PDA

View Full Version : Control you must learn Control

daventry
30th Sep 2013, 14:37
Just to let Crystal know, the Tomb Raider Forum Members thinks the Idea is Spot On.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=202481

What Control System should be used for TR10 especially when it comes to Swimming.

Im PC by the way, so if you discuss Console Controls, go ahead.

http://s7.postimg.org/osbumjl6j/image.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/qym1ijuuf/image.jpg

Now Crystal aint gonna bring the Classic Control System back, thats for sure, but the TRU Controls were a Dream Boat for me.

For me the Swimming with the Mouse while you could still use the Directional Keys were Brilliantly done and i would very much like that back for TR10

In TR2013 you are Limited to set your Keys, yet in TRU you could Set and Delete whatever Keys you want.

I cant even delete the Secondary Button List, its either telling me it already exist or Forcing me to use the Same Button.

I Loved the TRU Control Settings, im not being Told to Reassign a Key, i can Delete it if i dont want it.

You could even use the Same Button to either throw a Grenade or the Object you carry around.

The Sprint Button were Awesome, even for long distance Swimming.

What i would also like, is a Save/Load System like the Classics where you press F5 for Saving and F6 for Loading, plus having Save Slots. Im Sick of Checkpoints.

Metalrocks
30th Sep 2013, 15:31
im pretty sure they will make it pc friendly as with the LAU games.
controlling with the mouse and keyboard under water is always a "must have" for a pc game. cant remember playing game that dint had it, besides the older TR titles of course, because core dint know what a mouse was :p.
even resident evil revelations had mouse controls for swimming under water. so im pretty sure the next TR (if it will have swimming) will have the same option as before.

daventry
30th Sep 2013, 15:36
In TRL and TRA on the PC, they have No Mouse Control System, you had to use different styles of Buttons just for Up and Down. The Mouse, was the Camera.

The Core Games for Swimming was also Very Easy.

Psychomorph
13th Nov 2013, 01:37
TRU controls were best.

My dream is a behind head camera, so when you move the view with the mouse, Lara is turning her head there aswell. That means that you'd also have that awesome classical backward step and leap and to turn around you'd move the camera around.

I hate the modern 3rd person view controls, where you rotate the view around the character who looks bored around, instead to face what I mean the character to face.

And I absolutely hate to not be able to walk backward to take few steps back before a run up to jump (like old TR). I so hate it when they turn around and run toward me when I just want to make a step backward.
I love it how in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, the slowest movement speed allows you to let the character move backward slowly. It's so awesome to disappear in a shadow by slowly walking backward into it, it's cinematic and does not destroy the immersion like a silly turn around, the way most 3rd person games make it these days.

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2013, 09:55
TRU controls were best.

My dream is a behind head camera, so when you move the view with the mouse, Lara is turning her head there aswell. That means that you'd also have that awesome classical backward step and leap and to turn around you'd move the camera around.

I hate the modern 3rd person view controls, where you rotate the view around the character who looks bored around, instead to face what I mean the character to face.

And I absolutely hate to not be able to walk backward to take few steps back before a run up to jump (like old TR). I so hate it when they turn around and run toward me when I just want to make a step backward.
I love it how in Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, the slowest movement speed allows you to let the character move backward slowly. It's so awesome to disappear in a shadow by slowly walking backward into it, it's cinematic and does not destroy the immersion like a silly turn around, the way most 3rd person games make it these days.

never really had any issues with these controls. also cant say that i miss walking backwards. was actually pretty normal for me that the character turns towards the camera when you want him/her to go back. also i think its better that way since they move faster instead this slowly walking backwards in a moment you want to hide/disappear quickly.

Psychomorph
15th Nov 2013, 00:47
Should depend on the movement speed. I think it is actually good if Lara turns around and moves "toward you", IF she's running, because it looks silly to see her run backward full speed, but if she's walking and sneaking, than it feels more natural if she's actually moving backward.
I kind of instinctively always tried this in the newer TR's. Always wanted to just take few steps backward in order to run up and jump over a gap, but always found myself annoyed and displeased when she turned around.

Please Eidos, allow to use the option for actual backward movement when in the slow paced movement modes (walk, sneak). The run would then still make her turn around the way it is now. Those who like it the way it is now can always leave this option off.

And if walking backward, using the jump button could make her actually make that short backward leap like in the classical TR games.

hirogen
26th Jan 2014, 19:55
I always played the PC version of tomb raider, until "legend" came out.
The controls where completely different, unplayable.
I have not completed the game because of these stupid controls.
If they dont fix the controls, at least let them fix one thing, the forward control.

In Legend, when Lara faces to the left, to the right or towards you,
and you press the forward control, in stead of walking forward (as in all other versions) she turned away and ran away !!! What stupid idiot ever thought up this ? I cannot believe anyone can be that stupid.

Classico
26th Jan 2014, 19:58
Blame the consoles. When they introduced the new controller they had to alter the command and control system to better mate with it. The PC was left with the bad effects of this.

But still, they could have found a way to bring the mouse into the picture without changing the entire camera and movement system. But you see, the game is all about Lara and in order to be able to see her from all angles all of the time it was necessary to disconnect Lara's movements from the camera. So the controller change mated well with the desire to showcase Lara in the environment, and those gamers who play the game to see what Lara is going to do (in the heavily cinematic and automated games that Crystal Dynamics are producing) were ecstatic. But those PC gamers who played the classic game as an extension of themselves were for the most part not happy with the changes wrought.