PDA

View Full Version : Stay with UNATCO

Lucifer
2nd Sep 2013, 16:22
Hey people look what I've found about DX 1,sercret conversation about stay loyal to UNATCO.I never seen this before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

Deus Ex wont stop suprising me even after fifteen years.

Ashpolt
2nd Sep 2013, 16:57
OK, wow, I didn't know about this either.

And this, my friends, is why Deus Ex is one of the best games ever made. Do you think we'll still be discovering new things about DX:HR in 10 years?

Jerion
2nd Sep 2013, 18:00
I had no clue about this.

The sheer level of hidden narrative detail in the old game is amazing.

EricaLeeV
2nd Sep 2013, 18:02
I love this game so much.

I have seen that before and I like to think of all the ways the storyline would have changed. If JC would visit anywhere else, if there would still be more chances for him to go to the side of 'good', and if it would all somehow still end in the same manner.

In a way, I would love to see these questions answered in a possible remake/re-imagining, but that's a lot to ask. Fan discussion will have to suffice for now. :)

JCpies
2nd Sep 2013, 18:19
Surprised you haven't guys seen this before, but I didn't know it was possible without the 'cheats'.

Shralla
2nd Sep 2013, 21:16
Guy in the comments says this is how you get it.

- Give Gunther your pistol
- Kill every terrorist you meet (except the leader in the first mission)
- Don't go into women's bathroom
- Don't tell Anna that you have "Nerves made of steel"
- Save the hostages at the Hotel
- Don't interrupt Simons' interrogation
- Execute Lebedev as soon as Anna tells you to
After you get the "proof", go straight back to Paul and this dialogue will play

xaduha2
2nd Sep 2013, 23:33
And they tell me that HR is on the same level or even better. Blind madmen!

Shralla
2nd Sep 2013, 23:34
Seriously. Everything in HR has been found already. Game over.

SpecX
3rd Sep 2013, 01:32
Do you know about the room that was supposed to snipe Tong in the cut UNATCO storyline?
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/SpecX98/2013-05-04_00008_zps9dd93406.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/SpecX98/media/2013-05-04_00008_zps9dd93406.jpg.html)

The Room

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/SpecX98/2013-05-04_00007_zps0e961856.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/SpecX98/media/2013-05-04_00007_zps0e961856.jpg.html)

CyberP
3rd Sep 2013, 02:22
Edit: Removed.

As for the contents of the OP's posted video; it's an oversight. Oversights are common in game dev. such as bugs, it's complex work so no big deal. It's a cool find but not a news-worthy one.

Spyhopping
3rd Sep 2013, 11:53
This is fun. I love that it's still surprising me. The room thing is interesting too, though I'm confused what purpose the numbered arrows are playing in that picture.

68_pie
3rd Sep 2013, 12:22
It's a cool find but not a news-worthy one.

Calm down, dear.

This is fun. I love that it's still surprising me. The room thing is interesting too, though I'm confused what purpose the numbered arrows are playing in that picture.

I had assumed that they were indicating the suggested route to reach "the room".

Ilves
3rd Sep 2013, 12:26
I had assumed that they were indicating the suggested route to reach "the room".

How'd you get in without no-clipping though? Might as well ghost it all the way.

As for the convo in the OP: really strikes me how barely 30 secs of dialogue in DX has more heart to it than the entirety of HR. Epicness on an intimate scale over huge, convoluted world changing events anyday. :thumb:

JCpies
3rd Sep 2013, 13:17
I love breaking into Tong's compound and having a sword fight with all of the men there, like some old Hong-Kong flick.

AlexOfSpades
3rd Sep 2013, 13:54
"- JC, if only you'd open your eyes for one second..."

"- My vision is augmented."

*cue canned laughter, sitcom theme plays, camera changes to Gunther and Anna*

SpecX
3rd Sep 2013, 14:08
To get access to that room, have Speed Enhancement at max, and jump from here to here (the arrows I mean). First jump on the pillar, second on the wall, third on the fence, and the final on the top of the fence

Oh, and here is another thing that was cut in the final game, but this picture can still be found in the Unatco.utx located in DeusEx\Textures.

A photo showing Jaime Reyes, Manderley, and Paul

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/SpecX98/2013-05-19_00001_zpscb1f8dd4.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/SpecX98/media/2013-05-19_00001_zpscb1f8dd4.jpg.html)

FrankCSIS
3rd Sep 2013, 15:05
Epicness on an intimate scale over huge, convoluted world changing events anyday. :thumb:

How right you are! Human-scaled tragedy. Injects a lot more humanity into the story.

EricaLeeV
3rd Sep 2013, 15:12
How right you are! Human-scaled tragedy. Injects a lot more humanity into the story.

But BUT! Not in a cheap way. This isn't some soap opera.

Gotta build up those relationships properly in the players mind so we give a damn.

FrankCSIS
3rd Sep 2013, 15:18
Well, that's sort of a given ;)

If they can't do this on their own, they can always read up some Shakespeare, then adapt it to their plot :p

EricaLeeV
3rd Sep 2013, 15:21
I say that only because the most recent Deus Ex main title tried to make some of that more 'personal tragedy' play a big part in the game...but you know.

Seemed to annoy a lot of people. For good reason, really.

FrankCSIS
3rd Sep 2013, 15:26
Oh. Didn't catch that. My bad. :(

Yeah, well, as Ilves said, you have it right there in this vid, the difference between the two. The brother's relationship is a pillar of the main plot, but you see how differently it is played out, even without the ability to stay with UNATCO.

When someone talks of mature storytelling, this is what they ought to have in mind. It's not the drama itself that makes it mature, it's how it plays out.

EricaLeeV
3rd Sep 2013, 15:27
Well said, friend.

CyberP
3rd Sep 2013, 16:02
Well said, friend.

Frank's the man. I have high expectations of him at all times :cool: *nudges Frank*

JCpies
3rd Sep 2013, 20:00
"- JC, if only you'd open your eyes for one second..."

"- My vision is augmented."

*cue canned laughter, sitcom theme plays, camera changes to Gunther and Anna*

I love you. I will make this a reality some day.

WildcatPhoenix
5th Sep 2013, 15:38
A photo showing Jaime Reyes, Manderley, and Paul

I think that's supposed to be JC, Paul, and Jaime (I don't think Manderley's hair went completely gray in the amount of time that passed between this photo and the game).

They may have cut it after deciding to let the player determine JC/Paul's skin color and facial features, which would obviously require the texture to adapt to the player's choice.

JCpies
5th Sep 2013, 17:37
Yeah, I'm p.sure that's not Manderley, but it's JC? Sounds plausible I guess, they're about the same height so it makes sense.

AlexOfSpades
5th Sep 2013, 18:28
Could be Simons before the augmentations too, maybe?

But if this was a poll, i'd vote for JC.

FrankCSIS
5th Sep 2013, 21:58
Looks like a young Adrian Ripburger. Same suit, jaw, and cutthroat smile :p

But yeah, i'd vote JC as well

ColBashar
7th Sep 2013, 01:17
I remember getting this conversation in my first playthrough, actually. I didn't realize that it was so obscure but that really is part of the magic of Deus Ex. Even after ye number of playthroughs I still chance upon something that I hadn't noticed before.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that all you have to do to trigger this scene is to trek back to the 'ton after you discover the datapad in the basement of the NSF warehouse but before transmitting the signal to Silhouette. I tend to be a loyalist and sympathize with Sam Carter's sentiment that organizations should be improved from within so I didn't want to overtly betray UNATCO at this point. But being as it was my first run I didn't attempt non-lethal play and I did give Gunther my pistol so perhaps those do count as flags. Anyway, after recovering the datapad I went back to the 'ton expecting that this might lead to a branching storyline, much like in Wing Commander IV, but instead I got this conversation.

I eventually realized that when Paul says "I wish I knew how to convince you" what he really means is "you're not progressing in the game until I convince you". At that point I understood that I was expected to send the signal and that joining the NSF/leaving UNATCO was mandatory.

I'll have to see if I have a save game from this point to try to replicate the conversation. After my first run I never hesitated in sending the signal because I knew there was no alternative.

xaduha2
7th Sep 2013, 07:48
I think there are either no prerequisites at all (apart from reading the message and returning to Paul, obviously) or killing Lebedev is the only one.

Spyhopping
7th Sep 2013, 09:01
That picture, I'd say JC too but he's smiling. JC doesn't smile. Perhaps he's trying to intimidate the photographer.

JCpies
7th Sep 2013, 12:03
That reminded me of JC Denton facts.

Doom972
23rd Sep 2013, 13:50
It would've been possible to make it without even making new maps. JC would go to Hong Kong to assassinate Tong (after working for him to gain his trust), and then something similar for Chad and Nicolette, assault the cathedral after silhoutte have taken over it, etc.

Guy in the comments says this is how you get it.

- Give Gunther your pistol
- Kill every terrorist you meet (except the leader in the first mission)
- Don't go into women's bathroom
- Don't tell Anna that you have "Nerves made of steel"
- Save the hostages at the Hotel
- Don't interrupt Simons' interrogation
- Execute Lebedev as soon as Anna tells you to
After you get the "proof", go straight back to Paul and this dialogue will play

I've played DX several times (stopped counting after #8), but I never played it this exact way. I always go to the women's restroom.

I'm guessing that after saying that, the MiB's still want to kill JC, and the game keeps going as usual.

EDIT: Just tried it. This conversation does happen, but story won't continue until you change your mind and send the code. Now that I think about it, I think I got this conversation in the past. I think that all it really takes is just finding the proof and going back to Paul, but I'm not going to do the exact opposite and check for it.