PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite TR game? Now incl. TR9!

Driber
6th Aug 2013, 07:43
So with the latest TR game out for 5 months at this point, I assume every fan has been able to play it at least once by now, so I reckon it's time to reboot (pun intended) this poll and include TR9.

What you say, folks - have your preferences majorly changed since the latest installment in the franchise? Will we perhaps see a landslide victory for TR9 now with all the new fans we've welcomed into our club due to the reboot?

Time to find out and vote!

After you've voted in the poll, feel free to post in the thread your voting motivations. Though, to keep to conversations pleasant, please do so by focusing on the positive aspects of your favorite game, and without taking jabs at the games you possibly didn't like.

Cheers :)

-------------------------------------

Here is our first poll for the games Tomb Raider 1 to Tomb Raider Chronicles. Click to go to the archived thread.
ppjtuk_PollResultsAsOfSept92003.png (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110)

And the second, including Angel of Darkness....
http://www.catagar.com/cat/files/Poll2.jpg (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=24053)

And the third, including Legend....
http://www.catagar.com/treasure/TRPoll3.jpg (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=57874)

And the fourth, including Anniversary....
http://www.catagar.com/treasure/TR1-TRApollresults.jpg (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=68562)

And the fifth, including Underworld...
pknlzm_fav-TR-poll-screenshot-aug-6-2013.png (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=83107)

Thanks go to CatSuit&Ponytail for most of the screenshots above and for holding this series of polls up until now :thumb:

MYSTREY1712
7th Aug 2013, 11:00
I picked TR9 (Tomb Raider 2013) is because the storyline was nice graphics were awesome, loved it, i think TR 2013 is the best TR Series out of all of them :)

Metalrocks
7th Aug 2013, 12:37
underworld for me.
it had more re play value. really beautiful levels (still melt when i play thailand), nice puzzles, beautiful graphics (even when lara looks like a barbie doll) and more stuff to find.

TR 9 had a great story, really good game play and the graphics are just stunning, but i only played it twice and havent touched since then. just never feel like playing it again.

Psychomorph
7th Aug 2013, 13:47
Underworld

Underworld was in most ways the peak of the franchise, in terms of mechanics and world interaction. Most refined.

The animations, the advanced climbing, sprinting, less limiting grappling hook use, close combat (which is fantastic, because it is a simplistic and straight forward combat style), Outfits and weapons use.

Seriously, riding a motorcycle through dark ancient catacombs was one of the absolutely coolest things ever. And using it as a weapon by spinning the bike and beat down enemies was awesome. The whole motorcycle mechanics were very cool.

One thing I prefer in the original TR is the somewhat slower and more realistic pace. Granted Lara could always jump extremely high and far, but stuff like climbing was much more authentic in the original TR. The newer TR's were just a bit too fast and twitchy with this one.

Same thing why I don't like the new Splinter Cell games, the character looks like he's hyperactive, while the original SC had a more realistic pace, where climbing was an effort and took some more time and felt authentic, which for me always makes games more immersive.

So my dream would be a TR game just like Underworld, but slightly more realistic when it comes to pace and mechanics and less linear levels with more to explore and discover and more areas to reach and different paths to go, more stealth and more realistic combat (like TR2013, gun mechanics were good there).

sanriela
7th Aug 2013, 18:12
Still think The Last Revelation its the best, then Anniversary and TR 2013.

dark7angel
7th Aug 2013, 19:05
I went with Angel of Darkness! It's my favourite in terms of story and I really loved the game overall!

Then it would be TR2, my favourite Classic TR!!!

Shaikh
7th Aug 2013, 19:32
Tomb Raider 2: Starring Lara Croft

My first love and still my favorite TR. The Great Wall of China, Venice, Tibet, Floating Island, Maria Doria; those are some unforgettable moments I had.

Weemanply109
7th Aug 2013, 19:47
My choices are TR1/TRA/TRU. :o

Since it isn't multi-choice. It's going to be hard. Imma pick TRU.

I really wish we'd have public polls (meaning that we're allowed to see who voted for what option). Would be interesting to see who's picking the reboot.

Driber
7th Aug 2013, 20:28
I really wish we'd have public polls (meaning that we're allowed to see who voted for what option). Would be interesting to see who's picking the reboot.

I myself am a fan of public polls and would've made it like that, except some people are put off by the thought that their votes are there for all to see.

Anonymity ensures that we have more participants and that voters are honest with their votes :)

pidipidi39
7th Aug 2013, 20:44
Well but on this poll people is writing what they're chosing :)

I am totally undecided between TR1 and AoD.
TR1 is great, atmospheric and very original, but AoD (even if it had tons of cuts) has the best atmosphere I've ever found in a game and one of the best stories ever. And the best Lara ever :p

I'm voting later :)

Treeble
7th Aug 2013, 20:47
I too wish it was a multiple choice poll. I chose Legend. I feel it's way overhated. It is the game that made me fall in love with Lara all over again.

Would have also gone with TR1+UB, Lost Artifact (minus TR3 though), Anniversary and 2013 if it were possible. As it ain't, stuck with Legend because I know not many people will.

Driber
7th Aug 2013, 21:01
Looks like many of you are having difficulties choosing.

I can re-do the poll and make it multiple choice, if there's a big demand for it. It would be still relatively easy to do since we're early in the poll and only a few people voted so far.

Let me know :)

I've paused the poll for now.

Danielsun_
7th Aug 2013, 21:08
Eeee this is hard, because I love the Core games for what they were and although they cannot hold up by today's standards they were the games that got me interested in history and the games Tomb Raider. At the same time, the latest Tomb Raider is fantastic albeit without the unlockable costumes.

Driber can we haz two votes pl0x? :nut:

Treeble
7th Aug 2013, 21:10
I actually just checked the previous polls linked in the first post. Only the 2008 one wasn't a multiple choice poll. I'd definitely go back for multiple choice, but that's just me. ;)

Weemanply109
7th Aug 2013, 22:27
I myself am a fan of public polls and would've made it like that, except some people are put off by the thought that their votes are there for all to see.

Anonymity ensures that we have more participants and that voters are honest with their votes :)

Fair enough and understandable. ;)

Well but on this poll people is writing what they're chosing :)

Some are, but alot won't be. There's already more votes than there is posts. 9 votes for TReboot but only one poster saying it's his/her favourite. :p

Metalrocks
8th Aug 2013, 08:31
haveing multiple choice would be great.

because i wanted to vote for legend and underworld.

_Ninja_
8th Aug 2013, 08:49
I voted for TR2013 because it's the one I currently feel the strongest affection for. It may be a thing of the moment but there it is.

Driber
8th Aug 2013, 08:53
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

ATTENTION!

The poll has been reset on Thursday Aug 8 @ 10:50 AM CET due to numerous requests to make the poll multiple choice. Those who voted already before this time, please vote again.

Some are, but alot won't be. There's already more votes than there is posts. 9 votes for TReboot but only one poster saying it's his/her favourite. :p

...which proves my point about voting anonymity, heh :)

Bekim
8th Aug 2013, 09:01
TR3

My childhood lays in every singe vertex of the objects , the rooms , every word Lara said , every tome , theme.

I love it <3

Metalrocks
8th Aug 2013, 09:57
thank you :D

now i could vote for legend and underworld. since i played both games many times.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
8th Aug 2013, 10:29
Definitely these three:
-TR1
-TR2
-TR4:The Last Revelation.

I feel they nailed the exploration/puzzle solving/the feel of embarking on an adventure aspects. "Tanky" controls were a flaw back then and are a big flaw when re-discovering these games today, but if you adapt a bit, you'll discover that there's a lot to love there.

Considering Crystal's TRs, I'd say Anniversary was the best of the bunch (stupid QTEs aside).
The recent reboot... Good game, but a terrible Tomb Raider one. Too much shooting, non-existant puzzles, inconsistent tone, disappointing story and writing (they weren't good enough to make the whole game so plot-driven, I'd have appreciated the sheer effort if the story wasn't so pretentious and cliched; Core's TR didn't bother telling coherent stories, focused on gameplay first and were all the better for it).

Driber
8th Aug 2013, 10:52
Phaid, as I mentioned in the OP:

After you've voted in the poll, feel free to post in the thread your voting motivations. Though, to keep to conversations pleasant, please do so by focusing on the positive aspects of your favorite game, and without taking jabs at the games you possibly didn't like.

Taking jabs at the new game in order to praise the old games (or vice versa) is something I'd like us to avoid in this thread, and I'd like to keep the focus here on what makes your favorite game your favorite.

This thread should be about positivity. There are plenty of threads around where you can freely voice your dislikes / hates. Let's have one thread where we as fans can all come together instead of be divided and let's celebrate the entire franchise :)

Weemanply109
8th Aug 2013, 12:03
Ok. Thanks for the multi-choice. :D

pidipidi39
8th Aug 2013, 12:59
Yay! Thanks a lot Driber :D

I've voted for TR1 and AoD :)

Shaikh
8th Aug 2013, 13:24
and
Tomb Raider 6: The Angel Of Darkness

dark7angel
8th Aug 2013, 13:35
and
Tomb Raider 6: The Angel Of Darkness

Same for me! Plus TR1.
Since it's multiple choice now, I picked my Top 3! :)

Treeble
8th Aug 2013, 14:06
Thank you, Driber! Just cast in my votes for my favorite TR games. :)

Daddyhughes111
8th Aug 2013, 14:55
TR9 and Tomb raider legend were the best!

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
8th Aug 2013, 15:05
Phaid, as I mentioned in the OP:
Taking jabs at the new game in order to praise the old games (or vice versa) is something I'd like us to avoid in this thread, and I'd like to keep the focus here on what makes your favorite game your favorite.

This thread should be about positivity. There are plenty of threads around where you can freely voice your dislikes / hates. Let's have one thread where we as fans can all come together instead of be divided and let's celebrate the entire franchise :)

Ooops, sorry.
It's hard for me to properly explain what made my personal favourites so good without contrasting them with entries in the franchise that I felt didn't nail the basics of what TR was and should be. Hope that makes sense.:scratch:;)

Telekill
8th Aug 2013, 15:18
I went by generation.

PS1 - Tomb Raider 2
PS2 - TR Anniversary
PS3 - TR Reboot

The latest game is my favorite in the series though.

Shaikh
8th Aug 2013, 16:29
Guys just keep calm and vote for TR2. ;)

Same for me! Plus TR1.
Since it's multiple choice now, I picked my Top 3! :)

:thumbs up:

KspyrusTR
8th Aug 2013, 23:56
tomb raider 4 is my favourite from the classics... i voted for the reboot though because i want to support the vision of Crystal Dynamics and it's my favourite Tomb Raider made by the team

MYSTREY1712
10th Aug 2013, 07:54
underworld for me.
it had more re play value. really beautiful levels (still melt when i play thailand), nice puzzles, beautiful graphics (even when lara looks like a barbie doll) and more stuff to find.

TR 9 had a great story, really good game play and the graphics are just stunning, but i only played it twice and havent touched since then. just never feel like playing it again.

Yeah, i just loved TR9 but the bad thing was they could have made a another place, first place of cause Dragon Triangle, etc, etc
Yeah i loved TRU, it has beautiful graphics also, the game runs perfect, without FSAA on, anyways what does FSAA stands for??? I tried searching it on google but no suggestion came up! Instead it made be confused!
Thailand place was soo realistic, the graphics, i just feel like playing it right now, but i think TRU & TR9 is my favorite, but i voted TR9 which i like :lol:
Now i really need to play TRU, if i get a chance to record a video, to see how nice the game play, i record a quick video and upload it, hopefully i post the video here!

Metalrocks
10th Aug 2013, 13:03
Yeah, i just loved TR9 but the bad thing was they could have made a another place, first place of cause Dragon Triangle, etc, etc
Yeah i loved TRU, it has beautiful graphics also, the game runs perfect, without FSAA on, anyways what does FSAA stands for??? I tried searching it on google but no suggestion came up! Instead it made be confused!
Thailand place was soo realistic, the graphics, i just feel like playing it right now, but i think TRU & TR9 is my favorite, but i voted TR9 which i like :lol:
Now i really need to play TRU, if i get a chance to record a video, to see how nice the game play, i record a quick video and upload it, hopefully i post the video here!

here is your answer what fsaa is;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FSAA#Super_sampling_.2F_full-scene_anti-aliasing

namitokiwa
13th Aug 2013, 02:42
I choose the reboot because it has been improving almost everything right, it just missed some quality of puzzles and that's it. The next will rock me again.

IvanaKC
13th Aug 2013, 09:41
I revoted, too and it actually made me think about the quality of all games. Although I love the new game, I voted for Legend again. It was simply that great for me, and it still is. :cool:

Rai
13th Aug 2013, 16:17
I voted one game from the Core era and one from Crystal era. TR:Last Revelation is, for me, an accumulation of the first three games, bringing together everything that was was done well into one game. TR '13 is an improvement on everything Crystal brought to Tomb Raider in their first 3 games. Neither games are prefect, but I want to keep this positive.

a_big_house
14th Aug 2013, 15:46
I picked AoD & the LAU tril

Gemma_Darkmoon_
19th Aug 2013, 13:05
The poll has been reset on Thursday Aug 8 @ 10:50 AM CET due to numerous requests to make the poll multiple choice.

When you put multiple choice in on this kind of poll it biases heavily towards the newest games as some people will just tick all the ones they have played.

My favourite of all the games is still as ever TR2 as it has best level design and atmosphere.

Driber
19th Aug 2013, 13:24
When you put multiple choice in on this kind of poll it biases heavily towards the newest games as some people will just tick all the ones they have played.

My favourite of all the games is still as ever TR2 as it has best level design and atmosphere.

Actually, it seems to be the other way around. When I first opened this new poll, TR9 was heavily favorited and the other games got just a few votes. When I reset it and made it multiple choice, the results were more spread and older games were chosen next to the latest game as well.

But of course TR9 is the freshest in people's memory, so a level of bias is to be expected.

If you look at the screenshots in the OP, you'll see that whatever the latest game was at the time when a new poll opened, that game was favorite among many/most people.

Sophiafan
19th Aug 2013, 16:15
I grew up with the first 4 so I choose them as they will always have that nostalgia to them. I really like Lara's carefree/reckless attitude in them rather than trying to add emotional meaning and the early games were more chalenging.

TR 2013 is the best TR game in recent years and thought the action and suprises in the eary bits of the game were great. The open world was good but I would like to see more areas I can get lost in. The original Palace Midas took me so long to find my way round and it made it memorable.

pirate1802
21st Aug 2013, 12:35
TR 2013 because Lara is finally a human I can relate with. And the location was very original and not something done a million times in popular culture. The story and pacing kept me to the edge of my seat always eager to see what happens next without thinking of putting the controller down. Just put in more and/or numerous puzzles in the next one and it would be uber awesome.

Scully
6th Sep 2013, 00:05
Tomb Raider II

I realize it was multiple choice but this is probably my favourite.
I don't know why it's my favourite. I guess for one thing, it just has some of the best levels and scenery.

larafan25
6th Sep 2013, 01:25
Tomb Raider II

I realize it was multiple choice but this is probably my favourite.
I don't know why it's my favourite. I guess for one thing, it just has some of the best levels and scenery.

oh ha

a

TR2 that game.

I like it too...:whistle:

I think I'd have to choose between TR1, 2, and... I guess TR9... but maybe Legend? IDK. I can never decide.

Scully
7th Sep 2013, 00:34
oh ha

a

TR2 that game.

I like it too...:whistle:

I think I'd have to choose between TR1, 2, and... I guess TR9... but maybe Legend? IDK. I can never decide.

Well that's the thing, they are good for their own reasons. That's usually what good sequels are like.

ActionHero
7th Sep 2013, 01:47
I'll own it: my favorite is the reboot. Simply put, I have a huge huge huge love for shipwreck/plane crash survivalist narratives in general.

Wh1t3Kn1te
7th Sep 2013, 02:17
in order of enjoyment for me

legend
underworld
Tomb raider II

the rest were kind of meh, with AOD being the worst one. again just my opinion.

Scully
7th Sep 2013, 18:23
in order of enjoyment for me

legend
underworld
Tomb raider II

the rest were kind of meh, with AOD being the worst one. again just my opinion.

I think that's interesting. What did you think of TR1? It's pretty similar to TR2.

RybatGrimes
11th Sep 2013, 22:10
TRI, TRII, TRAOD, TRU, & Reboot! :D

although my overall favorite would be AOD.

Wh1t3Kn1te
12th Sep 2013, 00:54
I think that's interesting. What did you think of TR1? It's pretty similar to TR2.

TR1 was really fun, but they expanded on everything in II that is what kept me playing it months longer than 1

BridgetFisher
14th Sep 2013, 12:46
I really liked Tomb raider anniversary on PC, most of the others dont work on pc, well the controller doesnt so I didnt waste money on the others. But I really did like the exploration the visuals, id sit and have lunch just looking at them. Id really like to see that maze like puzzle of tombs make a comeback. The devs in this game made like a linear game which is cool but like it all sorta looked the same even the color pallets were bleh, everything looked the same nothing stood out. The bold bright colors and contrasts in Tomb Raider anniversary made the game feel alive, did they fire the person who did the color palates for that cuz TR2013 had terrible color design, they need to get rid of that person or send them to whatever mystic cave in tibet the original guy is in and have them learn from this wise guru to get them skills to pay the bills.

To sell any game if its visually unappealing noone wants it.

Findus
14th Sep 2013, 15:47
TR 3.
It was the first game I played and the one that made me fall in love with the series, so I guess nostalgia plays a role in my decision.
But even today after having played it multiple times, I still like it best for it's atmosphere, the level of difficulty and the variety of environments.

cutoutgalaxies
17th Sep 2013, 15:33
My favourite used to be Anniversary, but the reboot just keeps me coming back and I love it the most now!

ukduklruzhuang
5th Oct 2013, 17:10
Still think The Last Revelation its the best, http://digitalso.com/hu10i.jpg

mikoza
12th Oct 2013, 20:14
Second that...TLR is all time classic and, for god's sake, make remake!

MikeHawthorne
24th Oct 2013, 05:37
Hi

I loved The Last Revelation, but it's had to pick just one.

I'm surprised that so many people liked Angle of Darkness, I never had a computer even years after is came out that it would run smoothly on.

I really liked the graphics on it but it was really glitchy.

Maybe I'll dig it out and try it on my latest computer, if it won't run smooth on that it won't run smooth on anything.

I like the new Tomb Raider but I would rather have the old gameplay with the new graphics.

I hate the button mashing it really takes me out of the game.

I still love the first Tomb Raider game, I started playing it the week it came out.
And I've played it many times since, every way that you can, no health kits only pistols, no save except at the end of chapters etc.

I miss the old ones, I guess I'll play Legend again.

These games really look fantastic in nVidia 3D vision on a 27" 144 Hz monitor, I gives me a reason to play them all again.

Mike

dark7angel
24th Oct 2013, 08:54
Hi

I'm surprised that so many people liked Angle of Darkness, I never had a computer even years after is came out that it would run smoothly on.

Maybe I'll dig it out and try it on my latest computer, if it won't run smooth on that it won't run smooth on anything.

I like the new Tomb Raider but I would rather have the old gameplay with the new graphics.

I still love the first Tomb Raider game, I started playing it the week it came out.
And I've played it many times since, every way that you can, no health kits only pistols, no save except at the end of chapters etc.

These games really look fantastic in nVidia 3D vision on a 27" 144 Hz monitor, I gives me a reason to play them all again.

Mike

The best way to play Angel of Darkness is on the PS2! ;)

Metalrocks
24th Oct 2013, 09:28
Hi

Mike

yes, AOD is a mess on pc. glitchy as hell, bugs everywhere and terrible controls. i coulndt finish it. thats why it ended up on my top 5 hated games.

Tsuki Hoshi
24th Oct 2013, 09:51
I voted! :D
before Legend came out, my absolut favourite was AoD (I know...) but then, Legend arrived and I was so hyped!!
New Lara, new moves, everything seemed so real *w* ♥
so yes, Legend is my favourite now :p

Driber
24th Oct 2013, 12:16
yes, AOD is a mess on pc. glitchy as hell, bugs everywhere and terrible controls. i coulndt finish it. thats why it ended up on my top 5 hated games.

As Marta said, best way to play AOD is on playstation. You might've liked it; it was one of the best stories in the entire series. And TR9 is very similar to AOD in some ways :)

Tsuki Hoshi
24th Oct 2013, 16:24
I liked so much even Lara's darker look and the soft spookiness of the story :p
TR9 as well. Even if I'm not into horror-ish things.
But unfortunately, I am one of the poor souls who play on PC ;)

donnabright
10th Nov 2013, 15:39
AOD: Controls were weird, but other than that, Aod was very fun to play and I loved the story line. Game length, was decent to.

Legend: Another one of my favorites. I love the acrobats, riding motorcycles, time trials, and finding Artifacts, and solving puzzles.

Anniversary: Loved the graphics, fun to play, solving puzzles, time trials.

TRU: I loved the graphics, very fun to play, loved the acrobats, and solving the puzzles.

NikNak513
20th Nov 2013, 00:46
TR9 was a breath of fresh air. But TR3 & TR4 will always hold a special place in my heart.

SineadCroft
17th Dec 2013, 02:01
TR3, as it was the first Tomb Raider I ever played, and it introduced me to gaming in general. Plus, I loved the locations, puzzle/traps difficulty and Lara herself. Plus I still pick it up today and play through it. Not to mention, Lara's Home in that game was the best in the series IMO. It's crazy fun.
I'm not a really a fan of multiple choice polls, so I didn't choose another, but if I had to pick a second favourite it would have to be TR1. I loved the atmosphere in that game. The Atlantan Mutnants sill scare the crap out of me :p

Pythia
10th Jan 2014, 16:49
Tr1 and Tr9 are my favs.

And yes, I have played them all.

AOD was absolute crap IMO, and by far my least fav. Kurtis was annoying as hell to have to play with, and I hated him with every ounce of my gamming soul.

BTW... I think this poll is flawed because not eveyone voting has played every game, so of coarse TR9 will win every time. I think it should be limited to the members that have played every game.

Driber
10th Jan 2014, 17:41
AOD was absolute crap IMO

I don't think so. The story and atmos was really good.

BTW... I think this poll is flawed because not eveyone voting has played every game, so of coarse TR9 will win every time.

These polls will always be biased towards the latest game. Before TR9, TRU got the most votes. Before TRU, TRA got the most votes, etc.

I think it should be limited to the members that have played every game.

How on earth would we do that?

dark7angel
10th Jan 2014, 19:31

I would even say it was the best story from any TR game! :thumb:

Metalrocks
11th Jan 2014, 12:27
i bet the story is good. i had really interest to see where it leads. but well....you know why i dint keep playing it.

Driber
11th Jan 2014, 13:25
Yes we do, so your post was completely unnecessary :p

pidipidi39
11th Jan 2014, 13:39
Exactly. The released version of AoD may have not even been 20% of what the original idea of the game was, but damn, it's the most atmospheric TR without any doubt Imo :)

Metalrocks
11th Jan 2014, 13:51
Yes we do, so your post was completely unnecessary :p

maybe so but it was also referring to an earlier post i must have missed from you. since you said i should have played it on the PS2.

Driber
11th Jan 2014, 14:07
maybe so but it was also referring to an earlier post i must have missed from you. since you said i should have played it on the PS2.

lmao, say what now?

You missed a post by me, yet you are referring to the missed post?

What are you smoking, dude? :lol:

Metalrocks
11th Jan 2014, 14:12
lmao, say what now?

You missed a post by me, yet you are referring to the missed post?

What are you smoking, dude? :lol:

i wish i would be smoking something :p then i would not miss it earlier :nut:

Woogiemush
26th Jan 2014, 18:50
For me, it would have to be Legend, since I was so young I had discovered this beautiful adventurer on a PS2 demo disc that offered a variety of games, which included Legend... I know that game from top to bottom, every nook and cranny, every collectible.

This will always be my favourite Tomb Raider game, it has so many memories for me inside a small, little disc.

Noelemahc
28th Jan 2014, 20:42
Wait, there's no option for freaks like me who prefer Guardian of Light? Or it doesn't count as it's not a "real" Tomb Raider game?
(granted, it doesn't even have "Tomb Raider" in the title)

Woogiemush
30th Jan 2014, 03:35
Wait, there's no option for freaks like me who prefer Guardian of Light? Or it doesn't count as it's not a "real" Tomb Raider game?

You're not a freak! :lol:

I am guessing it wasn't included because it's not in the Tomb Raider set of games, it's a whole separate IP. So, no, it's not really considered a Tomb Raider game, just a Lara Croft game.

AdobeArtist
30th Jan 2014, 03:37

Take pride in being a freak. That's where it's at :cool: :D

Woogiemush
30th Jan 2014, 21:39
Take pride in being a freak. That's where it's at :cool: :D

I totally agree with you, I love being a freak. It's what seperates us from everyone else, and put's away the word "normal". :)

Sarah_K
5th Feb 2014, 21:02
My favourite Tomb Raider game is definitely the newest one. Yet I must admit I haven't played many of the others, only Underworld, Ledgend and TR2.
But I loved the new direction they were going with the reboot. :)

Question: Why can't I vote in this poll? Is it because I am new registered or something?

Murphdawg1
6th Feb 2014, 00:11
My favourite Tomb Raider game is definitely the newest one. Yet I must admit I haven't played many of the others, only Underworld, Ledgend and TR2.
But I loved the new direction they were going with the reboot. :)

Question: Why can't I vote in this poll? Is it because I am new registered or something?

That and you don't have enough posts.

Felicity
12th Feb 2014, 22:17
Tomb Raider 2013 is awesome, i love it! Best Tomb Raider in my opinion! :)

J.Maverick
18th Feb 2014, 20:40
TR2013 for me, by quite a margin.

In the last year it's climbed up their with my all time favorite games, beyond the series.

Lycantendencies
2nd Jun 2014, 15:23
1 and 9.
The atmosphere, music and the sense of isolation in the original remains as strong now as it was then, and imo, has still not been beat.

9 took the massive improvements that Legend, Anni and Underworld gave us in terms of Lara's development as a character, story in general, and music, refined it and wrapped it up an an amazing package that imo, made the new beginning everything for the modern era the original was for it's time, a great introduction to an interesting character.

Scion's_Eye
15th Jun 2014, 04:47
TR4, AoD, and Legend.

TR4 - for the length and classiness, plus I've always had a massive crush on anything Egypt-related so out of the classics, I'd always go for this one. Plus the cinematic scenes were amazing.

AoD - breathtaking story. God awful controls, and I didn't like playing as Kurtis, but the story, the fresh take on TR that worked brilliantly beats many games out of the park.

Legend - ledges, new controls, even the side characters were all fresh but worked so so well in the game. I loved the outfit changing and collectible trophies and the return of time trials in this one.

d1n0_xD
15th Jun 2014, 07:56
I voted for Legend and 2013, Legend will always have a special place in my heart, it was the first TR game I played and it was a really good game, and no words needed for the last one, absolutely amazing, can't wait for the next one ^^

Driber
15th Jun 2014, 09:59
Legend - ledges, new controls, even the side characters were all fresh but worked so so well in the game. I loved the outfit changing and collectible trophies and the return of time trials in this one.

By "return" are you referring to the second level of TR4? :scratch:

Lukass
15th Jun 2014, 10:20
Tomb Raider 3. It's TR at its best!

Scion's_Eye
15th Jun 2014, 16:09
By "return" are you referring to the second level of TR4? :scratch:

Well that was a derp on my behalf. I realize they were never in the other series but people competed for time on TR2 with the in-game timer.

Elliot Kane
22nd Jun 2014, 16:25
I went for 1, Last Revelation, Legend & Underworld. For many and varied reasons.

TR1 was the second game I ever played, and it blew me away. I had no idea what I was doing, but it was great. I'd got it because it was the only game in the shop I'd actually heard of. If I hadn't loved it, I'm not sure I'd be a gamer today. So I have many fond memories of TR1.

Last Revelation is, for me, the best game on the old engine. I love everything about it, from the setting to the sheer scale to the enemies, who can be very challenging.

Legend is the easiest TR game to just pick up & play. It's very good, but the replayability and the many different challenge options make it a huge favourite. Time trials are frustrating, but fun.

Underworld I love for the epicness, and also because it has some great levels and the best PC control system. Some of the challenges are hard without being impossible, which is the way I like them. Lara also has more gymnastics moves than in any other game.

TR2 I didn't vote for, but is bubbling under, if you will. Mainly because of Venice and the boat puzzle, which is awesome.

WinterSoldierLTE
22nd Jul 2014, 23:09
'Legend', hands down. I've said it several times, but I just LOVE that story. Add in the fantastic soundtrack, great gameplay, brilliant sound design, and it's a total package for me. But, it's also the first TR game I played, so I also give it "the nostalgic edge".
But with that being said, it's the one game from all of them that I've played over 17 times now, and it STILL isn't old for me.

Story time...
I travel for work. I am an electrician that basically goes all over big bold beautiful America and wires this, fixes that, and whatnot. Not all of the gigs pay well enough to cover hotels, so I occasionally room with a co-worker. I always take a game console w/ me to pass time and stay away from reality television after work. When I brought my PS2 with me, a co-worker I was rooming with was kind enough to let me use the tv a couple hours every night to game (Ya gotta compromise. Road wives are wives to). Anyways, long story short, he was a "She's just a sex icon" type thinker when I fired it up, but by Ghana, he was a believer. From his "How did you KNOW that?!" when I found the gold in Japan, to his reaction to the ending(something like "please tell me you kill that b***h Amanda later"), he was on board. It's one of those works of art that even the most jaded of fans of this medium have to respect. And this medium IS an art form.

TR2012? It's fantastic, a work of art, and I can't compliment it enough, but how well will it age? That remains to be seen. So far I've only played it 3 times, but I've others on my "to play" list that I'm trying to pay attention to ('The Last Of Us', I'll be there someday. I promise!).

Chameleojack
8th Aug 2014, 09:50
Im a new member, how soon can I make my own poll? Where on thevscreen is it? I'm viewing a desktop v ersion of this site on a Samsung Galaxy 5? Thanks.

a_big_house
8th Aug 2014, 10:56
Im a new member, how soon can I make my own poll? Where on thevscreen is it? I'm viewing a desktop v ersion of this site on a Samsung Galaxy 5? Thanks.

Here:

Gamer

30 posts and 14 days of membership makes you a Gamer.

Your PM box can now hold 100 messages, you can vote in polls and create your own, and you can use smilies and text formatting BB code in your signature.

Chameleojack
8th Aug 2014, 11:46
I [would] vote Tomb Raider 2013 the best T to date...but I'm still new :)

Driber
8th Aug 2014, 16:03
You're already half-way of the required post count.
Keep it up and in just 2 weeks your account will auto upgrade and then you can vote :)

slipwagon
13th Aug 2014, 03:27
I'm going with TR Underworld. TR 2013 was great but more focus was placed on on gunplay than exploring tombs

Davido1704
16th Aug 2014, 12:44
Okay, so despite the game threatening bugs, there are some really cool ones like God of Thunder: Falling Under the Mediterranean Sea (where the water from the massive boat disappears). It has fabulous graphics, and who doesn't love Lara's wetsuit? TR9 doesn't really have any Tomb Raiding, Anniversary and 1 were maybe a little to hard and AOD was super glitchy. It has a powerful (and emotional) ending and I just love it to squillions and millions of pieces!

3rd Oct 2014, 13:16
How can people like this new tomb raider? There's no tomb raiding its just a copy and paste generic shooter!! :mad2::mad2:

Metalrocks
3rd Oct 2014, 14:37
How can people like this new tomb raider? There's no tomb raiding its just a copy and paste generic shooter!! :mad2::mad2:

its a origin story. lara needs a reason to find her passion for it the real raiding will follow. ;)

Jurre
3rd Oct 2014, 14:48

I know it's hard to believe, but not everybody has the same opinion and tastes like you.

It's crazy right? :whistle:

6th Oct 2014, 19:31
Opinions got nothing to do with it, thats like saying in my opinion the earth is flat or madden is the best basketball game ever but a matter of fact it isn't. How is the best Tomb Raider game not even about tomb raiding?

Jurre
6th Oct 2014, 21:40
Whether people like or dislike the game has absolutely zero connection to the title...

Not about Tomb Raiding - false claim. When taking the definition of a tomb as an underground place that contains an old corpse, TR9 has effectively more tombs than any TR game before, since old skeletons are all over the place. Pretty much every hole in the ground fits that definition. And unless the player is too lazy to look for collectables, Lara drags a lot of loot out of them.

And that the Earth would be flat is not so much an opinion but a factual error. Even Columbus knew that...

Oh, and something else: you might want to play a game like Modern Warfare 3 or Ghosts to see what an actual generic shooter looks like...

Metalrocks
7th Oct 2014, 09:47
what jurre said.
there is plenty to explore and to collect. there are plenty of temples, ruins, etc. the island was just one big tomb with secrets. if you mean these small tombs, yes, they are not enough of them but as said, still lots of areas to explore. to reach 100% it took me over 15 hours. when i skipped them all it finished the game in less then 8 hours. and this surely gave the impression its a heavy action driven game with no exploring.

Driber
7th Oct 2014, 11:18

Opinions got nothing to do with it, thats like saying in my opinion the earth is flat or madden is the best basketball game ever but a matter of fact it isn't. How is the best Tomb Raider game not even about tomb raiding?

How can anyone not like the new game? It's the best TR game in TR history. That's like, universal fact, man. Just look at the poll results - those are pure facts, and you can't argue with facts!

And since the poll undeniably proves that TR9 is the best game of the series, and since it's nothing but a copy and paste generic shooter, as you factually pointed out, then logic dictates that TR was always meant to be a generic shooter. So there is no problem!

And that's not my personal opinion, so don't even try to argue with me. I'm factually correct.

Metalrocks
7th Oct 2014, 14:07
i dont think he will accept this. he still thinks these who voted for TR are crazy. even when you are factually correct.
even me and jurre were factually correct as well and he ignored it more or less.

8th Oct 2014, 07:18
My point was basically, can ace combat ever be the best Tomb raider game? The answer is obvious.
So Metalrocks say that even though its mostly a shooter, the side tomb mission justify title.

And that's not my personal opinion, so don't even try to argue with me. I'm factually correct.I have no desire to say anything to you because your just rude for no reason.

Metalrocks
8th Oct 2014, 07:54
let me ask you this icedog: did you reach 100%?

IvanaKC
8th Oct 2014, 10:50
I have no desire to say anything to you because you're just rude for no reason.

No one is trying to be rude to you, but it's not us who are getting angry. Driber just tried to answer you the way you answer to everyone else.

As for TR being a good/bad game, you should try and learn the definition of opinion and fact. If you are not capable of recognizing what is subjective and what is objective, then you have a serious problem which will always lead you to arguments where people will really start being rude to you.

Driber
8th Oct 2014, 10:52
i dont think he will accept this. he still thinks these who voted for TR are crazy. even when you are factually correct.
even me and jurre were factually correct as well and he ignored it more or less.

Rowan, I have to check just to be sure - you did know that my post was entirely sarcastic, right? :)

My point was basically, can ace combat ever be the best Tomb raider game? The answer is obvious.

I don't think it's really "obvious". I think the answer is a lot more nuanced than that.

First of all, "the best TR game" actually has everything to do with opinion, and much less with fact. When it comes to taste, facts play a secondary role.

To use Jurre's example of flat earthers - they may be factually wrong by denying that the earth is spherical, but they can't be factually wrong for preferring a flat earth over a spherical one ;)

The same principle applies for liking a game, and making assertions about what makes a "true" or "best" TR game. You would be factually correct in saying that TR9 had not so much focus on "raiding tombs" (I use scare quotes, because as Jurre pointed out, what qualifies as a tomb is debatable. Though for argument's sake, let's go with the classic tomb raiding experience that the franchise is known for...) and had more focus on combat elements, BUT you can't really make claims of 'universal facts' by labelling the game as the worst one in the series, because at the end of the day opinions are all subjective.

That said, something that should probably be pointed out right now, once again, is that these polls are historically biased towards the latest game. Take a look at the OP; I collected screenshots of all previous incarnations of this poll, and you'll find that the majority tends to vote for the game that they just played. Which of course only makes sense :)

I'm sure that once we're at TR11, this poll will no longer 'declare TR9 as the best game in the series', heh.

So Metalrocks say that even though its mostly a shooter, the side tomb mission justify title.

I wouldn't necessarily look at it like that. The thing is that TR9 is an origin story, as Metal pointed out earlier, so therefore it kind of makes sense that Lara's first adventure isn't heavily focused on tombs yet. After all, on Yamatai she wasn't a tomb raider just yet ;)

In the next game we'll see how Lara transforms from a survivor to a tomb raider.

I have no desire to say anything to you because your just rude for no reason.

I'm sorry that my post caused offence. I don't think it was as bad as you seem to have perceived it. If it makes any difference, I'll just say that my first response to you was jokingly sarcastic, but I didn't mean any harm, and certainly wasn't trying to be rude to you. I was just pointing out the absurdity (and from the looks of it, I wasn't the only one who thought so) of what you were saying, and mirroring your attitude on the subject, in a humorous way to try to make you see how your posts come across to some of us :)

let me ask you this icedog: did you reach 100%?

Good question...

Metalrocks
8th Oct 2014, 12:49
@driber
the first half was a sarcasm but the second half sounded more serious.

Driber
9th Oct 2014, 09:42
Huh? Are you talking about my post or yours? When you say "sounded" you're implying that you're not sure... :scratch:

Metalrocks
9th Oct 2014, 10:17
Huh? Are you talking about my post or yours? When you say "sounded" you're implying that you're not sure... :scratch:

im talking about yours of course.
if you put it that way: yes, you can say i was not sure.

Driber
9th Oct 2014, 10:39
Ah, okay, gotcha!

Heh, no, the *entire* post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2038684&postcount=101) was satire; nothing in it was meant to be taken seriously as my actual stance on the matter. The poll proves nothing about TR9 being the 'best game in TR history', nor are any of us 'factually correct' about our opinions on the game.

:)

Metalrocks
9th Oct 2014, 13:52
Ah, okay, gotcha!

Heh, no, the *entire* post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=2038684&postcount=101) was satire; nothing in it was meant to be taken seriously as my actual stance on the matter. The poll proves nothing about TR9 being the 'best game in TR history', nor are any of us 'factually correct' about our opinions on the game.

:)

:thumb: :)

pirate1802
10th Oct 2014, 08:09

You'd be absolutely right, if not for the fact that those two examples you listed can be factually checked. TR9 being or not being about Tomb Raiding is pretty much upto interpretation. There were those side tombs, were there not? And a few tombs (Himiko's tomb, General's tomb) that she raided in the main story. There, you have your tomb raiding! That those minuscule tombs might or might not be enough to justify the title is a different question and where your own preference comes into play, and you reach a different conclusion than mine. As for the game being 'mostly' shooter, I'd just close my eyes and pretend all those parkour sequences didn't exist. That or Battlefield 4 was full of parkour too! No idea why people compare it to a shooter while I'd place it nearer to a game like assassins creed with a mix of combat and parkour.

I'm sorry if I sound a little abrasive but I see too many Opinion Polices roaming about on online forums these days who don't even know the basic difference between what constitutes an opinion and what constitutes a fact, and then they go about telling others that their sacred-held opinion is the immutable fact.

Driber
10th Oct 2014, 10:57
@Pirate: I'd argue that only one of Icedog's examples can be factually checked; the earth being flat or not. The other one (madden being the best basketball game ever or not) is open to interpretation as well. Just like some people view AoD as the worst TR game in the series while others view it as the best one in the series.

TSUSMC9
12th Oct 2014, 03:43
Tomb Raider 9

I played TR as a child but I didn't take much from it. I played LAU as I was older and I loved it but I didn't find myself as invested as I am with the Reboot. Don't get me wrong, I love the series and obviously the old games are what sparked my interest/obsession. But, I've grown "attached" to the Reboot because Lara is more human & real to me. We get to experience the making of who she is & take the journey with her instead of throwing us into things with light back story.

GaeaAlexandra
14th Oct 2014, 02:09
It says I can not vote on this poll?

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Oct 2014, 02:31
It says I can not vote on this poll?

You have to have a "Gamer" user status to vote in polls. To get one requires 30 (I think) forum posts or 20 days as a member.

Metalrocks
14th Oct 2014, 02:52
yep, pretty much that. here a link about the status:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/faq.php#faq_usergr

yamatai_veteran
14th Oct 2014, 13:08
Went for the classics as I love the new games BUT the classics were head and shoulders above the rest of games out there back then.

NikNak513
16th Oct 2014, 22:24
TR3

AlexWeiss
19th Oct 2014, 01:55
For me it's TR9

SavannahCroft
26th Oct 2014, 11:25
Possibly Tomb Raider 2013, Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Anniversary. ^_^

HHereIsItNormalV
31st Oct 2014, 23:26
i can't vote but i will say TR2 assuredly. I knew Lara with this game, the music is still in my head and Venice too !

xWeasel
6th Nov 2014, 08:49
TR9!

Lara_Fan_84
7th Nov 2014, 00:21
I haven't completed all the games just the original TR, Angel of Darkness, Anniversary, Legend, Underworld and of course TR9 but from what I've played I think TR9 is my favorite. I like the story a lot, the characters, the newly updated Lara, her voice and I must say even the graphics. I grew up in the 80's so I am accustomed to the older graphics and appreciate them but I can't help but love the graphics in TR9 too.

lmizell757
3rd Dec 2014, 12:11
Totally agree

a_big_house
3rd Dec 2014, 12:59
So... After Rise comes out and we do the next version of this thread, can we add the LC games in too? :D

JohnRaider
11th Dec 2014, 22:22
Not sure why these polls close so soon. Wish it was still open for a more accurate statistic. Anyway, my vote would probably go for Tomb Raider I and II. Also, Tomb Raider 2013 was pretty good. I enjoyed Anniversary as well. Maybe I'll throw Legend in there too. :)

a_big_house
11th Dec 2014, 22:24
^ The poll is still open, you just have to reach a certain member status to vote :)

JohnRaider
11th Dec 2014, 23:00
^ The poll is still open, you just have to reach a certain member status to vote :)

Yeah well I should be eligible given that my eidosforum account "jack_Raider" was created in 2003. However, no one here at square enix forums seems to want to help me merge that account with this current one.

Driber
11th Dec 2014, 23:14
Yeah well I should be eligible given that my eidosforum account "jack_Raider" was created in 2003. However, no one here at square enix forums seems to want to help me merge that account with this current one.

You created your SEF account mere hours ago, spam our channels, and you're accusing us of being unwilling to help you? Wow.

JohnRaider
11th Dec 2014, 23:29
Driber!! Hey man I've been trying to get a hold of you all day. I'm still trying to get the hang of the square enix forums!

Driber
11th Dec 2014, 23:35
Yeah I saw your emails, both on the admin address AND my personal address :p

Be patient. We'll get you sorted out eventually ;)

JohnRaider
11th Dec 2014, 23:39
http://mikesaturday.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/patience-is-a-virtue.jpg

Thanks Driber! Sorry for the spamming and impatience..I've been excited about the merge for a while! Happy holidays! And staying on topic, Driber, What is your favorite TR and least favorite?

ps... ur website hasn't changed since I was like 12 (i'm 26 now)...you still have your Bryce 3d art...nostalgia. ahaha...I emailed you years and years ago about website design tips.

AlineShenon
18th Dec 2014, 13:51
TR3 Gold: The Lost Artifact :)

...and TR1, TR2, TR3... I love all Tomb Raider games!)))

Driber
18th Dec 2014, 14:12
http://mikesaturday.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/patience-is-a-virtue.jpg

Thanks Driber! Sorry for the spamming and impatience..I've been excited about the merge for a while! Happy holidays! And staying on topic, Driber, What is your favorite TR and least favorite?

ps... ur website hasn't changed since I was like 12 (i'm 26 now)...you still have your Bryce 3d art...nostalgia. ahaha...I emailed you years and years ago about website design tips.

I voted TR1 as my fav, because of the the fantastic atmos the game had, and the great memories I have about that game. My least favorite I think would be TRC and TRU.

Ha, yeah, I haven't done anything on my old homepage in ages. Not planning to, either. It's basically just there as an archive of the stuff I used to be into when I was younger :)

IvanaKC
18th Dec 2014, 18:14
I voted TR1 as my fav, because of the the fantastic atmos the game had, and the great memories I have about that game. My least favorite I think would be TRC and TRU.

Ha, yeah, I haven't done anything on my old homepage in ages. Not planning to, either. It's basically just there as an archive of the stuff I used to be into when I was younger :)

Driber is actually aging? No way! :eek:

Driber
18th Dec 2014, 23:27
IKR? Crazy!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/cc/ccca0841fe03974bd5e6814ffaedbde4ae3bcbc34d17abb7fc25f3f3934cb3c3.jpg

IvanaKC
19th Dec 2014, 00:49
IKR? Crazy!

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/cc/ccca0841fe03974bd5e6814ffaedbde4ae3bcbc34d17abb7fc25f3f3934cb3c3.jpg

Back when you were my age, my people were so poor that we had to text with 'numbers'. :lol:
Seriously though, I still do not own a smartphone so I'm texting with 1.,?!, 2abc, 3def and so on. I remember that back in 1999 there were not even invented touchscreens with qwerty, it was a miracle if someone even had Internet. :p

It's a lot of 'off-topicing', I know, I know...

Tecstar70
19th Dec 2014, 08:54
Back when you were my age, my people were so poor that we had to text with 'numbers'. :lol:
Seriously though, I still do not own a smartphone so I'm texting with 1.,?!, 2abc, 3def and so on. I remember that back in 1999 there were not even invented touchscreens with qwerty, it was a miracle if someone even had Internet. :p

It's a lot of 'off-topicing', I know, I know...

Your not old unless you have dialled up the internet via a 56k modem and know what that sounds like!

IvanaKC
19th Dec 2014, 19:15
Your not old unless you have dialled up the internet via a 56k modem and know what that sounds like!

Sounds like someone is tearing the wires apart :lol:
I'm not old, but yeah, I DID have that and I know the feeling when your mum picks up a phone and your slow internet connection disappears and you have to reload a page for ages!

Driber
19th Dec 2014, 23:05
You kids and your fancy cellphone and modem talk. Back in my days phones had rotary discs :D

IvanaKC
19th Dec 2014, 23:49
You kids and your fancy cellphone and modem talk. Back in my days phones had rotary discs :D

:lol:

Don't worry, everyone loves vintage stuff today and knows what that is. Some phone boots actually had them for a very long time. :scratch:

Tecstar70
20th Dec 2014, 07:49

But did your parents ever have one of those little padlocks on the dial to stop you making phone calls? "Dad, please can I use the phone...."

Driber
23rd Dec 2014, 21:16
@Ivana: phone boots?

:D

But did your parents ever have one of those little padlocks on the dial to stop you making phone calls? "Dad, please can I use the phone...."

Wow, that was a thing? :eek:

Daveyismoi
4th Jan 2015, 17:47
Tomb Raider II because I used to play it alot on PC as a kid.

Can't play TR 2013 now due to the stupid RoTR move, doesn't make me want to play the reboot series anymore.

tombraiderofficial
17th Jan 2015, 09:58
Mm... Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation for two reasons: 1) Because it was my 1st game of the series, and now I still love it like the first time - 2) It has built in me the passion for the Ancient Egypt.
I remember I was so excited to play Legend... Actually, it's my favourite CrystalD games.
Regarding TR Definitive Editon, I really appreciate it: it was AWESOME! Can't wait to play Rise of the TR on my XONE :thumb:

LadyLC
27th Jan 2015, 12:11
TR3 Gold: The Lost Artifact :)

...and TR1, TR2, TR3... I love all Tomb Raider games!)))

I love every single Tomb Raider/Lara Croft game that has come out as well :D

The Last Revelation, however, still stands out as my first truly 'WOW' game. So huge, set in Egypt, it was true tomb raiding for me.

My least favourite has always been TR2. I didn't like the actress's voice, didn't like the enemy combat, and apart from Barkhang Monastery, nothing about it really gripped me.

Back in my days phones had rotary discs :D

Continuing with the Grumpy Old Off-Topic talk, I remember all of those things. I also remember learning to touch type at high school on a manual TYPEWRITER. Not keyboarding, actual typing. If you wanted copies, Xerox machines were still exclusive to bigger corporations so you had to use carbon paper or mimeograph. Ahhhh, the many toxic chemical smells I remember back then with a certain fondness! First time I used a computer I nearly bashed the keys to oblivion, my fingers so used to using all their strength to fully engage each key on the old typewriter because if you didn't strike each one fully, the characters would come out very faint, if at all.

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 16:51
underworld for me.

Thanks for sharing your favorite being AOD, never got around to this game and was looking for a game to play next. Def going to do AOD. My all time fav so far is TR Anniversary!!!

dayoum
4th Mar 2015, 15:03
If I could vote, I'd chose Tomb Raider 9 (TR 2013) since it has a specific story. It gives Lara a human face and emotions.

I also loved TR2, I played it over and over again when I was a kid and now I have a lot of sentiment to this game.

zackdollars
4th Mar 2015, 20:57
TR 1996 and TR Legend 2006 were great. But, I like the general direction of TR 2013 (I played the PS4 DE version), so I'd have to pick the latest game in the series. There needs to be big improvement in shooting guns/bows, though. And, I'd like to see a more curvy Lara, like the old days.

Lara_Fan_84
4th Mar 2015, 23:13
I did enjoy the original TR. I only actually finished it for the first time a few months ago. I kept getting frustrated and needed a break. I was sort of disappointed at how easy it was to kill Natla but I guess after all the difficult challenges you had to face it was a nice break. However, I have a soft spot for Anniversary. I like Lara's voice her slightly updated look (the long braid), but it still had the original TR feel, meaning they left a lot of the look (not graphics wise), and I also liked how you could get outfits.

julietxjules
13th Mar 2015, 07:55
My heart and mind has ever been fixed on Tomb Raider 2. Perhaps it's because of the fond memories it invokes inside me and that I am challenged to explain it in words. The story, the adventure, the global travelling, and not forgetting the wonderful puzzles of course! It all added up to a well rounded and balanced game. For me, it's what Tomb Raider should always be. :)

Edit: In addition to my comment above and, going by the current poll results, I find it very fascinating indeed that a sequel released nearly twenty years ago in 1997 is still popular and holding its own today. The message couldn't be any clearer if it were lit up with neon lights! ;)

speedy57
3rd Apr 2015, 12:23
The very best game ever? Was tomb raider "the last revelation " I still play it today, not quite found all its,secrets.. But I think that is,half the fun, plus,the puzzles are fantastic,not many in the later versions...??

SpooneyMoon
6th Apr 2015, 11:05
I must say, I don't have any of the games in the series that I dislike or didn't enjoy, but as far as favourites go, mine would have to be Tomb Raider II Staring Lara Croft (purely for the nostalgia factor and it was the first game I played) along with the more refined Tomb Raider Chronicles

But on the next gen consol it would have to be Tomb Raider Anniversary! I loved it to bits and especially enjoyed the running commentary points :D

Chaugmar
7th May 2015, 10:54
I went TR1 and TR2 and both within the series and outside that they are standout. The original has some brilliant levels like Midas Palace and St Frances Folly. I loved the elements TR2 added like the boat/snowmobile and think it has most atmosphere of the TR games.

FireSwagg
11th May 2015, 18:40
The nine one, because Im wanting adventure, drama and spirit of a survivor, and this game does it have

ChengisKhan1155
4th Jun 2015, 14:53
Tomb Raider 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 were the best

Larafan1996
4th Jun 2015, 19:00
Can't beat the original, t-rex emerging from the shadows and playing for sport... just amazing. Prove me wrong with rise CD! :)

SlyRaider03
14th Jun 2015, 14:52
I vote for Tomb Raider II, of course! :D

BeckyB
22nd Jun 2015, 09:46
TR1
TR2
TR Underworld
TR9

Tecstar70
17th Nov 2015, 17:08
Ok, I'm gonna be first. TR10 is absolutely my favourite TR game.

KasigiYabuSama
3rd Dec 2015, 03:15
Geez, I'm only two years & four months from the lead post on this but... "never better than late," or something.

Anyhow, this is a really difficult question. To my mind the absolute best combination of state-of-the-art cinematic graphics with the look (including Lara's "non-realistic" appearance, which has always been one of the best things about TR,) feel and playability of the first three games, is Underworld, hands-down. That game is a masterpiece. It had all of the isolation, mystery, otherworldly weirdness, "non-realistic" fantasy predators and opponents, classic tomb-exploration intrigue, and the general style of TR I/II/III, but in spectacularly-rendered, state-of-the-art, photorealistic settings and characters. If SE did variations on Underworld for the next ten TR titles, I would be overjoyed.

But! As blocky and comparatively primitive as they are, the first three (plus Last Rev and maybe Chronicles too) are like old friends, or maybe like going home - so definitely some heavy-duty maudlin nostalgia at work in contemplating those, to the point I'd say that as great as Underworld was, I doubt anything can ever touch the first games of the series.

In contrast, the 2013 reboot is the first Tomb Raider title I didn't even finish. 'Had a computer crash roughly midway through, which necessitated a complete OS reinstall, and the thought of slogging through that whole thing again just to play it through, seemed prohibitively boring so I bagged it. The game's play-by-numbers linearity reminded me of those bonehead-obvious highlighted pathways of Legend; controlling the camera during combat was flatly impossible (I keep dreaming of a simple toggle to lock that thing right behind one of her shoulders, like in the classic games); and the whole thing with spending copious time diddling around with weapons-configuration and upgrades, and the idea of endlessly plinking away at crows to increase your shooting mojo incrementally, are absolute flow-killers and mind-numbing-boredom-enhancers. The maximum amount of time and mental focus I want to expend on selecting weapons is limited to the eight or ten seconds it takes to hit Esc and rotate my way through the pistols, Uzis, shotgun and maybe spear gun, and that's it. Please do not ask me to scrabble around for sticks and duct tape (or whatever it was,) to get some minor enhancement of a gun, or to navigate through multi-layered configuration menus for 600 different player parameters. At times the 2013 reboot felt like a discussion with a car insurance agent over coverage levels and deductibles - and about as entertaining. 'Hoping beyond hope the new game is nothing like TR 2013 and everything like Underworld.

One of the other greatest inherent strengths of the original Tomb Raider series was its simplicity. It wasn't about anal-retentive fixation on outfitting your avatar, it was about hitting the ground running and messing with tool selection only occasionally, briefly, and with minimal distraction from the whole milieu of exploration. IOW, I hope I never see another "base camp" as long as I live, in TR or any other game.

/soapbox

redmasterffx
16th Dec 2015, 16:58
TR Legend for me :)

Gitb97
16th Dec 2015, 22:35
Will this poll be reset again with the release of Rise and all?

Honestly since voting, I've replayed some classics and the CD trilogy.
My top 5 are:
1. Legend
2. Anniversary
3. AOD
4. Rise
5. TRII

Rise has something that 2013 didn't: Replayable levels - they should've done this instead of the online mode they went for, it totally works well and the tasks you set yourself to achieve gold makes the replay all the more fun (I often choose the don't die challenge because I died a lot in my first run through) however Legend is my overall favourite because of Laras character, the story, the replayability and Croft Manor was super fun too. Plus there were SO many outfits to unlock, meaning I actually wanted to find the artifacts and relics unlike in previous installments where I didn't really care THAT much about finding them

ButterFLY420
1st Aug 2016, 09:51
If I could vote, I'd chose Tomb Raider 9 (TR 2013) since it has a specific story. It gives Lara a human face and emotions.

I also loved TR2, I played it over and over again when I was a kid and now I have a lot of sentiment to this game.

I came here to write the same thing. TR 2013 is gonna be my vote. I enjoyed playing it cause of the rich story-line and the challenges it brings.

LCTOOFan
1st Aug 2016, 19:02
My favourite would be Angel of Darkness. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, Lara itself and the (sadly uncompleted) story are amazing and still fascininate me to this day. It deserve justice.

Rise and TR2 come after AOD. TR2 was my first TR and will forever have a special place in my heart. The T-Rex's, Venice and it's music and the Temple of Xian are really unique.
Rise is having a great story, beautiful environments and an awesome title song. I love the combat and the expedition mode with Endurance and Cold Darkness Awakened and the other modes.

If the LC games would count then Osiris would be my number 1. Everything about it is just awesome-perfect. The stunning locations, the puzzles, the perfect and just amazing soundtrack and the exploration and replay value of this game. Will forever be my personal number one of all TR/LC games of all time <3

KyleKirkpatrick
22nd Aug 2016, 15:17
Tomb Raider II will always be my favorite Tomb Raider game! You can't beat the Core Design classics. I liked the Reboot, however not as good as the classics IMO. Rise of the Tomb Raider was an excellent game though! A much better improvement over the Reboot!

LaraCroft1990
21st Nov 2016, 12:24
1) tomb raider 2
2) tomb raider 1
3) tomb raider A
4) tomb raider 2013
5) rise of the tomb raider

RafeAdler
7th Jan 2017, 03:33
Tomb Raider Underworld. I miss acrobatics, and exploration and diving. I miss fully automatic hand guns. I miss the cavalier and sort of playful and dangerous Lara. I miss the occasional warm locations, too. It literally had everything; scuba diving, motorcycles, acrobatics, full on assault rifles...in hindsight it was all over the top, but still left a lasting impression. If I had to pick a thing, it was the acrobatics. Being able to hoist yourself onto a cliff and into a full on handstand flip etc. I think you could compromise with this new series and put a more modest spin on the experienced and more graceful Lara of old, while still keeping it more grounded and realistic. I'm irritated with the cataclysmic chain reaction events of floors falling out beneath you, long slides, breaking ladders and rails, and crumbling cliffs. It's more over the top than the full on action Laras. The whole chained events of catastrophes comes across gimmicky and over abused.

udoknau
26th Oct 2017, 10:44
Hello,
I am thinking about buying the game Rise of the Tomb Raider at https://www.otto.nl . What do you say? Is this game good or should I rather wait for Tomb Raider:Underworld?

udoknau
26th Oct 2017, 10:47
Hello, I am thinking about buying the game Tomb Raider at https://www.otto.nl. What do you say? Is this game good or should I rather wait for Tomb Raider:Underwolrd?