PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished Blood Omen 1

Reidbynature
6th Aug 2013, 20:47
I never got Blood Omen 1 when it was originally out on the PSOne. I wanted to, I certainly remember reading previews in magazines at the times, but never ended up getting it because I was a kid living with my parents and I didn't have the money at the time. I eventually got into the LoK series with first Soul Reaver game.

So for a long time I had missed out. When I thought to look on Amazon and other sites for a PSOne copy the game was only available at ridiculous extortionate prices (around £300) and nowhere to be found in second hand sections of game shops. Plus it didn't hit the EU PSN store for a few years after it hit the US PSN store (sadly not the only game to do so). However I eventually got my hands on the game through the PSN and completed it last night.

I've got to say it was a lot of fun. I was surprised at how good the acting and story generally was. I wouldn't say it's the strongest scripted game, but Kain's monologues certainly stand out as a high point to me. I thought the game played pretty well too, some flaws here and there in gameplay choices and PSOne era load times were a bit grating now and then considering the frequency in which they were encountered just for using simple menus but overall a very fun game.

The_Hylden
7th Aug 2013, 10:55
Nice :) If you ever are able to come across the PC version, you should get it, as with the patches the load times are completely removed. They ported it with those crazy load times, but thanks to wrace and Vampmaster, it's now load-free and so much better.

Reidbynature
7th Aug 2013, 13:24
It's worth thinking about. However with my laptop I'm not even confident it would be able to play it properly. With the farce that I went through with trying to get Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to work on my laptop (it still doesn't properly) which I was assured would have worked with my laptop despite it not being a proper gaming PC I'm not keen on getting any game, even old school ones to play on it.

Ber
7th Aug 2013, 22:21
Congrats!

Definitely one of the best entries in the series IMHO, followed by Soul Reaver they are my top on the list! I am replaying it at the moment and still cannot believe how good it is, and how well did the sequels connecting everything!

Count D
8th Aug 2013, 14:20
It's worth thinking about. However with my laptop I'm not even confident it would be able to play it properly. With the farce that I went through with trying to get Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition to work on my laptop (it still doesn't properly) which I was assured would have worked with my laptop despite it not being a proper gaming PC I'm not keen on getting any game, even old school ones to play on it.

Oh, come on. I know it's a laptop, but BG was on a newer (and glitcher) engine and BO1 requires DirectX 4 or 2 or whatever. I think it'll work.

Reidbynature
8th Aug 2013, 15:06
The laptop also bugs out when I try setting original BG2 to 3D animations. Apparently that was where the problem lay with many customers for BG:EE who had an Intel graphics card (which Beamdog did next to nothing to actually warn customers).

Also is BG:EE a new engine? I thought it was largely the same old game with some new bells and whistles on essentially. I'll admit that I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to the technical specs of the Infinity Engine, but I'm not aware of them overhauling it to the point where it could be called a new engine.

Anyway it's more or less a moot point. I have the game already on PSN. I don't see much impetus for me to get the PC version just now to be honest.

The_Hylden
8th Aug 2013, 16:17
It was just a suggestion. If you're happy with the version on PSN, great. At least you've got the game :)

Reidbynature
8th Aug 2013, 16:56
Sure. No problem, Hylden. Count D came on a bit strong there, but I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I appreciate the advice, though in Count D's case I was trying to explain that I have good reason to be wary of buying anything for my current laptop. No offense intended to anyone. :thumb:

Congrats!

Definitely one of the best entries in the series IMHO, followed by Soul Reaver they are my top on the list! I am replaying it at the moment and still cannot believe how good it is, and how well did the sequels connecting everything!

Sorry Ber. You got lost in the shuffle. I was meaning to reply to your post as well. lol

Yeah, things do seem to line up well enough. I'll always be more partial to the post SR1 LoK, but Blood Omen was a fun game for many reason (I especially loved using Kain's spells to possess Legion of the Nemesis soldiers near the end. lol). I think if LoK were to see a full retail release game in the future I would like a mash up of the SR/Defiance 3rd person play style with the open world RPG-lite nature of Blood Omen.

Count D
8th Aug 2013, 18:47
Good with that one. At least you can buy it on PSN. We out here can't :(

Reidbynature
8th Aug 2013, 19:01
That sucks to hear Count D. I didn't realise some territories were still without it on PSN.

Mr.Milky
16th Aug 2013, 20:28
Congratulations. Did you enjoy the music? :)

Reidbynature
17th Aug 2013, 13:33
I thought it was alright. It set the tone I thought. I'm not usually big on soundtracks for the most part so I can't say anything really jumped out at me. I preferred the Soul Reaver games soundtrack more.