PDA

View Full Version : Steam Trading Cards

Synap5e
17th Jul 2013, 09:53
A few weeks ago I noticed that Steam began to publish a lot of trading cards. What about DeusEx/Thief? I think it should be fun :)

68_pie
17th Jul 2013, 13:19
Can someone explain to me what the point of the cards is? Or what you even do with them?

CyberP
17th Jul 2013, 13:52
Point: Bonus incentives, business decision.
Use: Trading digitally/Collection/No real use

Off topic but w/e: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23285642

Shralla
17th Jul 2013, 18:56
Use: Trading digitally/Collection/No real use

Making money off of playing games seems like it's pretty useful to me. You can sell all your cards for Steam Wallet funds. There is literally something for everybody here, it's not just a stupid collection.

As far as Steam functionality goes, you craft full sets of trading cards into badges which give you Steam XP, profile backgrounds unique to that game, emoticons unique to that game for use in chat, and coupons for discounts on games. When you level up on Steam, you unlock profile showcases for displaying different information and gameplay stats on the top of your community page, and gain five extra slots on your friends list, which is really important for people who play competitively or are Internet famous.

The best part of the system is that say somebody wants those five extra friends, they can just buy it on the Steam marketplace, but not an arbitrary increase directly from valve. They have to pay OTHER PEOPLE for the cards they've unlocked on Steam so they can complete the set and gain those friends, creating an actual economy surrounding it.

And honestly, I came here to post the same thing. It seems like they're waiting to put a lot of games on Daily Sale until they have the trading cards finished for them, but they put Deus Ex up today and no trading cards to be found. I would also very much like if there were trading cards for the original Deus Ex, much like how there are trading cards for games like System Shock 2 (which I was playing last night, and got a couple cards from!)

CyberP
17th Jul 2013, 19:01
Snip

That, to be honest, I didn't know. Sometimes, just sometimes, I type without examining the subject matter extensively :o

Sounds cool!

sonicsidewinder
17th Jul 2013, 19:30
I sold one on the market the other day. For 3 PENCE!

Get on my level.

spy boy jensen
5th Aug 2013, 10:53
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166884206 ;) Want it!

AlexOfSpades
5th Aug 2013, 16:17
Adding Trading Cards certainly will help sales - lots of Steam powerlevelers buy games just to earn their trading cards and booster packs.

I sold one on the market the other day. For 3 PENCE!

Get on my level.

Dust: An Elysian Tail and UT2004 trading cards are selling for 0,50 dollars each. They're pretty easy to drop (play the game for around 20 minutes), too. If they add trading cards, i'll reinstall Thief!

Shralla
5th Aug 2013, 19:58
Adding Trading Cards certainly will help sales - lots of Steam powerlevelers buy games just to earn their trading cards and booster packs.

I dunno... You could just buy a full set of cards on the market for less than the cost of the game 9/10 times. I guess maybe they figure they should get an actual product out of it.