because my father's illness drove us through bankruptcy. I didn't have any friends; didn't have my bike any more... I had my baseball glove which was useless because my older brother was going through his own thing so we didn't hang out much after we moved (never spoke to him again after high school).

Final Fantasy VII was a get outa hell experience for me. It showed me other lives with other problems, conflicts, obsessions and confusions. I thought I was turning into a nerd or a closet case... couldn't talk to anyone at school about it, as soon as they'd hear the title they'd make fun of the game and me. I didn't care; I played that game day and night, lots of countless hours of my adolescence went into that game. A big part of me wants to blame the game because I lost a lot during that time. I didn't make friends, I didn't meet girls. But, a big part of me fell in love with the characters and their stories.

I just had to get away from my life. Then I met a buddy of mine in school that introduced me to Led Zeppelin and Pantera! My life went back to normal after that!

I'd love to play that game again (someone stole it along with my PlayStation years back) so this last weekend I tried downloading it and it's not working! I don't think I'll ever get to experience the game like I did before. I've always hoped for a sequel or a re-release.

cloudfirstclass
15th Jun 2013, 14:26
It was my first ff game to had it on ps1. ive beaten all of them now ff7 is still my favorite by far. i think it had the best story and villian. cant wait for new ones coming out and the ps4.

DinobotZ
7th Jul 2013, 19:48
It sure was. When I was playing it back then I never got far into it, but I'm playing through it now along with VIII and IX and loving every minute of it. All three of them are easily some of my top favourite games of all time.

Kilikus
7th Jul 2013, 20:10
I've been a FF fan since the NES... but...

7 marked the first time I played an RPG with a friend, we cried, we laughed. We must have starred blankly at the screen for an hour trying to figure out why that horrible thing happens... Then cheered out loud when we took down the weapons. He would grind when I wasn't around, we tackled everything the game had to offer, and we were just getting started. We went back and played 6, then 8, 9, 10, 12, together. Played tons of 11, tons of 14 ver 1, and now beta testing for ARR.

FF7 made lifelong friends out of us.

member_10140028
7th Jul 2013, 20:31
I got started since the first one came out and fell in love with the series. 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12 are my favorites thus far in the series

member_10168025
9th Jul 2013, 15:18
This is yet another thank you to Square-Enix for making the best games I have ever played over and over.

I have over 30 Final Fantasy titles in my collection, and I have been playing video games for over 20 years.

I will break this down to into sections for clarity.

"Pre-cap"

Final Fantasy VII was my first ever Final Fantasy. It has a special place in my heart, but I must say after playing this franchise for over 15 years I can no longer say it is my favorite. My favorite already has its thank you letter already made up. These posts are not for debate they are my opinion and my "thanks" to SE for making them.

I remember the first time I ever played FFVII. I was at my friends house, and we were enjoying our weekend off school. We went to blockbuster andn rented FFVII and I believe one of the Jet Motos at the time.

We got to his house, and put in FFVII first. Since we were both used to games like Mortal Kombat, Jet Moto, and other action packed 'quick' games we didnt care to see the intro scenes and wanted to get straight to the gameplay.

First thing we see is Cloud jumping off some train, and I wasnt impressed (graphics.) Later we get into that first battle and its .. attack.... attack. Again I was not impressed. We ran through the oddly shapped area and ran into the walls a few times. We both became irritated and both agreed to each other "I will never play Final Fantasy again, its not good at all!"

later my brother told me about his decision to buy FFVII. I told him it was a bad choice but he disagreed. He ended up buying the game anyway. Since the PlayStation in the house was a shared one, and I was the most avid gamer in the house I would wait until my brothers "turns" were up on the system so I could play as much as possible. I enjoyed gaming and I thankfully still do!

After watching him get further and further into the game.. I eventually broke down.. "Can I play?" lol from that moment on my love for this series has grown intensively.

On to the thanks post!

**********This will contain spoilers*******************WARNING*********this will contain spoilers**************

*Story
*Battle System
*Characters (Models/voices/acting)
*Mechanics
*Linear/Freedom
*Music
*Menu
*Difficulty
*NF (Aka Nostalgia Factor) (Please refer to "Final Fantasy In My Opinion" post for more depth on this subject, By yours truly Daniolaut)

*Story
The story for this game is certainly a good one. Its a story that grows and builds upon itself numerous times. It has a few overlapping bits and really pulls you into the world. The characters personalities are enjoyable and they definitely give the game depth and taste. From the inital backdrop of the rebel group of Avalanche, and their plot against an electric company called Shinra, to the childhood story of a man named Cloud to a world threat that ... the entire populace faces. This story is certainly a grand one and I enjoyed the gripping parts that I am sure nearly everyone who knows anything about Final Fantasy knows about!

*Battle System
The battle system is a long lived trademark of the series. The active time battle system is very well known and very fun. I now turn the speed on the system up as high as it can go and can still play this game with a lot of fun and excitement. I also enjoy the limit system and it being the base to my favorite Limit break system I have to tip my hat. The summoning system is also fun. The summons in this game have a dominant presence with their size and notability. It is very fun.

*Characters
(************SOME SPOILER INFO CAUTION*************)
The characters in this game are some of the most noted and repeated in the series.
Cloud has been seen in game after game, and its no question as to why.
Cloud is a initially a determined character who eventually lets himself become human after spending time with his companions. He takes full responsisblity for his actions and wont allow anything to get in his path, especially when he is with his comrads.
Tifa is definitely the best friend Cloud could ever ask for. She sticks with Cloud through all the hardship and she is certainly nothing to be underestimated. Her abilities in combat are some of the best, and she is seen among plenty of gamers as the overall girl, having sex appeal, strength and support. A great female in the gaming industry no doubt.

All the characters in this game have their own well develop personalities and bring a tasteful varity of fantasy and realism this franchise is known for. A great job by the SE team!

*Mechanics
The mechanics also in this game are famous for its functionality. The materia system is extremely enjoyable. Quite possibly one of the best systems, and certainly a base for a future title. Each weapon and "arm" has its base stats, but with the option to add materia to the piece the players are given a bit of customiztion. Its fun and exciting to mix and match materia in different ways to create some of the most unstoppable abilites/traits.

*Linear/Freedom
This game does a great job in providing the feeling of freedom. In the beginning you nearly have no where else to go but one direction. This feeling is not noticed since the player has a sense of "urgency." After quite some time with plot twists and intersting and fun encounters the player eventually "escapes" from Midgar and is presented what seems like an endless world. I had a lot of fun especially after gaining access to the airship.

*Music
The music in this game is very heart pumping. The tracks get you excited and ready to get into the game. Many of the songs are upbeat and make you feel like something is really going on. There are also other tracks that make for a good back drop to some of the more emotional parts of this game. Fantastic job on the score for this game. The Rufus Welcoming will always be a song that gets stuck in my head. Also as of late the Golden Saucer song has been playing non stop in my mind!

*Menu
Every game I have played in this series has had a good menu system. This menu was very simplistic and easy to navigate. It also had a feature to customize the menu color, but that traditional blue is just too great to mess with!

*Difficulty
I really cannot comment on this topic because since this was my first Final Fantasy, and on my later play throughs I knew exactly what do to I cannot say if it was easy or difficult. I was used to cheating playing games like Jet Moto and Sonic. I was one of the fastest "code entering" people. My little brother and his friends would always come to me when they couldnt push the buttons fast enough when they were entering codes. So yes, I admit I cheated the day lights out of FFVII. But it was my last, since, I have not cheated. :D

*NF
The NF for this game was certianly present. From the summons, to the ATB system, it had a good sense of NF. I'll leave it at that.

TLDR: (there is no TLDR, read the next line as to what I want you to see.)

*************(This thread is not up for debate. This is my opinion and my thank you to Square-Enix for this game if you have nasty things to say take it elsewhere. Make your own thread talk your crap there, do not burden me or SE with your complaints on this thread. I thank you in advance.)***********************

ezekiell
30th Aug 2013, 06:09
FFVII was my first entry into the series. If i try to remember my childhood i cant because all i did was sped countless hours playing the game, staying up all night, falling asleep with the controller in my hand and then sleeping though my elementary school classes as a result. I loved the story and soundtrack. Cloud Red XII and Sephiroth are my all time favorite characters, and i wish so much that Square enix would remake the game for PC/PS4 keeping everything exactly the same, maybe add the Aerith revival they supposedly had planned for the original. I thought Crisis Core was a great addition to the series also. Continue the Genisis storyline. The teaser at the end of Dirge still has me holding my breath.

smoking87
31st Aug 2013, 22:37
ok,i just wanna say,i turn mad with this c*ap!now i bought this game 3rd time in my life.2x ps1 and now with steam.and im really sad, i get used by square enix,to have a ******** account,to play that game.dont get me wrong,i luv ff7.its one of the importants game in my life.but this ******** online s*it makes me really mad.when i bought it first,no one was able to pay *****in inet.meanwhile every "big" firm thinks,they could catch every data and foul,with the inet,to make mauch more profit.srsly,i paid that game,like i ever did in the last 20y.but i`m really sad,to get used like that meanwhile.what the ***** square enix want from me,that i have an extra extra acount?i already got my steam acoount and square enix already earned money!so just lemme enjo it,instead of trippin my neards with that waste of time and being insta online.srsly,shame on u.and ur grandmas,they would be really angry,if they would get used like that.
delete this tread,i wouldnt worry about it.i mainly hope,u get it.this is really sad,and my last square enix game on the computer,

rage quitted

FantasyDreamKey
12th Sep 2013, 18:51
My first Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 7. We brought it from Toy R Us back then. When I first played it I didn't think much at first but then I enjoyed the gameplay as it was new to me at the time. I didn't understand the story at first but now I understand it all (thank to the internet and books). I enjoyed the music, gameplay, characters and story.
Sephiroth is the first human villain to scared me. When I played the part where Cloud tell his story about him, I got scared when the monster came out of the pod. I couldn't play the game because I was so scared of that scene. I got really scared when they played "Those Chosen by the Planet" and then Sephiroth burnt down the town and went to get Jenova. I got over that now and I enjoyed playing Final Fantasy 7.
I remember I stayed up past my bedtime because I just defeated the final boss (without the Knight of the Round summon) and thought that I did it until... surprise! There is one final battle to do. I was like "Please don't lose! If I lose then I have to battle those difficult final bosses again!" After finished the game I quickly went to bed as I got school tomorrow.
Because of this game I got into the Final Fantasy series.

Rikuo
12th Sep 2013, 19:57
IX was my first, but VII was the first in the series I ever beat. I enjoyed it. But it really has shown it's age when I went back to play it some time ago.

cloudsquallxiii
6th Oct 2013, 08:29
I was first introduced to the series when my uncle brought it round and sold it to me well my mum for me haha but my god its the best thing she ever bought me that was playstation version i love it its my all time fave game most off the ff gamesare i do love all the original ff aswell the are all unique :)

NecroDreadful
28th Nov 2013, 14:47
FFII/IV where the first i saw but 7 was the first game i was excited about.

r_scharnakau
28th Jan 2014, 23:01
It was my first RPG game ever, my first PlayStation game that I bought off a friend for 20 bucks as soon as he beat it. It was worth every penny and more! Even though the PS1 is obsolete I bought a PS3 just so I could download the games and continue playing. However the games are starting to be disappointing now.....

shrubby
28th Mar 2014, 23:20
I had just purchased a PS in '99 and went looking for games. I bought FFVII because it was on the cheap shelves, not knowing anything about the game. I must admit for the first 10 minutes of playing I was bitterly disappointed, but played on.
It eventually dragged me in and I played it day and night. The music drove my wife insane, and when I purchased it for the PS3 her first words were "oh no, not again"
If you ask me what my fav game is, it's a no brainer "FFVII"

mogustiltzkin
14th May 2014, 01:50
I must say FF7 is the best on the series...though I first played FF8, I still consider FF7 as the best....the storyline is very deep and all of the cast in the game are unique...I remembered playing this game more than 99 hours just to complete and master all materias :) ...

senzacoda
22nd May 2014, 18:37
FFVII was my first JRPG to be played, and I did it on the Playstation. It was pretty useful to me, being at the time a twelve-years-old boy who needed to improve his english comprehension.. I really loved it, and I still come back to the game on my PSVita, because I am somewhat linked to this particular title for personal reasons. I bet few of you have finished it in while staying ill in a bed for weeks, haven't you? :D
Anyway, I also loved every FF frome the VII to the X, but I'm still amused from the quality of the games that are still developed in the series!

Bongi_B
22nd Jul 2014, 14:10
FFVII Is the 1st FF I was exposed to and played.

I was introduced to it when my cousins set up their playstation up at our grandmothers house when we were young. I believe I was about 8 years old.

ooohhh boy has that day changed my life!!

After my 1st encounter and subsequently, many more, I began dreaming about the story. I had become obsessed!!! It lead me to working my behind off so I could earn money to buy a Playstation (1st gen) & FFVII.

So many years later and many play throughs. I have now been collecting anything and everything FFVII related. I've used the fan fare music as my mobile sms tone & have had "One Winged Angel" as my ring tone for years, I've traveled half way across Australia to attend a concert to hear "One Winged Angel" live... There are many scrolls and framed posters around my house, display cabinets showing some of my collections of statues, 10th anniversary potion, figures, books and have many more yet to display.... I've cried so many times at different points in the games and FFVII:AC.... my wife knows that I am an absolute nutter and a hopeless devotee to the FFVII world.

This story has shaped my childhood, teenage years and adult life. The morals and themes will forever be in my mind, it has and will shape the knowledge I pass onto my children and family. I believe it is the most successful in the franchise due to its many real world relevant subjects.

<3 forever!

CelestiaLudenberg
14th Oct 2014, 05:40
It is my first game in the series as typical as it sounds but it's also my first ever game in general.

Bandersnadtch
16th Oct 2014, 19:45
FF7 was my first Final Fantasy game, and probably only the 2nd or 3rd game for the psx, Machine Hunter being the first. At the time, it soon became my favorite game. I was relatively new to gaming, and things like shooters, hack-and-slash, and horror themes were either too intense for me then, or just not the pace I wanted. I was about 8 or 9 when I got it. (Funny story, actually, I bought 1 disk at a pawn shop at first, and I couldn't play it because it was disk 2 or 3, so I was piiissed.) My dad took me to a game store and bought me a new copy, and I was instantly hooked. The music alone would have been worth the money. From then on until FF12, I was an avid FF fan. They lost me at FF12 though, but I'm thinking about playing 13 and it's cohort titles.

When 9 came out, it was my new favorite game, but that changed between 7 and 9 often. Didn't ever care too much about 8, and I'm not really sure why. Never finished it. A lot of people look down on 10, I've noticed, but I can't honestly say I see what the problem was. It did seem like SE may have cut a couple of corners in development, but I really liked it. Never played 11 (I bought it, but I didn't know it was an online thing. No internet then.) And then 12 happened, and maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but that's where I quit. I still play my favorites every now and then, though.

square_art
26th Jan 2015, 13:23
This is yet another thank you to Square-Enix for making the best games I have ever played over and over.*
:)
FF7 is my first FF I've played and completed. Not the best FF I've played, but definitely the great and remarkable one!
I really dig art style of the game, graphics and gameplay, it's a huge masterpiece. The only thing I wish it could have - several (harder) levels of difficulty and hard coded challenges (e.g. "no items/no materia") for crazy fans as me :)

HeartOfLion
27th Jan 2015, 18:45
VIII was my first Final Fantasy and the one that grabbed & dragged me inside this universe.
Thence I played all FF from VI onward till XIII.
I felt, back then, that VIII creamed VII in every way (including -among various other things- music, Triple Triad & Quistis), and my mind has not changed.
Particularly, after getting used to real proportioned team members, I couldn’t stand the “super deformed” style of VIII’s predecessors (and IX too).
But after XII, VIII has become my runner-up.

Regnak1
17th Jul 2015, 04:20
My first was Final Fantasy V (FF II US) for the snes, but Final fantasy VI (III US) was the one that really sucked me in. I've played through that game a dozen times, and Locke is still my favorite FF protagonist. Kefka would be my favorite villain too, if he wasn't such a clown. I'm very much hoping that the FFVII remake experiment is massively profitable, and they decide to remake VI next :)

FFVII was mindblowing when it came out though, and I still remember how crushed I was when, after hours of webcrawler-ing and googling (which was just a baby at the time), I couldn't find a way to undo that certain spoilerific mid-game event. There hasn't been a game prior or since that has compared in depth of story and emotion. I REALLY hope SE doesn't screw this up.

elKazaam
29th Aug 2015, 18:54
FF7 was my first game on the first ps. and it changed my gameplay expirience so much. 8 was also good but then it goes a way i didnt like. I hope the remakewill brinf back the old feeling...

ironicallyKarma
3rd Sep 2015, 19:43
Yes, it was. I loved it a lot and my brother told me he has the VI too, so I played it, and then played the VIII, IX, etc... and got addicted. I still play this one, sometimes, because it's the one that introduced me to the series and also my favorite game.

Kalkano
22nd Oct 2015, 18:57
I started at the very beginning, with Final Fantasy 1 on NES. I just saw the cover in the store, and thought it looked cool. I got it as a present later on. I then stumbled on Final Fantasy 6 years later, without even knowing it existed, and then found 4 afterwards.

7 made me dream of games that would look like...well, like games we have now. Of course, I never imagined that we'd lose the gameplay. :(

FullbringBahamut
6th Dec 2015, 10:24
Actually NO it wasn't my fist Final Fantasy it was FFVI

I brought a box of SNES games off a friend once and it also included an adapter and several American SNES games, One of those was FFVI (or FFIII at the time)

I loved that game, Still do in fact but FFVII was the first one that cemented my love for the series

Oh FFVII was my first PlayStation game though

cloudxaerith
11th Dec 2015, 11:12
Nope. I had played FF8 and KH1 before I played VII. KH1 was actually what introduced me to Cloud and the VII universe. And I'm very thankful for it lol