PDA

View Full Version : What's your preferred health option for TR10?

Shaikh
10th Sep 2013, 19:16
For the first time in TR histpry, Medipacks got scrapped in TR9. Which one you prefer most, Medipacks or Regenerating Health? :)

TombRaiding
10th Sep 2013, 19:28
Regenerating health. Health packs are a hassle to keep worrying about.

dark7angel
10th Sep 2013, 19:36
I don't have anything against regenerating health, but I think I would prefer if we had medipacks again!

I totally loved the system used in TLOU, with the crafting of medipacks from supplies you find and how your inventory was in real time, which meant you had to take cover to heal yourself if you were in combat. I definitely wouldn't mind if TR borrowed some of these ideas! :)

xRenzGx
10th Sep 2013, 19:38
Regenerating Health would be a life saver, but medipacks are well more realistic? xD

I_Jedi
10th Sep 2013, 19:55
Hybrid. Make it like the health system in Just Cause 2 or Mass Effect 3.

Weemanply109
10th Sep 2013, 21:08
A mix of both isn't bad. With help regenerating upto a certain % of the total and then the rest of the HP being required by medipacks.

_Ninja_
10th Sep 2013, 21:24
Regenerating Health. I hate healthbars and excessive hud in general.

pidipidi39
10th Sep 2013, 22:07
A mix of both isn't bad. With help regenerating upto a certain % of the total and then the rest of the HP being required by medipacks.
Like it was in TRU? :p

Anyway, I would prefer medipacks, but I have nothing against regenerating health tho :)

Androme321
10th Sep 2013, 22:37
I loved (and hated) the feeling when I was searching for medipacks or trying to stay alive in the olds tomb raider in the situations when I ran out of medipacks so... I voted for the second choice :D
I liked Regenerating Health too but... it didn't give me adrenaline.
It was like "OMG I'm dying" *searching for a cover* "Yeah, now I can fight again" TBH :hmm:

Daftvirgin
10th Sep 2013, 22:42
I loved (and hated) the feeling when I was searching for medipacks or trying to stay alive in the olds tomb raider in the situations when I ran out of medipacks so... I voted for the second choice :D
It was like "OMG I'm dying" *searching for a cover* "Yeah, now I can fight again" TBH :hmm:

Have you played the game on hard difficulty? :rolleyes:

I choose regen health.

Androme321
10th Sep 2013, 23:34
Have you played the game on hard difficulty? :rolleyes:

So, you may be right... I thought about those times (in TR2013) when I tried so much to keep Lara alive jumping all around the combat hubs because I needed her health to regenerate.
Then I thought about the old TRs... in those if you had any kind of health problems all you had to do was opening the inventory and pick
a medipack.
You changed my mind about that XD

larafan25
10th Sep 2013, 23:37
1. Medipacks facilitate exploration

2. If it takes time to apply or configure medicine, it adds tension and a regeneration-type vibe to healing in which you must stay safe.

The entire inventory needs to come back. Yeah, TR is an action adventure game, but it was always the other side.

metzymems
10th Sep 2013, 23:58
Agree completely with larafan25. I'm just playing anniversary on xbox360 and I love hunting for medipacks. One of the most enjoyable parts of TR9 was looking for the treasures and the gps cache

Wh1t3Kn1te
11th Sep 2013, 00:32
i voted medipacks, just doesnt seem like tomb raider without them.

pirate1802
11th Sep 2013, 02:56
Among these two; I'd say regenerating health. Simply because I don't like a big red bar on my screen. I want it as HUDless as possible and read info off the screen and environments rather than stare and numbers and bars. That's hugely immersion breaking for me. But if it was me, I'd have something like this:

Break Lara's full healthbar into 5 smaller pieces. Regeneration will only fill one of such bars and not the full bar. To fully heal yourself, find a quiet spot (campsite?) and cauterize yourself/perform surgery. In other words, Farcry 2/3 system.

Regenerating Health would be a life saver, but medipacks are well more realistic? xD

How realistic is it to have the enemy generously throw medpacks around for you to find and use? xD Both system is equally unrealistic imo.

rudyavelar
11th Sep 2013, 04:42
I agree with LaraFan. But i'd like a mix of both. And the health bar doesn't have to be displayed all the time on the screen. It can appear when when you get hurt, or are in a combat situation. The regen health should only regen a little. And the rest be dependent on medikits. But make the medikits something a lil more believable. Like, wrapping your arm with a piece of gauze. and i'd LOVE tlou's real time inventory system. hope this all makes sense lol

Arakanga
11th Sep 2013, 09:08
Medipacks all the way. Auto regeneration is good, but not for Tomb Raider. I loved how you had to explore every single corner to find items that would help you to survive. And you have to think more tactically since you have to count the medipacks to last.

pirate1802
11th Sep 2013, 10:01
I agree with LaraFan. But i'd like a mix of both. And the health bar doesn't have to be displayed all the time on the screen. It can appear when when you get hurt, or are in a combat situation. The regen health should only regen a little. And the rest be dependent on medikits. But make the medikits something a lil more believable. Like, wrapping your arm with a piece of gauze. and i'd LOVE tlou's real time inventory system. hope this all makes sense lol

How about displaying the "healthbar" as the amount of damage on Lara's body? Slight damage = scratches on Lara, more damage = bloody arms. even more damage = bloody torso and when she is about to die she's practically painted in blood. Then when she performs "surgeries" on herself she'd heal up parts of her body and fill up the invisible healthbar.

d1n0_xD
11th Sep 2013, 10:57
I totally loved the system used in TLOU, with the crafting of medipacks from supplies you find and how your inventory was in real time, which meant you had to take cover to heal yourself if you were in combat. I definitely wouldn't mind if TR borrowed some of these ideas! :)

Yes, definitely, building medipacks, but again, they should've used that in TR9 because of the whole survival thing. When the next game comes out, it's gonna be like Legend or Anniversary where she's already a tomb raider and comes prepared so she has medipacks with her, but again, could make other ones, I don't know.
And regenerating health but only one health-bar, divide Lara's health into multiple bars, so only one health bar regenerates and the other ones need medpacks.

And visuals also, we can see her injured and we can see her fixing herself. Like in Far Cry 3, the protagonist breaks a finger, and he snaps it back into shape, if he's shot in the arm, he burns the wound and/or puts bandages around it and uses syringes and stuff, that's some really cool stuff, I need to write this in the wishlist :D

Sophiafan
11th Sep 2013, 12:52
Medi-packs seem more realistic and reward exploring more so I go for that option

DanielGaga7
11th Sep 2013, 13:40
For the first time in TR histpry, Medipacks got scrapped in TR9. Which one you prefer most, Medipacks or Regenerating Health? :)

Sooo, i would love to see both on the next TR. I support regenerating health, all the way! Because you had to be ware of not having medipacks! But also, on the other side, without medipacks it not that easy to fight, 'cause you are loosing all the time health. Anyway, i would love to see them making a choice, right at the start of the game OR at settings, or even having regenerating health an if u want u can use medipacks! :)

DanielGaga7
11th Sep 2013, 13:42
I've played Far Cry 3 and i gotta say, while you are in a fight, and you have to "fix" yourself, you die till you do it! I wouldn't want Lara end up that way ;p

dark7angel
11th Sep 2013, 13:46
1. Medipacks facilitate exploration

2. If it takes time to apply or configure medicine, it adds tension and a regeneration-type vibe to healing in which you must stay safe.

The entire inventory needs to come back. Yeah, TR is an action adventure game, but it was always the other side.

Pretty much this! :thumb:

Weemanply109
11th Sep 2013, 18:38

It provides challenge, but it has downsides. I've been in like, a few situations in the classic games were I couldn't get a medipack and saved at a point were I had low HP and didn't know that an enemy was near and I kept dying. :o

I had to use a save editor for TR1 (thankfully) but the other I had to revert to an older save.

VaBanes
11th Sep 2013, 19:00
I think they should do it like in Far Cry 3. "Medipacks" and bandaging oneself with a short animation.
Maybe regenerating health but not complete and very slow.

ActionHero
11th Sep 2013, 19:21
I like regenerating health, even on Hard difficulty, but it would be nice to have a small back-up first-aid kit that you only get X uses out of for emergency battle issues.

It always bugged the hell out of me having to go seriously off-course to get one Small Medipack in some random place where it must have spawned itself out of thin air because why the hell would anyone leave one in that particular position.. (This was my primary issue with Chronicles. Yeah, I really think a normal person took 900 running jumps to leave one up here in this windowsill and just accidentally dropped a medipack.)

LisaB1962
11th Sep 2013, 23:32
Medipacks. Anything that reduces the need to explore is a bad idea for Tomb Raider.

I also really hate the screen splash. There's not a camera crew following Lara, and it's a little silly to pretend there is.

rudyavelar
12th Sep 2013, 03:14
How about displaying the "healthbar" as the amount of damage on Lara's body? Slight damage = scratches on Lara, more damage = bloody arms. even more damage = bloody torso and when she is about to die she's practically painted in blood. Then when she performs "surgeries" on herself she'd heal up parts of her body and fill up the invisible healthbar.

Yes. I like this. -stamp of approval-

sanriela
12th Sep 2013, 16:19
We have new Lara... whole new setings and game. I think is for the best to left behind the Medipack.

d1n0_xD
12th Sep 2013, 16:43
^ How come is for the best?

sanriela
13th Sep 2013, 07:34
^ How come is for the best?
How ? Let me put it this way despite my bad language : ) In such intense action and shooting i really doubt how the used of medipack shall look real. And i think the medipack its more like a relic from the past. I really very rare use them in the previous games. And i doubt CD shall return to the old settings and all this exploring of the world and hidden levels and doors. Just my opinion : )

d1n0_xD
13th Sep 2013, 09:08
^ Well, I don't know, for example, if I'm in the middle of a shootout and my screen becomes gray because I'm almost dead and I run back to cover, waiting for health regen to kick in and then I see enemies coming closer, I don't have the time for the health to regenerate, I need some instant health... and sure, there's always the animation, but that's quicker than waiting for regen (if regen is slower, which I like). But, if you are out of medpacks, you're just gonna have to be a little more careful and are gonna have a little rougher time, but the level should be passable. That's all, a mix of medpacks and regen. If I have medpacks, I'm gonna use them, if I don't, I have to try and stay alive as long as I can until my health can regenerate properly. :)

This can add to the atmosphere of levels and diversity in gameplay.

And if we're gonna talk about realism, medpacks make more sense then health regen. ;)

MYSTREY1712
13th Sep 2013, 16:25
Hmmm.... Medipack, loved them, why don't TR10 have medipacks it will be nice doing some old models, now a mystery question i wonder which guns they going to put, Gatling gun? Nahh that will be more heavy for Lara to carry.... errr..... (Fingers tapping on the keyboard)
Wait, what if this takes back when Lara is very young something like 14 or 16, and then we figure out Lara's Mother & Father.... TRU DLC Lara's Shadow, i want something like that, included in this game!
BTW health regenerate.... when playing TR 2013, it was like shes already dead when the screen turns grey! BTW sometimes a bug comes out of the health regenerate, it take so long to heal ON PC
Any release date has been discovered yet?
Hmmm.... need to search on xbox.com

Metalrocks
14th Sep 2013, 12:32
med packs all the way. enough of regen health.

_Ninja_
14th Sep 2013, 12:54

Yes. Also can do different animations like limping and loosing ability to perform some moves and more pained breathing and vocal reactions to being hit.

Metalrocks
14th Sep 2013, 14:20
Yes. Also can do different animations like limping and loosing ability to perform some moves and more pained breathing and vocal reactions to being hit.

sounds like the health system in RE revelations.

VaBanes
14th Sep 2013, 14:59
I would like medipacks as long as they add some sort of healing animation to it (as I said, like Far Cry 3).

Also I would like to see her health regenerating slowly after using a medipack.

J_B_G_
14th Sep 2013, 17:43
I want to see both used. Regenerating if health stays above say 66% and medipaks for returning to above 66% when needed. :scratch:

VaBanes
14th Sep 2013, 19:55
I want to see both used. Regenerating if health stays above say 66% and medipaks for returning to above 66% when needed. :scratch:
I think this would be better:

Regenerating from 0% to 25% and anything more just by using medipacks.

MYSTREY1712
14th Sep 2013, 20:04
I think this would be better:

Like TRU?

IvanaKC
15th Sep 2013, 09:17
Regenerating health wasn't that bad, but since I don't like running away from the fight, I voted for medipacks.

pidipidi39
15th Sep 2013, 12:08
Best solution :thumb:

xRenzGx
17th Sep 2013, 12:01
Among these two; I'd say regenerating health. Simply because I don't like a big red bar on my screen. I want it as HUDless as possible and read info off the screen and environments rather than stare and numbers and bars. That's hugely immersion breaking for me. But if it was me, I'd have something like this:

Break Lara's full healthbar into 5 smaller pieces. Regeneration will only fill one of such bars and not the full bar. To fully heal yourself, find a quiet spot (campsite?) and cauterize yourself/perform surgery. In other words, Farcry 2/3 system.

How realistic is it to have the enemy generously throw medpacks around for you to find and use? xD Both system is equally unrealistic imo.

Well in real life villain do have medpacks xD, if you killed them,well feel free to pick it up xD

pirate1802
17th Sep 2013, 12:59
Well in real life villain do have medpacks xD, if you killed them,well feel free to pick it up xD

Well yes enemy drops I can deal with. But I kind of find it weird when you have a medpack placed strategically at the top to a building for the sake of Le Parkour.

Error96_
18th Sep 2013, 21:39
The medipacks made you more resourceful in that you had to find them and really care how much health you used in a section. In TR9 you could fight many of the battles taking a huge number of hits but just hiding inbetween.

_Ninja_
19th Sep 2013, 00:08
Medpacks increase ttk and make you a bullet sponge.

Yes you can take unlimited amount of shots with regen provided you hide inbetween. But on Hard you die in two rifle bursts. With medpacks however they would give you more time under direct fire no doubt, to compensate for the limited number of health available.

Also in an open world game you can't have a limited number of healthpacks. They would for sure give you a way to obtain as much as you want.

Tyrannosaurus
4th Oct 2013, 02:16
Medipacks, perhaps if accessing the inventory worked in real time, as The Last of Us. I hate regenerating health. That kills the realism for me.

ItFactorScott
6th Oct 2013, 18:35
I've never been a fan of medpacks in any game. I always found them a pretty cheesy way of doing things. "I'm dying...Now I'm totally fine, back to business". Enough medpacks = and invincible player. Health regen takes time and a safe spot, medpacks are immediate and surrounding action can be paused to use them.

However, with that being said I really liked the way 'The last of us' did medpacks, You don't just find them randomly while walking around, You have to make them from items you salvage and since they shared parts with other items you could make, this gave you some tense combat options in game, such as "there's a tonne of enemies around here, they are all coming for me, I have little ammo, do I craft a medpack to heal myself or do I craft a bomb and try to clear the room asap?"

Overall I would prefer health regen as it allows for a totally clean screen, no hud getting in the way of things (one of my favourite things about TR9) but if we must bring back health packs, a 'the last of us' style would certainly be welcomed by me, it removes the cheese factor from them and gives them consequence (I could be killed while crafting it, I could use the resources better elsewhere, bomb etc, what if the bomb misses? then I'm screwed as I have low health AND low ammo, If I heal myself instead of making a bomb I don't have enough ammo to clear the area which means a melee spree which means a higher chance of death)

Just my thoughts. Thanks anyone who took the time to read it all.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
6th Oct 2013, 20:11
I've never been a fan of medpacks in any game. I always found them a pretty cheesy way of doing things. "I'm dying...Now I'm totally fine, back to business". Enough medpacks = and invincible player. Health regen takes time and a safe spot, medpacks are immediate and surrounding action can be paused to use them.

I always prefer the medi packs over regenerating health as if you fight battles carefully you get rewarded with more health later on but if you use them early on the later battles are much harder. If Lara fights a battle and gets hit 1 time or 3 times that has a difference on Lara's health with medipacks but gets ignored in a regen healing system. Regen makes Lara too much of a bullet sponge and as she will be fine 15 seconds later anyway .

ItFactorScott
6th Oct 2013, 21:08
I always prefer the medi packs over regenerating health as if you fight battles carefully you get rewarded with more health later on but if you use them early on the later battles are much harder. If Lara fights a battle and gets hit 1 time or 3 times that has a difference on Lara's health with medipacks but gets ignored in a regen healing system. Regen makes Lara too much of a bullet sponge and as she will be fine 15 seconds later anyway .

Though I agree with you to a degree I still believe that regen require more thought and tactic. If caught out in the open by a group of enemies, regardless of how rapid your health regen may be you will probably die. where as with a medkit system you can continually refill your health over and over provided you have enough medkits to hand.
Take Mass Effect 3 (eewwww) as I prime example, the game requires zero strategy as you can just run head on into a group of enemies and go crazy and whenever you reach health-gate, just open your inventory (which essentially pauses the game) use a health pack and carry on like nothing happened. Though I would say health packs are much more suited to a multiplayer environment where 9 times out of 10 health regen is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

I guess it is what it is, we all have our preferred method and unless as some have suggested a system combining the two is used, it's impossible to keep everyone happy. whatever system they go with, I'll still buy the game and play it to death.

pirate1802
7th Oct 2013, 04:05
Take Mass Effect 3 (eewwww) as I prime example, the game requires zero strategy as you can just run head on into a group of enemies and go crazy and whenever you reach health-gate, just open your inventory (which essentially pauses the game) use a health pack and carry on like nothing happened. Though I would say health packs are much more suited to a multiplayer environment where 9 times out of 10 health regen is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Another example: Assassins Creed games (except 1 and 3) where you can take medicines to refill health while being surrounded by enemies and getting hit all around. Just ignore 'em. :lol:

Regen makes Lara too much of a bullet sponge and as she will be fine 15 seconds later anyway .

A single good burst from enemy rifle does kill you in the game, no matter how much spong you are. I honestly found the regen system making the fights lot more tactical and actually made you avoid enemy fire. They'd throw molotovs at you and force you to run at a safer place to heal. If it was a medpack system I'd probably have a tons of them since I like to explore, then I'd not have to run away from molotovs or rushing enemies. I can just stand there and take healthpack and shoot them in their faces, as ItFactorScott said.

Metalrocks
7th Oct 2013, 06:21
some of you guys cover some good points about regen health and health packs. but i have to disagree with some points as well and some are just my personal opinion.

regen health:
it also depends on the difficulty you play. yes, you do die quickly if an enemy hits you good. but still, even when you are badly wounded, hiding behind cover or running behind cover waiting for your health to regain, is not really much of a worry or tactical thinking behind it.
yes, its obvious you still have to be careful and not just blindly run out and shoot everything down you see but still, there is really no huge threat of dieing when you know your health will regenerate.

medpacks:
some did cover good points that being wounded, you just quickly use a pack, and your alright in a middle of a fight. but there is this; you only have an amount of packs with you.
again, it depends on the game as well that you can upgrade to carry more packs like in AC2. but, in AC2, when your doing a main mission and you run out of packs, you are stuck there and dont have the luxury to run quick to a medic to buy new bottles. so, now you really have to be careful.

in splinter cell 1 you could find them and use them when ever you want, but again, you had only a limited amount to carry.
and other games with this feature like resident evil.

then we have the medstations:
like in half life series, doom, quake, etc. no regen health or being able to carry packs with you. you have to deal with the health you have left with hardly no chance to fill it up during a fight.
now thats a thrill knowing you really have to be extra careful.
like i had in half life 1 fighting these female spec ops in this warehouse. i had 3% health left and i still managed to defeat them. now this requires extreme caution and more tactical thinking then caring medpacks or haveing regen health.

Sefin
7th Oct 2013, 10:25
I would love to see medipacks which require time (up to 10 sec) to heal yourself.
Lara would carry only one medipack which would used up based on how severe damage she took.

she could ressuply it perhaps like this:

- you could try to loot dead human body if they have some first aid kits
- search for some medical supplies at some camps
- use some nature ressources, perhaps some leaf or something to substitute bandages

no automatic healing at all please. This is something that is killing challange from any modern game. I like it when you are at the death door and you pray for new medipack to appear soon before you face another enemy.

pity they didnĀ“t make system like I mentioned in latest TR. It would add up on the feeling of the game. + there should have been limited number of ammunition.

but I understand that it is very hard to produce the game these days. Modern gamers are so lazy that if they get killed 2 times in row they simply quit the game as it is too hard :(

kiadaw
22nd Oct 2013, 03:36
I prefer regenerative heath, as it save me one more item to worry about.

Lara_Fan_84
22nd Oct 2013, 12:52
I grew up with the hunt for medipacks but I liked regenerating health. It was such a pain to find medipacks, especially when you really needed one and in later levels of the original TR they were less and less frequent.

kiadaw
25th Oct 2013, 15:34
Its actually very irritating when you are low in medipacks & get into a big fight.

Same way, a supposely hard battle become a breeze when you have a full medpacks. Regenerative heath, provide better balance for combat, in my opinion.

kiadaw
25th Oct 2013, 15:35
I grew up with the hunt for medipacks but I liked regenerating health.

I grew up chasing after girls, but whatever float your boat.:p

Murphdawg1
25th Oct 2013, 18:48
Never have been a fan of regenerating health as I don't like the idea that if I get into a fight and take damage I can simply go run behind something for a short period of time and i'm instantly healed.

BridgetFisher
5th Nov 2013, 07:58
I like the diea of medipacks and using food for energy as well, id like to see lara eat food instead of going around just kicking coolers of food around and getting energy haha. TR games always have the best animations since CD is very good at making us feel like were in the game with them so I hope they consider that option.

MissBrandy
5th Nov 2013, 13:30
Both is the best maybe ...like in TRU
But I also used to like this new option of regenerating life.
I'll accept the option that CD will use in the sequel ..both is ok for me

larafan25
2nd Dec 2013, 04:02
Ya gorl, I bring you my elaborated ansa:

The reason Tomb Raider 10 should have health items instead of regenerating health:

Platforming.

a) CD added aerial steering back to Lara's list of abilities in Tomb Raider 3013, the reason for this: to remove the yes/ no, binary, black and white aspect of the LAU platforming.

b) However, their fix is rendered ineffective because of the regenerating health system. Now, if I fall, I either die or my health regenerations instantly, which is still black and white. Thus, when you're platforming your goal is to avoid death, and that is all. You don't need to be cautious of height beyond the furthest of falls.

c) If the game had health items and a static health bar, you would lose health if you fell, this would be permanent damage until you could find a health item to heal the injury. Therefore, you'd be inspired to travel cautiously and skillfully with the fear of death truly instilled in you (or a lil bit more at least).

d) This means, if you fall and injure yourself amongst patrolling scavengers, you're suddenly in a much more frantic situation. To stay in cover, to be stealthy and hunt out a medical kit, or take out the enemies with the most perfect stealth strategy you can muster.

e) AAAAAss well, instead of inspiring exploration with tons of lil trinkets here and there, you can leave health items in cleaver and hidden places, as well as ammo, so that there is better incentive to explore. Because the items you find feed right back into the game and your exploration is rewarded with a higher success rate.

So please, bandages, herbs and pills next time CD. <3

Psychomorph
2nd Dec 2013, 07:55
MEDPACK...

...but, in a more authentic way. So you always start a mission with a couple of medpacks. When being injured (heavily) you don't see a health bar, but your abilities decline just slightly and Lara is struggling a bit (breathing, physical drag).

Since you got a limited amount of medpacks you'd use them when the "struggle" is too much and affects your tomb raiding (so you need to manage them carefully).

However, when a (not so little) amount of time passes by, Lara recovers from the shock a bit and gets some of her health and abilities back. Sounds like a regeneration system, but it is not a way to wait a couple of seconds for full recovery, but more a way to improve/restore the gameplay experience for the remaining mission when you happen to run out of medpacks.

There could however be stuff like old wrecked planes and ships, or camps of previous explorers (who never left alive) that you can search and find medpacks in the medlocker, beside other goodies, so there would be always room for exploring wreckages.

Also what pirate1802 said below. Would be cool to see dust and dirt to set on Lara as she goes, which would be washed away by water and rain, but injury would cause visible scratches and blood. Medpacks would remove the blood, scratches may stay for an extended period of time.

This may not work well with the oldschool (and newschool) combat system, so proper stealth element, alternative routes to avoid combat and an effective combat/shooting system would need to be in place.

Otherwise... I vote for medpack only.

Charlie.T.Raider
18th Jan 2014, 14:02
I would like to see medi-packs back to reward you for looking around rather than running through sections

Chocolate_shake
18th Jan 2014, 15:15
I'm with Larafan25 on this one .

The whole scavenging for scarce resources would fit the survival theme of the rebooted TR series really well .

Consequently the enemies should reduce and become smarter

Jurre
18th Jan 2014, 15:34
Scavenging for resources is already covered by gathering salvage.

Regenerating health works the best for the fast-faced nature of the combat and Lara's way of going from cover to cover to avoid the molotovs and dynamite. It worked perfectly in TR9 and there's no need to change that just because all previous TR's did it. You know how people always want to bring up this 'if it ain't broken' phrase in discussion? Well there, I'll bring it up for once...

I think they should do it like in Far Cry 3. "Medipacks" and bandaging oneself with a short animation.
Oh please my dear fellow, do you even realise what you're saying? Healing in Far Cry 3 is way too slow, wonky, elaborate and utterly frustrating in the heat of the battle. It is my pet example of how not to deal with healing whereas TR is the example of how simple, elegant and effective it can be (and the same thing for weapon selection by the way)

Metalrocks
18th Jan 2014, 16:06
Scavenging for resources is already covered by gathering salvage.

Regenerating health works the best for the fast-faced nature of the combat and Lara's way of going from cover to cover to avoid the molotovs and dynamite. It worked perfectly in TR9 and there's no need to change that just because all previous TR's did it. You know how people always want to bring up this 'if it ain't broken' phrase in discussion? Well there, I'll bring it up for once...

Oh please my dear fellow, do you even realise what you're saying? Healing in Far Cry 3 is way too slow, wonky, elaborate and utterly frustrating in the heat of the battle. It is my pet example of how not to deal with healing whereas TR is the example of how simple, elegant and effective it can be (and the same thing for weapon selection by the way)

the same it is in the half life series, the original doom games, serious sam and many more. i had no issues in farcry3 with the healing system. it was a nice touch, even when being under fire. it gives you a reason to be more careful and use your medkits wisely.
regen healing is exactly the opposite.

VaBanes
18th Jan 2014, 16:11

I do realise what I'm saying. Because I like that solution.

Jurre
18th Jan 2014, 16:21
Whatever floats your boat. But don't let the developers bring that into Tomb Raider under the current combat system. That was based on speed and agility, this is not the stick behind cover and eat the dust kind of combat: it's based on moving rapidly to avoid the bombs and if possible the arrows.

That means you keep it nice and simple; don't make me push a button to go into cover - that goes automaticly - and don't make me push a button to gain health, or even more elaborate and timewasting kinds of things - that goes automaticly as well, so that I can keep my mind focussed on moving and shooting. And you do need that when you're playing on hard.

This was handled with such professionalism and insight of what they were doing in TR9 and I would absolutely hate it so see them screw that up!

Chocolate_shake
18th Jan 2014, 16:57
How will salvage work in TR 10 ?

Most probably she will be going to the mission well equipped and prepared . So what will she upgrade ?

Caesum
18th Jan 2014, 17:27
I'm neutral. Healthpacks are fine to keep the gameplay harder, but most of the time they were practically senseless. On the other hand health regenerating isn't much better.

In the end it all depends on the gameplay. Personally I'd have liked it if health bar was replaced by something more complex. Maybe by an extreme version of TRAOD cut idea of injuries. So i Lara was hit in the hand, she'd have it broken etc. Then she'd have to use bandages to fix it.

Another possibility would be to make it more like Prince of Persia 2008, where it was impossible to die, you could only lose a fight. Though it'd have to be changed somehow.

Jurre
18th Jan 2014, 17:57
How will salvage work in TR 10 ?

Most probably she will be going to the mission well equipped and prepared . So what will she upgrade ?

Do you mean that as an honest question or are you saying that there have to be collectable health packs because otherwise there would be nothing to collect?

In case of the former: I am curious about that too. In case of the latter I would say they surely will find a way to make crates and boxes feel natural in the game world. And if that doesn't work there can still be lots of orange bushes and things like that. And I expect Lara to start the game with basic gear (twin guns, bow and axe) who can be upgraded as the game progresses.

Another possibility would be to make it more like Prince of Persia 2008, where it was impossible to die, you could only lose a fight. Though it'd have to be changed somehow.
Do you not think that that would kill the tension - spectacularly?? If there's no chance of dying then it's hard to feel like anything is at stake in a combat situation. That is why I liked the brutal deaths in TR9, even though my tender heart hates to see Lara die that way: it works as an incentive to do my utter best to keep her alive... I believe the developers of PoP '08 retroactively regretted that decision to make the Prince unable to die...

Caesum
18th Jan 2014, 19:04
^ There's no real tension in TR9 either. Practically before every battle there's always a checkpoint. Even if you die the only side-effect of this is bringing you back to the beginning of a fight. The dying scenes are only for aesthetics, because you never really lose anything.

XylophoneDealers
18th Jan 2014, 19:14
I think Lara should be bulletproof. Lel :D

Jurre
18th Jan 2014, 20:22
^ There's no real tension in TR9 either. Practically before every battle there's always a checkpoint. Even if you die the only side-effect of this is bringing you back to the beginning of a fight. The dying scenes are only for aesthetics, because you never really lose anything.

Well... If you care nothing about emotional investment and only about game mechanics I'd say you're better off playing Pong of Tetris or any other game that doesn't in any way resemble reality. It's far cheaper, those games...

Caesum
18th Jan 2014, 22:45
Well... If you care nothing about emotional investment and only about game mechanics I'd say you're better off playing Pong of Tetris or any other game that doesn't in any way resemble reality. It's far cheaper, those games...
Indeed there's much emotional investment and reality in a game where an "inexperienced" girl can easily kill hordes of natural and supernatural enemies by herself. :thumb:

And nope, I have never cared for Lara in TR9. Crystal Dynamics' vision of relatable Lara was quickly shattered once I realised she could kill an entire army of demons without any trouble.

larafan25
18th Jan 2014, 23:10
And she can't fall off of edges. >_>

XylophoneDealers
18th Jan 2014, 23:54

She just needs
A little
PUSH (the left analogue stick in the direction you want to go #AODmemories)

Metalrocks
19th Jan 2014, 12:54
Whatever floats your boat. But don't let the developers bring that into Tomb Raider under the current combat system. That was based on speed and agility, this is not the stick behind cover and eat the dust kind of combat: it's based on moving rapidly to avoid the bombs and if possible the arrows.

That means you keep it nice and simple; don't make me push a button to go into cover - that goes automaticly - and don't make me push a button to gain health, or even more elaborate and timewasting kinds of things - that goes automaticly as well, so that I can keep my mind focussed on moving and shooting. And you do need that when you're playing on hard.

This was handled with such professionalism and insight of what they were doing in TR9 and I would absolutely hate it so see them screw that up!

its not really hard to press quickly a button to heal. i set it always on the Q button and it works like a charm. just a tiny movement with the ring finger and done.
i miss that in AC3 and 4. is so simple to quickly press it to get your health back, even during battle. and now i have to run away to regain my health. i find this more frustrating and time wasting then quickly pressing a button.

but thats just me.

Jurre
19th Jan 2014, 13:41
And nope, I have never cared for Lara in TR9. Crystal Dynamics' vision of relatable Lara was quickly shattered once I realised she could kill an entire army of demons without any trouble.
Have fun with Tetris then...

its not really hard to press quickly a button to heal. i set it always on the Q button and it works like a charm. just a tiny movement with the ring finger and done.
i miss that in AC3 and 4. is so simple to quickly press it to get your health back, even during battle. and now i have to run away to regain my health. i find this more frustrating and time wasting then quickly pressing a button.

but thats just me.
It's different of course on pc, but on a console controller the amount of buttons is not as abundant. Still, that is no excuse why in Far Cry 3 everything needs to take so long: switching weapons, healing, extinguish fire on your arms, it all takes between 2 or 3 seconds during which nothing else can be done. And that is like an eternity when you're under attack not only from guys with rifles, but also melee attackers and molotov throwing grenadiers. That also happens in Tomb Raider, but there switching goes almost instantly and healing is something that is automatically taken care of as long as you keep avoiding damage. This made Far Cry 3 excruciatingly frustrating to me in some situations, whereas Tomb Raider is like a shining example of how to do it right, so forgive me if my head mildly explodes when someone proposes to replace TR's system with FC3's.

And that is also why I am firmly against all those proposals that do nothing but complicate the game. Like having to eat or else you die in 15 minutes, or collecting flowers to get healed. No! Those are very basic gameplay elements, you keep them nice and simple.

As for Assassins Creed: there was no challenge either in the Ezio trilogy were you could stack up 5 to 20 or something healthkits who restored almost all damage. The most challenging AC combat in my experience was in the original one, which did have regeneration...

In the end, the level of difficulty is not determined by the healing system, but by the power of the enemies and the endurance of the hero, and indeed Assassins Creed is way too easy in that regard. I think the developers of AC never understood their own series: in the first trailer of the original AC Altair made his way through the crowd, made his hit and then escaped from the scene, using his freerunning skills and stealth abilities. That's it: he was meant to be good at stealth and escaping. He was never meant to be an immortal killing machine. But somehow that idea got lost and now we've got this:

Bw3U_getqDg

Caesum
19th Jan 2014, 14:06
Have fun with Tetris then...
Yes indeed I'm having a fabulous time with Tomb Raider 2 thank you. :thumb:

ahahah true. Why she can't just fall off of that damn ledge? It's not that hard after all. Seriously sometimes it's harder to kill Lara in that game than to keep her alive.

Metalrocks
19th Jan 2014, 14:16
well, FC3 you should be stealthy. and even if you are under fire, you still can hide behind cover and press the heal button. enemies dont come that quickly towards you unless you were really close to them. but then you know that you have to be more careful and keep your distance.

and since we talk about FC3 health system.
its not like CD said they will use this mechanic in the next title. all we do now is just pointing out what we prefer. and so far the majority wants health packs. some just express what options could be implemented in to the next title.
yes, i did state it that i hate regen health and why. and i stick to it. so far every title of TR had this mechanic by using med packs and it worked well for everyone else (pc and console), i dont see the point either why to change to regen health all of a sudden. even when its action heavier.

Jurre
19th Jan 2014, 14:36
its not like CD said they will use this mechanic in the next title. all we do now is just pointing out what we prefer. and so far the majority wants health packs. some just express what options could be implemented in to the next title.

Yes, I know that. Well, I guess it's 'agree to disagree' time then because I know I will not change my mind on this so it would be pointless to continue the conversation...

One little remark though:

yes, i did state it that i hate regen health and why. and i stick to it. so far every title of TR had this mechanic by using med packs and it worked well for everyone else (pc and console)

You know that is not a valid point when the combat in TR9 is fundamentally different from all the TR's before.

XylophoneDealers
19th Jan 2014, 15:05

Absolutely totally agree with what you said. Despite the lack of medipacks, it still was balanced by the excellent combat system. I always used to get worried when my health was suddenly very low and I had to run away and make sure that I did not get hit.

Metalrocks
19th Jan 2014, 16:13
Yes, I know that. Well, I guess it's 'agree to disagree' time then because I know I will not change my mind on this so it would be pointless to continue the conversation...

One little remark though:

You know that is not a valid point when the combat in TR9 is fundamentally different from all the TR's before.

works for me :thumb:

and about my second remark.
yes, you are right. i was too focused on the control side that i ignored the rest. my bad.

well, now we got that out of the way :)

XylophoneDealers
19th Jan 2014, 18:05
Now that we got that out of the way, I'm thinking of a new type of health for Lara:

Wait for it
Guys srsly
Wait

You will be AMEYZED
Wait
Guise

OIL HER HEALTH WILL BE OIL AND SHE TRAVELS THE WORLD IN SEARCH FOR OIL

Jurre
19th Jan 2014, 18:59
I guess her next adventure will be in Iraq (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138372)then :D

CakeLuv
19th Jan 2014, 20:39
I guess her next adventure will be in Iraq (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=138372)then :D

Wrong Thread (?

Jurre
19th Jan 2014, 20:42
She'll travel the world for oil, says XylophoneDealers.

So then I say: she goes to Iraq ... see the connection? :D

CakeLuv
20th Jan 2014, 02:35
She'll travel the world for oil, says XylophoneDealers.

So then I say: she goes to Iraq ... see the connection? :D

http://fullym.com/files/2013/04/Beyonce-FullyM-Ezra-Shaw-Getty-Images.jpg

Ma mistake.

jessy_pinkman
9th Feb 2014, 19:28
I don't know if I already mentioned that in this thread but I would like some kind of combination between medipacks and regenerating health.
Maybe like in Max Payne 3 (only played that one) where your health regenerates until like 25% (?) and for everything else (25%-100%) you need painkillers (like medipacks). This way you always have the chance to still complete your mission even if your out of supplies.

Ellie92
9th Feb 2014, 19:42
Maybe like in Max Payne 3 (only played that one) where your health regenerates until like 25% (?) and for everything else (25%-100%) you need painkillers (like medipacks). This way you always have the chance to still complete your mission even if your out of supplies.

Yes, I liked that in Max Payne 3. I would also include something like the health system in Far Cry 3 where you can heal/bandage yourself if you don't have anything left yet it takes longer and isn't as efficient as "medipacks".

I think there should be a "combination of both" option in that poll. :)

LaFabiana
10th Feb 2014, 20:12
Yes, healing in Far Cry 3 was great. I liked how Jason was resetting his dislocated finger joint or wrist after falling down a rock. ^^

Lukass
13th Feb 2014, 14:34
Medipacks. No question, really.

J.Maverick
17th Feb 2014, 21:17
If I had to pick one, I'd say regen-health; keeps the focus on the core gameplay. Medipacks tend to shift the focus from continuing the game, to doing a chore so you can get back to continuing the game.

But I guess I could go with a hybrid too. Like an Assassin's Creed II system. Large health bar, broken into blocks. Each block can regen, as long as it hasn't been emptied--you need some sort of medipack to restore a block that's been emptied.

Or if the campfires are returning, they could be like the bonfires from Dark Souls, coupled with Snake's Survival Viewer from MGS3. Go to campsite to heal wounds.

I think I just contradicted myself though, with the not liking the break of focus. ^^ that last bit could be too in-depth.