PDA

View Full Version : Best MODs for the original Deus Ex

merrick97
5th Aug 2013, 18:38
I have owned it for many years but I havent gotten around to playing it and I wanted a recommendation for the best mods for the original Deus Ex.

Thanks.

Ashpolt
5th Aug 2013, 18:39
If you're playing it for the first time, play without mods.

Jerion
5th Aug 2013, 18:45
Play without mods the first time around. It doesn't need them. If you want to come back for a second run, then look at mods. :)

merrick97
5th Aug 2013, 18:50
I am referring to things like graphical tweaks and getting it to run more effectively on a current system.

Jerion
5th Aug 2013, 19:04
I am referring to things like graphical tweaks and getting it to run more effectively on a current system.

Ah. Okay.

Grab the Kentie Launcher. http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/#downloads

That will sort out all the little nagging problems.

Then grab an updated renderer (I recommend the OpenGL v2.0 renderer, available here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/). The Kentie Direct3D 10 renderer is decent, but a little bit flawed IMO. I use a modified version of the D3D10 renderer that has exposure adaptation disabled and bloom modified to be very subtle. The modified version is not publicly available at the moment, but may be released in the future.

If you want, you could try grabbing New Vision for high-res textures and HDTP for enhanced models, but those aren't 100% comprehensive visual upgrades and do have some oversights. Up to you. New Vision can be gotten from ModDB, HDTP (which is not completely stable) can be gotten here: http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11566

WildcatPhoenix
5th Aug 2013, 23:17
I'd have to agree with those saying, "play without mods," even if you're only referring to graphical enhancements.

Don't get me wrong, Deus Ex's visuals weren't anything particularly stunning even back in 2000 (although there are some individual nice moments). But I think you should take a look at Ion Storm's original vision for the game, experience it "pure" for lack of a better term, and then go back and sample some of the excellent work of the mod community.

CyberP
5th Aug 2013, 23:21
Huh? I'd recommend grabbing HDTP & New Vision to any newbie personally. Graphics mods only that stay true to the original for the most part.
New Vision is perfect. HDTP may have a couple of bugs but it's definitely worth the trade off in my opinion, though I'd recommend disabling all the character models for consistency as well as avoiding a bug.

WildcatPhoenix
5th Aug 2013, 23:52
Huh? I'd recommend grabbing HDTP & New Vision to any newbie personally. Graphics mods only that stay true to the original for the most part.
New Vision is perfect. HDTP may have a couple of bugs but it's definitely worth the trade off in my opinion, though I'd recommend disabling all the character models for consistency as well as avoiding a bug.

I simply disagree. I'm not particularly fond of the vast majority of the character models in HDTP.

I also don't think the graphics in the Unreal engine are ugly to the point of distraction. Unlike some older classic titles (the System Shocks, for example) you can still easily play through Deus Ex without giving yourself a headache from squinting at poorly rendered text or awful pixelation. And let's face it, if graphics are that important to you, then Deus Ex was never the franchise for you in the first place.

CyberP
6th Aug 2013, 00:28
I simply disagree. I'm not particularly fond of the vast majority of the character models in HDTP.

Hence my recommendation to disable them.

I also don't think the graphics in the Unreal engine are ugly to the point of distraction. Unlike some older classic titles (the System Shocks, for example)

Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are as ugly (beautiful) as eachother, imo. System Shock 1, well, it's to be expected really for a 3D game from 1994.

And let's face it, if graphics are that important to you, then Deus Ex was never the franchise for you in the first place.

True, but no harm in a free upgrade or two.

Jerion
6th Aug 2013, 02:04

I also don't think the graphics in the Unreal engine are ugly to the point of distraction. Unlike some older classic titles (the System Shocks, for example) you can still easily play through Deus Ex without giving yourself a headache from squinting at poorly rendered text or awful pixelation. And let's face it, if graphics are that important to you, then Deus Ex was never the franchise for you in the first place.

DX 1 graphics fidelity (distinct from the aesthetic) is kind of not-great, and the engine is a product of its time. They haven't aged well. You don't need to be a graphics snob to be happy to take advantage of high-res textures or a renderer that adds anti-aliasing. :)

Totally agree about the HDTP character model changes though. Item and weapon models are great, character models follow an entirely different art direction.

HERESY
6th Aug 2013, 03:56
I'd have to agree with those saying, "play without mods," even if you're only referring to graphical enhancements.

Don't get me wrong, Deus Ex's visuals weren't anything particularly stunning even back in 2000 (although there are some individual nice moments). But I think you should take a look at Ion Storm's original vision for the game, experience it "pure" for lack of a better term, and then go back and sample some of the excellent work of the mod community.

No. One of the reasons why I stopped playing the relic was due to the visuals. These links will come in handy.

CyberP
6th Aug 2013, 09:23
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s640/CyberP1/1_zpsbb2b1beb.jpg (http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/CyberP1/media/1_zpsbb2b1beb.jpg.html)
Here is Deus Ex with HDTP, New Vision & Kenties DX10 renderer running on my laptop.
Looks great.

merrick97
6th Aug 2013, 15:34
I certainly want graphical mods that stay true to the original game as that is how I want to experience the game, but I do want MODs that give better textures and offer true widescreen support.

WildcatPhoenix
6th Aug 2013, 16:23
No. One of the reasons why I stopped playing the relic was due to the visuals. These links will come in handy.

How shocking.

Ashpolt
6th Aug 2013, 16:33
I certainly want graphical mods that stay true to the original game as that is how I want to experience the game, but I do want MODs that give better textures and offer true widescreen support.

As Jerion pointed out above, Kentie will handle all of your needs when it comes to running it on a modern system, including proper widescreen support. I run it in 2560 x 1440 at 16:10 AR without any graphics overhauls and in its own clunky, 2000 way it looks glorious.

[EDIT] Here's a screenshot I took of the game running at 2560 x 1440. (http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/486624570174905597/8335B9672B1AEED91EA8CCF77F96A6BEC6F52246/) (This isn't a particularly graphically exciting area of the game, but it's the only full res screenshot I have.)

besyuziki
6th Aug 2013, 17:36
Is it just me or did the original Unreal Engine age better than UE2? Its array of games is much more impressive too.