PDA

View Full Version : "Deus Ex Universe" trademarked

Shralla
12th Sep 2013, 20:34
Let the speculation begin! Can't say I like the sound of "Hitman Go." Sounds like a Hitman version of The Fall. But what is this "universe" they're talking about in regards to Deus Ex? Maybe some kind of community or something?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/new-deus-ex-and-hitman-trademarks-filed-in-europe

As discovered by Siliconera and verified by IGN, three new trademarks were filed for in Europe on September 10. In the case of Hitman, there are two trademarks, one for "Hitman Sniper" and one for "Hitman Go." The Deus Ex trademark is for something called "Deus Ex Universe."

HERESY
12th Sep 2013, 21:00
Most likely a MMO. I doubt it will be an HD version of previous relics, all lumped up in one box.

CyberP
12th Sep 2013, 21:40
Most likely a MMO.

Don't want to speculate or be negative....but yes, likely yet another something that strays further from the original concept into lesser directions in the name of money.

Please make me eat my words.

relics

Stop that. And there is no need for HD anything when there are mods.

Ashpolt
12th Sep 2013, 22:17
Oh sweet baby jesus, please don't let this be an MMO.

CyberP
12th Sep 2013, 22:19
Oh sweet baby jesus, please don't let this be an MMO.

The name has MMO written all over it :(

nomotog
12th Sep 2013, 22:22
I always thought that a DX mmo could end up being the best mmo ever but, it's unlikely to be an mmo. The market just can't bare any more. You can't even give this stuff away anymore.

CyberP
12th Sep 2013, 22:27
If a lot of thought and effort was put into it, yes it could be good, but a far cry from DX itself. It would be a game not an Immersive Sim.
Especially with players bunny-hopping around breaking my immersion too :lol:

****, it's gonna have contexual jumping now too....

nomotog
12th Sep 2013, 22:38
If a lot of thought and effort was put into it, yes it could be good, but a far cry from DX itself. It would be a game not an Immersive Sim.
Especially with players bunny-hopping around breaking my immersion too :lol:

DX is the kind of setting where it could work. A lot of thing like the HUD or local chat could be actual in universe details rather then game overlay. Because your a cyborg and that can be used to justifie different game elements as in universe elements. You could also tease with other elements. Like you might read in the paper that some defective leg augments have been malfunctioning caucusing the owner to jump constantly. Making light of the fact that players tend to jump everywhere.

FrankCSIS
12th Sep 2013, 22:41
How would an MMO even work? How do you justify having thousands of augmented agents running loose in the universe?

There might be a market for people with all sorts of augmentations bashing at each other. Hell, that'd probably be pretty fun. But don't tie yourselves down to the DX universe. Tribes was pretty gangster. People love that ****, myself included. Just go ahead and make your own augmented multiplayer FPS or tactical shooter game.

Despite the name, it has got to be something else!

68_pie
12th Sep 2013, 22:42
I always thought that a DX mmo could end up being the best mmo ever

Did you play Neocron or Face of Mankind?

Triangletooth
12th Sep 2013, 22:54
Universe does sound like an mmo. But Hitman Go is possibly the silliest title I have heard in a while.

nomotog
12th Sep 2013, 22:58
How would an MMO even work? How do you justify having thousands of augmented agents running loose in the universe?

There might be a market for people with all sorts of augmentations bashing at each other. Hell, that'd probably be pretty fun. But don't tie yourselves down to the DX universe. Tribes was pretty gangster. People love that ****, myself included. Just go ahead and make your own augmented multiplayer FPS or tactical shooter game.

Despite the name, it has got to be something else!

Well I recall seeing a lot of augmented people in HR. Just standing around.

FrankCSIS
12th Sep 2013, 23:37
Yeah but having them running around with guns and getting involved in transhumanist conspiracies?

Really, it'd be so much easier to make another game entirely, to avoid being tied down by the whole DX universe.

nomotog
13th Sep 2013, 02:01
Well did you ask them. :P Neither CJ or Jensen actually looked like they where packing heat or that they where part of some global conspiracy.

AlexOfSpades
13th Sep 2013, 04:52
I'm not afraid of an mmo. I'm afraid of a bad mmo.

Shralla
13th Sep 2013, 05:07
Universe SOUNDS like an MMO, but I sincerely doubt it. MMOs are not the cash cows they once were. There's no longer any kind of guaranteed return on that type of game, especially since the free-to-play revolution. I can't see Deus Ex being the target of a MOBA-like, nor does the name really fit.

It would seem like as good a time as any to repackage the old games in a newer format, graphical updates or no. Deus Ex Universe could be like a Deus Ex "starter kit" to help you get into the universe.

AlexOfSpades
13th Sep 2013, 05:09
I recall seeing a UT1 -> Ut2004 map converter. And a UT-2004 -> UT3 map converter, too. So conversions are possible.

PLS BE DEUS EX 1 AND IW IN UE4 PLS EIDOS PLS

JCpies
13th Sep 2013, 06:51
Universe SOUNDS like an MMO, but I sincerely doubt it. MMOs are not the cash cows they once were. There's no longer any kind of guaranteed return on that type of game, especially since the free-to-play revolution. I can't see Deus Ex being the target of a MOBA-like, nor does the name really fit.

It would seem like as good a time as any to repackage the old games in a newer format, graphical updates or no. Deus Ex Universe could be like a Deus Ex "starter kit" to help you get into the universe.

I agree with Shralla.

It could also be some community app, or hell even an encyclopaedia or art book.

No need to jump to the conclusion of MMO.

HERESY
13th Sep 2013, 09:15
What was the publishers latest release?

Lucifer
13th Sep 2013, 09:47
I think they want move further and port Deus Ex to another platform like Pegasus.Well the title "Universe" speaks for itself.

Jerion
13th Sep 2013, 13:01
I really doubt it's a MMO. The brand isn't known for multiplayer, and EM hasn't expressed any desire to venture into multiplayer territory with their DX games. This sounds like it could be a combo pack that includes all games (full-scale and mobile) or maybe a board game based on the universe. Or it could even be a catch-all community website or app.

CyberP
13th Sep 2013, 14:22

Don't forget Elder Scrolls: Online. There's definately something to be gained there, apparently.

Who knows what it is, but whatever it is it doesn't sound like a Deus Ex 4.

besyuziki
13th Sep 2013, 15:18
Unless it's a designation for a community site/hub like Jerion said, and if the the name is indeed trademarked for games, the word "universe" implies departure from the original structure of the Deus Ex series, maybe more mobile games or an MMO (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3sAI0CvcRxM/TXdAqp9KBRI/AAAAAAAAADA/5M3rbbcJHnY/s1600/1264654159330.png).

Beats me why Square bigwigs are trying these risky, experimental moves. Why can't they just release Deus Ex 4 with all strengths and none of the acknowledged weaknesses of Human Revolution? In terms of sales and user reception, HR was a success, wasn't it? So why pursue success somewhere else?

CyberP
13th Sep 2013, 15:34
Beats me why Square bigwigs are trying these risky, experimental moves. Why can't they just release Deus Ex 4 with all strengths and none of the acknowledged weaknesses of Human Revolution? In terms of sales and user reception, HR was a success, wasn't it? So why pursue success somewhere else?

Why? Greater profits. Safe investments. The Fall didn't seem to be risky to me, what with all the recycling and that it's just a small package, whereas DX4 does unless it's casual to the core. If the Fall failed their losses would have been trivial compared to releasing a fresh DX4 and it flops.

I want them to make DX4 on HR's engine tbh. Recycling half of HR's art assets, having a lot of stuff already layed out for them, namely code & art assets? This would allow them to make the greatest game of all time with a reasonable investment as long as they have the design talent.
Engine means little when you have great gameplay, music, level design and story, as DX1 shows.
This is the only hope for that Deus Ex game most of us want by this studio. And no, same engine doesn't mean the gold theme must stay, it doesn't mean we cannot have more interactive objects it doesn't mean it cannot be greatest game of all time. What truly matters is design, not engine, again, as Deus Ex shows.

Unfortunately it will not happen, because that is too risky I guess, what with all the graphics whores whining about 2011 graphics, graphics which are more than amazing.
The best we can hope for is a Human Revolution 2, a proper Deus Ex game is just too hardcore and risky for the kind of budget SE want to invest.

Reven
13th Sep 2013, 15:49
It sounds to be more of Squares movement into the mobile, ipad, PC market that they were talking about focusing more on a while ago then a fully fledged MMO. Which isn't exactly something SE is really in the shape to fund or produce right now especially after running and funding further development on the failed Final Fantasy 15 for the past few years.

besyuziki
13th Sep 2013, 16:00
Why? Greater profits.

When I said risky I was referring to the possible MMO more than mobile games. Considering their scale, cost and possibility of recycling (as seen in DX: The Fall if that's an indication), mobile games are not as risky of course, whereas an MMO would require them to build almost everything from scratch.

I want them to make DX4 on HR's engine tbh.

Back when they announced Human Revolution's engine, their decision to use a modified Crystal engine caused a tantrum didn't it? I remember being concerned about the decision myself. But if it will fasten the development process of DX4, and considering the familiarity of the devs to it, I'm all for bringing it back.

They even have the perfect example, New Vegas. It was built on the infrastructure of Fallout 3, same piece of junk Gamebyro and same butt fugly models, but Obsidian's touch and attention to seemingly minor details made a big difference, and IMO it's a better game in almost every way.

FrankCSIS
13th Sep 2013, 16:28
I really doubt it's a MMO. The brand isn't known for multiplayer, and EM hasn't expressed any desire to venture into multiplayer territory with their DX games. This sounds like it could be a combo pack that includes all games (full-scale and mobile) or maybe a board game based on the universe. Or it could even be a catch-all community website or app.

Yeaaaahh, I'm leaning towards global site for all things related to DX. They can't really host the mobile info on the Human Revolution site. And their home site will become more confusing, when new franchises will be officially out, like Thief and their still unknown third project. Seems logical to have a proper hub for the DX stuff. I guess the success of The Fall will determine if new mobile games will be done, but it seems they have large plans for this, what with installments and other stuff that were hinted.

Makes more sense than MMO, anyway. Ve shall seeeee.

CyberP
13th Sep 2013, 17:07
Back when they announced Human Revolution's engine, their decision to use a modified Crystal engine caused a tantrum didn't it? I remember being concerned about the decision myself. But if it will fasten the development process of DX4, and considering the familiarity of the devs to it, I'm all for bringing it back.

They even have the perfect example, New Vegas. It was built on the infrastructure of Fallout 3, same piece of junk Gamebyro and same butt fugly models, but Obsidian's touch and attention to seemingly minor details made a big difference, and IMO it's a better game in almost every way.

Yes indeed.

Shralla
13th Sep 2013, 19:57
Didn't play any better. Crystal engine sucks and is the reason for a great number of the limitations on Human Revolution. If they don't replace it, I won't play it. I can't imagine anybody else buying a game that looks like HR on next-gen systems either. Nor should they be expected to.

Reven
13th Sep 2013, 20:39
I forgot to put this in my early post. http://www.shacknews.com/article/81070/square-enix-poor-hitman-and-tomb-raider-sales-reflect-intrinsic
Sales of Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution and Tomb Raider fell short of Square Enix's expectations, sparking the publisher to launch a costly restructuring. The problem, Squeenix has said in its annual report, but "an intrinsic problem within the HD game business model." It's just not sensible to work on a game for years, losing money, then release it and hope you'll make enough back, it says.

Square Enix says that games were "critically-acclaimed" (which is debatable) and it considers them successful from a development perspective, but the money part was the problem.

The console market is still primarily driven by boxed copies of games on store shelves, it says (noting that digital distribution is "becoming the mainstream" for PC and DLC), but oodles of games are flooding in and retailers are becoming picky about stocking them.

To get attention into the crowded market it offered "considerable incentive programs" to retailers, "such as price protection, back-end rebates, and promotional cooperation costs." While this helped ship boatloads of copies to stores, it lowered the profits on each.

As making a big fancy game takes years, its current model is to spend money all through that then hope it makes it back at the end. Which is a bit of a gamble. "Profit opportunities are almost non-existent during the game development phase," it notes. Other than irritating pre-order campaigns, of course.

One might point to the alpha-funding craze on PC which is letting people play games early and fund development, but it's jolly unlikely any major publisher would venture into that in any serious way.

It may help to put light on current thinking at the top.

Lucifer
13th Sep 2013, 20:53
I agree that Crystal Dynamics is outdated.I will remind you that we are in 2013.The technology moved forward.Strong title like Deus Ex 4 needs new generation engine. If they want to improve everthing and make something epic they should start from new engine ,write new one or I dont know buy license for frostbite 3 ?

EricaLeeV
13th Sep 2013, 20:58
I forgot to put this in my early post. http://www.shacknews.com/article/81070/square-enix-poor-hitman-and-tomb-raider-sales-reflect-intrinsic

It may help to put light on current thinking at the top.

Thanks for making me worried Reven.

Actually, it reminds me of this insightful video by MrBToungue about another small company that was bought by a bigger one...

A6TmTv6deTI

Slightly relevant? Ah, who am I kidding, I would take every opportunity I could to link this guy's videos.

Ilves
13th Sep 2013, 22:45
Slightly relevant? Ah, who am I kidding, I would take every opportunity I could to link this guy's videos.

And I'll take any to rewatch each of and every one of them. So cheers.

This dude needs to come out of hibernation, fast.

CyberP
14th Sep 2013, 00:38
Didn't play any better. Crystal engine sucks and is the reason for a great number of the limitations on Human Revolution.

Maybe, but none of the limitations that any of us actually care/complain about or notice.

I agree that Crystal Dynamics is outdated.I will remind you that we are in 2013.The technology moved forward.Strong title like Deus Ex 4 needs new generation engine. If they want to improve everthing and make something epic they should start from new engine ,write new one or I dont know buy license for frostbite 3 ?

Gamebyro is outdated. I'd happily have the next Fallout on it again than the creation engine as creation will end up resulting in dumbing down cos the higher graphical fidelity and new assets the higher the budget resulting in higher risk which leads to the bastardization.

Perhaps they are modifying Crystal further even. Still be able to recycle a lot that way and the devs will be comfortable with it. Not that I am big on recycling, but for some things it's just standard anyway.

Lucifer
14th Sep 2013, 10:06
Engine for DX4.Stunning and amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJD8DMasCU

its revolutionary online rpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF45X7JO9Hw

they pushed to the limits, I am shocked

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/TheDivisionLogo.jpg

CyberP
14th Sep 2013, 12:54
All new games will look amazing. But how will they play? Simplistically and with tablet players intervening by launching drone strikes at the tap of a screen? Looks like it and I'm not surprised. More spectacular modern design, gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks.

Never liked Tom Clancy games anyway, even Splinter Cell. They are the TPP versions of MMS: dull, simplistic and often contextual movement mechanics, which even MMS doesn't do. I'll take Dark Souls II, looks like that's on the same engine as the first too, likely modified, either way I don't give a ****, I just want good games.

JCpies
14th Sep 2013, 13:30
I want to see the next Rainbow Six game.

Kevin0Regan
19th Sep 2013, 19:06
Perhaps it is actually the name for the 8bit game they pranked about but subsequently want to release? If you check their website, they actually want to go ahead with it, if they get the support and it includes both Jensen and Denton, in a way that would be the 'Universe' coming together.

Deus Ex Website link: http://www.deusex.com/humandefiance
Deus Ex Blog link for the prank: http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/For-the-Lulz

Also, as Human Defiance has been noted for the Deus Ex movie, that might explain why a new trademark was needed for the game, which in all likelihood will be a mobile game.

JCpies
19th Sep 2013, 20:57
I don't think the 8-bit is immersive enough, but I would buy a 2D Deus Ex game if it had good graphics.

I think they could surpass Human Revolution in the 2D medium.

They still must have many yellow pixels left over.

EliParker
25th Sep 2013, 12:19
I don't think it will be a MMO. IMO it will be a term used to encompass all Deus Ex related media, ranging from console game, mobile game, novel, comic book, etc. Square Enix did something in those lines before with compilation of final fantasy vii, ivalice alliance, The World of Mana, and Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy.

-Neon-
25th Sep 2013, 15:12
B-but... think of all the "HUP"s as the entire community bunny hops together! It would be the best MMO ever! There would be no fighting, no talking, no questing. Just HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP HUP
http://31.media.tumblr.com/736d8bf156a45d10d2425c266806160d/tumblr_mj9szyTd231s7xvilo1_500.png

Snake04
28th Sep 2013, 00:58
I spotted this recently on the net and I'm hoping its not a MMO even though that name hints at it being one. If it is a MMO I will officially give up on eidos montreal and any future deus ex games cause what's the point when they just turn the franchise into something its not. In another news seems like the fall might be coming to consoles and Pc. Link: www.deusexcentral.com/news/2013/09/2401/.
Not sure if its true but if it is I hope they improve the games graphics and such.