PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: The Fall released early - get it TODAY!

b1skit
10th Jul 2013, 19:45
Hey guys,

Some of our observant fans pointed out that Deus Ex: The Fall appeared early on the iTunes store today!

Check it out:
http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/The-Fall-Out-Now?theme=deusex

Who's picked it up already? :D

Zykon
10th Jul 2013, 19:51
I buy game, i from Russian, game not work on Ipad3 with iOS 5.1.1, on install Error (This application is not compatible with the Ipad) what do?

Mr. Tibbs
10th Jul 2013, 20:44
Wow, I would avoid falling for this one. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-08-deus-ex-the-fall-review

"On paper, this is just the kind of iOS tie-in fans often ask for: it's faithful to the source material, filled with familiar systems and details, and it's even made a decent attempt at matching the graphical style of the main game. It's Deus Ex in cross-section, but although so many of the right pieces are in place, the energy and skill that usually brings the whole thing to life is missing. Regardless of whether you believe Deus Ex's basic genome should have adapted a little more for its new platform in the first place, there's no debating the fact that any sequel will require some serious augmentation." 5/10

Shralla
10th Jul 2013, 20:59
Wow, it's pointless and sucks, who knew?

AlexOfSpades
10th Jul 2013, 21:47
Bad reception? Huh. Didnt see this coming

Ashpolt
10th Jul 2013, 21:58
I've got it (because of course) and played further than I got during E3. It turns out that, while far from perfect, it's more fun when played not in the middle of a light and sound overload. Also once you've got used to the controls a bit.

I'll post more in-depth thoughts later, but unless something changes massively, the tl;dr will be:

Is it as good as DXHR? No.
Is it as good as Deus Ex? :lol:
Is it worth a fiver? Yes.

HERESY
11th Jul 2013, 00:38
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/10/deus-ex-the-fall-review

IGN gave it an 8.2

Good job EM.

Gunter Herman
11th Jul 2013, 00:40
Thanks for snatching the money from me for nothing... This is the first game "on iOS" (it was announced as such) that is NOT COMPATIBLE with iPad2! Be aware!

Unfortunately I was so eager to check it out as a fan that I didn't read the description, BUT: So far I never had to read descriptions of games I was sure I wanted to buy! Nice trap.

It would have been more fair to announce it "for iPad 3 and above" than "for iOS" (I have iOS), wouldn't it? But that would have prevented EM from getting money from guys who cannot even play the game - and who certainly won't buy a new iPad just for this - people like me.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2013, 00:49
Wow most sites report game crashes and give pretty mediocre scores! Who would have thought? Even IGN fave it an 8, which lets be serious here, is everyone elses 5. So... yeah..

HellKittyDan
11th Jul 2013, 02:05
On my 4S it crashes every time I try to start a new game. It loads, I get a brief flash of something and then it quits.

HERESY
11th Jul 2013, 04:09
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/deus-ex-the-fall/critic-reviews

AVG a 77 right now.

Spyhopping
11th Jul 2013, 08:43
I'll be able to play it at some point this weekend probably. Will give some impressions of the full game then.

Thanks for snatching the money from me for nothing... This is the first game "on iOS" (it was announced as such) that is NOT COMPATIBLE with iPad2! Be aware!

Unfortunately I was so eager to check it out as a fan that I didn't read the description, BUT: So far I never had to read descriptions of games I was sure I wanted to buy! Nice trap.

It would have been more fair to announce it "for iPad 3 and above" than "for iOS" (I have iOS), wouldn't it? But that would have prevented EM from getting money from guys who cannot even play the game - and who certainly won't buy a new iPad just for this - people like me.

That must be very frustrating, do you not have an iPhone you can play it on? I'm not convinced that EM is trying to trap anyone. The requirements are pretty prominent on the purchase page, it's the first line of the description in the app store:

Description

Deus Ex: The Fall minimum requirements: iPad 3 and above, iPad Mini, iPhone 4S and above, iPod Touch 5 and above.

Ashpolt
11th Jul 2013, 09:36

OK, if you've made the mistake of purchasing it on an unsupported device then you should be able to get a refund. Follow the steps here (http://support.2k.com/entries/24303473-Purchased-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-on-an-unsupported-device) - these are taken from the 2K Support site, but as you request the refund from Apple rather than the developers, the same steps should apply.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2013, 10:55
Also no demo. Riiiight.

Ashpolt
11th Jul 2013, 12:20
Also no demo. Riiiight.

Demo? Of a mobile game? :scratch:

Gunter Herman
11th Jul 2013, 13:09
That must be very frustrating, do you not have an iPhone you can play it on?

Nope, I'm not exactly an Apple fan. I bought the iPad only because of professional audio apps. By the way, those all run on iPad2... so no reason to spend a ridiculous amount like 500 Euros on a new tablet.

I'm not convinced that EM is trying to trap anyone. The requirements are pretty prominent on the purchase page, it's the first line of the description in the app store:

Sure, but since this never happened before I didn't expect anything like that and just bought it right away. I never read anything about "iPad 3 and above" in any DXTF previews. And I'm sure iPad 2 still makes up a large percentage of devices in use. Excluding 50% (? my guess) of the users seems very daring. Except when they buy too fast, like me...

Anyway, when the Director's Cut comes to PC, I'm now sure it will be Win 8 only... :whistle:

Gunter Herman
11th Jul 2013, 13:23
OK, if you've made the mistake of purchasing it on an unsupported device then you should be able to get a refund. Follow the steps here (http://support.2k.com/entries/24303473-Purchased-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-on-an-unsupported-device) - these are taken from the 2K Support site, but as you request the refund from Apple rather than the developers, the same steps should apply.

Oh, nice find, thanks! I had thought there was absolutely no way to get a refund (there must be a reason iTunes doesn't warn you if you have no compatible device, whereas for example in Play Store, you can't even download incompatible apps - plus you can always get a refund within 15mins - the mega spy company is quite customer friendly in this regard).

Anyway, since it's now my choice again, I think I'll keep the game after all, since 6 Euros introductory price is not that much, and some day I will probably own a compatible device. Until then I consider it a donation to EM and SE (who were the best publisher in recent years but apparently had some financial troubles lately) to support development of the real DX4... :flowers:

El_Bel
11th Jul 2013, 13:43
Demo? Of a mobile game? :scratch:

Of course! Most games I've played on ipad had a demo or some form of it anyway. I know this for sure because I absolutely refuse to buy anything that costs more then $2 on ipad if I dont play a demo first.

(Which of course is a double standard because I buy game that cost ten times more on pc without having to play a demo.)

vallux
11th Jul 2013, 15:40
Seeing as the Android version release date "will be revealed later" I'm trying to watch walkthroughs of the game. Every goddamn player just blitzes through the objective. WHERE ARE MY LORE ITEMS, WHY AREN'T YOU READING THEM you twit.

Shralla
11th Jul 2013, 18:13
Because mobile gamers.

El_Bel
11th Jul 2013, 19:11
In other news the game doesn't fire weapons if you use a jailbroken ipad. Nice.

I also love how there is no official answer about it. Yeah, they listen their fans alright.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18tjyttu1uy6yjpg/k-bigpic.jpg

link: http://kotaku.com/eidos-disables-your-guns-in-ios-deus-ex-if-your-device-745716031?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Shralla, you got ninja'd :p

Shralla
11th Jul 2013, 19:14
Wow.

http://kotaku.com/eidos-disables-your-guns-in-ios-deus-ex-if-your-device-745716031?

Released yesterday for iOS Deus Ex: The Fall is all about giving the player options, unless that player is attempting to run the game on a jailbroken iPhone or iPad, in which case it removes one of the most important abilities in the game — pulling the trigger.

EDIT: DAMN!

This is totally inexcusable. I can't even BELIEVE this kind of crap.

Gunter Herman
11th Jul 2013, 20:04
And on Android you won't be able to fire on rooted devices, eh? EA couldn't have come up with a better idea. SE obviously want to get rid of their positive image asap.

besyuziki
11th Jul 2013, 20:56
Not sure how a jailbroken iDevice would translate to a rooted Android device, but to me rooting an Android phone and tablet has always been the first thing to do after buying one.

It would be nice of them to mention this kind of dealbreaker before, you know, people actually PAID for the app. Cryptic PR talk is one thing, but deliberately neglecting to give such crucial info... That's terror. Terror built into the system.

FrankCSIS
11th Jul 2013, 23:39
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18tjyttu1uy6yjpg/k-bigpic.jpg

link: http://kotaku.com/eidos-disables-your-guns-in-ios-deus-ex-if-your-device-745716031?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Well, what do you know!

Does Apple push for that? Offer subsidies? To punish jailbreakers by the side door?

What a shame.

sadmachine
12th Jul 2013, 02:32
I hope they've got a good explanation and a quick fix in the works for this. Looking awfully scummy right now.

HERESY
12th Jul 2013, 03:19
EM needs to fix this.

Doom972
12th Jul 2013, 03:25
So you need the latest iPad or iPhone and it can't be jailbroken? If you suckered people into buying it, at least have the courtesy to make it work.

I saw a fix posted on another forum, but it's probably against the rules to post it here, so I won't unless a mod approves.

Shralla
12th Jul 2013, 04:44
b1skit, sometimes I think I want a job like yours, and then sometimes I don't envy it at all.

HERESY
12th Jul 2013, 05:44
Paying customers should be able to play the game without any restrictions.

EM, you dropped the ball on this. A large percentage of the gaming community was against this game and now this fiasco? How do you expect for people to get on board when stunts like this are pulled?

El_Bel
12th Jul 2013, 10:32
b1skit, sometimes I think I want a job like yours, and then sometimes I don't envy it at all.

Well I think in times like this his job is the easiest. The order seems to be "Stay out of the forums, avoid answering."

68_pie
12th Jul 2013, 10:39
Well I think in times like this his job is the easiest. The order seems to be "Stay out of the forums, avoid answering."

Heh. I was going to say the same thing. Just wait until people start to forget and then come back and announce some "Cool **** TM".

Shralla
12th Jul 2013, 10:42

Heyo!

But seriously I'm sure behind the scenes he's scrambling around talking to the dev team and seeing if they can fix it, all while preparing responses to us whether or not it gets fixed.

AlexOfSpades
12th Jul 2013, 14:30
I imagine him approaching the devs and asking about the jailbreak boycott thing:

"Hey guys... the community is in uproar about the jailb-"

"Who cares?"

"But they're our fans! They-"

"They'll never pay us as much as what Apple is giving us. Shut up man, you know it."

"But guys-"

"'Fans'. Who gives a **** about 'fans' nowadays? Look, we're busy, man. We're about to go on a meeting with the Squeenix guys. So why dont you, uh, go out for a walk huh? Clear your head?"

"... Yes sir."

Then b1skit never reports to the forums about it, and people blame him for not trying.

Gunter Herman
12th Jul 2013, 14:52
At least it now says "iPad 2 support coming soon".

The jailbreak move really was a great idea. All news sites are now reporting about this - and not the game itself. Congratulations! :D

After the desaster with the announcement trailer (does it still have 95% thumbs down?) and the (now revised) iPad3-only I really wonder who is responsible for all these great decisions.

Shralla
12th Jul 2013, 20:35
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/12/deus-ex-the-fall-update-will-unjam-guns-on-jailbroken-ios-devic/

We have not been clear in our communication earlier this week when we launched Deus Ex: The Fall. We did not state clearly that the game would not support jailbroken devices and so we will be switching this off via an update, so that all the supported iOS devices will be able to play the game in the near future.

Big surprise.

HERESY
12th Jul 2013, 20:54
So they're going to fix it. Good job, EM.

68_pie
12th Jul 2013, 23:28
You do love praising them for fixing things that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

HERESY
12th Jul 2013, 23:41
You do love praising them for fixing things that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Please read classic posts #27 and #30 (in this thread.)

ETA: Forgot to add "classic."

Shralla
13th Jul 2013, 02:18

Makes me wonder if this was just a marketing ploy to garner positive spin once they removed the restrictions.

CyberP
13th Jul 2013, 02:42
Makes me wonder if this was just a marketing ploy to garner positive spin once they removed the restrictions.

Removed the restrictions? That requires a port to actual gaming platforms and restoring it to a proper Deus Ex experience which would take 2 years give or take ;)