PDA

View Full Version : Option to turn off blood

nevillet
10th Sep 2013, 20:11
Hi guys, this is a message to the Devs, if possible.

I've been a solid Tomb Raider fan for 15 years. I love the franchise, and went through my normal routine when I bought TR9 Survival Edition - I went dark. I stayed off the forums so as not to be spoiled, hunkered down in the living room, turned up the speakers, got out the junk food and went into full immersal mode.

I loved it! The shipwreck, the base camps, the upgrades (please keep those), the collectibles, the bow, the hunting, the bunker, the atmosphere, the graphics, the lighting. It was awesome.

But after the first couple of hours it all just degenerated into a gore-fest. Now, I understand that some people loved this aspect. To me, it tainted the whole rest of the game, which I played simply to complete. It is the only TR game that I only played once and then shelved. In fact, the only subsequent level I actually enjoyed was the forest level where you had to sneak past the guards, or get them at long distance, so there was no in-your-face stuff.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people like me, so I'd just like to make one small request - keep all the hard work and general awesomeness you put into the new game, but just give us one small tick box to turn off the blood. Even better, give us the option to skirt battles through stealth, even if it turns out to be a longer or more difficult path. That would give people the option of solo traversal and exploration (taking the long/hard way), or brute-force your way through the short/hard way.

This is the longest post I've ever written, but I really really really want to enjoy the next name without cringing all the time or being afraid the kids will walk in.

Having some sort of stealth option or more side quests would also improve replayability, which was pretty sucky this time around.

Thanks for listening.

VaBanes
10th Sep 2013, 20:16
I like blood -> not like in a Narnja movie, where thousands of people die and there is no blood^^. But it should be realistic and not too much. When you shot an enemie in the new TR, the blood splatter was way too big and looked also really unrealistic in my opinion.

metzymems
11th Sep 2013, 00:02
Yup, it was a gorefest. I would also like to see less gore. It was pretty gruesome at times and I would rather not have Lara wading through body parts a blood rivers - or poo streams come to think of it!

Wh1t3Kn1te
11th Sep 2013, 00:29
i would like it if they made the next game where we wont need an option to remove blood, like less killing more exploring for instance, but i do agree with what your suggesting.

not everyone is happy with them turning this franchise into a shooter, just because thats the "in" thing to do nowadays.

d1n0_xD
11th Sep 2013, 10:42
Blood is not a big deal for me, but yeah, having options is always cool :) And not only "Gore on/off", there should be like "Gore: None/little/realistic/Quentin Tarantino movie" :D

Sophiafan
11th Sep 2013, 13:11
I didn't mind the blood but I think the main issue was just an imballence in the gameplay that had too much combat and not enough exploration/puzzles. I would love to see a big interior level system that has many tasks to do like St Frances Folly or Lost City of Tinnos with lots of jumps, boulders and traps rather than just combat.

Stelth is also an aspect I would like to see more of as the Summit forest section was really cool. There were a few bits where Lara did seem really injured and you thought how could she still be standing or not have perminant damage so I hope they don't push Lara's cutscene injuries any further.

ActionHero
11th Sep 2013, 19:14
I don't mind a bit of the blood, like if you shoot the "please just end it" guy in the base after you take his machine gun or the blood on the floor of the little shack Roth is sitting in after Lara encounters him with the wolf. It's realistic but it's not excessive.

The only blood that really bugged me (other than the bloody river) was the blood that'd show up on the edge of the screen. I realize it's a way to show damage, but it was a little unsettling at first.

And I say this as a horror movie fan! :P

imported_JP_S
12th Sep 2013, 07:41
I kinda have to agree here. For me Lara was about exploring caves and doing handstands which no normal person could actually make, so for me there was a bit too much combat. The blood obviously comes with combat, and that I didn't mind, neither the river of blood at a certain moment as it was all part of the story.
And that is exactly the point, the story currently told (IMHO) is preparing Lara from what we've seen in TR9 (Tomb Raider 2013) a 21 year old that has a lot to go through to become that Lara that we remember from the 1996 Tomb Raider.
I would be very happy when Lara slightly progresses (keep this finally natural look) to the first Tomb Raider, and that obviously comes with different tasks and experiences.

Though I would agree to more raiding of tombs than shooting your way through a game CoD/Unreal/Doom/Wolfenstein style.

sanriela
12th Sep 2013, 16:27
Turn of the blood ? You must be joking. Maybe one day someone shall want to see turn of death.Come on. This game its rated 18. with a reason. I dont like the idea to see some soft Lara. I think the gore make the game so good. It was about surviving after all.

d1n0_xD
12th Sep 2013, 16:41
^ The guy is just asking for an option to turn it off, not excluding it from the game entirely.

nevillet
12th Sep 2013, 20:47
Yep, just one little tick box.... please!

Also, longer exploration paths and more complex puzzles - that's the true core of Tomb Raider.

nevillet
14th Sep 2013, 02:25
Actually, I just replayed Uncharted 3 (ummm sorry - is that a swear word on this forum?)

Anyhow IMHO, Naughty Dog got it right here - the difficulty setting affects combat, from "Very Easy" all the way up to brutal/bloody/gory. But the puzzles and exploration remain the same no matter what combat difficulty you select. Perfect!

(PS don't worry, Lara is still my favorite. Brains and beauty wins every time over Gung-ho She'll-be-right Just-close-your-eyes-and-pray tactics. You're just lucky, Nate, not smart).

d1n0_xD
14th Sep 2013, 09:39
Know what would be cool? Difficutly options for puzzles too :D

_Ninja_
14th Sep 2013, 11:02
They would also have to remove death scenes to do that.

nevillet
14th Sep 2013, 20:50
Know what would be cool? Difficutly options for puzzles too :D

Agreed! TR9's "puzzles" were far to basic.

Driber
15th Sep 2013, 14:17
nevillet, did you post your wish in the official TR10 wishlist? It's a sticky thread in this forum :)

Turn of the blood ? You must be joking. Maybe one day someone shall want to see turn of death.Come on. This game its rated 18. with a reason. I dont like the idea to see some soft Lara. I think the gore make the game so good. It was about surviving after all.

What does the age rating of the game have to do with anything?

Do you think that every child can't stand the sight of blood, but that once they turn 18 they are all suddenly okay with it?

It's a personal thing whether or not you're comfortable with blood. Having an option in the menu to turn it off will help getting more people to play the game while at the same time not harming those who do want to see blood.

So I don't see what's so laughable about this request :scratch:

Actually, I just replayed Uncharted 3 (ummm sorry - is that a swear word on this forum?)

Yes, it is :mad:

Please don't mention the U-word again or you will be banned!

I kid, of course :D

nevillet
15th Sep 2013, 21:59
nevillet, did you post your wish in the official TR10 wishlist? It's a sticky thread in this forum :)

Oh, right - sorry! Will do now. I'd hate to be in uncharted territory on the wrong thread....

Anyhow, must go have lunch before art education class :whistle:

imported_JP_S
16th Sep 2013, 05:50
That really would be great. Not only a setting easy/normal/difficult/hardcore for combat

I really have a problem in TR9 where
I just saved Samantha and fled the burning down palace and returned to the village to regroup with Samantha where hordes and hordes of men keep coming.

I've tried about everything and can't continue... kinda stuck here :mad2:

Now the idea of a difficulty setting for puzzles would be nice too; for me Tomb Raider is (was) mostly about solving puzzles and killing the odd animal or enemy.
I am/was a bit overwhealmed when playing TR9...

I guess it is also bad mentioning playing Assassin's Creed? :D

a_big_house
16th Sep 2013, 15:47
^ Do you mean the mountain summit area? If so, you have to stealth that (Mostly)

imported_JP_S
18th Sep 2013, 08:04
^ Do you mean the mountain summit area? If so, you have to stealth that (Mostly)

No, I think here I just have to run and kill...

I assume "The Mountain Summit" is where Lara travels to get herself medical help?

pirate1802
18th Sep 2013, 09:08
No, I think here I just have to run and kill...

I assume "The Mountain Summit" is where Lara travels to get herself medical help?

The summit mountain is a tricky area. You have to stealth your way through it and make sure they don't detect you and let the wolves out. It was one of my favouite areas in the game. :D

And Assassins Creed is my favourite franchise (even moar favourite than TR) Its just that it has been made stale by yearly releases. Which is why I hope to dear god they don't make yearly releases for TR as well..

imported_JP_S
18th Sep 2013, 12:14
The summit mountain is a tricky area. You have to stealth your way through it and make sure they don't detect you and let the wolves out. It was one of my favouite areas in the game. :D

And Assassins Creed is my favourite franchise (even moar favourite than TR) Its just that it has been made stale by yearly releases. Which is why I hope to dear god they don't make yearly releases for TR as well..

I don't know where that level is... maybe I need to still get there (stealth was early in the game though can't remember the wolves)?

I really love AC! Though I thought they completely missed with AC3... cannot get myself to continue playing that one...

a_big_house
19th Sep 2013, 11:59
Okay, so I get that you've just left the temple and are in the burning village, right? Either way, that part is quite tricky :hmm:

imported_JP_S
22nd Sep 2013, 13:30
Okay, so I get that you've just left the temple and are in the burning village, right? Either way, that part is quite tricky :hmm:

Pretty much :D
Maybe travel to some other camps and upgrade a bit more?

Rai
22nd Sep 2013, 23:52
Hmm, LAU had rubbish gore, practically none and those ragdoll deaths, and then came TR'13 and....poor Lara, I did feel bad for killing her. Some of her deaths I only just discovered on my last playthrough over the weekend. Some of the Solarii deaths and wounds are pretty yuck too. I didn't mind it too much, I felt it wasn't overly done (except for the bloody (<< not swearing as it was actually that :p) stream in the geothermal caverns and all those body bits in quite a few places....ewwww. It wasn't a gore fest exactly though, gore for the sake of it (mostly). It is kind of a shock to the system.

I do understand why some would wish to not see it or for it toned down though. TR has always been violent (exploding bodies, Lara impaled on spikes, anyone?), but the graphics made it all kind of comical almost, but now of course the graphics make it seem so real, except the blood splatters are not that realistic and look like berry juice, imo.

There was a ton of combat though, especially taking note of those particularly large fights. While Tomb Raider has always had combat, TR2 and Legend being example of too much, this game seemed to take it to another level. To the point where it stopped feeling like an adventure-action game and felt like a shooter. At times.

nevillet
23rd Sep 2013, 01:08
Exactly.

Previous Tomb Raiders made you feel like Lara was not a killer - she could be pushed into a corner, but it was not her default behaviour.

TR13 makes her a full-scale homicidal maniac (with everything but the ax).

A choice would be nice - stealth/finesse where possible, brutality only when necessary (or when chosen).

pirate1802
23rd Sep 2013, 03:38
Exactly.

Previous Tomb Raiders made you feel like Lara was not a killer - she could be pushed into a corner, but it was not her default behaviour.

TR13 makes her a full-scale homicidal maniac (with everything but the ax).

A choice would be nice - stealth/finesse where possible, brutality only when necessary (or when chosen).

finesse means here?

nevillet
23rd Sep 2013, 04:54
Finesse. As in elegance, artistry, skill.

I'd like an option to get through a tricky situation by using Lara's skill, as we saw in the Summit Forest - you could choose to either skirt the enemies without them seeing you, or sneak up on them, or just go full-frontal assault. Choices are good.

The full-time gung-ho into-the-fray blow'em'all-to-bits approach is a bit psychopathic.

Lara is a lady.

pirate1802
23rd Sep 2013, 05:31
I think you can sneak up on most enemies in this game, and you can avoid some of them altogather by distracting them. Infact I remember using all out assault only when the game forces me into situations where enemies have already spotted me and is charging towards me, which is not too many, only a few big set pieces in the hubs and a few situations here and there. Now sneaking past enemies without them seeing you is a lot more trickier, if at all possible, and I'd like to see more of such options for sure in future games.

In many cases the levels already allow for such "sneaking past" opportunities but the erratic AI detection system means you'd get caught if you don't kill them. For example, remember an area in Mountain Village where there are three guys standing near a leaking fuel tank? Now you can try and distract two of them but the third always sees you (maybe you can distract all three of them but I haven't tried that much) which is a shame because if the third one doesnt see you, you can actually sneak past the four more guards up ahead.

Also, I'm currently doing a nonlethal/sneak playthrough and I discovered that in many situations (but not all obviously) its actually possible to sneak past guards I previously thought was impossible. For example there are the two guys standing just ahead of the Mountain Temple campsite. You can sneak past them by distracting both with arrows and taking a sneaky path to your left. Same goes for the three dudes who are searching for you in the Mountain Village. They'll take shelter from rain a while later and you can jump into the water stream and wade through them without them seeing. I should experiment more. :p

Rai
23rd Sep 2013, 12:11
^Yeah, in a lot of areas where there are just a few Solarii, you can use stealthy moves on them, and even if you can't sneak passed/stealth kill them, if it is just a handful f men, then that's fine. It is the larger hordes battles I disliked and felt less Tomb Raidery to me. It's those the game could have done without or at least had the men a bit more scattered around. The Shanty Town and Palace areas are obvious bases, so it makes sense for there to be a lot of men there, but a fight with Lara vs 30 or more all at once? No, sorry, it just stopped being fun at all in those situations. I found myself wondering 'when will it end!'. It's just stressful. And I agree with nevillet here. Lara has always fought her way passed baddies, and sometimes I felt it was a bit much (TR2 with grenades etc), but, I dunno, it just feels like another level at times in TR'13, with those large battles.

I may be wrong, but CD obviously felt that they needed to get Lara at a point of not caring anymore. At the beginning she's unhappy about killing. she'd even tell the Solarii 'you don't need to do this!' (or similar), but she learns quickly that talking is pointless and fighting is her only way forward, to survival. I get that. Even to the point where you stealth kill to avoid a fight as this is survival, it's avoiding being seen first. Like the next step. Be the hunter,not the hunted. If spotted, the Solarii stop at nothing. Lara as we knew her would also stop at nothing. TR'13 Lara also needed to get to that point, I think; I loved it when near the end just before the Matthias fight, she's yelling 'no-one gets in my way!' I'm just not sure those massive battles were needed to get her there.

It's interesting that you're finding some pretty genius ways to avoid direct combat, pirate. Good on you for trying these things out :thumb:

Sorry if this is off topic for the options for blood and gore :o.

nevillet
23rd Sep 2013, 21:34
I don't think we're far off topic - this is really about choice.
If it's not a checkbox to turn off gore, then an option to avoid it achieves the same result.

I was so turned off during gameplay that I've never replayed it, making this the only TR game I haven't thrashed to death with endless replays.

But now I'm pretty excited after pirate1802's comments - obviously there are stealth opportunities I've missed. Replay, here I come....

pirate1802
24th Sep 2013, 03:07
Well, that's why I asked what do you mean by finesse, if it means skillful kills, then it is indeed possible at all but the big set pieces. If you mean avoiding enemies altogether then its possible only at a few places, but still possible. ;)

daventry
24th Sep 2013, 08:06
There was a Video Game in the 80's that Blurred Gore and it was called Phantasmagoria, it had a Setting for the Death Scenes that was very violent.

DamianGraham
7th Oct 2013, 01:34
Personally, I like the mature direction the game took. Blood was a part of telling the story. Lara was supposed to be traumatized and kind of "shocked" into becoming a survivor. In a sense, she's living "real life" and there isn't an option to turn that off in real life. I do see where you come from though, as I too am a die-hard fan since the start. The one thing that shocked me- more than blood or gore- was her foul language! lol it shocked me when I heard her say the "S" word... But I realized, she's human. We all do it, and I know if I were in a similar situation, I'd be saying the same thing. I love the direction, and I love the execution of this game. I hope they keep it up for the sequels.

VaBanes
7th Oct 2013, 09:58
The one thing that shocked me- more than blood or gore- was her foul language! lol it shocked me when I heard her say the "S" word... But I realized, she's human. We all do it, and I know if I were in a similar situation, I'd be saying the same thing. I love the direction, and I love the execution of this game. I hope they keep it up for the sequels.
I really liked that part. As you said, it makes her more human.

Lara_Fan_84
22nd Oct 2013, 12:56
I didn't mind it. It seemed more real to me. I mean, if you shoot or stab someone there's going to be blood. I thought it was interesting how it went on the camera too like it was going at your face.

Heidi_W
5th May 2014, 06:45
Although I still want to see blood in the game (it makes Lara's injuries seem so much more visceral), I think they did go a bit overboard with the rivers of blood in the geothermal caverns and some other places. Not that it squicked me or anything, but it was a bit over the top.

It also got me wondering how many corpses would be needed to make those mountains of gore - seems like an awful lot, considering the little population the island could support.

Metalrocks
5th May 2014, 07:58
Although I still want to see blood in the game (it makes Lara's injuries seem so much more visceral), I think they did go a bit overboard with the rivers of blood in the geothermal caverns and some other places. Not that it squicked me or anything, but it was a bit over the top.

It also got me wondering how many corpses would be needed to make those mountains of gore - seems like an awful lot, considering the little population the island could support.

it doesnt have to be humans only. after all, we saw lots of animals as well.

zwanzig_zwoelf
5th May 2014, 10:21
bro i hope theyll remove blood completely from the game it scares me off yanno how about you replace blood with strawberry jam that you can eat and replenish your health :)

Heidi_W
5th May 2014, 10:51

True, but wouldn't they eat the animals rather than having their corpses strewn about the place rotting?

Driber
5th May 2014, 11:55

Corpses are dead. You don't need to support a dead body, heh.

Judging by the massive amounts of human bones and skulls, the pools of blood are likely (mostly) from humans.

Heidi_W
5th May 2014, 12:26
Corpses are dead. You don't need to support a dead body, heh.

I didn't mean it that way - I meant that in order to get mountains of corpses, you'd need a large "donor" population, one that I have trouble imagining existing on such a small island.

I imagined Yamatai as being able to support a few hundred people at most, but given the corpses all over the place you get the impression that thousands died there - which I suppose is not impossible if you stretch it back to WWII, but the blood & gore insinuate that these are mostly recent deaths, i.e., the WWII-era corpses wouldn't still be bleeding by the time Lara lands on the island...

Jurre
5th May 2014, 12:33
^ Indeed that's kinda odd, but it didn't bother me too much; there's more things like that in the game...

Like where did they get all those hundreds of candles that they're burning all day long? They're are not easily made...

Heidi_W
5th May 2014, 12:58
^ Indeed that's kinda odd, but it didn't bother me too much; there's more things like that in the game...

Like where did they get all those hundreds of candles that they're burning all day long? They're are not easily made...

LoL I wondered about that - given the numbers involved there must be a major candle making industry on Yamatai...not to mention a full-time staff to go around replacing all the extinguished candles!

Or, how 70 year-old barrels of gasoline are still completely viable as explosive propellants. Why did they have those things scattered all over the place anyway?

Ok, I know games are entitled to a certain suspension of disbelief, but it's fun to nitpick...

Metalrocks
5th May 2014, 13:37
Judging by the massive amounts of human bones and skulls, the pools of blood are likely (mostly) from humans.

and thats what surely gives the impression. enough ships and planes crashed there.
but it still can contain some blood from animals they have hunted. they can bleed them out in containers/buckets and pour the blood in to that pool. or there is some sort of drainage that leads down there. the bones can be given to the wolves they were keeping.

LoL I wondered about that - given the numbers involved there must be a major candle making industry on Yamatai...not to mention a full-time staff to go around replacing all the extinguished candles!

Or, how 70 year-old barrels of gasoline are still completely viable as explosive propellants. Why did they have those things scattered all over the place anyway?

Ok, I know games are entitled to a certain suspension of disbelief, but it's fun to nitpick...

yeah, this is called game logic. in real life its unlikely that any liquid would remain in them. these barrels would corrode and any liquid in them would run out.
but yes, that with the candles is also very questionable. i highly doubt that every ship and plane that crashed there had a huge amount of candles or wax with them :p .
agreed that nitpicking can be fun :D

bro i hope theyll remove blood completely from the game it scares me off yanno how about you replace blood with strawberry jam that you can eat and replenish your health :)

maybe they will do something like this :p
BAcyInPn3tg

but i agree with him: who in the right mind would switch that off :p

Driber
5th May 2014, 14:38
I didn't mean it that way - I meant that in order to get mountains of corpses, you'd need a large "donor" population, one that I have trouble imagining existing on such a small island.

I imagined Yamatai as being able to support a few hundred people at most, but given the corpses all over the place you get the impression that thousands died there - which I suppose is not impossible if you stretch it back to WWII, but the blood & gore insinuate that these are mostly recent deaths, i.e., the WWII-era corpses wouldn't still be bleeding by the time Lara lands on the island...

Heh, I knew how you meant it. And my answer was that the island doesn't need to "support" the life of all those dead people - they could all simply have been people who crashed on Yamatai and soon after were killed by either the Solarii or the Oni. Like, within the scope of days after their arrival.

Like you said, if you stretch it back to WWII, that'll easily account for all those dead bodies and that pool of blood. As for the insinuation that they must be all recent deaths - I don't think the devs were trying to make that insinuation at all. The natural laws of our world can't be applied to the fictional island of Yamatai, where all kinds of supernatural stuff is happening. Some pool of blood not drying up as quickly as in reality isn't outside of the scope of the in-game logic.

And Crystal never said that the TR universe adheres to real world natural laws, etc :)

Besides, that pool of blood doesn't consist of only blood. You can see that it's mixed with rain water, so the amount of actual blood that came from those corpses is even much lower than the pool makes it seem at first glance, heh.

and thats what surely gives the impression. enough ships and planes crashed there.
but it still can contain some blood from animals they have hunted. they can bleed them out in containers/buckets and pour the blood in to that pool. or there is some sort of drainage that leads down there. the bones can be given to the wolves they were keeping.

lol, I think you're making it far more complicated than it has to be. Looking at those bones and skulls, it's clearly (mostly) human blood.

The pool of blood being human blood isn't a plot hole (i.e. it makes sense in the in-game world) so there's no need to bother thinking up these far-fetched theories when the obvious explanation is staring Lara right into her bloody face.... literally :D

Can there be animal blood mixed into that pool of human blood? Sure. But there doesn't need to be any, in order for it to make sense, heh.

Metalrocks
5th May 2014, 14:52
lol, I think you're making it far more complicated than it has to be. Looking at those bones and skulls, it's clearly (mostly) human blood.

The pool of blood being human blood isn't a plot hole (i.e. it makes sense in the in-game world) so there's no need to bother thinking up these far-fetched theories when the obvious explanation is staring Lara right into her bloody face.... literally :D

Can there be animal blood mixed into that pool of human blood? Sure. But there doesn't need to be any, in order for it to make sense, heh.

in a game world, many things dont make sense. :nut:
well, its still a possibility but yeah, to 99% its human blood because the game clearly shows it.
maybe i should ask this at the next A&Q session. :p
btw, when will we get the answers from the last one? this has been quite some time now. i know meagan left but cant someone else answer these questions?

Driber
5th May 2014, 15:01
maybe i should ask this at the next A&Q session. :p

I wouldn't waste the devs' time with insignificant little details like these, heh. But I'm guessing you were joking anyway :D

btw, when will we get the answers from the last one? this has been quite some time now. i know meagan left but cant someone else answer these questions?

Tell you what, if we haven't posted the answers in 2 weeks from now,
send me a PM to remind me and I'll talk to someone from Crystal :)

Metalrocks
5th May 2014, 15:17
I wouldn't waste the devs' time with insignificant little details like these, heh. But I'm guessing you were joking anyway :D

yes, i was. thats why the :p. but it would be actually funny if they would answer this question :nut:

Tell you what, if we haven't posted the answers in 2 weeks from now,
send me a PM to remind me and I'll talk to someone from Crystal :)

deal :)

BridgetFisher
5th May 2014, 17:19
Hi guys, this is a message to the Devs, if possible.

I've been a solid Tomb Raider fan for 15 years. I love the franchise, and went through my normal routine when I bought TR9 Survival Edition - I went dark. I stayed off the forums so as not to be spoiled, hunkered down in the living room, turned up the speakers, got out the junk food and went into full immersal mode.

Read the whole post, since I am also a big Lara fan. When you talk about blood, did you mean when people are shot or like on some levels there are those rivers of blood? I thought the rivers part was done well, its so GROSS!!!! haha, but it made me feel uncomfortable which it was supposed to. Dont worry if it grossed you out, that means the game did its job making you feel something :D (The whole game isnt like that just that part if I recall correctly which is why it worked for me, if the whole game was like that, it would just get kinda boring.)

three-hundrd-one
31st May 2014, 21:41
I have to say the gore is unnecessary. I completely stopped playing the game because of the level of gore. I just couldn't sit there and have my children watch me as I am splattering blood all over the place. :(

Metalrocks
1st Jun 2014, 03:31
you sure miss out on a great game. then you have to make sure that your kids are not around. after all its an 18 title. and besides, there are games out there that are far more gorier than this title.
left 4 dead 2.

DamianGraham
9th Jun 2014, 22:45
Personally I don't understand where this fear of blood is coming from. The game was meant to show a traumatic experience (if you'll watch the debut trailer for Rise of The Tomb Raider you'll see she's in therapy..) You can't have traumatic experiences if everything were rainbows and sunshine. Blood, violence, and strong language come with the territory of a mature video game. We are adults now, we use those words (and if you say you don't chances are you're fibbing). We have all bled, or seen blood and in the end it's what is necessary to tell the story. It also is built on a sense of realism, you can't get shot in the face and not bleed. It is what it is, and I don't think that it should be such an issue people burden themselves with. If you don't support the mature direction, stick to the older classics (which in themselves contain animated blood).

RybatGrimes
9th Jun 2014, 23:26
Personally I don't understand where this fear of blood is coming from. The game was meant to show a traumatic experience (if you'll watch the debut trailer for Rise of The Tomb Raider you'll see she's in therapy..) You can't have traumatic experiences if everything were rainbows and sunshine. Blood, violence, and strong language come with the territory of a mature video game. We are adults now, we use those words (and if you say you don't chances are you're fibbing). We have all bled, or seen blood and in the end it's what is necessary to tell the story. It also is built on a sense of realism, you can't get shot in the face and not bleed. It is what it is, and I don't think that it should be such an issue people burden themselves with. If you don't support the mature direction, stick to the older classics (which in themselves contain animated blood).

https://31.media.tumblr.com/9729661aa0ca70dd52f8fa6b40de6ba4/tumblr_inline_n6xd354kiS1qgigev.gif

Murphdawg1
10th Jun 2014, 00:21
Blood is not a big deal for me, but yeah, having options is always cool :) And not only "Gore on/off", there should be like "Gore: None/little/realistic/Quentin Tarantino movie" :D

How about something similar to that for explosions? None/little/realistic/Michael Bay movie :lol:

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 00:30
https://31.media.tumblr.com/9729661aa0ca70dd52f8fa6b40de6ba4/tumblr_inline_n6xd354kiS1qgigev.gif

I didn't think today could get any better.... Until I saw that gif :lol:thank you for that.

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 00:44

I think you're missing three-hundrd-one's point. Blood and gore just isn't for everyone. It's not a matter of being an adult or not, nor is it about what is "realistic" or not; it's a matter of personal taste and about what someone is comfortable with.

If you yourself don't flinch during all that torture porn :p Lara goes through in TR9, great for you! I'm happy you have a strong stomach, that means you get to enjoy more games than others, heh. But other people have weaker stomachs. It's just human nature and you can't change that, so it's a little insulting to imply that people should just "grow up". I'm betting that most of us, including you, wouldn't act so tough in reality and throw up if we saw all that gore happening right in front of our eyes ;)

That said - yeah, to let your children watch an 18+ videogame perhaps isn't the smartest thing to do, and then complain about it online, heh. No offense, three-hundrd-one :cool:

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 02:52
I think you're missing three-hundrd-one's point. Blood and gore just isn't for everyone. It's not a matter of being an adult or not, nor is it about what is "realistic" or not; it's a matter of personal taste and about what someone is comfortable with.

If you yourself don't flinch during all that torture porn :p Lara goes through in TR9, great for you! I'm happy you have a strong stomach, that means you get to enjoy more games than others, heh. But other people have weaker stomachs. It's just human nature and you can't change that, so it's a little insulting to imply that people should just "grow up". I'm betting that most of us, including you, wouldn't act so tough in reality and throw up if we saw all that gore happening right in front of our eyes ;)

That said - yeah, to let your children watch an 18+ videogame perhaps isn't the smartest thing to do, and then complain about it online, heh. No offense, three-hundrd-one :cool:

I didn't really flinch because (well A I live in America and you know how we glorify violence here) but B I know well enough that a video game isn't representative of actual blood or gore. Just like a movie. I see road kill plenty enough and that's more disturbing than a videogame lol. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious and that I'm telling people to "grow up" but when you know the game is rated "M" with "Blood & Gore" don't act so shocked when you see blood and gore lol. You're limiting your experience by automatically dismissing a game for taking the mature direction. It's like playing Grand Theft Auto in front of your children and then getting angry that there is mature content. We all know Grand Theft Auto is bad, but neglect to see that Tomb Raider now carries a mature rating now as well?

Metalrocks
10th Jun 2014, 03:53
I didn't really flinch because (well A I live in America and you know how we glorify violence here) but B I know well enough that a video game isn't representative of actual blood or gore. Just like a movie. I see road kill plenty enough and that's more disturbing than a videogame lol. I didn't mean to come off as pretentious and that I'm telling people to "grow up" but when you know the game is rated "M" with "Blood & Gore" don't act so shocked when you see blood and gore lol. You're limiting your experience by automatically dismissing a game for taking the mature direction. It's like playing Grand Theft Auto in front of your children and then getting angry that there is mature content. We all know Grand Theft Auto is bad, but neglect to see that Tomb Raider now carries a mature rating now as well?

i think everyone knows that games arent real but since these days things can look real enough, it can effect a person regardless. i was a bit surprised too when i played L4D2, even when i knew that its brutal as hell. now there the gore is extreme and clearly not meant for children but then again, some people are just ignorant and let their children play what ever they want because they have no idea of rating systems or to get information about the games they buy.
but yes, other people should get more informed or read on the box what the game contains. i know the american ratings have description what the game contains, so as australia and the PEGI clearly writes on it as well.

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2014, 04:23
i think everyone knows that games arent real but since these days things can look real enough, it can effect a person regardless. i was a bit surprised too when i played L4D2, even when i knew that its brutal as hell. now there the gore is extreme and clearly not meant for children but then again, some people are just ignorant and let their children play what ever they want because they have no idea of rating systems or to get information about the games they buy.
but yes, other people should get more informed or read on the box what the game contains. i know the american ratings have description what the game contains, so as australia and the PEGI clearly writes on it as well.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning to sound like I was offending people for being squeamish, I was more trying to say that one shouldn't bash the game for being inappropriate for children when it is intended for Mature audiences in the first place. The narrative needed to mature in order to get its point across in an efficient way, and I do believe that T ratings can hold back the game when it needs to have this kind of material in it. It is Lara's character arc, we wouldn't feel as bad for her if she went to the island and nothing bad or disturbing happened to her. Again, if it were real life I doubt there would be censors for every offensive thing going on :p (although I know it isn't real life and still a video game). I've been a fan of the game since the beginning and I really do think a mature rating has been the smartest decision as far as storytelling goes. Makes the sense of dread more realistic. Along with what you said, yes, parents don't monitor what their children are playing, and find out and take the anger out on the game itself. There are warnings all over gamestop to check the back of the game for content... But you'd still be surprised how many 5 year olds I encounter playing Grand Theft Auto Online... It's crazy lol

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 08:14

This, it's an 18+ game, and blood is pretty much the standard in these video games. I mean, as long as it doesn't pour blood on your screen (literally, those effects can do that, and it's annoying) every time you hit someone, it's ok. But still, options are everything ;) And children shouldn't be around you, unless they know it's not real (some younger kids are more mature than others, and quickly get that it's just a game and it doesn't turn them into psychotic killers xD ) Umm, I'm guessing the previous game didn't have the option to turn off blood?

daventry
10th Jun 2014, 08:22
I saw in a Video of God of War where the Character was Beating Zeus with the Blood covering your Entire Screen, and thats NOT what i want

Guess its Video Games that bring out Homicidal Maniacs and Murderers, they arent born that way.

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 09:32
^ Nope, it's the other way around...

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 14:07
^ Pretty sure daventry was being sarcastic there, heh.

I understand that for you it's no big deal and I get that for you fictional blood and gore is totally different than real blood and gore, but my point was people's tolerance to these kinds of things vary, and not everyone is able to separate the two like you can, and some people do get disturbed even by the fictional kind.

It's like rape - many people would be turned off by having a scene where Lara would get brutally sexually assaulted. Especially women.

Maybe you wouldn't flinch at a fictional rape scene partially because you've been desensitized by violence in your country, but I guarantee you that such a scene would be a no-go for a lot of people.

So that's why I think the rating argument is kind of irrelevant; it's all about what an individual is comfortable with. Sure, buying a game rated M for blood and gore and then being surprised about it or even outraged is silly, but I already granted that point before and still believe it makes sense for people to wish for less blood and gore if they are uncomfortable with it, because I think that for most people it's not a matter of being "surprised", but a pro-active way of voicing preferences and hoping that the devs will listen to it and make adjustments accordingly by either toning it down or giving the player a gore on/off option in the game menu, so that a dad CAN play the game in front of his children :)

And the GTA analogy doesn't work quite as well here IMO, because TR doesn't have a history of this extreme level of blood and gore, so it's also a matter of pre-TR9 TR fans wanting to continue playing their favorite bad-ass action heroine, heh. GTA on the other hand has pretty much always had the same level of violence, etc.

This, it's an 18+ game, and blood is pretty much the standard in these video games.

I love it how people can use the exact same argumentation for contradicting POVs, lol. You say that blood is okay because "it's the standard these days", and others want to get rid of female objectification because "it's the standard these days" :D

I mean, as long as it doesn't pour blood on your screen

I dunno man, that pool of blood scene was pretty damn gruesome :/

As well as Lara getting impaled by a 6 feet spike through her neck :whistle:

d1n0_xD
10th Jun 2014, 14:18
I dunno man, that pool of blood scene was pretty damn gruesome :/

As well as Lara getting impaled by a 6 feet spike :whistle:

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, there's no graphical effects in those scenes, I think. We don't see drops of blood or streams of blood pouring over the screen (a la Bioshock), you what I'm saying? That effect when you're out of the water, and the screen ripples, mimicking you not seeing for a while? So, what I'm saying, I'm glad that there's no splatter all over my screen each time I melee the enemy, 'cause that's both over the top and annoying... But if blood gushes out of someone's throat because I cut their throat, to me it's expected xD

Driber
10th Jun 2014, 14:31
^ I get what you're saying. I was only arguing from the POV of those who are sensitive to videogame blood and gore in general :)