PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would you pay for an SDK for a future Deus Ex title?

WildcatPhoenix
15th Jul 2013, 00:22
Over the years many of us on these forums and across the cyberverse have begged, pleaded, demanded, and perhaps even prayed for a chance to get our hands on an SDK or other mod tools for Human Revolution. With the impending jump to next-gen and rumors/stirrings of future Deus Ex properties in the works, I'd like to take the opportunity to briefly restate the case for making community mod tools a priority for Eidos Montreal (or whoever else inherits the Deus Ex IP):

1. It keeps the community alive and prosperous for years beyond the initial debut of the game. To this day, thirteen years after its release, there are still people releasing high-quality modifications for the original Deus Ex (some of whom are regulars on these very forums).
2. It can lead to greater sales as some individuals who might not be interested in purchasing the vanilla version of the game are attracted to buy it in order to play a new user-made mod or expansion.
3. It can assist tremendously with the task of bug-fixing (Skyrim, I'm looking at you) as members of the community can release user-made patches that don't eat up valuable development time for the studio.

Having said all that, I realize that money and development time are finite resources. My question to the forums is this: would you be willing to pay extra for mod tools?

AlexOfSpades
15th Jul 2013, 00:33
I think it would be outrageous to charge for mod tools, but if its what it takes, then yes.

Edit: Wildcat? Long time no see, man.

WildcatPhoenix
15th Jul 2013, 00:39
I think it would be outrageous to charge for mod tools, but if its what it takes, then yes.

Edit: Wildcat? Long time no see, man.

Indeed. I mostly lurk these days (grad school and married life, sigh). I hate to give Eidos any ideas, but then again, I'd much rather pay extra for something valuable like an SDK than for bonus "collector's edition" weapons or custom Xbox Live avatars. If EM charged $10 for the mod kit and I got 10 years of good use out of it, I'd say that's more than a bargain, wouldn't you?

All topics to be debated in the near future, I'm sure. Looking forward to the next round of forum battles whenever details about DX4 start trickling down through the internets. ;)

FrankCSIS
15th Jul 2013, 02:17
Can't remember who, but it was suggested a good while ago to offer it as DLC. It was a sensible idea.

PS: Hullo Wildcat!

CyberP
15th Jul 2013, 02:37
Can't remember who, but it was suggested a good while ago to offer it as DLC. It was a sensible idea.

PS: Hullo Wildcat!

I know I did a while back but I may not have been the first.

Voted for "yes, if it's cheap". I know there is no other way to see an SDK from this studio, money is all they'll listen to, but I want to be paid to make games also, not pay to make/expand on them, so am done making free mods already. Likely will go indie.
But they should definitely release an SDK. There is only so much subsidized devs can do for a product, what with deadlines & budgets issued by higher-ups. Each community always churns out some objectively better content for a game among the degrading trash like nude mods :/
They could always add reasonable restrictions to content they want left alone if they really must, as long as these restrictions are clearly stated (poke at jailbreak fiasco).

sonicsidewinder
15th Jul 2013, 09:31
*whisper whisper* dont give them ideas.

Ashpolt
15th Jul 2013, 10:11
I wouldn't pay for mod tools, for two reasons:

1) I'm not actually personally all that fussed about mods (I know, I know, I'll hand my PC gamer card in at the door)

2) Mods extend the lifespan of any given game; by creating mods, the fans are actually doing a service to the developers, and adding value to the base game. Why should they have to pay to do that? These are people working purely out of love for what they're doing to add new content to a game. They're already doing it for free, they shouldn't have to make a net loss to do so.

WildcatPhoenix
22nd Jul 2013, 03:03
*whisper whisper* dont give them ideas.

I know, I know. My apologies.

I wouldn't pay for mod tools, for two reasons:

1) I'm not actually personally all that fussed about mods (I know, I know, I'll hand my PC gamer card in at the door)

2) Mods extend the lifespan of any given game; by creating mods, the fans are actually doing a service to the developers, and adding value to the base game. Why should they have to pay to do that? These are people working purely out of love for what they're doing to add new content to a game. They're already doing it for free, they shouldn't have to make a net loss to do so.

They do add value, you're right. I absolutely think mod tools should be free. I guess I'm just that desperate to see the DX modding community get their hands on some post-1999 technology. So desperate that I'd be willing to pay for it.

besyuziki
23rd Jul 2013, 02:06
Desperate. Your turn.

Obviously mod tools should remain free, but I would probably succumb and pay for a SDK if that's what it takes to have access to user made content.