PDA

View Full Version : How many of you wanted Jensen and Malik to be together?

FC_paragon
15th Aug 2013, 20:28
I finished my first playthrough and i really felt that Malik had feelings for Jensen, and i really wanted something to happen between them. I just wanna know if i'm the only one who's feeling this way. Anyone?

JCpies
15th Aug 2013, 20:43
otp

sadmachine
15th Aug 2013, 21:35
I like the idea of it. I read that subtext into Jensen and Malik's interactions and I like the game a little more. I only use a pistol because how else would Spyboy roll, you know? But I think it's better that it was left to the imagination. It's pretty hard to do romancey stuff in a game and not have it be weird.

68_pie
15th Aug 2013, 22:00
otp

brotp

Lucifer
16th Aug 2013, 07:42
Stop making those foolish threads. This is Deus Ex game not a love story.

Darknoon
16th Aug 2013, 18:11
I think what was hinted at was nice, but I think anything more would've been too distracting with the whole "hunt for Megan" thing. It could only really be introduced as a plot element after Adam's dissapointing reunion with Megan, and there isn't enough time left after that to bring a new romance arc to a satisfying conclusion. Plus, she can be dead for many people. I know choice & consequence is all good, but the end of the game already felt rushed to me. Even if it was feasible to add this in, it'd would've been at the cost of more important features.

AlexOfSpades
16th Aug 2013, 22:39
JC / Paul OTP

Darknoon
16th Aug 2013, 22:57
JC / Paul OTP

JC/ GEP Gun OTP. :naughty:

JCpies
17th Aug 2013, 07:02
hobo / JC otp

Shralla
17th Aug 2013, 08:13
I just hope they keep "romance options" far, far away from Deus Ex. The whole Megan storyline does not bode well, however.

vb4
17th Aug 2013, 10:07
It would be fun to have Megan as the villain for the next game.

Karpaw
17th Aug 2013, 14:08
I just hope they keep "romance options" far, far away from Deus Ex. The whole Megan storyline does not bode well, however.

I don't know why you would say that. The Adam-Megan "romance" is one of the most subversive takes on romantic relationship I've seen in a video game. Consider:

Adam and Megan have already broken up when the game starts. This was prompted by Adam, who perceives Megan as distant and absorbed in her work. During the course of the game, the player learns about Adam's aug-positive DNA and its importance for Megan's efforts to eliminate neuropozyne dependency, which implies ulterior motives behind Megan's interest in Adam. When he learns that Megan and the other kidnap victims are alive, the player is set up to expect a damsel-in-distress-scenario, with Megan being held against her will.

But their reunion is far from amicable. Instead of Megan's reaction being the clich├ęd "Oh Adam, you came to save me. I luv you!", he is the last thing on her mind. Judging by her surprise at Adam's augmentations, she hasn't made any effort to check up on him since her abduction. That's because she has discarded him for her new sweetheart Jaron Namir ("Jaron, is that you?", said in a cloyingly seductive tone), who enables her ambitions by allowing Megan into her role as a willing Illuminati toady.

To top it off, the post-credits scene reveals Megan - with Namir out of the equation - running into the arms of her new sugar daddy: Bob Page. "Where else would I go?" Where, indeed; it's not as if she can settle for less, now that she's gotten a taste of things at the top. The project she is to work on is implied to result in the Gray Death. Wittingly or not, her selfish decisions eventually lead to misery and death for untold millions... you know, kind of like in that other famous relationship involving a guy called Adam. Megan's actions and Adam letting her take advantage of him is their original sin.

Far from twue wuv 4-ever, their relationship is portrayed as an utterly destructive force of female manipulation and opportunism. It's literally amazing that it was written by a woman, because of how arguably misogynistic it is. How can you not love it? :)

68_pie
17th Aug 2013, 14:33
How can you not love it? :)

Because we are given no reason to care.

vb4
17th Aug 2013, 15:00
arguably misogynistic

It's not misogynistic. The story simply isn't sexist. A female writer can get away with that.
Are you also calling a game with a black villain racist?

Karpaw
17th Aug 2013, 17:14
Because we are given no reason to care.

Granted, the background of their relationship could have been developed better but that would necessarily involve giving it more focus and attention, which would have been met with far more vigorous cries of "get your romance crap out of my Deus Ex". Romance isn't exactly alien to noir fiction, the thematic antecedent of cyberpunk, so it's not as if it's unprecedented.

It's not misogynistic. The story simply isn't sexist. A female writer can get away with that.
Are you also calling a game with a black villain racist?

I said arguably... and ├*t depends on the portrayal. If the villain was characterized by traditionally dehumanizing tropes meant to evoke the "uncultured savage" stereotype, then yes... that would be pretty racist, considering the history of Euroamerican-African relations.

I brought up misogyny because of the quite obvious Megan-Eve analogy. The story of the Fall is kind of the ur-example of misogyny in western mythology, which is why I find it fascinating that a female writer would model the Adam-Megan relationship thereon by making her into a cold-hearted, manipulative [female dog]. I don't really care about Social Justice Wankery in games but Anita Sarkeesian could probably pay her rent for months on this topic alone. ;)

Shralla
17th Aug 2013, 17:50
Far from twue wuv 4-ever, their relationship is portrayed as an utterly destructive force of female manipulation and opportunism.

Yeah, and it makes Adam Jensen look like a complete ******* *****. It made the entire story borderline unenjoyable for me. It was gross, pathetic, and poorly written overall.

JC was never such a meathead.

CyberP
17th Aug 2013, 21:12
Yeah, and it makes Adam Jensen look like a complete ******* *****. It made the entire story borderline unenjoyable for me. It was gross, pathetic, and poorly written overall.

JC was never such a meathead.

Oh come on.

Gross? Pathetic? Jensen a complete *******? You are starting to sound like a hypocrite too now, you sound like that "real man" you pointed the finger at before :lol:

Jensen is a badass, always will be. He got manipulated, it can happen to anyone. I could tell you I have a 12" ****, but how would you know for sure until you see it? My point: "Everybody lies", but some take it very, very far and if they are good at it you wouldn't even know until it is too late. It can happen to anyone, even JC. In fact it does, the amazing plot twist 1/3 of the way through the game he discovers....

As for poorly written, no. It's not on DX's level, but it's above average for a video game. I understand you expect DX quality all round, me too, but don't slam the game to this level. It's a masterpiece in it's own right.

Shralla
17th Aug 2013, 22:35
Jensen is a badass, always will be

Unless his ex-girlfriend is involved, apparently.

He got manipulated, it can happen to anyone.

Not really. The point of Deus Ex is starting out in a period where you are being manipulated and growing your way out of it because it's all very obvious. After leaving UNATCO, JC didn't take no crap from anybody. Jensen was a mess all the way until the end of the game, at which point he was still a mess, but a mess you could control. And regardless of all this, JC was never a sucker for women. Jensen clearly is, which makes him unrelateable and significantly less badass in my eyes. I never got to make the choice of being dragged along like a moron by my ex-girlfriend, something which I resent, maybe because I actually have negative experiences with ex-girlfriends and I'm not stupid enough to fall for anything twice. Given the option, I would have forgotten about Megan by the time I got to Heng-Sha in favor of significantly more important and interesting developments, namely the whole conspiracy storyline that Jensen just doesn't even express interest in!

I wouldn't call HR a masterpiece in any right.

sadmachine
17th Aug 2013, 22:36
I feel like what we got for backstory on Megan and Adam was enough. Too many stories go off the rails trying to explain everything. I like that DXHR just gives these little glimpses of Adam's old life. Enough to humanize him, not so much that it distracts from the plot or slows things down. It's just good, economical storytelling. Like RoboCop.

xaduha2
17th Aug 2013, 22:56
Helicopter pilots. Every game in the franchise had them (sort of).
But for Jocks sake let's keep it professional!

_Gb0bu2vsuA

CyberP
17th Aug 2013, 23:33
The point of Deus Ex is starting out in a period where you are being manipulated and growing your way out of it because it's all very obvious. After leaving UNATCO, JC didn't take no crap from anybody. Jensen was a mess all the way until the end of the game, at which point he was still a mess, but a mess you could control.

Your workmates are slaughtered, you are critically injured. (hmm, Jensen doesn't really comment on any of his work mate's death, strange).
You lose your limbs which are replaced with mechanical ones.
You are also fitted with all kinds of experimental tech without your consent (hmm, Jensen never really confronts Sarif about this, also strange).
You also originally believe your ex-girlfriend is dead as well as your dog. This ex-girlfriend was the last person you saw before you black out, she appeared to be defendng you.

Myself, psychologically I'd be a mess I predict and would want to hunt down the attackers (Which Jensen does, cause he's badass). I'd try to appear tough, but would likely have moments of unstable emotions, at least when alone. A lead is discovered that my ex, whom I care for, is still alive yet held captive. This ex (whom I am under the impression is a half-decent human being), her safety would be be my priority along with vengeance/answers, which will likely be found when rescuing the ex. Once she is in safe hands, THEN maybe, just maybe I'd try to take on the Illuminati/MJ12, an invisible force unless you have the right connections.

And regardless of all this, JC was never a sucker for women. Jensen clearly is, which makes him unrelateable and significantly less badass in my eyes.

He was unaware of Megan's deceit. Badasses do not have an all-seeing eye. Badasses are not perfect, just like everybody else.

I never got to make the choice of being dragged along like a moron by my ex-girlfriend

You never asked for this? You never had a choice to side with UNATCO in DX either: "I never had time to take the Oath of Service to the Coalition. How about this one? I swear not to rest until UNATCO is free of you and the other crooked bureaucrats who have perverted its mission."

something which I resent, maybe because I actually have negative experiences with ex-girlfriends

You and me both.

and I'm not stupid enough to fall for anything twice.

But how would you know there is something to fall for? Sometimes you just cannot.

Given the option, I would have forgotten about Megan by the time I got to Heng-Sha in favor of significantly more important and interesting developments, namely the whole conspiracy storyline that Jensen just doesn't even express interest in!

See above. However I agree it's odd that the Illuminati is brought up but hardly explored, and that Jensen has little to comment in regards to it.
Sure, everything bad that happens in the game is meant to be the work of the Illuminati/MJ12, but I bet most players are not even aware of that. Tbh I kinda like that subtlety, they are the Illuminati/MJ12 afterall and are not close enough to the power they have in DX1 to operate so openly. However, perhaps it was a little too subtle, just like the ambient soundtracks ;)

I wouldn't call HR a masterpiece in any right.

"Highly flawed masterpiece" ;)

You're probably right, it is a bit too flawed as a whole. Still, great game by modern standards, I just believe it deserves as much positive attention as negative, even though I wish it was much better. I want to be the one to make it better along with my partner, though writing would be left intact as that is not something that can be modified so easily and it's not in my interests or skillset as much anyway.

FrankCSIS
18th Aug 2013, 04:41
Grim Fandango had a better love story.

Just sayin

"Love? Love is for the living, Sal"