PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex HR: upgrade to Director's Cut

starise
15th Jul 2013, 23:56
Hi there... i would like to know if there will be a free (or not) upgrade to the Director's cut features for the customers that had already purchased Deus Ex HR standard version and DLCs separately.

AlexOfSpades
16th Jul 2013, 00:49
This is not known yet, Starise. (AFAIK)

Also, welcome to the forums

sonicsidewinder
16th Jul 2013, 11:12
I really hope they do. Would feel a little like a kick in the teeth if I had to pay £40 again.

At the very least there should be a discount for people who own HR & Missing Link.

I've been wanting to play HR again but I feel like I have to hold back to wait for the Directors Cut.

Bit annoying.

starise
18th Jul 2013, 00:48
This is not known yet, Starise. (AFAIK)
Also, welcome to the forums Thanks! ^^

I really hope they do. Would feel a little like a kick in the teeth if I had to pay £40 again. Yep agree... but i have a bad feeling about this! :(

I've been wanting to play HR again but I feel like I have to hold back to wait for the Directors Cut.This man! +1

Itkovian
19th Jul 2013, 13:17
Considering that The Missing Link had to be released as a whole new game to accommodate the upgraded engine, and the Director's Cut integrates TML with the main game, I doubt there will be a DLC patch.

At best, it maybe be a DLC that is installed as a separate game, just like TML. The good news is the infrastructure does exist to have steam make it available as a DLC (if you bought the game previously) or as a separate "full-price" game if you haven't.

Regardless, it won't be free.

ididntaskforthis
19th Jul 2013, 19:54
i hope so b/c i'm kind of in limbo about what to do.

basically i would like to buy the dlcs for it, but i don't want to 'double buy' if there won't be an 'upgrade' to the director's cut for existing pc owners. i'd be willing to pay for a director cut upgrade to my existing game, b/c it includes the dlc, but i dont want to buy the dlcs AND find out later i wont be able to get the director cut w/o buying the game again.

so i'm just kind of waiting for some official word.

but i wish i knew in advance how they'll be handling this

besyuziki
23rd Jul 2013, 02:12
I've been wanting to play HR again but I feel like I have to hold back to wait for the Directors Cut.

Bit annoying.

Same here. Could use a price clarification to see if I should start a new game or wait.

Itkovian
23rd Jul 2013, 12:29
I am totally in the same boat.

I actually had a game in progress, but I feel I should just wait for Director's Cut, and play it only then so it's not so "fresh" in my mind.

Must... play.... DX. :)

Psychomorph
26th Jul 2013, 05:07
Same here, was about to replay it, but must wait for DC now.

physiker_tum
3rd Aug 2013, 22:37
I really hope they do. Would feel a little like a kick in the teeth if I had to pay £40

Its available for preordering here in Germany, costs 20€ for the PC version.
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=deus%20ex%20directors%20cut&sprefix=deus+ex+di%2Caps%2C186&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adeus%20ex%20directors%20cut

merrick97
4th Aug 2013, 03:33
Those who expect the DC content to be free are going to be disappointed.

Quite frankly it SHOULDNT be free.

JCpies
4th Aug 2013, 10:27

Brace yourself.

HERESY
5th Aug 2013, 05:36

Q4T.

Shralla
5th Aug 2013, 20:22

You're right. Just like the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shouldn't have been free. Just like all those updates to Unreal Tournament 2004 shouldn't have been free. Just like every single patch containing fixes EXACTLY LIKE WHAT ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED IN THE DIRECTOR'S CUT downloaded in the 90s and early 2000s shouldn't have been free.

Why should we expect companies to fix their broken games for free? That's just stupid. We should buy broken games and then pay them again for it to be fixed so they can make more money. Ultimately I'm sure it will benefit consumers.

CyberP
5th Aug 2013, 21:50
I'm not sure why you think they'd want to spend months & money on this DC, only to release it for free? Especially with the production/development costs these days.
Going off of the WiiU version it's not comparable to a patch.

If you want free content there are mods about for DX1. Certain specific mods ;)

The only widely recognised "fix" in the DC is the Boss fights. Myself, I'd prefer they'd focus on other things instead of NG+ etc, so I will not buy it. I suggest you do the same if you are not satisfied, it's madness to expect this for free as the game is not actually broken. Whilst we may see it as a highly flawed but great game, there are others that see it as a masterpiece. Whatever anyone thinks of it, it is not broken. It can only be considered broken if it is unplayable.

HERESY
5th Aug 2013, 22:24
You're right. Just like the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher and The Witcher 2 shouldn't have been free. Just like all those updates to Unreal Tournament 2004 shouldn't have been free. Just like every single patch containing fixes EXACTLY LIKE WHAT ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED IN THE DIRECTOR'S CUT downloaded in the 90s and early 2000s shouldn't have been free.

Why should we expect companies to fix their broken games for free? That's just stupid. We should buy broken games and then pay them again for it to be fixed so they can make more money. Ultimately I'm sure it will benefit consumers.

Just like Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition was free. Just like the upcoming Ultra Street Fighter 4 is going to be free.

Again, the game was not broken and you simply need to stop claiming it was broken because it wasn't. You either pay for the goods or you don't get them, but it is WRONG to think that because company A does something that company B must follow suit.

Karpaw
6th Aug 2013, 14:33
I'm not sure why you think they'd want to spend months & money on this DC, only to release it for free? Especially with the production/development costs these days.
Going off of the WiiU version it's not comparable to a patch.

To earn back some consumer goodwill after first intending to make the DC exclusive to the Wii-U - a console ranking with the Virtual Boy in popularity - and then focusing their efforts on the casualized crapfest "The Fail"?

The Witcher series and its EE's would be the ideal to emulate here. Eastern European developers in general aren't yet subject to the ultra-capitalistic western company culture where bean counters make every decision to maximize short-term profit. Despite that, CDPR seem do be doing well financially. I'm so confused, how can that possibly be? I thought bleeding the consumer for every cent - instead of instilling brand loyalty through a measure of respect towards your customers - was the only way to get by.

merrick97
6th Aug 2013, 15:15

Ok Mr. Entitlement.

Your first argument FAILS because Deus Ex HR is NOT a broken game. Its completely playable and offers a complete experience. The boss battles are not well designed, but they don't BREAK the game. You're argument about not encouraging developers to release unfinished products is a good one, but completely not relevant Deus Ex HR. They are just releasing a better version which you DO NOT have to buy. Its not like the original (which was VERY highly praised) will no longer work if you choose not to buy the new version.

I have not played Witcher, but I do applaud them for doing what they did and I wish more developers would do such a thing, but under no circumstances do I feel we are entitled to get free content.

Your argument for Unreal Tournament 2004 actually HURTS your point:

First thing you need to realize is that most of those UT mappacks were made by players and Epic released them as a community pack. Very few of those free maps were actually made by Epic.

Secondly, the cost of making individual maps back then was SIGNIFICANTLY lower and required much less manpower. Many times those maps were made by a small group of 1 or 2 people. This day and age I am guessing DLC requires 40-50 people to work on and produce.

While we are talking about Epic, if you recall they released Unreal Tournament 2003 which was not well received and was criticized for having much less features than the original Unreal Tournament. Epics response was to release Unreal Tournament 2004, which you had to BUY even if you bought Unreal Tournament 2003.

In otherwords Epic CHARGED for the Directors Cut of Unreal Tournament 2003 and called it Unreal Tournament 2004.

Make no mistake there is a LOT going on in the game industry that I cannot stand. Nothing is more offensive to me than removing pieces of a game during development only to be sold off as DLC (ala Mass Effect 3 From Ashes)

vb4
8th Aug 2013, 13:12
Your first argument FAILS because Deus Ex HR is NOT a broken game. Its completely playable and offers a complete experience. The boss battles are not well designed, but they don't BREAK the game. You're argument about not encouraging developers to release unfinished products is a good one, but completely not relevant Deus Ex HR. They are just releasing a better version which you DO NOT have to buy. Its not like the original (which was VERY highly praised) will no longer work if you choose not to buy the new version.

Counter point:
Broken sights. I am sure they will be fixed in the DC (If they aren't... What the hell?).
Are you telling me that buyers of the original game do not deserve this fix? This is broken.
The boss fights are only not broken because of the Typhoon augmentation (meaning that they can be skipped).

Shralla
12th Aug 2013, 04:11
Again, the game was not broken and you simply need to stop claiming it was broken because it wasn't.

Yes, it was. There are several bugs which render certain aspects of the game completely unplayable, problems with the cover system, problems with jumping, problems with augmentation activation... The game is broken, they said they would release "patches," which they released two of, fixing none of the gameplay problems.

You either pay for the goods or you don't get them, but it is WRONG to think that because company A does something that company B must follow suit.

They must if they want my money again, which has been my point the entire time.

HERESY
12th Aug 2013, 17:52
Yes, it was. There are several bugs which render certain aspects of the game completely unplayable, problems with the cover system, problems with jumping, problems with augmentation activation... The game is broken, they said they would release "patches," which they released two of, fixing none of the gameplay problems.

The game was not broken. Bugs and glitches? Yes. Questionable design choices? Absolutely. Unbalanced at points? Sure. Broken? No. Broken = the game does not work or there is a mechanic that, when exploited, renders the game unplayable. Again, Skyrim was a broken game DX:HR is not.

They must if they want my money again, which has been my point the entire time.

They probably don't care about your money. In business you don't worry about the whiners, the complainers those with entitlement issues, mommy issues or whatever other issues that seem to be the flavor of the month. You cater to the core audience who is willing to spend money or has shown that they're loyal to your brand. You don't worry about the guys sitting on the fence or the guys who don't want your products. There are other offerings for those guys, you just concentrate on your market. Again, this is business 101.

So either buy the game or don't buy it but stop *****ing about the possibility that you may have to pay.

Darthassin
12th Aug 2013, 17:59
The game was not broken. Bugs and glitches? Yes. Questionable design choices? Absolutely. Unbalanced at points? Sure. Broken? No. Broken = the game does not work or there is a mechanic that, when exploited, renders the game unplayable. Again, Skyrim was a broken game DX:HR is not.

They probably don't care about your money. In business you don't worry about the whiners, the complainers those with entitlement issues, mommy issues or whatever other issues that seem to be the flavor of the month. You cater to the core audience who is willing to spend money or has shown that they're loyal to your brand. You don't worry about the guys sitting on the fence or the guys who don't want your products. There are other offerings for those guys, you just concentrate on your market. Again, this is business 101.

So either buy the game or don't buy it but stop *****ing about the possibility that you may have to pay.

Q4T

jkruse
22nd Aug 2013, 05:54
I don't really think it should be a free upgrade, but steam does have the ability to check whether you already own content and offer a reduced price. That seems appropriate and fair to me.

Shralla
22nd Aug 2013, 06:57
You cater to the core audience who is willing to spend money or has shown that they're loyal to your brand.

I'm sorry. Who is more loyal to the brand? The person who picked up HR used for $30 two months after release? Or the person who bought and played all the games in the series for full price?

As if "loyal to the brand" means "blindly accepting all design choices."

HERESY
22nd Aug 2013, 21:26
I'm sorry. Who is more loyal to the brand? The person who picked up HR used for $30 two months after release? Or the person who bought and played all the games in the series for full price?

As if "loyal to the brand" means "blindly accepting all design choices."

Did you buy and play their game? That's what matters most. Brand loyalty does not mean blindly accepting all design choices. In fact, I made a classic post in the Thief forum where I said we need to hold companies to higher standards and change our way of thinking. I'm sorry, but this won't happen as long as people try to hold on to the old ways and lash out when it's time to adapt.

Kamikave
23rd Aug 2013, 16:13
Its available for preordering here in Germany, costs 20€ for the PC version.
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=deus%20ex%20directors%20cut&sprefix=deus+ex+di%2Caps%2C186&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adeus%20ex%20directors%20cut

Funny, same price in France, but the release date is october, not decembre. As usual, you can't take amazon's info for granted.

DC on amazon.fr (http://www.amazon.fr/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Directors/dp/B00E9P1WI6/ref=sr_1_20?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1377274235&sr=1-20&keywords=deus+ex)

El Zoido
24th Aug 2013, 18:24
IMHO, a decent publisher would make it available for free, or at least with a good discount, for those customers that already own the original+DLC(s).
Whether SE is one of the decent publishers, I don't know.
Guess we'll see.

HERESY
24th Aug 2013, 18:42
$30 is a discount. If you can't swing it wait until it's on sale.

Shralla
24th Aug 2013, 19:01
$30 is only a discount if you think that this two-year-old game with an extremely minor overhaul is worth $50, which is stupid.

El Zoido
24th Aug 2013, 20:05
It's a "discount" that applies to everyone, though, whether he owns the original or not.
I'm just saying that someone who already spend his money on the original+DLC might as well get some reward for that.
Otherwise I'm just going to wait till it drops in price, sure.

HERESY
24th Aug 2013, 20:10
$30 is only a discount if you think that this two-year-old game with an extremely minor overhaul is worth $50, which is stupid.

An extremely minor overhaul? One minute you're saying the game was broken and beyond play now when they fix boss battles, bugs, graphics, etc you call it an "extremely minor overhaul", lol.

Stop it.

$30 for a new game is nothing. I see a lot of two year old games that are still within that price range and they don't even have half the bells and whistles.

Shralla
24th Aug 2013, 20:15
I see a lot of two year old games that are still within that price range

Yeah, like Call of Duty and............................

Oh right, nothing. Bug fixes and broken mechanics should be fixed FOR FREE. The additional content is ridiculously minimal and barely worth $5 on steam sale.

CyberP
24th Aug 2013, 21:20
:lol:

I too love this forum.

HERESY
24th Aug 2013, 21:47
Yeah, like Call of Duty and............................

Oh right, nothing.

Target and Wal Mart disagree with you.

Bug fixes and broken mechanics should be fixed FOR FREE.

Bug fixes? Yes. Broken mechanics? That depends on what we're talking about. For example, the boss battles weren't the best, but they weren't "broken." Questionable? Absolutely. Broken? Nope.

The additional content is ridiculously minimal and barely worth $5 on steam sale.

This is your opinion. EM disagrees and so do a lot of gamers outside of this forum. The only people I constantly see complaining about this are the people on the forum.

chabbles
24th Aug 2013, 23:58
^^^
Its funny how you seem to think "alot of people outside this forum disagree", rather convenient as they cant speak for themselfs.
And you would think the people who come to this forum, register, and engage in discussion about the game, maybe care alittle more.
Any gamer in their right mind who has already purchased all content for HR, would appreciate a discount/upgrade option, and to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Thats just my opinion though.

HERESY
25th Aug 2013, 00:19
^^^
Its funny how you seem to think "alot of people outside this forum disagree", rather convenient as they cant speak for themselfs.

All you have to do is go to other game forums or read the comments in articles/feeds devoted to the Directors Cut.

And you would think the people who come to this forum, register, and engage in discussion about the game, maybe care alittle more.

Why would I think that? Based on all the bashing that has come from people here? One guy in particular hasn't even PLAYED THE GAME, yet he has bashed it since it has been released.

Any gamer in their right mind who has already purchased all content for HR, would appreciate a discount/upgrade option, and to say otherwise is ridiculous.

Yes, they would appreciate it. I'd appreciate if it were $.01. In fact, I'd appreciate it if it were free. However, I appreciate the time and resources put in to he game which is why I'm gonna shell out $30. You have to remember, right now on psn and live TML is $14.99 and has only been on sale ONCE. I initially passed up TML because I didn't like how it wasn't integrated in to the game. How many people are getting mad at Bethesda for making a legendary edition for that broken game, Skyrim? It has all the DLC, fixes, etc yet they're charging like $59.99 for it. What about the people who previously purchased Skyrim at $59.99 and paid $9.99 to $14.99 for the other dlcs? What about people who will pay for ULTRA SF4? Some paid $65 when Vanilla came out (I did) and paid full price for Super (I think it was $19.99) and some even paid for the upgrade for Oni and Evil Ryu (I didn't because I stopped playing.) However, when Ultra is released I'll pay the $15 for the upgrade. Why? Because I find value in it.

Thats just my opinion though.

And you're entitled to it but you aren't entitled to free goods at their expense.

You got what you paid for when you purchased the initial offering. This is a different offering.

chabbles
25th Aug 2013, 04:12
All you have to do is go to other game forums or read the comments in articles/feeds devoted to the Directors Cut.

Heresy, come on now, thats hearsay.

Why would I think that? Based on all the bashing that has come from people here? One guy in particular hasn't even PLAYED THE GAME, yet he has bashed it since it has been released.

Because its common sense. One guy hasnt played the game and you come to that conclusion, your just generalizing.

Yes, they would appreciate it. I'd appreciate if it were $.01. In fact, I'd appreciate it if it were free. However, I appreciate the time and resources put in to he game which is why I'm gonna shell out $30. You have to remember, right now on psn and live TML is $14.99 and has only been on sale ONCE. I initially passed up TML because I didn't like how it wasn't integrated in to the game. How many people are getting mad at Bethesda for making a legendary edition for that broken game, Skyrim? It has all the DLC, fixes, etc yet they're charging like $59.99 for it. What about the people who previously purchased Skyrim at $59.99 and paid $9.99 to $14.99 for the other dlcs? What about people who will pay for ULTRA SF4? Some paid $65 when Vanilla came out (I did) and paid full price for Super (I think it was $19.99) and some even paid for the upgrade for Oni and Evil Ryu (I didn't because I stopped playing.) However, when Ultra is released I'll pay the $15 for the upgrade. Why? Because I find value in it.

Skyrim ?, want the hell are you talking about ?. if you allready have skyrim and all dlcs, there is zero reason to get the legendary edition. It offers nothing new, along with the patches and fixes's are released free, you have a choose and you dont need to buy the lege-edition. Completely different. SF4 has no relevance here. And have you even bought the missing link ?

And you're entitled to it but you aren't entitled to free goods at their expense.

Again you talk nonsense, i argued that a discount (NOT FREE) would be nice for people who already owned all content. Even half price would be great to get the visual upgrade and have the missing link seamlessly integrated.

Your arguments are dumb, borderline ass kissing.

FrankCSIS
25th Aug 2013, 05:20
I did not peg you out as someone spending 65$ on street fighter.

Whatdoyouknow

HERESY
25th Aug 2013, 06:56
I did not peg you out as someone spending 65$ on street fighter.

Whatdoyouknow

I've been playing SF since it was created. Not too many people remember the first SF that came in two editions, one with six buttons and one with two gigantic buttons that were supposed to be touch sensitive. But a "rival" of mine actually taught me how to play SF2. After that we were on good terms. I also worked a summer gig so I could purchase the super famicom version of SF2. I think it came up to $175 or something. I quit right after I made enough dough.

Heresy, come on now, thats hearsay.

Read the responses it's there and it's not like I'm saying ALL people are falling over for it, just that many people aren't complaining.

Because its common sense. One guy hasnt played the game and you come to that conclusion, your just generalizing.

So you expect me to put stock in the people that come here and bash the game yet I'm supposed to discount the posts of those outside of this forum who have no problem spending the money?

Skyrim ?, want the hell are you talking about ?. if you allready have skyrim and all dlcs, there is zero reason to get the legendary edition. It offers nothing new, along with the patches and fixes's are released free, you have a choose and you dont need to buy the lege-edition. Completely different.

Legendary edition = $65.46. Skyrim plus each additional DLC = A little over $100. Completely different?

SF4 has no relevance here.

Indeed it does. Each subsequent version is something you have to pay for but it usually isn't full price. For those who already own SSF4 or even SF4, the upgrade to Ultra is $15. Don't have either of those? $40.

And have you even bought the missing link ?

Like I said in my previous classic post, "I initially passed up TML because I didn't like how it wasn't integrated in to the game." I'm not passing it up now because I have the DC preordered. TML only went on sale ONCE on psn and live and the PSN version was on sale like two months ago. Even on sale there was no reason to get it because that was $7.99 I could use towards DC with updated graphics, gameplay, etc.

Again you talk nonsense

This is your opinion and I'm glad you are able to formulate an original thought of your own.

i argued that a discount (NOT FREE) would be nice for people who already owned all content. Even half price would be great to get the visual upgrade and have the missing link seamlessly integrated.

I never said you didn't.

Your arguments are dumb, borderline ass kissing.

Again, your opinion but if I had typed something like that I'd have the mods in my pm telling me I just got dinged.

Listen, when companies do wrong I vote with my wallet. I didn't like the way TML wasn't integrated, made one or two classic posts about it (not long) and decided not to get it. I wasn't butt hurt, didn't beg them to go back and change it, etc. See, I call it straight down the middle like an honest and unbiased person should. I respect the fact they put a lot of time and resources into the game so there is nothing wrong with giving them $30. I find value in the product and will enjoy it. That isn't dumb or ass kissing, kid. It's called being reasonable, operating within the realm of logic and not having entitlement issues.

Now I'm off to play Tomb Raider.

FrankCSIS
25th Aug 2013, 14:36
I've been playing SF since it was created. Not too many people remember the first SF that came in two editions, one with six buttons and one with two gigantic buttons that were supposed to be touch sensitive. But a "rival" of mine actually taught me how to play SF2. After that we were on good terms. I also worked a summer gig so I could purchase the super famicom version of SF2. I think it came up to $175 or something. I quit right after I made enough dough.

So you DO have a nostalgic fiber! ;)

Only ever picked up on the series with SS2, like most people. Fond memories, but mostly of the times/circumstances and the people playing it with me than the actual game. Still like to pick up one of their titles on the cheap side, to pool it in our community pot of games we play together now and then.

chabbles
25th Aug 2013, 22:15
@Heresy, it all makes sense now.. you passed up on the missing link while the rest of us bought it. So now your getting a much sweeter deal with the directors cut(hours of actual new content),
and as youv never gotten TML, there would be no possible discount for you if they offered one to people who purchased all previous content. So you argue against it, even though it effects you in no way what so ever, you still dont want others to get something back for supporting the dev/pub....

AlexOfSpades
25th Aug 2013, 23:08
The guy he's saying that "never played the game" is me, and i've played the game i just never finished it. Also, i dont bash the game at all. But Heresy likes to pretend i do, it makes his little drama more entertaining.

HERESY
26th Aug 2013, 00:02
@Heresy, it all makes sense now.. you passed up on the missing link while the rest of us bought it.

Indeed.

So now your getting a much sweeter deal with the directors cut(hours of actual new content),
and as youv never gotten TML, there would be no possible discount for you if they offered one to people who purchased all previous content.

It's a discount because they aren't charging $65 for the game. :)

So you argue against it, even though it effects you in no way what so ever, you still dont want others to get something back for supporting the dev/pub....

Wrong. I actually want you to get something back for supporting the dev because without people like us they wouldn't be in business. What I don't believe is that people should get the new content for free.

CyberP
26th Aug 2013, 01:23
You people can argue all you want, it's not going to be free anyway. The most people can sanely ask for is discount for those who own the original.

Shame they never offered me that job. I would have made the best DLC ever and due to it likely only being compatable with the Director's Cut it would have drove up sales further :(

chabbles
26th Aug 2013, 01:49
What I don't believe is that people should get the new content for free.

I never said free, but ill say what i said in my first comment to you again, and here we are back full circle.. That people who purchased the full game, along with the missing link(something you havent done) should get an upgrade/discount offer.
But i agree that anyone who hasnt bought all content should certainly pay full price @ 30e/30$. Theres hours worth of new gameplay in the missing link. Where as the people who have played the game and dlc are getting a small visual upgrade and the >integration< of TML. We could argue back and forth about the boss battle changes (personally i had no problems with the boss battles to begin with)

i dont think someone like you should even have a say in the matter to begin with on discounts or no discounts. if you havent got the missing link, then you are genuinely getting brand new ingame content, and hours of it at that. Looking at it from your perspective, id be excited for the hours of brand new gameplay. You should try and look at things from other peoples perspective.

What if the directors cut was just the vanilla game ? (just say the missing link NEVER existed) and there was no new content for you with the D cut, only a visual boost.. would you pay $30 for it then ?

HERESY
26th Aug 2013, 02:12
I never said free, but ill say what i said in my first comment to you again, and here we are back full circle.. That people who purchased the full game, along with the missing link(something you havent done) should get an upgrade/discount offer.

I never said you did. However, you aren't the only person here. There are several people in this thread who have demanded free content in other threads devoted to this topic. Don't believe me? Use the sites search engine and you'll see this. Countless posts from people with entitlement issues and comparing EM to another company, yet when other companies who do the same as EM are mentioned we start hearing crickets. I already said I would enjoy a discount, but I'm not holding my breath because I'm looking at the $30 as the discount. If they said $15 for those who have already purchased I'd really be happy.

But i agree that anyone who hasnt bought all content should certainly pay full price @ 30e/30$. Theres hours worth of new gameplay in the missing link. Where as the people who have played the game and dlc are getting a small visual upgrade and the >integration< of TML. We could argue back and forth about the boss battle changes (personally i had no problems with the boss battles to begin with)

I didn't have that much of an issue with boss battles but I see why others did. As for the rest of your statement, see above.

i dont think someone like you should even have a say in the matter to begin with on discounts or no discounts. if you havent got the missing link, then you are genuinely getting brand new ingame content, and hours of it at that. Looking at it from your perspective, id be excited for the hours of brand new gameplay. You should try and look at things from other peoples perspective.

I am looking at it from their perspective. Like many console owners who purchased it I paid $65. I am not saying those who purchased it (and additional dlc) shouldn't get a price cut which is also why I mentioned Capcom. Capcoms model is feasible, but because Capcom can do it doesn't mean EM can do it and that's the major problem here.

What if the directors cut was just the vanilla game ? (just say the missing link NEVER existed) and there was no new content for you with the D cut, only a visual boost.. would you pay $30 for it then ?

No. Because the upgraded visuals does not justify the price tag.

Shralla
26th Aug 2013, 02:53
It's a discount because they aren't charging $65 for the game. :)

$65? Where the hell do you live?

HERESY
26th Aug 2013, 02:55
$65? Where the hell do you live?

In California. Games are $59.99 and with tax it comes out to around $65. This is part of the reason why I'm envious of pc gamers. You guys get all the good deals, mods, etc. Console players are left in the dust.

chabbles
26th Aug 2013, 03:13
No. Because the upgraded visuals does not justify the price tag.

i rest my case.....:rolleyes:

HERESY
26th Aug 2013, 03:37
i rest my case.....:rolleyes:

You have no case. You're asking me if I would pay $30 for a game with a graphical overhaul and nothing more. This isn't an HD remake. Why in the hell would I do that? Reworked boss battles, different stages and other perks? Yes. Upgraded graphics? No.

You aren't making much sense.

chabbles
26th Aug 2013, 04:01
You have no case. You're asking me if I would pay $30 for a game with a graphical overhaul and nothing more. This isn't an HD remake. Why in the hell would I do that? Reworked boss battles, different stages and other perks? Yes. Upgraded graphics? No.

You aren't making much sense.

The reworked bosses ?, but you said that wasnt much of an issue with you.. different stages ? (for you yes, TML) and other "Perks" ???. your arguments are laughable.

--Edit "Ashpolt said: Other than the re-done boss fights, there is no new content in this game: it's an enhanced version rather than an expansion or remake. They've improved on Human Revolution, but not added to it."--

If TML never existed youd be in the same boat as the people who have bought and played all content, and would be basically getting an upgrade to visuals, And you said that wouldnt justify the purchase yourself..... but yet you will argue against someone who has purchased and played all content, who thinks a discount is in order...:mad2:

Like i said already, your ok with paying the asking price because of the hours of brand new gameplay youll get from TML integration, plus the visual boost. Your getting a great deal no doubt.

you can break my comment up into little chunks and reply with more gibberish, but thats all i have to say.

HERESY
26th Aug 2013, 05:06
The reworked bosses ?, but you said that wasnt much of an issue with you.. different stages ? (for you yes, TML) and other "Perks" ???. your arguments are laughable.

Another person who clearly doesn't read. A lot of you need to stop playing games and spend a bit more time reading because this is sad.

You asked me, "What if the directors cut was just the vanilla game ? (just say the missing link NEVER existed) and there was no new content for you with the D cut, only a visual boost.. would you pay $30 for it then?"

I'm telling you that NO, I would NOT pay $30 for "only a visual boost." No, the boss battles weren't an issue with me (refer to previous classic posts), but I can see how they were an issue for others. I said that I WOULD pay for them and other content but not for a graphic enhancement. There are no arguments. What we're seeing is your lack of critical reading and your inability to comprehend your own question, nothing more.

--Edit "Ashpolt said: Other than the re-done boss fights, there is no new content in this game: it's an enhanced version rather than an expansion or remake. They've improved on Human Revolution, but not added to it."--

http://www.giantbomb.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/3030-42021/
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/square-enix-details-all-changes-in-deus-ex-human-revolution-director%E2%80%99s-cut.452926875/

If TML never existed youd be in the same boat as the people who have bought and played all content, and would be basically getting an upgrade to visuals

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/square-enix-details-all-changes-in-deus-ex-human-revolution-director%E2%80%99s-cut.452926875/

And you said that wouldnt justify the purchase yourself..... but yet you will argue against someone who has purchased and played all content, who thinks a discount is in order...:mad2:

I'm starting to believe that you're either drunk, trolling or mentally impaired. I've already said, "If they said $15 for those who have already purchased I'd really be happy" and have said that my issue is with those who said the upgrade should be what? FREE! What I don't believe is that people should get the new content for free. Again, people in this thread and in other threads have stated we should get it for free. I've said that this is the only thing I see as a problem.

Why then are you not reading and saying that I'm arguing against people who want a discount? I'm NOT! I'm arguing against those who said it should be FREE.

Like i said already, your ok with paying the asking price because of the hours of brand new gameplay youll get from TML integration, plus the visual boost. Your getting a great deal no doubt.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4NTDcyLPPbA/UUcs114TTBI/AAAAAAAAAwE/2HYR58RfahQ/s320/captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

you can break my comment up into little chunks and reply with more gibberish, but thats all i have to say.

You're the one typing in a very incoherent fashion and not reading. You're the head honcho when it comes to gibberish, so I think you should refrain from speaking/typing.

Let me say it one more time, I am not against those who have purchased the game getting a discount. What I do not agree with is that the game should be FREE. If you can't understand this log off the net, put the controller down and go to school as there is nothing else I can do for you.

merrick97
26th Aug 2013, 18:35
Another person who clearly doesn't read. A lot of you need to stop playing games and spend a bit more time reading because this is sad.

You asked me, "What if the directors cut was just the vanilla game ? (just say the missing link NEVER existed) and there was no new content for you with the D cut, only a visual boost.. would you pay $30 for it then?"

I'm telling you that NO, I would NOT pay $30 for "only a visual boost." No, the boss battles weren't an issue with me (refer to previous classic posts), but I can see how they were an issue for others. I said that I WOULD pay for them and other content but not for a graphic enhancement. There are no arguments. What we're seeing is your lack of critical reading and your inability to comprehend your own question, nothing more.

I'm starting to believe that you're either drunk, trolling or mentally impaired. I've already said, "If they said $15 for those who have already purchased I'd really be happy" and have said that my issue is with those who said the upgrade should be what? FREE! What I don't believe is that people should get the new content for free. Again, people in this thread and in other threads have stated we should get it for free. I've said that this is the only thing I see as a problem.

Why then are you not reading and saying that I'm arguing against people who want a discount? I'm NOT! I'm arguing against those who said it should be FREE.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4NTDcyLPPbA/UUcs114TTBI/AAAAAAAAAwE/2HYR58RfahQ/s320/captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

You're the one typing in a very incoherent fashion and not reading. You're the head honcho when it comes to gibberish, so I think you should refrain from speaking/typing.

Let me say it one more time, I am not against those who have purchased the game getting a discount. What I do not agree with is that the game should be FREE. If you can't understand this log off the net, put the controller down and go to school as there is nothing else I can do for you.

This is great stuff.
I have no issue paying for the Directors Cut.

I just hope that it has its own set of achievements/trophies.

I probably wont pay $30 for it, but wait until there is a sale.

Reliken
27th Aug 2013, 20:13
I would not expect it to be free at all, but at a serious discount.

They are putting in a LOT of work to make this for us, and they have no obligation to whatsoever. They could have just let it lie. But instead, they are taking legitimate fan criticism to heart and are trying to give us a better product and fix what we complained about. That's amazing and is worth money.

I would expect there to be some sort of a system vaguely like:

$30 or $40 for a standalone game, if you are buying it from scratch

$15 or $20 if you have the original game, but no DLC, and are upgrading

$5 or $10 if you have the original game and DLC, and are upgrading

I think that would be more than fair, and would give Eidos Montreal well deserved compensation for their (hopefully!) incredible work.

merrick97
29th Aug 2013, 21:45

They are putting in a LOT of work to make this for us, and they have no obligation to whatsoever. They could have just let it lie. But instead, they are taking legitimate fan criticism to heart and are trying to give us a better product and fix what we complained about. That's amazing and is worth money.

I think that would be more than fair, and would give Eidos Montreal well deserved compensation for their (hopefully!) incredible work.

Id love a discount, but unless you own the PC version I have a hard time figuring out how they could give you a discount with a retail bought copy. They could do a rebate but those often get "lost" and take forever.

I also don't see how you can PROVE that you already own the game and didn't just rent it.

CyberP
30th Aug 2013, 01:12
They could have just let it lie. But instead, they are taking legitimate fan criticism to heart and are trying to give us a better product and fix what we complained about.

Who is "we"? About the only thing they appear to have "fixed" is the boss fights. The only new feature added from requests of so called "fans" is New Game+. There is nothing legitimate about the DC, it's all money-making. It's a director's cut....that's outsourced :lol: OK, EM are working alongside but all the changes make it even less of a Deus Ex experience. Shame really. It's why I wanted to make the Fan's Cut. Not sure why I cared, the abuse has gone too far.

SquareSoft, Ion Storm, Eidos, Core Design, Looking Glass Studios and so on. These guys were legends. They are now no more, so I should move on rather than being suckered in by a corporate entity that offers me inferior takes on the original masterpieces, Square-Enix's reboot quadathalon.

Psychomorph
2nd Sep 2013, 01:07
Hey, any news on DC? Am waiting my butt off here.

Darthassin
2nd Sep 2013, 09:14

Me 2.

merrick97
2nd Sep 2013, 13:02

Me 2.

November 15 per amazon.

It remains to be seen if that is 100% accurate.

Psychomorph
2nd Sep 2013, 13:53
Wow, thanks.

My local Amazon shop says WiiU version by the fall of October and PC version by the fall of December. Steam shop has no info yet. I hope we can get our hands on it in November.

Count D
3rd Sep 2013, 00:19
I don't expect it to be free, but it should be.

Psychomorph
3rd Sep 2013, 17:32
Amazon lists the PC price of 19,99 Euro for me. Less than half of full retail price, not that harsh. I hope it stays that way.

merrick97
5th Sep 2013, 14:18
I don't expect it to be free, but it should be.

No it shouldn't.

AlexOfSpades
5th Sep 2013, 18:14
No it shouldn't.

IN YOUR OPINION, it shouldnt. Yours.

Psychomorph
5th Sep 2013, 22:55
If they just repacked it, than it should have been free, but they put work into it to improve it, so it can't be free. Your choice not to buy it though.

Still the PC pricing I see so far is like an expansion pack, or even large DLC type of thing. The WiiU pricing is probably normal, since this is a brand new game for that device, but the other consoles and PC will come cheaper.

merrick97
6th Sep 2013, 13:55
IN YOUR OPINION, it shouldnt. Yours.

Entitled gamers think everything should be free.

What else is new?

Im sure you will respond with Witcher, Unreal Tournament, etc eventhough all of that has been responded to and debunked.

Shralla
6th Sep 2013, 19:31

Oh yes, I'm sure he thinks everything in the whole world should be free.

Im sure you will respond with Witcher, Unreal Tournament, etc eventhough all of that has been responded to and debunked.

No they haven't, regardless of how many times you try to insist otherwise. The only conclusive thing that's objectively true is "not every company needs to follow the lead of other companies." Yes, but they do if they want me to be their customer in the future, especially considering how utterly terrible Thief is turning out. Can't wait for the Director's Cut of Thief where they add freejumping, rebalance focus, and then expect people who already bought the game to pay for it again because they jacked development all up and need some way to make more money than they deserve.

HERESY
6th Sep 2013, 19:39
Oh yes, I'm sure he thinks everything in the whole world should be free.

He probably does. Remember, he's the same person that hasn't even PLAYED THE GAME!

No they haven't, regardless of how many times you try to insist otherwise.

Indeed they have.

The only conclusive thing that's objectively true is "not every company needs to follow the lead of other companies."

So in your infinite "wisdom" you think giving away free goods is going to solve what you think is a problem? LMAO! Never EVER go into business for yourself or with anyone else.

Yes, but they do if they want me to be their customer in the future, especially considering how utterly terrible Thief is turning out.

Various media outlets that have covered Thief said it was turning out great. Almost everyone in the contextual jumping thread have started to sing a new tune now that the devs have shed more light on the obvious.

Can't wait for the Director's Cut of Thief where they add freejumping, rebalance focus, and then expect people who already bought the game to pay for it again because they jacked development all up and need some way to make more money than they deserve.

See above, Entitled Shralla.

merrick97
6th Sep 2013, 20:01
Can't wait for the Director's Cut of Thief where they add freejumping, rebalance focus, and then expect people who already bought the game to pay for it again because they jacked development all up and need some way to make more money than they deserve.

I would be worried about this too.........

if there was an actual freakin PRECEDENT for it!

DE:HR DC aint that precedent regardless of what you think.

Shralla
6th Sep 2013, 20:02
So in your infinite "wisdom" you think giving away free goods is going to solve what you think is a problem? LMAO! Never EVER go into business for yourself or with anyone else.

No, that would be you who doesn't know the first thing about business or customer service.

Various media outlets that have covered Thief said it was turning out great.

First of all, not anywhere near all of them have come away saying it was turning out "great." In fact there have been dozens of articles saying that it's turning out schizophrenic, like it doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be, and everything we've heard about development backs that up. Rock, Paper, Shotgun said it looked like crap (with much more eloquence), and considering they're more likely to give an accurate report from an old school fan's perspective, I trust them more than any other publication.

Almost everyone in the contextual jumping thread have started to sing a new tune now that the devs have shed more light on the obvious.

And that is literally just a lie.

DE:HR DC aint that precedent regardless of what you think.

Uh... yeah, it is.

HERESY
6th Sep 2013, 20:15
No, that would be you who doesn't know the first thing about business or customer service.

The IRS believes otherwise. My bank accounts disagree with you. :)

First of all, not anywhere near all of them have come away saying it was turning out "great."

I never said anything about "all" so what exactly is your point? That not anywhere near all of them have come away saying it was not turning out great?

In fact there have been dozens of articles saying that it's turning out schizophrenic, like it doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be, and everything we've heard about development backs that up.

And there have been dozens of articles stating the exact opposite.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun said it looked like crap (with much more eloquence), and considering they're more likely to give an accurate report from an old school fan's perspective, I trust them more than any other publication.

RPS didn't say anything. Three of the writers from RPS have provided their take and they're all pretty much different. So which guy are you going to believe? Oh, the one that says something that supports your views/bias. Riiiiiiight.

And that is literally just a lie.

No it isn't. Go read the thread B1Skit posted and you'll see it. The devs answered the questions and now most people are singing a different tune. It's all there in black and white, I couldn't make this stuff up if my life depended on it.

AlexOfSpades
6th Sep 2013, 20:22

What else is new?

Funny, i dont recall saying explicitly that it should be free. I recall giving examples of companies that did it for free, but i didnt say my opinion in any moment. Speaking of which, Minecraft is about to get a huge update (1.7) adding several new features. Do you think it would be fair for Mojang to force people to re-purchase the game at full price to have the new update? Do you think they should even charge it at all? Because they havent. Its free, like all the other dozens of great updates the game had since release, every one of them adding a ton of content. For free. Guess they dont understand anything about business do they? Oh wait, the game sold almost twenty times more (literally) than Deus Ex HR. ALL OF MY LULZ

In my opinion, they should give the option for players to upgrade their versions to Director's Cut by a small fee through Steam, DLC-esque. They're addressing mostly old issues (AI, boss battles, textures) instead of adding actual new content (No new hubs, no new characters...) so its technically a patch, not an update. If they were honest they'd give it for free, but we ALL know that's not how Eidos rolls, so yeah at least give us an upgrade option. Its not honest, but... between you and me? That's Eidos' business model.

Now, my opinion on that business model is completely different...

If they charge full price for it again, i wont buy it.

merrick97
7th Sep 2013, 01:05
Funny, i dont recall saying explicitly that it should be free. I recall giving examples of companies that did it for free, but i didnt say my opinion in any moment. Speaking of which, Minecraft is about to get a huge update (1.7) adding several new features. Do you think it would be fair for Mojang to force people to re-purchase the game at full price to have the new update? Do you think they should even charge it at all? Because they havent. Its free, like all the other dozens of great updates the game had since release, every one of them adding a ton of content. For free. Guess they dont understand anything about business do they? Oh wait, the game sold almost twenty times more (literally) than Deus Ex HR. ALL OF MY LULZ

If I honestly have to explain to you the difference between updates for a game about BLOCK BUILDING and a full FPS/RPG tactical shooter then there is no sense in debating any of this with you. I am sure providing those Minecraft updates require the same amount of expense as providing the Directors Cut does. But why use common sense when it gets in the way of a good argument?!:scratch:

In my opinion, they should give the option for players to upgrade their versions to Director's Cut by a small fee through Steam, DLC-esque. They're addressing mostly old issues (AI, boss battles, textures) instead of adding actual new content (No new hubs, no new characters...) so its technically a patch, not an update. If they were honest they'd give it for free, but we ALL know that's not how Eidos rolls, so yeah at least give us an upgrade option. Its not honest, but... between you and me? That's Eidos' business model.

Now, my opinion on that business model is completely different...

If they charge full price for it again, i wont buy it.

First, its not going to be full price. Its $30 for the console version whether or not it has a discount package for previous owners that can be applied is unknown. Eidos hasn't said. I do think it would be a nice gesture if they did this, but they are not under any obligation to release the Directors Cut in the first place. That's what people FAIL TO UNDERSTAND. They're releasing it because they got feedback from the fanbase when the WiiU version was announced that we wanted one for the PC/360/PS3. The DC will NOT sell a lot of copies so it makes sense to charge $30 for it. I am not saying i LIKE that philosophy, but that's how business works.

Despite what others on this forum will tell you, the original Deus Ex HR is a complete game and a complete experience and was highly praised by critics and fans. It wasn't perfect, but NO GAME IS. This DC is the equivalent of a movie director going back and putting a directors cut of his film on bluray. There is going to be a charge for the directors cut there has not been ONE INSTANCE of a directors cut of a film being offered for free even if you purchased the original version of the film.

THat is what this is the equivalent of.

But as you said, if you dont want to pay for it you dont have to buy it. The original version still works and is perfectly playable.

Its one of those things that I will probably play, but the only way Ill consider paying more than $20 for it is if the DC is if we get a new achievement/trophy list.

AlexOfSpades
7th Sep 2013, 02:20
If I honestly have to explain to you the difference between updates for a game about BLOCK BUILDING and a full FPS/RPG tactical shooter then there is no sense in debating any of this with you. I am sure providing those Minecraft updates require the same amount of expense as providing the Directors Cut does. But why use common sense when it gets in the way of a good argument?!:scratch:

Well, if you sum up all the updates Minecraft got since launch i'd say yeah, its really a thing to behold. I mean i know DXHR is certainly much more complicated, but Minecraft so far had expansions that completely changed the game. Still i know, they dont have Square overseeing their sales and all.

First, its not going to be full price. Its $30 for the console version whether or not it has a discount package for previous owners that can be applied is unknown. Eidos hasn't said.

30 dollars for the full game? Not so bad. If we get a discount, i may buy it.

Despite what others on this forum will tell you, the original Deus Ex HR is a complete game and a complete experience and was highly praised by critics and fans. It wasn't perfect, but NO GAME IS. This DC is the equivalent of a movie director going back and putting a directors cut of his film on bluray. There is going to be a charge for the directors cut there has not been ONE INSTANCE of a directors cut of a film being offered for free even if you purchased the original version of the film.

Ahaha yeah i know, some forumites here make it sound like it was a tragedy, but i know its a pretty solid game. I loved it myself, just not one of my favorites. Maybe i had far too high expectations, but then who didnt? Deus Ex is considered to be the best game ever created by many gaming authorities, its sequel could be nothing short of an absolute masterpiece. We did get a great game, but those tiny little flaws are what this vocal minority is always talking about.

Its one of those things that I will probably play, but the only way Ill consider paying more than $20 for it is if the DC is if we get a new achievement/trophy list.

Haha, so that's what it would take for you to pay more? Man, i totally dont care about achievments, but that's just me. Say, what would you change in the achievment list? Or would you want a different one just to have more challenges to accomplish? Personally, i'd pay more than 10 U$ if we got a whole new hub. That would be pretty boss.

Disclaimer: i am intoxicated, i'm not responsible for the contents of this post, beer god take care of me

-Neon-
27th Sep 2013, 13:36
So, happened to walk into Gamestop last night. They've got the Directors Cut listed as releasing on 01/01/14 (placeholder date? Online site says 12/31 so my guess is "probably.") at $29.99.

Pixieking
30th Sep 2013, 15:01
Registered specially to post this, since, well, people might care?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Directors/dp/B00FB3UPB0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1380552966&sr=1-1&keywords=deus+ex

http://www.shopto.net/video%20games/pc/PCDE57-deus-ex-human-revolution-directors

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/deus-ex-human-revolution-director-s-cut/10856113.html

All state the 25th of October as the release date, which up til now hasn't been mentioned (so, not a placeholder, and not an "old news" release date). The price at Amazon also tallies with the under-$60 price that has been touted (the console versions there are also cheaper than the standard console price). Amazon.com have this listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Directors-Xbox/dp/B00DJ42EC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1380553071&sr=1-2&keywords=deus+ex

Which is 25th of November - As far as I know, that's been their placeholder date for awhile.

I'm fairly confident that it'll be out in October. :)

chabbles
1st Oct 2013, 13:26
Eidos, i really hope you consider releasing the directors cut on PS4/XB1, with pc quality visuals. The game deserves it, i would certainly have no problem double dipping on a ps4 version.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Oct 2013, 15:47
All state the 25th of October as the release date...

Woah. That's actually my birthday! :D

MasterTaffer
1st Oct 2013, 20:39
Woah. That's actually my birthday! :D

They kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeew... :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Oct 2013, 22:24
Such a shame we're not H+ already. Perhaps we could enjoy at least another 200 birthdays. :naughty:

EliParker
3rd Oct 2013, 13:07
I didn't want to make a whole new thread to ask a simple question.

Will PC users be given a free copy of Deus Ex: Fallen Angel, via steam?

Lyability
6th Oct 2013, 11:43
I can't believe PC owner's who already own TML are arguing that this should NOT be free. Shader fixes, power exploits, map glitches and fixing the boss fights.... for $20?! are you F'ing kidding me? You think I give a hoot about controller integration?!

I'm not entitled, just experienced. Could you imagine if ID charged for each balance tweak for Q3 back in the day? Yeah...... If they charged for fixes to the Beach map in RtCW?! IF epic charged for fixes to UT2k3/4? Do you know the nerd outraged that would happen back then? I guess we older gamers actually expected RESPECT from the developer. Those games would never have been the legacy they were.

The Director's cut for PC is called a PATCH. Never ever ever never have I had to pay for a PATCH, fixing things the developer should have fixed, especially a PATCH that took over a YEAR to be implemented. You guys are very screwed up in the head if you are a PC user, with TML, and pay for this.

Lyability
6th Oct 2013, 11:57

What else is new?

Witcher,UT/2k3/4, Q2/QW/Q3/Q4, RtCW. Enemy territiry, Return to Wolfinstein, Doom2/3, Fallout3/4, alan wake, assassin's creed1/2/3/brother hood, BAtman AA/AC, battlefield 1941/42/2/3/2142, Bioshock 1/2/3, Borderlands 1/2, Brink, Bulletstorm, C&C 1,2,3,4/generals/ Red alert, CoH 1/OF/ToV, Crysis 1/2/3, Dishonored, divinity, dragon age/awakenings, DA2, Elder scrolls (all of them)..... list goes on.

ALL of them received patches, tweaks, fixes, power/weapon adjustments, new maps/ character fixes, story line glitches, optimizations FOR FREE. IT was the dev's responsibility and obligation to ther customers to FIX their game.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. You have to be a gaming n00b. CoD:MW your first game?

JCpies
6th Oct 2013, 12:16
They're overhauling the game, not doing minor patches, as far as I'm aware. Your point would make sense if the original version was broken, but it's not. The Director's Cut also includes the DLC. Why would the DLC be paid and the Director's Cut be free? That wouldn't make sense.

Spades
6th Oct 2013, 12:29
new solutions to boss fights look pretty meh so far.

merrick97
7th Oct 2013, 11:28
Witcher,UT/2k3/4, Q2/QW/Q3/Q4, RtCW. Enemy territiry, Return to Wolfinstein, Doom2/3, Fallout3/4, alan wake, assassin's creed1/2/3/brother hood, BAtman AA/AC, battlefield 1941/42/2/3/2142, Bioshock 1/2/3, Borderlands 1/2, Brink, Bulletstorm, C&C 1,2,3,4/generals/ Red alert, CoH 1/OF/ToV, Crysis 1/2/3, Dishonored, divinity, dragon age/awakenings, DA2, Elder scrolls (all of them)..... list goes on.

ALL of them received patches, tweaks, fixes, power/weapon adjustments, new maps/ character fixes, story line glitches, optimizations FOR FREE. IT was the dev's responsibility and obligation to ther customers to FIX their game.

Explain to me what is broken in DXHR? Last time I played it I was able to make it through the entire game and did not encounter any game breaking bugs. Developers are obligated to fix game breaking bugs. They are NOT obligated EVER to go back into their game and fix questionable gameplay decisions.

DXHR is a complete experience as is. The Directors Cut spices it up which is not something that EM was under any obligation to make or release. Therefore you are NOT entitled to fix because it CANT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN. It can UPGRADE.

Your argument fails.

See? I can use big letters too!

I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. You have to be a gaming n00b. CoD:MW your first game?

No, I don't I am just smart and understand that times have changed and also have the intelligence the realize that costs of game development are much different and what could be provided for free years ago is not practical. Nice try though.

They're overhauling the game, not doing minor patches, as far as I'm aware. Your point would make sense if the original version was broken, but it's not. The Director's Cut also includes the DLC. Why would the DLC be paid and the Director's Cut be free? That wouldn't make sense.

I don't know why I am wasting my time responding. They keep saying the same old arguments.

"Developers should fix their game" - Argument fails because the game aint broken.
"______ released free stuff in the 90s" - Costs of development have increased dramatically.

But what can you do? Ill get this when it gets to dirt cheap.

CyberP
7th Oct 2013, 14:56
Yep, the Directors cut shouldn't be released for free, no doubt. It's more than a patch. Unfortunately most of those changes I believe are the wrong kind of changes so I doubt I'll be getting it. Still waiting for more details/after release though to make my final decision. If I am impressed I'll be sure to buy it new not second-hand.

Doom972
7th Oct 2013, 14:58
Actually, developers aren't even obligated to fix broken games. Many games have been released broken, and stayed broken.

Why do developers make these patches then? Because they want to make more games in the future, and they want people to buy them. That's also why great developers not only fix game breaking bugs and annoying glitches, but also balance and improve their games months (sometimes years) after release.

If EM would have moved to new projects - fair enough, the game is functional and enjoyable anyway. What actually happened is that they already fixed and enhanced what was needed when they made the WiiU version. At this point, holding out on existing customers who already bought game (it is the same game, not a new one) and demanding a re-purchase to get the updated version is a cash grab.

If you want to use the "this is a business and its goal is to make money" argument - fair enough. They can make money off people willing to buy their games twice, and I can just stop buying their games. I do believe that at least some people in EM want to be considered artists, rather than businessmen. I could be wrong about that last part, though.

Darthassin
7th Oct 2013, 15:26
We are in the morally grey area here. Meybe they will use this threat and build sidequest around it in next Deus Ex. Lol :D

Tverdyj
7th Oct 2013, 17:32
Explain to me what is broken in DXHR? Last time I played it I was able to make it through the entire game and did not encounter any game breaking bugs. Developers are obligated to fix game breaking bugs. They are NOT obligated EVER to go back into their game and fix questionable gameplay decisions.

DXHR is a complete experience as is. The Directors Cut spices it up which is not something that EM was under any obligation to make or release. Therefore you are NOT entitled to fix because it CANT FIX WHAT ISNT BROKEN. It can UPGRADE.

Your argument fails.

See? I can use big letters too!

No, I don't I am just smart and understand that times have changed and also have the intelligence the realize that costs of game development are much different and what could be provided for free years ago is not practical. Nice try though.

I don't know why I am wasting my time responding. They keep saying the same old arguments.

"Developers should fix their game" - Argument fails because the game aint broken.
"______ released free stuff in the 90s" - Costs of development have increased dramatically.

But what can you do? Ill get this when it gets to dirt cheap.

see CDPRed. They did this last year. your argument is invalid, :p

EDIT: it's also questionable whether HR was a "complete experience"... what with TML slotted in the middle so disjointedly-like

merrick97
7th Oct 2013, 20:35
see CDPRed. They did this last year. your argument is invalid, :p

This argument is getting so tiresome.
One company did it, so I guess that means every other company is obligated to do this too? Right.
Please let EA, Ubisoft, Activision and Take 2 know. I would have loved to have gotten free DLC for Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space games, Assassins Creed.
Don't get me wrong there are TONS of things that go in with gaming companies that I dont like (Day 1 DLC, DLC that should have been in the main game, etc.), but releasing the DC and charging people for it (whether its full price or at a discount for previous purchasers) is not one of those. That's how I feel.

EDIT: it's also questionable whether HR was a "complete experience"... what with TML slotted in the middle so disjointedly-like

I can actually see some merit to this argument.

Either way, the game wasn't "broken" like so many in this thread foolishly claim.

Actually, developers aren't even obligated to fix broken games. Many games have been released broken, and stayed broken.

Why do developers make these patches then? Because they want to make more games in the future, and they want people to buy them. That's also why great developers not only fix game breaking bugs and annoying glitches, but also balance and improve their games months (sometimes years) after release.
For me one thing I DO demand from developers is that they support their products and deliver a complete a experience from my original $60 purchase. DXHR did just that IMO and judging by most of the reviews, most people share that view. The Missing Link never felt necessary.

If EM would have moved to new projects - fair enough, the game is functional and enjoyable anyway. What actually happened is that they already fixed and enhanced what was needed when they made the WiiU version. At this point, holding out on existing customers who already bought game (it is the same game, not a new one) and demanding a re-purchase to get the updated version is a cash grab.

If you want to use the "this is a business and its goal is to make money" argument - fair enough. They can make money off people willing to buy their games twice, and I can just stop buying their games. I do believe that at least some people in EM want to be considered artists, rather than businessmen. I could be wrong about that last part, though.
But nobody is forcing you to buy the game twice. Like you said, the new content is not really significant it is still the same game.

EM never intended to release this game on systems other than the Wii U. They decided to release it after people made it known that there was a demand for it on other systems.

In regards to your comment about EM being artists they ARE artists. But artists don't work for free.

HERESY
7th Oct 2013, 21:53
Capcom didn't release SSFIV for free. They charged. Capcom is not releasing Ultra SSFIV for free. They're charging $15 if you have SSFIV or SFIV.

Just because company A has a business model of giving you free stuff doesn't mean company B has to utilize the same business model.

Get it straight.

Tverdyj
7th Oct 2013, 21:56
One company did it, so I guess that means every other company is obligated to do this too? Right.
Please let EA, Ubisoft, Activision and Take 2 know. I would have loved to have gotten free DLC for Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space games, Assassins Creed.
Don't get me wrong there are TONS of things that go in with gaming companies that I dont like (Day 1 DLC, DLC that should have been in the main game, etc.), but releasing the DC and charging people for it (whether its full price or at a discount for previous purchasers) is not one of those. That's how I feel.

Either way, the game wasn't "broken" like so many in this thread foolishly claim.

For me one thing I DO demand from developers is that they support their products and deliver a complete a experience from my original $60 purchase. DXHR did just that IMO and judging by most of the reviews, most people share that view. The Missing Link never felt necessary.

But nobody is forcing you to buy the game twice. Like you said, the new content is not really significant it is still the same game.

EM never intended to release this game on systems other than the Wii U. They decided to release it after people made it known that there was a demand for it on other systems.

In regards to your comment about EM being artists they ARE artists. But artists don't work for free.

just FYI, 2K just gave me Minerva's Den DLC free on Steam, because I owned Bioshock2 and they patched out GaFWL, since keeping it in the game would make the game "broken", given how that spawn of Satan is finally getting put to sleep by M$oft....

But no, no one's saying "everyone HAS to do it". it's just that when there are people that DO it, (and in case of CDPRed, on a regular basis), you will inevitably get comments of "why doesn't the rest of the industry do it?". and the rest of the industry doesn't have to follow CDPRed's glorious example, but then they shouldn't be surprised when people make unfavourable comparisons.

I agree wrt to "broken games". I'd love for SEGA to give Obsidian a chance to patch Alpha Protocol.
compared to AP, HR wasn't a "broken" game. It was quite flawed (numerous reasons--TML was developed on a diff. engine version, boss battles were outsourced to a team of bloody morons), but it wasn't "functionally broken".

That being said, I may get DC down the road. When it's on a major Steam Sale.

Doom972
8th Oct 2013, 00:04

I never said I was being forced. Don't put words in my mouth. I was talking about having to buy the game again to get the updated version.
I know that they only intended to release it for the WiiU originally. What's your point?

Artists don't do any work for free? That's just false. I won't go into detail because there are too many forms of art to cover. Game developers (the kind of artist that's relevant to this discussion), are expected (not obligated) to fix and also enhance their game to a certain extent - for free (At least as far as the consumer is concerned). That extent is up for debate and I'll not argue your opinion on the matter. We have different standards and expectations in that regard.

Again, if the WiiU version didn't have those fixes and enhancements, I would've said nothing. My point is that there's no reason not update the other versions with the fixes and enhancements that the WiiU version has.

Tverdyj
8th Oct 2013, 00:54
I'll interject the artist debate here and point out that in game development, this point is generally moot because pricing and such is set by the publishers.

So really, we should be directing our dissapointment and "others can do it better" at squeeenix, not at EM

neonfish
8th Oct 2013, 10:11
Anybody knows about the upgrade thing something? I dont see DEHR-DC in steam as preorder. Will it be available via STEAM as an upgrade or we have to buy it as a complete new game . I believe an upgrade is not possible as it seems to be completely rebuilt.So iam guessing there wont be a STEAM upgrade.

Darthassin
8th Oct 2013, 10:52
Anybody knows about the upgrade thing something? I dont see DEHR-DC in steam as preorder. Will it be available via STEAM as an upgrade or we have to buy it as a complete new game . I believe an upgrade is not possible as it seems to be completely rebuilt.So iam guessing there wont be a STEAM upgrade.

Yeah, I have been checking steam since they announced release date and still nothing.

neonfish
8th Oct 2013, 13:36
seems like someone called SE customer support and they told him this is a separate product...I ve read it on the internet take it with a grain of salt.

merrick97
9th Oct 2013, 12:33
Artists don't do any work for free? That's just false. I won't go into detail because there are too many forms of art to cover. Game developers (the kind of artist that's relevant to this discussion), are expected (not obligated) to fix and also enhance their game to a certain extent - for free (At least as far as the consumer is concerned). That extent is up for debate and I'll not argue your opinion on the matter. We have different standards and expectations in that regard.

Correction: Game artists don't work for free. They put in a TON of hours and game development is often not a lot of fun since it requires grueling hours and such.

I couldn't disagree more. I do not under any circumstances feel a developer is obligated to ENHANCE their games.
Fix bugs? Absolutely.

From what I gather, the game engine had to be rebuilt to an extent and that is not an easy thing to do.
I would LIKE to get the DC for free since I purchased the game, but I do not feel obligated or entitled to get it for free and I have no problem with them selling it for $30. I will not be paying $30 for it, but will likely pick it up when it goes on a cheap sale, which it will. I do feel that it would be a good faith gesture to offer a rebate/price discount for those who have purchased the DC and owned the original copy.

AlexOfSpades
9th Oct 2013, 13:32
Hi,

I'd like to know how many new hubs, weapons and quests we're getting with the new Director's Cut. Since we're getting charged, then i suppose we're getting new content. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks

JCpies
9th Oct 2013, 13:35
You get Burke's gold spinny handgun thing, what's it called? Revolver.

AlexOfSpades
9th Oct 2013, 13:55
You get Burke's gold spinny handgun thing, what's it called? Revolver.

Dont you get that already in TML?

JCpies
9th Oct 2013, 14:05
Yes, but it's useless, you get it at the end of the game. In Director's Cut I think you can keep it.

So it's worth paying again imo.

AlexOfSpades
9th Oct 2013, 14:07
Yes, but it's useless, you get it at the end of the game. In Director's Cut I think you can keep it.

So it's worth paying again imo.

Ah, nice, i get a retexture of a gun. Definitely worth paying 30 dollars then. 10/10 would pay again.

Oppopji
9th Oct 2013, 21:11
I intend to get the DC, but I'll most likely wait for a Steam sale as I already have the original game (collector's edition) and TML. Although if it gets released on GOG.com then I'll buy it there as soon as it's available.

Tverdyj
10th Oct 2013, 00:00
I intend to get the DC, but I'll most likely wait for a Steam sale as I already have the original game (collector's edition) and TML. Although if it gets released on GOG.com then I'll buy it there as soon as it's available.

This would be great, but I highly doubt it. Squeeenix luuuuuurves their DRM, they do

Doom972
10th Oct 2013, 04:16
Correction: Game artists don't work for free. They put in a TON of hours and game development is often not a lot of fun since it requires grueling hours and such.

I couldn't disagree more. I do not under any circumstances feel a developer is obligated to ENHANCE their games.
Fix bugs? Absolutely.

Read the entire thing before replying, especially this sentence:

"Game developers (the kind of artist that's relevant to this discussion), are expected (not obligated) to fix and also enhance their game to a certain extent - for free"

In case you decided to ignore that part again to make your argument, I'll point out that I said EXPECTED.

From what I gather, the game engine had to be rebuilt to an extent and that is not an easy thing to do.
I would LIKE to get the DC for free since I purchased the game, but I do not feel obligated or entitled to get it for free and I have no problem with them selling it for $30. I will not be paying $30 for it, but will likely pick it up when it goes on a cheap sale, which it will. I do feel that it would be a good faith gesture to offer a rebate/price discount for those who have purchased the DC and owned the original copy.

Doesn't seem entirely rebuilt to me. Seems like the same game with certain enhancement - enough t make it better, but not enough to call it an expansion and asking for money. If you're fine with buying the same game multiple times, that's fine - don't expect the rest of us to agree.

merrick97
10th Oct 2013, 10:01
Read the entire thing before replying, especially this sentence:

"Game developers (the kind of artist that's relevant to this discussion), are expected (not obligated) to fix and also enhance their game to a certain extent - for free"

In case you decided to ignore that part again to make your argument, I'll point out that I said EXPECTED.
Expected? Obligated? Close enough. If it makes you feel better. Fine.

Doesn't seem entirely rebuilt to me. Seems like the same game with certain enhancement - enough t make it better, but not enough to call it an expansion and asking for money. If you're fine with buying the same game multiple times, that's fine - don't expect the rest of us to agree.

My quote said rebuilt to an extent, which would imply "doesn't seem entirely rebuilt to me" :rasp:

Its not an expansion though. Its a complete game and a complete experience. The good news is you have the choice to not buy it and the developers had the choice to not make it. Its very rare that developers will take the time and go back to a game that was previously completed two years ago and improve up the things that people criticized. Having said that, is this something I want to see game developers do for games in the future? I am not so sure on that one.

Doom972
10th Oct 2013, 13:53
Expected? Obligated? Close enough. If it makes you feel better. Fine.

Obligated means that they took it upon themselves to do it. Expected means that other people think that they should do it.

My quote said rebuilt to an extent, which would imply "doesn't seem entirely rebuilt to me" :rasp:

You got me there. You lose points for :rasp: though.

Its not an expansion though. Its a complete game and a complete experience. The good news is you have the choice to not buy it and the developers had the choice to not make it. Its very rare that developers will take the time and go back to a game that was previously completed two years ago and improve up the things that people criticized. Having said that, is this something I want to see game developers do for games in the future? I am not so sure on that one.

I already bought the game back when it came out, it's a complete game and a complete experience that I already paid for, with an update. It's true that most developers won't support a game for that long, but I would expect no less from developers who took it upon themselves to revive the Deus Ex franchise.

I would like to mention again that if they had decided not to make the DC at all for any platform, it would be fine. But if one platform gets an update, the rest should as well - at no extra charge.

merrick97
10th Oct 2013, 14:09
I would like to mention again that if they had decided not to make the DC at all for any platform, it would be fine.

We're on the same page here. I never asked for the DC. I am quite happy with the current experience it provided me. The game had its issues but every game has its issues. However, I was pretty happy to see the DC get released when I saw what it fixed.

That is what I feel people fail to understand and is the main reason why I feel the "it should be free" argument has no merit. EM originally had no intention of releasing the DC on PC/360/PS3. Only after people complained that the Wii U was getting the Directors Cut did EM relent and decide to port it over to PC/360/PS3. It would be one thing if EM released the DC mere months after the original. However, its a 2+ year old game that people have long stopped playing.

But if one platform gets an update, the rest should as well - at no extra charge.
All platforms are getting the update. I don't understand what you are saying here.

One thing that I DO feel is unfair is the fact that the Wii U version cost $50 while the other versions cost $30. It sucks that the Wii U crowd has to pay more.

Anyway, the DC cost $30 on release day. Its guaranteed to drop in price and should be available for $15 or less in a few months. It will also likely go for $5 at some point on Steam. Ill wait for those prices.

Oppopji
10th Oct 2013, 16:02
This would be great, but I highly doubt it. Squeeenix luuuuuurves their DRM, they do

Well Square Enix has signed up with GOG and released 26 games there already (http://www.gog.com/games##devpub=square_enix), so I'm hoping we can get DXHR DC released there too.

68_pie
10th Oct 2013, 16:12
Well Square Enix has signed up with GOG and released 26 games there already (http://www.gog.com/games##devpub=square_enix), so I'm hoping we can get DXHR DC released there too.

You're comparing a game that hasn't been released yet to games that are, in gaming terms, ancient. It's not going to happen.

Oppopji
10th Oct 2013, 16:55
You're comparing a game that hasn't been released yet to games that are, in gaming terms, ancient. It's not going to happen.

Well actually this is a re-release of a 2-year old game, just with some updated features/enhancements.

But anyway my point is that Square Enix already have a business relationship & contracts signed with GOG for other games, so there shouldn't be any obstacle to them releasing DXHR DC there.

Darthassin
10th Oct 2013, 17:14
Well actually this is a re-release of a 2-year old game, just with some updated features/enhancements.

But anyway my point is that Square Enix already have a business relationship & contracts signed with GOG for other games, so there shouldn't be any obstacle to them releasing DXHR DC there.

We can only hope, because I'd buy DXHRDC on GOG asap.

68_pie
10th Oct 2013, 18:33

The most recent game on that list is, what, from 2004? It's not going to happen in any reasonable timeframe.

Oppopji
10th Oct 2013, 20:39
The most recent game on that list is, what, from 2004? It's not going to happen in any reasonable timeframe.

Maybe, maybe not. But just because SE haven't released any of their more recent games on GOG *yet*, that doesn't mean that they won't at some point, or that we shouldn't ask for them to release their newer games on GOG and make it clear to them that there is demand.

Doom972
11th Oct 2013, 02:41
We're on the same page here. I never asked for the DC. I am quite happy with the current experience it provided me. The game had its issues but every game has its issues. However, I was pretty happy to see the DC get released when I saw what it fixed.

That is what I feel people fail to understand and is the main reason why I feel the "it should be free" argument has no merit. EM originally had no intention of releasing the DC on PC/360/PS3. Only after people complained that the Wii U was getting the Directors Cut did EM relent and decide to port it over to PC/360/PS3. It would be one thing if EM released the DC mere months after the original. However, its a 2+ year old game that people have long stopped playing.

If the WiiU gets an updated version of the game, that update should applied for the rest of the versions, so once they decided to release the DC for the WiiU, the right thing to do was to provide the update for the other platforms - at o extra charge, like any patch (even a big patch).

By the way, Deus Ex was released in 2000, while its GOTY edition which included many bug fixes, multiplayer, and an editor, was released is 2002. The GOTY update was available at no extra charge for all those who had previously bought Deus Ex.

All platforms are getting the update. I don't understand what you are saying here.

Again you didn't read all the way - I said at no extra charge. That is left to be seen.

One thing that I DO feel is unfair is the fact that the Wii U version cost $50 while the other versions cost $30. It sucks that the Wii U crowd has to pay more.

I agree with you on that one. I think that their reasoning is that it's a new game for the WiiU, while it's a rerelease for the rest of the platforms

merrick97
11th Oct 2013, 04:43
If the WiiU gets an updated version of the game, that update should applied for the rest of the versions, so once they decided to release the DC for the WiiU, the right thing to do was to provide the update for the other platforms - at o extra charge, like any patch (even a big patch).

Consoles get exclusive content ALL the time. 360 games get exclusive content. PS3 games get exclusive content. This is nothing new and has been going since the beginning of this gen. You may not like it, but EM is certainly not the first to do it.

In a way its kind of a shame for the Wii U to no longer exclusively have the definitive version of DXHR. Nintendo cant catch a break when it comes to third parties.

By the way, Deus Ex was released in 2000, while its GOTY edition which included many bug fixes, multiplayer, and an editor, was released is 2002. The GOTY update was available at no extra charge for all those who had previously bought Deus Ex.

A completely irrelevant situation. The amount of money, time and effort required to make the GOTY edition for Deus Ex is MUCH MUCH less than getting new content this day and age for DXHR. Making the GotY edition for was probably done by a mere couple of people, while making this DXHR DC probably took a team of anywhere from 30-100 people. I have no idea on that one, but it goes without saying that the manpower needed was much higher.

Now one example of something that WOULD be a valid comparison would be the Mass Effect 3 ending extended cut. That was provided for free and not something that Bioware was entitled to give despite the fact that it was one of the worst endings in the history of video games.

Karpaw
11th Oct 2013, 16:28
So the pricing for the Steam version of the DC has been revealed (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/dxhr-%E2%80%93-director%E2%80%99s-cut-pc-digital-release-details):

New purchase (if you don’t already have the game): £12.99/€19.99/$19.99
Own the basic game (with no DLC): £6.99/€7.99/$9.99
Own the game and Missing Link DLC: £3.49/€3.99/$4.99

Weeeelll shiiiiiit, that's really a pittance. You're good for this one, SE.

vallux
11th Oct 2013, 16:45
I am okay with this.

JCpies
11th Oct 2013, 17:29
I think I am okay with this too.

Shame I've played the game so much already.

THC 303
11th Oct 2013, 17:42
b-b-but square is so evil and wants to rip everyone off r-right guys?

JCpies
11th Oct 2013, 19:40
Were you paid by Squeidos to post something sarcastic like that? :p

chabbles
11th Oct 2013, 20:03
So the pricing for the Steam version of the DC has been revealed (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/dxhr-%E2%80%93-director%E2%80%99s-cut-pc-digital-release-details):

Now thats what im talkin about. Nice one Eidos! :thumb:
I know them prices are taken from the pc version, what are the chances we'll see something similar on psn/xbl ?
If these prices are on PSN ill pick it up day one.

Oppopji
11th Oct 2013, 20:20

Looks very reasonable to me, at £3.49 I'll buy it as soon as it's available... I would easily pay the full $20 if it comes to GOG though :p

merrick97
11th Oct 2013, 20:55
Looks very reasonable to me, at £3.49 I'll buy it as soon as it's available... I would easily pay the full $20 if it comes to GOG though :p

Whats with the hard on for GOG?

Steam is just fine.

I could understand being upset if it was Uplay or Origin, but steam?

Ashpolt
12th Oct 2013, 00:12
Brilliant pricing. Now a day one purchase for me, even though I most likely won't have time to actually play it until...ermm....probably the real year 2027.

Oppopji
12th Oct 2013, 00:48
Whats with the hard on for GOG?

Steam is just fine.

I could understand being upset if it was Uplay or Origin, but steam?

Because I hate DRM and like to buy things DRM-free whenever possible, and all of GOG's games are DRM-free - it's their main selling point, even - so I usually prefer to buy games there, even if it costs more.

I'm not upset; I do tolerate Steam (never going to touch Uplay or Origin though...) and it is a good service, but I greatly prefer DRM-free & will generally pay less for anything that is encumbered with DRM.

Shralla
12th Oct 2013, 00:51
Sucks for console people who have to pay $30 regardless of whether they bought the game originally or not.

merrick97
12th Oct 2013, 04:53
Because I hate DRM and like to buy things DRM-free whenever possible, and all of GOG's games are DRM-free - it's their main selling point, even - so I usually prefer to buy games there, even if it costs more.

I'm not upset; I do tolerate Steam (never going to touch Uplay or Origin though...) and it is a good service, but I greatly prefer DRM-free & will generally pay less for anything that is encumbered with DRM.

Don't hold your breath about seeing it on GOG any time soon.

Deus Ex is not encumbered by DRM.....I dont get this hyperbole.

Berr
12th Oct 2013, 06:55

Wow do you have a crystal ball or what? You pretty much got it dead on. Except SE were more generous with lower price points for each group. Nice work! :D

CyberP
12th Oct 2013, 07:00
Wow do you have a crystal ball or what? You pretty much got it dead on. Except SE were more generous with lower price points for each group. Nice work! :D

Market Researchers, they likely browse the forum from time to time ;)

Still no legitimate fan criticism worked on in the DC though, definitely no crystal ball there. It's all done by popular opinion: Highlighting= made an option. Boss fights= fixed. New Game + = Implemented. OK, the first two are legitimate but there are definitely more things in need of fixing/implementing than a ******* pitiful New Game + mode, something that modders/hackers have essentially already made for PC (and that's all they did, useless lot :)...except that one rebalancing mod, though it was a little extreme).

ZakKa89
12th Oct 2013, 09:21
that cheap? wow...
I own both dehr and the missing link so this is a no-brainer

EricaLeeV
12th Oct 2013, 13:21
Sucks for console people who have to pay $30 regardless of whether they bought the game originally or not.

Yeah, I have the game on PS3 + DLC.

If I feel like playing DXHR again though I wouldn't mind paying that price via Steam though for a nice shiny PC version. Good job guys!

Oppopji
12th Oct 2013, 14:50
Don't hold your breath about seeing it on GOG any time soon.

Deus Ex is not encumbered by DRM.....I dont get this hyperbole.

Well no, Deus Ex isn't encumbered by DRM, I even have that one on GOG already, along with IW :p DXHR however *is* encumbered by DRM, nothing hyperbolic about it. DXHR is tethered to the Steam client without which you cannot install or play the game, and it requires a 'net connection so it can authenticate online before it will let you install and play it.

Meanwhile,

GOG games are not tied to any client software
GOG games do not require online authentication in order to install and/or play them
If a patch is released for a GOG game that introduces serious issues (bugs, crashes, other performance issues) then you can simply choose to decline the patch/roll back and continue playing the previous version
If GOG were to disappear or you were left without a 'net connection for an indefinite length of time then you'd still be able to install and play all of the games you've bought and downloaded from them, even after a complete system reinstall or on an entirely new system

merrick97
12th Oct 2013, 15:03
Well no, Deus Ex isn't encumbered by DRM, I even have that one on GOG already, along with IW :p DXHR however *is* encumbered by DRM, nothing hyperbolic about it. DXHR is tethered to the Steam client without which you cannot install or play the game, and it requires a 'net connection so it can authenticate online before it will let you install and play it.

You do realize that you DO need an internet connection to download the game from GOG, right?
As for it being tethered to a Steam client. Big deal. You can install Steam on as many computers as you want.
Steam even has an offline mode enables you to play if your net connection goes down. You can also back up the games, too.

Meanwhile,

GOG games are not tied to any client software -
GOG games do not require online authentication in order to install and/or play them
If a patch is released for a GOG game that introduces serious issues (bugs, crashes, other performance issues) then you can simply choose to decline the patch/roll back and continue playing the previous version
If GOG were to disappear or you were left without a 'net connection for an indefinite length of time then you'd still be able to install and play all of the games you've bought and downloaded from them, even after a complete system reinstall or on an entirely new system

1st point - True, but Steam is about as unintrusive as it gets.
2nd point - No, but it DOES require you to be online to download it.
3rd point - fair enough
4th point - You can do this with steam too. Steam does have an offline mode.

Oppopji
12th Oct 2013, 15:33
You do realize that you DO need an internet connection to download the game from GOG, right?
2nd point - No, but it DOES require you to be online to download it.

Yes, but downloading and installing are two different things. If you buy a physical copy of game from a store (or order it & have it delivered) do you consider the journey home/delivery to be part of the install process?

Once you've downloaded a game from GOG you need never go online for it again as long as you keep the downloaded installer safe.

As for it being tethered to a Steam client. Big deal. You can install Steam on as many computers as you want.

Yes, and you have to be online on each of them to authenticate and install/patch any games.

1st point - True, but Steam is about as unintrusive as it gets.

But still not as unintrusive as DRM-free.

Steam even has an offline mode enables you to play if your net connection goes down. You can also back up the games, too.
4th point - You can do this with steam too. Steam does have an offline mode.

Yes it does, but it's notoriously temperamental, working for some but not for others (and of course working for some at first only to later screw them when they have no connection & really need it to work). Also, AFAIK you can't install/reinstall any games (or restore from backup) in offline mode, and you certainly can't install on a new system/fresh OS install without going online to authenticate and check for/download the latest patches.

JCpies
12th Oct 2013, 20:22
Ah yes, I remember when I used to hate Steam. Good times.

vallux
12th Oct 2013, 20:52
I remember reading a Half Life 2 review back in 2004 and how it mentioned this new system that will complicate people's lives with it's online activation requirements. I got the HL2 GOTY in 2006 - never had any real issues. Now I can't stop dropping money on Steam and I will get the 4€ upgrade when it comes out.

Oppopji
12th Oct 2013, 21:18
If I hated Steam I wouldn't have a Steam library of over 380 games (even if most are from things like Humble Bundles etc.) :p I used to avoid it completely, until Valve convinced me to give it a try a few years ago by giving away free copies of Portal. Because of my experience with that I decided I would tolerate Steam - I hate the DRM aspect, but aside from that it does typically provide a good service and offers some convenient features, plus some very good deals during sales - but I still strongly prefer to buy games DRM-free.

Caradoc
14th Oct 2013, 08:46
I raise my hat to you to Sirs! Very reasonable pricing. Thank you, i'm happy that orginal game + dlc owners got a better offer. I'll be sure to upgrade my copy of dx:hr :)

Hopefully this trend continues.

chabbles
14th Oct 2013, 17:47

It will suck for Eidos as much in direct proportion.
Reading through different forums on the net, not alot of people willing to pay again it seems.
I would of happily payed again if they had ported the PC DC version to PS4 as a launch title.

PS3 owner of DXHR + ML.... ill wait for the reviews and comparisons to see if its worth the 30e for DC, but will probably just play through the vanilla one more time before the ps4 drops.

Doom972
24th Oct 2013, 01:59
Consoles get exclusive content ALL the time. 360 games get exclusive content. PS3 games get exclusive content. This is nothing new and has been going since the beginning of this gen. You may not like it, but EM is certainly not the first to do it.

I don't see how that makes it right, or acceptable.

In a way its kind of a shame for the Wii U to no longer exclusively have the definitive version of DXHR. Nintendo cant catch a break when it comes to third parties.

If they would actually hand out prototypes to developers and ask for feedback as they develop a console, they might get that 3rd party support they need. But Nintendo just loves to be different.

A completely irrelevant situation. The amount of money, time and effort required to make the GOTY edition for Deus Ex is MUCH MUCH less than getting new content this day and age for DXHR. Making the GotY edition for was probably done by a mere couple of people, while making this DXHR DC probably took a team of anywhere from 30-100 people. I have no idea on that one, but it goes without saying that the manpower needed was much higher.

This part seems to be based on absolutely nothing.

Now one example of something that WOULD be a valid comparison would be the Mass Effect 3 ending extended cut. That was provided for free and not something that Bioware was entitled to give despite the fact that it was one of the worst endings in the history of video games.

EA/Bioware realized that they screwed it up, and decided to fix it at no extra charge, because they want people to keep buying their games. That's what forward-thinking publishers/developers do. A rare example of EA actually doing the right thing.

merrick97
24th Oct 2013, 12:04
I don't see how that makes it right, or acceptable.

Cry me a river.

If they would actually hand out prototypes to developers and ask for feedback as they develop a console, they might get that 3rd party support they need. But Nintendo just loves to be different.

I wouldn't know.

This part seems to be based on absolutely nothing.

What do you mean "based on nothing?" I provided you with a perfectly valid reason in saying that developing content for a game that was made 13 YEARS AGO is going to cost less than developing content does now. There is no "based on nothing" about that. While, I dont agree with the stance that many of the "I should get the DC content free" are taking I can at least see where they are coming from. I have no idea how you can validate such a ridiculous asinine statement.

EA/Bioware realized that they screwed it up, and decided to fix it at no extra charge, because they want people to keep buying their games. That's what forward-thinking publishers/developers do. A rare example of EA actually doing the right thing.

The exception, not the norm. Play the original version that you paid for and enjoy it.

HERESY
25th Oct 2013, 02:54

No, that's what cowards who don't stand by their artistic vision and merit do. It's what the companies who put the bottom line over creativity do.

And don't think for one second that EM or ANY game company out there is "doing the right thing" ebcause they care about you. They don't.

Tverdyj
25th Oct 2013, 14:18
No, that's what cowards who don't stand by their artistic vision and merit do. It's what the companies who put the bottom line over creativity do.

And don't think for one second that EM or ANY game company out there is "doing the right thing" ebcause they care about you. They don't.

now, admittedly I'm yet to play any of the ME games, but since I don't live under a rock, i couldn't help but overhear the rage over ME3. As far as I understood, it wasn't so much that BioWare wanted to tell their own "artistic vision" conclusion, but more of the fact that said conclusion directly contradicted all those things Bioware themselves endorsed and emphasized as hallmarks of the series--namely the "your every choice matters" mantra.

In that particular case, the devs backed out of what they promised. Then public backlash made them edit the ending to put it more in line with the expectations they themselves created, advertised and promoted. Cowardly, perhaps, but there's questions about the stepping away from those expectations in the first place (by making the original ending): is the "freedom to pursue a vision" justifiable enough reason to "go against earleir self-established principles"? Clearly the public valuer the latter more.

sonicsidewinder
25th Oct 2013, 17:08
Does the Directors Cut allow you to filter on/off the cheat DLC?

aka, the free 10k credits, Silenced Rifle & Hunting Shotgun when starting the game?

I'd prefer the option. In-fact i'd prefer to start without the money and for the weapons to be worked into the game naturally.

I remember the Whisperhead being hidden in secret areas.

Triangletooth
25th Oct 2013, 17:11
Does the Directors Cut allow you to filter on/off the cheat DLC?

aka, the free 10k credits, Silenced Rifle & Hunting Shotgun when starting the game?

I'd prefer the option. In-fact i'd prefer to start without the money and for the weapons to be worked into the game naturally.

I remember the Whisperhead being hidden in secret areas.

The Whisperhead and Hunting Shotgun are 'hidden' in the first level, the 10k credits no longer exist.

sonicsidewinder
25th Oct 2013, 17:42
The Whisperhead and Hunting Shotgun are 'hidden' in the first level, the 10k credits no longer exist.

Music to my ears. :D

Nice one EM!

Biebo
25th Oct 2013, 18:33
In the original game there was an option to change the text language, for people who want to enjoy the original english audio with translated text. The DC doesn't have that anymore. What kind of crap is that?

I also encountered several bugs that were patched in the original game. Somehow i get the feeling the DC was build on an old release.

I paid 4.99€ to upgrade my game to a "final" version of this game. And now i have to deal with old stuff that was already fixed in the original release?

I'm highly disappointed!

HERESY
25th Oct 2013, 19:04
now, admittedly I'm yet to play any of the ME games, but since I don't live under a rock, i couldn't help but overhear the rage over ME3. As far as I understood, it wasn't so much that BioWare wanted to tell their own "artistic vision" conclusion, but more of the fact that said conclusion directly contradicted all those things Bioware themselves endorsed and emphasized as hallmarks of the series--namely the "your every choice matters" mantra.

In that particular case, the devs backed out of what they promised. Then public backlash made them edit the ending to put it more in line with the expectations they themselves created, advertised and promoted. Cowardly, perhaps, but there's questions about the stepping away from those expectations in the first place (by making the original ending): is the "freedom to pursue a vision" justifiable enough reason to "go against earleir self-established principles"? Clearly the public valuer the latter more.

As a person who has played and beaten the entire series at least 4 times, I can say that IMHO the criticisms by fans were unjustified.