PDA

View Full Version : David Anfossi announced as the new head of Eidos-Montreal

b1skit
1st Aug 2013, 18:54
Hey guys, meet my new boss:

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Meet-the-New-Boss?theme=em

Many of you will be familiar with David Anfossi due to his work as the Executive Producer on 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I hope you'll all join me in giving him a warm welcome into his new role :)

68_pie
1st Aug 2013, 19:09
I’m a big believer in sharing information

For those playing our games, I want you to be happy with what you see, hear and play. I want you to feel close to this studio and to feel your voice is heard. I will show you that we are listening and share our games, vision and ideas with you because together, we’re going to be hard to beat.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Jerion
1st Aug 2013, 19:44

That's a nicely jaded sentiment and all, but the thing is he's head of the studio now. If he wants to increase communication with the communities, then he's in a position to do something about that. I'd be very happy to see newer, better levels of communication.

AlexOfSpades
1st Aug 2013, 19:46
Red Alert! PR Cannons are firing, i repeat, they're firing the PR cannons!

Activate the anti-BS shields! I need two manning the negativity guns ASAP!!

*pewpewpew*

68_pie
1st Aug 2013, 19:55
That's a nicely jaded sentiment and all

Ask me why I'm jaded :p

Obviously I hope that it happens but I'm taking an empirical approach so I will believe it when I see it. There have been enough empty words from Squeeidos.

Reven
1st Aug 2013, 20:18
Mostly likely it means they will now use facebook AND Reddit when communicating instead of just Facebook.

Itkovian
1st Aug 2013, 21:34
That's a nicely jaded sentiment and all, but the thing is he's head of the studio now. If he wants to increase communication with the communities, then he's in a position to do something about that. I'd be very happy to see newer, better levels of communication.

Not that I share the sentiment, indeed I think the DXHR team was a great team (the credits alone showed what a labour of love DXHR was, never seen credits like those, and the game itself showed it), so I'm happy for David's good fortune.... but let's not forget that this IS a Deus Ex forum.

By its very nature, you can't expect the DX fandom to take anything at face value. :)

Ashpolt
1st Aug 2013, 22:27

That's very much in line with what he was saying when I spoke to him at E3. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but I believe that he means what he's saying.

Shralla
2nd Aug 2013, 00:32
Yeah but I doubt communication involves actually caring what the minority on the forums thinks, rather what the general public on facebook thinks.

HERESY
2nd Aug 2013, 00:49
With change comes opportunity. I wish him well and hope he can lead EM to glory.

WildcatPhoenix
2nd Aug 2013, 01:02
With change comes opportunity. I wish him well and hope he can lead EM to glory.

May be the first thing you've ever said that I agree with. I see no reason to be pessimistic about this move. At worst, it's likely to lead to more of the same. But there just might be the potential for major improvement.

CyberP
2nd Aug 2013, 02:20
Congratulations, Mr.Anfossi!

My first game that was one of those "cut above the rest" games (for the time & what I had played up till that point) was Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the Gameboy when I was very young, so I can relate!
I also completed a Link to the Past, but preferred Awakening, possibly due to it being the first of the two I had played, possibly not. Was years ago now so my analysis & comparison of the two would have been somewhat deficient.

Of all the games on many platforms I have experienced I hold the opinion that "Immersive Sims" are the pinnacle of gaming to date, and I hope many at Eidos feel the same way. Call me jaded also, but I doubt that this is the case, unfortunately.
And when I say "Immersive Sims", I really only mean a select few, mostly from around the year 2000. The design is the smartest, even if the tech is now dated, but design trumps all. Human Revolution came close but we couldn't really expect the second coming from a fresh studio. I hope to see all skills and knowledge the team has gained put to optimum use for Deus Ex 4. We believe you have what it takes (right guys?), but that the problem here is probably a difference of opinion, hence HR's design. Business doesn't even come into this as accessibilty can be tacked on to easy and normal difficulty modes: highlighting, Objective markers, constant tips, radar, minimap...whatever you want really to ensure an easy ride for the more casual gamers.
Then again, if DX4 is regarded as the second coming it well sell like hotcakes anyway, especially since the industry and the internet is more widespread than it was 13 years ago and word of mouth/keyboard is certain.

In other news, I just completed Arx Fatalis again. This is a "true" Immersive Sim, even if it is more flawed than the others.
I love that it challenges me intellectually (the puzzles, my god the puzzles) and provides hours of deep entertainment, what modern game does that?

If one does not understand the concept of immersive sim, here is the fist step you should take: get some alone time, turn off the lights, put on some good headphones and play Arx fatalis, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth or System Shock 2. Deus Ex is immersive too but less so than those three in my opinion. Horror elements is what gives them the higher level of immersion.

Disclaimer: I love repeating myself. If you take my advice and play any of these games under these conditions I am not responsible for potential cardiac arrest or stained panties.

Anyway, I enjoyed the write up. Gave me some inspiration to press on too, make a career out of this. The Fall though....not cool EM/SE. There were plenty other options for a cash cow.

68_pie
2nd Aug 2013, 11:18
As long as he doesn't turn into Todd Howard...

HERESY
2nd Aug 2013, 15:02
May be the first thing you've ever said that I agree with. I see no reason to be pessimistic about this move. At worst, it's likely to lead to more of the same. But there just might be the potential for major improvement.

If that was the first thing I've ever said that you agree with you're missing out on life.

FrankCSIS
2nd Aug 2013, 15:07
Good luck to the man upstairs!

This is not an easy step to take, from producer to GM. Have a great deal of challenges ahead for the studio as well, especially with Square's difficult position. The good news is, Stephane built some solid foundations.

Looking forward to the next announcements, whenever they come, as well as the new communication strategies.

Spyhopping
2nd Aug 2013, 15:38
Yes, I can imagine it's a challenging move. Congratualtions to Mr Anfossi! It was nice to have a talk with him, he and JF seemed to want to really stress a future change in communication. Naturally I look forward to future announcements too.

CyberP
2nd Aug 2013, 15:54
Yes, I can imagine it's a challenging move. Congratualtions to Mr Anfossi! It was nice to have a talk with him, he and JF seemed to want to really stress a future change in communication. Naturally I look forward to future announcements too.

I don't know why you people are so eager for communications. They wouldn't be speaking their minds I doubt.
What they'd really want to express, to some at least, is: Removed by the dictorial Spyhopping

Damn you Spy! :p

JCpies
2nd Aug 2013, 17:40
Let's keep things a bit more light hearted.
http://oi44.tinypic.com/315zoyf.jpg

I didn't notice the typo until it was too late.

Spyhopping
2nd Aug 2013, 17:58
I don't know why you people are so eager for communications. They wouldn't be speaking their minds I doubt.
What they'd really want to express, to some at least, is: Removed by the dictorial Spyhopping

Damn you Spy! :p

Muhahaha! My ambition to be queen of the world and remove it of all vulgarities is almost complete!!

Let's keep things a bit more light hearted.
http://oi44.tinypic.com/315zoyf.jpg

I didn't notice the typo until it was too late.

Adorable, Mr Pie.

CyberP
2nd Aug 2013, 18:19
Muhahaha! My ambition to be queen of the world and remove it of all vulgarities is almost complete!!

Sorry my dear, you have a long, long way to go yet. :)

I do not doubt you could be queen, but ridding the world of vulgarities is something I doubt you can accomplish.

FrankCSIS
2nd Aug 2013, 23:12
Eric Idle knows best!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ajZ-5kTXk

besyuziki
6th Aug 2013, 11:04
Best of luck.

I hope Stephane's statements about lack of communication and unsolvable differences were not in vain.

Karpaw
6th Aug 2013, 16:40
The very fact that he's replacing someone who left because of "irreconcilable differences" worries me that he'll be more of a yes-man to SE but I hope I'm wrong.