PDA

View Full Version : FINAL FANTASY Series: Where I got started!

Popcicle
28th Aug 2012, 18:28
Hey everyone! We're coming really close to the Experience FINAL FANTASY event and one of our best opportunities to celebrate 25 years of this great series!

I'd like to ask you all about your history with FINAL FANTASY and perhaps which FINAL FANTASY game you started with first! Keep in mind this doesn't have to be a numbered FINAL FANTASY, which title from the full series got you into these games?

Steepo
28th Aug 2012, 18:53
The first FF I'd ever played was 3. It was also the first time I'd ever become completely captivated by a game.

new_tradition
28th Aug 2012, 21:09
My first FF game almost 12 years ago was Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1. On a whim, I borrowed it from my cousin, and I completely adored it. The gameplay of an SRPG was really interesting to me, and in hindsight, all the FF flare was really well done, distingushing it quite well from other SRPGs.

The story was just incredible to boot, really invoking a lot of feelings in me about the different characters and their respective outcomes and journeys. Probably one of the few games I played that didn't have a classic "happily ever after", which in of itself I found very refreshing even now.

The graphics for a PS1 game were quite stellar, the music was just perfect, matching the atmosphere of the game completely, and the art was just really great.

Over-all, FFT was my first FF game, first SquareSoft/Enix game, first RPG, first JRPG, and SRPG.

I still take a great amount of humour in the fact the one game from FF series I started with and subsequentely sucked me into this amazing franchise is the game that had the least in common with the other games, lol.

member_10822883
28th Aug 2012, 23:42
I first played FFVI for the SNES in the mid-90s, after really enjoying Super Mario RPG. That led me to exploring the rest of the series, as well as the many games that came out later. Since then, it's been my favorite franchise.

Syn
29th Aug 2012, 01:56
I got sucked in a littlke differently, I found a FFVIII disc booklet lying around and read it, had never played an rpg so the sheer amount of stuff I saw you could do within the booklet amazed me, and I honestly could not believe one was able to do all that, so began my search, and the first game one I played was IV, never finished it then, then I found the critically aclaimed VII, and I was a goner, next was IX, then X, somehow I had never found single copy of VIII, the game that had first grabbed my attention, then finally, Six years after I saw that booklet, I found the game and played it to my hearts content. Since then, I have played nearly every S/SE game I could find, and loved every moment, all thanks to that booklet I found 13 years ago.

ToxicParamour-342476
29th Aug 2012, 02:07
The first FF game I played was VII just a couple years after it first came out. My cousins were stuck and couldn't beat the black weapon and were furious with me when I picked up the controller and did it for them. Not long after that I begged my parents for a PlayStation and they got it and FFVII for me, I think I had about six save files haha. Ever since then it had become my favorite of the entire series and a game to this day I still love.

The music was gorgeous, the story was beautiful and the characters just rocked, to this day I still hail Sephiroth as my video game god.

Exentryk
30th Aug 2012, 08:18
The first Final Fantasy I played was FF8. It is my favourite final fantasy, and I have quite a few good memories of it. I can spend all day listening to its beautiful soundtrack.

And don't forget about Triple Triad. My favourite minigame in the series. I wish SE released an online version, or on mobile phones or something. Playing TT in real time against other FF8 fans and collecting all the cards would be so much fun.

member_10027098
30th Aug 2012, 19:15
Technically, I first played the original Final Fantasy when I was a wee lad. I can only recall making it to Garland, however. My first full-on playthrough was with Final Fantasy VII. I adored it dearly and actually didn't even remember playing the first one until a much later date. After I borrowed Final Fantasy VII, I got my own copy and began getting Final Fantasy games for Christmas, including VIII, IX, and Anthology.

member_10027098
30th Aug 2012, 19:16
The first FF I'd ever played was 3. It was also the first time I'd ever become completely captivated by a game.

I'm curious if by 3 you mean the US version, which would be Final Fantasy VI. :)

member_10159804
31st Aug 2012, 07:49
My first Final Fantasy game that I played was FF 10. I decided to give that a try after playing Dragon Quests 3 and 7. Since then, I've played all the single-player numbered FF games.

Squall-Nathan
31st Aug 2012, 13:16
I played VII as a kid but my first complete playthrough was FFX. Afterwards I went back and completed VII.

Syltinia
31st Aug 2012, 13:19
The first Final Fantasy I played was the first video game I bought for my original NES. IT was the first release of the first Final Fantasy in North America. After that I bought each and every system that had a Final Fantasy title coming out on it until , of course, they started coming out on multiple systems.

Randis
31st Aug 2012, 18:39
My first was FF II for famicom (import), i have admitedly did not play it too much... FF VI (in US FF III) got me hooked and is still my most fav FF.

Ashetaka
31st Aug 2012, 21:03
My first experience was Final Fantasy VI (U.S. FFIII) for SNES back in 1995. Being exposed at such a young age to the series has made me a lifetime supporter of the franchise.

aaronwebb91
1st Sep 2012, 16:40
my first game was ff12. i went into some gameshop in a mall looking for another copy of Legend of Dragoon for ps1(another epic rpg). and was looking around and found just laying there in a bin for a dollar and was like what the hell i took it home and played for like three days straight. ever since then i have been playing since then.

member_10062039
1st Sep 2012, 17:11
My first game was FFVIII. I was looking for another rpg game but the cover and title sparked my interest. After I finished that game I went and bought the rest of the series and started playing from FFI to the current game at that time which was FFX (*ยด∀?*)

onigiri619
7th Sep 2012, 01:01
Started with IX. Never got the references till went back and played most of the originals cept IV. Now kinda wished I played the ones prior to IX first for the callbacks T^T

gerdie76
10th Sep 2012, 07:22
Hi how is everyone

Ety
15th Sep 2012, 05:23
Hello all!

Mine has been FF XII.

I was on a music forum and people were talking about something named "Final Fantasy"; I knew it was a video game because I have played Kingdom Hearts II before (and enjoyed it), of a strange unknown type called RPG. I knew some names like Aerith, Squall, and there were many fanboys of VII and VIII urging me to begin with these; but a wise person advised me to begin with the most recent one, which was XII at this time.

I played 1 hour and found that boring (I hate happy scenes). After several weeks (and the speech scene), I gave it a second chance and it is currently the best game I have ever played, motivating me for both a career in the video game industry and in literature due to its incredibly fluent battle system and amazing but under-exploited story which made me write more about it. Still living in Ivalice after 5 years.

Afterwards, I played Dissidia: Final Fantasy as well as Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy and discovered all the other characters, and loved most of them. I am finishing I and next are II and X. I also have begun Tactics since I loved the world of Ivalice.

And, funny fact, I played/watched all of the FF VII compilation except... the main title FF VII! Can I call myself a fan of VII anyway? /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

If I could afford a 3DS, I would definitely try Theathrythm (among other SE titles). And, like many others, I keep an eye on Versus XIII and want to express my bitterness not to see a Western version of the apparently-brilliant Type-0, since I have and love the PSP platform.

That was my story with Final Fantasy!

FourBuckley
20th Sep 2012, 13:46
My first game was FF 9, second FF 7, third FF 8. After that i played all the games except for Final Fantasy 5 and 6.

LEOgaiato
20th Sep 2012, 13:58
Final Fantasy 7, and i stayed totally addicted to it... later i searched all the FF and i played all http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

alanman178
20th Sep 2012, 21:38
FF1 on the NES back in 1990. I've been a big FF fan ever since. Ya really had to grind in that one. Very unlike the games these days. Square-Enix pushes us through, and we're like, "Wait! Wait!. What's that over there! I wanna check that out!" THEM: "Nope! Nothing to see here! Keep moving!" lol The '90's had the best rpgs.

Starlight36
2nd Oct 2012, 01:29
Hello! This is my first post here. As someone who is of the opinion that obligatory introduction forums are silly, I'm pleased to find that this site doesn't (appear to?) have one.

My first Final Fantasy game was the DS remake of Final Fantasy III. I remember reading about it in an issue of Nintendo power and thinking to myself, "Y'know, that looks pretty cool," and I wound up buying it, and I gotta say, it's pretty fun. It was long enough ago (I got it around when it first came out) that I actually have a few nostalgic memories of it, but not as much as, say, Pokemon or the Paper Mario games. It led me to buy FFIV DS, FFI&II: Dawn of Souls and FFV Advance. Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is probably the newest Final Fantasy I've played, (not counting X since I was just barely past the beginning in that game) but it may not count since it's not a numbered game. I have also played the original Crystal Chronicles as well as Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

So far, I, III and V are my favorites, although II and IV are good, too. Despite it being considered something like the Ocarina of Time of the Final Fantasy series, I've never played VII. I kind of want to (because it's so acclaimed) and kind of don't (because of hype backlash,) but odds are I will at some point. I really want to play 4 Warriors of Light, as well.

theblackjester
2nd Oct 2012, 05:21
Hello! This is my first post here. As someone who is of the opinion that obligatory introduction forums are silly, I'm pleased to find that this site doesn't (appear to?) have one.

My first Final Fantasy game was the DS remake of Final Fantasy III. I remember reading about it in an issue of Nintendo power and thinking to myself, "Y'know, that looks pretty cool," and I wound up buying it, and I gotta say, it's pretty fun. It was long enough ago (I got it around when it first came out) that I actually have a few nostalgic memories of it, but not as much as, say, Pokemon or the Paper Mario games. It led me to buy FFIV DS, FFI&II: Dawn of Souls and FFV Advance. Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is probably the newest Final Fantasy I've played, (not counting X since I was just barely past the beginning in that game) but it may not count since it's not a numbered game. I have also played the original Crystal Chronicles as well as Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

So far, I, III and V are my favorites, although II and IV are good, too. Despite it being considered something like the Ocarina of Time of the Final Fantasy series, I've never played VII. I kind of want to (because it's so acclaimed) and kind of don't (because of hype backlash,) but odds are I will at some point. I really want to play 4 Warriors of Light, as well.

I hated the III remake. I rather still play the translated ROM.
I bought it and regretted it.

The original look had more heart.
My first was the first, man years, my Grand Mother had that but prefered Legend of Zelda, one of Best Friends had it too. Eventually I did,
back after Dragon Warrior I/Nintendo Power deal. Final Fantasy came with a similar booklet, now look at things.
Even the on machine manual is nothing.
Games have less heart and more rendering, man I would love to have the FF4 original game engine or Wyziwig builder to work around my own story and maps.
Just so I can do what they won't market and I officially submit.

ashes_to_midgar
8th Oct 2012, 00:07
My first was FFX. Then went back and played FFVII, FFIX, and just kept exploring the series from there.

member_10255770
21st Oct 2012, 20:38
The first game that I played was the first FFI for the NES that was a true grind to it as there was no help to find untill the nintendo power came out with their stratigy guide (that I still own). I then played every game that came out after. FFVI is my favorite by far as the character development is just amazing and you just get hooked and sucked into the game. I really wish they would remake the game with the FFXIII engine as that would be amazing and I would buy it in two seconds.

I have also played all of the dragon warriors and DW2 is just as amazing in its added addtions to the world of RPGs.

alanman178
21st Oct 2012, 22:37
The first game that I played was the first FFI for the NES that was a true grind to it as there was no help to find untill the nintendo power came out with their stratigy guide (that I still own). I then played every game that came out after. FFVI is my favorite by far as the character development is just amazing and you just get hooked and sucked into the game. I really wish they would remake the game with the FFXIII engine as that would be amazing and I would buy it in two seconds.

I have also played all of the dragon warriors and DW2 is just as amazing in its added addtions to the world of RPGs.

I have that strategy guide too. FF1 was murder without it. lol Also, DW2 was awesome. I loved how they built around Alefgard. That game was a work of art.

Persona
22nd Oct 2012, 17:19
Final Fantasy 3 didnt love it. Saw Advent Children a few years later decided to give 7 a try. Sat in front of the TV for probably 3 days straight

Eurydemus001
2nd Nov 2012, 21:08
When I was 5 years old, a JRPG called Legend of Legaia was released. It was my first RPG game I ever played; I absolutely loved it. Nearly a month after completing it I begged my parents to buy me more. I ended up getting Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, and Legend of Dragoon. Final fantasy 7 and 8 have gotten their use over the years. My uncle saw that I was such a fan, he gave me his NES collection to play. I guess I was quite priveliged when it came to video games.

SolidSoldier
9th Nov 2012, 06:25
My first rpg honestly was Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest lol. I thought it was an awesome game and still think it is even today, it was jus such a beginner rpg but it introduced me to a new style of gaming and the world of Final Fantasy! Even though I have my favorites now Mystic Quest will always hold a special place in my heart!!

Gaialei_Strife
9th Nov 2012, 18:55
My first was Final Fantasy IX... it would've been FFVII but my PC couldn't take it...

VoidTemp1ar
12th Nov 2012, 14:09
I believe my first Final Fantasy was FFX. After playing that through about 20 or 30 times, I decided to try out others and after awhile, became completely engrose in it. Other than 8 and 9, I have played all FF other than the online ones due to money issues :( But still thank you Square Enix for making such a good game series and I hope to continue seeing more and more releases :)

ervinjohn
13th Nov 2012, 04:54
Final Fantasy I and II for the PS1 was my first... *It had me sleep so late. My grades fell so badly after abruptly loosing my focus on studies but it was a good experience.

member_10168025
18th Nov 2012, 15:04
I remember picking up a very old Final Fantasy, and played it for like 10 minutes.. if that. So i dont even count this as my first one. (I cannot even remember the name of it now.)

But for sure my first experience with Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy VII, i remember spending the night at a friends house when i was in 6th grade, 12 years of age, we set out to rent a few games, I am pretty sure we picked up not only Final Fantasy VII, but i want to say one of the Jet Moto's. Anyway, since there was so much hype around Final Fantasy VII, we put it in first. I cannot remember who was actually playing, but we skipped the intro, went straight to the game (as normal kids would, that have never played an RPG before) we watched Cloud hop off the train, and get into battle, we didnt think the graphics were that great, in comparison to Jet Moto, and as we progressed (not even to the first reactor) we felt very dissapointed. Me and my friend agreed that Final Fantasy was the worst game ever and vowed to never play it again haha.

Later on, I heard my brother mention getting the game, and I very swiftly said "that game is horrible, do not waste your money and time" he replied "its Final Fantasy I know what im doing.." Since it was a household where there were 4 sons, with only one video game system, we had to take turns playing, and I would sit and watch my brothers play while I waited for my turn. As I watched my brother play Final Fantasy, and after he had gotten rather far into the game, i eventually decided to ask him.... "can i play" LOLOL and from there Final Fantasy is now basically the only game i ever play. I own nearly every Final Fantasy, and have beaten all the ones i own minus a few like Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 etc etc. I have even played Final Fantasy XI, and Final Fantasy XIV (im a legacy holder in XIV)

I simply love this series, and cannot seem to get enough of it :D

WilfredWfdCaroG
27th Nov 2012, 09:19
undoubtedly the first final fantasy I had the opportunity to play was FF VIII, this game is amazing, music, performance, the outcome was so exciting finish.
from there I played FF VII incredible!, resume start playing FF III, FF, FFIX very good, but I get the game under FF X life, his home and the new proposal for PS2, the soundtrack, the aeons, its denouement magic is my favorite yet.
PS3 today with a proposal very modern to me liked FFXII and FF XII-2 I need to finish 100% but we jejej.
Greetings from Bogota COLOMBIA D.C.

Pocamantis
27th Nov 2012, 21:01
The first Final Fantasy I ever played was the FFVIII demo I got from the Playstation underground but the first one I ever purchased was X. I still remember buying it and coming home and starting a new file. Since then I've played almost every Final Fantasy but X has remained my favorite.

idkbaka5
27th Nov 2012, 22:25
My first Final Fantasy game was Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles without even knowing what it was. Final Fantasy VII is what got me hooked on the whole FF series though.

lightki1991
30th Nov 2012, 01:04
My first final fantasy i played was VII it was too hard for me to understand at a young age but it was my first i remember thinking it was the best game ever then dying over and over on the first timed boss and giving up then i played IX when i grew up a bit and loved it to this day it is still my favorit final fantasy i have played most but the new ones all the way through and i believe the first one i beat was IX but im currently entranced in XI until i get either a ps3 or a laptop that can support XIV

member_10829610
14th Dec 2012, 11:43
The 1st one I played was FFIV, but was too hard for me at the time, so I dropped it.

AliceTwilight
19th Dec 2012, 01:00
The first game I played was Final Fantasy VII

It's also the first video game I touched so this game is very special to me :)

EvilDisco
20th Dec 2012, 21:51
The first one was FFVII back in 1997. I was 17 then. Had already played and beaten Bushido Blade. I loved the heck out of that game and noticed that BB and FFVII were both by Square and decided to give it a try. I was hooked ever since.

aznboiray
21st Dec 2012, 23:05
My first Final Fantasy game was FFVII but my dad broke my playstation along with the cd infront of me for ignoring my sister and playing the game too long. till this day i never cried so hard in my life. My second FF was 1 and 2 then i beat 3-10 and 12 soon after.

jimbrault12
25th Dec 2012, 20:36
Hey everyone! We're coming really close to the Experience FINAL FANTASY event and one of our best opportunities to celebrate 25 years of this great series!

I'd like to ask you all about your history with FINAL FANTASY and perhaps which FINAL FANTASY game you started with first! Keep in mind this doesn't have to be a numbered FINAL FANTASY, which title from the full series got you into these games?

Final Fatansy XII was the first installment I played. This game was amazing, the best game I have ever played.

Sadly, I'm not sure Square will be able to produce another like it again. But it is nice to at least have one "block-buster" title.

jimbrault12
25th Dec 2012, 20:36

Final Fatansy XII was the first installment I played. This game was amazing, the best game I have ever played.

Sadly, I'm not sure Square will be able to produce another like it again. But it is nice to at least have one "block-buster" title.

thomas.gotcher
27th Dec 2012, 23:12
My first final fantasy game was FF7. It is my favorite in the series. I honestly liked every game except FF13.

IMustTurd
1st Jan 2013, 23:26
ff 4 was my first in the philipines on my DS

member_10687105
3rd Jan 2013, 09:33
I got started on the original: Final Fantasy for the NES. I've played most of the numbered titles, and enjoyed all of them. My favorites are VI, X and XIII, with VIII and Tactics close behind.

t~

DuendeSlayer93
9th Jan 2013, 00:08
Final Fatansy XII was the first installment I played. It is my favourite final fantasy.

moooka
9th Jan 2013, 00:45
7 was my first FF, but 8 is what really made me like the series.