PDA

View Full Version : Do you want to see Croft Manor (Lara's mansion) back in TR10 or later?

Pages : [1] 2

Driber
25th Jun 2013, 17:07
You saw it, folks - the devs would like to see your feedback on this (link (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1931210#post1931210)), so let's show the TR crew what you would prefer :)

Edit: A collage of past Croft Manors. Thanks to dark7angel!

jnoitq_Croft-Manor.jpg

----------------------------------

Update: November 1, 2013

Forum member TRJTA re-created the outside of the classic manor in HD. Check out his thread -- which includes an awesome HD remake of the TR1 manor intro FMV -- here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139744

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z103/journeytoavalon/Classic%20Croft%20Manor%20HD/ManorBannerSmall-1.png~original

Update, Sep 14, 2013 - Here's some fun reading:

Business2Community – “Tomb Realtor: Lara Croft’s Manor For Sale” [Link (http://www.business2community.com/oddball/tomb-realtor-lara-crofts-manor-sale-0612304)]

PSU: “Lara Croft’s mansion is worth how much?” [Link (http://www.psu.com/a020944/Lara-Crofts-mansion-is-worth-HOW-much-Real-estate-company-examines-its-value)]

Update: And here are some awesome manor fan renders, for inspiration! Credits go to LegendLost

Original
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9533/65663629.jpg
Redone(mostly Finished)
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9779/croftmanordone.jpg
Redone
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2946/3dview3copy.jpg
Indoor Pool Original
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9778/poolorigi.jpg
Redone(not finished)
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4823/pool2s.jpg
Finished
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1668/poolcopy.jpg

---

Edit: Thread merged with Valenka's thread on Lara's manor. His OP:

Warning: Spoiler Alert! for anyone who hasn't read the below mentioned graphic novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17565745-tomb-raider-the-beginning

In the graphic novel, The Beginning, that came as a preorder bonus from some retailers and packaged with the collector's edition of Tomb Raider (2013), there's a little blurb involving Lara's wealth that got me thinking about Croft Manor.

Within the text, in a scene where Dr. Whitman stresses over being able to finance the expedition, he inquires to Roth about Lara's wealth, essentially asking, "Isn't Lara rich?" to which Roth replies something along the lines of, "Yes, but she's got her money locked up so tight, she couldn't touch it if she wanted to. She wants to make her own way."

It's slightly foreshadowing that we may never see Croft Manor, at least not for quite some time, anyway. If Lara intends to work and make her own money (as she did working as a waitress or bartender at the Nine Bells pub in England), she wouldn't live immodestly in either of the three manors earned in her inheritance and may instead live in her own apartment of the sort. If she doesn't have access to her inheritance funds or otherwise, she wouldn't be able to afford Croft Manor's upkeep.

If that is in fact the case, it makes Croft Manor the setting of Rise of the Tomb Raider's announcement trailer (the scene with Lara's therapist) less and less likely.

While I would love for the return of Croft Manor, I honestly would rather they didn't include it now that they've essentially hinted to the fact that Lara has to work for a living or obtain finance through other means of earning her way. However, isn't it a little hard to do that when you're globe-trotting for sport and discovering the truth behind the myths we've heard? Even still, how does she even finance these adventures?

Too many questions that need answering, I'd say. :p

Thoughts?

pomeranianpuppy
25th Jun 2013, 17:21
HELL YEAH!
a rebooted Croft manor with mini games and cool new rooms would breathe fresh life into it

Jurre
25th Jun 2013, 17:44
If it properly serves the game and story and is not shoehorned in for the sake of fanservice, sure.

mini games
Yeah, like a pinball machine, a dartboard, Texas Hold 'm poker, that would be awesome...

I also still think the manor would make for a great multiplayer map.

Cristiavano
25th Jun 2013, 17:56
Yes,
Completely redone with booby traps!

Driber
25th Jun 2013, 17:59
Anyone up for Photoshopping a nice collage of Croft manors (classic and LAU versions) to place in the OP? :)

the manor would make for a great multiplayer map.

That it would, indeed.

_Ninja_
25th Jun 2013, 19:18
I voted 'don't care'. I don't want it there if it's artificial. Only if there is a need for it in the story.

BridgetFisher
25th Jun 2013, 19:19
I enjoyed what the devs came up with for Laras Mansion in TR Anniversary. Loved the commentary and the puzzles. Using the mansion as a bonus area via preorder a special edition or DLC, would be a great way to include the great puzzles that they can come up with maybe leaving them out of the main game so regular gamers dont struggle too much with them.

(The mansion was so creative, I hope this time they hide the ark somewhere because Lucas doesnt own the ark of the covenant.)

Driber
25th Jun 2013, 19:26
I voted 'don't care'. I don't want it there if it's artificial. Only if there is a need for it in the story.

You would seriously like the game less if there was Croft manor like it was done in ANY of the past games? :scratch:

_Ninja_
25th Jun 2013, 19:40
All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be a priority that dictates other elements of the game. It shouldn't be there just for the sake of being there.

I don't want them thinking, "We've got this cool idea for a setting but we can't do it because we need to put the mansion in the game".

Driber
25th Jun 2013, 19:45
Oh I don't think that will happen, either way :)

a_big_house
25th Jun 2013, 19:50
The mansion should be the main hub for the whole game...

Gemma_Darkmoon_
25th Jun 2013, 20:14
Croft Manor is an awesome part of TR to explore with lots of hidden rooms (especially in TR3). I love how it gives this element that Lara has this great life that she could jut stay there and yet she chooses to go out and explore.

I would REALLY like to see Croft Manor back for TR10 so I choose the top answer.

GLA
25th Jun 2013, 20:27
I would definitely like to see something like Croft Manor :)

I would be interested to see how such a huge, sprawling house is fitted into the reboot. And I agree, it would make a great multiplayer map - I'm imagining a TR2 situation when the last level was Lara running around the place shooting enemies :cool:

pidipidi39
25th Jun 2013, 20:28
BLOODY YUS :D

Androme321
25th Jun 2013, 20:33
Super Duper Yes! :D
I miss the manor D:

AdobeArtist
25th Jun 2013, 21:58
How is this even debateable?? :lol: :p

And I just saw now this poll is born out of my Dev Q&A question :D :cool:

Cristiavano
25th Jun 2013, 22:10
Found a sneak peak of croft manor!
http://doctorbeatnik.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/living-in-a-box.jpg

Wild
25th Jun 2013, 23:25
Yes.

*is hoping to see Sam's clothes somewhere in the manor.:p*

AdobeArtist
25th Jun 2013, 23:37
Yes.

*is hoping to see Sam's clothes somewhere in the manor.:p*

*you mean somehwere on the manor's floor, amiright?* ;)

Lara_Fan_84
25th Jun 2013, 23:59
I would love to see a rebooted mansion for the next game. I would love to see more interaction with objects and stuff. Such as turning on stereos, tv's, maybe going to a walk in closet and picking out outfits to use in the manor, something to do outside. I would love to see some things that are from previous TR games. Not a lot but sort of little aha moments.

It kind of seems to me that as soon as TR ends Lara heads out to another adventure. She says she's not going home so we may not see a mansion in TR 2.

BTW, I know people called this game TR 9 and the next TR 10 which is technically correct but since they're a new series I started calling them TR and TR 2, but that may be confusing, because of the previous series. :scratch:

Rai
26th Jun 2013, 00:22
^I think that 'I'm not going home' line was as much a metaphor than it was a real meaning. I see it as this is Lara making her choice not to go back to her easy cosy life, this is her changed as someone who no longer feels they can live a regular life anymore. It may not literally mean she's going straight on an adventure from the ship. She may not go 'home' yet but she will no doubt take some time to assess her options.

I'm kinda with Ninja on this. I loved playing in the manor in previous games. It served as a training level of sorts with fun stuff to do. however, in the past, it was always Lara's home, it was hers (inherited?) and she changed it to suit her purposes. With Lara's new bio the family home is not hers (yet) unless both parents are deceased, and even so Lara refuses to touch her parents' money, so she can't or won't modify her home for her training needs. I suppose it is reasonable to assume Lara would visit the house, even use it as a base before setting off on an adventure, but without her personal modifications it wouldn't have her personal stamp on it, like previous manors did. I can't see it feeling the same. I dunno there would have to be a story reason for her to be there. I wouldn't want it thrown in just because of fan demand. I also hate mazes....where's the 'undecided, I'll vote later' option? :p

Wild
26th Jun 2013, 00:58
*you mean somehwere on the manor's floor, amiright?* ;)

:D

AshrakAiemain
26th Jun 2013, 01:22
Abso-****in-lutely.

BridgetFisher
26th Jun 2013, 04:57
The mansion should be the main hub for the whole game...

this is a great idea!!!! allow me to elaborate why I'd like it if there was a facebook button!

Going with the whole survivor theme, the mansion could be used to select maybe 2 weapons, a couple gadgets, an outfit, and off we go!!!!! Sort of like hitman since it would allow the players strategy in their gameplay which of course we all love.

(pssssssssssst I loved all the books in croft manor original, lets see that again even with more fun facts so we all can get more points at quizzo which is a drinking game using trivia.)

Driber
26th Jun 2013, 07:02
BTW, I know people called this game TR 9 and the next TR 10 which is technically correct but since they're a new series I started calling them TR and TR 2, but that may be confusing, because of the previous series. :scratch:

I agree with you; naming the next game TR2 as well is just confusing. Another poster also mentioned TR2 in this thread, meaning actually TR2, so using the same name for completely different games is just creating a mess, especially for the new fans who may not be familiar with the series' history :nut:

There's no need to call the next game TR2, because regardless of reboot, it's still the 10th game in the series :)

^I think that 'I'm not going home' line was as much a metaphor than it was a real meaning. I see it as this is Lara making her choice not to go back to her easy cosy life, this is her changed as someone who no longer feels they can live a regular life anymore. It may not literally mean she's going straight on an adventure from the ship. She may not go 'home' yet but she will no doubt take some time to assess her options.

Yup, that's how I interpreted that line, too.

Of course Lara is going home, first. The crew will need to investigate, organize, plan, fund, collect gear and resources, and probably also recruit new crew members before setting off for their next adventure :)

I also hate mazes....where's the 'undecided, I'll vote later' option? :p

Easy solution - you'll simply... vote later :lol:

this is a great idea!!!! allow me to elaborate why I'd like it if there was a facebook button!

You like FB buttons so much? Okay, here ya go :p :D

http://driber.net/os/facebook_like_button.png (http://driber.net/os/facebook.php?like=1) http://driber.net/os/facebook_dislike_button.png (http://driber.net/os/facebook.php?like=2)

IRON LOBSTER
26th Jun 2013, 09:50
Maybe do a throwback thing with Croft Manor like 'Skyfall' at the end of Lara's new reboot arc if it's a trilogy.

Watch Skyfall to get the idea.

Metalrocks
26th Jun 2013, 09:56
HELL YES.
no question there.

it also would be a neat idea that its your home base and you can select the missions you want to do. also nice would be that you can go to the city and buy things you need, stroll around like maybe going shopping with sam or just something casual.

CakeLuv
26th Jun 2013, 12:48
Maybe visit her parent's manor? But... wait, isn't she trying to make her way alone? Like... She may be living In a flat or something D:

Oh oh, I'd like If the first cut-scene of the game, (right aftet she arrives to England) would be Lara opening the Manor's door, and then restoring it and stuff, :I, maybe she just don't give a crap (after Yamatai) about being a famous archeologist and just wanna solve the mistery? :I

Chakram
26th Jun 2013, 14:29

Maybe visit her parent's manor? But... wait, isn't she trying to make her way alone? Like... She may be living In a flat or something D:

Exactly, and we don't know where Lara has been living, for all we know she could be in student accommodation or renting a room above The Nine Bells. "Home" could be anywhere for her at this point.

In the ending monologue Lara talks about not believing and resenting her father for his beliefs, and regretting that she did. I don't think it would be unreasonable for Lara to perhaps begin her next adventure following on from something her father did. She could perhaps visit an empty, run down Croft Manor, to retrieve her fathers journals, use his library for research, or even find his old field gear. It could be an interesting little hub space where we could also find documents giving a little back story to Lara and her family.

Just because she could go there in the next game, it's doesn't mean she has to immediately move in and build an assault course, that could be in the game after ;)

pomeranianpuppy
26th Jun 2013, 15:32
Lara should have an archery range now she's got the bow...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y526/sizzlepom/ArcheryRange_zps90d2acd7.jpg

Jurre
26th Jun 2013, 15:32
If there's gonna be a butler, I hope he'll be like Alfred in the Nolan Batman trilogy: a witty, funny and wise mentory figure. Old Winston was rather boring in my opinion...

Cristiavano
26th Jun 2013, 17:39

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y526/sizzlepom/ArcheryRange_zps90d2acd7.jpg

YES! But we need Winston! He could be like a little helper or something, but I really want him back.

Rai
26th Jun 2013, 18:08
I

Easy solution - you'll simply... vote later :lol:

But...but there lies my problem! I may not decide. I have an opinion as can be seen in my earlier post. I don't want to give an outright no answer even if I do dislike mazes, and I'm undecided about if I'd like to see her visit a manor in the future. I honestly can't imagine this Lara taking up residence in the family manor, not with her being all dependent and all. I imagine she rented or stayed in Uni digs before the Endurance trip. If anything the island events made her more independent than before. I just can't imagine Lara in a luxurious manor when she doesn't even use her parents' money.

Yansazonov
26th Jun 2013, 18:15
Are u kiddin'??
I would be HAPPY AZ HELL ^^

Weemanply109
26th Jun 2013, 20:51
I'd <3 a Croft Manor to return with it being used as a hub with possible story segments being featured in it.

Error96_
26th Jun 2013, 22:39
It's a key part of the Lara biography so I can't wait to see her return. If that got changed and they stuck her in a council house or something I would hate that.

The 'I'm not going home' line was sad to hear and hopefully the CD team will change their mind on that real soon.

Valenka
27th Jun 2013, 01:32
Watch Skyfall to get the idea.

I've seen Skyfall over 40 times. :o
Nine times the day it was released in theatres. :lol:

larafan25
27th Jun 2013, 02:10
Yes, but I'd prefer it were a brand new manor, an old one, but new.

As well, not a sequence in the game, I want Croft Manor, as it were, a free-form explorable space with puzzles and secrets.

Cristiavano
27th Jun 2013, 03:14
It's a key part of the Lara biography so I can't wait to see her return. If that got changed and they stuck her in a council house or something I would hate that.

The 'I'm not going home' line was sad to hear and hopefully the CD team will change their mind on that real soon.

I think it was more of an expression of that, Lara is going to explore and not settle down, occasionally she'll rest at her home and such, however, she realises now she wants to find out the mysteries of the world. Like...
1kh4Zyq3Cqc

Lara reminds me so much of that animé in wanting to discover the mysteries of the world... ._. kinda random but yeah. P.S. Captions have the lyrics.

Driber
27th Jun 2013, 09:42
HELL YES.
no question there.

it also would be a neat idea that its your home base and you can select the missions you want to do. also nice would be that you can go to the city and buy things you need, stroll around like maybe going shopping with sam or just something casual.

In the ending monologue Lara talks about not believing and resenting her father for his beliefs, and regretting that she did. I don't think it would be unreasonable for Lara to perhaps begin her next adventure following on from something her father did. She could perhaps visit an empty, run down Croft Manor, to retrieve her fathers journals, use his library for research, or even find his old field gear. It could be an interesting little hub space where we could also find documents giving a little back story to Lara and her family.

Just because she could go there in the next game, it's doesn't mean she has to immediately move in and build an assault course, that could be in the game after ;)

Both of these are great ideas! :thumb:

width='200'

:lol:

If there's gonna be a butler, I hope he'll be like Alfred in the Nolan Batman trilogy: a witty, funny and wise mentory figure. Old Winston was rather boring in my opinion...

The butlers in the games were stiff. But that's what you'd normally expect from a butler.

Hillery (Lara's butler in the movie, the great Chris Barry) however, was much better and complimented Lara in a much better way than any of the games' butlers.

But...but there lies my problem! I may not decide. I have an opinion as can be seen in my earlier post. I don't want to give an outright no answer even if I do dislike mazes, and I'm undecided about if I'd like to see her visit a manor in the future. I honestly can't imagine this Lara taking up residence in the family manor, not with her being all dependent and all. I imagine she rented or stayed in Uni digs before the Endurance trip. If anything the island events made her more independent than before. I just can't imagine Lara in a luxurious manor when she doesn't even use her parents' money.

As mentioned before, Lara returning to Croft Manor does not necessarily have to mean that she actually lives there :)

Think a 21 year old who visits her parents' house and her old teenage decorated room still being there with most / a lot of her stuff. She could go through her things, reminisce (whoah - big opportunity for AdobeArtist's liking for character building here! :D) and there could be cutscenes with the family butler who maintains the mansion while no one is actually living there, besides the staff.

So there's a perfectly sensible scenario where Croft manor would come into play while Lara herself would not use the manor as her main residence and thus she would stay true to her determination of not using her parents' money.

As said, this was probably meant metaphorically, not literally :)

DrCroft
27th Jun 2013, 11:54
I had an idea a while ago that the house could be used as a training facility (like it always was) but the score you achieve affects Lara's strength and abilities in the opening chapters of TR10. You could also add research abilities that is horned through finding bits and bobs throughout the house and are recorded in Lara's journal. This opens hidden/optional objectives and or areas while playing the full game.

Simply put, the greater the effort you put in before you set out on an adventure, the more you may find and the greater you will be conquering what is ahead.

Shaikh
27th Jun 2013, 18:55
Yes, its a rhetorical question. ;)

Driber
27th Jun 2013, 19:37
96% voted for YES!

Heh, looks like the outcome of this poll is already pretty much a done deal :D

Shaikh
27th Jun 2013, 20:59
Better to look at it as: nobody said 'No Croft Manor in future TR'. :D

AdobeArtist
27th Jun 2013, 21:11
96% voted for YES!

Heh, looks like the outcome of this poll is already pretty much a done deal :D

Was there ever a doubt? ;)

Triangle3
28th Jun 2013, 09:50
The butlers in the games were stiff. But that's what you'd normally expect from a butler.

Hillery (Lara's butler in the movie, the great Chris Barry) however, was much better and complimented Lara in a much better way than any of the games' butlers.

Yes but you have to love playing around with the fridge door in the TR3 manor. I always thought that was the best one. the maor from TR LAU seemed to have too many long coridoors everywhere so it didn't feel quite as homely.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Lara to perhaps begin her next adventure following on from something her father did. She could perhaps visit an empty, run down Croft Manor, to retrieve her fathers journals, use his library for research, or even find his old field gear. It could be an interesting little hub space where we could also find documents giving a little back story to Lara and her family.

I like the idea that Lara comes back to a run down croft manor but I don't want a TRL/U story arc in the game where everywhere Lara goes goes she says 'oh my father explored here' as it feels less like wow nobody has been to this Tomb before.

Lara_Fan_84
28th Jun 2013, 14:07

I'm kinda with Ninja on this. I loved playing in the manor in previous games. It served as a training level of sorts with fun stuff to do. however, in the past, it was always Lara's home, it was hers (inherited?) and she changed it to suit her purposes. With Lara's new bio the family home is not hers (yet) unless both parents are deceased, and even so Lara refuses to touch her parents' money, so she can't or won't modify her home for her training needs. I suppose it is reasonable to assume Lara would visit the house, even use it as a base before setting off on an adventure, but without her personal modifications it wouldn't have her personal stamp on it, like previous manors did. I can't see it feeling the same. I dunno there would have to be a story reason for her to be there. I wouldn't want it thrown in just because of fan demand. I also hate mazes....where's the 'undecided, I'll vote later' option? :p

You make a good point. I assumed though she was heading to her next adventure because she was looking at maps and pinpointing pretty much where she would go next. She should go home first though, so she can at least shower and get a new change of clothes. All the nasty things she had to walk in.

Lara_Fan_84
28th Jun 2013, 14:11
Yes, but I'd prefer it were a brand new manor, an old one, but new.

As well, not a sequence in the game, I want Croft Manor, as it were, a free-form explorable space with puzzles and secrets.

I personally feel like since this series is a reboot the mansion should be a reboot, something we haven't seen. But, maybe with some easter eggs of previous games such as maybe excaliber hanging on the wall of the hallway or her room. Not something you can use but just as an easter egg for the fans. Kind of like the plush Kraken was in Lara and Sam's room on the ship.

Rai
28th Jun 2013, 14:17
As mentioned before, Lara returning to Croft Manor does not necessarily have to mean that she actually lives there :)

Think a 21 year old who visits her parents' house and her old teenage decorated room still being there with most / a lot of her stuff. She could go through her things, reminisce (whoah - big opportunity for AdobeArtist's liking for character building here! :D) and there could be cutscenes with the family butler who maintains the mansion while no one is actually living there, besides the staff.

So there's a perfectly sensible scenario where Croft manor would come into play while Lara herself would not use the manor as her main residence and thus she would stay true to her determination of not using her parents' money.

:)

Hmm, this does seem feasible. I've decided to choose the 'yes, in the future' option.

Driber
28th Jun 2013, 17:54
You make a good point. I assumed though she was heading to her next adventure because she was looking at maps and pinpointing pretty much where she would go next. She should go home first though, so she can at least shower and get a new change of clothes. All the nasty things she had to walk in.

I'm pretty sure England isn't the only country in the world that has showers and clothes stores...

a_big_house
28th Jun 2013, 19:42
I'm pretty sure England isn't the only country in the world that has showers and clothes stores...

What's a show-er? :D

AdobeArtist
28th Jun 2013, 21:17

awwww, you thought of me :o :flowers:

MeaganMarie
28th Jun 2013, 21:58
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll send a link off to Noah!

a_big_house
28th Jun 2013, 22:09

YEAHH!
If you guys start working on the manor now, then by the time you guys start on the main game, I don't know where this is going... Just make the manor nowww! :D

AdobeArtist
28th Jun 2013, 22:23

We can haz mansion? :D

larafan25
28th Jun 2013, 22:47
Maybe we should talk about manors.

I assume if we get a manor it would be a new one.

Personally, the manor from my visions is gray, and I know that's boring when compared to the gorgeous, red classic home that was so warm and inviting, but I can't help it:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LbEOZqOqjYs/TRtZl8Nz64I/AAAAAAAATF0/RI7xuRhLDn8/s490/English%2BManor%2BHouse.jpg

I like this, too some it's just an old, gray box. But to me it's a mansion full of old secrets, a mysterious and creepy property and garden area, maybe with a pond.

It would have extra wings that cannot be seen in this image.

I kind of imagine Lara's manor to have a forested backyard, to some degree, like the hunting lodge area.

But I wonder, would it be a modern home, or an old home?

I'd like if it were old and creeky.

Uh. If we did get a manor, I want to see all the new fans be like "oooh in Lerah's house this so cule!" <3

It's revolutionary but not. D:

edit: My manor needs creepy gardens too:

http://trickfist.com/trickfist/image/2/creepy-monster-garden-of-orsini-family.jpg

I'd love something similar to the home in the Woman in Black remake:

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/2012WomanInBlackPR080112.jpg

Lord Martok
28th Jun 2013, 22:47
May you live in a house of a thousand rooms, and may each room have a thousand beds...and may the dog of a thousand fleas chase you from bed to bed. :D

Back to the "mansion" thing.... I think it would be hilarious (as an outtake from the game that could be viewed perhaps during the end credits) where Lara is in the mansion, perhaps orienteering a new ally/employee. They pass by one door that looks...rather sturdy and well fortified. As they stroll past the door, the new employee thinks nothing of it....until he/she hears a faint scream from just ...beyond that door? Lara, trying to act as if she isn't missing a beat, says semi-sheepishly: "Oh, don't mind that it's just the-- cat." And the two continue walking on...Lara, feeling as if she narrowly averted disaster, and the new employee feeling as if he/she might be in for more than he/she bargained for. :lol:

Cristiavano
29th Jun 2013, 01:21
Maybe we should talk about manors.

I assume if we get a manor it would be a new one.

Personally, the manor from my visions is gray, and I know that's boring when compared to the gorgeous, red classic home that was so warm and inviting, but I can't help it:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LbEOZqOqjYs/TRtZl8Nz64I/AAAAAAAATF0/RI7xuRhLDn8/s490/English%2BManor%2BHouse.jpg

I like this, too some it's just an old, gray box. But to me it's a mansion full of old secrets, a mysterious and creepy property and garden area, maybe with a pond.

It would have extra wings that cannot be seen in this image.

I kind of imagine Lara's manor to have a forested backyard, to some degree, like the hunting lodge area.

But I wonder, would it be a modern home, or an old home?

I'd like if it were old and creeky.

Uh. If we did get a manor, I want to see all the new fans be like "oooh in Lerah's house this so cule!" <3

It's revolutionary but not. D:

edit: My manor needs creepy gardens too:

http://trickfist.com/trickfist/image/2/creepy-monster-garden-of-orsini-family.jpg

I'd love something similar to the home in the Woman in Black remake:

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/2012WomanInBlackPR080112.jpg

I actually like this idea!

Cristiavano
29th Jun 2013, 01:24
Our Lady Croft deserves a Palace.
http://www.paris-architecture.info/043-VersaillesCourHonneur.jpg

Metalrocks
29th Jun 2013, 04:43
lol, that what would be really weird but awesome if she lives in a palace.
thanks meagan for forwarding our wishes. hope you guys will consider the ideas we have.

Driber
29th Jun 2013, 07:02
What's a show-er? :D

A dirty word, I know :D

awwww, you thought of me :o :flowers:

¸.•*¨*•♫♪You are always on my mind...♩♪♫♬

Thank you, thank you very much :D

----

@LF25: I like the idea of a slightly run down mansion, but it shouldn't be too dull looking. Perhaps a nice touch would be to have some plants growing wild over the outside of the mansion as a sign that upkeep has been lacking:

width='200'
width='200'
width='200'
width='200'
width='200'
width='200'

dark7angel
29th Jun 2013, 13:53
width='200'
width='200'

This one is my favourite!!!

But I also like LF25's suggestion of the creepy gardens and that "old vibe" for the manor!!! :thumb:

AdobeArtist
29th Jun 2013, 14:43
@LF25: I like the idea of a slightly run down mansion, but it shouldn't be too dull looking. Perhaps a nice touch would be to have some plants growing wild over the outside of the mansion as a sign that upkeep has been lacking:

The way to take the rundown approach (IF that's where they'd go with it) is, yes to show the manor's condition as it is when uninhabited for years and in a state of disrepair from neglect... BUT at the same time to convey an impression we can all sense of the former splendor it once held back in its glory days - and have us thinking its potential for what it can be returned to.

Just think of Gears of War city environments with it's "destroyed beauty" theme.

ItsAdventureTime
29th Jun 2013, 15:37
Adding in my own two sense, the interior of the manor should match up to the exterior of the manor......the floor plan of Croft Manor does not exactly match up to that of the exterior of Hatfield House...

Making an actual manor from the ground up is a good idea, so that way we do not have a beautiful exterior and a TV Studio interior. But instead a realistic functioning home...

Croft Manor Floor Plan:

jzudrr_Mansion-Blueprints-102.jpg

Hatfield House Exterior:

jnzzsj_hatfield-house-gnr.jpg

Jurre
29th Jun 2013, 16:10
That's really interesting to see the manor floor plan. But you know, the master craftsmen who designed English manors didn't take loading times into account, which is why in Lara's manor there are these long hallways everywhere that lead to just one other room. While walking through these hallways the next area is being loaded, so taking that in mind you can't really expect this virtual house making any real world sense.

What I loved about the manor, especially in Anniversary, was the atmosphere: the candlelight, the cricket noise, fountains, stars and moon outside, and Troels Furmanns meditation music. A house like that could also really use some pretty tiffany lamps.

Oh, and don't forget about the amazing trophy room in the Wii version of Anniversary, that was brilliant!

Metalrocks
29th Jun 2013, 16:20
yes, forgot, we should be able to go outside of the manor and explore the garden. it could be like her outdoor training ground and for relaxing or being together with friends or her lover (sam :p). just the whole property to wonder around and not only limited to the manor. that was a good thing in anniversary to go outside.
also a nice edition would be that you can add things to the manor. trophies, pics, furniture, etc. but i guess that too much to ask for but still a fun little side activity to switch off from her adventures.

Jurre
29th Jun 2013, 16:24
also a nice edition would be that you can add things to the manor. trophies, pics, furniture, etc. but i guess that too much to ask for but still a fun little side activity to switch off from her adventures.

Yeah! To 'dress up' the manor with things she'll encounter during the main campaign, like Ezio in AC2 could buy paintings that would show up in his house. That way the house would look better and better as Lara achieves more things in the campaign. That would be awesome!

Metalrocks
29th Jun 2013, 16:26
Yeah! To 'dress up' the manor with things she'll encounter during the main campaign, like Ezio in AC2 could buy paintings that would show up in his house. That way the house would look better and better as Lara achieves more things in the campaign. That would be awesome!

something like that, yes. renovating the place, just something to invest in to it.

Shaikh
29th Jun 2013, 18:22
http://www.castlehotelireland.com/images/uploads/adare-manor-castle-1.png (http://www.castlehotelireland.com/images/uploads/adare-manor-castle-1.png)
(click image to enlarge)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2475091063_1bc79e5ea7.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2475091063_1bc79e5ea7.jpg)
(click image to enlarge)
Just perfect. :worship:

larafan25
29th Jun 2013, 18:27
http://www.paris-architecture.info/043-VersaillesCourHonneur.jpg

I love this edit of Lara! D:

A dirty word, I know :D

¸.•*¨*•♫♪You are always on my mind...♩♪♫♬

Thank you, thank you very much :D

----

[THUMB=http://www.gardenvisit.com/assets/madge/northcote_manor_hotel/600x/northcote_manor_hotel_600x.jpg]width='200'
[THUMB=http://www.knavesmire.co.uk/images/knavesmire-manor-hotel-york.jpg]width='200'
[THUMB=http://www.castlehotelireland.com/images/uploads/adare-manor-castle-1.png]width='200'
[THUMB=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2475091063_1bc79e5ea7.jpg]width='200'
[THUMB=http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/media/files/locations/Manor_Keg_Web72-3_jpg_476x258_crop_upscale_q85.jpg]width='200'
[THUMB=http://www.castlehotelireland.com/images/uploads/adare-manor-castle-3.png]width='200'

Oh yes, overgrown is a must!

Perhaps one end of the home was being remodeled and is much newer and cleaner looking to balance out the oldness?

I like this idea, even if it just means items we find might appear in some cabinets in the home.

AdobeArtist
29th Jun 2013, 20:00
yes, forgot, we should be able to go outside of the manor and explore the garden. it could be like her outdoor training ground and for relaxing or being together with friends or her lover (sam :p).

Hard workin girls deserve some relaxation by the pool ;) :o

Jurre
29th Jun 2013, 20:19

With Lara as queen, Britains stamps, coins and banknotes would be the most amazing in the world! Too pretty to spend actually.
There's one thing odd about that picture though: it seems that in order to become queen she had to have a massive breast reduction...?

Rai
29th Jun 2013, 20:43

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3fa0764f35005cd9230b10123bc80644/tumblr_mobf8jpPXK1r7x3p0o1_1280.png

You know, I've seen people comment that Lara isn't aristocratic looking enough. This edit proves she does have that look facially. It goes to show how ones clothes maketh the difference :p.

DrCroft
29th Jun 2013, 21:22
I'm surprised no-one has said it so far...Lara needs a cat! Maybe it is a stray one that found it's way in while she has been absent. You can mooch around and then there is a cat just sat on a desk.

CakeLuv
29th Jun 2013, 21:41
I want this C:

http://www.paraelbebe.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/bg-cotton-candy-manor.jpg

jk

I want this one <3

http://www.castlehotelireland.com/images/uploads/adare-manor-castle-3.png

Or

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/01/dc/6b/55/brook-crabwall-manor.jpg

larafan25
29th Jun 2013, 22:23
I'm surprised no-one has said it so far...Lara needs a cat! Maybe it is a stray one that found it's way in while she has been absent. You can mooch around and then there is a cat just sat on a desk.

omfg, she is totally a cat person! D:

She needs a trampoline though, seriously.

Metalrocks
30th Jun 2013, 10:38
Hard workin girls deserve some relaxation by the pool ;) :o

yes, they do. they sure do. they could play ball together or something like that.

now thinking of it what dr.croft said, a pet would be an interesting addition to laras home as well. i think an south american parrot would suit her as well. would be fun to see her having this bird on her shoulder :D

a_big_house
30th Jun 2013, 10:59
would be fun to see her having this bird on her shoulder :D

She's not a pirate :lol:

She should get a dog, dogs are loyal, cats suck!

Wild
30th Jun 2013, 11:23
cats suck!

:eek:

Cats can be loyal too, if you know how to treat them. ;)

-a cat person who also has a dog.

As for Lara, I can see her getting a cat and a dog. Perfect.

Metalrocks
30th Jun 2013, 12:35
She's not a pirate :lol:

She should get a dog, dogs are loyal, cats suck!

lol, that people think automatically of pirates when you mention parrot :nut:.
dog is anyway a good choice but i think a parrot would be more suitable for her since they look beautiful and can be pretty loyal as well. also because the environment they live in, could be laras favorite place (just a guess).

and yes, cats suck.:p they sleep over 12 hours a day.

Wild
30th Jun 2013, 12:49
And dogs don't? My dog sleeps more than my cats.

:p

Jurre
30th Jun 2013, 13:12
Being a world traveller, shouldn't Lara's pets be kinda exotic? Like a parrot, or an ocelot, like Salvador Dali had?: :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Salvador_Dali_NYWTS.jpg/170px-Salvador_Dali_NYWTS.jpg

pomeranianpuppy
30th Jun 2013, 13:47
^Poor thing :( I think Lara would have enough respect for exotic and wild animals that they should be kept in the wild.
Cats don't suck they rule, they're independent like Lara.
Having a dogs like having a child,

My tabbies were totally badass one tried to rip out an electricians throat cos he had the sheer gall to be in her house :D

Metalrocks
30th Jun 2013, 13:47
And dogs don't? My dog sleeps more than my cats.

:p

lol, i guess it depends on the breed of the dog.
if we go according to statistics, cats sleep over 12 hours a day, dogs over 8 hours a day.

@jurre
glad you see it that way as well :D

BinRaider
30th Jun 2013, 13:55
YES.

YES.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!

Pls Croft Manor is like the glowing beacon of the classics. It gives me so much nostalgia :')

And I love the idea of Lara having a cat too. She definitely sounds like a cat person. A dog would be too much maintenance for her lifestyle.

Wild
30th Jun 2013, 14:20
Cats don't suck they rule, they're independent like Lara.

Exaaaactly. :thumb::thumb:

if we go according to statistics, cats sleep over 12 hours a day, dogs over 8 hours a day.

If you know how to keep them entertained, then they sleep less. :D

Lol just thought something, since Lara rarely stays at her house (adventures yaayyyyy), her cats (or any animal) will die of boredom. :p

Metalrocks
30th Jun 2013, 14:25
lol, then she should get a space hamster from mass effect :p it dint die.

Jurre
30th Jun 2013, 14:41
She definitely sounds like a cat person.

You know who else is a cat person? :D

BLACKSAD!

http://jesusangelortega.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/blacksad21024x7684aw.jpg

Okay, I suppose he's not famous enough for this joke to work, but I couldn't resist :D

AdobeArtist
30th Jun 2013, 14:47
Y'all wrong!! There is only ONE beast worthy of being Lara's animal companion. One that is equal to Lara in majestic stature, can guard an entire mansion on its own, and as an added plus can even provide transportation for Lara. Forget about riding a horse, I'm talking...

A DRAGON!!! :cool::cool: :D:D

Lord Martok
30th Jun 2013, 17:49

Ha ha ha...that so ties in with what I mentioned earlier. :)

Back to the "mansion" thing.... I think it would be hilarious (as an outtake from the game that could be viewed perhaps during the end credits) where Lara is in the mansion, perhaps orienteering a new ally/employee. They pass by one door that looks...rather sturdy and well fortified. As they stroll past the door, the new employee thinks nothing of it....until he/she hears a faint scream from just ...beyond that door? Lara, trying to act as if she isn't missing a beat, says semi-sheepishly: "Oh, don't mind that it's just the-- cat." And the two continue walking on...Lara, feeling as if she narrowly averted disaster, and the new employee feeling as if he/she might be in for more than he/she bargained for. :lol:

Cats don't have owners. Cats have staff. :)

My cat, Jonesy, is one of the coolest cats around. He practically runs the neighborhood. He'll sleep right beside my roommate's little dog, especially if I'm up on the couch. I honestly think the two would die protecting each other if it came down to it. :)

EowynFan
30th Jun 2013, 18:23

A cat! This needs to happen! Lara totally seems like a cat person.

Cats are independent, cunning, agile and totally and completely awesome just like Lara.

I like the idea of the cat being a stray she adopted too, not sure why but I just like it.

CakeLuv
30th Jun 2013, 18:26
Y'all wrong!! There is only ONE beast worthy of being Lara's animal companion. One that is equal to Lara in majestic stature, can guard an entire mansion on its own, and as an added plus can even provide transportation for Lara. Forget about riding a horse, I'm talking...

A DRAGON!!! :cool::cool: :D:D

._. maybe a crocodile? idk

Driber
30th Jun 2013, 18:32
The way to take the rundown approach (IF that's where they'd go with it) is, yes to show the manor's condition as it is when uninhabited for years and in a state of disrepair from neglect... BUT at the same time to convey an impression we can all sense of the former splendor it once held back in its glory days - and have us thinking its potential for what it can be returned to.

No "but" - that was exactly my point when I said it shouldn't be too much :D

Adding in my own two sense, the interior of the manor should match up to the exterior of the manor......the floor plan of Croft Manor does not exactly match up to that of the exterior of Hatfield House...

Making an actual manor from the ground up is a good idea, so that way we do not have a beautiful exterior and a TV Studio interior. But instead a realistic functioning home...

Croft Manor Floor Plan:

jzudrr_Mansion-Blueprints-102.jpg

Hatfield House Exterior:

jnzzsj_hatfield-house-gnr.jpg

Loading times aside, having a 1:1 copy is often just impractical. And I don't mind a little inconsistency when it's in the name of better gameplay :)

PS. I think you meant "my two cents" ;)

Oh yes, overgrown is a must!

Perhaps one end of the home was being remodeled and is much newer and cleaner looking to balance out the oldness?

It worked in LAU's mansions, so sure, why not! :)

You know, I've seen people comment that Lara isn't aristocratic looking enough. This edit proves she does have that look facially. It goes to show how ones clothes maketh the difference :p.

Now that's just bollocks. Aristocracy doesn't have a "look".

^Poor thing :( I think Lara would have enough respect for exotic and wild animals that they should be kept in the wild.

...after pumping them full of lead, that is :lol:

If you know how to keep them entertained, then they sleep less. :D

Heeeeere kitty, kitty......

http://201movies.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/clockwork_brainwash.jpg

AdobeArtist
30th Jun 2013, 19:05
No "but"

Ohhhh, where Lara is concerned there's always a "butt" ;) :p

width=400

Lord Martok
1st Jul 2013, 01:22

width=400

Yeah, I've always liked Misslarisacroft's cosplays. Bet I've got one butter....er...I mean...better. The oh so hot Ellen Roche (Official, Brazilian Tomb Raider model) :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/babes/lara-croft-pic-17_zps10839757.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/martok2112/media/babes/lara-croft-pic-17_zps10839757.jpg.html)

Driber
1st Jul 2013, 08:37
So, guys.... what do you all think is essential to have in Lara's mansion, if it makes a return in a next game?

Pool?

Obstacle course?

Winston?

.....Maze? :eek: :D

width=100

*saved* :whistle:

Daftvirgin
1st Jul 2013, 10:14
I liked the villa auditore in AC2, so I'd like to have the croft mansion have similar lay out :D

Driber
1st Jul 2013, 10:16
I dis-like FB :lol:

Edit: uhm, nvm :whistle:

Lord Martok
1st Jul 2013, 10:20
So, guys.... what do you all think is essential to have in Lara's mansion, if it makes a return in a next game?

Pool?

Obstacle course?

Winston?

Hmmm....
let's see here...

Pool? Check!
Obstacle course? Check!
Winston? Check!
Maze? Check!
:eek: ? Check!
Torture chamber? Check!
:eek: ? (already checked!)

Metalrocks
1st Jul 2013, 10:33
pool for sure, so as a maze, winston and of course a training ground :D

btw, nice but :D

DrCroft
1st Jul 2013, 10:49
A cat! This needs to happen! Lara totally seems like a cat person.

Cats are independent, cunning, agile and totally and completely awesome just like Lara.

I like the idea of the cat being a stray she adopted too, not sure why but I just like it.

Exactly! You don't see it all the time while you are in the house as it moves around. I also think being a stray it would be some kind of kinship? I'm guessing that Lara returns to England alone, beaten and bruised, ready to sort her life out. What faces her is a reflection of herself in the cat, a scraggly stray that was determined to live, so it found a way in.

I think I overthink TR sometimes :D :p

Jurre
1st Jul 2013, 11:07
What I think is essential to the manor is atmosphere; a manorhouse to me is an overglorified concrete bunker if it has no 'soul'.

As I mentioned before I think it needs to be little dark with candlelight, earth colours, harp music, statues of Greek gods - Athena in perticular -
Outside in the garden there needs to be crickets noise, fountains and a starry firmament. Anniversary's manor pulled this off brilliantly.

Best thing about it was the Wii versions trophy room:

9MaZWvzlR2g

Never mind how she got that T-rex head into the room without spilling blood all over the floor.

But to be honest, I think everything that has been in Anniversary's manor will be essential to the next, plus a whole lot more. Otherwise we'll be asking ourselves: why isn't A in the manor, why is B not there...?

Metalrocks
1st Jul 2013, 12:54
lol, yeah, thats actually a good question indeed how she got that trex head in there. and this is only on the Wii version? shame actually. would like to have this as well for the pc version.

but i agree, the manor in anni was brilliant. i enjoyed it more in then legend.

Klona13
1st Jul 2013, 14:11
It would be better if the manor is Unlocked when you finish the game.
Like, when Lara goes home after the adventure when the game ends, the game sends you back to the main menu, it says "You have unlocked Lara's Home!"

Metalrocks
1st Jul 2013, 14:35
Like, when Lara goes home after the adventure when the game ends, the game sends you back to the main menu, it says "You have unlocked Lara's Home!"

not a bad idea.
they still can do it the same way as with legend and anni, or as some have said and my self, use her home as a base to wonder around and do the missions when ever you want.

AdobeArtist
1st Jul 2013, 14:42

Pool?

Obstacle course?

Winston?

Obstacle course? Yes.
Winston? Yes.
Maze? Yes.
Walk in freezer? yes. (how did you miss this one? :p )
Pool? HELL F***ING YES!!!!! :D:D

* what else are Lara & Sam going to do in their down time? ;) :o

I think I overthink TR sometimes :D :p

We all over think TR. Why else would we be on this forum? :p :whistle: :o

TombRaider4EVERT
1st Jul 2013, 14:48
Obstacle course? Yes.
Winston? Yes.
Maze? Yes.
Walk in freezer? yes. (how did you miss this one? :p )
Pool? HELL F***ING YES!!!!! :D:D

* what else are Lara & Sam going to do in their down time? ;) :o

We all over think TR. Why else would we be on this forum? :p :whistle: :o

Actually, there would not be a pool! (or at least the brand new, Olympic pool in legend and anniversary) It was being constructed In anniversary, which is a part of the saga that WOULD HAVE BEEN taking place further along in Lara's life.

Chakram
1st Jul 2013, 15:02
I like the idea that Lara comes back to a run down croft manor but I don't want a TRL/U story arc in the game where everywhere Lara goes goes she says 'oh my father explored here' as it feels less like wow nobody has been to this Tomb before.

Yes I agree, I didn't mean they should do the father/parents thing to the same extent again. It could just be a starting off point for the story, rather than the whole story, with Lara discovering more than her father ever did.

now thinking of it what dr.croft said, a pet would be an interesting addition to laras home as well. i think an south american parrot would suit her as well. would be fun to see her having this bird on her shoulder :D

I remember in one of the books based on the Core Design cannon she had a parrot that used to belong to her Grandfather living in the conservatory :cool:

Jurre
1st Jul 2013, 15:33

Parts of it, maybe... But wouldn't it be much better when during the main campaign you can go to the trophy room and check out all the collectables you have found already and how much there's still to go?

Metalrocks
2nd Jul 2013, 12:42
Actually, there would not be a pool! (or at least the brand new, Olympic pool in legend and anniversary) It was being constructed In anniversary, which is a part of the saga that WOULD HAVE BEEN taking place further along in Lara's life.

sounds like an idea to upgrade the manor. like maybe arrange to build a pool and after several missions, its ready and lara can practice diving or other under water activities to reach places in other missions she wasnt able to reach before or for other missions.

@chakram
dint know that one. who knows, maybe we can choose what lara should have.

pomeranianpuppy
2nd Jul 2013, 17:02
WATER SLIDE!

Gemma_Darkmoon_
2nd Jul 2013, 17:37
sounds like an idea to upgrade the manor. like maybe arrange to build a pool and after several missions, its ready and lara can practice diving or other under water activities to reach places in other missions she wasnt able to reach before or for other missions.

@chakram
dint know that one. who knows, maybe we can choose what lara should have.

I remember how the mansion changed from game to game within the Core era. What would be cool is if the mansion started a little bit of wreck, not much to do and many locked doors. As you go through the game, completing sections and collecting GPS cashes then Winston repairs things and finds the missing keys so you can go to new areas. She could even share an odd memory with him about things she did in the house. when her parents were around.

Latter on in the game you might get things like the quad-bike, pool, gym, a wardrobe full of unlockable outfits to change into, artefact room etc. Makes it more worthwhile searching for extra items and gives the effect of a rebirth on Croft Manor much like we saw with Lara's rebirth in TR (2013).

Jurre
2nd Jul 2013, 17:39
^ That sounds good to me :thumb:

AdobeArtist
2nd Jul 2013, 21:35
WATER SLIDE!

Now we're talkin' !! :D:D:thumb::thumb:

DrCroft
2nd Jul 2013, 23:36
I remember how the mansion changed from game to game within the Core era. What would be cool is if the mansion started a little bit of wreck, not much to do and many locked doors. As you go through the game, completing sections and collecting GPS cashes then Winston repairs things and finds the missing keys so you can go to new areas. She could even share an odd memory with him about things she did in the house. when her parents were around.

Sounds like my fanfic I'm writing at the moment :p

Metalrocks
3rd Jul 2013, 10:50
sounds like an idea. lets see what CD will do or at least use part of our ideas.

New Dawn
3rd Jul 2013, 14:54
The ideas are reat on this thread. Hope CD do get to see them and maybe even use them.

pidipidi39
3rd Jul 2013, 15:54
The ideas are reat on this thread. Hope CD do get to see them and maybe even use them.
Meagan sent the link of this thread to Noah Huges! :D
So, let's wait and see :)

Driber
3rd Jul 2013, 19:11

The devs are watching ;)

Jurre
3rd Jul 2013, 19:15
... and waiting!

DUM dum dum!

DrCroft
3rd Jul 2013, 20:10
This is what I love about TR, it is a little community with feedback (when and where appropriate!) from both sides!

Jurre
3rd Jul 2013, 20:32
This is what I love about TR, it is a little community with feedback (when and where appropriate!) from both sides!

Exactly! That is why I firmly disagree with people who say that the developers should listen to the fans or are not listening hard enough... On the contrary, feedback from the community is perfectly transferred to the developers by way of Meagan and the developers checking the board from time to time... It's just that they cannot obey a complainers every outlandish wish...

Lara_Fan_84
4th Jul 2013, 17:30

True. :) But, if given a choice between taking a shower at home or at a hote/motel people would pick going home.

Driber
4th Jul 2013, 17:45
True. :) But, if given a choice between taking a shower at home or at a hote/motel people would pick going home.

Yeah, whenever people go on vacation to far destinations, they interrupt their trip every other day or so to fly hundreds or thousands of miles and spend additional hundreds of dollars just to take showers in their own home. Makes sense...

:nut:

CakeLuv
4th Jul 2013, 18:05
Yeah, whenever people go on vacation to far destinations, they interrupt their trip every other day or so to fly hundreds or thousands of miles and spend additional hundreds of dollars just to take showers in their own home. Makes sense...

Didn't you see he just said "if given a choice" you... horse!?

Driber
4th Jul 2013, 18:22
Didn't you see he just said "if given a choice" you... horse!?

Do you even know what we're talking about?

The contention here is Lara traveling all the way back to England after her Yamatai adventure instead of just sailing straight to Croatoan just for the comfort of taking a shower in her own house.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fallon-haay.gif

CakeLuv
4th Jul 2013, 18:28
She can **** on the plane.

Driber
4th Jul 2013, 18:35
She can **** on the plane.

Yeah, I suppose Lara could paint her face yellow and place two plasters over her mouth while on board an aircraft.

Don't see what that has to do with anything, though...

CakeLuv
4th Jul 2013, 18:39
Not sure either, I said she can Shi... poop on the plane and you bring irrelevant yellow faces to the conversation? mhah! :I

Driber
4th Jul 2013, 18:51
Not sure either, I said she can Shi... poop on the plane

No you didn't, look at what you posted :p

Anyway, what does Lara going to the bathroom on a plane has to do with anything?

CakeLuv
4th Jul 2013, 18:53
She can take a bath in the toilet C:

Driber
4th Jul 2013, 18:57
Dang, your debating skills are impeccable. I concede :worship:

CakeLuv
4th Jul 2013, 19:05
Ikr. baw to the king yall.

jimperkins350a
5th Jul 2013, 08:52
Anyone up for Photoshopping a nice collage of Croft manors (classic and LAU versions) to place in the OP? :)

That it would, indeed.

dark7angel
5th Jul 2013, 22:38

Since no one did it, I gave it a try! Hope it's not too bad! :o

jnoitq_Croft-Manor.jpg

Driber
5th Jul 2013, 22:41
That's fantastic!

Thanks, Marta. Putting it in the OP right now! :)

dark7angel
5th Jul 2013, 22:41
That's fantastic!

Thanks, Marta. Putting it in the OP right now! :)

Glad you like it! :D

XylophoneDealers
2nd Aug 2013, 19:23
So, should we expect Croft Apartment in TR11?

Driber
3rd Aug 2013, 11:44
So, should we expect Croft Apartment in TR11?

Why? :)

Jurre
3rd Aug 2013, 12:07
Why? :)

Probably because right now the writers seem to want Lara to be an ordinary girl who lives in an apartment and works in a tacotruck or something...

I said it before and I'll say it again: if they want Lara to be relatable to the average Joe then ditch the whole being born into wealth and nobilty plot all together, and make it that she works her way into that.

Let her find a big pirate treasure, (maybe that of the pirate in ACIV hahaha) let her safe London from being destroyed by Trinity; she'll then be rewarded by the queen with a manorhouse, the George Cross, the title of Commander of the British Empire and what not... And then she can work on restoring the tenantless manorhouse; filling it with artifacts she finds during her adventures like Ezio does in AC2.

That way she is basicly the Lara she always was, but she worked her way to that herself, instead of being some Paris Hilton being born into wealth...

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 12:21
Probably because right now the writers seem to want Lara to be an ordinary girl who lives in an apartment and works in a tacotruck or something...

I said it before and I'll say it again: if they want Lara to be relatable to the average Joe then ditch the whole being born into wealth and nobilty plot all together, and make it that she works her way into that.

Let her find a big pirate treasure, (maybe that of the pirate in ACIV hahaha) let her safe London from being destroyed by Trinity; she'll then be rewarded by the queen with a manorhouse, the George Cross, the title of Commander of the British Empire and what not... And then she can work on restoring the tenantless manorhouse; filling it with artifacts she finds during her adventures like Ezio does in AC2.

That way she is basicly the Lara she always was, but she worked her way to that herself, instead of being some Paris Hilton being born into wealth...

Oh my god imagine. Her working her way up in the world. Maybe in the next game she will find a certain relic by mistake and sell it and get millions! XD

Metalrocks
3rd Aug 2013, 12:49
that would be an interesting build up in her life and for the story. still living in a small apartment in london and wile she goes on adventure, she finds some value artifacts and sells it to the museum.
so maybe at the end of the game she will have her manor and we will be in it in the third game.
or as a reward we get the manor at the end and we can explore it just like in legend and anni.

Jurre
3rd Aug 2013, 12:54
or as a reward we get the manor at the end and we can explore it just like in legend and anni.

I wasn't really a fan of the manor unlocking at the end of the main campaign, but if that manor would be the reward for the heroic things the did in the campaign story, than that would make sense!

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 13:01
I wasn't really a fan of the manor unlocking at the end of the main campaign, but if that manor would be the reward for the heroic things the did in the campaign story, than that would make sense!

That would be amazing. I can just imagine it. I would love to see her work her way up. This time, she earns her lifestyle. And she will earn her money and her lifestyle.

I wonder in the next game if she will go to Roth's funeral. That would be interesting.

Metalrocks
3rd Aug 2013, 13:10

lol, on the pc version we already had full access to it. we dint had to complete the campaign to unlock it. all we had to do is solve all the puzzles in it.

what i mend is, that lara finishes her adventure and either gets the manor or decides to live in it because she needs space to keep her souvenirs. then we can explore it and do what ever we want.
maybe even do some small side missions (non life threatening) to renovate the manor.

Jurre
3rd Aug 2013, 13:13
lol, on the pc version we already had full access to it. we dint had to complete the campaign to unlock it. all we had to do is solve all the puzzles in it.

On the consoles as well: I was referring to the idea proposed in post #104 in this thread:

Driber
3rd Aug 2013, 14:00

Lara is by no means an "ordinary girl".

And the Paris Hilton comparison is just simply absurd. Let's not resort to stereotyping and portray all rich people as some kind of pariahs of the middle and lower class.

Being born into money or having a mansion in the family (remember, Lara does not necessarily have to live there, herself) doesn't make a person "unrelatable". At least not in my book. That's a way too narrow-minded thinking for my liking.

Anyway, my question was directed at XylophoneDealers, really. Instead of jumping to conclusions and re-hashing things, let's just wait to hear why he was talking about apartments :)

Metalrocks
3rd Aug 2013, 14:16
On the consoles as well: I was referring to the idea proposed in post #104 in this thread:

lol, ok, i see now. sorry for misunderstanding you.

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 14:23
Lara is by no means an "ordinary girl".

And the Paris Hilton comparison is just simply absurd. Let's not resort to stereotyping and portray all rich people as some kind of pariahs of the middle and lower class.

Being born into money or having a mansion in the family (remember, Lara does not necessarily have to live there, herself) doesn't make a person "unrelatable". At least not in my book. That's a way too narrow-minded thinking for my liking.

Anyway, my question was directed at XylophoneDealers, really. Instead of jumping to conclusions and re-hashing things, let's just wait to hear why he was talking about apartments :)

You called? :) :rasp:

Well, I thought about the way Lara had supposedly tried to distance herself from her wealth because she wanted to make her own way and that she thought that trifling with the money meant her parents were really gone.

Now I thought that since she had worked her way up herself and she had moved in somewhere. She had just come out of college so maybe she had somewhere to stay (bought, owned by her family). Maybe we will see this new home :)

However, I do believe that she will have a mansion. She may never live in it but it was her parents and since they are missing, she would be next of kin. This maybe she explores the mansion and stays there a night. And then another. And another. Eventually moves in. I'd like to see that.

Driber
3rd Aug 2013, 14:34
You called? :) :rasp:

Heh, that caught your attention, did it? :D

Well, I thought about the way Lara had supposedly tried to distance herself from her wealth because she wanted to make her own way and that she thought that trifling with the money meant her parents were really gone.

Now I thought that since she had worked her way up herself and she had moved in somewhere. She had just come out of college so maybe she had somewhere to stay (bought, owned by her family). Maybe we will see this new home :)

However, I do believe that she will have a mansion. She may never live in it but it was her parents and since they are missing, she would be next of kin. This maybe she explores the mansion and stays there a night. And then another. And another. Eventually moves in. I'd like to see that.

Hmmm, you bring up an interesting idea.

What if indeed Lara from the start refuses to live in the family mansion because, as the TR9 story goes, she wants to "make it on her own", and initially she only visits the place (to uncover secrets / mysteries, either regarding her parents, or regarding the explorations her father has done before her) from time to time while the mansion looks like a regular mansion, without all that high-tech stuff....... but then, over time, she gradually brings in all these artifacts she finds on her missions and technology to help her on her missions........ until finally the mansion will (more or less) look like the mansion how we all know it from the LAU games and the movies :)

And I suppose this doesn't all necessarily have to be packed into one single game - it could be spread out throughout several installments.

In short; a "mansion origin story", if you will, to tie in to the whole reboot theme :D

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 14:53
Heh, that caught your attention, did it? :D

Hmmm, you bring up an interesting idea.

What if indeed Lara from the start refuses to live in the family mansion because, as the TR9 story goes, she wants to "make it on her own", and initially she only visits the place (to uncover secrets / mysteries, either regarding her parents, or regarding the explorations her father has done before her) from time to time while the mansion looks like a regular mansion, without all that high-tech stuff....... but then, over time, she gradually brings in all these artifacts she finds on her missions and technology to help her on her missions........ until finally the mansion will (more or less) look like the mansion how we all know it from the LAU games and the movies :)

And I suppose this doesn't all necessarily have to be packed into one single game - it could be spread out throughout several installments.

In short; a "mansion origin story", if you will, to tie in to the whole reboot theme :D

I think that it's a reasonable idea. She just visits maybe to do errands etc. like you said. However she begins to become attached to the manor. When she thinks of home, she thinks of the mansion. And when she eventually finds and artefact, she puts it above the mantelpiece :) she moves in. And Lara needs a pet.

AdobeArtist
3rd Aug 2013, 16:49
I was giving considerable thought into Lara's return to her family estate. My first idea is actually quite simple - her experience on Yamatai changes her original outlook.

Yes we all know she had her reasons for distancing herself from her heritage and they are good ones. But at the same time it's easy to put things aside when one simply takes for granted that it'll always be there any time they wish to reclaim it at some point later one.

Consider now all Lara went through on that hellish island. How much she lost, but even yet how much more she could have lost. Coming so close to losing everything (her very life chief among that), one would most definitely have a change of perspective, namely to be more appreciative of what they had in their life and where they came from. It can even be as simple as how that experience can make one once again long to see the familiar surroundings where they grew up, for that sense of comfort they didn't realize they miss until it's too late.

The best thing is it doesn't contradict anything established by Rhianna. It just takes Lara's outlook and how the before and after of her harrowing experience brings it to a new perspective.

Then I had a more recent idea, one more story driven. So after Lara has returned to London and given enough time to tend her wounds in her flat, as she's regaining a semblance of her normal routine again, one unsuspecting day she receives a knock on the door.

What greets her there is a police officer and Winston. They tell her there was a break-in the previous night at the Croft Manor. Being that Lara is the estate holder and Winston the primary custodian, they are both informed of the incident.

So Lara has to go to the mansion to investigate the crime. They enter to see a manor that's been uninhabited for years, most of the furniture covered in tarps ans such with a good amount of dust. They see the attempt to break into the vault. But then Winston informs Lara that the true family treasures weren't kept in the vault which is more a decoy, but the catacombs that has it's own hidden entrance.

He then goes on to tell Lara of a message that her father left with him to tell her in case of such an event. The message that seems to be an innocent phrase is really a clue which only Lara could understand based on past interactions with her father. It turns out he left the "key" to the both of them in two parts.

Realizing the mercenaries will likely make more attempts to find this artifact, Lara realizes she has to make a temporary base of operations here to defend the manor and protect the artifact, which she still has to determine herself by exploring the labyrinth and puzzles of the catacombs.

I even figured Lara would get help from Reyes, who with her old police contacts would make recommendations for private security protection, people she knows can be trusted.

As the rest would go, travel to a few other locations to gather more clues about the Croft secret (the private security holds the fort in Lara's absense), find out ho's behind the raids, discover the secret kept by her father and keep the family heritage & legacy safe, grand adventure... yadda yadda yadda...

When it's all over Sam says to Lara, "so time to go home, huh?" to which Lara replies, "Actually Sam... I think we are home".

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 17:10
I was giving considerable thought into Lara's return to her family estate. My first idea is actually quite simple - her experience on Yamatai changes her original outlook.

Yes we all know she had her reasons for distancing herself from her heritage and they are good ones. But at the same time it's easy to put things aside when one simply takes for granted that it'll always be there any time they wish to reclaim it at some point later one.

Consider now all Lara went through on that hellish island. How much she lost, but even yet how much more she could have lost. Coming so close to losing everything (her very life chief among that), one would most definitely have a change of perspective, namely to be more appreciative of what they had in their life and where they came from. It can even be as simple as how that experience can make one once again long to see the familiar surroundings where they grew up, for that sense of comfort they didn't realize they miss until it's too late.

The best thing is it doesn't contradict anything established by Rhianna. It just takes Lara's outlook and how the before and after of her harrowing experience brings it to a new perspective.

Then I had a more recent idea, one more story driven. So after Lara has returned to London and given enough time to tend her wounds in her flat, as she's regaining a semblance of her normal routine again, one unsuspecting day she receives a knock on the door.

What greets her there is a police officer and Winston. They tell her there was a break-in the previous night at the Croft Manor. Being that Lara is the estate holder and Winston the primary custodian, they are both informed of the incident.

So Lara has to go to the mansion to investigate the crime. They enter to see a manor that's been uninhabited for years, most of the furniture covered in tarps ans such with a good amount of dust. They see the attempt to break into the vault. But then Winston informs Lara that the true family treasures weren't kept in the vault which is more a decoy, but the catacombs that has it's own hidden entrance.

He then goes on to tell Lara of a message that her father left with him to tell her in case of such an event. The message that seems to be an innocent phrase is really a clue which only Lara could understand based on past interactions with her father. It turns out he left the "key" to the both of them in two parts.

Realizing the mercenaries will likely make more attempts to find this artifact, Lara realizes she has to make a temporary base of operations here to defend the manor and protect the artifact, which she still has to determine herself by exploring the labyrinth and puzzles of the catacombs.

I even figured Lara would get help from Reyes, who with her old police contacts would make recommendations for private security protection, people she knows can be trusted.

As the rest would go, travel to a few other locations to gather more clues about the Croft secret (the private security holds the fort in Lara's absense), find out ho's behind the raids, discover the secret kept by her father and keep the family heritage & legacy safe, grand adventure... yadda yadda yadda...

When it's all over Sam says to Lara, "so time to go home, huh?" to which Lara replies, "Actually Sam... I think we are home".

Wow, ok I love that story - apart from one thing. Which I hate to say but - cut out Winston. As beautiful and amazing and outstanding as he was, he was the old Tomb Raider.

That story sounds brilliant. I really like the idea of her arriving at the crime scene, maybe she has to climb to the roof. I would like the house to be a large hub, along with the garden and the surrounding land. Maybe she finds an escape route in a nearby field. Which leads to the catacombs under the manor. But I wouldn't want the manor to be the same as the previous one. I would want it to be different. Something beautiful, with gorgeous architecture but homey. The LAU manor felt empty to me.

Maybe the manor can be an underlying part of the story. And I think it would be amazing if near the end the mercenaries reappear and try to raid it again. Maybe Lara and Sam are in the house and have to protect it.

Metalrocks
3rd Aug 2013, 17:28
Wow, ok I love that story - apart from one thing. Which I hate to say but - cut out Winston. As beautiful and amazing and outstanding as he was, he was the old Tomb Raider.

That story sounds brilliant. I really like the idea of her arriving at the crime scene, maybe she has to climb to the roof. I would like the house to be a large hub, along with the garden and the surrounding land. Maybe she finds an escape route in a nearby field. Which leads to the catacombs under the manor. But I wouldn't want the manor to be the same as the previous one. I would want it to be different. Something beautiful, with gorgeous architecture but homey. The LAU manor felt empty to me.

Maybe the manor can be an underlying part of the story. And I think it would be amazing if near the end the mercenaries reappear and try to raid it again. Maybe Lara and Sam are in the house and have to protect it.

lol, whats wrong with winston? lara trustworthy butler.
i think that would be a rip off from the movie if mercenaries will raid it. but thats just my opinion.

nice story adobe. looks like we have again plenty of ideas how the manor can be integrated in to the story.

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 17:36
lol, whats wrong with winston? lara trustworthy butler.
i think that would be a rip off from the movie if mercenaries will raid it. but thats just my opinion.

nice story adobe. looks like we have again plenty of ideas how the manor can be integrated in to the story.

Cause then we would be slipping directly back into the original Tomb Raider.

Yeah, maybe a particular person. Maybe Mathias' brother/sister. :D

AdobeArtist
3rd Aug 2013, 18:05

And a pool. Once the manor is fully restored, a pool is mandatory :)

As for Winston himself, c'mon, with all the times you see Batman reimagined (across almost 75 years by now) do you ever see him without Alfred or Commissioner Gordon? In that sense, Winston is just as integral to Lara's universe. He's a fundamental pillar :)

Metalrocks
3rd Aug 2013, 18:08

As for Winston himself, c'mon, with all the times you see Batman reimagined (across almost 75 years by now) do you ever see him without Alfred or Commissioner Gordon? In that sense, Winston is just as integral to Lara's universe. He's a fundamental pillar :)

exactly. you can almost say he is family.

XylophoneDealers
3rd Aug 2013, 18:11

Mmkay. I give in. But Lara must not become exactly her former self because that series didn't have innovation after a few games. (No offence intended to any of the Core era lovers :) )

AdobeArtist
3rd Aug 2013, 18:39
Mmkay. I give in. But Lara must not become exactly her former self because that series didn't have innovation after a few games. (No offence intended to any of the Core era lovers :) )

On that I agree completely. And we have already seen an evolution in Lara with her humanity and emotional depth.

Again to use the Alfred comparison, while his presence remained a constant, over 75 years his characterization and relationship to Bruce went through numerous interpretations from one creative team to another.

So the same could be with Winston, he'll be a familiar presence but just as with Lara herself, a re-envisioned version of the butler and confidante, a new look on an old staple.

Also the mansion, which is almost a character unto itself, will be a new version with a different "personality" from the ones of old. BUT... while they can change the interior design, the placement of the library, bed chambers, fireplace and what not... there BETTER still be a pool. You hear me Rhianna?? You don't dare take away the pool, grrrrr ;) :p

Ohhhh and maybe this time it can be Sam that Lara locks up in the walk in freezer from time to time :naughty: :lol:

Jurre
3rd Aug 2013, 20:48
lol, ok, i see now. sorry for misunderstanding you.

Oh don't be sorry I see how one could interpret it like that...

Anyway, I would like to say one more time that I thouroughly dislike the 'has money but doesn't want to use it'-premise. It's an incredibly forced attempt to reconcile Lara Crofts legacy as a billionaire adventurer and the new vision of her as a relatable character who has a late shift at the Nine Bells. It's typical behaviour from a writer or writing team who don't have the stomach to make hard decisions and just keep sitting on the fence like that... I pray to the heavens that Noah and the rest of the team may grow that stomach...

Danielsun_
3rd Aug 2013, 22:13
While I would love to see the mansion return (if done right (making it feel alive with people moving around and plenty of minigames)) but I can't help but feel it wouldn't be right unless set up properly and could completely undermine this new image Crystal Dynamics has for Lara. Sure we have had the Aristocratic Lara Croft with her seemingly unlimited resources but this new Lara strikes me as a more relate-able character, trying to make it out on her own, working for her adventures, who here knows any actual Aristocrat? whereas I'm sure we all know someone working for their dreams.

I'm not saying don't have the mansion back, just make sure it is done right and fits in with the story, intertwine it with a mission, and once you have completed the campaign you go back and play minigames.

Alternatively and now that I think about it, probably better, when the time is right, you could use the mansion as a central hub, much like the Normandy is in Mass Effect. You could see the artefacts you have uncovered in a trophy room, have a work bench for upgrading weapons, a map room for looking at places to go (again like the Normandy's galaxy map) and if Crystal wants to do it, have Lara's companions working in the mansion and coming on certain missions with her and this could then lead to integrated co-op play.

Jurre
3rd Aug 2013, 22:21
While I would love to see the mansion return (if done right (making it feel alive with people moving around and plenty of minigames)) but I can't help but feel it wouldn't be right unless set up properly and could completely undermine this new image Crystal Dynamics has for Lara. Sure we have had the Aristocratic Lara Croft with her seemingly unlimited resources but this new Lara strikes me as a more relate-able character, trying to make it out on her own, working for her adventures, who here knows any actual Aristocrat? whereas I'm sure we all know someone working for their dreams.

My thoughts exactly :thumb: , did you read my idea in post #140 of this thread on how to entwine the manor and aristocraticness with the relatability of the character?

Danielsun_
3rd Aug 2013, 22:27
My thoughts exactly :thumb: , did you read my idea in post #140 of this thread on how to entwine the manor and aristocraticness with the relatability of the character?

I'll be honest, I read the first page and skipped to the last as I'm quite tired. I'm just about to head to bed now but I'll be sure to read it tomorrow afternoon.

Edit: I just read it, yeah I like that Idea, maybe could use both that idea and my second. once she has earned the mansion it becomes a base of operations that she can improve

AdobeArtist
3rd Aug 2013, 22:29
Alternatively and now that I think about it, probably better, when the time is right, you could use the mansion as a central hub, much like the Normandy is in Mass Effect. You could see the artefacts you have uncovered in a trophy room, have a work bench for upgrading weapons, a map room for looking at places to go (again like the Normandy's galaxy map) and if Crystal wants to do it, have Lara's companions working in the mansion and coming on certain missions with her and this could then lead to integrated co-op play.

Now this I like :thumb: :D

Oh and her private quarters could also serve as the proper setting for some quality time in between missions with Sam, much like Shepard's quarters were the setting for his/her personal interactions with the favored crew. ;) ;) The private shower could be another romantic setting :naughty::naughty: :whistle::whistle:

Wild
3rd Aug 2013, 22:36

I like your idea. Very much.

Driber
4th Aug 2013, 15:18

Cause then we would be slipping directly back into the original Tomb Raider.

You know, I'm sometimes really surprised to see these kinds of knee-jerk reactions when it comes to previous games. No offense to you, XD :)

There's in my view absolutely nothing wrong with having Winston in another TR game. Just because the magical word "reboot" was mentioned during the last campaign, doesn't mean we should just throw away the entire franchise into the bin. That would be crazy. Might as well start a brand new franchise then, instead, and "let TR die in peace" :whistle:

As was mentioned by AA, no one thought to chuck out Alfred after the Batman reboot because he was "old Batman", so why on earth would it be a problem in TR?

I know from your later post that you've changed your mind about Winston, but I'd like to learn the reasoning behind your initial aversion. I mean, more than just "going back to old Lara" :)

I think it's silly to use the term "rip off" when it comes to the same franchise. "Rip off" sounds pretty strong and IMO is a term that should be reserved for situations where one dev blatantly copies a different, competing dev.

If in TR10 Lara has a bow, you wouldn't call that a "rip off from TR9", would you? :scratch:

Oh and mercenaries raiding Lara's home originates from TR2, not the movie ;)

exactly. you can almost say he is family.

Agreed with AA and Metal.

And not only can Winston be considered family and a pillar of the franchise, but Winston also opens up interesting plot possibilities for future games, having been the family butler for a long time. Remember how well it worked for the Roth character? :)

Heh, no offense taken :)

(FYI, I'm actually a lover of all eras, not just the classic era :cool:)

As for your worry about Lara becoming exactly her former self - that's impossible; you shouldn't worry about that.

The devs made a big jump and a huge gamble with the reboot and with the re-visioning of Lara and the franchise. Now that we've seen that the gamble has paid off and that it has reclaimed Lara's fame (well, maybe not entirely, but it's a work-in-progress, for sure :)) it would be madness to turn Lara back into her exact former self.

What I think we need to do is look at the bits of old Lara that didn't work and lose those, and look at the bits of old Lara that worked (or had potential) and utilize those better.

In my book, Winston falls into that latter category :)

Ohhhh and maybe this time it can be Sam that Lara locks up in the walk in freezer from time to time :naughty: :lol:

Women in refrigerators? Don't let Anita hear you! :eek:

:p :D

Anyway, I would like to say one more time that I thouroughly dislike the 'has money but doesn't want to use it'-premise. It's an incredibly forced attempt to reconcile Lara Crofts legacy as a billionaire adventurer and the new vision of her as a relatable character who has a late shift at the Nine Bells. It's typical behaviour from a writer or writing team who don't have the stomach to make hard decisions and just keep sitting on the fence like that... I pray to the heavens that Noah and the rest of the team may grow that stomach...

To provide the above with a bit of nuance - these are personal assumptions and hangups. Not to be confused with actual facts.

AFAIK, there is not really much information out in the public to really conclude anything regarding the devs' thoughts on Lara's heritage.

As for the "growing that stomach" comment - I think that the huge gamble I spoke of earlier in this post shows that the team has already grown it a long time ago :cool:

I kind of think we should separate this "undermine" argumentation from actual subjects, such as the manor, Lara's outfit, her back story, her heritage, etc.

The crux of most of these subjects is IMO how it is done matters the most, not if it is done or not.

Good ideas! That's what I love to see... and what this thread is all about, really.

I'm pretty sure the "live trophy room" idea has already been mentioned before some time ago in this thread, though, but the weapons upgrade work bench and the map room sounds cool!

I haven't played any ME games yet, though. Do you have any example videos to illustrate exactly how you think it should be implemented? :)

AdobeArtist
4th Aug 2013, 15:30
I haven't played any ME games yet...

sharp. intake. of breaaaaaath... :eek::eek:

The generation defining IP... Driber... say it ain't so. Say it ain't so!!! :(

Jurre
4th Aug 2013, 15:49
To provide the above with a bit of nuance - these are personal assumptions and hangups. Not to be confused with actual facts.

AFAIK, there is not really much information out in the public to really conclude anything regarding the devs' thoughts on Lara's heritage.

It's what they call an educated guess, made by a guy who is a writer himself.

As for the "growing that stomach" comment - I think that the huge gamble I spoke of earlier in this post shows that the team has already grown it a long time ago :cool:

I don't call it a gamble. It's natural for a longstanding franchise to evolve in a fast changing business like the game business. To stay the same is to go against the flow. For that reason reboots are everywere: Spiderman, Superman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's origin stories all over the place. People joke about the Marvell comics rebooting every three years and they are probably right...
Also, since Square took over and starting to reorganize things a new writing team was assembled. There's Rhianna Pratchett of course and I don't remember Noah Hughes from a previous Tr game either. With a new team it is obvious that they have their own vision for the character. But what I see happening is that they were not willing to completely devorce Lara from some of her previous charactaristiscs that don't quite fit in the current incarnation. But perhaps they should have had the stomach to do that, because in my opinion their way to try to reconcile that past and the current incarnation is a very clumsy one.

Driber
4th Aug 2013, 16:21
sharp. intake. of breaaaaaath... :eek::eek:

The generation defining IP... Driber... say it ain't so. Say it ain't so!!! :(

Ha, well, to be more precise - I did play some bits, but not the part that Daniel was referring to, hence the request for example videos :)

It's what they call an educated guess, made by a guy who is a writer himself.

If you're implying that your opinion has more merit than those of whom are not in the writing business, I think that statement is rather presumptuous.

I don't call it a gamble. It's natural for a longstanding franchise to evolve in a fast changing business like the game business. To stay the same is to go against the flow. For that reason reboots are everywere: Spiderman, Superman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's origin stories all over the place. People joke about the Marvell comics rebooting every three years and they are probably right...
Also, since Square took over and starting to reorganize things a new writing team was assembled. There's Rhianna Pratchett of course and I don't remember Noah Hughes from a previous Tr game either. With a new team it is obvious that they have their own vision for the character. But what I see happening is that they were not willing to completely devorce Lara from some of her previous charactaristiscs that don't quite fit in the current incarnation. But perhaps they should have had the stomach to do that, because in my opinion their way to try to reconcile that past and the current incarnation is a very clumsy one.

Well I do call it a gamble. And so did CD.

And SE's acquisition is irreverent in this discussion, really, since we know that CD had full creative freedom on TR9.

As for "not wanting to divorce from old Lara" regarding Lara's money - again, these are in my view baseless assumptions. I say let's wait and see how this unfolds in future installments, instead of jumping the gun and criticizing the devs for something you're not even sure of.

Jurre
4th Aug 2013, 16:47
If you're implying that your opinion has more merit than those of whom are not in the writing business, I think that statement is rather presumptuous.

Yeah, just like an astronaut doesn't know how to fly a spacecraft any better than a taxi driver right?

Well I do call it a gamble. And so did CD.Really? When?

And SE's acquisition is irreverent in this discussion, really, since we know that CD had full creative freedom on TR9.Yes, and did they have so before? And did they have such a large budget and so much time at their disposal under the old Eidos when making Tr Underworld for example? Trunderworld surely felt rushed for that... The takeover from Square is definately relevant here...

As for "not wanting to divorce from old Lara" regarding Lara's money - again, these are in my view baseless assumptions. I say let's wait and see how this unfolds in future installments, instead of jumping the gun and criticizing the devs for something you're not even sure of.
They are not baseless and I can make perfect assumptions based on what I know. Should new information become available, than that point of view may have to be adapted. That's how reasoning works...

Driber
4th Aug 2013, 17:20
Yeah, just like an astronaut doesn't know how to fly a spacecraft any better than a taxi driver right?

I'm sorry, but that comparison doesn't work whatsoever. You're comparing apples to pitayas now.

Really? When?

I don't really remember where it was; it's probably buried somewhere in some of the threads around here. But it was either during, or after the last campaign.

Yes, and did they have so before? And did they have such a large budget and so much time at their disposal under the old Eidos when making Tr Underworld for example? Trunderworld surely felt rushed for that... The takeover from Square is definately relevant here...

The acquisition enabled CD to make this TR. They threw a bunch of money their way and let them make the game they felt like making. Does this mean CD finally made the game they've wanted to make for a long time? Or does this mean the change of guard was the main reason for the reboot?

Who knows. It's all speculation.

The acquisition is indeed irrelevant in the argument of the reboot being a big gamble and risk. There's just no question about that, IMO - acquisition or not, changing of guard or not; the reboot could have easily flopped and a successful outcome was by no means a sure thing.

(I'm sure glad it turned out well, though :))

They are not baseless and I can make perfect assumptions based on what I know. Should new information become available, than that point of view may have to be adapted. That's how reasoning works...

IMO they are largely baseless when you have nothing but your personal experience as a writer to go on and apply it to other writers. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree on that point, as it's rather trivial, really :)

Heh, I'm not saying you can't make assumptions. Hell, our forum is jam-packed with 'em :D and I myself like doing a fair bit of speculation from time-to-time, too :cool:

I'm merely saying that I think you shouldn't present these wild assumptions as facts.

Jurre
4th Aug 2013, 17:54
I'm sorry, but that comparison doesn't work whatsoever. You're comparing apples to pitayas now.

Apples and pitayas are both members of the spermatophytes. Look I am not trying to blow my own horn here, but I believe that false modesty is just a departure from the thruth as to overstate ones abilities. And given the fact that my work was good enough to be commercially plublished I do have reasons to think that my opinions regarding the story have a tiny bit more weight to them than those of someone who is not a writer. As do my proposals for alternatives I think...

Regarding the so called gamble: it's hard to believe that a company would throw millions of dollars into something that they thought of as a gamble. Other than the usual uncertainty that comes with doing business. If that was the case and I was a Square Enix shareholder I would withdraw my money. I'm sure anyone from Crystal D called it that but I'll take that with a grain of salt. PR talk is always made to make it sound thrilling. A reboot and/or origin story is not a gamble: it's a very commonly used creative tactic to breathe fresh air into a franchise and just as it guarantees to piss off oldschool fans, so does it guarantee to draw in new ones. Ask J.J.Abrams from the new Star Trek franchise, ask the guys from the new Spiderman or Superman films. There's so much reboots, reimaginings, origin stories and what not that it's getting annoying...

IMO they are largely baseless when you have nothing but your personal experience as a writer to go on.

lol, I'm not saying you can't make assumptions. Hell, our forum is jam-packed with 'em :D and I myself like doing a fair bit of speculation, too :cool:

I'm merely saying that, in my view, you shouldn't present assumptions as facts. Well usually my posts are riddeled with 'I believes', 'in my opinions' and 'I thinks'. Now I happen to have one that doesn't have any of that and I get called out on it. I guess that's how it works, like the police officer who gives people tickets for not having a light on their bicycle for one night, instead of giving them money for all the nights that they do have a light on...

Danielsun_
4th Aug 2013, 18:09
Now this I like :thumb: :D

Oh and her private quarters could also serve as the proper setting for some quality time in between missions with Sam, much like Shepard's quarters were the setting for his/her personal interactions with the favored crew. ;) ;) The private shower could be another romantic setting :naughty::naughty: :whistle::whistle:

Exactly! :)

I like your idea. Very much.

Glad you liked it :)

I kind of think we should separate this "undermine" argumentation from actual subjects, such as the manor, Lara's outfit, her back story, her heritage, etc.

The crux of most of these subjects is IMO how it is done matters the most, not if it is done or not.

Good ideas! That's what I love to see... and what this thread is all about, really.

I'm pretty sure the "live trophy room" idea has already been mentioned before some time ago in this thread, though, but the weapons upgrade work bench and the map room sounds cool!

I haven't played any ME games yet, though. Do you have any example videos to illustrate exactly how you think it should be implemented? :)

Yeah you're right, I don't want to undermine the topic, but I was trying to say it should be done properly and not just thrown in there.

Excellent, I glad you liked my idea, it was just something I was rolling with late last night. I also think we could have a library to store books that we find on adventures and can read at our own leisure, like a codex, but instead of opening it from the main menu actually getting lara to get the book from the shelf. Having a training room as per usual, with interactive gun play.

Anyway as requested here are some videos of the Normandy for some inspiration:

IVIwpQ7tzT0

You are going to want to skip to a about 2:20 (Mass Effect spoilers)

So at first the character is in his private quaters which also acts as a trophy room but for our mansion we can have two separate rooms for that, like in ME we could have Lara's private quaters to change clothes in a large wardrobe

Afterwards Shepard is on his main floor, this for us could be the ground floor of croft Manor, with the lobby at the front, a science lab or work room for upgrades at the back. On the right hand side of the property (just as an example) we could have the map/meeting room, here Lara and crew will discuss where to go on new adventures, what to take, prerequisites etc

Upstairs we could have peoples rooms (where some of the crew/Winston or friends hang out, as well as various guest rooms for temporary members) not sure whether to have trophy room on ground floor or first floor, I think ground floor would be best so if we get any big ass trophies, we can get them in :p

of course we need our standard mansion stuff, I've already said a training room, we could have a shooting gallery as well although the two could be integrated as one, external race course thing (like TR3's course) swimming pools (internal and external) all sorts :)

TranceTrouble
4th Aug 2013, 20:49
Apples and pitayas are both members of the spermatophytes. Look I am not trying to blow my own horn here, but I believe that false modesty is just a departure from the thruth as to overstate ones abilities. And given the fact that my work was good enough to be commercially plublished I do have reasons to think that my opinions regarding the story have a tiny bit more weight to them than those of someone who is not a writer. As do my proposals for alternatives I think...

you are perfectly allowed to think that, but aren't "the general people", the ones that aren't writers, the ones that actually buy books the ones that should enjoy reading and experiencing it, and therefore by reading more different books be the ones to be listened to? in my point of view other writers are not having a more weighty opinion.

Well usually my posts are riddeled with 'I believes', 'in my opinions' and 'I thinks'. Now I happen to have one that doesn't have any of that and I get called out on it. I guess that's how it works, like the police officer who gives people tickets for not having a light on their bicycle for one night, instead of giving them money for all the nights that they do have a light on...
talking in riddles doesn't make it easy for people to understand you, sir.

and what kind of comparison is that:scratch:
if you should reward everyone for doing something good the whole state would be bankrupt.

Jurre
4th Aug 2013, 21:21
you are perfectly allowed to think that, but aren't "the general people", the ones that aren't writers, the ones that actually buy books the ones that should enjoy reading and experiencing it, and therefore by reading more different books be the ones to be listened to? in my point of view other writers are not having a more weighty opinion.Well it's about whether people have the ability to analyse a story, to deconstruct it and to understand what makes a story work, what makes it strong and what not. Of course a reader can have such abilities, but to a writer of fiction it is vital.

talking in riddles doesn't make it easy for people to understand you, sir.

I am not talking about riddles. 'Riddled' = to be spread throughout. As in: the exam is riddled with errors.

What I was saying is that I always carefully state that my opinions are my own. I just forgot that in that one post, and immidiately I am called out on that. I am not saying that is bad, I just found that remarkable...

and what kind of comparison is that:scratch:
if you should reward everyone for doing something good the whole state would be bankrupt. I was jesting there... :rolleyes:

Driber
4th Aug 2013, 22:57
Apples and pitayas are both members of the spermatophytes.

And astronauts and taxi drivers are both members of the human species.

Look I am not trying to blow my own horn here, but I believe that false modesty is just a departure from the thruth as to overstate ones abilities. And given the fact that my work was good enough to be commercially plublished I do have reasons to think that my opinions regarding the story have a tiny bit more weight to them than those of someone who is not a writer. As do my proposals for alternatives I think...

I appreciate you informing me that you're not trying to blow your own horn. I certainly aspire to one day be able to do something so proficiently without even trying.

In all seriousness, if I had to choose between false modesty and the way you chose to put your opinion forward ("I'm a writer and therefore I know how Prachett thinks better than the rest of you"), I'd certainly opt for the safe route and go for the former any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

To each their own, of course, but I'm afraid it won't score you many sympathy points this way.

But why does it have to be a choice between false modesty and being presumptuous anyway?
There's also a thing called genuine modesty :whistle:

Regarding the so called gamble: it's hard to believe that a company would throw millions of dollars into something that they thought of as a gamble.

Well, believe it. It happens all the time. Silicon Valley (where CD so happens to be located, which may say something) is jam-packed with risk-takers. In fact, it's a whole culture down there.

Many companies do bold moves and many fail. Millions, if not billions, of dollars are lost each year due to daring plans that don't pan out the way they were projected to.

I'm sure anyone from Crystal D called it that but I'll take that with a grain of salt. PR talk is always made to make it sound thrilling.

So you go from not knowing which quotes I am referring to (and, judging from the context of your text, still not knowing) to "knowing" that whatever I'm referring to was just "mere PR talk", in the course of 1 single response.

Astounding!

Where do I sign up for these amazing spidey senses? :p

A reboot and/or origin story is not a gamble

Ah yes, because as we all know - reboot flops do not exist and every origin story is a guaranteed success.

Right.

Well usually my posts are riddeled with 'I believes', 'in my opinions' and 'I thinks'. Now I happen to have one that doesn't have any of that and I get called out on it. I guess that's how it works, like the police officer who gives people tickets for not having a light on their bicycle for one night, instead of giving them money for all the nights that they do have a light on...

Let's not portray a faux picture of a police speed trap here. My initial response to your post offered some much needed nuance, for those who may not have all the information and assume that your criticism towards CD was as it was wrongly portrayed - based on facts.

Offering nuance is hardly the same thing as "calling you out on it". I think you're taking it too personal / too serious.

What I was saying is that I always carefully state that my opinions are my own. I just forgot that in that one post, and immidiately I am called out on that. I am not saying that is bad, I just found that remarkable...

Hate to sound nitpicky, but that wasn't the first time your opinion was presented as fact.

And I don't see what's so remarkable. The post stood out enough to be commented on its style. Unless you're implying something else...

Yeah you're right, I don't want to undermine the topic, but I was trying to say it should be done properly and not just thrown in there.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I was referring to the contention that having Winston in another TR game undermines the spirit of the reboot.

I didn't mean that your input was undermining the topic. Please, by all means, feel free to go a bit OT. I myself am just as guilty of doing just that :D

Regarding the ME thing - thanks for the video!

Certainly interesting ideas on how to possibly implement Lara's manor are all up in the air, and that's great :)

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 08:59
CLASSIC MANOR with MODERN GRAPHICS asdfghj. GET IT FOR TRsequel. asdfgh.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/q71/1002137_417524391699889_1894226755_n.jpg

Wow that looks cool. Where did you find it? Is it a TRLE level?

Would be so awesome to see how the manor would look like on state-of-the art next gen graphics...

Jurre
5th Aug 2013, 09:54
Astounding!

Where do I sign up for these amazing spidey senses? :p

I don't like that sort of attitude in a serious discussion and considering how this debate doesn't look like it's ever going to reach a conclusion I'm gonna end it here. Also to give this topic the chance to get back on track.

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 11:38
I don't like that sort of attitude in a serious discussion and considering how this debate doesn't look like it's ever going to reach a conclusion I'm gonna end it here. Also to give this topic the chance to get back on track.

Tit for tat, Jurre. You jest me, I jest you. If you want a super serious debate, then hold one, and stay away from the snarky/smart-ass jokes. (I had no problem with yours, BTW, but if you dish them, so should you be ready to take them :cool:)

And my previous post served as an effort to get the topic back on track, so agreed on that point :)

Jurre
5th Aug 2013, 12:12
Tit for tat, Jurre. You jest me, I jest you. If you want a super serious debate, then hold one, and stay away from the snarky/smart-ass jokes. (I had no problem with yours, BTW, but if you dish them, so should you be ready to take them :cool:)

No, that was on a completely different level. Also, to be a pleasant conversationalist it doesn't hurt to admit that you are wrong from time to time. But I have the feeling that you will never change your mind once you've made it up and have a terrible fear of admitting you are wrong about something. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK! This is an honest advice! Do with it whatever you like. Now let's get back to mansion talk...

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 14:18
No, that was on a completely different level. Also, to be a pleasant conversationalist it doesn't hurt to admit that you are wrong from time to time. But I have the feeling that you will never change your mind once you've made it up and have a terrible fear of admitting you are wrong about something. THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK! This is an honest advice! Do with it whatever you like. Now let's get back to mansion talk...

A completely different level? That's your opinion and I disagree with it.

Thanks for the advice, I don't take it as an attack, however, I do find it patronizing and hypocritical, and as a personal rule, I prefer to take advice from unbiased people.

Let's just move on from this, please.

Sina_Croft
5th Aug 2013, 14:32
Wow that looks cool. Where did you find it? Is it a TRLE level?

Would be so awesome to see how the manor would look like on state-of-the art next gen graphics...

Found it :

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159809

Saw it pass on facebook, HAD to know MOOORREEEE :P Love it :P
kthxbye xD

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 14:37
Found it :

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159809

Saw it pass on facebook, HAD to know MOOORREEEE :P Love it :P
kthxbye xD

Awww, it's a 3D software render and not a TRLE level. That's a shame. Would've been cool to play that :(

Still, those are some damn fine renders:

Original
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9533/65663629.jpg
Redone(mostly Finished)
Redone
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2946/3dview3copy.jpg
Indoor Pool Original
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9778/poolorigi.jpg
Redone(not finished)
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4823/pool2s.jpg
Finished
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1668/poolcopy.jpg

Imma put them in the OP, for inspiration :)

Thank for finding those, Sina :thumb:

Metalrocks
5th Aug 2013, 14:41
really nice pics and when upgraded with todays graphics, it will look stunning. would be really good to know if they will use the old manor or the new once from LAU or give it a complete re do.

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 14:47
really nice pics and when upgraded with todays graphics, it will look stunning. would be really good to know if they will use the old manor or the new once from LAU or give it a complete re do.

...and if not, Lara herself, will.

SQxakSF3LRk

marsoa
5th Aug 2013, 15:09
I've played many amazing Croft Mansion custom levels, but I am totally anti-maze! :D

The mansion images bring back lovely memories, and it would have been nice to see it back, but I doubt it's gonna happen, since Lara is a different character with different background now...

I would actually love to see the mansion again, but not just as a stand alone training level, but more implemented in the game itself.

Of course it doesn't hurt to admit one's faults. But you should have sent this message to yourself. I do not see anything wrong with his posts in your conversation.
You know, many of your posts on the forum are full of your offensively patronizing and pretentious attitude, including your conversation with Driber in this thread. Obviously you don't see it, nor realize it, but that is your own problem. Unfortunately, you see only others at fault and also lash out whenever someone dares to just poke a joke at you. And that's just unfair.

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 15:16
Appreciate the support, marsoa, but I think it's better to move on.

On topic - if there's anything I've learned during my days as a level designer it's to keep mazes completely optional for the players, heh.

Mazes are one of those things most people are very polarized about; they either love them or hate them :D

So *if* we'll see another incarnation of the manor with a maze in its gardens, it shouldn't hide any items needed to advance in the game.

Sina_Croft
5th Aug 2013, 15:18
Awww, it's a 3D software render and not a TRLE level. That's a shame. Would've been cool to play that :(

Still, those are some damn fine renders:

Imma put them in the OP, for inspiration :)

Thank for finding those, Sina :thumb:
^^ np!
It's too bad indeed, 3D renders can be soooo wonderful and misleading xD They're like a Fata Morgana! :eek:
And btw, these images are made in 2009, so really high end aren't those really, so I'm really curious to what to see next ^^

marsoa
5th Aug 2013, 15:31
Appreciate the support, marsoa, but I think it's better to move on.

np :)

Mazes are one of those things most people are very polarized about; they either love them or hate them :D

In general I oppose mazes in games, but many times when I come across a maze I either feel like it's gonna be easy and enjoyable and then I end up feeling frustrated and miserable after an hour or more struggling to find the exit, or I feel it's gonna be a drag at first and then I have a great time. So I could be bipolar about it :D

Driber
5th Aug 2013, 15:35
^^ np!
It's too bad indeed, 3D renders can be soooo wonderful and misleading xD They're like a Fata Morgana! :eek:

Ha, exactly what I thought when I saw the rest of them :D

And btw, these images are made in 2009, so really high end aren't those really, so I'm really curious to what to see next ^^

It's pre-rendered, though. CGI graphics from 2009 are still better than today's realtime graphics. Remember, Jurassic Park used similar software and that was done all the way back in '93 :)

In general I oppose mazes in games, but many times when I come across a maze I either feel like it's gonna be easy and enjoyable and then I end up feeling frustrated and miserable after an hour or more struggling to find the exit, or I feel it's gonna be a drag at first and then I have a great time. So I could be bipolar about it :D

KEEP TO THE RIGHT, CLARICE!

Heh, a good ("cheating") strategy for mazes is to always keep turning right. In most cases, you'll eventually find the exit :D

marsoa
5th Aug 2013, 15:42
KEEP TO THE RIGHT, CLARICE!

Heh, a good ("cheating") strategy for mazes is to always keep turning right. In most cases, you'll eventually find the exit :D

:vlol:

To the right? Well quite a few times when I felt annoyed I just stumbled upon a maze, I did precisely that, but then I found out I kept going in circles! :mad2: :p

pidipidi39
5th Aug 2013, 17:34
I would love a completely new manor... it would be more exciting to explore! :D

But... I would like it to have the same style as the LAU one.
Not something too old and... creepy.

VaBanes
5th Aug 2013, 21:25
Another idea I've read in another thread: "No croft manor, but a sort of home that we can explore, since Lara doesn't accept her riches."

This would be an acceptable alternative in my opinion. Nonetheless I would like to come back to the croft manor but I think Lara should at least feel kinda uncomfortable about it.

MagnaBass
5th Aug 2013, 21:50
Another idea I've read in another thread: "No croft manor, but a sort of home that we can explore, since Lara doesn't accept her riches."

This would be an acceptable alternative in my opinion. Nonetheless I would like to come back to the croft manor but I think Lara should at least feel kinda uncomfortable about it.

THIS, I LOVE THIS IDEA.:D

Metalrocks
6th Aug 2013, 11:21
lol, that would be really funny if lara would do that to her own home.
"i woke up and hated everything". damn, she must have really a bad temper :p.

pomeranianpuppy
6th Aug 2013, 11:42
The mansion images bring back lovely memories, and it would have been nice to see it back, but I doubt it's gonna happen, since Lara is a different character with different background now...

I'm feeling quite optimistic about a mansion comeback.

If CD were completely against it I doubt they would of asked for our opinions

Driber
9th Aug 2013, 06:46
lol, that would be really funny if lara would do that to her own home.
"i woke up and hated everything". damn, she must have really a bad temper :p.

What else is new :D

Metalrocks
9th Aug 2013, 10:37
What else is new :D

lol, you mean for lara or generally for some women? i know my wife has these occasional moments but dint tear apart the house :p

Driber
10th Aug 2013, 14:11
lol, you mean for lara or generally for some women? i know my wife has these occasional moments but dint tear apart the house :p

You were talking about Lara, so that's what I was referring to. She's not exactly a docile person, heh.

As for women in general - no idea, but as for my girlfriend and I, I'm the one from the two of us who's got that rearrange streak, heh. I get easily bored with furniture and like to mix thing up every half a year or so :D

Bekim
10th Aug 2013, 14:14
Yes, in every tomb raider.

AdobeArtist
10th Aug 2013, 14:34

That's what you have home insurance for :p :whistle:

Metalrocks
10th Aug 2013, 15:25
That's what you have home insurance for :p :whistle:

let me guess. because something like this might happen:
As1fCmH_sRI

imelda
11th Aug 2013, 17:14
Yeah!! With a super awesome artefact / observatory room please!

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/632801/936full-lemony-snicket%27s-a-series-of-unfortunate-events-screenshot.jpg

Lord Martok
11th Aug 2013, 17:22
Yeah!! With a super awesome artefact / observatory room please!

http://ilarge.listal.com/image/632801/936full-lemony-snicket%27s-a-series-of-unfortunate-events-screenshot.jpg

And a full on BSDM room....for her naughtier moments. :D

Just kidding.

TranceTrouble
11th Aug 2013, 18:23
let me guess. because something like this might happen:
As1fCmH_sRI

lol lets not generalize to much i know a few woman that are great builders :p
but would be interesting to see a fresh rebuild mansion :D

Driber
11th Aug 2013, 20:28
lol lets not generalize to much i know a few woman that are great builders :p

And conversely, some men are horrible builders.

qAmXEo_Rgoo

Metalrocks
12th Aug 2013, 10:04
And conversely, some men are horrible builders.

qAmXEo_Rgoo

yes, some men do suck with this but i highly doubt they suck that much.

@trance
yes, i know, we have some women who work on building sides and know how to drill a hole in to a wall.
but some really cant like my mother and my wife.

but yes, having a totally new or different looking manor would be nice.

Murphdawg1
12th Aug 2013, 15:14
I think an interesting idea for the mansion would be to use it as a preparation area for each adventure Lara goes on and maybe even let the player choose the order in which they want to play the different adventures. There you would select the adventure, the gear and outfits you'd want to take. It could also be an area for the player to use as downtime in between adventures where Lara could go swimming or do like kickboxing or some kind of MMA or play tennis.

TranceTrouble
12th Aug 2013, 16:48
I think an interesting idea for the mansion would be to use it as a preparation area for each adventure Lara goes on and maybe even let the player choose the order in which they want to play the different adventures. There you would select the adventure, the gear and outfits you'd want to take. It could also be an area for the player to use as downtime in between adventures where Lara could go swimming or do like kickboxing or some kind of MMA or play tennis.

i like where this is going, would be cool to have a little tool/workshop where Lara could upgrade or build gadgets :naughty:

Agent Croft
21st Aug 2013, 15:05
I would like to see the weapon upgrades linked to a weapons and target practase room in the Manor and new abilities linked in to the gym so she has some time working out and gains improved skills. That would be cool.

IvanaKC
21st Aug 2013, 18:40
I would like to see Croft Manor in every single TR game from now on. It's simply a place where a player can do whatever he wants, some kind of relaxing level.

Although your idea sounds good, I think we would lose the original feeling of the game. You have to come unprepared for the level, otherwise it's not an adventure and nothing can surprise you. Isn't that what it is all about in TR games - surprising enemy attacks, booby traps...
As for choosing the order of adventures, well, that's what we had before TR Underworld, didn't we? :scratch:

pidipidi39
21st Aug 2013, 18:49
As for choosing the order of adventures, well, that's what we had before TR Underworld, didn't we? :scratch:
No we didn't?
Only in TR3 you was able to chose the order of the locations IIRC :)

IvanaKC
21st Aug 2013, 18:56
No we didn't?
Only in TR3 you was able to chose the order of the locations IIRC :)

Strange, I haven't noticed that. :scratch: Maybe we have something different in mind because I could swear that you could've finished the game in one and only exact order (because of the storyline).

Driber
22nd Aug 2013, 18:16
Strange, I haven't noticed that. :scratch: Maybe we have something different in mind because I could swear that you could've finished the game in one and only exact order (because of the storyline).

In TR3, when you finish the India set of levels, you're free to choose where you travel next - London, Nevada, South Pacific or Antarctica.

And after completing each subsequent set of levels in the same geographical location, you're again free to choose until you've completed all sets.

vouktGsCnsw

IvanaKC
22nd Aug 2013, 19:05
In TR3, when you finish the India set of levels, you're free to choose where you travel next - London, Nevada, South Pacific or Antarctica.

And after completing each subsequent set of levels in the same geographical location, you're again free to choose until you've completed all sets.

That is the first time I am seeing this. How did I miss such a huge thing? I remember having a bad time trying to finish Nevada levels and I was so eager to see what was the next level, but I was able to find that out the whole time. :lol:

Oh, God, I feel so stupid now...

Driber
22nd Aug 2013, 19:24
LOL. Too funny! :D

Error96_
22nd Aug 2013, 19:38
I remember selecting the sets of levels you wanted to do next. Only problem was first time I did it I chose Nevada last and you lose all your weapons halfway through it. Makes the Antartica levels really hard when you go in missing some of the weapons.

Driber
22nd Aug 2013, 19:41
Just mentioned this to my GF and it turns out she initially didn't know about the level select in TR3, either, and she played about 3/4 of the game until she discovered that you can actually choose at the map. So don't feel bad, Ivana... you're not alone :D

IvanaKC
23rd Aug 2013, 00:20
Just mentioned this to my GF and it turns out she initially didn't know about the level select in TR3, either, and she played about 3/4 of the game until she discovered that you can actually choose at the map. So don't feel bad, Ivana... you're not alone :D

But still, I tried to convince Pidipidi39 that I was right. :lol:
I guess that women's supposed 'attention to detail' can be thrown right out of the window. :p

Murphdawg1
23rd Aug 2013, 00:34
I would like to see Croft Manor in every single TR game from now on. It's simply a place where a player can do whatever he wants, some kind of relaxing level.

Although your idea sounds good, I think we would lose the original feeling of the game. You have to come unprepared for the level, otherwise it's not an adventure and nothing can surprise you. Isn't that what it is all about in TR games - surprising enemy attacks, booby traps...

After Yamatai I doubt that Lara would go anywhere unprepared at least in terms of clothing,gear and weapons.

IvanaKC
24th Aug 2013, 14:51
After Yamatai I doubt that Lara would go anywhere unprepared at least in terms of clothing,gear and weapons.

I meant when it comes to enemies. Lara always had her guns, grapple and other gear with her. At least, in LAU trilogy she did.

pidipidi39
24th Aug 2013, 15:13
Just mentioned this to my GF and it turns out she initially didn't know about the level select in TR3, either, and she played about 3/4 of the game until she discovered that you can actually choose at the map.

But still, I tried to convince Pidipidi39 that I was right. :lol:
Don't feel bad about that :p

IvanaKC
24th Aug 2013, 21:24
Don't feel bad about that :p

I forgot to apologize, but I'm glad that we're okay. It might happen again, though, because I'm more stubborn than a donkey. :p

Thetford
11th Sep 2013, 15:46
If she is getting a country home, she needs everything a country home needs, you know, kitchen, dining room, lounge, study, hall, library, billiard room and a ballroom, but most of all, like any true Brit, she needs a conservatory to store all the exotic plants and wicker furniture she gathers on her travels. Colour coordinated dinnerparty guests optional.

AdobeArtist
11th Sep 2013, 22:44
If she is getting a country home, she needs everything a country home needs, you know, kitchen, dining room, lounge, study, hall, library, billiard room and a ballroom, but most of all, like any true Brit, she needs a conservatory to store all the exotic plants and wicker furniture she gathers on her travels. Colour coordinated dinnerparty guests optional.

You forgot the most important feature of a country home. The back yard pool ;) :naughty:

Driber
14th Sep 2013, 07:34
Here's some fun reading!

Business2Community – “Tomb Realtor: Lara Croft’s Manor For Sale” [Link (http://www.business2community.com/oddball/tomb-realtor-lara-crofts-manor-sale-0612304)]

PSU: “Lara Croft’s mansion is worth how much?” [Link (http://www.psu.com/a020944/Lara-Crofts-mansion-is-worth-HOW-much-Real-estate-company-examines-its-value)]

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
20th Sep 2013, 16:49
most definitely, YES.
i would love for it to make a comeback!

kiadaw
22nd Oct 2013, 08:40
The manor could be her hub, between globe jetting missions. Like the batcave, without the cave...& bats.

She will have all the tools, books, & computer to track archaeological secrets, from there, she can access where to go next. That will be cool.

Driber
22nd Oct 2013, 09:05
^ Oh man, there's gotta be bats in Lara's manor. Hiding in an old chimney or in those underground rooms for sure! :D

Thetford
22nd Oct 2013, 15:54
The manor could be her hub, between globe jetting missions. Like the batcave, without the cave...& bats.

She will have all the tools, books, & computer to track archaeological secrets, from there, she can access where to go next. That will be cool.

So a bit like TRIII were you could choose which mission to do in which order, but have it based at the Manor instead of a globe?

I suppose there could be a sort of a system where you have to choose which clothing (which have factors such as movability, weight, warmth, noise generation etc) most suitable to the environment, equipment to take (so mountaineering equipment vs diving vs spellunking equipment etc) though while she can complete any given mission with any equipment, it would be easier if she had one set, and certain paths to secrets and extras be blocked off if she didn't have the right equipment, and finally what weapons she takes factoring noise, weight and availability of ammo. The player could get clues what to take by going into the library (or just using the benefits of logic, guesswork or replaying the game again).

Yeah, in retrospect, I think that is going into too much detail.

Tsuki Hoshi
24th Oct 2013, 16:30
absolutely YES! :p

kiadaw
25th Oct 2013, 15:26
So a bit like TRIII were you could choose which mission to do in which order, but have it based at the Manor instead of a globe?

I suppose there could be a sort of a system where you have to choose which clothing (which have factors such as movability, weight, warmth, noise generation etc) most suitable to the environment, equipment to take (so mountaineering equipment vs diving vs spellunking equipment etc) though while she can complete any given mission with any equipment, it would be easier if she had one set, and certain paths to secrets and extras be blocked off if she didn't have the right equipment, and finally what weapons she takes factoring noise, weight and availability of ammo. The player could get clues what to take by going into the library (or just using the benefits of logic, guesswork or replaying the game again).

Yeah, in retrospect, I think that is going into too much detail.

Sound like the Normandy in Mass effect, minus the ability to fly. Like!

Chocolate_shake
26th Oct 2013, 14:29
I really dig the idea of a mansion serving as a central hub from which we can go off on story missions .

Maybe Lara gets a run down mansion all broken and dirty . Then the player has to do side quests and tasks and slowly the mansion gets repaired .....

I would also like a re-imagined Winston . I envision him to be a handsome fifty-something widower who is the caretaker of the croft properties. He is a witty , sharp no nonsense guy who isn't afraid of voicing disagreement with lara when he feels she is acting rashly/impulsively.

In the beginning of the game , Lara is always annoyed with him , but as the game progresses , she starts liking him and their relationship becomes similar to Batman and his butler

Driber
1st Nov 2013, 08:30
Forum member TRJTA re-created the outside of the classic manor in HD. Check out his thread -- which includes an awesome HD remake of the TR1 manor intro FMV -- here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=139744

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z103/journeytoavalon/Classic%20Croft%20Manor%20HD/ManorBannerSmall-1.png~original

Just imagine something like this in TR10 (or later)!

http://driber.net/os/fangasm-rainbow-puke.jpg

XylophoneDealers
1st Nov 2013, 10:28

Oh I would love it if it was a homely feeling as anniversary - with all of those books everywhere and it's a house of knowledge :3 I want there to be a lot of things to do there and many books to read. :D

Driber
27th Jan 2014, 16:13
I SO want to see Lara training like this in a cutscene in her mansion right before she sets off for her next mission :D

ftaQBR8Yas8

Metalrocks
28th Jan 2014, 05:19
I SO want to see Lara training like this in a cutscene in her mansion right before she sets off for her next mission :D

ftaQBR8Yas8

sounds like a nice little idea. or at least you have to make her work out like in GTA SA.

Driber
28th Jan 2014, 16:24
sounds like a nice little idea. or at least you have to make her work out like in GTA SA.

Oh god, that was so lame :lol:

Woogiemush
28th Jan 2014, 18:57
I'd really love to see a new manor, where we can explore, run around and jump everywhere. It would be so much fun! It could also be like a hub, where there are collectibles and relics, even an underground area that belonged to Lara's father, just like in Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Metalrocks
29th Jan 2014, 05:48
Oh god, that was so lame :lol:

it was at time annoying but a nice touch.

@woogie
i so hope this will be back. i loved it so much in legend and anni to wonder around the manor and discover all the relics and solve the puzzles.

Sarah_K
5th Feb 2014, 21:15
Yes, I want to see Croft Mannor. Yet I would also like to see Lara's flat in London Noah was talking about in that Q&A thing. :D

I could imagine Lara getting a bad feeling visiting the mannor. She didn't feel like someone who is pleased with having such wealth. At least I thought so (didn't the devs also say something like Lara wants to achieve something by herself and doesn't want to touch the money of her parents?). I would actually like that much better than old Lara's behaviour regarding that. :)

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
10th Feb 2014, 04:17

ftaQBR8Yas8

:worship::worship: yeeeeeeeeesssss :worship::worship:

pirate1802
10th Feb 2014, 08:04
Maybe Lara gets a run down mansion all broken and dirty . Then the player has to do side quests and tasks and slowly the mansion gets repaired .....

This idea is full of awesome. It would give the player a personal connection to the mansion, and would hit them hard if it is to be destroyed at some point in the future, kinda like what hapenned in the starting of Assassins Creed Brotherhood. And especially for me because I love building houses, currently having a blast building my house in Skyrim.. and hiring Lara as my steward :D

Driber
10th Feb 2014, 11:25
and would hit them hard if it is to be destroyed at some point in the future, kinda like what hapenned in the starting of Assassins Creed Brotherhood.

Or TRU :p

LaFabiana
10th Feb 2014, 20:07
I hope Croft Manor won't look (and feel) like some kind of Military Headquarter or something like that.

As you said, a run down mansion all broken and dirty because there was no one there to keep it "intact". (I know, there is this guy to lock into freezers yet I doubt he could handle this all alone.)
Would be much more believable, I think.

pirate1802
11th Feb 2014, 08:17
Or TRU :p

My knowledge of older TR games is limited, but I pointed out the AC example because in the previous game you actually build the villa yourself from a dilapidated condition.. then in the next you see the buildings you put in place in ruins.. :( That imo hits you harder than having a manor in top shape since forever and then having it destroyed.

BridgetFisher
11th Feb 2014, 09:35
My knowledge of older TR games is limited, but I pointed out the AC example because in the previous game you actually build the villa yourself from a dilapidated condition.. then in the next you see the buildings you put in place in ruins.. :( That imo hits you harder than having a manor in top shape since forever and then having it destroyed.

That would be a fun idea, to upgrade it as we go. Looting tombs to build mansion upgrades like shooting ranges, arsenal expansions, a HUGE walk in closet!!! Hedges are important to croft manor, this would be a fun idea. It actually makes tomb raiding useful unlike TR2013 where it was pointless.

AdobeArtist
11th Feb 2014, 12:10
That would be a fun idea, to upgrade it as we go. Looting tombs to build mansion upgrades like shooting ranges, arsenal expansions, a HUGE walk in closet!!! Hedges are important to croft manor, this would be a fun idea. It actually makes tomb raiding useful unlike TR2013 where it was pointless.

And the swimming pool. Don't forget the pool! :D:D

width=720

Jurre
11th Feb 2014, 12:20
^ It'll better be a ool so there's no p in it...

Metalrocks
11th Feb 2014, 15:42
lol. it would be so wrong if a pool is missing. how else can she learn swimming since she cant swim on yamatai? :p
maybe sam is her instructor :naughty: