PDA

View Full Version : No AUD's: Should I just start over?

Prozac
21st Sep 2013, 17:41
Hey everyone. I'm a little bit frustrated with the game at the moment. Because even though I just purchased the
Explosive Mission Pack, which is supposed to include Automatic Unlocking Device (AUD) early on in the game. But, I don't see any AUDs in my inventory, and I'm at a lock that I cannot hack. So I can go no further in the game, since I can't hack locks the old fashioned way. I know, I fail. :(:o

The hacking is why I put the game aside several months ago, and also why I bought the DLC with the Autohack tool. Seems a shame to not to be able to play Deus Ex, because the parts I've played have been really fun. That's why I was wondering if I should start a new game - maybe there will be a nice supply of AUDs laying around - at the start of the game, and I can move forward.

Any thoughts? Thx Prozac :mad2: :confused:

Jerion
21st Sep 2013, 18:50
There is always a second/third way around an obstacle such as a locked door, or they make the hacking rating level 1 to ensure that you can get through it. You don't need to go through this door if it is secured with a high hack rating. It may be a non-essential side area, or there may be a side path around it.

That said, only some DLC items are immediately dropped into the inventory. Others are scattered throughout the game world, such as the grenade launcher and AUDs. As long as you got the thank-you notice at the start of the first mission (not the prologue), AUDs will be present in the game world.

Prozac
21st Sep 2013, 18:59
Thanks for the feedback Jerion, I'll see if I can find away around. I'm still hoping to get those AUD. :)

-Neon-
22nd Sep 2013, 15:50
Is it not possible to blow the door open?

Prozac
22nd Sep 2013, 16:18
I don't know. I've never tried that. I guess I could plant some remote detonated explosives on the door, I just hadn't thought of that.

CyberP
22nd Sep 2013, 19:40
Is it not possible to blow the door open?

Not those doors I don't think. Only weak-looking ones.

Seriously though, the hacking is simple and easy, Prozac. I recommend getting your head around it.

JCpies
22nd Sep 2013, 19:40
The compulsory hacks are usually level 1 anyway, so what's keeping you from the hacking, lack of enjoyment?

Prozac
22nd Sep 2013, 21:22
Seriously though, the hacking is simple and easy, Prozac. I recommend getting your head around it.

Maybe you're right Cyber.

The compulsory hacks are usually level 1 anyway, so what's keeping you from the hacking, lack of enjoyment?

Mainly lack of skill JCpie. And lack of enjoyment. Perhaps if got the skills, I could hack them no problem. But that's a big IF. It's like, I hate them atm, but if suddenly I was super hacker! I might even enjoy them. But when I look at the Matrix that is: a door to be hacked, look inside, click hack, I just start banging around like a monkey on crack....all I'm really doing is hoping, just hoping...I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :D

Thanks for these posts though.

xaduha2
22nd Sep 2013, 22:16
There are some things I'd like to say, but I'll say this instead:
0) Use a PC
1) Go here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121245)
2) Install as specified
3) Open the game, load a save, press ESC, open Debug/Burger Menu
4) There's a Shop menu, you can use it to get AUDs/Stop worms/Nukes/Everything

http://www.shrani.si/f/2y/VB/4OENp4eK/debug1.jpg

Otherwise - use your head, you know. Comes in handy.

Shralla
22nd Sep 2013, 22:19
You are too nice xaduha.

No offense, but if you can't be bothered to learn the basics of one of the most important and prevalent mechanics in the game then maybe this isn't the game for you.

Prozac
23rd Sep 2013, 00:38
@xaduha2: Thank you so much for sharing this mod. I will put it to use post haste! :)

@shralla:
No offense, but if you can't be bothered to learn the basics of one of the most important and prevalent mechanics in the game then maybe this isn't the game for you.

No offense taken, shralla. But, is it really that prevalent and important in the game? I thought Deus Ex was supposed to be a fps/rpg hybrid game. I can't see the need to solve complex intricate puzzles as an important part of the experience. Also, why would they make an Automatic Utility Device at all if some players of the game would rather bypass the need to hack. ;)

Shralla
23rd Sep 2013, 01:35
They made it to boost pre-order sales and add incentive for people who are too impatient to actually play the game. Do you think you're going to get an unlimited number of AUDs? That you're never going to need to hack? Yes it really is that important, even more important than hacking in the original Deus Ex. And no, it isn't intricate or complex at all. It's very simple and very easy.

Since when are puzzles not a classic part of RPGs? Even so, Bioshock was a straight up FPS that required you to solve superficially similar puzzles. Why not expect it from a game that is much more of an RPG?

Prozac
23rd Sep 2013, 02:52
It's all good bro. :)

HERESY
23rd Sep 2013, 18:24
No offense taken, shralla. But, is it really that prevalent and important in the game? I thought Deus Ex was supposed to be a fps/rpg hybrid game. I can't see the need to solve complex intricate puzzles as an important part of the experience.

????????????????????????:scratch:

JCpies
23rd Sep 2013, 19:04
The hacking isn't even a puzzle, so I don't see what trouble there is unless you or your machine are handicapped in some way.

Prozac
23rd Sep 2013, 20:35
I don't see what trouble there is unless you or your machine are handicapped in some way.

LOL! Way to knock it out of the park on political correctness! :D Now, on the serious side why should anyone care how I play the game. Why should anyone care if I bypass door switches with an AUD that was sold to me from the very makers of Deus Ex. To me it's simple, I wasn't having fun with the game before, and now I am. And shouldn't our goal be to have playing the games we buy? :scratch:

AlexOfSpades
23rd Sep 2013, 20:57
Dude does whatever he wants.

I admit the hacking puzzle was one of the most satisfying things in DX:HR for me though - i was often hacking things i didnt need just because it was great.

Prozac
23rd Sep 2013, 21:00
Dude does whatever he wants.

I admit the hacking puzzle was one of the most satisfying things in DX:HR for me though - i was often hacking things i didnt need just because it was great.

And I think that's totally awesome. If I could hack like you, Alex, I would be extremely happy - then I could put away my AUDs. :)

Shralla
23rd Sep 2013, 21:52
Why should anyone care if I bypass door switches with an AUD that was sold to me from the very makers of Deus Ex.

Because now you're just giving yourself infinite AUDs so you don't have to engage in a part of the game that is meant to be absolutely necessary, all because you tried hacking like three times and decided you just didn't want to bother. It's laziness, pure and simple. You don't want to play the game, you want to play the game you think it should have been because like I said, you can't be bothered to learn how to play the hacking minigame. You're literally skipping the game experience so you can have an unrelated "fun experience." You might as well be asking me what the problem is with skipping boss fights in Megaman. I mean you played the rest of the level, right?

Prozac
24th Sep 2013, 02:53
Because now you're just giving yourself infinite AUDs so you don't have to engage in a part of the game that is meant to be absolutely necessary, all because you tried hacking like three times and decided you just didn't want to bother. It's laziness, pure and simple. You don't want to play the game, you want to play the game you think it should have been because like I said, you can't be bothered to learn how to play the hacking minigame. You're literally skipping the game experience so you can have an unrelated "fun experience." You might as well be asking me what the problem is with skipping boss fights in Megaman. I mean you played the rest of the level, right?

Shralla, you can b.itch all you want, but I'm still having fun playing Deus Ex using the tools that the game developers have provided me. It's sad to me that you get this bent out of shape, over a video game. You must be one of those people that think video games are real life. Well they're not. Get over it! ;)

Shralla
24th Sep 2013, 05:10
You're right, video games exist outside of real life just like all art and therefore should never be critiqued, criticized, or appreciated for anything other than superficial entertainment value. And because of that it's okay to skip scenes or you don't like in movies and books, and ignore the parts of paintings and drawings you're not fond of.

Prozac
24th Sep 2013, 05:58
Dude, you've got extreme issues... I'm done here, I hope you get help and I hope you get better - I really do.

CyberP
24th Sep 2013, 12:26
Lol wut? He took criticism very well up 'till now. Everyone has their breaking point I guess. It's why the devs do not read this forum I predict, otherwise they would inevitably want to wring our necks.

What a shame he wasn't prepared to spend 2 mins understanding hacking. It, the mini-game itself not including the horrible related design such as xp, was one of the greatest innovations in Human Revolution imo. Shame it was overdone, multitools and lockpicks should have been present.

Shralla
24th Sep 2013, 20:36
I don't even see how my last response could be construed as being unreasonable or how it could suggest (as he so eloquently put it) that I have "issues." I may not be HR's biggest fan and I may think it has plenty of genuine issues, but I also think that a piece of art should be experienced for what it is (which is why I think the whole "just don't use highlighting, just don't use third-person" arguments are stupid). If, after you've gotten through a majority of the game while using all the default systems, you decide that you'd like to change some things, go right ahead. I bumped up ammo stacks to the minimum increase available through the mod. But don't start the game begging for what are essentially cheating devices because you just don't want to learn said systems.

You say the developers provided you with these tools, but they didn't. Even if you had gotten your DLC AUDs, there would have been very few of them and you would still have to hack 90% of the stuff you came across if you wanted to see the other side. But like I said, now you're just pumping yourself full of them, completely destroying any real sense of exploration or the accomplishment that comes from it.

Prozac
25th Sep 2013, 01:22
I don't even see how my last response could be construed as being unreasonable or how it could suggest (as he so eloquently put it) that I have "issues." I may not be HR's biggest fan and I may think it has plenty of genuine issues, but I also think that a piece of art should be experienced for what it is (which is why I think the whole "just don't use highlighting, just don't use third-person" arguments are stupid). If, after you've gotten through a majority of the game while using all the default systems, you decide that you'd like to change some things, go right ahead. I bumped up ammo stacks to the minimum increase available through the mod. But don't start the game begging for what are essentially cheating devices because you just don't want to learn said systems.

You say the developers provided you with these tools, but they didn't. Even if you had gotten your DLC AUDs, there would have been very few of them and you would still have to hack 90% of the stuff you came across if you wanted to see the other side. But like I said, now you're just pumping yourself full of them, completely destroying any real sense of exploration or the accomplishment that comes from it.

You see, now you're just arguing to the wind. How's that working out for you? ;) FFS let it go...

HERESY
25th Sep 2013, 04:41
http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

Prozac
25th Sep 2013, 05:46
LOL! :lol:

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2013, 06:24
Hey Prozac, if you need any help with the hacking just ask. Do you know how they work, and what you're supposed to do? Personally, i find them very simple!

Prozac
25th Sep 2013, 15:20
I appreciate that, that's nice of you to offer, Alex. I figured there would be people on the forum that would be pretty willing to show me the ropes. I actually do want to learn how to do them. The AUDs I've been using are just a way to keep the game flowing and fun, until I could learn how to hack - but as I'm sure you've seen - some people are all "hack or go to hell!". I'll send you a pm and we can go from there. Believe it or not, I'm very teachable. But if I can't get good at them, I'll definitely go back to my AUDs with no guilt. :D

besyuziki
26th Sep 2013, 20:50
Really now, if you are doing everything else in the game without trouble, the hacking minigame is a no-brainer. You also get shiny experience points and credits, so as long as you have time you should go on and hack everything even when you have access to passwords (I don't know if this was intended by the devs or was an overlook).

I'm not judging though, having optional goodies is always nice, but when a minigame is required for progress it can be tedious and offputting, I hated the ones in Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, which were simple but too repetitive.