PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider 10 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Shaikh
10th Sep 2013, 19:07
A general discussion thread for Tomb Raider 10 Multiplayer, including new ideas, what should be there and not, speculations and so on.

Also to see how people like to have it or not, added a poll with it. :)

--------

Edit by Driber:

http://www.crystald.com/workwithus/apply-here

Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Multiplayer Designer to work with our development team to develop a unique online experience. The Multiplayer Game Designer will develop and implement multiplayer systems from concept to completion. A successful Multiplayer Designer will be a hands on individual with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging multiplayer modes and campaigns.

-Concept, design and implement multiplayer game systems from the ground up
-Lead and manage other developers on the team. Serve as a champion for online game components at the studio.
-Work with other Designers to ensure successful integration of game play systems into the game
-Broad based understanding about what makes multiplayer levels and systems fun
-Ability to design and develop multiplayer systems design from concept to finished product
-Strong math and balancing skills
-Ability to communicate and present complex interactive/social game systems
-Experience working on multiplayer systems for highly rated (AAA) action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles

dark7angel
10th Sep 2013, 19:49
I don't usually play MP, but since it is completely separated from the SP campaign, I have nothing against it.

BUT I think CD should add a Co-op mode to the MP. It could be some co-op missions inspired by the SP campaign and an Arena Mode or whatever it's called with Survival and Treasure Hunt modes. But most importantly it should have the option to play co-op offline with split-screen.

Rai
10th Sep 2013, 20:07
I voted the same way I did on TRF. No, only single player. I didn't touch MP in TR'13 and I'd rather Tomb Raider (10) didn't touch MP with a barge poll. Yeah, yeah, I know it's optional (or had better be) and if I don't like it I don;t have to play it, but, to me, TR is a single player game. It's about isolation as much as exploring etc.

As a concession, a small bit of (optional and separate) co-op would be acceptable. I've still only voted for SP.

Any MP/co-op should be relevant to Tomb Raider and not shoot anything that moves, combat orientated.

Deventh
10th Sep 2013, 21:03
I actually really enjoyed the MP spent about 20+ hours on it and it was fun. Made some friends with it as well.

Danielsun_
10th Sep 2013, 21:52
I think multiplayer / co-op is a great way to bring the community together, I would love both, multiplayer for the competitive side and co-op for, well, the cooperative side, as well as the fun of exploring a tomb with a friend

pidipidi39
10th Sep 2013, 22:14
None of 'em.
But if they really have to add something, then they should go with Co-Op (online AND local).

Even If I kind of enjoyed the MP in TR9, I don't want it to come back. It's not TRish.

metzymems
10th Sep 2013, 23:23
I definitely would not want co-op as part of the campaign. I have always loved tomb raider as a single solitary player game. I do play a lot of the TR9 MP but I am really in two minds about it. When I come across cheats I feel as though the tomb raider i have always loved so much has been violated lol.

larafan25
10th Sep 2013, 23:38
Keep multiplayer if there is nothing else that can be an extra which will add more of the Tomb Raider feeling. But, of course, make multiplayer feel more Tomb Raider-related and some improvements can be had.

LIttleMozart
11th Sep 2013, 00:26
Multiplayer on a Tomb Raider is completly unnecessary. LCGoL was awesome! But the multiplayer was there for purpose. I think in the "main series" there shouldn't be a multiplayer. :rolleyes:

Wh1t3Kn1te
11th Sep 2013, 00:34
never touched multiplayer. this kind of game should be single player only, although if they added co-op i would not complain about it.

a_big_house
11th Sep 2013, 10:28
CO-OP! :D

d1n0_xD
11th Sep 2013, 10:52
Maybe, just maybe, they should add co-op, but not a campaign, a different little thing, like in Far Cry 3.

pirate1802
11th Sep 2013, 11:03
make a separate co-op campaign. This TR could have had a separate co-op campaign where we play as Mathais and one of his henchmen when he first arrives, or a couple of those WW2 Japanese soldiers or even the Hoshi way back.

Sophiafan
11th Sep 2013, 13:03
I liked the multiplayer but it is totally glitchy and so really annoying to play. Having to have seperate groups for those with and without DLC didn't work at all. I hope if they do bring it back then there will be no DLC or if one person in a group has DLC it will let everyone play the level if they have DLC or not.

seashaw
11th Sep 2013, 19:12
Tomb Raider should only be a single player game! I was completely engrossed by single player in TR9, but multi-player was just lacking everything.

imported_JP_S
12th Sep 2013, 10:51
I like the way they've implemented special co-op missions in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Though the problem, what I heard, is that you will need someone you can trust to play in co-op. So I would really like seperat co-op missions, but I would never have the chance to play those missions, as the co-op experience (RDR/LEGO) I have has not been positive, and neither the stories I heard (I could be wrong).
I don't care much for multi-player, especially the achievements/trophies I never'll be able to get.

I would opt for only single player.

pirate1802
12th Sep 2013, 11:20
I like the way they've implemented special co-op missions in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Though the problem, what I heard, is that you will need someone you can trust to play in co-op. So I would really like seperat co-op missions, but I would never have the chance to play those missions, as the co-op experience (RDR/LEGO) I have has not been positive, and neither the stories I heard (I could be wrong).
I don't care much for multi-player, especially the achievements/trophies I never'll be able to get.

I would opt for only single player.

Play Borderlands or Saints Row. those are the games that truly shine in Co-op mode! :cool:

sanriela
12th Sep 2013, 16:17
I dont mind to see multi as long is not effect the single. But even so, i doubt many people shall play it. I put myself among them.

imported_JP_S
12th Sep 2013, 17:26
Play Borderlands or Saints Row. those are the games that truly shine in Co-op mode! :cool:

Not really my type of games :D

pirate1802
12th Sep 2013, 18:18
Not really my type of games :D

I get that, I was just saying that you should play those games if you want to truly judge the best Co-op experiences.

Thing is, these days devs run behind multiplayers like anything. And to a certain extent they are right; good mp certainly increases the life of a game (emphasis on good). But i think they'd be better served by running behind co-ops if they do want online modes at all costs. Almost any game, with a little thoughtfulness and planning becomes even more awesome in co-op. (in my experience ;) )

IvanaKC
13th Sep 2013, 09:29
Although MP is separated from SP, I still voted no. The reason is that instead of putting effort into a bad multiplayer, they could take those resources and make an excellent singleplayer.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
17th Sep 2013, 20:46
The multiplayer was okay. The deathmatches did what other games but just not quite as good as some others. Where I think it was really fun was the team based games where there was more tactics and teamwork rather than just a shoot em up. The main problem of the TR MP was when looking for matches all I kept getting was casual team deathmatch with teams that put all the new players on one side and all the experienced players on the other team.

I don't know if TR's MP can be brought up to the level where it really feels as good as the SP content. Split screen Co-op would be okay as long as the second character is good enough that one of the two players is prepared not be Lara and for there to be bits of puzzles where you have to both trigger elements rather than feeling like an SP with twice the firepower in gun fights.

imported_JP_S
18th Sep 2013, 08:02
I get that, I was just saying that you should play those games if you want to truly judge the best Co-op experiences.

Thing is, these days devs run behind multiplayers like anything. And to a certain extent they are right; good mp certainly increases the life of a game (emphasis on good). But i think they'd be better served by running behind co-ops if they do want online modes at all costs. Almost any game, with a little thoughtfulness and planning becomes even more awesome in co-op. (in my experience ;) )

I agree with you there :D

pirate1802
18th Sep 2013, 09:05
I agree with you there :D

Playing with a trusted friend in a good co-op game, chatting on the mic etc.. can feel like heaven. :D

Metalrocks
18th Sep 2013, 10:51
Although MP is separated from SP, I still voted no. The reason is that instead of putting effort into a bad multiplayer, they could take those resources and make an excellent singleplayer.

same here.
big no from me as well.

MissBrandy
27th Sep 2013, 10:50
Personally I didn't use the MP part ...I just take a look 10 mins and I won't use it again..
CD should invest the time they spend to develop MP to improve and grow up the Single Player part..

MP is useless for most of TR players ....

Woogiemush
25th Jan 2014, 06:19
I really liked multiplayer on TR9. I feel, though, it was very sloppy and unfinished. If it were Uncharted 2's multiplayer but with Tomb Raider characters and settings, it would be amazing.

I think Crystal Dynamics should reach out to Naughty Dog for some help. If they teamed up, I think multiplayer could be a really great addition to TR10.

But, that won't ever happen. Well, maybe...

Anyway, I think they should have Co-op for multiplayer, or an in-story-game mode so two people can play together, play story mode, or just run around and have fun. One could play as Sam, or Alex, or whoever. I always wished this was in TR9.

- Woogiemush

Ballowers100
26th Jan 2014, 23:35
Great Tomb Raider 10 will have multiplayer :/.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758450
http://www.crystald.com/workwithus/apply-here

Originally Posted by Crystal Dynamics

Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Multiplayer Designer to work with our development team to develop a unique online experience. The Multiplayer Game Designer will develop and implement multiplayer systems from concept to completion. A successful Multiplayer Designer will be a hands on individual with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging multiplayer modes and campaigns.

-Concept, design and implement multiplayer game systems from the ground up
-Lead and manage other developers on the team. Serve as a champion for online game components at the studio.
-Work with other Designers to ensure successful integration of game play systems into the game
-Broad based understanding about what makes multiplayer levels and systems fun
-Ability to design and develop multiplayer systems design from concept to finished product
-Strong math and balancing skills
-Ability to communicate and present complex interactive/social game systems
-Experience working on multiplayer systems for highly rated (AAA) action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles

Since Tomb Raider 10 will have multiplayer. I have 1 request. Please Crystal Dynamics, Megan Marie, and Scot Amos add Rentable Dedicated Servers by the PC gamer community with a Server Browser List and design maps big to hold 64 players for the PC version of Tomb Raider 10. Thank you. The P2P console lobby matchmaking system makes multiplayer very poor to play on PC.

Metalrocks
27th Jan 2014, 07:47
wow, 64 players. we are talking about tomb raider not battlefield :p

Ballowers100
27th Jan 2014, 15:56
wow, 64 players. we are talking about tomb raider not battlefield :p You know not just Battlefield has 64 players in multiplayer on PC right? The PC versions of these video games have 64 players. Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Garry's Mod (Garry's Mod lets you set up to 128 players to join your server if you want that many players to join your server).

TranceTrouble
27th Jan 2014, 18:41
You know not just Battlefield has 64 players in multiplayer on PC right? The PC versions of these video games have 64 players. Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Garry's Mod (Garry's Mod lets you set up to 128 players to join your server if you want that many players to join your server).

all the examples you are giving are shooters, i hope and believe sincerely that TR will stay close to being an adventure game and will keep their main focus on the singleplayer.

Ballowers100
27th Jan 2014, 18:59
all the examples you are giving are shooters, i hope and believe sincerely that TR will stay close to being an adventure game and will keep their main focus on the singleplayer. I also hope Tomb Raider is 10 is focused on being an adventure video game in fact I hope Tomb Raider 10 ends up being 100% singleplayer only. I hope Crystal Dynamics scraps multiplayer like how Eidos Montreal removed Quick Time Events (QTE's) from Thief. That's why I also voted no as well in the poll.

Also Garry's Mod is not a First Person Shooter (FPS) video game. Well it is some what but you can have all kinds of mods for Garry's Mod that adds all kinds of game modes and you can even have RPG mods as well.

All in all in the end I am trying to make a point that P2P is horrible on PC and Rentable Dedicated Servers with a Browser List is the best option for multiplayer on PC. The PC is not a console.

Noelemahc
28th Jan 2014, 20:51
Assassin's Creed's multiplayer was similarly received at the outset. Come AC3, and it's the better part of the game, including storytelling-wise. Granted, AC has a few natural vehicles for driving the multiplayer in-universe, but still.
With more evolution, proper focus-testing and liberal application of common sense, I can easily see this working, both in a co-op way (I'd really love more games to do what Dead Space 3 did) and in a competitive way (here, TR9's only real weakness was in the me-too-ness of certain elements like the unlocks which coupled with a certain lack of variety made it unfun for people pre-conceited against it).

EliParker
28th Feb 2014, 21:36
If MP needs to be in Tomb Raider 10, at least add an Arcade Mode. I'm asking for this as I'm one of those people that believe there should be no MP or Co-Op in a Tomb Raider game.

So my ideas for a Single Player Arcade mode:

Horde Mode - Single Player
Replay Sequences - Similar to a level select
Croft Manor - This could tie-in with the idea below
The Adventures of Richard Croft - This could be a co-op/single player mode where you can play as Roth, Grimm, and Richard years before the first Tomb Raider. Also this could be added via DLCs
More interaction with Artifacts - this could be a mini-game within the game

CakeLuv
28th Feb 2014, 21:48
I don't want Multiplayer, but I don't want Co-Op that is in the same storyline as in the main game, so maybe random adventures of Lara and friends in Co-Op?

GLA
2nd Mar 2014, 19:28
I like having a go at a casual team deathmatch every now and again :p

I haven't really played any MP games before (once tried CoD and had torrents of abuse thrown at me :lol: ), and I've enjoyed being able to get a bit more out of TR with the MP. So, I don't mind the prospect of it coming back in some shape or form in TR10.

Yansazonov
2nd Mar 2014, 19:58
I dont like half-breed MP of TR.
And in nearest future - theres no way Lara would be accompanied by a partner in SP(co-op),cause of her "character" or whatever.
So my Vote is for SP-campaign and to more in-game modes,like the ones for fights or shooting.

Britney
8th Mar 2014, 19:15
i agree with that. they should stay true to the classic series with no multiplayer.

metzymems
20th Apr 2014, 16:20
At first I was dead against MP but NOW.... how things have changed. I even started the Anyone Else Suck At Multiplayer thread but being a stubborn little thing has paid off. It is just over a year since Tomb Raider and sice I began playing multiplayer, at first I sucked beyond belief but now I'm doing okay. I play on the xbox one now. So I am doing a 360 - yes yes yes to more multiplayer in the future and I think a swarm mode would be really great.