PDA

View Full Version : How Deus Ex got human evolution wrong... or backwards

spliph
7th Aug 2013, 04:32
I'm going to try and summarize this from the long essay I had in my head :p

In Deus Ex, mechanical augmentation is considered to be inferior to nano-technological augmentation, when in fact, scientist in real life predict that mechanical augmentation (full-body augmentation, for clarification) will be the next step in human evolution, as mankind's brains will be mapped out by a computer and uploaded into a robotic/synthetic body, thus enabling us to think at the speeds of super computers (increasing our intelligence substantially), finally creating one race of our species (no more ignorant hate based on the color of one's skin), replacing our weaker biological bodies, and being able to upgrade ourselves to a higher-degree than we could our biological bodies.

Nano-technology is viewed by many scientist as a way to prolong our lives long enough to see the day where humans become robots/machines and finally transcend biology.

In a nutshell: Deus Ex has human evolution all backwards.

How Eidos could potentially fix this
Once again, I'm going to try and summarize this for you all.

Eidos could easily make a storyline, further focusing on the technological aspect of the series, where some scientist, presumably Megan, realizes that there is more potential in mechanical augmentation than there is in nano-technological augmentation.

Shralla
7th Aug 2013, 04:51
Haha, but there isn't. The only real attachment we have to mechanical augmentation is that its perceptibly within our grasp. The same is not true of nano-technology, which on a Deus-Ex scale would be far superior to mechanical augmentation.

68_pie
7th Aug 2013, 08:48
Eidos could easily make a storyline, further focusing on the technological aspect of the series, where some scientist, presumably Megan, realizes that there is more potential in mechanical augmentation than there is in nano-technological augmentation.

So...you want them to retcon the whole canon?

CyberP
7th Aug 2013, 10:31
Nanotechnology is a relatively new field of scientific study, that said it is still far likely to be superior means of human augmentation in the future. Deus Ex covers this subject rather well.
Nanobots basically are the direct next step/evolution of mechanical augs. Machines on a microscopic/nanoscale programmed to do as they are told with extreme precision.
In Deus Ex nanobots can also self-replicate, hence this is said: "Excuse that I have forgotten your brother Paul Denton and the infinite power of nano-augmentation."

Karpaw
8th Aug 2013, 08:52
Nanotech or not, I think the notion of uploading one's mind into a digital construct is a cybertranscendental pipe dream. It assumes that the human mind is like a piece of software separable from its meaty storage device, a very Cartesian idea that seems to ignore modern neuroscience.

CyberP
8th Aug 2013, 11:07
Nanotech or not, I think the notion of uploading one's mind into a digital construct is a cybertranscendental pipe dream. It assumes that the human mind is like a piece of software separable from its meaty storage device, a very Cartesian idea that seems to ignore modern neuroscience.

It seems to be you who is ignoring scientific study and progress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%E2%80%93computer_interface

Karpaw
8th Aug 2013, 12:41
How does that link disprove what I said? You realize that interfacing neurally with an external device and "[uploading] into a robotic/synthetic body" , i.e transferring your consciousness from an organic vessel into a synthetic one, are very different things, yes?

CyberP
8th Aug 2013, 17:10
How does that link disprove what I said? You realize that interfacing neurally with an external device and "[uploading] into a robotic/synthetic body" , i.e transferring your consciousness from an organic vessel into a synthetic one, are very different things, yes?

It doesn't disprove your point, however:

I think the notion of uploading one's mind into a digital construct is a cybertranscendental pipe dream.

Mind-Machine Interfacing is proof that one's mind can directly interact with a machine. Whether or not one day we will be able to "upload" our minds to a machine, who knows.

You haven't put forward the scientific evidence that allegedly disproves the "cybertranscendental pipe dream" will ever come to fruition.

spliph
11th Aug 2013, 21:33
It doesn't disprove your point, however:

Mind-Machine Interfacing is proof that one's mind can directly interact with a machine. Whether or not one day we will be able to "upload" our minds to a machine, who knows.

You haven't put forward the scientific evidence that allegedly disproves the "cybertranscendental pipe dream" will ever come to fruition.

This person knows what they're talking about!

Shralla
12th Aug 2013, 04:32

Modern neuroscience can't even explain actual consciousness. I wouldn't be too worried.

neoWilks
12th Aug 2013, 07:50
Progression doesn't fall into rigid stages, one completely supplanting the other all at once. You could have advancement that first favors mechanical augmentation, then nano, then back to mechanical.

The reason this happens in Deus Ex should be pretty clear. Mechanical augmentations are clumsy. Sure, you can make strength and speed enhancements, but there are some pretty obvious costs. The process involves considerable physical pain and stress. There is a long recovery time as recipients learn to operate their new enhancements. And you're left taking anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life. Besides that, cosmetically speaking, mechanical limbs give off something of a Frankenstein vibe.

Nanotechnology, however, works with the body's natural biology to achieve the same effects. The procedure is painless, and nanite presence is discreet. The only real issue is compatibility. That's why fewer nano-augmented individuals exist. But for those to whom nano-augmentation is a possibility, it's obviously a much more attractive option.

If in the Deus Ex future, it becomes possible to transfer one's mind into a computer, mechanical augmentation might again be the favored choice. At least for those willing to shed their meat.

spliph
15th Aug 2013, 03:30
Progression doesn't fall into rigid stages, one completely supplanting the other all at once. You could have advancement that first favors mechanical augmentation, then nano, then back to mechanical.

The reason this happens in Deus Ex should be pretty clear. Mechanical augmentations are clumsy. Sure, you can make strength and speed enhancements, but there are some pretty obvious costs. The process involves considerable physical pain and stress. There is a long recovery time as recipients learn to operate their new enhancements. And you're left taking anti-rejection drugs for the rest of your life. Besides that, cosmetically speaking, mechanical limbs give off something of a Frankenstein vibe.

Nanotechnology, however, works with the body's natural biology to achieve the same effects. The procedure is painless, and nanite presence is discreet. The only real issue is compatibility. That's why fewer nano-augmented individuals exist. But for those to whom nano-augmentation is a possibility, it's obviously a much more attractive option.

If in the Deus Ex future, it becomes possible to transfer one's mind into a computer, mechanical augmentation might again be the favored choice. At least for those willing to shed their meat.
Exactly. Deus Ex is all about human evolution and science (plus the gameplay and plot), so, if Eidos wants to evolve the human race even further, brain-computer interface is the obvious next realistic step.